Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• 2006civiclx2006civiclx Member Posts: 13
    Greetings,

Your post is very informative, thank you.

I would like to ask about the 2006 Civic center console
    removal and issues.

I would like to install the AUX jack for my LX. The
    installation instruction called for the removal of the
    center console, where the transmission control and the
    parking brake handle located. There is a total of 5 clips
    to be removed. Following is my questions:

(1) Will I need a special tool for the clips removal
    or just gently yank the console platic housing out?.

(2) In the installation instruction, the clips look likes
    that they are part of the plastic console housing. If
    they are then how can one of your clip was falling off
    deep inside the housing assembly bellow?.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Best Regards,

2006civiclx
  • emloemlo Member Posts: 7
    so I understand, the whole car vibrates when at about 1500 RPMs? I've had the radio on and I haven't been able to hear or notice really anything.

I truly hope the problem gets fixed, given the company has seemingly hit the jackpot w/ these cars.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Yeah, the cap is well tightened....

The error message has disappeared in the meantime....
  • sheldo1sheldo1 Member Posts: 64
    Emlo,

No, it is not that the whole car vibrates. It is really a resonating sound like something rattling. I can hear it even with the radio on so I am thinking you don't have it. Consider yourself lucky!
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I believe that after the error message is displayed it takes several miles to come off. Meaning that if the cap is loose and the message is displayed it may not disappear immediately after you tighten the cap.

I doubt you have anything to worry about :)
  • doan4udoan4u Member Posts: 105
    check this website. It give you inside to removal/installation.
    http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5351

Also check: collegehillshonda.com
    look for Auxiliary Jack pdf guide.

Tell me how you remove it later ;) :P
    Dear doan4u,

Thank you for your reply. I will perform the installation
    once I get the parts and will let you know about my
    "Do It Yourself :) " progress.

Regards,

2006civiclx
  • kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    Guys,

Taking my car in this saturday morning to have the AC checked. It very well could be fine but I feel it takes a while to cool the car after venting hot air from the interior. Will see what they, most likely blow me off and say nothing is wrong.

Also, on the interior, passenger side, where the seat belt comes out the side of the car inbetween the two doors, there is a seam where two plastic panels meet about half way up from the floor. Mine pops out every few days and if I push it back in, just pops back out again, about 1/4" and looks real ugly. Will show them this to.

Other than that, approaching 2000 miles, everything else seems to be okay. I don't think I have the lug bug as I would have complained already.

Car feels to have loosened and settled in a bit which is a good thing.

Just an update :)
  • emloemlo Member Posts: 7
    Maybe I don't have that problem--I haven't noticed any rattling or anything, w/ or w/o radio on.

I hope Honda can fix this issue for you!
  • slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    The intake is AEM Cold Air Intake. It was a pretty involved installation. You have to take off the left front wheel and peel back the inner fender liner, and even then your hands need to get in a couple spaces they just don't want to fit into. It took a while but it was worth it. I definitely have more torque off the line. I kept accidentally chirping the tires from stoplights until I got used to it. It's mated with the stock exhaust so it's barely audible at idle, but it makes a nice throaty roar as you rev through the gears.

They claim it improves mpg. I'm getting the same 32mpg I was before, but I've been driving it harder so they may be right. I'm very happy with it.
    Haaa 2006civiclx

Remove the auto. console was a snap, very easy to romove. it.
    1. pull the brake foward
    2. move the driver stick to "D". Make sure your foot on brake. ( I kinder remove the console, then turn the engine on, move the stick to "D", then move the console out, then move the the stick to "P", cut the engine) Whatever work for you.

3. Pop the plastic console by using your fingernails under the edge and lift straight up. Start from the back and move toward the dashboard.

Note: I don't use the flat screwdriver because it create dents. ;)
  • firstcivic06exfirstcivic06ex Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

Looks like I have my first problem with my 4 1/2 month old Civic EX AT. Took it to a quick oil change joint and they encouraged me to have an "oil leak" checked out by the dealer. Dealer says it's not oil but power steering fluid, leaking from a defective plastic elbow. They said they recently worked on another Civic with the same problem and that there's a TSB about it. Part ordered. The leak is minor enough to let me keep driving til it arrives. Thought I'd pass this along in case others are interested.

Second issue... I noticed my car's VIN# is within the group that "could" have defective engine block sealing bolts. Wonder if I should ask the dealer to have a look at them, or would that be a bad idea unless an actual oil leak begins?
    Thanks again doan4u,

I will use your instruction. The parts order are in the mail, I should receive them before Friday June 23, 2006.

Hope I can do the installation next weekend and let you
    know. Stay tune!

Best Regards,

2006civiclx
    Can you advise how to find out if a vin is within the range you mentioned about the defective engine block sealing bolts?

I would like to know if my car is within that range as well?

Thanks for passing the info along about the steering fluid leak!
    Kero1,

I copied and pasted this from a posting I saw a few days ago at another web site... I don't recall the site and can't testify to the veracity of the info. Hoping others will have seen this info as well to verify. Here's the pasted text I saved...

Engine Oil Leaks
    SYMPTOM
    The engine leaks oil.
    PROBABLE CAUSE
    Some engine block sealing bolts may have been
    mismanufactured, causing the engine oil to leak when
    the engine is running.
    VEHICLES AFFECTED
    4-Door:
    From VIN1HGFA1...6L000001 thru
    1HGFA1...6L058027
    From VIN2HGFA1...6H500001 thru
    2HGFA1...6H505400
    From VINJHMFA1...6S000001 thru
    JHMFA1...6S005042
    2-Door:
    From VIN2HGFG1...6H500001 thru
    2HGFG1...6H523216
    The oil leaks can be in up to four places:
    • The 24-mm sealing bolt on the timing chain end of
    the engine.
    • The 24-mm sealing bolt on the transmission end of
    the engine.
    • The 20-mm sealing bolt behind the alternator.
    • The 20-mm sealing bolt behind the power steering
    pump.
    take your car to your nearest dealer for repairs
  • charmedboi82charmedboi82 Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking to buy a 2007 Civic in Fall 2006. I'd like the car delivered (available for pick-up) early to mid-December. Does anyone have any experience ordering a Civic? I've asked at two dealerships and got what I consider to be wildly different answers. When should I order it?

I'm planning on ordering an EX Sedan with navigation. Thanks!
  • mrmusicmrmusic Member Posts: 15
    ASK TO SEE THEIR "INCOMING" LIST AND ORDER FROM THAT AND YOU'LL KNOW ALMOST EXACTLY WHEN. IF THEY WONT SHOW YOU THIS LIST DONT BUY FROM THEM. FRANK KENT IN FORT WORTH DOES THIS AND I GOT MY CAR EXACTLY WHEN I EXPECTED IT. THE SALESGUY WAS MARK KNITTLE IN THEIR USED CAR DEPARTMENT BUT HE CAN DELIVER NEW AS WELL. I WANTED EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO AND I WANTED IT IN SILVER OR WHITE.

ANOTHER DEALER WAS SUPER NASTY AND RUDE SO I WALKED OUT. DONT PUT UP WITH ANYTHING LIKE WHAT YOU GET AT FRANK KENT.

I REMEMBER MY DAD TAKING DELIVER OF A NEW FORD FROM THIS DEALERSHIP IN 1939. STILL OWNED BY THE KENT FAMILY.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Please stop shouting...it's very difficult to read. Always use lower case when typing a messege. Easier on the eyes bud.

The Sandman :D
  • mrmusicmrmusic Member Posts: 15
    ill type ase i please. this "shouting" silliness is like 7 year old girls telling each other not to step on cracks in the sidewalk. try to act your age. silly silly silly.

the radio copy i do is in all caps for easier reading....in 50 years ive never had a professional broadcaster feel it was shouting. but then we dont have that many 7 year olds in the profession.

im well over 70 and it hurts to type in 2 cases.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You cannot really order one. They are going to build the same cars regardless of whether you buy one or not. You can put down a deposit if you want for the dealer to hold one or swap with another dealer.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just a word of explanation - all caps in a post on a message board makes the post very difficult to read. Many people will just skip it, so you give yourself much less of a chance for your message to get to the people you want to read it.

It's just advice, and yes, you can certainly type your messages any way you'd like. People are sensitive enough to this that you'll probably hear that request some more, though. Messages in all lower case are easier to read than all upper, so that might be something you'd like to continue.

Drop me an email if you want to discuss this further.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel new problems and potential problems are showing up every week with these? I did not know about the potential sealing bolt problem until reading these posts. It is my opinion, and probably what I will do, that one should just have the car inspected at the bolt locations where leaks could occur. No leak...no action. If new bolts are installed where no leak currently occurs you may end up with one anyhow. Is there some type of time frame within which these oil leaks are starting to show up? In other words, if you don't have one from new will one show up soon after...or never? I HATE to have mechanics or techs. or whatever they are currently called poking and prodding and disassembling and re-assembling things on any car I own let alone a new one. Yes, I understand this is sometimes necessary...doesn't make me like it any better.
    I guess I might as well schedule a whole day off when I return my Civic for its first oil change..there is that noisy right rear suspension, a TSB for a potential power steering leak...a TSB for these leaking sealing bolts and anything else I might not know about or might come up soon. I had hoped, with the purchase of this Civic, not to have to live in customer lounge areas of dealerships...getting fat on the free doughnuts...wrong I guess!!!
    My advice, You vehicle still under warranties. I would take it to them and have it resolved. I assume there are more than one dealer in your neighborhood. Your vehicle is under warranties any Honda dealership.

I taken my car in last week to get my passenger door reallign because it wasn't set right. Yep, I was scare getting service. They lend me another new Honda vehicle for FREE for that day. It came out very satisfied service. ;)
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    the dealer where i have my civic serviced provides free loaner cars. Find out if your dealer does so you do not have to spend the day there.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    You have missed the point..as far as I know my car does not not suffer from all these possible maladies with the exception of the r. rear suspension noise. That said, I had a Ford at one time in the not too distant past and as a result had to rent a room at the dealership I was there so much. My fondest hope was that a Honda...a new one at that would put all that behind me. But noooo!!! Pretty much "tongue-in-cheek" humor at the moment UNLESS I start to see all this happen on my car... The one thing that isn't funny is my dislike for returns for service that require some type of in depth disassembly or the opportunity to get something greasy...nope, I have no evidence my dealer is slovenly just a general dislike.
    To those who responded to my post about (A) Power Steering Fluid Leak and (B) The Engine Sealing Bolts issue...

The Power Steering leak obviously is a real leak, so I need to get that fixed. No biggie... they'll shuttle me to work and pick me up a little later when it's finished.

I'm inclined to agree with those of you who feel the engine block sealing bolt thing is better left untouched unless a leak should actually develop. It sounds to me like the bolts could be fine, in which case I would not want anything taken apart "just in case."

Last, as a former radio news guy, Mr. Broadcaster needs to learn that typing in ALL CAPS is helpful for the purpose of reading news copy out loud at arms length in a studio, but not necessarily easier to read on a Web page. They are two different things.
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My sweety pie :P
    Guys N Gals,

I was suppose to bring my car in this saturday but going in tomorrow and by chance I spotted a new problem and starting hearing another one

#1 Going in for A/C that does not seem as cold as it should. Compressor cycles on and off every 15 seconds on average and sometimes every 30 seconds on average

#2 Major noises come from right front of car when turning and or hitting bumps. Clunk noise that is getting louder

#3 See photo below. I noticed an oily residue building up on the right rear of what I think is the valve cover. See yellow arrows. I saw this when I got the car, wiped it off thinking it would not show back up, well it has. This problem I hope is not a major one.

#4 Alignment was fixed (have not hit any major bumps or potholes) and is off again, car pulling to the right like the day I got it.

Honestly even with the problems, I still love the car and the way it drives.

Any thoughts on the oil residue thing?
    Mmmm, Minor problems, Think your oil gasket is bad? That what happen when American auto assembly employees that got lay off and end up working for Honda. :P (joke) I shouldn't make fun on auto assembly, mechanic, union that got lay off at American Auto Plant. :cry: Yet, it possible Hond end-up with bad apple. :P Stil Honda still make good car, but not perfect anymore.
    Well I guess I will know tomorrow. I doubt the front end noise they will solve but the AC and oil issue, they better.

Will give an update once I know. If I get a call before lunch, odds are they did nothing, which is common, hehehe.

I still love my sweety :)
  • cybergypsycybergypsy Member Posts: 51
    People these are cars, they all have problems this is number 49 for me in he last 6 years. I love them and leave them.....minor stuff will happen......proud owner od a 06 EX Rallye red with Navi....and still loving it....">
    Yeeep, they are car. People just expect when it come to NEW car. There shouldn't be any problems to it ;) I assume when my car get older and older, problems will arise some how. :sick: But, we stil LOVE our car. We treat it like our own child. Some really don't care at all about there car. We wine, cry, and (beep) about it. Yet in the end. We still LOVE our car. :shades:
  • slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    Hi all,

I have been reading all of your messages and this is a great idea to have such a comprehensive forum.
    I am looking at a 2006 Honda Civic EX, AT, w/Nav and wanted to know what you all thought about when I should try and buy? I was going to wait until last August, after my birthday, or September when the 2007 come out because I thought the car might be cheaper then, although I'm not sure that's going to be the case which would mean that I could get it now for the same price. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

slaterac.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Down here in South Florida, my dealer in Hollywood Florida doesn't have a whole lot of Civics, as they seem to go out within a couple of days. And I doubt the price will go down by much even with the '07's due within 3 months or so. This car is selling extremely well, I don't think even Honda realized what a hot car it was going to be.
    Love my LX sedan...and from my crude mathematics, am getting about 32 mixed on the 1st tank. Very impressive.

The Sandman :)
    Sandman,

Thanks for the information. I'm really like the new civic but I'm 6'3" so I need to take it out for 24 hours and make sure that I can fit in it. I am also interested in the mazda3, although it has less front leg room and was wondering if any of you looked at it and what your impressions were.

Thanks again.

slaterac
    Hi slaterac, welcome! You'll want to look through the posts in this discussion also: Honda Civic vs. Mazda3. Enjoy!
    I moved some recent posts - let's meet up at this link to continue: Honda Civic vs. Mazda3.

See ya there!
  • narutonaruto Member Posts: 6
    Kero1,

I have the same problem with the Clunk noise that is coming from the right front wheel. My dealer is investigating, but the dont have a clue. If you know something first please let me know.

Thanks
    Folks, I've moved some more posts to the discussion at this link: Honda Civic vs. Mazda3.

Please go there to continue the Civic vs. Mazda3 comparo. That's the best place for those posts - this discussion is not the right one.
    Naruto,

I got the car back late yesterday.

For the A/C they said nothing was wrong but made sure the car had enough freeon or whatever the new refirgerant is called.

As for the clunk over bumps and turning for the right front of the car, they did not find anything but the guy told me it might have something to do with the struts or strut towers and for now I will have to live with it. No biggie though for now.

As for the oil residue on the right rear valve cover, they wiped it away and told me to see if it happens again which I know it will. They tightened up what they could and I will have to keep an eye on it.

Overall, It was most likely a waist to bring it in but better safe than sorry.

That's about it for now.
    Is the nav system on the honda civic worth the extra 1,500?

thanks.

slaterac.
  • harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    No it's not worth it.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    I have enjoyed the Nav and think it is worth it. You could probably get something comporable a lot cheaper as a stand-alone unit but I wanted the integrated look and functionality.
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    Yep my near perfect Civic is going in to the dealer in the am for a look at some concerns of mine.

Its developed a oil leak. Its not driping on the driveway. Its more like it wetting itself.

I have a very slight howling noise at 55 mph. Ive rotated the tires. I want it noted in case it turns out to be a bearing.

Its been reported to me there is some wind noise around the rear doors by back seat passengers. Ive never ridden back there. Cause nobody else has ever driven my car for more then a few miles. :)

The drivers auto up/down swith has to be poped to work. Still works just needs a pop/snap to make it do the auto function for the drivers window.

Trunk liner panels are pulling away from the rubber trim that conseals the edges.

There is what feels like a very slite miss in the engine. Its random. But when it does it I feel it. Maybe its just the vtec going to or coming off the high output cam profile. need that looked at if the car will do it for the techs.

Drivers left rear spring has sagged a bit.

Im not at all upset with any of these devlopments. None of them are life threatning to me, the public or the car. The car has near 14k miles on it and hasnt been a problem at all. Just want to get them looked into, logged and needed parts on order.

I knew the car was the first year of a new gen. I knew there would be a issue or two to deal with.

Im kinda looking forward to seeing how my dealers service dept. handels the issues. If there anything like the sales dept. It will be top notch!

i spoke to the service manager when makeing the apoitment. he was intrested in my issues and wanted to chat at lenght about my concerns. he wanted to get the car in as soon as possible to address it.

So off we go to the dealer in the am. ;)
    PSY,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Did you read my post about the oil residue on the rear right of the valve cover. Sounds like you have something like mine with the oil seaping.

Also with regards to your hum at 55. Some people have reported the black plastic guard under the hood, inbetween the 2 lights was not installed right and at highway speeds would howl or make noise. Something about it having to be under the grill or positioned correctly as some were installed improperly by the factor. Give yours a look to see if it's loose or out of whack. A hum could also be a tire that is damaged to due a poor alignment and trust me when I say, my alignment has to be fixed at less than 1000 miles, came from the factory out of spec.

Hope all gets sorted and please update us as I am very curious to see about the oil thing as they did not solve mine when I went in a few days ago. They wiped it up and said to keep an eye on it and believe me I will. I posted a pic early in this forum on where my oil is seaping from.
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    In honor of the software industry that provides me with my livelihood, I'd like to officially brand year one of *any* new vehicle as its "beta test", which of course makes anyone willing to purchase such a vehicle as "beta tester."

Good luck with your Civic! :)
    Dear doan4u,

Great picture of your sweety pie!

Thanks for sharing. What do you have, auto or manual trans?
    Mine is exactly the same color (Silver) with automatic.

About the center console, with your help and the pictures
    from the link, I had no problem in removal of my center
    console. Now I have the follwing question:

Do you know how to remove the center pocket?.

The pocket that I wish to remove is the one that has
    the power outlet on one side and the other side is empty.
    This is where you install your XM radio, its location is
    between the centerconsole and the heater/fan control unit.

Please let me know, thank you for your help as always.
  • nigel101nigel101 Member Posts: 2
    I recently brought my 2006 Civic Sedan LX MT to the dealership for the 10,000 mile service. I expessed concern over general vibration and a slight hum from the rear of the car. The service manager stated that Honda had issued a service bulletin for 100,000 civics manufactured at the Ohio plant. These cars left the factory without having received a rear wheel alignment. The dealer is going to replace the rear tires and align the car to, hopefully, correct the problem. I have not had any other significant problems and mileage has consistently ranged from 38 to 41 mpg.
    Just got back from the dealer.

The oil leak is from the power steering pump.
    The spring is sagging on the drivers side rear.
    The trunk liner sides are deforming.
    The drivers window swith is funky.

Parts are on order for the above issues and will be fixed July 3rd.

The howling noise is the rear tires. Looks like belts are sliping in the tires. This will be addressed with a Bridgestone dealer/rep.

The miss or what ever you call it isnt clear yet. We put almost 90 miles on the car trying to track it down. Lots of data logging. It will all be turned into Honda. Its very faint, but none the less there.

I was very happy with my dealers efforts and Im sure the solutions will work out fine.
    Mines not the aligment. Its faulty tires. You can see where the belts have sliped. I have to take the issue up with a Bridgestone rep. I dont have issue with that at all.
This discussion has been closed.