Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• gbreitlinggbreitling Member Posts: 14
    really some of you take this all a bit too seriously... ENJOY your cars!! its not life and death!!!!!!!!!
  • eric29eric29 Member Posts: 49
    Some Civics have heated side mirrors.

The manual (p 97) says that on Canadian LX and EX models, pushing the rear window defroster heats the mirror.

I don't know if this is for Canadian LX and all EX models or Canadian models only. The manual isn't exactly a study in good writing.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Ohhh, so good to know the newer BMW has DRL (one more car maker that got logical)....

So why don't I ever see those Beemers driving around with their ligfhts on?
  • barry11barry11 Member Posts: 18
    "The manual (p 97) says that on Canadian LX and EX models, pushing the rear window defroster heats the mirror."

This makes me want a Canadian Civic. Well, at least the Canadians are enjoying warm mirrors. I guess they really need them up there.

Now, if there were side mirrors available that had both the heat and the turn signals built-in and was a simple plug-in installation to the existing wiring harness, I would be very tempted to buy them.
  • bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
    It is a waste of time to say anything, just go to the BMW website in USA & look under "safety & security" for any BMW3 :

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/2006330isedan/features.htm
    Canadian and european cars get many options that we never get to see here,and occasionally a manufacturer like Honda offers a car like the Acura tsx... which is the european version of the honda accord.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Hey Big AL,

The Octave versus the Octane is very funny. For the originator look at message #175 and #193 in the Civic Coupe thread. The person who first called Octane as Octave was none other than "bigal3". When you put (sic) after a word it is because it is known to be spelled incorrectly. As well as you reference to "reved" meaning increasing the engine RPM, when you stated "revived".

Maybe you ought to try criticizing other posters less and concentrate on posting opinions and facts about Civics and other cars.

Loosen Up,

MidCow
    If you have problem understanding...THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM TRYING TO POINT OUT, midcow. THIS IS SATIRE.....

This is the CIVIC SEDAN FORUM. Instead of sticking to this forum & exchanging ideas about the SEDAN, I don't know why you drag the COUPE forum here & nit picking on some minor spelling mistakes which doesn't belong here >(i.e. #193 in the COUPE THREAD).

Please cut out the personal attack & stick to the subject.
    "It is a waste of time to say anything" ---- Why, I do believe you. I am not going to waste my precious time at BMW's site... I was just making a point that I haven't seen Beemers with their lights on.... Just as I don't see FORD cars with their lights on...

But I can promise you, that within 2-3-4 years EVERY single new model will have DRL, and Auto-Shut-Off. Some of those car manufactureres are slower than the others, but eventualy, they will all adopt this basic safety feature.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Hey, just a minute now. Go to the top of this page and read what it says this forum is about. It says:

What is this discussion about? Honda Civic, Coupe, Sedan, Auto News, Opinion, Car Reviews

I definately see the word "coupe" in there as well as other related topics.

Chill out.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    stick to the cars and stop going after each other. It's pointless.
    I don't know where you see :
    What is this discussion about? Honda Civic, Coupe, Sedan, Auto News, Opinion, Car Reviews ?

On the top of this page, I can ONLY see in BIG RED LETTERS :
    Honda Civic Sedan 2006+
    and,
    You are here: Forums Sedans Honda Civic Sedan 2006+
    P.S. The "What is this discussion about? Honda Civic, Coupe, Sedan. Auto News. Opinion, Car Reviews" is a general "standard form" which blanket covers all links under the general category : "MAKE INDEX", "HONDA" + "CIVIC".

The topic of this forum is clearly written in BIG RED LETTERS :
    Honda Civic Sedan 2006+
    and,
    You are here: Forums - Sedans - Honda Civic Sedan 2006+
    Please notice that : The "#193 in the COUPE THREAD" (dragged over by MIDCOW) belongs to a totally separate forum hosted by CLAIRES in the "COUPES & Convertible" Message Board.

I don't think it is appropiate to nit pick minor spelling from other forums & drag them to this SEDAN forum (which is hosted by PAT in the SEDANS Message Board).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Did anyone "hear" me when I said we needed to stop picking at each other and stick to the cars????

One of these squabbles I can easily resolve - the reason Coupes is one of the categories for this discussion is because when it was in Future Vehicles it WAS about Coupes and Sedans. As some will remember, we split off the Coupes discussion when it left FV. It never occurred to me to remove the Coupes category at that time, but it has been removed now.

That said, there is NO reason to be quoting "mistakes" other members make no matter where they are made. Let's talk about the CARS and not each other.

Am I not being clear?

:confuse:
  • mvansb23mvansb23 Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar question. I am looking to buy the 2006 civic ex and want to know about the stereo. I would like any other thoughts on if it is as bad as eric29 thinks? There is also some option to upgrade to a bass enhancement package? I think it comes with better rear speakers and a better amplifier? Can somone confirm if this is correct? is that option just replacing the standard rear 6.5 inch speakers with better ones in the same location? Also...the coupe has an option for a 350 watt stereo with 7 speakers (the 7th being a sub). anyone know if this will be an option in 2007? thanks for any answers...
    Yes I agree....100%.

Thank you.
    Finally the ref at this WWF honda match has thrown down the gauntlet!
    Incidentally today i was cruisin in my Civic and noted... It has automatic PROGRAMMABLE locks.. Acura tsx doesn't... Also the steering wheel controls as well as the stereo controls light up at night...Acura tsx doesnt! What??? who at Honda corperate is loosing their mind??? "IF" only they put a headlight that turns off automatically...sigh

Thoroughly enjoying my new Civic Sedan EX/m ;)
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Could someone please take interior pics of their Civic with the back seats completely folded, and post it for everyone to see? If you don't mind, take one pic from the front of the seats, and one from the trunk. I can't find these pics anywhere, not even Honda sites.

Thank you!
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    bcmalibu99ls:

Wouldn't it be preferable to take a ride to your friendly local Honda dealer and SIT in the vehicle. You could play with the seatback functions to your heart's content. You will surely get a clearer appreciation than a web image can offer.
    I don't think factory speakers are very good in any car.

I looked on another forum - the Civic has 6.5" speakers all around. Then I looked in my trunk - I can swap in any 6.5" speaker by unscrewing 2 or 3 clips. So I don't think it's a big deal. The upgrade will be easy and cheap.

If you want to upgrade the system, I suggest you go to a custom shop. They have better stereo components, for less, and have more experience with audio than most of the people who work for dealers.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    I agree with Eric, upgrading the speakers is probably the cheapest and most bang for the buck to improve sound quality. Over the years the quality of the Honda radios, as well as most other car manufacturers, has steadily improved. The 350 watt stereo availabe in the Coupe is not avaiable in the sedan. One key thing to remember, if you upgrade the steror head unittyour steering wheel controls may not work. Also if you have the NAV unit the integration is very tight. If you paln to upgrade the steeo in the future I would not get the NAV.

But be aware sometimes stereo wattage is looked at incorrectly. Rememeber it is logrithmic and mesured in decibles. Whe you increase the power by a factor of 10 you only double the sound output.

The ratio between any two amounts of electrical power is usually expressed in units on a logarithmic scale. The decibel is a logarithmic unit for expressing a power ratio.

Where : PR = power ratio in dB

PR(dB) = 10 log P1 = power in (small)

P2 = power out (large)

======
    dBm

The decibel does not represent actual power, but only a measure of power ratios. It is desirable to have a logarithmic expression that represents actual power. The dBm is such an expression and it represents power levels above and below one milli watt.

The dBm indicates an arbitrary power level with a base of one milli watt and is found by taking 10 times the log of the ratio of actual power to the reference power of one mill watt.

P(dBm) = 10 log

where : P(dBm) = power in dBm

P = actual power

1mw = reference power

===========

Cheers,

MidCow
  • mvansb23mvansb23 Member Posts: 2
    yeah..i would prolly keep the head unit..add a 5 channel amp and replace all the speakers..and add a small sub...that can all be done for under 1000 bucks. i am sure the head unit is of high enough quality to play CDs just fine...plus anytime you change you get much worse radio reception. i guess the 350 "bass speaker system" option is probably money better spent on aftermarket speakers...

thanks for the replies...
    Going to a dealer means being subjected to their sales tactics, which I can't stand. Hopefully, rental agencies will start getting new Civics soon, and I'll simply rent one
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    bcmalibu99ls:

All you have to say is "Thank you, I'm just looking." if you just want to see the way that the seats look and work.

You'll probably not find Hondas for rent anywhere. They don't do fleet sales the way that most other brands do.
  • pazbienpazbien Member Posts: 11
    I going to purchase a Civic Sedan in two months. I just want to know if it is possible for the dealer to add the integrated turn signal mirrors to my Ex. Even if I have to pay 300$ is it possible for the dealer to do this? I know that if a Hybrid's rearview mirror gets clipped of the dealer will order a new one. This means that all the dealer has to do is order the turn signal mirors for a Hybrid and instal them on my Ex. The design is the same. So is it possible? Does anyone have a list of the parts and part numbers for the 06 Civic?
    Honda may not do fleet sales, but rental agencies may buy Hondas on their own. I saw a rental car sticker on a Toyota 4Runner about a year ago. So, it's not impossible.

Man, it's much easier for someone to post a pic of their folded seats than for me to go to a dealership :)

Come think of it, Honda should put a pic like that on its website - they are losing a sale here :shades:
    Turn Signal mirrors possible? probably, but it is not an official Honda accessory for your model car and therefore your dealer will probably just say no (just call to find out). This would be an aftermarket mod and you would have to do it yourself or get an aftermarket type shop to do it for you.

And as for the $300, I wouldn't be surprised if that is close to what they would charge for EACH mirror NOT including labor.

You should be able to get the part numbers from your dealership's parts department. The wiring will be the tricky part and will probably require running wires and tapping into the turn signal curcuit somewhere. If it just plugs right into the existing wiring harness and works, you would be very lucky and please let us know if it does.
    "You'll probably not find Hondas for rent anywhere. They don't do fleet sales the way that most other brands do. "

I thought I saw some '05 Civics recently at Hertz. I could be wrong, but it might be worth a call.
    "I don't think factory speakers are very good in any car.

I looked on another forum - the Civic has 6.5" speakers all around. Then I looked in my trunk - I can swap in any 6.5" speaker by unscrewing 2 or 3 clips. So I don't think it's a big deal. The upgrade will be easy and cheap."

Ok, so I would be interested in an easy upgrade if all it is is plugging in a couple of new speakers. First of all, I know nothing and want to know nothing about car stereos. I installed a system or two back in the 80's but I don't have an interest in the technical details any more. Could I make an improvement by walking into Walmart and grabbing a couple of speakers off the shelf and plugging them in? Would it cost more than $100? Anything in particular that I should look for? Or is that just as likely to be a step backward? I am definitely not interested in amps or having a stereo shop put somthing together. But a simple plug-and-play upgrade would be fine. I just need to know what to buy. Any advice?
    [BTW this would be in an 06 Sedan LX which has a 4 speaker system]
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes 4 6.5" pioneer or sony two way speakers from wal-mart should cost about $100 be very easy to install, and should improve the sound noticeably.
    "Yes 4 6.5" pioneer or sony two way speakers from wal-mart should cost about $100 be very easy to install, and should improve the sound noticeably."

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely be looking into that soon.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I have never seen a Civic for rent at a U.S. rental agency. Admittedly I have not checked every company but I know Enterprise doesn't. Further, as well as they are selling you probably never will....that hole is best filled by Fords Taurus, various GM and Daimler/Chrysler cars. It is called "fleet sales" and usually slow sellers make the list. I have, however, seen and rented various Toyotas ??
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I know Enterprise has had Civics. They may only have had them at certain locations and I have seen them on their resale lots also.
    They are not common like rental Corollas and Camrys, but rental Civics do exist.
    If you can't find one, maybe a Honda dealer that offers Civic rentals for their repair customers will allow you to rent one over a weekend when they are not needed for repair customers.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I question whether cheap speakers at WalMart will improve the sound at all - in fact it may be worse. I would go to a car audio shop and first listen to several different makes and models of speakers. You shouldn't have to spend a fortune, but if you are serious about getting better audio you owe it to yourself to at least check it out a little more thoroughly. After you settle on one or two favorites, you could then do your price shopping.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The wal-mart speakers are fine - look at the standard speakers and they don't even have tweeters.
    The Walmart speakes won't be better than the factory speakers.

Look at something like this. Make sure it will fit first:

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14&family_id=23&product_id- =67

$200 from shops -about $100 on ebay.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Yes they will still sound better than factory speakers as long as you don't buy the cheapest possible speakers in the store from a brand you never heard of.
    Factory speakers are often of quality lower than you can find for sale even at Wal-Mart.
    Wal-Mart won't have much selection though. There are better places to buy where you may have 5 or 10 different choices that will fit.
    Really expensive speakers will need an added amp to get the added sound quality out of them too making them that much more expensive.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    A store like Best Buys has a car stereo section and installation dept. I would go there and talk to them about what they recommend and what they charge, then do price comparisons at Walmart, etc.
  • beetlebatbeetlebat Member Posts: 11
    I was really disappointed with the stereo when I got home with my Civic,too (not that I've been happy with any factory unit I've owned). I added a sub woofer to my EX Civic and it sounds incredible now! I used an Infinity 10" in a 12"x12" box made from the MDF shelving that Home Depot sells. Bought a $65 sub amp from Best Buy and put it all together. I spliced in to the speaker wires in the trunk, using the high level input for the amp and it works great. I now have my radio set with -6 on the bass setting and -3/-4 on the treble and it sounds much better than stock. With these settings the fctory speakers will last forever.
    Don't mess with replacing the factory speakers, just add some bass with a sub. You can buy a compete sub with amp for under $200 if you don't want to mess with it. Don't fill up the trunk with woofers, either, just one box about one foot square is all you need.
    It is amazing how a powered sub-woofer can improve the sound quality.

In my EX Civic Coupe, Honda has cleverly put a sub-woofer underneath the rear windshield dashboard without taking up trunk space. Hopefully, they will do the same to the EX sedan 1 day.
    Did you take out the rear speakers so the sound could come into the car from the trunk?

Did you pick up power from the harness or did you run a wire from the battery?
    Just a note, not starting another heated duscussion here, I checked with my Honda dealership, they would not do it, but sent me to a professional in the area, who would do the re-wiring for about $65 to $130, which is less than what I estimated originally here.

That way the lights would always stay on during driving, replacing the small DRL lights.

...And as I've been doing in the past 12 years, in any of my cars, never again have to touch the headlights switch, ever.
    Thanks for the update. People who deal with customizing cars can do just about anything. I could never understand people who like a car but want just one more feature and because that feature isn't available on the model or make they really want end up either stepping up to another expensive package that has a bunch of things they don't want, or buying another make that is more expensive.

Just a note, not starting another heated duscussion here, I checked with my Honda dealership, they would not do it, but sent me to a professional in the area, who would do the re-wiring for about $65 to $130, which is less than what I estimated originally here.
  • beetlebatbeetlebat Member Posts: 11
    Eric,
    I left the stock speakers where they were and ran a wire up to the 12volt accessory socket in the console. That way I can easily remove the whole setup if I need the trunk space.I have done the same thing ( acc socket) in another car for years. Since I am not pushing the sub amp hard at all, just adding some lows, the socket can take the amps. The socket is rated at 10 amps.
    I also tried some better 5.25" speakers in the rears but it didn't seem to help any. The rear speaker have a very small magnet, but sign fine with the addition of the subwoofer. Really improves the sound, makes it sound totally different. Also added XM through the provided direct input, sounds great too. True digital, I guess.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    and also is the only small car to yet achieve a "Good" score on the IIHS side impact test:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=300
  • kknowleskknowles Member Posts: 15
    I totally agree with all recommendations about adding a powered sub. It will do wonders for any stock stereo. I added a 12-inch Sony woofer and 300-watt MTX amp to my 06 Civic LX couple. Like the previous poster, the sub lets me turn down the bass to the stock speakers, which means I can drive them louder before the head unti's amp distorts.

It also way outperfoms the stock Civic sub that comes with the EX couple, at much less cost.

I had the same impression about the magnet on the stock rear deck speakers, but leter learned they are a high-end magnet that is better than traditional magnets.

What the sub won't do is address the lack of ear-level speaker placement in LX sedans, which have no dash tweeters. That is a shame, and it shows in the sound.
    Has anyone had any experience with the Bass System Kit that Honda sells?
  • navlovernavlover Member Posts: 27
    I've been wondering the same thing. I don't want to do anything "non-stock" when I get my Civic soon, but I wouldn't mind a little more sound. Hopefully someone has some experience with it. (?)
    I did find this and posted a question (they have no editing function so the question is misworded)

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=449520
This discussion has been closed.