Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• rasmanrasman Member Posts: 10
    sadly in this country, the most popular cars, will be the most stolen, can the new civic regain its "prominince" as the most frequently stolen car? probably so. OUCH!
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    rasman,

You asked "can the new civic regain its "prominince" (sic) as the most frequently stolen car?" When was the Civic ever the most frequently stolen car? What year? Please provide a valid link to prove your contention.
  • bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
    With all those spectulation that the new 2006 Civic Coupe to be available in US this fall, I was told by the dealers in Canada (Vancouver) that they do not have a clue when it will actual be available in Canada.

Do anyone of you know the date or month when the first shipment is due to arrive in Vancouver Canada?
  • fuzzer34fuzzer34 Member Posts: 28
    It looks as if the new 2006 Civic sedan will have large wipers based on each corner of that LARGE windshield aka like a chrysler minivan.

see this shot:

http://gallery.8thcivic.com/gallery/2006-Honda-Civic-Spy-Shots/1300_G
  • fuzzer34fuzzer34 Member Posts: 28
    I have a current gen SI with the 160hp i-vtec that takes regular(87 octane). Wonder if the new SI with 200hp will take regular gas or will it require the premium like the currect gen RSX-S? Will this hurt SI sales being as premium gas is approaching $3.00/gal? It would be neat if Honda can do a 200hp engine on regular...Vroom... :)
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Honda has to worry about making some its cars run on regular for the US - there's no issue in Europe as most places have 95 (about 90-91 US octane equivalent) as the lowest octane grade. Shell just introduced 100 octane (probably about 95-96 US equivalent) as their premium. With modern engine management systems octane level is almost irrelevant. A typical engine will be fine running on Brazilian 75 octane ethanol laced gas or 100+ octane race fuel. The only trick is knowing at what octane level the car is at its most efficient (financially - more than likely at the recommended level) and it's at neither of the extremes listed above.

Honda has no problem making a 200HP engine run on regular - it just needs to be a 3.0L V6. :shades:
  • corey415corey415 Member Posts: 49
    The most frequently stolen car (per capita) is the Acura Integra. The Civic is not on the top ten list. By volume however, more civics will be stolen they say, a lower volume car.

I personally would not be concerned about theft if I bought a regular Civic. The previous generation Si (EM1?) was very popular with the thieves. They loved to steal the B16A and the rims.

Doesnt seem like the current Si (EP3) is stolen much, I think a thief would rather go for an RSX-S.

I have a feeling the new Si will be popular with the thieves. Tons of people on ephatch.com and clubrsx.com talk about how nice it would be to have an Si LSD or an Si k-series in their cars. Lots of demand = lots of stolen cars.
    This was discussed earlier in this thread but...

I am confident that the new Si will require premium gasoline. You cant expect high power out of a small displacement engine with regular 97 octane.

I dont see how a requirement of premium fuel will hurt Si sales. Even though gas prices are high, the delta between regular and premium is only 20 cents per gallon. For someone who drives frequently, the increased cost with using premium grade will be around 200-500 bucks. If you cant afford that, I dont think you should have bought the Si in the first place.

If you are fretting over gas moneys, I would think that the differential with regards to insurance would be the first deal breaker. I think that insurance costs between regular Civics and Si's will be substantial, but then again that is to be expected.
    Whoops, I meant "regular 87 octane".
  • user1235user1235 Member Posts: 84
    >> Whoops, I meant "regular 87 octane".

the edit button is your friend
    I would have edited if I could, but ....

"After posting, you may edit your post for 30 minutes."
    :lemon:
  • mcap56mcap56 Member Posts: 48
    I am curious about three things on the new civic. One, will there be telescopic steering and, if so, will it be only on the EX? Two, will they finally figure out that most people don't have a large curve in their upper lumbar spine? Three, will the wheel well interfere with the clutch again and will the gears engage in the middle of the stroke where it is supposed to be (instead of at the top like the current civic). Just curious.
  • user1235user1235 Member Posts: 84
    The Sedan looks very similar to current model. If you don't remember, here's a quote from Edmund's inside line (which you refered to yourself a few days ago) :

"While ample information exists on the upcoming Si, relatively little is known by contrast about the 2006 Honda Civic sedan. Our spy photos indicate a sedan that's slightly bigger yet only marginally different looking that its predecessor."

this is not necessarily bad at all, sine I think that current model sedan looks very good indeed, especially compared to corolla.
  • sik99sik99 Member Posts: 23
    the 99,00 civic si had "premium" fuel recommended for use. I put regular in with my 99 and had no problems. You'd think with the bump in performance that the premium recommendation will probably not disappear on the new ones.

-SiK99
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    there isn't that much you can do to a 4 door compact sedan to make it look radically different, at least if you want to maintain interior room. Besides, IMO the current Civic is fine looking. Not particualrly exciting, but not offensive either.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nash123nash123 Member Posts: 82
    Did you guys check out honda.co.uk? There is a whole new section about the 2006 Honda Civic SI. Don't know if the US version will be the same as the UK version.
  • jlim1jlim1 Member Posts: 50
    It's strange (and disappointing) why the coupe styling is always more appealing in the Civics (such as current and also the 2006). I like the way the American Honda designers create a sharp look on the current Coupe at the rear. The sedan is very conservative and bland. (I have the 01 sedan). The spy photos of the 2006 sedan show a close resemblance to the current body. Didn't really turn me on a whole lot.

I personally like the Euro version. Hot ! Too bad we will not see that in the US. I would have liked to trade in the 01 with this showstopper (if the 2006 really performs and drives like what it is marketed). It's a first Honda car (outside Acura) that is styled above and beyond the Japanese design norm (like Nissan/Infiniti) - in very good taste, I think.

Nice job on the Euro.
    The Euro and USDM civic will be totally different.
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    The coupes are designed in the US for the US market, this might be why you find the design more appealing. The Accord coupe is an American design as well...

From Honda's PR site regarding the Civic (last generation): "To ensure an increased level of differentiation, the Sedan was designed in Japan, while the Coupe was designed in the U.S. The Coupe has a sportier profile, while the Sedan continues to provide classic styling that is as visually appealing as it is versatile" This is true for the new Civic as well. Basically they just hand over the platform to the US design studio and let them go at it.

Actually sedans in this class are a big snooze. Mazda3 sedan, Civic sedan, Corolla, Sentra.... BORING.
  • bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
    Sedans are bought by family men (& women) who are more family oriented & plan to have children (or mother-in-law) sitting on the back of the car. On the other hand, coupes are bought by people who want to tell the world that they are not family oriented & have not plan to have children (or mother-in-law) to sit on the back of the car.

For the same year & model, although both coupe & sedan have very similar looks, the drivers of coupes always look more sexy appeal to the opposite sex than the same driver driving a sedan.

It is similar to a lady wearing a bikini compare to the same lady wearing a cover-all. Although it is the same lady, she always looks more styling in bikini than cover-all.
  • tr20tr20 Member Posts: 76
    anyone knows the specs and price on the 06 Civic sedan?
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    The price is still unknown, but we do know that the base engine will be a new engine family, it will be called R18, 1.8l with 140hp and 128lb/ft with a 6% increase in fuel economy over the current D17. Transmissions will most likely be 5 speed manual or 5 speed auto.

Nothing else is clear yet, but the Ride and Drive event where salespeople get to test it out and get info on it should be soon. The press embargo from Honda is lifted September 1 12:00am so it won't be until then that we will know all of the details for certain.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The price is still unknown, but we do know that the base engine will be a new engine family, it will be called R18, 1.8l with 140hp and 128lb/ft with a 6% increase in fuel economy over the current D17. Transmissions will most likely be 5 speed manual or 5 speed auto.

Nothing else is clear yet, but the Ride and Drive event where salespeople get to test it out and get info on it should be soon. The press embargo from Honda is lifted September 1 12:00am so it won't be until then that we will know all of the details for certain.

Are you sure they won't be using K-series engines in the new Civic. It would make more sence to make a K18 from the current K20, rather than develop a new R-series.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Spotted a caravan of three '06 Civic sedans yesterday on the NJ Turnpike (Odyssey bringing up the rear). Two EXs and one LX. Tape over the badging. Navy blue looked great! From the front, the styling is as poor as the new Avalon, but the side and rear looked good. The roundness reminded me somewhat of the current Saab 9-3, Mazda 3 series (I believe) and new BMW 3 serries - more European than the '05 Civics. Interior has the biggest improvement (spotted at the rest stop). Appears wider, the seats are definitely wider and the bottom cushions appear longer. Seat material in the EX was almost like a cordory [sp]. Good quality and fit. Dash is a big improvement with two tone in the plastic (i.e. rust and black). Overall - should be a nice car.
    bigger/longer/wider front seats are important to me (I hate a short cushion, and no I am not overly wide!). I just like thigh support.

Could you tell if it had the digital speedo like the Euro model? Actually, does it have the electric dash like the Accord and '05 ody? I've really gotten used to that on our Ody.

I also don't think the Avalon looks bad from the front. Not like a VW or Audi at least!

More European would be a good thing IMO.

Damn! That's what they make cell phone cameras for.

Good post though.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    ...the Euro Civic looks much more interesting from a visual point of view, proving to me that once again I want what I can't have :P . If there had been a chance of a Euro Civic Si 4 door coming to the States I would not have ordered my YAA mobile (yet another Audi) until after evaluating the Honda.

Byron
    The smaller K series (like a K18) will not be used in the Civic because it does not provide adequate fuel efficiency.
    I actually did snap a few digital shots from my Canon but haven't been home to download the photos. Upon closer examination of my images, I can add that the doors do have side moldings that are vertically wider at the back and get narrower as they reach the front wheel well - sort of like a wedge shape. The edge guard is also very low on the door so I can't imagine it eliminating any door dings from other cars. The alloys are 5 prong and very thick, similar to that of the alloys on a Camry SE or the previous generation BMW 3 series, but again 5 prong, not 6. The side bolsters on the front seats are very thick at the bottom and taper up to the top of the seat. The top center of the dash houses an area for the radio (between the air vents) and it appears that the display is huge (4x6 or 5x7) and possibly supports a GPS screen. Steering wheel houses about 6 or 8 buttons. Navy exterior resembled the navy on the Acura TL. That's about all I can tell y'all.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Could this be the real thing? (I know The Hollywood Extra has a tendency to be wrong, but who knows?)

http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/
    looks about right. Certainly a nicer looking grill without the camo!

I'm starting to really get interested in this car.

That's what I thought too.

But then, I had to wonder. How did The Hollywood Extra get the picture, and why is the car blue? All the disguised Civics we've seen have been red, white, or any color but blue...
    I think the notes indicated that it was an aisian version or something, so may not be exactly what we are getting. Does look nice though.\

I really do want to see the insides. If it has Volvo comfy seats, I could be done.

Probably beter to buy something like this to teach my son to drive on than a G35 6 speed.

• claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    I have seen that pic from TOV a few days ago. It is the asian sedan. I agree it looks nice, and I hope we get it. But somehow, I highly doubt we will get something that aggressive for the sedan.

The JDM versions of vehicles always seem more aggressive than the sedated, conservative USDM stuff.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    The Hollywood Extra pic came off Vtec.net (as Claudius stated)

It will probably end up being Canda's verison of the Acura EL.

If you take a look at the spy video, you'll see that the Front running red sedan had a different set of lights and a different (somewhat) front end from the rest of the Civics.

I think Canada will get that version of the car as the EL. We won't get it here.
    The car in the Hollywood Extra's photo is identical to the navy one I spotted on the NJ Turnpike, other than perhaps the interior. The one that I saw had a mustard color interior. This car is a little larger than VW's last generation Jetta.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    Has anyone seen the interior of a new 06 civic sedan ? Anyone who is mature and is not a wacko that thinks the 05 interior is great :confuse: ? Look at the interior of the 05 corolla and see a well thought out, very well appointed instrument cluster, and dash board/radio/air-condition knobs, as compared to the civic sedan garbage that was put together by a drug addict moron. I would like to purchase a civic hybrid or regular sedan and want something very nicely appointed like the corolla, but newer. Really would, but I saw the 05 civic, and did not think the design team had all their marbles together when they put that interior together.
    sr45,

With that wonderful attitude, ("wacko" - "garbage" - "drug addict moron" - "I... did not think the design team had all their marbles"), why would you even think about buying anything other than the Corolla?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    are not even worth responding to.

Our latest plan may involve sending the Accord back at the end of the lease and buying a 2007 Civic Si while keeping our 2003 Si. Only problem is what would we buy as our family trip car? Hmmm ... 2 Civics might leave just enough room in the car budget for a RL, TL, or a nice BMW.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    You kids can't tell me you like that garbage of an interior. Like I said, I want the civic to be much, better inside, but right now, the interior is sub standard everything, and looks cheap. Someone must have just tacked on moduals, and did not give a hoot as to clear, clean design as the corollas interior. The instrument panel is dark and dim, looking very sad and gothic like. Not bright and well laid out. Anyone who thinks that this interior is better than the corolla's needs to grow up, and get some glasses, because it just lousy. You pay a good amount for this car, and they better start thinking of a better looking interior, instead of things that are just molded onto it as an after thought...Give me a break. Toyota did much better with the interior, and we have better tell Honda to do the same or they will give us the same boring, unattractive/cheap look. I don't much care if you argue with this post. Those that like that kind of interior, are most likely very young. Once you grow up and see other designs, you will change what you look forward to in a interior. Don't let Honda get away with this stuff or they will continue doing it. Now take a good look at the corolla interior and see how they gave it some attention and better material than the civic.. Now I hope the 2006 has been improved 1000% or yes, I will go back to Toyota....At least they know what they are doing
    If you like the Corolla, then I respect you. Different people have different tastes.

I've always thought that the Civic's interior was very practical and simple- the CD player and A/C knobs have always been an easy reach for me in my 1999 Honda Civic Value Package. Sure, it may not have been upscale looking, but Honda's design worked, and so I liked it.

When car shopping, I'm much more concerned with the layout of the interior than how it looks. Just look at an Audi A8L. The interior may be beautiful, but to me it's a hopeless array of tiny buttons and MMI. The Civic's interior may not be beautiful, but it's simple, and simple works when you're driving in the middle of the night and need to adjust the air conditioning.

Toyota and Honda, in my opinion, have always had two different yet distinct personalities. Honda tended to make sportier, simpler cars (notice Hondas have no confusing array of option packages, option groups, or anything of that nature) that appeal to most people. Toyotas, on the other hand, are more conservative and buying one can be a frustrating experience. (not finding the right option package/color combination on the car you want)

From your previous posts, you seem like a Corolla fan. I won't stop you from buying a Toyota Corolla, but at least try not to trash Hondas and Honda owners. Different people have different tastes. That's why there are many cars for people to choose from. Not everybody in the world is exactly in love with the Toyota Corolla.

Sorry host if my post is very off topic. Just decided to repond. You can go ahead and delete my post if you'd like. :D
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Three things:

* The Corolla does offer fake wood trim, if you are into that kind of thing. It's not bad looking, but I find the Civic's interior good-looking in a minimalistic kind of way (and I'm not that young). However, it's five years old and due for updating--which it will be in just a few weeks.

* I'd take the smooth HVAC controls on the Civic to the plasticy knobs on the Corolla any day. Even the HVAC knobs on my Elantra are smoother and have a higher-quality feel than those on the Corolla. Toyota let their usual quality slip on that one.

* The other major place Toyota slipped on the Corolla's interior design is in the driver's seating position. It's uncomfortable for even average-height drivers, like me. I would like to know what Toyota's engineers were thinking when they designed that interior. "Most of these will be purchased by women and short men", perhaps. Anyway, the Civic's driving position isn't best in class but doesn't have the problem the Corolla does. That one thing makes the Corolla unlivable for me. I cringe whenever I get one as a rental. I hope Honda upholds its reputation for ergonomic design on the new Civic.
  • honda_dc5honda_dc5 Member Posts: 1
    Dude, I may be in my mid 20's but I can spot a flaming closet case Toyota fan boy or a sub baby boomer a mile away. You can go on all day about spending a great deal of money on a sub-20k car all you want but be honest with us if you are so obsessed of the interior layout on an entry level model Honda perhaps you should move up to.... I don't know a midsize maybe. If you think I care about what kind of artsy interior accents car companies try to brush off on me and my generation to make us think the car is cool or hip or whatever terms you 30 somethings make up to try to sound like you are half the age you actually are you got another thing coming pal. Honda builds cars that are safe, perform well, efficient, well equipted affordable, and most importantly functional. Go buy your Corolla and be old its ok we understand, better yet go buy the Scion thats an artsy car designed to appeal to my generation because no one my age would think twice about buying a Toyota (It is my parents car and Toyota has always been more concerned with holding on to old people so go back they feel bad already that they lost you)
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    and I like the Civic's interior. The Corolla has a nice looking interior but I hate the hard plastics used. Also, like Backy said, the Corolla is not a good fit for a lot of people. My husband can't even drive the Corolla much less be comfortable in it. Add to that the Corolla's rear beam suspension and the Civic looks that much better.
    The Hollywood Extra has posted a picture.
    http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/

Enjoy....
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    You can go on all day about spending a great deal of money on a sub-20k car all you want but be honest with us if you are so obsessed of the interior layout on an entry level model Honda perhaps you should move up to.... I don't know a midsize maybe.

So with Honda you have to spend big bucks to get a decent design? Actually I can't argue with you there because the Acuras look ok but Hondas are getting really bad. The front of the Civic is really bad and you'd think with all the complaints about the Accord's front that they would have enough sense to do something different. It was only because of the rear that the front wasn't bashed as much as it was. The Civic rear doesn't look too bad so all the complaints will be about the front.

The interior looks cheap to me. I hate the pod design they keep using. The Camry looked cheap too because of it but they finally fixed that to an extent with the refresh. And look at the steering wheel. Not to jump on the bandwagon but you have the Saturn front and Saturn steering wheel to go along with it. But Honda fanboys will think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread but with a GM badge they would think it's ugly.

Yes I bash Hondas a lot but I really wanted to like this car (and possibly buy one) but the front and the steering wheel is flat out terrible. Why should I spend 15k-20k on an ugly car? The Corolla is a work of art compared to this IMO.

Add to that the Corolla's rear beam suspension and the Civic looks that much better.

The hatch is suppose to have a beam suspension so it's possible the sedan and coupe will too.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    First take out the four-wheel double wishbones, then put a beam in the back?!? Welcome to 1987! (I think that was the last year the Civic had a beam rear axle.)

I was wondering if it was just me who was not too impressed by the looks of the new Civic, but I guess not. The coupe is pretty nice (continuing the trend of the last few generations of the Civic--coupe much nicer than sedan), but the sedan has that generic-jellybean-small-car shape that we've seen before and will see again (cf. Corolla, '06 Accent). Nothing offensive, just not exciting. I still think the Mazda3 is best in class there. I even prefer the Forenza to the new Civic. And the new interior is, well, let's say I scrunched my face and went "eeeeeeeeww!" when I saw the latest pics. Except for the glittery trim (puh-leeeze!) and nav system, it looks old. In fact, it reminds me of the dash on the Integra--which looks dated compared to many other, newer cars. There are several small-car dashes I think are nicer than this one--Mazda3, Forenza/Reno, Spectra, even Cobalt. Maybe it will look better in person.
    I think the design is OK, not particularly exciting, but the steering wheel looks strange.

And yes, I am one of those people who actually LIKES the Saturn ION. (Sure, it may be ugly, but it does the basics OK, and my friend's wife has one and she is happy with it, so I guess its a decent car, IMO)
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    And the new interior is, well, let's say I scrunched my face and went "eeeeeeeeww!" when I saw the latest pics.
    Ditto :P

I hope it looks better in person.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    A little ironic that they were posted on a Toyota site.

Considering that they will be showing up on dealer lots in less than 2 weeks Honda has done a good job hiding the Civic. That interior is a departure from conservative Honda.

And look, you can get NAV. :)
This discussion has been closed.