Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Does anyone remember when it was a Honda trademark that you couldn't see the hood? My first new Honda was a '91 Civic and there was no hood in sight. You just had to learn how to judge with common sense. I also miss the really low cowl (dashboard) from the old Honda models.
    I still have yet to see a test of the automatic on the current Civic. Anyone?

Actually, Edmunds just tested the '05 EX SE automatic in a comparison test and recorded a 0-60 of 10.9 seconds. I know it can do better than that!
    I've seen several '05 EX sedans in Atlanta in the last week or so...by seen, I mean on the dealer websites. I'm in the market right now and have been waiting to see the new Civic before I make up my mind. The Mazda3 is the only other car on my list and it's a tough call between it and the new Civic.
  • widow1widow1 Member Posts: 39
    You cannot pay any attention to inventory on dealer websites. They have a notoriously difficult time keeping them updated even if they attempt it. I did try today a NJ and a CA dealership suggested to me by two of the posters in the forum. Power Honda in CA had a number of 2005s as Matt said but no Ex Sedans in automatics. The NJ dealer did have one listed in his inventory, but it turned out they'd sold it. I've emailed a few dealers in the greater NY city area and in Chicago that listed them in their website inventories, but have yet to hear from any of them. My expectations are low. I already have a grey 2004 EX sedan, but,as its paid for, I'd prefer to sell e before the warranty expires as I like to trade every 2 years. I'll keep looking.
  • widow1widow1 Member Posts: 39
    Mr. Cowboy, I didn't think you were making light of my defog concern. Just joshing around with me in a lighthearted manner. Anyway, I like your style. A real gentleman. Believe it or not, I can relate to your big city driving dilemmas. I spent 3 years on the LA freeways driving 110 miles daily from Pasadena to Riverside to attend UC-Riverside. Oh, the driving experiences I had. I still remember crossing a small river bridge coming out of Riverside one afternoon. The Santa Ana winds were blowing and they took a 5 gallon metal bucket off a guy's truck and put it under my car at about 60 mph in rush hour traffic. So I've done a 180 in reaction and come to the prairies of the Great Plains where the only thing on the highways and byways with me are the road kill.
  • agalasagalas Member Posts: 38
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4575932155&fromMakeTrack=tru- e

I predicted a new civic on ebay by year's end, and I am amazed at the speed. Thus a new prediction, by year's end a 2006 Civic will appear, with a minumum of 5,000 miles on it, and it will sell MSRP.

Interesting to see how much this 2006 LX sedan will go for. I personally think they are fools for asking $18,500 to start with a car that costs $19,500 out the door.
  • crandlemancrandleman Member Posts: 65
    No offense, but that wasn't a very bold prediction. It was about as risky as predicting snow in Canada this winter.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    SEller has negative feedback. I would stay away.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    SITTING IN THE SEDAN YOU CAN'T SEE WHERE THE FRONT OF THE CAR IS. YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE HOOD TO GET AN IDEA WHERE FRONT IS. HAS ANYBODY SIT IN THE COUPE AND IS IT THE SAME.

Where have you been in the last 20 years? None of the Honda's I have owned, starting with 1985 Honda Civic, you could see the hood. It is called AERODYNAMICS, if you weren't aware.

That shoudl have read ...1985 Honda Civic, you could not see the hood. It..., my bad. I should have read it before posting. That was my first comment when I switched from 1983 Chevy Celebirty to 1985 Honda Civic, "I can't see the hood!" The sales guy explained that it was done to cut down on the frontal wind drag.
  • yesrohyesroh Member Posts: 290
    Yes...the Accords and Civics have heat-reflecting glass. It does make a big difference, I can tell you that.
    Never did the MS150. I didn't like the idea of riding 75 miles, camping overnight, and then riding 75 the next day. You can do 150 in a day...actually, under 10 hours is not too much to ask. Well, that was the old days. I'm a little heavy right now but I think I could ride myself back into shape. I did a race this year and finished top half for the entire group (it was mixed licensed riders) for a time trial. That's about all I do anymore. I can still hurt a lot of people in a fairly flat time trial. Weight isn't as much a factor there. I'm almost 40...might have another 15-20 years in me if I don't get injured.
    I rode my first century in 1982 on a Schwinn Collegiate Sport which was designed more for riding around the block than running away from home, which is what I did. I had upright handlebars, and 40 pounds of carbon steel and cheap rubber! I rode that bike into the ground and then joined the Air Force and bought a real bicycle...a Klein Quantum. Am I off subject...oh right....yeah Honda! Buying Honda was just an extension of the tree hugger in me, as well as the cycling. I still commute occasionally and people tell me I inspire them...I mean really! I ride 5.3 miles, round trip, to church some time. It's hardly a ride but I know they were just trying to be nice. People need to get out and ride! Get out and walk! Anything! There's a whole world out there that you can't appreciate in a car.
    It was an '04 Accord, I believe, and it was back in June or July, so it was very nearly two years old. It was a Honda Certified vehicle I saw in the newspaper but never followed up on. I think it had very low miles. Find a Honda certified used Accord with low miles and I think you could do 15K
  • disappoiteddisappoited Member Posts: 13
    The 06 civic, you can not see the hood when driving. you can not see it from the drive seat no matter how you try. I have had honda though out the years and you could always see the hood even if you had to leaned ahead but with this one there is no, no, no way
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    How many Hondas have you had? Which ones? I have personally driven cars including the '00 Odyssey, '96 Accord, '97 Civic, '87 Civic Wagon, '02 Accord, '02 CR-V, and '05 Accord and Odyssey. How many cars could I see the end of the hood on? None. Always the base of the hood near the windshield, but never near the headlights. I'm not sure what long, flat-hooded Hondas you have been driving, but none of my family's 16 Hondas over the years have ever had a hood like you describe, soundling like an eighties model Oldsmobile: long and flat.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    When you drive a car like the '06 Civic (or my '85 Civic S or '88 Civic LX or any number of other cars out there with sloping hoods), you quickly learn by "feel" where the front of the car is. That's even more important on cars with low valences in front--which the '06 Civic has, by the way--so you don't scrape them on curbs in parking lots.

Anyway, there are lots of cars available with straight hoods if that is important to you, e.g. the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Marquis, or small cars like the Scion xB.
    I've never been able to see the hood on any cars I've owned. It has never bothered me at all. If it makes you nervous, don't worry! Besides, if you have a long, flat hood, you would likely still not be able to see the bumper because it would be obstructed below the tall grille. It's nothing to worry about...all you who are concerned.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My thoughts, exactly.
    I think so many people have just gotten used to seeing the massive hood on their Stupid Useless Vulgarities (SUVs).
  • flight13flight13 Member Posts: 43
    I just got done test driving an '06 LX Sedan Auto in Santa Clarita, CA (So. Cal.). I'm in the market for an EX with Navi but this was the only one they had left. Overall I liked it and will wait for the inventory to grow so I can get exactly what I want for $300-500 over invoice. The 2 issues I had were: it is true, you can't see the front end no matter what you do; the air conditioner does not get very cold (and yes I had all the settings correct). I can get over and used to the front end so that's not a real big issue. The air conditioner is however. It is about 85 degrees out right now so I feel the air should have done more than an adequate job. I would hate to see it when it's 110 out like it was a month ago. I'll test an EX when it's available just to make sure it isn't a model issue with the air. Called about 15 dealerships in the area and spoke to the internet managers, every one of them quoting MSRP for any '06 Civic. I had one clown in Woodland Hills tell me MSRP + $1000.
  • mcap56mcap56 Member Posts: 48
    I have been waiting to buy an 06 EX but from what I am hearing, I am going to wait a month or two. Honda may have done a decent job with the car but the launch strategy is ridiculous. They kept all of the information tight and didn't let anyone know anything until the 15th of September. Then, at that point, they let a few models onto the lot and let the dealers charge MSRP with no incentives, financing, etc. Wouldn't they be better off getting a lot of these on the road right away and creating a buzz. Everyone who comes onto this board has decided to wait pretty much. At at MSRP, I don't think they are going to get many sales. They may even loose some to Toyota and Mazda.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    People have to pay the price for being in such a huge hurry to rush out and buy a new model. Nothing new with this Civic.
    It is kind of fun to drive around in a car that not many others will have for a few weeks and have people ask you "what kind of car is that?" Most people haven't seen all the Civic pics on the internet.

I'm sure some people who want the thrill of being the first owners will be standing in line to buy the new redesigned Camry LE at full MSRP the first week they hit the lots next year despite the same cars being a dime a dozen months later.
    Older design cars like the Corolla will be heavily discounted until their next redesign so people can justify buying them based on price.
    we are talking about a car. i have never felt where my front of the car is when there is no possible way you can tell when you are sitting in it. now my arm i can tell where it is by feel. but you have to see the top of the hood to tell where the rest of the front is unless your driving some thing with out a front end like a cab over truck.
  • kknowleskknowles Member Posts: 15
    I'm about to become a first-time Honda buyer, and appreciate all the useful posts here. I'm getting rid of my 2000 Mitsu Eclipse, which has been the best car I've ever had, primarily because of increased gas mileage. I average 26 mpg, and I'm hoping I can get 36 in the Civic, for a mostly highway commute.

I took a short drive in an 06 LX sedan 5-speed and liked it a lot. Didn't go over 45, but it seemed quiet and well built. Was suprised that ride seemed stiffer than expected, but I prefer that.

My favorite part was the dash. Publicity photos seem to show the dash at night, with a lot of black background, but in the day it has a lot of cool blue in the background. The expansive windshield didn't bother me at all, even though I have hated a friend's old Lumina minivan for its windshield (among other things).

I also liked the height- adjustable driver's seat which allowed me to sit somewhat low (my preference). My wife has a Maxima, and you just can't get the seat right compared to the steering wheel. The Honda was a great fit.

It's a real plus that the stereo will play MP3 discs, but I found the speaker system to be quite lacking. Didn't look like there was an option for high-mounted door tweeters, although that may be different on the coupe. Judging from the Honda brochure on the coupe, it may not have the little tiny windows between the front doors and windshield. If that area is solid in the coupe, tweeters could go there. The stock rear deck speakers had the tiniest magnets I've ever seen on a speaker. Shamefully cheap.

The interior had cupholders and storage in all the right places and sizes that I'm used to in my Eclipse.

The clutch was very unusual in its complete lack of resistance. I can get used to it.

I find most 05 Civic sedans to be quite ordinary looking, and like the looks of the 06 much better, except for the front corners below the headlights on the sedan -- too angular and jutting out. It appears from photos the coupes will be different, and better.

The sticker on the LX manual sedan was $17,060, including destination. The auto is about $800 more. The manual coupe will be about $16,800.

I am planning to buy an LX coupe 5-speed when they become available (probably next week, I'm told), assuming I like them in person.

In early discussions, the dealer (Ancona in Olathe, Kan.) told me I wouldn't have to worry about paying more than sticker. "Honda never sells over sticker," the manager said, contrary to some posts here. I asked about discounts, and he claimed they only make about $1,400 (apparently refering to the 05). Haven't read much about "invoice"prices.

A week later, I told them I would not bring myself to pay sticker, and asked them how long it would take to get one $500 off. They said they could only do $300 or $400. I said I'd probably take one for $400 off, and they agreed.

I can appreciate all the talk about waiting to get a better deal, but it's just not worth it to me to stress about a couple hundred more in savings that would hardly budge my monthly payment.

My rationale:
    - I'll immediately begin saving $50 a month in gas on my long commute.
    - My payment will be $80 a month less than my old Eclipse payment.
    - Compared to the 05 models, I'm getting critical features like ABS at an LX price instead of an EX price.
    - I've been astounded by Civic resale values, and paying a little more up front doesn't bother me because I know I'll lose less in the long run than on other cars.
    - $16K just isn't that much for a good new car. I paid that much for a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix that I never really liked.
  • terrasyncterrasync Member Posts: 3
    I've just bought the 2006 Honda Civic Ex Sedan (Blackhawk Night Pearl with Ivory Interior) for 100$ over invoice (18,071) + $626 (Dealer fees) :) at Shack Findlay Honda, Henderson, Nevada - It sounded to me as a good deal for the recently launched model and it was well in my budget :D . The drive is awesome and the engine was responsive. I considered the mazda 3 and 2006 Honda civic and after extensive research and test drives the 2006 Civic won my heart. The Mazda 3 might be sportier but it lost points in the driver position as i felt crampier (being 6' 2'') in its cockpit and it has lot of blind spots. :mad:
    Check out the pics.
    http://www.egr.unlv.edu/~seera/
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    $626 in dealer fees is very high. Sounds like you really paid $726 over invoice plus any taxes and state fees like registration, but that's not bad this early as long as they didn't also make a lot of additional money on a trade-in of your old car, markup above the lowest base rate on financing etc...
    I drove a lot of honda's also, but I guess I am more than 5 foot high and use to seeing the hood plus I have never been involved in an accident
    refer to previous post
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    I enjoyed looking at your pics, and I'm glad you got the vehicle you wanted, but... what's up with the $626.00 in "dealers fee's"? What were the fee's for? The sales manager's new swimming pool fund?
  • creamyamcreamyam Member Posts: 24
    Is that a bottom hinged pedal(the accelerater)?
    :surprise:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What a coincidence, I am more than five feet high too! That is great that you have never been involved in an accident, but I fail to see what that has to do with the '06 Civic. Are you saying that if you buy a Civic, you fear you will have an accident in it because of its sloping hood?

OK, so you hate the fact you can't see the hood in front of you on the Civic. You seem to really hate it. So, why are you still hanging around here, in a discussion devoted to the '06 Civic? The hood won't be changing for at least another five years. It looks like the Civic just isn't the right car for you.
  • playplay Member Posts: 38
    I can appreciate all the talk about waiting to get a better deal, but it's just not worth it to me to stress about a couple hundred more in savings that would hardly budge my monthly payment.

My rationale:
    - I'll immediately begin saving $50 a month in gas on my long commute.
    - My payment will be $80 a month less than my old Eclipse payment.
    - Compared to the 05 models, I'm getting critical features like ABS at an LX price instead of an EX price.
    - I've been astounded by Civic resale values, and paying a little more up front doesn't bother me because I know I'll lose less in the long run than on other cars.
    - $16K just isn't that much for a good new car. I paid that much for a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix that I never really liked.

Everyone's situation is different. You understood your rational. You went for it. Good for you.

Enjoy your Civic.
  • wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    Just test drove a civic 2006 sedan ex in Miami it was 85 degrees with high humidity and the air conditioner was great, so dont buy that test car, try another. I was very impressed with the brakes, great feel and great stopping power very graduated. As to performance and road feel, Honda clearly was benching it against the mazda 3. The steering is wonderful, no excessive play, when i want to change lanes dont want the car doing it for me. Great car , the only problem noted was the noise, not that quiet, not as loud at the mazda 3 but they could have put some more insulation in. As to colors, I have now seen the white, alabaster silver , the royal blue, the red (dont know which one more maroon color). The silver is nice has better patina then the old civic silver and the royal blue looks just like the blue on the acura tl. Very rich blue. The maroon is fine but dont like the color on any car. Would love more info about the gray silver that is coming. As for the stereo is was fine, nothing to write home about. Oh the sunroof, noisy when left open after 50 miles an hour. Plenty of room back and front, and the backseat folds almost flat, You will not be putting a 36 inches tv in the back but not a bad trunk. There are so few civics at the moment that they are pushing the 06 accord vp. (which looks more and more like the old avalon). BUT NO ONE HAS A COUPE. HAVE NOT SEEN ONE YET
    #1670 of 1686 Re: WHERE THE HOOD [yesroh] by allfiredup Sep 17, 2005 (3:20 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: yesroh (Sep 17, 2005 11:23 am)

I think so many people have just gotten used to seeing the massive hood on their Stupid Useless Vulgarities (SUVs).

I sure thats right.

Here's what they look like in my rear view mirror in AZ :mad:

But wait! If they see nothing but hood.......They can't see the road. :sick:

What are they going to do? How will they know where to drive?? : )
    It's a real plus that the stereo will play MP3 discs, but I found the speaker system to be quite lacking. Didn't look like there was an option for high-mounted door tweeters, although that may be different on the coupe. Judging from the Honda brochure on the coupe, it may not have the little tiny windows between the front doors and windshield. If that area is solid in the coupe, tweeters could go there. The stock rear deck speakers had the tiniest magnets I've ever seen on a speaker. Shamefully cheap.

If there is a plus in all this, it may be that speakers are easier to replace and still end up with a professional job. If the OEM head unit is bad, you never end up getting the same tight, rattle free fit, at least that has been my experience.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Hmmm ..........can't see the hood?? I can see the hood in my 91 Toy truck and 87 Corolla and my new Ridgeline. This no hood thing will seem a little strange, but exactly like driving in the video game Grand Theft Auto. I can't wait to get my 06 Si more than ever. Now I just have to decide between my AK-47 or Browning 9mm. :D
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    w/ the same 160w output, & audio controls on the steering wheel.

The '06 Civic sedan is like a sedan version of the '95 Odyssey w/ sloping hood & additional side glass ahead of the windshield. I'd stick some fake antenna on the front corners as markers. I'm really sick of snail drivers in the parking lot...

During early '90's, Mercedes S-class even offered 2 rear markers that pop up on the trunk corners every time you shift into reverse.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    Terrasync... Was the price. $ 18,071 + $ 626 = $ $18,697.00 Total with tax or without tax ? I was quoted $ 21,588.00 out the door with the NAV system, which is about $ 1,750.00 alone. Tax, fees, all included

Thanks for any response
  • george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    I requested price quotes via internet from all the dealers in the NY Long Island area and received a quote for $16,800 for the 2006 Civic LX Auto including destination. This price seems to good considering most of the responses I received were for MSRP or close to it. Any one else receive good price quotes via internet requests??

I also test drove the new civic and overall I liked the car. I did not know what everybody was talking about when they said where's the hood until I saw the car in person. The hood on the new civic is shorter and the interior dash is much wider. I'm not sure if it makes a difference to me. The wider dash makes the interior feel bigger. In addition I did not notice a big difference in power compared to the 2005 civic.

Anyone else have thoughts on this.
    Get a huge Ram hood ornament
  • samminsammin Member Posts: 39
    Dumb question, where you able to get the quotes via email, or were all these dealers calling you? I'm up in Westchester and would like to make some inquiries, but would rather it not be over the phone. I noticed, even for the internet price inquiry, they want you to leave a phone number.
    You'll get over it. I learned to drive on a 1974 Ford Gran Torino. I could see the hood...I couldn't miss it! I also could barely drive the thing. That car was a parking nightmare. All of the Hondas I've driven in the 20 years after have had invisible hoods and I've never accidentally hit something with them, and never had near the problem with parking that I had with that Gran Torino. In fact they were a delight to drive and infinitely easier to place than the Gran Torino. Think of this...although you can't actually see the bumper, you can see the area close to it and therefore, judge your distance better. If you have a long, flat hood, the top of the hood which you are looking at is far from the bumper (because the hood doesn't slope). So you actually have less idea where your bumper is, therefore, more chance of hitting something. It's harder to judge distance on a car with a large, flat hood than one with a short, sloping hood.
    If that is still a problem, try the Ram hood ornament. If you don't go flying into a parking space at 10-15 miles an hour, a tiny little bump on the bumper won't hurt (that's why they call them bumpers). Either way, I wouldn't make this such an issue. Learn to love mystery!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    They appeared on my Escort, my Civic, my Accord, my I35, my Odyssey, and my MPV. My wife and I drive fine and park fine. (well... My wife has scratched the bumper to the Civic before...)
    Hi there...I didn't read your entire post but I wanted to say something. From my experience, the difference between a quick, well-powered car, and an underpowered car can usually be felt best at highway speeds. Most cars will do 0-30 pretty close to each other but when you are doing 55 and you need to get around someone, you'll need to get up to speed fast and use most of your horsepower. A lot of cars feel peppy below 45 miles an hour but when you try a pass at highway speeds, they loose steam. I always tell people to be sure and try to get to an Interstate or at least a good highway where you can try some highway passes. I think the Civic will do fine but you might not...you might want to try it out on a highway pass a few times and see how much kick it has.
    You know you'll have to do it many many times once you buy the car.
    You can't really 'solve' the problem unless you 1. Place a huge Ram Hood ornament on the hood. 2. Get Honda to redesign the front of the new Civic so you can see the hood. 3. Buy a different car with a visible hood.

I'm not sure what you want, but it's nothing to worry about. The new Civic, I believe, has day running lights. You can use these to judge distance by watching their reflection. This might work although I've never tried it.
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    According to Car and driver MAg, we should be getting the three-door... I need to go and ask dealer about that... tat would be great.. as I mentioned before...

btw: here is a pic of the EURO styling and the 5-door HB that will be sold only in europe (built in UK)... all of this infor is from Car and Driver Mag...

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/l_9142005102915.jpg

Igor
  • george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    To get internet price quotes for honda go to http://automobiles.honda.com and select the car you want to receive quotes for on the right side of the page. Then select Request a Quote on upper right side of page. Put in the model, trim and your contact information including zip code. This quote request site does not require you to put in your phone number unlike most of the dealer home page sites do. Then select the dealer you want to receive a quote from and submit. After you submit to one dealer just hit the back button and select another dealer and submit again. If you want to receive quotes from additional dealers that are not there just put in a zip code closer to the dealer that you want to receive a quote for and submit again. All contacts have been through e-mail. They do respond and ask you to call them and come down for a test drive. I just e-mail them back and ask for a price quote without giving my phone numbers out. Good Luck.
  • pres586pres586 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new car as my 2001 Volvo S40 is out of warranty, and it hasn't been the most reliable thing in the world (lots of minor problems). Thus, I'm interested in 2006 Civic EX Coupe or Scion tC. I have a couple questions.

1. The "350-Watt AM/FM/XM Ready®/CD Premium Audio System with 7 Speakers including Subwoofer" on the EX Coupe - most likely the speakers are going to be crappy stock type speakers, but does anyone know anything about the stock stereo/headunit? It's obviously a lot more integrated into the dash and has steering wheel controls, making it difficult to put in an aftermarket system. In other words, would replacing the speakers with some quality aftermarket speakers and keeping the stock headunit yield a quality audio system? (Maybe add some Dynomat too, I read that's some good stuff)

2. What's Honda's record for reliability of first year cars? I know Honda and Toyota are at the top in terms of reliability, but the fact that it's a first year car still makes me wonder...

Thanks a bunch :)
  • samminsammin Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the info on the internet pricing.
  • creamyamcreamyam Member Posts: 24
    Well i read in consumer reports about the first year car issue, and honda isn't phased by it. Honda slightly beat Toyato, but no worries for first year cars from Honda.
    Is the Sound system for the Si cheap?
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    -- 2. What's Honda's record for reliability of first year cars? I know Honda and Toyota are at the top in terms of reliability, but the fact that it's a first year car still makes me wonder...--

I bought the first year of the 4th Generation Civic - 1988 I believe - and I had quite a number of problems with it during the first year of ownership. The ECU failed twice (under warranty of course), a mysterious electrical gremilin would occasionally cause problems (later traced to a problem in the main wiring harness), and a brake master cylinder failure. After the first year, the Civic was fine. It was built in Ontario, not Japan or Ohio, but I wouldn't think that was the reason. Just first year teething problems . . .
This discussion has been closed.