Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• yesrohyesroh Member Posts: 290
    I read that article. I suppose that is a subjective thing...because many articles say the opposite. Sit in a Civic yourself and see if you like it.
    The 4-cylinder Accord might be a good compromise if you want performance and economy. Of course, the V-6 Accord is rated at 30mpg (the 2006's are rated 29). The 32 must be what you averaged, right? The 4-cylinder Accord is rated at 34mpg and in Motor Trend, or one of those, it took 8.5 seconds to 60mile an hour (with an automatic), and the 2006's have an extra 6 horses, so you'd probably be in the lower 8's. Not a bad compromise. The manual will be about a second faster and is rated 26/34 (average of 30mpg). And that's for the 4-door...the coupe would be a tick faster. So between the 4-cylinder Accord and 6-cylinder, you will lose about 1.5 seconds to 60 miles an hour, gain about 5 mpg, and save about $3000. For the best fuel economy to performance combination, though, get the Hybrid Accord. It's the fastest Honda automatic and gets 37mpg highway...not too far from the Civic. But it's $30K.
    It will if you drive conservatively. All these people complain that they don't get EPA mileage ratings and then you see them driving 15-20 miles an hour over the speed limit. Duh...how dumb can you get? Of course you won't get the mileage ratings if you drive that fast! I've always exceeded my EPA rating on every car I've had, consistently. Occasionally, I'll get worse, but as an average, I've always done better. It's just how you drive.
    I tried doing everything I was supposed to on my old manual tranny Hondas and still never got anywhere near the acceleration times I was supposed to. My old Civic LX was supposed to do 0-60 in 8.8 seconds...I think I broke 10 seconds once and that was because I didn't go to 3rd gear when I was supposed to. Normally, if I pushed it hard, it would take about 10.5 seconds. So I figured that auto should do better, and with less work and gear grinding. I think if you put a normal driver...not an inexperienced driver, but a normal driver with a manual transmission Civic next to a normal driver with an automatic Civic, and raced them, my money would be on the auto.
    It's not likely the new Si will outperform the RSX. It's heavier and has less power. Not likely...possible but not likely.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Autoweek says all the regular coupes will begin to arrive in the first week of October, and the SI has an on-sale date of December 1st.

As for the power issue, I am figuring the new Civic is about as fast as the existing Corolla, giving a plus or minus factor for gearing - the Corolla is a 4A, and the Civic is now a 5A. The new Civic has about 10% more power but around the same amount of torque as the existing Corolla and weighs about 10% more too.

It is a shame that Civic put on so much weight with this evolution, but it was bound to happen sooner or later, wasn't it? Lots of safety equipment and an altogether larger body conspire to put the pounds on. The Fit 5-door coming in the spring will be the spiritual successor to the Civic of five years ago, in terms of weight, size, and fuel economy.

Interesting: the new Civic EX coupe has about the same power-to-weight ratio as the Scion tC, only of course it weighs less overall so should be a bit more fun to toss around through the corners. Mainly for me, the HUGE advantage to the Civic would be the enormous difference in fuel economy. Once normal discounting starts to happen on the new Civics, the Civic EX coupe and tC should sell for about the same price. The Civic will have more safety equipment at that price of course.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• heejomanheejoman Member Posts: 33
    Overpriced?

I agree with you with your Camry LE scenario next year. However, small cars are in a different market.

Let's stick with a reliable cars (So I'm not going to try to analyze American cars and their another extended-extended discount program).

Camry, if they are at MSRP +, people will look towards at Maximas and Accord (reliable cars so I will not include VW or U.S. cars here). Rarely they will move up. If so, no larger reliable car other than Avalon available. Otherwise it's Lexus, Acura or Infiniti.

For small cars however, if Civic is at MSRP +, not only they will go to Mazda3 and Corolla, but move up to the Accord, Altima, Legacy, and heavily discounted Camry.

MPG concern? Yes it makes a huge difference when you are coming down from a mid to large SUV. But still less than $300 annual savings between Civic and Camry (12,000 mile drive between 30 and 40 mpg. Saving of 100 gallon per year and it's still less than $3 per gallon). In return Camry will have a better resale value (based on MSRP not what you paid for), and lower insurance.

When a car salesman throws the number $18K+ ttl to my face for Civic LX, I instantly think about bigger car or other brand for less $$$. After all, it has been less than 5 years when we paid $16.3K out the door (with no trade ins) for new Civic EX auto.

06' Civic EX auto? $19.5K. Yep, sensible Civic for over $20 grand.
  • 06civicexowner06civicexowner Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up an 06 Ex Sedan with Navi. The car is hot! I drove it on the highway for about 200 miles and found that I'm getting about 42mpg. The price I paid was a little over $20K and I feel that it was well worth it. I paid $17,500 for a new 2001 civic EX sedan/side airbags back in 2000. That car didnt have alloy wheels, security system, or navi. So I feel that for less than $3K more, I am getting alot more luxuries than the 2001 one which I used to have. For all the people that feel that it's not worth the price, Not everyone can afford a Honda!
    Just picked up an 06 Ex Sedan with Navi. The car is hot! I drove it on the highway for about 200 miles and found that I'm getting about 42mpg. The price I paid was a little over $20K and I feel that it was well worth it. I paid $17,500 for a new 2001 civic EX sedan/side airbags back in 2000. That car didnt have alloy wheels, security system, or navi. So I feel that for less than $3K more, I am getting alot more luxuries than the 2001 one which I used to have. For all the people that feel that it's not worth the price, Not everyone can afford a Honda!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    How fast were you driving - to get 42 mpg? Was any city driving involved? What type of tranny?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    was that 42 on a stick or automatic model?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I was averaging 70mph (65mph-75mph), Automatic Trans
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    My mistake. I've misread the sticker when you first posted the link to the picture, Steve.

Drummer, you were right. The MPG estimates are given for this Civic, not for other cars in the class. For other cars in the class the sticker says "not available."

So, then, 30 MPG city and 40 MPG highway would be averages. And 25-35 city and 34-46 highway would be the range everyone would be getting, depending on many factors, which affect MPG.

There's a great article about MPG in the outgoing Civic. It beat all subcompacts by a looooooong shot when tested in Canada by journalists. The new Civic has pretty much the same engine. Check this out:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/50-litre.htm

and the review of '06 Civic
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/06civic.htm
  • drexelnetdrexelnet Member Posts: 47
    Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.
  • smartladkasmartladka Member Posts: 1
    Test drove one in Ricmond VA. The seats dont go down all the way. I
    would say they go down about 80%-85%. Ride was very smooth.
    The price I was quoted was higher then MSRP. The redesigned
    interior is 9/10. Acceleration was ok.

Anyone has any suggestions on how to get a good price?
  • poopoo_headpoopoo_head Member Posts: 22
    any stick drivers out there ever consider getting an auto for no reason? i am a heel&toe type stick driver, but was thinking about getting the civic 5spd auto because it is 5 speeds in an auto...would maintenance of an auto be cheaper over 100k miles since you don't have to replace the clutch? but then you do have to periodically change the fluid? then again, maybe i'll pay a bit to have fun...the lower rpm at highway speeds is nice, though.

i suppose the new 06 auto has imperceptible shifts? closest i've been in is a recent camry with good auto shifts.

anyone have idea on when canadian dealers will receive 06 civic and if they are japanese?
    You probably would have gotten about 48-50mpg at 60 miles an hour.
    I was told before to put dealer against dealer...make the dealers compete against each other. Get a best price from one and then throw that at another dealer and see if he/she can beat it. I also found that buying over the phone worked well for me six years ago when I bought my car. Once I knew exactly which car I wanted, I dealed over the phone. It made me feel much more powerful because I could move about faster and if some of you are intimidated by smooth-talking salesmen, this will neuter them! You don't have to walk out of the show room...you don't have to look into their sad eyes. I loved it. Also, do the research before you go to the dealer. Make sure you know what you are buying or they could just feed you a lot of crap. I've caught Honda dealers in mistakes numerous times. I assume they were mistakes. But my source of information wasn't the guy who wanted to make thousands of bucks off me. If the dealer told me something I didn't know, I'd check it when I left to see if he was correct.
    I used to live in Yorktown (about 67 miles south of you) and was putting the Newport News dealer against the Williamsburg dealer. I was surprised to find the Newport News dealer could drop a few hundred more off his price than the Williamsburg one, and they were only about 20 miles apart. So just because dealers are in the same city doesn't mean their prices won't vary. Some larger dealers can afford to make less money per sale.
    I found I was better at driving a hard bargain when I had more than one car I was considering, but I'm assuming you want a Civic here, right? Oh well...if you change your mind, try that.
    You might also check sales taxes...they may be cheaper in North Carolina...just a thought. A 2% difference in sales tax could mean a $400 difference in a $20,000 car. I'm not sure if you pay the sales tax where you live or where you buy on a car. Check out this site:

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales.html

If you live next to a state border, it might be worth looking into.
    Hope this helps.
  • filmnewsfilmnews Member Posts: 18
    The civics starting out at 15K have no air, radio, sun roof, drum brakes, no keyless entry, no colored mirrors or door handles. The DX is a crappy car. The should stop making it. The Scion TC is a far better car for the price then the Civic DX and LX. Plus, the Scion has 20 more horsepower. I liked the way the Civic's looked and was going to buy one. Then I saw the price of a EX, and decided to jump to Scion.
  • drexelnetdrexelnet Member Posts: 47
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone might know, if i purchase a new 2006 Civic LX in Philadelphia, Pa, do I pay the taxes based on where I lived or where I purchase the car?

Thanks
    you will pay taxes based on where you live (or more accurately, where you register the car).

• heejomanheejoman Member Posts: 33
    Sounds like you are happy with your car.

I'm happy for you. I presume you will have your car minimum of 2 years. Being happy everyday is better than saving few thousand and hating what you drive. At least that's my opinion.

Was your $20K out the door or was it $20K +ttl?

Again, I am trying hard to comprehend the pricing with Civic. I still ticked off (maybe I shouldn't) as I hear people paying $600 over invoice in N.Y. where here they are the dealers have MSRP + $1,800 market adjusted price and bad attitude (as if they were the inventor).

Not everyone can afford a Honda. . . That is true to a certain degree. But again, with current pricing, I can afford Accord LX but not Civic EX. Is Civic trying to be like Altima and its upgrades in 2002? Maybe Accord will really move up in 2007. :confuse:
  • mudlumpmudlump Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone seen an LX with Royal Blue Pearl exterior?
    The web can never reflect the colors well.
    On the Honda website it looks VERY DARK.
    And the Atomic Blue looks pretty light.
    But a salesman told me the colors are pretty close to each other with the
    Royal Blue being very bright.

Anyone seen the 2 blues?

Thanks!!
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The Accord is not moving up in 2007. There will be a new Honda out by then that will be smaller and cheaper than the Civic for people who find the Civic too expensive. It will compete with cars like the Toyota Echo and Chevy Aveo instead of Corolla and Cobalt.
  • luiginoluigino Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a 2006 civic EX manual transmission w/o navigation sedan, and wondered what should I consider a good price? Mark Roberts Honda quoted me 416 over invoice, but they are really far away; I'd have to add $320 for a plane ticket, plus a 14 hour drive back.

What would be a reasonable deal out the door (w/o calculating interest)?

$18,000 + tax, title, & tags? I think my local dealer wants to quote me $18,250 + tax, title, & tags.
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    First of all the Accord is a car I already have, and I paid 22,234 for it brand new last year. (05 EX V6 Coupe) The Civic had a dealer price of 20900 which is a long way from 9000 difference someone argued on this site and my fuel mileage is 32MPG on the hiway, which I compared to the Civics 30/40 numbers. Accords can be bought at around a 2700 dollar discount at this time and Civics are being sold over MSRP and will be for a long time as long as gas stays high. One can buy a Accord LX four cyl. for about the same price as the dealer overinflated price,of the Civic, and I say that the Accords both fours and sixes are a better value and bargain than the jacked up prices of the Civics. Also, first year cars built in the USA are open to problems not encountered in later production. And do not forget that the Accords have a much better suspension than the Civics. I am just going to keep my Accord. By the way Accords run to sixty in the high 6's, and the Civic auto is around 9,5 according to several publications.
    I have seen both. The Royal is dark, but not excessively so. Certainly you won't get it confused with black.

Tha Atomic is lighter, but still at least a medium blue IMO. Darker than a baby/sky blue.

both do look nice, and the Atomic isn't too "boy racerish".

Thanks!
    I really didn't want a dark, more navy, color of blue.
    Appreciate it!!
    :)
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Did you ever get you question answered ? You posted on several forums? Here is an answer : midnightcowboy, "Honda Accord Owners: Future Models" #338, 16 Sep 2005 9:18 am

Good Luck Honda makes great NAVs,

MidCow
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    I have owned 3 Civics and 1 Accord in my lifetime (and also own a '99 Integra & '04 CRV currently).

I love Civics for their gas mileage, their reliability and many other reasons and was looking forward to purchasing an '06 EX to replace my '01 EX coupe. I 'm beginning to change my mind though.

Many people here are right. The sticker on the Civics is getting out of hand. I don't understand why. The dollar is weak against most currencies. They should cost less if it's assembled in Japan and if 30% of the parts come from Japan. In addition Corollas are still reasonably priced. You can get one loaded with ABS, alloys, etc. for $16K or less if you know how to deal because they 're dealing on them big time.

I paid $15.4K for my 2001 EX coupe 5sp. which was about $100 above dealer invoice, back in the summer of '01. That was the first year out and I was still able to get a great price (sticker was $16,995 first year out). My sister paid $16,100 for an '02 Civic EX coupe auto which was invoice. I can see an '06 EX coupe/sedan being around $17.5K but $18.5-20K? You can get a 4cyl. Accord LX Coupe/sedan for under $20K.

My friend got an '05 Accord LX coupe (4cyl) for just over $19K (manual) + tax. And in case you didn't know, Accord Sedans cost $400 less than coupes.. '06 Accords haven't gone up much and sticker is $21K on an '06 LX sedan. "Value package" Accords sticker for $20K including dest. charge. Those can be had $18something. You can get them for thousands less than sticker. I drove my friend's Accord LX Coupe and it's very peppy. Blows my '01 Civic EX away (even when my Civic was new and faster). It's very torquey (160ft-lbs) and 166hp. Not bad for a 3,000lb car. I saw a road test of an '04 EX Accord 4-cyl. 5-sp. and 0-60 was 7.7sec! The Accord LX is 75lbs lighter than an EX so they 're even quicker. Not sure how the automatic Accords are but they can't be that bad. Plus they 're bigger, roomier, and gas mileage is rated 26/34 for manual.

If everyone could hold off a few months in buying a Civic I bet we 'll drive the price down and maybe we can get them for close to invoice in the winter or next spring.

I probably won't be buying an Accord for my 160mi. daily commute. I prefer a Civic for the gas mileage, but for someone with a short commute or that doesn't drive a lot (like <15k/yr.) I 'd highly recommend you test drive an Accord (LX) with no add-on options to keep the price down. It rides very nice and it's 2.4L engine is pretty smooth and quiet.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • obie2obie2 Member Posts: 20
    Anyone know the exact invoice for the 06 Civic EX sedan (no Navi) The 05 MSRP and invoice were about 9% different. If that is true for the '06 then the invoice would be around $17,400. Just an educated guess. Matt
    '05
    MSRP 17510 (not including $550 destination fee)
    invoice 16003
    ---------
    dif 1507---9.4%

'06
    MSRP 19060 (not including $550 destination fee)
    invoice 17400(est)
    ----------
    dif 1660-----9.4%
    Every dealer I've talked to offered to take the added mark up off. Still think they will be below MSRP soon. I will wait for better price. Love Civics (this will be 4th) but my 2001 EX was 13700 before tax & lic. I did buy in July of '05, but that is a big difference in price to me. My 5 speed '05 Corolla w a/c was $9,995(before tax & lic). Maybe I should just buy 2 more of those! All that aside I drove the'06 Civic and do like it!
    Undecided in Cal, Matt
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I don't like the Civic pricing any more than you do, but I got a great deal on my 2003 Civic - way under msrp and overallowed my trade in addition - and a lousy deal on a Scion xA (strictly list price and underallowed my trade). And that lousy Scion deal was at Longo, one of the largest Toyota dealers in the world.

So I think in three months, right after Christmas, aggressive dealers will be discounting Civics by 7-10% off msrp, while giving great $$$ on trade-ins (relative to published trade in values).

This is Honda's way of avoiding public debacles like rebates and employee pricing. They look arrogant and overpriced on the surface, but if you try to work with a good dealer you will be amazed.

On the other hand it is hard to beat the tC's $16,000 price...can't argue with that.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I saw two Royal Blue LXes, one with ivory interior and one with grey. This was in bright sunlight. I thought the color was very sharp and rich, not too dark. I especially liked it with the ivory interior, which has a two-tone dash similar to the Accord and expensive European cars, with black on top and ivory on the bottom. But then I like tan interiors in general. The grey wasn't too bad though.
    Thanks!
    The dealers in Texas aren't doing more than $300 below MSRP. And I checked out the Mark Roberts dealership in OK that someone mentioned on this board a few days ago. They are quoting 16,791 instead of the 17,860 MSRP for a 2006 Civic Sedan LX Automatic. I want to order from them and know I want blue but it needs to be sharp as you say and not too navy.
    Thanks for all the help!!
  • roger227roger227 Member Posts: 5
    I have requested quotes from four LA area dealers on an '06 Civic Coupe EX with manual trans. The only one to respond so far offered $450 under MSRP for an auto trans. When I pointed out the mistake I got a new quote... at $350 under MSRP... for an auto tranny again. So I pointed out the error again and am waiting to hear back. They seem to be a little slower getting back to me this time.
  • tgraves1tgraves1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the HX will still be made in 2006 and beyond? It seems like the HX is the best deal going - you get hybrid type mileage but you don't pay the extra money that hybrids command.
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    I test drove an 06 Civic EX sedan automatic today. I'm generally impressed with the car. It was easy to find a comfortable driving position and all controls are logically located and easy to reach. Plenty of room to get comfortable, not cramped at all. The dash is futuristic, but I think it would be easy to get used to. Personally I have no problem with the digital speedometer and it's location. I would like to try it at night to see if it is distracting at all. And I would hope that the defroster is strong enough to keep the windshield clear, it's a big piece of glass. The wipers are nice heavy duty pieces, they should be fine for snow use.

The engine noise is fairly loud under hard acceleration, but the car is generally quiet while underway. It rode nice and the handling was fine under normal driving. I didn't get to push it all to see what the handling would be at above normal speeds. I also didn't exceed 60mph. It tracked straight with no drift. Very easy to drive and a relaxing car to drive. The sliding armrest is nice, the stereo is so so. There is some reflection of the dash on the windshield, but it wasn't a problem.

All in all, a very good car that should have great gas mileage. I was quite impressed as I am not a small car person. I still want to drive an 06 Mazda so I an compare them.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I like it too, but pricing is quickly going up.

Then again, Chevrolet asks nearly $20,000 for the top trim Cobalt. But it comes with leather. (cheap leather, but its still leather)

They'll discount though. In 3 months or so, a loaded EX-NAV model could probably be bought for a few hundred over invoice.
    But is that sales taxes or excise taxes? When I buy a car I pay sales tax up front and excise tax when I register the car. I think there may be a difference. Sales tax would go to the dealer who would, in turn, pass that on to the government. Anyone want to jump in on this?
    Nope...I don't see it. There were two reasons I didn't like the HX 1. It was only in a 2-door and 2. It didn't have ABS. Actually the second reason was why I bought the Accord instead. Well, let me restate that...I loved the HX! But I couldn't buy it because I told myself ABS was not something I would compromise on. Also, at the time I bought my Accord, you couldn't even get cruise on them.
    But if you look at the gas mileage of the new Civics they are pretty close to the HX. The old HX got 35/40 with the automatic and a 1.7 liter 117horse engine. The new Civics get 30/40 with an automatic and a 1.8 liter 140 horse engine. That's only a 7% decrease in combined driving with a 20% increase in power. Considering the increase in horsepower I wonder if Honda just didn't adapt the HX engine, increase displacement, and bump up the horsepower. Highway mileage is identical.
  • navlovernavlover Member Posts: 27
    The $695 security System... Is it an actual 'Honda' alarm system? I had a salesperson tell me that if I get an aftermarket alarm put on I would be voiding the warranty. Does anyone know about this?
  • wsurround1wsurround1 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the salesman when we were signing for the car stated this is a honda alarm system. Supposedly able to plug into existing wiring harness already on the car. Said feature of the alarm is that it has glass breakage detection, and will detect if car is being jacked up off the ground, for towing...also has ignition kill ...didn't go into much more features. I passed on the alarm, and thought the basic one built into the car was fine for me, since car will be in garage when I'm home....
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    As another poster put on here, I want a HX in the 4 door sedan or even better the 4 door hatchback from Europe. The previous HX got 44/36 for the manual now the maximum is only 38/32. That is a major difference. Even with the extra weight, there should be a manual geared and powered to get better than the regular Corolla - that is better than 41/32.
  • maleko42maleko42 Member Posts: 3
    Folks let's compare Apples to Apples...

2005 Civic Ex Sedan AT with side air bads MSRP 18,560
    Add the SE package to match 2006 MP3 450
    2006 Civic Ex Sedan AT MSRP 19060

So what is everyone screaming about $50.00 or maybe $500 if you don't throw in the SE Package.
    I'm sure that the 2004 was at least 500.00 less than the 2005.
    So I went to the Toyota site and built a Corolla LE with about the
    same options as you get with the 2006 Civic Sedan AT MSRP 19,999
    Yes, you can get this Toyota below MSRP. But good luck finding that exact module on
    the lot. You're going to have to order it and wait for it to come in.
    Next year the 2007 Accord be redesigned, and everyone will gripe about the prices then too.
    Only good thing is that the 2007 Camry will also be redesigned.
    So at least then the Honda vs Toyota prices will be equal.
    The dealers will soon be getting in more inventory than they can handle, and the prices
    will go below MSRP. In another 6 months or so the Honda Fit will be here in the U.S., and then those who are complaining about prices, can get the Honda Econ-box that the want.
    Well, I was looking at the automatic. I never did understand why they even had an HX! Why would you have a car with such great mileage, only 2hp difference from the LX, with the best transmission, and just use that on one car??? The old CVT on the HX could out-acclerate the 4-speed automatic on the EX which had a 10 horsepower advantage, and get better gas mileage at the same time. It could also out-pass the 4-speed. I've read the reviews on the two generations of CVT transmissions and HX's and I never saw a complaint. The testers loved them!
    I hear you man...but I suppose the HX had an extra high 5th gear. If you jack up the 5th gear on the new Civic it's possible to get better mileage...although you'd have to shift every time you hit a hill. I think 'hybrid' is all the buzz and Honda figured the HX and hybrid would compete. Or, how's this idea? Put the old 117 hp HX engine with an IMA system and have a performance hybrid version of the Civic, just like the Accord!!! I don't know man...I haven't seen anything about the lean-burn technology on the new Civics. Why in the world would Honda have an HX coupe and an LX coupe at the same time?
    Honda has to build based on what the customer wants. For some strange reason, I guess they didn't see a demand for an HX. We don't know what Honda knows. I guess they thought they would spend their time better improving their hybrid than advancing the HX.
  • cardog3cardog3 Member Posts: 4
    I agree with comments on the 06 Civic price. They should have left it at 05 level. I drove one this weekend and it was great. With the large windshield I hope the air conditioner will keep the cabin cool. If Honda wants to upscale the Civic they need to offer leather or buyers will go to the Corolla where they can get leather. It may hurt the Accord but at least they won't lose customers.
    Accord was just updated for 2006 model year, so the complete redesign will not be until 2008 model. New Camry will be a 2007 model.
    I think it's an advantage. You have two cars which are now updated every five years, but the Accord is always updated a year after the Camry, so for four of those five years, the Accord has the newer technology, or at least the newer design. It's an advantage, I think. Honda sees what works on the Accord, one-ups Toyota with the extra year they have, and then keep that advantage for four years.
    Maybe the demand for leather just isn't there. I for one don't want or need leather. I hear it's harder to take care of than cloth and the price premium isn't worth it.
    As far as keeping the '06 Civic at '05 levels...it's probably just a question of costs. The R&D for a new car is probably quite expensive. I'm sure if Honda could have kept their cars cheaper they probably would have. You can't just arbitrarily pick a price because you have to pay engineers, factory workers...expenses. The Civic is possibly the most advanced car in its class and that isn't cheap. Or perhaps they thought folks would pay a little more for the smaller cars with the gas prices higher. It's an advantage they could use to get better prices. If the gas prices drop down to about $1 a gallon again you might see Honda drop their prices.
    Just trying to think of a few different angles. I like to hear myself type.
    The MSRP is close to the same as a 2005 with the similar equipment and will be discounted much more when the supply is up and the initial sales rush of buyers who were waiting for several months or longer for the 2006 Civic to be released wanes.
    You can't expect the brand new model to sell at anywhere near the same discount as year-end clearance 2005 Civics and aging Corollas.
    I don't think Honda wants the Civic to be any more "upscale." Aftermarket leather will be available through dealers for the few who will want it in a Civic.
    I wonder how many people buy fully loaded Corollas with leather? What is the MSRP then? More than the Civic MSRP that you complain is to high.
    Your post makes no logical sense.
This discussion has been closed.