Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That's a photoshop picture. Where is the evidence that Honda will actually offer an Si 4-door in '06?
  • torn2torn2 Member Posts: 3
    That looks like one niiiiice car !
    I'm presently shopping for an EX, and I know that the next price I'm getting quoted is that car with the Si wheels and the rear spoiler (and the fog lights too ?)...
    The 197hp, I'm pretty sure that i'll be able to get aftermarket if I'm ever so inclined...

As for evidence, It can so easily be twisted anyway...
  • bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    The Canada only Acura CSX is being unveiled now (see here). Like the EL before it is just a fancied up Civic EX BUT it does have the 2.0l engine. However, it is only the 155hp 5 speed version - I guess they are worried the 197hp version would start to eat too many TSX sales. Point being here is that an Si version of the Civic sedan would not be too much work for them since they are already putting the 2.0l in the sedan.
  • bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
    It is really ashame that the interior & exterior of the Acura CSX is too similar to the Civic. They should at least put a little more effect on changing the dashboard & exterior appearance, etc.
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    My Accord will turn interior and headlights off in the same way also.
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    20K for a Civic!!!

WOW. 2 years ago I paid under $21.5k for my Accord EX-L manual including TT&L, that has leather, dual climate control, and power seats.

I haven't car shopped in 2 years, but inflation must be worse than I have heard.
  • 6spdtl6spdtl Member Posts: 30
    It's not inflation you simply have to check this 21.5 K civic out. Obviously the accord is larger and has slightly more equipment (the civic you are quoting is nav equipped which by itself is 2000 bucks your accord doesn't include have navigation) In the driving department the civic si completely blows any accord away (except in 0-60 for the most recent V6). The Civic Si is much better overall than the RSX type S, and similarly equipped costs about 4 K less. The Civic Si may wear a civic badge but it truly has an s2000 heart and is the best performance deal in the industry ;)
    Since George Bush became US president, the value of US$ had fallen from US$0.85 = Euro 1 to US$1.17 = Euro 1 (i.e. US$ had devalued 37%).

Your hard earned US$20K had now shrinked to worth less than US$14.6K when compare to the good old days a few years ago.

P.S. The price of gas had also more than doubled.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Has nothing whatsoever to do the price you pay for a Civic, but it would make U.S.-made Honda's more affordable for Europeans.

P.S. The price of oil is determined by worldwide supply and demand, and if you lived in Europe you love to pay what we pay here.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I guess it's bye-bye to Acura EL, based on the previous-generation Civic? Or will it still be made?
    US did not export any "affordable" Honda Civic/Accord to Europe (In fact, European model Civics/Accords are totally different from US model Civics/Accords).

US did import quite a lot of Honda Civics from Japan & Canada (especially on the West Coast). For your information, the exchange rate of US$ against C$ had fallen from US$0.66 = C$1 to US$0.84 (i.e. de-valuated more than 27%) in the last few years.

If you have watched the news lately, the US Senators are still investigating why the price of GAS in US fluctuated differently from the worldwide oil supply & demand.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    If you have watched the news lately, the US Senators are still investigating why the price of GAS in US fluctuated differently from the worldwide oil supply & demand.

I think the oil companies made a huge killing when the whole country was groaning under the high prices.....I think the amount of profit they made in the last quarter had never, ever happened before. That was not a straight supply/demand scenario...it was gouging. A side benefit from the high prices was the reality dose that was given to the bigger-is-better, super-sized SUV crowd.

Either way, I think the USD is catching up (belatedly) with the other currencies now. In recent weeks, the $ has started rising....along with the rise in interest rates.
  • torn2torn2 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if there is a big difference in breaking distances between the LX and EX sedan (rear disc vs Drums) ?
    Also, does the canadian version of the EX come with an adapter for an MP3 player ?
    And finally does anyone have pictures of a 2006 civic with dealer installed fog lights ?

Thanks all
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "US did not export any "affordable" Honda Civic/Accord to Europe (In fact, European model Civics/Accords are totally different from US model Civics/Accords)."

If you go back and re-read my post I never said that Honda exported U.S.-made Civics to Europe.

I don't think we want to get into an economics discussion here, but I'll just say this: the drop in the value of our dollar over the past several years, which makes it more expensive for us to purchase imported cars and other products - hasn't yet killed our appetite for imports. As long as we Americans are willing to pay a huge premium to have an import over a comparable domestic (and at the same time are not willing to more fully develop our own energy supplies) we will continue to run a huge trade deficit which in turn will continue to put added pressure on the value of our dollar.

Fortunately Honda - in their own self-interest - has developed U.S. manufacturing capability for Civics and Accords, so we can buy these cars without feeling too guilty about contributing to the problem.
    CSX replaces the EL. Starting at $25k CDN, I have trouble seeing the sense in the CSX. Sure, you can get leather, auto climate control, etc., with the 2.0l engine, but at that price point I'd rather go into an Accord EX or even a loaded Mazda3 (which is still cheaper). Otherwise, I think the Civic EX is a better deal given the car. However, if they put the 197hp Si engine in, that might be different...
  • hkjang1hkjang1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an lease offer from a dealer, and I'd like to know
    if it's good enough for me to go forward.
    I have a trade-in which I still owe $9000 and Honda dealer will pay $8000 for it. (that I'm happy with).
    For 2006 Civic LX automatic, they offered me $245 a month for 3 yr/36,000 miles, and $2,575 up front out of my pocket. $2575 includes paying of my trade-in, downpayment on the new civic, and all the fees/taxes.
    FWIW, Honda is running what I think is a nationwide lease offer on the '06 Accord LX SE automatic (with alloys and other goodies) for $239/month with about $2000 down, 3 years. So IMO the offer you have received on the Civic LX automatic is not very good, considering the Civic is a much less expensive car than the Accord LX SE. You might ask the Honda sales rep about that.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I guess the price is higher to reflect the fact that you are being "admitted into the Acura club." The prestige, you know, of the badge. It's like paying ten thousand grand a year just for the right to buy grossly overpriced tee time at some exclusive golf club.

Also, probably would get better treatment at an Acura dealer's, than at a Honda dealer's? I've never dealt with Honda dealers, how do they rate for customer service?
    Correction: today's paper said just under $2000 total up front (including first payment, taxes etc.) and 42 months duration on that $239/mo Accord LX SE lease.
    The Honda dealer I deal with is pretty good. Mind you, my buying experiences have been straight forward and the cars don't break on me so there is not much to complain about. It's when something goes wrong and how the dealer helps you out, that is the litmus test, and to this point I can't answer that (thankfully). I had an Acura EL for a while (got a good deal on the 1.6 when the 1.7 first came out) and the Acura dealer seemed good, but not such that I'd pay more for a car to get the supposed "experience".

The whole goal of the CSX (EL) is to get people into an Acura in Canada where we have just that much less $$ to spend than our friends to the south. In fact, Acura calls the CSX a "gateway" car to the Acura family. Regardless, with so many good cars in the range, i.e., Civic EX, Mazda3 just below it or Accord (or even the TSX) at or just above it, I don't feel it is worth it. Actually, at $25k CDN I'd almost be inclined to get the Civic Si Coupe.
  • 6spdtl6spdtl Member Posts: 30
    There should not be a huge braking distance difference, the main difference should be fade resistance.
    I think the canadian and US EX are identical in the stereo department.
    You can see pictures of the mounted fog lights in the build your civic portion of the honda website. ;)
  • hkjang1hkjang1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the info, but I'd like to compare with the deals people get with Civic, not Accord.
    I understand. I thought the information might be useful when negotiating with the dealer on the Civic lease. Good luck.
  • inklnginklng Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased (11/08) a 2006 Honda civic sedan. I had to wait for it for a month to come in and during that time there were no others available to test drive. When I picked it up and drove it off the lot was my 1st experience in it and it has been wonderful. I have driven manuals my entire life so was pleasantly surprised that the clutch and shifting are smooth and tight.

I am now experiencing a problem though, and took it to the dealer this am. When I go to shift, the acceleration rpms do not drop, causing the engine to rev (like pushing the gas while the car is in neutral although my foot is not on the gas). I thought maybe it was sticking or something.

I read before of the accelator pedal problems and the recalls, my honda is NOT in the vin list and the dealer checked this too.

So, they just called me and told me they called honda and what seems like the accelerator sticking is something "brand new" from Honda, which is that it is purposely built to sound like that to SAVE gas and EMISSIONS. commen sense tells me this is going to use more gas and cause more emissions.

Anyone else having a problem like this with the manual? I am having a hard time believing that Honda would sell a car like this on purpose. It sounds really cheesy and unhealthy for the car, like something's out of wack.

Please advise!!
    Unfortunately, the dealer may be right. I have seen this kind of behavior on other small cars. I think it has more to do with emissions than fuel economy. Does it happen only when starting cold or all the time? When I test-drove a Civic LX stick on a warm day this fall I did not notice the surging.
  • barry11barry11 Member Posts: 18
    It may in fact be a "feature" of the Honda. I have heard that engines dating back to the CVCC engine in the early 1970's have a design that prevents the throttle from closing too quickly when you take your foot off of the gas. This helps control the combustion process to minimize emissions. This should not add a disturbing delay, though. But like backy said, I feel like I have experienced this on other cars as well, such as Sentra, Focus and Golf.

One thing that might possibly be happening is that there really is something wrong, but the dealer may not want to do the repair, either because he has no idea how to or because it is under warranty or some other reason. As a result he is trying to tell you something that will just satisfy you and send you on your way regardless of the actual truth of what he is saying to you.

If you are convinced that something is wrong with the car but you cannot get the dealer to acknowledge it, ask them to let you test drive another similar car so that you can see that they all do it. If they are hiding something, this will reveal the truth every time. It may also help to ask them to write up a service order describing your complaint and their response to you, that way you begin to create a paper trail of the issue that you might need later to pursue this with the Honda zone manager or whatever. By asking for the test drive and the paper work, you are also telling the dealer very clearly that you are not going to allow yourself to be shoved under a rock like most other customers. That in itsself goes a long way to helping you get the best service.

Good luck and enjoy your new car!
    This is happening when the engine is warmed up...
    When I went to pick up my car, I took the service assistant mgr for a drive to show him. I also asked to drive another car, they have to find one I can drive (from another dealer because they are due for any until December). The district manager is going to contact me and go for a drive with me and they called the Honda tech back again last night and spoke with him again while I was standing there. The only thing I haven't yet done, is get the paper trail created. Good thinking, thanks!
  • dinosaurdinosaur Member Posts: 19
    Actually, I believe that what Honda and your dealer are telling you is correct. It is a trait of the emissions control system in many modern cars. My 2004 Subaru Forester exhibited exactly the same behavior and its noted on the Subaru boards that this is normal behavior. I eventually adapted to it by slowing down the shifting process, which is probably what you'll have to do. I have an '05 Civic VP 5-speed and haven't really noticed the problem, although I don't have a tach to watch the RPM's. I think I've just gotten accustomed to shifting more slowly so that the engine doesn't rev.
    No need to wait for a few months....the 06 Civic had already been choosen as Car of the Year...all 4 models

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/22/Autos/honda_civic_motortrend/index.htm

MMmmmmm...it is less than a month....what had you predicted? user1235?

P.S. some of my neighbors still do not know the new 06 Civic had come out yet...
  • barry11barry11 Member Posts: 18
    Another good thing about creating a paper trail like that (and this probably won't apply to your problem in this case) is that if you complain about something during the warranty period and you have a record of it, and it then becomes a bigger problem after the warranty period, you can use the proof of the original complaint to get the repair covered. So it is always a good idea to save your service orders from the warranty period.
  • brianb3brianb3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased my 06 Civic LX and I love it. It's a great car. The only problem I'm having is with the windshield wipers. They really don't clean the windshield. They leave it very streaky which makes it hard to see. Anyone else having this problem?
    I too have an 06 Civic LX. I am really picky about having clean windows and mine seem to do the job (no streaks). It could be something on the wiper blades? I am used to them going back and forth in unison so I am still getting accustomed to the way they work.

posted earlier with a possible rpm/throttle sticking in mine. Do you notice any of that when you shift? Like when you shift it sounds like you still have your foot on the gas?
    Maybe when the dealer washed & removed the protective plastic lining off the car, some wax (or glue) stick on the windshield.

You may want to clean the windowshield with some soap & try to rub off the wax or glue with a dry towel.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    During warm-up it will happen because of automatic-choke. But warm-up should be 30 seconds or less uless you live in a very cold climate. It the engine doesn't go back to idle ( 800 RPM) after warm-up when you let off the throtle, then you have a problem. Good luck in getting it fixed.

Thanks,

MidCow.

P.S. - no problem with 2005 V6 manual Accord. I do have a maual 2002 IS300 that backs off slower when you let off the gas.
    Yeah that's what I thought, that it's a problem. However the dealer and the tech are telling me that it's supposed to be that way and they won't let me talk directly with the tech.

I am going to drive another car at the dealership today.

My car is not dropping rpms at all when I shift, they stay the same (right up there where they were when I pushed the clutch in) causing the engine to "race." In fact, this morning, after the thing was warmed up, the rpms actually jumped up (between 3 and 4 on the tach) when I shifted.

I am wondering if you had heard about this problem before?
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    jkrumm,

I own an 05 Tacoma. My issues with this vehicle are with the security alarm going off at any time with no provocation. Toyota has replaced the computer, the 4 door lock mechanism where the security alarm sets, and still it goes off. I assume that there may a wire somewhere that grounds at random times causing the problem. Since Toyota can't seem to rectify the problem, I am going to talk to the dealer about disarming it and having the dealer arrange replacing it with an aftermarket alarm system. I am tired of paying monthly payments for the blank looks when I tell them that this problem is yet to be rectified.

B
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Planning to lease a Civic LX for my daughter. The sales brochure marks all 06 Civics as having DRL. But then some new buyers here were complaining about their LX not having DRL, and one was trying to explain that the DRL on the Civic is not a "real DRL"......

Since I am a great believer in DRL, and simply REFUSE to be bothered with switching the headlights on and off (haven't touched that switch for the past 12 years, driving Camrys mostly) --- my question is DOES THE NEW CIVIC LX HAVE DRL OR NOT?!
    According to the Civic web site, ALL 2006 Civics have automatic DRLs:

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/safety_overview.asp?ModelName=Civic+Sedan

Best thing to do is go drive one and check the operation of the DRLs to see if they meet your requirements.
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    I think you are confusing DRL with auto on/off headlights.

DRL stands for "Daytime Running Lights". These come on when the car is in gear on an auto transmission, and when the parking brake is off on a manual (usually). They are low level lights to make the car visible and more noticeable to other drivers, and are not bright enough for night driving. You will still have to turn on the headlights for low beam at night.

Auto headlights automatically come on when it gets dark and turn off when it is light enough out.
    ...So what you're saying is, driving this car, I (or rather my daughter) would have to remember to switch the lights on at dusk, and off when shutting the ignition off?

That's not acceptable for me... On my '05 Accord I leave the lights on all the time, and they shut off few seconds after the ignition is off and I leave the car. It's not the real DRL, but it's still OK for a person who has been accustomed to not dealing with the headlight switch....

I'd expect the Civic to have at least a similar solution, no?
  • eric29eric29 Member Posts: 49
    Perhaps you should go to a custom shop and ask them to disable the DRL system. It could be as easy as pulling a fuse.

It won't "void the warranty" unless it caused the car to burn up, in which case your insurance would cover it. People have custom shops add things all the time. On a van I owned, I had a shop add a backup sensor that warned me when I approached something when I was backing up. The dealer said that is was a great idea. People add alarms - I added one. I added a sterio system. The dealer said that the warranty didn't cover the added items and that if they didn't work, I had to go back to the shop that installed them. They never hassled me about any warranty work.
  • eric29eric29 Member Posts: 49
    I test drove Civics and I'm getting one. I didn't experience this. I've never experienced it on an automatic. It sounds like something is wrong.

Go to another dealership and test drive another Civic and see if it does this. or take the car to another dealership for a check. You can go to any Honda dealership for warranty work. One of the mechanics will test drive it and tell you if something is wrong.

Dealerships get paid for work they do; so I don't think that the mechanic will lie to you. You could be dealing with a mechanic that isn't that good.
    My car has DRL & it is a great idea.

I found it specially useful when my car is going around the corner in a covered car park. Other cars can see my lights ahead of time & knows that my car is coming around the corner.

It also help other people to see me & save me the trouble of forgetting to turn on (& off) the headlights in daytime when the sky is getting dark & rainy, snowy, foggy, etc.
  • stlouiestlouie Member Posts: 2
    I drove 157 miles and only used 3.1 gal of gas. It was strictly hwy miles with a 30 mph tail-wind. I was very skeptical that my new Civic EX sedan would get 50 mpg even in these conditions. When I made the return trip the same day with a strong (about 20 mph) head-wind I was amazed to see I got 42.7 mpg. I try to fill my tank exactly the same way each time. I have gotten as low as 34 mpg in city driving with a minimum of hwy driving.
    It's a great car all around. I bought mine in St. Louis, MO and it's a Japanese made car. I wanted American made but realized after I bought it that it wasn't. I drove several models before buying my EX sedan. I planned on driving a Jetta after the Honda, but bought the car on the spot.
    I also had the dealer install the sub-woofer and a remote car starter. HAD to have the remote starter. The cost for the starter was $500, but it didn't void my warranty like one put on from somewhere else.
  • rlr365rlr365 Member Posts: 1
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks now, and yes, I have noticed this too. I've also noticed that when I push the accelerater hard enough for the car to downshift, there is a delay between when the rpms jump up and actual acceleration--that is, it seems to take a second for it to engage. I'm going to check with the dealer to see if it is supposed to be doing this.

Have you heard anything else about it?
    So your DRL is the one which turns on the light ALL THE TIME, and you don't have to worry about your lights ever, right?

That's what I expect from a modern car in the 21st century... Since 1993, leasing my first Camry, and for 12 years (thru 3 Camrys, and then an old Accord which I spent $250 to add the automatic lights) I haven't touched the lights switch... Never had to worry about it. That's what I'd expect the new Civic to behave like.
  • jnuzzijnuzzi Member Posts: 39
    Sorry to disappoint you, but that is NOT the way DRL's work. The DRL's ARE on all the time. However, you CANNOT drive at night with JUST the DRL's. You WILL need to turn on the headlights. Or you could pay the $250 again to have auto headlights installed again. :)
  • mac25mac25 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,Go to your dealer. There was a recall for some 06 models for the accelerator pedal. They will type in your VIN number to see if you need it fixed. I had mine checked and fixed about a week and a half ago. it's fine now. I have an EX Auto transmission.
This discussion has been closed.