Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• gp46gp46 Member Posts: 7
    My civic has been back several times for ongoing vibration noise and has been diagnosed as bad idler pulley. Seems to be really bad early mornings with low temps. Will go away after warm up. Just had the car down south for a week and did not hear at all. Dealer says replacement parts from Honda have same defect.
  • menardmenard Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Peeps

I recently had my 2006 Honda Civic's first oil-change at the dealer's facility. However, the "Oil Life" meter on my dash still shows up at 40%. Am I suppose to reset this manually? If yes, how? I can't find anything in the manual about this.

Thanks,

Menard
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    See page 184 in your manual for instructions on resetting the Engine Oil Life Display.
  • junk_car_ownerjunk_car_owner Member Posts: 47
    Your dealer should have reset it. You should remind them next time. They are probably still learning about this stuff too. You can reset it yourself, as previously mentioned.
  • brian_brian_ Member Posts: 3
    Hi all... I saved some mp3 files to an SanDisk SD card, used a SanDisk adaptor, and when I plugged into the radio, the radio would not recognize / play. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is anyone else having problems with this? Thanks... B
  • two06lxstwo06lxs Member Posts: 8
    Bought my first Honda just before Christmas, an '06 LX.
    Bought my second '06 LX two weeks ago. Identical colors,,,
    Never owned a Honda before, and always changed oil every 5,000 miles.
    The first LX has 5,300 miles with oil life of 40%.
    Do we actually wait until 10% on the speedo before doing anything?
    Also, if I only change oil every 5,000 miles and don't do all the other "recommended" service items, will that void my 6yr/100k honda-care warranty on my two LX's?
  • lmp776lmp776 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Brian. I'm using a Sandisk compact flash/Sandisk adapter and haven't had any problems. I read on another forum that a compact flash type card is preferred. Sorry I can't be of more help.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Doesn't the owners manual list a maximum oil change interval in mileage and time? Is it 7500 miles or 10K miles?
    Does the manual list any shorter interval for "severe" driving?
    Not doing the service items will only void the warranty on failure related to that service.
    For example if you didn't ever change the oil, that would not void the warranty on the steering or A/C.
  • dlim899dlim899 Member Posts: 20
    Yes "bamacar"! You are right the Fit will be produce in Japan for now until capacity increases. Verified that today with Honda America.
  • mrmusicmrmusic Member Posts: 15
    I wonder whats the earliest I can refill my oil with synthetic Royal Purple. Everyone I ask gives me a different answer??? My oil indicator is on 60% now.
  • seaweaseawea Member Posts: 11
    where on the car, do you see that your oil indicator is on 60% now?

thanks
    Has anyone found a sunshade that's big enough for our big Civic windshields? I haven't looked very hard yet, but I know a minivan sized one doesn't quite reach vertically.
    Owners Manual states that if the oil life indicator does not go down to 10% in one year's time, to change the oil every year... I could not find any indication of a mileage recommendation.

My wife says that the new cars have new technology and I should trust that... Seems strange that she should be right.
    Anyone yet ran cables from the trunk to the dash for any type of aftermarket audio equipment in their '06 Civic?

Also, has anyone actually located the radio antenna connection at the back glass?

I have a couple of hard drive based MP3 players I want to mount in the trunk of my two LX's and it would sure be handy to tap into that radio antenna at that back glass...
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    press your "trip" button it cycles through "Trip A", "Trip B", "Oil Life"
  • brian_brian_ Member Posts: 3
    Thx for your response. I don't know what is going on. I'm using Sandisk SD card and Sandisk adapter. My laptop at worked recoginzed it, but my car wont. Honda recommended bringing into a dealership, but that seems excessive. My adaptor is a 6-on-1 adaptor, but I dont know why that would matter. I'll keep on trying... : )
  • dave59dave59 Member Posts: 23
    I have drove my LX AT about 450 miles. 34 MPG on first tank. Probable about 50/50 city and highway. I do get the "lug bug" sound at 37-42 MPH if it is at 1500 rpm. I also get what I think is a valve tick when idling or at very low speeds. Kind of a diesel engine sound. I took it to the dealer and was told this is normal. Windy conditions really toss this car around. Road noise is pronounced. However, when you consider I just turned in my 2003 BMW 525 lease for this "economy" car, the adjustment has not been difficult.

Mrs. Dave
    thanks mrs. dave for your observations. You are not going to get the best fuel mileage until after the first several thousand miles.

That ticking diesal sounds is very normal for the car. I think we all have it especially those who listen for this stuff.

I traded my Audi A4 so I am with you in that we both are picking up on the differences in each car. Our previous cars were built to protect us from all those noises.

I have a feeling that the engine noise/vibration or resonance that we seem to be experiencing at around the 1500rpm mark is just something found in all these cars.

I will enquire about it at my dealership on my first oil change. Did you ask your dealer about that?
  • 85crx85crx Member Posts: 10
    Try a HeatShield;I just ordered one of these for my 06 Civic EX sedan. They custom make them for just about any car. I saw on another forum that it tends to sag down a little due to the huge windshield, but I plan on putting something in between the visors and the shield itself, maybe something like foam blocks to keep it nice and tight against the glass.
    http://canvasworks.com/main.html
    I've been also hearing that this stuff is really good for your dash. I picked some up at Lowes.
    http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant
  • istanbulkidistanbulkid Member Posts: 4
    I got my LX AT about a week ago and noticed the "lug bug" in a few days. My previous car was an Audi A6 which was extremely smooth and quiet, so the noises from the Civic are much more noticable, though no complaints. I don't expect $45k luxury when you pay $16k.

Regarding the lug bug, it seems to me that the revs on the engine are too low (1500 rpm) around 40mph range which puts too much load on the engine. I am used to hearing similar sounds on an MT car when you haven't shifted down when you were supposed to. So the solution from Honda could be as easy as updating the firmware on the AT and make it stay in 3rd gear a bit longer(and hence higher rpm) before it goes to 4th.
    istanbulkid

You are describing the situation very well. It does seem like the car is reving too low at around the speed you say. It almost feels like it is supposed to shift to the next gear already (thats upshifting right?). I think it feels like it is supposed to already go to a higher gear but it is staying too long at 1500. Of course, you can get around this by just pressing on the gas peddle a little bit more and then the cars rpm will go up and it will shift into a higher gear. Problem is, most of my city driving, the car is sitting at around 1500.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    link title

With reference to the link above go to the bottom of the screen and press the "Watch" bar. The rehearsal is also interesting.

The above is the best ad I have ever seen. All the sound effects of this British Civic Ad are done by a British choir.
  • dave59dave59 Member Posts: 23
    Yes I did ask the service rep. about the "lug". He went for a ride with me to hear the sound. The noise in mine is more pronounced on an incline. It was very faintly present when I took him on the ride. The roads were very flat around the dealership. The sound was there but you probably would not pick up on it unless you had heard it much louder before. He had not heard of anyone having this problem.

$16,000 vs. $45,000. This car isn't too shabby. I have one son heading off to college and one in private school. My wallet is thanking me. :)

Mrs. Dave
    Thanks for the tips about HeatShield and 303. I had also heard about 303, but didn't know I could find it at Lowes. HeatShield sounds pretty good, except maybe the price.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The BEST ad I have ever seen and ever expect to see was the Accord Rube Goldbergish ad of a couple years ago. It's called "Cog" and you should do a search for it if you haven't seen it.

Honda can get your attention, no doubt!

Edit: Oh heck, just in case you didn't see it, here's a link where you should start, because you really should read the background to it also: http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp.

The Civic ad is great, but this one beats all IMO, especially knowing the background!
    Great ad indeed!

Unfortunately I was not able to access your link. But I managed to find another link to the very same "Cog" ad:

Honda Cog Ad

It's a shame these great Honda ads are only shown in the U.K. I think these ads would be quite effective here in North America.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Hey you lucky canadians :mad: , the civic isn't very appealing to me. Is the Acura Csx worth the money?
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    I wonder whats the earliest I can refill my oil with synthetic Royal Purple. Everyone I ask gives me a different answer??? My oil indicator is on 60% now.

I just changed the oil in my new Civic this past weekend at 4221 miles. My worthless oil life meter said 50%.

Hondas break in oil is loaded with Moly. A lot of Moly. Moly at the microscopic level fills small scartchs, cracks and so on. Its good stuff. But a little goes a very long way. Most oils, dino or syn. have some level of Moly in them.

My Civic was starting to get the ticking valves and just basicly sounded bad. I have 5MT. So I dont have the lug bug,,, thank god.

Dealer even put in a recommended oil change sticker on the windsheild at 4k miles.

So at 4221 miles I dumped the engine oil and 5MT oil. I then screwed on a super-tech filter and filled the engine with super-tech 5w-30 and refilled the tranny with super-tech 10w-30. (super-tech is wal-marts in house cheap-o stuff)

I drove the car 40 to 45 miles then dumped that stuff and pulled the oil filter. I wanted to get out as much of the break in oil and contaminets as possible.

I then refilled the car with M1 5w-20 and used a M1 oil filter and refilled the tranny with Hondas tranny fluid for a 5MT.

The car runs so quite now you cant hear the engine run from inside the car. Valves are silent. It was a suprise to beable to now hear the accsery belts slight whine when you blip the throttle. Also of note I cant feel the vtec go into low load timings like I could before.

Im not the normal sort of person on the first oil change. I get picky about flushing engines at the first and only the first change. I also did this to our 05 Accord EX Sedan I4, 5MT. Well i flushed it twice cause the oil was so darn nasty. Its now got 23k miles on it and dosent use oil between oil changes. It has a K series engine in it. They are known to use just a tad of oil sometimes. But not ours.

Both cars are on a 7500 mile change interval now with tranny fluid changes every third oil change. ( with filter on the Accords tranny )

The Moly Goo has to go here!!
    If you dont like a Civic than why would you even bother showing interest in a ostentatious Civic?

Personally I cant understand why anyone would buy a CSX. I guess you Americans are more sensible than us Canadians.

In Canada I sould prefer to buy a hybrid Civic that sells at cheaper price than a Acura CSX.
  • jozrayjozray Member Posts: 2
    Where is the fuel filter and when must it be replaced ?
    Sorry about that, I screwed it up by getting a period stuck at the end of it. Glad you found it in another place! Now, which one is better? ;)
    If I was a judge in the Cannes Advertisement TV Festival then I would give the Palme D'Or prize to the new Civic choir Ad .

Although I must say both ads are fantastic.
    I guess the thing that makes me say the Accord one blows everything away is what it took to make it. After 600 or so times of trying to get it right, it finally worked all the way through. I'd have kicked it all out the window around attempt number 46. ;)
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    I'm skeptical about the "one take" thing. It sounds like an urban legend to me. What would be the point?
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    i talked to the Honda mechanic. He said to change the first oil change at no earlier than 5000 miles. He also said not to use straight synthetic. He recommended a syn blend. But then again, he also recommended Pennzoil. SO i'm not sure what to use.

Since when do you have to change the oil in a manual transmission? I have had more than a few manual trans cars, and never changed transmission fluid. Do we have to do this on a civic? (never had a manual trans honda)
    before?)

What is royal purple? i've seen it, but i always thought it was just some gimmicky oil like slick50.

I wish my stinkin service manual would arrive - i ordered back in December when i bought the car.
    See this: http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp. Apparently it was two takes of the two minute commercial split at the one minute mark. But read that link (it works this time ;)).
  • modoxmodox Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2006 Civic AT EX w/Navi, and have experience the 1500rmp vibration since about a month after I bought it. I've brought it to the dealer twice for this and have had the same experience many have - "There is no problem!"

I also have the vibration problem when idling in drive. Sometimes this is very loud!

A NEW problem: For those with Navi - when displaying the audio screen, do the different backgrounds do anything? All I get is some lighter blue bars that look like they should be lighting up like an equilizer, but the don't! The manual seems to suggest they should, but the dealer says no. I would appreciate hearing anyone else's experience with this feature, small as it is.

Like others, I say that these problems need to be addressed. I've owned civics since 1985 and have never had the quality issues like I have with this car.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    My Navi does the same thing. I don't think it's a problem. It just changes the different white lines in the background to make it a different design, etc.
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    I dont have vib or noise problems... My EX Sedan is a 5MT Navi.

The Navi should give you a soild audio screen, one with jumping bar graph looking junk and another with a outward center circle shatter look. Turn the volume up and see what it does. You can also change colors and so on. The jumping bars and fraged circles get old real fast. So mines on the plain setting.

As for quality. Its all over priced junk now. And we basicly only have our selfs to blame for it. We want it cheap,,, feature loaded and painless. And dont want to be major investors in the system. Or if you are a stock holder you want return.

Ive not been happy with panel fit and the small details on my two Hondas. Yep they have slipped about 10 notchs from some of there best work. Work that made them a leader. And there are problems with there auto trannys. But the trannys arent a sole Honda problem. The Asian's have had a problem with them from the start. Hard to beat a GM or Ford AT tranny. There so over built they can put up with Americans if serviced right.

I hate to hear of this lug bug problem. But it dosent suprise me one bit. Our Accord is a 5AT and it all but ruins the car. It dosent make noise and it does shift right. But it yanks the heart and sole right out of the car. Thank god I dont drive it much. A wonderful car ruined by a AT.

Ive posted this before. A buddy of mine bought a 06 Civic EX Coupe 5AT. His started the shudder noise thing. We did a full 12 qt. flush to Mobil 1 ATF and his problem went away. He stoped in last weekend and confirmed.... No more problem. It didnt ruin his warrenty and his car is fixed. Its a gamble but hey it worked for him. I still think it will come back on him. In my minds eye its a harmonic/motor mount problem.
  • jjchristjjchrist Member Posts: 1
    Is 06 is fit to move around with my 2 yeard old kid in car seat? I have considered accord, but do not like the current style.

Please share your experience in this regard.

Thanks
    Junk_car_owner,

You are almost right, except the car has actually shifted up to 4th already and that's why the revs stay around 1500. Once you hit the gas a bit, like you suggest, then it shifts down to 3rd, the revs go up, and the problem goes away. I do a lot of back roads driving back and forth to work and put it on cruise, so problem is quite often.

I think the best thing we can do is everybody to take the car back to service under warranty and complain about the issue. Eventually I would expect Honda to come with a solution. This is the first year of this model car and there is no way Honda will continue to sell it without fixing the issue.
  • jonesholjoneshol Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE AN 06 CIVIC SI W/ NAVI. THE BACKGROUND ON MY NAVI HAS THREE FEATURES. SOLID, SOUND WAVES, AND THE EQ. NOT SURE IF YOU'VE RESOLVED THE ISSUE WITH HONDA YET BUT MY EQ WORKS.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    jjchrist - i have a 10, 8, 5 and a 2 year old, and an 06 lx civic. I feel just as safe in this car, if not safer, than i do with them in my 99 odyssey. 8 air bags, including full length curtain airbags (which in addition to impact protection, offer protection from flying glass), side airbags, reinforced chassis, and sensors in the seats to determine the size of the person occupying that seat, LATCH child seat system and child seat tether anchors (while not new, my first car with this, i really like it) in addition to anti-lock braking. (The chitty-chitty bang-bang inflatable pontoons and wings weren't offered as an option yet).
    Someone (i can't remember if it was iihs or nhtsa or who) listed this car as one of the ten safest new cars on the road.
    Now, if i could just fit all my kids in to the car...
  • mastaflo22mastaflo22 Member Posts: 1
    i thought i was the only one having this kind of problem...wheel starts shaking, pedals starts vivbrating. i dont know why! and theres a weird rattling sound comming out of my front passenger side panel. ( not really sure where its comming from but its on the passenger side) how can we let the people from honda know this kind of problem? should they do a recall?
    Both of my 06 Civic LX's offer a heated cup holder when the heater is blowing out the bottom vents.

It seems that somehow the hot air is being blown through the entire middle console.

anyone else having this experience?

great for coffee, but not for a cold drink, it warms it up FAST!

only solution i have found is to blow only from defroster vents or panel vents, but NOT any of the bottom vents.
    Your problem with the shaiking 'wheel' and I am assuming it is the steering wheel and pedal might be that the cars tires are out of balance.

Rattles: Yes, this new 2006 Civic LX is a rattling car. I also have a rattling on the passenger side. I found out where one of the rattles comes from . I started tapping with one finger all along the glove box, especially near the bottom middle area of the glove box. Just tapping lightling I can reproduce the rattling/buzzing sound that I hear sometimes while i am driving. I will report it to the dealership at my first oil change.

There is also a ticking type of noise coming from the passenger door. I can hear it while driving with the window rolled up. If i roll the window down , even just a tiny tiny bit by quickly tapping on the window button without actually opening the window at all, the sound goes away. Almost sounds like the clicking/tick sound is from the window where it fits into the door frame around the top and side edges.

The best thing all that we can do is to report these issues, especially the 1500rpm noise/vibration/lug bug to our dealerships. I am sure that these reports will be increasing in number by the first oil changes. That is when I plan to report mine since my problem is not getting worse.

If your nose/vibration is getting worse, you should go to your dealer NOW and let us all know what has happened.

There was a good post earlier from someone who seems to be in the Honda business who told us how HOnda would respond to the noise we hear at around 1500rpm and what its cause is and what Honda would do about it. I will find it and repost it. next.
    Here is a response from Midcow that I copied and pasted who answered about the problem some of us have noticed with our Civic's: sounds right to me.

QUOTE:
    It depends!

It is apparently a quirk of the new 2006 Civic design with AT transmissions.

Honda will fix it if :

(1) It is a safety issue.
    (2) It is a mechanical/engineering problem that will cause long term relibility and increase Honda warranty transmission claims.

Honda might fix it if:

(3) Car buying falls off significantly on the current 2006 Civic. (not likely)

(4) Fix for 2007 Civic year if the cost isn't too high. But not fix for existing 2006 models. Possbily fix for later built 2006 models.

Honda probably won't fix if:

(5) It is expensive to retrofit the fix for 2006 and it turns out the design flaw does not affect safety or warranty claims.

Sorry to say, even though new car models go through extensive Alpha and Beta testing, (5) is your most likely answer if you already have a 2006 Civic. If you are planning onm buying a 2007 then (4) is your most likely answer.

Top down crus'n,

MidCow

P.S.- Just remember, if you had followed my advice and gotten a MT you would be experiencing the "LUg BUg" problem or LUBU for short.
    Someone had this problem a while back and described the fix. Even had pics. It's because of a vent pipe elbow coming loose in the console. Apparently it was not too tough to fix, but this guy was obviously pretty clever (or brave). Maybe he'll check in, and I'll look for the link. It could have been in a different forum. If I had the problem I'd tell the dealer.

Just found the post. Check #3461 in this thread.
    mastaflo22,

The shaking in the wheel and pedals does not sound right. The problem we are talking about in this tread is specifically related to a rattle that comes from the engine (or its mount) at around 1500 rpm rev and 40mph speed.

Yours look like mis-aligned or out of balance wheels. I would get that checked pretty soon as it would wear out your tires, joints, shocks, etc.

Since the car is still under warranty, best thing is to take it to the dealer and get the warranty claim process started.
    Your wife is right. Just follow the manual.

Basically doing maintenance based on miles was a very crude way, as the actual degredation on engine and the car itself is greatly different when you drive on the highway versus in the city.

The new manual states that the oil life indicator checks both engine revs (city driving) and mileage and calculates a more realistic figure for wear on the engine. BAsed on this info, I would not change the oil based on miles, but based on the oil life indicator. Also, Jaxs1 is right that if you don't get to 10% within a year, then change the oil.

Engine technology has improved greatly in the last 10 years. In new BMWs, you change oil every 15,000 miles...

If you follow the manual, and hence the oil life indicator, then you guarantee that the Honda factory warranty will be in effect if something goes wrong. That is the least expensive and yet the right thing to do, in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.