Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 2005+

Comments

• cpdgcpdg Member Posts: 1
    Good point. I'll try reversing the crossbars when I have a chance this weekend and give everyone a progress report. It should only take a couple of minutes and an allen wrench. Interestingly, the leading crossbar still has a sticker on it indicating the leading edge is the "front" so I doubt the crossbars were installed backwards but anything is possible, I guess. It could be defect or just a dumb design. Personally, I think Honda should have copied the DCX crossbars. They are simpler and they work with no open top center channel to create wind noise, and no rubber seals to remove, rot, fall out or lose.
  • jeffn4jeffn4 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried to stow the Stowable 2nd-row PlusOne Seat into the space taken up by the lazy susan? I picked up my 05 EXL 3 weeks ago. So far so good and I really like it but over the weekend I removed the lazy susan and tried to pack the Stowable 2nd-row PlusOne Seat into the space as shown in the owner's manual. I couldn't do it. Has anyone here tried this with any success? The space is tight and I tried several combination of getting the seat into the space but just would not go in. I am tempted to just put it into the garage but like the idea of having it available if needed on a moment's notice.

One other thing the engine noice seems a little loud. I am going from a 99 Accord to this Ody but can hear the difference in the engine. Is this typical? Thanks!
  • mikeo1mikeo1 Member Posts: 53
    This is exactly what the problem was.

I moved the front one back last night and....

problem solved...no more wind noise.

I do agree, that for a Honda product

the user-freindly design factor of these

crossbars is really poor. I spent way

to much time on something this simple.
  • 939699939699 Member Posts: 1
    I got the 'check fuel cap' message as well. Only 4000km on the Van and the tank was at the 1/4 full mark when message came on. Took it to the dealer and they advised they replaced the fuel cap and reset the code. I am skeptical about the fix.
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "Has anyone tried to stow the Stowable 2nd-row PlusOne Seat into the space taken up by the lazy susan?"

Thanks for posting about this. I wondered if anyone had done it. We removed our Plus One seat as well (to move the right captain's seat over to the middle and allow better access tothe 3rd row), but I didn't try to put it in the lazy susan. It is just sitting in our garage, covered up. That Plus One was heavier than I expected. This doesn't help you, but I guess I assumed it would be a challenge to put it in the lazy susan.
  • minibuyerminibuyer Member Posts: 9
    One of the latches at the base of the plus one seat lets you collapse the plastic base. Once the base is flat, you can drop it into the in floor storage. Its in the owners manual in the section that explains how to remove the seat from its rails.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514
    Sadly, I haven't even opened up the hatch to the storage area. Wonder if anything is in there?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "Sadly, I haven't even opened up the hatch to the storage area. Wonder if anything is in there?"

My DVD headphones were!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514
    I don't have the RES, so that's not likely. Might have to check it out this weekend when I vacuum it out.

Most likely, anything I put in there will never be seen again, so why bother? ALthough with the lights left on possibilities, maybe I'll dig out a set of jumper cables and toss them in.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Keep us posted but I don't know why you would be skeptical about this most logical first step. Hondas are notorious for doing this when the cap is not turned well past its stopping point (I think they recommend five "clicks").
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    ALL late model cars will do the exact same thing.

They are designed that way. Nothing "notorious" about that.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Agreed.

It happened once w/ my Celica and at least twice w/ my wife's old 4runner. I've known individuals with BMW's, Ford's, and GM's that have done the same thing. If the gas cap doesn't tighten sufficiently, air will enter the tank as fuel is burned off, and the on-board computer will send an error code ('check engine light' comes on on the Toyotas).
  • burta10burta10 Member Posts: 28
    Just checked the mileage after 1180 miles, and ended up with 20.8 MPG average. Computation was easy as I have to use gas coupons to pay "only" $2 per gallon (Germans pay roughly $5 per gallon), and I had an exact record. These are mostly highway miles, but there are also about 30 days of driving the car just 1.5 miles to the school, then back, then repeat again in the afternoon. So there are some pretty "wasteful" miles in there too.

Overall, I am pleased with the mileage.
    I was not suggesting this happens only with Hondas and apologize if the impression was to the contrary - it does indeed happen with all cars.

In my experience (and those of others I know), Hondas just seem a bit more sensitive and one MUST make sure that gas cap clicks repeatedly after sealing.
  • jeffn4jeffn4 Member Posts: 2
    I am going to check the manual tonight. This has really been on my mind lately. I may not have time to actually try it until this weekend but will let you all know how it goes. I must admit I love driving this van, much faster than my Accord, though I only get to drive it fast when the kids are not in the car....

:>
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    The many accollades/awards for the Ody are coming in...

"Best performance minivan", "Best buy", etc from

Consumers Report

Car and Driver

Money Magazine

Kiplingers Magazine

and others that I cannot recall now.

The numbers speak for themselves. No need to say anything more. Just Observe.
  • erinmcooleyerinmcooley Member Posts: 2
    I am new, so please accept my apologies if this isnt in the "correct place"

Well, my hubby surprised me on my birthday (Nov.9, 04) with an 05, EXL odyssey. We had test drove it but they wouldnt deal so we left. We searced for a great price and could never get it, even with cash up front. My dh REFUSED to pay over 1000 over invoice. Well, he evenutally found somewhere who sold him the van for $29,500 (? i think it was 29,795 actually).

I LOVE it! I IMMEDIATELY (within the first 800 miles) started having really bad grinding noises with the brakes. I also had a wobble? in the wheel. I took the van to the dealership and they "patched" it. They sanded the brakes and machined the rotars. A few weeks later, same problem. This time they replaced the brake pads, machined the rotars AGAIN. My hubby was really upset with the machining of the rotars rather than replacing.

WELL, the van is now 3 months old, 4000 miles and in the shop for the 3rd time....same problem.

They keep telling me and my hubby its normal. I have had 9 hondas, 1 explorer and I know this isnt "normal"

Anyone else with brake problems? The dealership has told me that Im the only one in the US with this problem, I doubt it though!

Thanks, Erin
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    This is the first such problem that I have heard. So it is probably an isolated case.

The fix should be to replace the rotors and brake pads with new sets. That would cure your steering wheel wobble problems. Any imperfections in the rotors will cause these problems.

Maybe the dealer wants you to come back more often to charge Honda for repeated work???
  • erinmcooleyerinmcooley Member Posts: 2
    thanks! The rotar problem is rust? Does that sound right? They keep saying that rust is normal on all new cars...I dont know, just seems really fishy. I dont know what to do next though, just wait to see or go somewhere else? Contact honda?

Were lost, any ideas?
  • dc0027dc0027 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if adding a seat in the middle row (to make Odessey 8 seats) is possible for 1999-2004?

Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome to Edmunds and what a nice birthday surprise!

If the problem is normal, why is the dealer then telling you that you are the only one in the US with the problem? sheesh.

I'd contact HondaUSA and tell them you aren't happy with the dealer's efforts to fix your brakes - maybe that'll get you new rotors or whatever the van needs.

Check out the Honda Owners Club forums too.

Steve, Host
  • s2000fevers2000fever Member Posts: 37
    The rotors are cast iron. New or old, they all rust. The rust is worn off with the next application of teh brakes. I have not had a brake rotor warpage problem in a Honda since the early 80's - very strange. As I have not heard of a problem from others, I wonder if there is a problem with the pistons in the caliper. Who knows but I have found the brakes to be rock solid to this point.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    You need new pads, new rotors and make sure that the Honda Tech's properly torque the wheels by "hand" and don't use an air gun!
  • bobn04bobn04 Member Posts: 6
    We have had this happen several times with our 2000 model. There is something wrong with the rear braking.

In 130,000 miles we have had to replace the front pads and rotors many times, however, the rear shoes have never worn out. Apparently the front is doing all of the work, getting hot and warping the rotors. The rears are just going along for the ride.

I had hoped they had fixed this problem with the newer models. I would make sure this is fixed before your vehicle is out of warranty. Otherwise you will have this problem forever or have an expensive repair bill out of warranty.
  • jasonmerrickjasonmerrick Member Posts: 1
    I just upgraded my EX-L's audio system with new speakers and a small amp/sub combo. Everything sounds great, until I start driving... then the ANC kicks on over and over and I hear a loud booming through the sub. My wife has taken to counting down for our impending launch now whenever it starts!

Anyone know how to disable or defeat the ANC?
    In my experience, Honda brakes pads simply do not last very long. I suspect (without any evidence whatsoever) that they are designed intentionally very soft to help avoid the earlier rotor warpage problems Hondas had.
  • azkid2azkid2 Member Posts: 47
    I've yet to hear of really good gas mileage with the VCM engine. I thought I'd ask here under the '05 ODY, but you might want to post in the gas mileage posting. Thanx.
  • ace1000ace1000 Member Posts: 151
    I've calculated the mileage three times, and the mpg was 22,24,and 22. The 24 mpg was primarily freeway driving, but I was helping someone move, so the van was packed to the ceiling with a lot of furniture and heavy boxes. The 22 mpg included much more around town driving. I have an EX-L with under 2000 miles.
  • hlmrspdhlmrspd Member Posts: 13
    05 with VCM at 7500 miles, 22 mpg highway. So far I'm very disappointed with the mileage.
  • got-phogot-pho Member Posts: 7
    I was thinking about adding an after-market powered subwoofer but reading your post about ANC incompatibility issue, I wonder if I am better off with a genuine Honda sub.

Has anyone actually compared the sound quality of the Touring model (with Honda? power sub) and that of EXL?

Does the sound quality worth the extra cost of adding the $234 sub from "H and A Accessories"?
    Oh, I don't know...when I sold my 1999 V-6 coupe it still had the original front brake pads and they had almost half the pad material left.

People really don't want to hear this but the DRIVER has the greatest affect on brake life.

We all follow people everyday who use their brakes constantly.
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    So, by your reasoning, the folks complaining should have been used to wearing out their brakes from all the other vehicles they had driven the same way, eh?

Your argument just doesn't hold water, unless these people almost always wear out their brakes quickly or they suddenly became brake-pedal-riders in this one case....
  • mikeo1mikeo1 Member Posts: 53
    I had a very reputable and long time

local mechanic tell me that my

'01 OD front rotors were so hard that

his milling machine had no affect on them.

Of course he may have been selling me a line

but it would have been out of character for

this fella.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    I have heard of the same thing about driving habits contributing to brake wear. Now what I find hard to believe since if modern cars have ABS, which pumps the brakes for you, how can driving habits contribute to premature brake wear? (I can see this logic on older cars that don't have ABS.) We have a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire that has to have the front pads replaced every year or about 12K. To me this seems strange and when I asked the mechanic about this, years ago, they told me that the brake system on this model was bad compared to other cars. I had a 1986 Lincoln Town Car that had the pads changed about every 20K.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    >>I have heard of the same thing about driving habits contributing to brake wear. Now what I find hard to believe since if modern cars have ABS, which pumps the brakes for you, how can driving habits contribute to premature brake wear?<<

Because some people use the brakes a LOT more than needed. I'm always wondering (and fuming) why the person is hitting their brakes in front of me when it's a slight bend or - GASP - a police car with someone pulled over on the side of the road.

Just DRIVE, people!

Sorry, just one of my pet peeves. :)
  • rand01rand01 Member Posts: 75
    ABS only takes effect when a wheel is skidding, not a factor under normal braking and should have nothing to do with excessive brake wear.

I agree with Craig, the driver is the number one factor regarding brake wear. I see it every day, the light turns red 500 feet ahead and yet drivers continue to accelerate like it just turned green! A little vision down the road and good common sense goes a long way towards saving your brakes!

When I sold my 2000 Suburban, 40,000 miles and I bet I still had at least a good 1/3 of the original brake pad left on the front calipers.
    Masterpaul, I know some cars are harder on brakes than others but ABS has nothing to do with this.

ABS only comes into play in an emergency stop or if the road surface is slipperly and the driver comes down on the brakes hard.

We can blame this on the car if we want to, and, granted the car is definatly a factor but again, driving habits are the most important element of this.

If your Cavalier went through front pads everry 10,000 miles, I'm sorry, but I suspect a hard driver. People who brake with their left foot are the worst on brakes.
    Rand01. You are a careful driver who anticipates changes in traffic etc.

Like I've said before, nobody wants to take personal responsibility.
    I don't disagree with you. If a person who is used to getting 50,000 miles on a set of brake pads suddenly starts going through pads every 10,000 miles, something is wrong.

Or just maybe little Johnny just turned 16 and got his driver's license?

My parents had a tough time (at first)wondering why their Skylark started wearing out the rear tires and brakes so often. :)

Once they found out, my fun stopped!
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    If a vehicle has Traction Control the front brakes pads could wear out sooner if people don't understand what's going on when they are spinning the wheels.

Whatever the brake pads are made out of will effect brake wear and stopping distance.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    I agree. I remember hearing that in the older cars you where suppose to pump the brakes when coming to a stop. Now with the new brake technology, they say don't pump the brakes. Can anybody explain this to me? I know about electronic brake distribution because are van has it. Does it activate every time the brakes are applied? Thanks
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    I have a 2001 Chevy Impala and they are notorious for rotor warpage and early replacement. I had to replace my front and rear rotors at 30,000 miles. The pads were in great shape and were not replace at that time. A friend of mine at work has had their rotors replace 3 times in 100K and about to get theirs done again, I am also. Another friend with a Ford Crown Vic replaced their rotors front AND rear at about 30- 35K.

Don't know about Honda Odys but I have been offered many explanations some are beyond belief (the steel is too green and needs to be aged - would be ok of the rotors were allowed to sit out for a while??) My personal belief is that on the Impalas is that the problem is the Aluminum wheels which are very open to allowing water to hit the hot rotors when stopping in the rain. This seems to be a fairly common problem in many makes and seems to be more prominent with the growing popularity of open aluminum wheels and low profile tires.

Sionce I haven't changed driving habits and I never had this problem on any other vehicle and I drive approximately 22 - 25K a year and have driven in Europe as well as America, I don't think my driving habits are the source on one car having this problem.

Know this isn't directly addressable to the Ody but I hope it may offer some insight.
  • faxpawfaxpaw Member Posts: 17
    My daughter has our 2000 Odyssey, it currently has 125,000 miles. The front rotors were turned and pads replaced at 67,000 miles and at 119,500 miles the front rotors were replaced. The back brakes (drum type) are original and have 40% left! We previously had GM & Ford vans and the brake life wasn't even in the same league as our 2000 Odyssey. I can only hope that our 2005 EXL does as well.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    It sounds like ANC has its bad side (booming sound when you don't want it).

I assume ANC is the Active Noise Cancellation where the radio theoretically sends out out-of-phase sound to cancel out the original engine noise (like airplane headphone)

Since the ANC is in the radio head (made by Clarion, I think), the simplest solution is to replace the radio head. Most of the times, radio makers have calibration EEPROM memmory for adjusting certain radio parameters. If that is the case, I bet they have an ON/OFF option for the ANC. But only the dealers or OEM/supplier engineers have the tool to read or change these values.

Even after you disable the ANC, you may hear more mechanical engine vibration since ANC was designed to reduce this effect.

JT
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    Wasn't one of the possible causes of warped rotors the over/under-tightening of the lug nuts when putting the wheels on? If so, that might explain the variable results people are experiencing depending on whether/not a torque wrench was used correctly on the lug nuts. Besides, I'm guessing that the least-experienced guy in the shop is the one given tire/wheel duty, so quality might be highly variable!
  • daddyddaddyd Member Posts: 22
    To me, it sounds more like a dull tool on his milling machine than anything else.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I got between 60-70k miles on brake pads on every car I've own. But those are regular size sedans and I am sure if I drive a 4000 lbs plus vehicle, the life of the brake pads would be much less.

But people got to remember easing off the accelerator also slows the car down too.
  • olioolio Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone confirm a noticeable downshift around 10MPH when braking (e.g. when slowing for a stop sign)on the 2005 Odyssey? Maybe the transmission "learning" the driving style? Just want to know if I should bring it in to the dealer. The missus (primary driver) does not seem to notice.
  • li_285li_285 Member Posts: 29
    It seems that each time I use automatic climate control which is my default setting, I will see quite some water dripping under the car even when the set temperature is far greater than outside temperature. Is this normal? Does AC work all the time to correct the fluctuation in temperature? Thanks.
  • li_285li_285 Member Posts: 29
    It seems that each time I use automatic climate control which is my default setting, I will see quite some water dripping under the car even when the set temperature is far greater than outside temperature. Is this normal? Does AC work all the time to correct the fluctuation in temperature? Thanks.