Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    It is not a matter of when, which will most likely be March 2006, but how much? Honda priced the last Civic out of its price range with very optimistic $19,7xx MSRP. And some people paid that. Majority of us did not. Will you be willing to pay $21,000 - $23,000 for a Civic? The Brembo's and 18 inch wheels will most likly not make it into the production vehicle, but may be available as HFP option, for another $5000.

I know that for $2000 more ($25,000 - $26,000) I can get an entry level Luxury vehicle with the same 200 hp, and more torque from 2.4 liter: Acura TSX.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    TSX weighs about 600 lbs more, so performance will be different.

I want to know about the 4 door and the standard engine as I don't race my car. I hope it does not look as overdone as the SI.
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    I was referring more to the base model Civic, the DX LX and EX. If I price a Civic EX sedan with auto, foglights, and sunroof, the price is nearly $20,000.

I would be willing to pay $20,000 for a 2006 Civic LX sedan with an iVTEC engine, 5speed auto, foglights, and sunroof. Thats not too far away from what other models in the class cost. A Mazda 3 5 door with similar options would cost $19,500. A Chevy Cobalt LS would cost $19,350.

There will most definatly be a price increase with the next gen Civic. Honda wants to move it a little more up market, with the forthcoming Fit/Jazz moving in to be the entry level Honda. Also, with Honda's new saftey campaign, according to the John Mendel's remarks, all Civics will offer ABS, front, side and side curtain airbags as standard equipment.
    I don't think an LX Divic will cost 20,000. An Accord LX is about 20k and you can get them for $18k.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    The new Civic Si will certainly cost a lot if it's getting 200hp, a 6-spd, and a LSD. $22k maybe?
    An RSX Type-S starts at close to $24k, and I'm not even sure if it has a LSD, so $22k seems reasonable.
    ...I would be willing to pay $20,000 for a 2006 Civic LX sedan with an iVTEC engine, 5speed auto, foglights, and sunroof. Thats not too far away from what other models in the class cost. A Mazda 3 5 door with similar options would cost $19,500. A Chevy Cobalt LS would cost $19,350. ...

If you want the sunroof, get the EX. I highly doubt that Honda would change the packaging. If the LX comes loaded as you describe, what would EX have, a kitchen sink?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    There is nothing to "hope" about. That is a concept of the Si. Even the real Si will be toned down from that, much less a plain LX 4-door.
  • speedrspeedr Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have information on the engine choices that
    honda is ofering with the 2006 Honda civic sedan
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Cobalt SS is $22k

RSX Type-S is $24k

SRT is $21k

Where does the Honda stack up against Axura's warranty?

SRT power?

Cobalt handling?

I think Honda will price it relative to the RSX, and where they plan to take it for it's 2008 redesign.

If it's over $21,500, I'd be surprised.

DrFill
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    the 1.7l will be history. just not very competitive in today's market. i surmise that all engines will be honda's wonderful 2.0l. base engines will be tuned in the 140-160 hp range with upscale models at 200 hp.

remember, the rsx is going to be history and the top of the line civic is the replacement. makes sense since the rsx seems out of place compared to acura's other models and most competitors have a high performance version of their economy cars.

i thought the current version civic was a meek effort by honda that has been eclipsed by cars such as the mazda 3. it looks like they may have remedied that with the next generation civic. i hope the four door looks just as daring as the two door coupe.
    I didn't know that Integra/RSX were on its way out. First Prelude, and now Integra/RSX, what's next?

I can attest to the fact that the K20 is an excellent all around engine, whether it is the 200/210 hp K20A2 or 160 hp K20A3. Much nicer engine to live with in everyday situations than the previous B-series. Some purists may not like it, because of the low (in Honda speak) red-line, and no pronounced VTEC engeagement points.
    The RSX can live on and take the S2000's engine, and use the Si's 200HP as a base model.

That's pure speculation.

ACURA has always been out of place, going there own way. And they've had an Integra/RSX/Civic derivative since inception, so it's a long shot that RSX is going anywhere.

DrFill
    Hopefully they will not go to the 2.0. 1.8 should be plenty and will be lighter and more efficient. The 1.8 had 140 hp in the Integra 13 years ago. That is plenty of hp for the vast majority of Civics.
    The RSX can live on and take the S2000's engine, and use the Si's 200HP as a base model.

Ha ha ha, that is really funny. I doubt that anyone, not even Honda would install an F-series engine in place of the K-series. For once, the F- series is longitudinally mounted, while Civic/RSX have transversely monuted K-series engines. The notion of engine swaps in the previous years involved B-series engines, which had similar engine mounts and dimentions.

Secondly, you would not want the F20 in the "heavy" RSX/Civic.

I agree that 140 hp is plenty for majority of Civic's. You don't want to have every high school kid, and retiree playing with the 200 hp an auto tranny. Look at Camaro/Mustang drivers, you don't want to have the same happen to Civic drivers.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    They need to add more to the DX or drop it. How many people buy a Civic DX? At least add Air Conditioning and a CD player. Make the DX like what my Value Package is now, price it at $13,500, and it'll be fine. The LX should have a CD Changer, Sunroof and whatever its got now. The EX should add a Shiftronic automatic, standard leather seats, a CD Changer/MP3 player and very stylish alloy wheels.

Just my opinion...
    I would like to see one item taken off of the EX - the sunroof. Takes away too much head room and makes the car undriveable for some of us. They can make an EX with and without the sunroof. Just like they make the EX Accord with and without leather.
  • sik99sik99 Member Posts: 23
    unless you are paying in the "luxury" segment, leather seats should NEVER be standard. not everyone likes burning thier legs in the summer on them.
    I was thinking Honda would probably make the leather models a seperate trim line- like EX-L.
    Sorry! The RSX's days are numbered.
    it's not a matter of horsepower but of torque. the civic's weight is getting up there and the 2.0l would be more suitable for today's market. of course this is my speculation but it would make sense to just use the 2.0l through out the civic line.
    Sorry. Opinions are like belly buttons.

DrFill
    it's my opinion that the sky is blue too DrFill.
    They need to add more to the DX or drop it. How many people buy a Civic DX? At least add Air Conditioning and a CD player. Make the DX like what my Value Package is now, price it at $13,500, and it'll be fine. The LX should have a CD Changer, Sunroof and whatever its got now. The EX should add a Shiftronic automatic, standard leather seats, a CD Changer/MP3 player and very stylish alloy wheels.

Just my opinion...

Look in college parking lots, there are plenty of Civic DX's. If you want a sunroof and other goodies, why not buy an EX, and stop complaining that LX doesn't have it. By adding all those options to LX it will cost more than current EX.

If you want to shift your own gears, stop being lazy and learn how to drive a real car, with a real clutch, unless you have a medical condition that prevents you form using your arms and legs. A CD/changer MP3 player is avaialable from Honda (stock SE radio), are you willing to pay $700 for it? Honda does have other alloys available, are you willing to pay $150/wheel, plus tires?
    Put your money where your mouth is. You probably want all those goodies for free, well, I hate to break it to you, there is no free lunch. If Honda added the options you mentioned to LX, the LX will cost as much as EX, and EX will cost as much as RSX. You want the Civic with leather seats, get RSX, simple as that. After owning one car with leather, I would never buy another that has leather seats. This is what has been stopping me from gettting TSX, leather is standard.
    Now let's talk Civic pricing.

Let's all guess where Honda comes down with pricing for it's various models. I say:

Civic DX (Sedans): $13,995

Civic HX: $14,995

Civic LX: $16,495

Civic EX: $17,995

Civic Si: $19,995

Civic Hybrid: $20,995

Just guesses, I didn't reference the current pricing sheet. I'll check it out now.

DrFill
    I'm not far off!

I maybe wrong, but I doubt it.

DrFill
    Honestly, how many people buy a car minus Air Conditioning?
    I bought an Integra RS minus a/c. Just added it at the dealer - exact same as the factory unit. It has worked fine for the last 15 years including 110+ degrees.

Sometimes you don't want the features of the next model up. An Accord DX with A/C added at the dealer is still quite a bit cheaper than the LX. The diff is less for the Civic. There are also some parts of the country where A/C is not needed.

With all the talk about hp and speed, losing the weight and drag of the a/c can also make a vehicle faster.

Probably people who live where it is not hot in the summer... People who like it hot... The list can go on and on...

You will be surprized how many people drive with thw windows down on a hot summer day to save gas, instead of turning on A/C. I am not one of them, the drag loss of open windows is greater than A/c pump drag. Plus, I don't want to arrive whereever I am going smelling and looking like I just ran a marathon.

But, when I have my parents with me in the car, they can not stand A/c, I have to turn it off and roll down the windows.
  • bruvymanbruvyman Member Posts: 3

---NOT MANY.

It is a loss-leader for Honda. Just a way to advertise low lease payments. Most delers do not carry the DX in stock. In fact it is very difficult to get a hold of a DX Civic
    A Civic DX... Hmmm... I haven't seen one on the road for a long time. I think I test drove one back in 1997 when I was car shopping. The DX had Air Conditioning though. I ended up buying an Accord Special Edition, from a different dealer.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Not many people realize it, but the lowest trim lines of the Civic and Accord are sans rear stabilizer bar. Thats a serious issue for me- I owned a 94 Civic DX 2 door that was hella tail-happy. No thanks.

~alpha
    I don't know how accurate this site is: http://www.honda-acura.net/index.php?categoryid=1&p2_articleid=12- 5&PHPSESSID=9350cae32575cee49fe35f5255b9f23e
    It did say the Si would produce 200hp, which it debuted and is pretty much confirmed to have.

The site says honda is developing, among others, new 1.5l, 1.8l, and 2.0l engines. I would assume if this is indeed true, that the 1.5l is for the Fit/Jazz, the 2.0 is for the Si, and most likely the 1.8l will be fitted to the lower level Civics.

It seems that Honda has increased displacement by 0.1l every generation, from the 1.5l that my 93 had, to 1.6l for the 96-00, then 1.7l for the 01-05, so 1.8l seems feasible for the 06-10 MY Civic. I also think iVTEC and hopefully 140hp.
    My 85 Civic DX had 1500 cc engine, which is 1.5 liter :-) and it had optional 5 spd tranny too :-)
  • chidorochidoro Member Posts: 125
    I actually see a lot of pre '96 DX's on the road. I rarely, if ever, see any newer models with the DX trim level. But that shouldn't be too surprising. AC was still an option on a lot of vehicles 12+ years ago as were cassette and/or cd players. I think vehicle expectations have increased pretty rapidly in the last 5-7 years.

If the EX Accord doesn't come standard w/ leather (the 4) than you can be sure it won't be standard on the civic ex. Besides, interior fabric upgrades seem to come during the refreshing stages of a model, not at it's inception.

It'll be curious to see what differentiates the LX and EX this time around. Since both engines will be indentical, I'm wondering if the horsepower will differ or be the same as it is with the Accord. If it's the same, Honda's going to have to add something else to grab people, maybe 4 wheel discs.
    Probably the sunroof and alloy wheels will be on the EX, like with the Accord.

It would be nice if the HX were available as a 4 door this time. To me the sporty 2 door and the efficient engine don't seem like the proper match.
    The EX always has, and always will, be more powerful than the LX.

I expect 160 HP in the EX, 130-140 in the others.

DrFill
  • chidorochidoro Member Posts: 125
    The EX Accord has no differentiation in HP from the LX. While I wouldn't discount it, I wouldn't expect it to be a guarantee. Maybe it will have a 5 speed auto like the one in the accord available, who knows?
    I would guess the hp to be the same since they're going to use the same i-vtec. I would also guess the differences might be alloy wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes, sunroof, and maybe a 6 speaker 6-cd changer stereo as standard.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Looks like pics have leaked for a possible Euro hatch 5 door. What's neat is you can't even tell it's a 5 door since the rears are so concealed and the handles are integrated into the window lines. Pretty slick looking car IMO with quite a daring design compared to the current conservative one.
  • brightonownerbrightonowner Member Posts: 5
    ...weep if you live in North America.

Here's the 2006 five door:
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=333599
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    If it didn't look too funky in person (such as that grill), if the seat comfort/room and driving dynamics were there, I would be all over that 5 door. Kinda like a more practical version of my Scion tC.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    the Si looks/sounds neat also. What they really need to do is an Si 5 door, but I sure ain't holding my breath for that one!

Of course, we will get a frumpy 3 box sedan I'm sure, and a 2 door coupe with not practical value.

Civics were always hatches in the good old days. My '85 1500S was amazingly roomy and practical for it's size, thanks to the boxy yet attractive shape.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Bring back the hatch. I agree that the 2 door coupe is hardly practical. I still don't understand why the least practical civic, gets the most practical engine - the HX coupe.
  • chris777chris777 Member Posts: 126
    I am sure most already have heard this, and since honda seems to thoroughly enjoy giving north america the shaft it should come as no surprise but :

"So far, there are no plans to bring any hatch to North America but, “there were not any plans to bring the past Civic Si hatch either”. In any case, given the new European Civic's direction, it would be difficult to integrate it in the NA Civic line-up. If it finally arrives to NA, it will be more likely as an Acura, and would be a 3 door hatch. But please, note that this is merely speculation on my part – the Honda rep did not know anything apart from the fact that so far Honda is not bringing a hatch to NA. "

From an interview off of vtech.net

I also had an erie observation today

everyone im sure had heard about all of the talk of a resurection of the CRX well if i didn't just happen to see one today that was spot on the exact same color as that orange civic 5 door .

And the resemblance was striking

In an updated way
    I've heard the 3 door will end up much like the 5 door in appearance, and sorry I forgot how to post picks, but compare the last CRX to the civic concept, and tell me they arent of the same genes (and no om not talking about the platform, im speaking of design, much like the insight, only a bit more subtle)

split window hatch with a pseudo built in fin
    the slope of the car
    the way it looks short and sleek like the crx,
    It just really stuck out when i spotted that car today, anyone else see it?
  • musermuser Member Posts: 11
    I agree with dudleyr -- the 3-door hatchback is the most practical configuration for those who want a performance daily driver. It is much more useful for carrying any cargo. Since 90% of the time i drive with 2 people or less in the car, a 5-door "sports wagon" is a waste of money. Give me a hot hatchback, or i'll give up on Honda and resort back to the original -- the VW GTI.

As for the European 2006 Civic -- it's not as ugly as most pictures show it to be, but it sure isn't anywhere near as brathtaking as the Alfa Romeo Brera. Why does the North American market get the heaviest, slowest, and most boring vehicles???
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    "...Why does the North American market get the heaviest, slowest, and most boring vehicles???"

Because we are the heaviest, slowest, and most boring people.

Seriously I would love to see either the 2dr or 4dr hatch with 200hp or better make it to NA. But I will try to await the arrival of the 2dr coupe and give it a look. Hope that the designers don't freak out on the interior. After two Audis I'm pretty much spoiled rotten when it comes to interiors.
    "...Why does the North American market get the heaviest, slowest, and most boring vehicles???"

Because we are the heaviest, slowest, and most boring people.

I agree, after living abroad for a few years, I realize how much back in time we are culturally. Europeans look at us as we look at Amish. Of course I am exaggerating, but as much as we would like to think that we are the leading nation, and we are in technology and engineering (slightly behind Japan), we are way behind on cultural advancment. And it shows from how fat we are (due to our eating habits and lack of exercise), what cars we drive, how we dress, and how stubborn (religiously) we are. Would I want to live in Europe? Not really, but I would like to see US to advance a little bit into the 21st century, culturally.

I look at Japan, having lived there as well, Japanese have been sucessful at mixing the old and the new. No where else in the world would you see such a harmonic blend of past, current and future, all in one. When you are on the street, people dress like they are in Paris, conduct business like Americans, and still retain Japanese cluture and religion.

Oh, well... end of rant.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    ...definitely don't dress like they are in Paris or conduct business like Americans...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This isn't the culture differences forum, but if you want to talk about it in relation to automotive manufacturing, feel free to do so on the News & Views board. Let's keep this discussion focused on the upcoming Civic.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I just saw some pics over at TOV of the Honda FR-V. I am pretty sure it's based on the Civic platform? I'd love to see that come to NA as a Civic 5door hatch. I think the Civic 5door that they show is extremely ugly, but that FR-V looks very nice. I'm sure it won't come here though.
This discussion has been closed.