Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• cars with a manual tranny in the Atlanta area. We don't encounter stop and go traffic in our day to day driving so maybe it's not as big of a deal to us. For me, the ability to change my own gears on the open road makes up for the few minutes per day I might spend in traffic.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    We have a discussion about the future of manual transmissions - let's not put the entire focus of this discussion on that subject, please.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,934
    For other, there is HIS and HERS.

Ah, if only life were that simple! e.g., no kids of driving age in the equation who take HERS (leaving HIS to DW); no vehicles of different capacity--meaning sometimes I need to take HERS so she takes HIS; DW willing and able to make the effort to learn proper shifting technique (and no, she is not blonde), etc.. Must be the same world in which traffic never stops on the freeway. ;)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    The kids should take the stick car not the automatic. If they can't drive a stick, then tell them it is a condition of their having a car to use - they will learn quickly.

Any news on the new Civics? I am very curious about how much room there will be inside. I am hoping it is about the size of the '94-97 Accords.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,934
    Since you insist on beating a dead horse... thanks for the tips on how to raise my kids. My son of driving age did learn how to drive a stick. The car with an automatic has ABS, the stick car does not. When possible I'd rather my son take the car with ABS. As I said, life is not as simple as some think it is.

Just 2.5 days more until we get ALL the details on the new Civic...
  • tawneycattawneycat Posts: 114
    Did they claim to release lots of info on the 30th?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,596
    1 minute after midnight.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• filmnewsfilmnews Posts: 18
    CALLED HONDA SI WILL COST $19,500 to $24,500. I called Windy City Honda in Chicago, and they said that the SI will be out 6 weeks after the other civics. They said it should start at $19000 or $19500 and go up to 24,500 or 25000. It will go up that high becuase they come with a navigation system and leather. I want one with leather. So, it looks like October 15th until we can drive this machine.
  • Also Here in case one link is unavailable, the info seems exactly the same at both places. It seems that the 5 speed auto is available across the line except Hybrid of course. Estimated economy (Honda, not EPA) is 30/38 for manual and 30/40 for auto. Hybrid is 50/50.

The heaviest normal model is the EX which is 2740/2804 while the Hybrid is 2875.

The press embargo is supposed to end on September 1, so TOV will release the info on Sept 1, 12:00:01 am, ie just after midnight August 31. Like wise, other sites should be getting info up around then as well.
  • sr45sr45 Posts: 144
    Interesting to say the lease....You get slightly more miles per gallon on a Automatic than you do for a manual 30/38 Manual 30/40 Auto Thought it would be the other way around :confuse:
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ....has longer gearing in 5th - the engine is turning fewer rpm on the highway than with the manual.
  • gasmizrgasmizr Posts: 40
    This is good news. I much rather have the automatic especially now since it get better gas mileage then the manual. Talking a look back civics have never been speedsters and the power to weight ratio has not changed all that much. I have a 1996 and am going to give it to my kids to drive. I am looking at the new Civic LX as the next good commuter car. I just hope the handling is back to the way it was in the 1996-2000 models. That is why I did not replace with current model. Very good for navigating thru traffic. A little umph to jump the gaps always helps.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    I thought the new engine was supposed to get better mpg. Looks like the city mpg is actually worse for the manual, and only the automatic only gets better highway. i wish they would give manuals tall gears as well. The occasional downshift is not an issue - especially in areas with 75 mph speed limits (the revs are always up)

Backy - I should have put a smily after my comment.
  • so which kind of coupe should i buy a dx or ex ? :)
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    It will go up that high becuase they come with a navigation system and leather. I want one with leather.

Are you sure leather is available in the Si ??

Against my better judgement, I'm starting to get excited about this vehicle which means I'm less likely to wait, and that means MSRP to me. Dang.
  • jjx456jjx456 Posts: 41
    Are you comparing EPA to non-EPA figures?
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Looks like the extra 150lbs may have been a bigger difference than a slightly more efficient engine could overcome. I agree with you on the tall 5th gear. Make it a 6 speed if they refuse to make the 5th gear tall. They should have come out with a HX, HF, or FE model with taller gearing at least to give the consumer the choice of higher mileage.
  • inkyofokinkyofok Posts: 62
    That must be the most efficient slush box known to man. This concerns me as 2 mpg is a lot. The 5 speed must have performance gearing which I never understand. Why no true overdrive! I -4 can be done low and 5th or 6th a true overdrive. NO the 5 speed auto is worth the extra cost in this case but still no fun to drive. How sad when the 5 speed manual cannot match the auto.
  • wco81wco81 Posts: 579
    Well the 2005 EX Auto is 31/38 so if these specs. are final (and blessed by the EPA), then it seems like a wash.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Likely the salesperson was spewing garbage to scare speople into buying a 2005 in the hope of avoiding the higher prices.
    They do not "come with" navigation and leather. Navigation is optional and there was no sign of factory leather. Obviously, you will be able to get an Si without either navigation or leather.
  • Well, it seems both pages have been pulled, I get 404 on both links now. I guess Honda found out and told them to take the info down until the embargo ends.

I would say this is a good sign that the info was real. I remember suspension being double wishbone rear and MacPherson in the front.

It also seems weight is up about 136lbs when comparing EX auto sedans from 05 and 06. If the EPA gives the sedan a rating of 30/40mpg, that would be a good enough for a commuter car for me.
  • ya i think 30/40 is really good, just can't wait another 15 days!!! :cry: :cry:
  • tawneycattawneycat Posts: 114
    I am waivering on changing my order to a hybrid. 50 city 50 highway and if I take delivery after 1 Jan a tax credit of about 2600 bucks right in my pocket. In essence the federal govt is paying the hybrid premium for us. This makes the choice very difficult. Only the first owner gets the tax break and limited to first 60k units from each manufactur which Honda has no problem as hybrid is low volume as yet. I heard the hybrid will be auto only, CVT I do not know.

Details all coming out soon anyway.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,798
    You forgot using your left foot to clutch, unless you want to stall. But, of course, you saw your share of stop and go traffic, I forgot. Traffic just never actually comes to a stop in your world I guess. Just perpetually rolling.

It is people who make it into a stop and go because they just HAVE to ride each other's bumpers. It does not get them anywhere faster. A skilled driver, like a truck driver, is something you should learn from. Ever see semi's in traffic jams, they alwas seem to keep moving, by keeping distance. This is what I did, I did not ride the person infront of me bumper, but kept 2-3 car length apart. When they stop, I slowly roll up to them, and 90% of the time, they start moving again.

There are occasions when I have to press the clutch. On NO!!!. I worked my leg!!!! Oh the humanity, it is the end of the world!!!! Oh MY GOD, I may have to work my right arm too to shift it out of gear!!!! What is this world coming to??!!!! (sarcasm to those who may not see it)

No big deal to me, I can flex my left leg once in a while, to get the blood flowing again. And no, it will not kill me to expand some energy. Hydraulic clutches don't require any more effort than power brakes. I don't see people going crazy and paniking over expanding energy to use brakes. So what is the difference if you have to flex right leg or both legs??? Maybe this is why we are the most overweight nation, we are simply lazy???

Enough on the manual vs. auto, manuals are the best and autos are for the lazy and the crippled, you chose what you are.

The neew Civic will put more power to the wheels, and may Honda stick to the original promise of no autos in the Si.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...you've been asked to take this discussion elsewhere by our host. I couldn't agree more.

I've been driving since 1961; first 25 years, nothing but manuals, last 19 years mostly automatics. It's NOT a religious decision, NOT a basis for judging one's automotive "enthusiasm", and most assuredly NOT a reason for the morally superior tone being adopted here. Get something else to stand on...

And skip the driving lessons, observations on sociology, etc ad nauseum.

Finally, back on topic, let me observe that IF the new Civic can solve the car's long history of more road and engine noise than is really necessary or desirable, this could be a great car. The Mazda 3 that everyone else loves so much strikes me the same way - too rude and crude once you get up to freeway speeds on anything but the smoothest new asphalt - of which we have very little where we live. I see Honda is putting more sound-deadening stuff into the Accord as part of this year's facelift - I hope this bodes well for the new Civic - this is a car that needs a little more calm inside.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    I'm going to start deleting posts, and I don't even plan to be fair about it. Stick to the Civic, please. This is not a manual v automatic debate, or a place for commentary about other members' lifestyle choices.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,596
    Hopefully some of the weight gain goes into making the Civic quieter (if it was to noisy in th ecurrent generation).

Same thing happened with the 2005 Odyssey. Same basic size, but gained quite a bit of weight, mostly going into gadgets, safety equipment 9side bas/curtains do weigh something), and sound deadening. The '05 is noticeably more quiet and refined than the '04 (other than too much tire noise on some roads).

I expect the vicic to be the same, although ~150 lbs. isn't that much of a gain, since it is also physically bigger. Too bad though that with only 140HP I won't be able to pull that little hill at the bottom of my driveway (might have to get out and push)! :D

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Since hybrids are not discounted like an LX or EX, when you compare what the out the door price is, you will see the cost difference is much more than just the difference shown in the MSRP sticker.
    The tax credit and gas savings will not come close to covering that.
    It's silly to just look at MSRP to compare prices, when one car is discounted and the other is not.
    Resale value in the long term for a hybrid may not be good since few people will want to buy an older hybrid coming close to need for an battery replacement.
    A well-maintained used Civic LX with 80,000 miles is still a very desireable used car for many, but people will be very wary of a hybrid with that many miles.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    A well-maintained used Civic LX with 80,000 miles is still a very desireable used car for many, but people will be very wary of a hybrid with that many miles.

True, I would never own a hybrid beyond the warranty. I've heard of repairs costing 14,000 dollars. Luckily for that person it was still under warranty.
This discussion has been closed.