Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• sciencemanscienceman Member Posts: 80
    >[CR reviews are] written by people who consider cars to be mere appliances

..so true you are. But if any car is to be considered an appliance, my vote would go to the minivan. A minivan is the definition of a "utility vehicle"--no sport. Although they do make note of the "agile and precise" handling of the Odyssey.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Good point. For that reason, I would probably trust a minivan review more than I would some of their others.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Funny, I'm more of an appliance guy but I really don't trust CR. I want to know what the folks who care think.

Steve, Host
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I like CR tests because they test every vehicle by the same standards. How often do car mags praise a truck for its' great ride and handling when they mean "for a truck". CR has a whole car testing division with probably as many enthusiasts as some car mags have. The people who test the washing machines don't test the cars.

I also don't completely trust people reviewing items when they take money from the manufacturers (in the form of advertisements).
    Heh, I did run across an email today from an auto blog outfit offering compensation for favorable car reviews at their blog site. What's that quote again - trust, but verify?

Unless you're talking about a car salesperson, then it's trust but vilify. <g>

Steve, Host
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    "Funny, I'm more of an appliance guy but I really don't trust CR."

What's your basis for not trusting them? In my opinion they do a great job and are certainly unbiased.
    I got into canoeing in '74 and relied on CR instead of the enthusiasts at the local boating store. Wound up buying something inappropriate for my needs. The other issue is when you want a new vacuum/mixer/dryer, the model numbers never match what's in the stores. Cars don't have that problem, but I'm still jaded from my experience. The net is a great replacement, imo.

Steve, Host
    "I got into canoeing in '74 and relied on CR instead of the enthusiasts at the local boating store. Wound up buying something inappropriate for my needs. The other issue is when you want a new vacuum/mixer/dryer, the model numbers never match what's in the stores. Cars don't have that problem, but I'm still jaded from my experience."

I think your last sentence sums up the reason for your attitude correctly. I've been an avid user of CR's recommendations for appliances and electronics (except computers) for over a decade and found them to be indispensable. I also found that I can almost always find the models listed in their reviews.

Canoeing equipment is esoteric enough that I wouldn't rely on CR for recommendations, but would instead seek out expert opinions or specialized magazines.
    It's another useful source, but I was thrilled to find Edmunds reviews and pricing info (for free) back in '98 when I was last shopping new. I then to hit Usenet first for everything else, and then widen my search from there.

Although I purchased my second canoe from an engineer, I really don't trust them exclusively for buying info either since I like more shades of gray than many of my engineer acquaintances want to give.

Steve, Host
    Isn't THAT the truth!

But as far as the car reviews are concerned, the less tangible things that make you really love a car are absent from these articles. But if you want a critique on the cupholders, and number of defects in the example tested, CR is your mag.
    Sometimes you have to read between the lines with CR. I tend to trust most of what they say - but I may come up with a different conclusion, as my preferences may be different from theirs. I do think they are the best source of numbers like fuel mileage, seat room, acceleration times, etc. Before everybody says they can't drive because they get slower numbers - they state that they don't drop the clutch or load the torque converter.

One thing I don't like about their appliance reviews etc. is that they concentrate too much on performance, but not long term livability. I bought one of their best buy vacuums, and it works as advertised, but it keeps breaking belts and they are $8 a pop. I actually trust their car reviews more, as they are so consistent. Makes it easy to compare accros types etc.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Am I on the Consumer Reports board... or the Honda Odyssey versus Toyota Sienna board? And to think that Steve, our host,started and perpetuated this off topic discussion.tsk tsk tsk

Back to topic.In reading the Honda Ody prices paid board it is interesting to note how quickly prices have fallen from MSRP to roughly 2% over invoice.It appears a lot of Ody buyers are useing Sienna prices as leverage to get a better price on their Odys.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I find these CR references hilarious, especially since earlier this week I had a post deleted (from the Odyssey prices paid/buying experience thread) that went way, way off topic in discussing, heaven forbid, extended warranties.

The question I'm curious about, jipster, is whether soft Odyssey prices are indicative of a relatively poor reception of the product in particular, competition, or generally weak auto sales - or all three.

Both the Odyssey and Sienna seem to be selling well in my market (Columbus, OH) and buyers appear to be hard pressed to duplicate the great deals reported by many posters here on both models in other locations.
    Laugh all you want. The Hosts are militant about that Prices Paid board. They seem to give this one more latitude-- and rightly so.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Latitude is one thing...14 posts is another.It shouldn't matter what board you are in.

When I get sent e-mails "reminding" me of the rules of the road...I would expect the hosts to follow those same rules.Right hosts?

In reguards to your post cccompson...I think it is a combination. I think the competiton is much tougher though than Honda thought.Sienna sales are still strong..and the Chrysler with stow and go is doing really well also.GM has there "new" minivans out.Good times for the buyer.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I think (hope) the hosts realize that no latitude in the discussion equals no fun. Not unlike watching a sporting event, and being told you can only look straight ahead....
  • cpstarcpstar Member Posts: 31
    I bought one of their best buy vacuums, and it works as advertised, but it keeps breaking belts and they are $8 a pop So true...you and I probably have the same model. I used to consult with CR almost religiously but no more.
  • alanmushnickalanmushnick Member Posts: 3
    Both are excellent products. I found the option packages for the Sienna confusing. I went with Honda because of the more flexible seating configuration. I could have an 8 seater with a leather interior. It handled more nimbly and more car like. Both were quiet, I didn't notice either to be much different. At similar trim levels, I was able to get the Odyssey EX-L/RES for a few thousand less than a similarly equipped Sienna(I was looking for side airbags, stability assist, leather, DVD). It was enough money to make a difference, probably 3-4K. I did like the console in the Sienna.

I am interested to see what consumer reports highlights as differrences. I can't imagine that one would strongly outshine another.
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    Still going Off Topic on CR, ignore if you wish...

Being an avid cyclist, I&#146;m amused by CR&#146;s reviews of bicycles.

One review of bicycle had a rider coast down a hill and measured either the distance traveled or the top speed, I don&#146;t recall. This is a ridiculous test since the conditions can&#146;t be controlled and several items on the bike/rider would affect this test yet not have any bearing on the quality of the bike.

Why do I bring it up? Yes, CR applies their tests equally and objectively, but they go overboard on trying to come up with tests in their attempts to be objective. IOW, there&#146;s no reason to apply the same tests to a Miata and an Odyssey.

-murray
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Whao, I just saw this blast from the past!

"The Odyssey has adjustable pedals, and the Sienna doesn't. So should there be an 'Adjustable Pedals' thread for that discussion too?"

There should be if there are 50 posts about it. The PAX stuff was crowding out everything else and clearly deserved its own thread.
  • coloradodcoloradod Member Posts: 8
    The Sienna I'm looking at has AWD with 17" wheels and run flat tires. My question is: can other tires be mounted on these rims. For example, I'm on vacation in a remote place and have a flat. If there are no compatible run flat replacements available, will any old tire fit on the rim and get me on the way? This is quite possible based on the places we travel. I know the Touring Oddysey has wheels that only fit one kind of tire - and that tire is not easily found outside of a Honda dealership. Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    Yes. The wheels are standard.
  • joecb128joecb128 Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I have three small children (all under 3) and we wanted to buy a minivan to transport and protect them.

We were considering the low-end-trim-line versions of the Toyota and Honda minivans. We're frugal (some might even say cheap), and we were upgrading from twelve-year-old cars, so even the low end new cars seem pretty luxurious to us.

We found the Toyota to have these advantages:

+ More flexible LATCH system in the third row. (Allowing two child seats to use the LATCH system in the third row, rather than just one on the Honda.)

+ the shoulder belt attachment point in the second row seats of the Toyota is attached to the seat, which means you have more flexibility in placing child car seats. This Once the child + seat weighs more than 46 pounds you're supposed to use the seat belt rather than the LATCH system to secure the child's car seat. (Basically, on the Honda you have to separate the captain's chairs if you're going to use the seatbelts to secure child seats, and then use the aisle between the two captain's chairs to get to the back row. On the Sienna you can choose that config, or have both seats pushed towards the driver's side, and use the space on the passenger side as an aisle.

+ During test drives I thought the Toyota gave a slightly better view of the road, due to a narrower roof pillar.

+ I liked the style of the Toyota more.

Some Honda advantages:

+ Simpler options packages. The base model had everything we wanted, especially the safety features like curtain airbags. (Although, to be fair, curtain airbags seem only useful for keeping unbelted passengers inside the vehicle during a roll-over accident. We plan on always using our seat belts, so this seems like a not-very-necessary addition.)

+ Slightly peppier handling.

+ We personally have had better experience with Honda reliability than with Toyota reliability.

+ The Honda was much cheaper (by $1000 or so) when configured as we wanted them. (Base trim line + safety options.)

+ My wife liked the style of the Honda more.

P.S. I posted earlier on this board that I was leaning towards the Sienna, due to the flexibility in car seats. But in the end, the price difference won me over to the Honda.

P.P.S. Many of the style issues I had with the Honda - e.g. not liking the front or back light styling -- were just temporary. Now I kind of like its looks. Also, the thick roof pillar doesn't bother me much any more. I think maybe during the test drive the seat was too far back.

P.P.P.S. It did turn out that the Odyseey is too large for my one-car garage: it's a little too wide to park comfortably, and the lift gate is too high when opened - it hits the garage door. Luckily I have a larger covered car port next to the garage. I suspect the Toyota would be about as big, but I wanted to mention that prospective first-time minivan buyers should measure their garage!
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Good choice. Neat post. I suspect that the Honda would have won anyway. As you stated, "But in the end, the price difference won me over to the Honda". It was cheaper and you admit to being frugal.
  • patrickngpatrickng Member Posts: 5
    I also have 3 children, actually one is still inside my wife's tummy. Anyhow, my question is: have anyone compare the 8 passengers between Toyota and Honda. I didn't test drive the two vans but I looked at them in the show room. I found the 8 passengers of Toyota is more roomy than Honda. For 2 adults and 3 children config family. Toyota seating seems suit better as the third row can always lie flat to get more cargo space. Although Honda can also do that, but the 3 seats in the second row seems more tight. Agree?
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    I think most objective reviewers have said that the second row in Sienna better fits, say, three car seats, and is slightly more roomie. Also, most objective reviewers seem to think Honda's third row is more comfortable. We bought a 2005 Ody and we took out the Plus One seat and kept the two captain's chairs.
    For 3 kids I think the Toyota is much safer, as you can put 3 car seats in the middle and not put any kids in the least safe row of all - with their heads less than 2 feet from the hood of that SUV.

I don't think the Honda will fit 3 car seats in the middle. The Honda is definately more comfortable for two in the middle row, and I think the rear row in the Honda is more comfortable as well.

If I had 2 kids I would get the Honda for sure. If I had 4 kids and always had to use the third row I would get the Honda for sure. With 3 kids the 8 passenger Sienna is safer and more versatile if the kids are in car seats. My kids are out of car seats and don't mind the narrow middle seat of the Honda. I am still weighing the pros and cons of each.

It is tough coming from a first generation Odyssey which seats 3 in the middle more comfortably than either the Honda or Toyota despite being narrower. The key is a less sculpted bench, and seats that actually go all the way to the side of the vehicle. The Ody and Sienna seats stop about 6" from the door on either side, so the middle seat is much narrower than in could be.

Wish they still sold that model here - especially now that it has been improved. Every manufacturer has to have half a dozen SUV's, but 2 different sized minivans seems to be an impossible task.
    Well, I guess it depends on how old your 3 kids are, how big your car seats are, and whether you want to put anyone at all, even adults, in the back row. (We couldn't figure out how you could get to the back row if the car seats were installed in all three middle row seats.)

For now my kids are so young that two of them are still in rear-facing car seats, and the third can't buckle themselves into their forward facing seat. As a result, we need to be able to get easy access to all three seats, and it didn't seem very doable with all three in the middle row.

Later, when the kids are bigger, the question is whether the really big Britax Huskey style car seats would fit three across in one row. (And anyway, we still want to be able to take seven people on trips, so we still wanted access to the third row.

Now, granted, once we actually put a big car seat in the middle of the Odyssey third row we were surprised to discover that it's actually a fairly snug fit for an adult to try to sit on either side of the child's car seat. This is due to the plastic cup holders that are built over the wheel wells.

I think anyone with lots of kids still using car seats who's thinking of buying either of these vans should try fitting their car seats into the van before buying.
    Well, yeah we're frugal, so price played a big part in our decision. But also my wife just liked the Honda better, and she's pretty strong willed. ;-)
  • coloradodcoloradod Member Posts: 8
    Thanks to all who post their thoughts here. It is a real help to hear the unbiased opinions of real people.

After much research, my choices came down to the Honda and the Toyota (no surprise). I ended up buying a 05 Sienna LE with AWD and option package 10. I actually liked the Odyssey more based on road feel and general impressions. It cornered better and just seemed to be more fun. The Odyssey also has a much better RES. The Sienna won out mostly because of the AWD option. If Honda offered an AWD version, I'd have bought it. I live in a place where snow is a real issue, so this was pretty much what determined my choice. AWD figures into the resale equation also. People here are willing to pay a lot more for anything with 4WD or AWD. There were some other serious advantages for Toyota &#150; the longer drive train warranty and standard rim run flats.

I got this car for $30,300, which works out to invoice + a couple of hundred bucks + $300 for &#145;dealer prep&#146;. There was a 1.9% finance deal also. Sticker was $33,451. It had 600 miles on it so was either on the lot for a while or used for a lot of test drives. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of hassle in this purchase. I&#146;d heard that Toyota dealers took a &#145;take-it-or-leave-it&#146; approach to negotiations, but that was not my experience. I offered them invoice and they pretty much said OK. They&#146;re not losing money (what with holdbacks, factory incentives, etc.). I never got to the point of serious negotiations with Honda &#150; so I can not say what their bottom line price would have been.
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Haven't done anything yet but as I look and listen here are my leanings.

Honda Ody - Negatives - Quality issues for first year model.

Honda Ody Positives - Handling and room. My oldest is in college and my other is a junior in high school so all I want is some light duty hauling room. Worst case scenarios is my wife, myself, daughter (college kid), son with luggage and two dog crates for my two gophers,I mean beagles ( you would have to see my back yard to understand).

Though about Pilot but want more room and don't care about 4wheel drive (poor mileage and more to break. Also it is only AWD at slow speeds. I'm not going out if the roads are that bad.)

Looked at highlander, love the styling but too small.

Looking at Sienna but concerned about handling, and engine hesitation problems and transmission shift issues.

Looked at Nissan Pathfinder (like the large tow capacity for moving, which I do about every three years.) but it is built and rides like a truck.

With no concerns about car seats, I am leaning toward Ody (really want a Pilot but longer for more room and with FWD only but isn't that an Ody?)

Still thinking. Have to wait till wife is out of school to do something
  • engelbrechtengelbrecht Member Posts: 1
    Do you know for sure that regular tires can be used instead of run flats ?

Also can you tell me why you wouldn't buy a Siena again.
  • ken17ken17 Member Posts: 19
    I'm not aware of any hesitation problems or transmission shift issues with the Sienna. I've not experienced any myself, and have not read of such problems. Just curious as to where you might have heard of these issues?

As far as handling goes, no doubt the Sienna is not a fine handling vehicle. Then again, it's not something I personally notice when driving the Sienna because I don't drive it hard. It's exceptionally smooth and quiet - More so then the Ody based on the March Consumer Reports evaluation. But, the trade off is less responsive handling.

Hope I don't start a Consumer Reports String - But, I did happen to see the 2005 Review of mini vans. Although the Ody is the top rated minivan, it's extremely close. I believe Consumer Reports used the words "Virtual Tie". The Ody excelled in certain things and the Sienna in others. In the end it comes down to individual preference.
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Engine hesitation problem may have been foggy memory from research on Highlander. If so, please excuse.

Everybody rates them a virtual dead heat tie but with differences. I think that is what is frustrating to a lot of folks; if we could take part of each and combine we would have the perfect van but then again what one person likes another person doesn't. Agree that both are superior vehicles and you really can't go wrong with either.
    Interesting. I've not personally had problems with transmission hesitation, but sounds like others have.

Anyway, neat web site for Sienna owners. Thanks.
  • bartolomebartolome Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2001 Toyota Sienna which I bought when our twins were born. When shopping for a new minivan I noticed that the new Sienna still has, what I consider, a safety flaw.

Rear seat occupants (kids) can open the power sliding doors from the inside by either pulling on the door handles or pushing on the power door buttons located right next (when the door is closed) to the door handles.

Front seat occupants (parents) can open the power sliding doors from the inside by pushing the power buttons located in the front console (near the stereo).

The child safety lock on the sliding power doors only prevents the doors from being opened when pulling on the inside door handles. The safety feature is easily bypassed by the push button that sits right next to the inside door handles (which my twins enjoy utilizing). When I spoke to Toyota Corp about this they suggested that the power door lockout button on the front console resolves this issue, however it also locks out the power sliding door buttons on the front console that the driver or front passenger would use to open either of the two power sliding doors thus negating the expensive dual power sliding doors option.

Basically Toyota fails to recognize that the child safety locks should automatically prevent the power sliding doors from being opened by rear seat occupants regardless of what method they may attempt to use to open the sliding power doors.

It is also annoying that Toyota thinks it's ok to sell you the power door option but require you to fully disengage it to prevent rear seat occupants from opening the power sliding doors on their own.

I should mention that this is only a problem when the car is in park, as the power sliding doors cannot be opened by any method while the car is in motion. However, it is when you arrive at your destination (the park, McDonalds, etc.) and put the car in park that the kids are most likely to want to open the power sliding doors and jump out into traffic or a busy parking lot before parents have a chance to get out of the car and safely help them out.
    I bought a Sienna 2005 with manual sliding door. Found out my 8 years old have difficulty closing it. When she closes it, it always cannot fully closed and I have to jump out of the car and do it myself. I don't blame her as I some times couldn't do it right either. Any advice on this matter are greatly appreciated... Is Honda doing better in this aspect? or should I take it to the dealer see if they can improve the door closing mechanism by tuning somthing...etc.
  • ickahogickahog Member Posts: 9
    For those of us considering nav+res w/ our new van the fact that you give up a 6 disc changer and sacrifice screen size in the sienna may be a deal breaker/maker.
    An update to this matter, after talking to a close by dealer, they said 2005 Sienna has a heavier sliding door as compare to previous model. Therefore, more difficult to close is an expected issue, especially when closing from inside. Therefore, for those of you out there who haven't buy Sienna 2005, please compare this important feature with Honda first if you are buying manual sliding door.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I'm glad you posted about the Toyota's power door activation options. Many posters here have lauded them for the placement of the door buttons in the rear. Your post reminds me of why it is, in fact, a poor design.
    It still seems like it could be adjusted to more easily shut, especially by an adult. Did you test close some other '05's?

And try it with a window open to rule out air pressure.

Steve, Host
    I can't speak for all of the Sienna Models. However, I have the 2004 XLE Limited with the power sliding doors. The problem you mention does not exist with this car (I just tried it to make sure before responding to your post). You can set the locking mechanism in different ways. However, the way the car came from the factory, it was set so that the doors lock when the car is placed in gear. When you arrive at your location and place the car in park, the sliding doors (all the doors for that matter) are locked. They can't be opened using the power button that the kids can reach near the sliding door, nor can they be opened using the manual inside handle. They can only be opened after you have activated the unlock button which is located on the front drivers side or front passenger side. As I mentioned, you can change the factor setting so that the doors don't lock when you place the car in gear. But, I can't imagine why one would want to do that. Especially with kids in the middle seat.
  • jake40jake40 Member Posts: 5
    I love all the posts, especially Coloradood since we travel there five to six times a year, although I won't be purchasing an AWD.

My wife and I, like many, have a difficult decision to make between the Honda and Toyota. After six months monitoring this site, as well reading articles, including CR, and numerous test drives, my wife and I still think both vans are great. For what it's worth here's my 2 cents on pros and cons as I have kept a list on both:

Honda: Pros - bigger second and third row seats, easier access to the back, third row easier to fold down, better handling, lower price (however, closer to MSRP, $2,000 off), braking (as detailed in CR), and Moonroof standard in EXL. In Arizona, Toyotas XLEs are primarily only available with DVD, and very few with Moonroof.

Cons - No power rear liftgate, no telescoping steering wheel, 16" tires, just a "tad" louder on the interstate, no power passenger seat. VCM - ties with Toyota's engine, so no big difference in their publicized engine, first dealer I went to in Tucson only gave $600 off with a bad attitude, I then went to Phoenix and got $1,500 off, then back to another Tucson dealer for another $500.

Toyota: Pros - Power train warranty of 5/60, power rear tailgate, telescoping steering (my wife likes this since it puts her closer to the wheel), smoother ride, 17" wheels available, power passenger seat, power heated side mirrors, willing to deal more (but still higher than Honda),

Cons - Access to back a little more difficult, third row a little harder to fold down, most XLEs in Arizona come with a $1,600 DVD, a 7" monitor (Honda's 9"), BTW, you can get an excellent, larger screen system installed for $1,000 elsewhere. Only four packages are now available in the XLE in Arizona and these add significant amounts to the bottom line.

If I can't find a Toyota without the DVD, since in my research it's now worth the price, I will probably go with the Honda and end up putting a higher quality system in the van for less money.

After six months of research, you can't go wrong either way; however, like the rest of you, I wish I could pick from each van to build the ultimate van ... but for now, we hope to make a decision by this 3-day weekend.

Thanks for all the previous advice and good luck to the rest of you.
  • greg_ygreg_y Member Posts: 26
    You seemed to have a problem with third row seat access on the Sienna. Did you know that you can very easily flip up either middle row seat to give you more room to access the third row seat?

Also, on 7 passenger Siennas, you can move the passenger side second row seat to a center position that gives you very easy access to the third row. Much better than the Honda.
    We are from Toronto Canada, may be it is different here, Sienna cost less than Honda Odyssey. Anyhow, we end up purchased a 8 passengers Sienna CE. We love the Van. We have one 8 year old and 2 infants. The van is perfect for such configuration. We wouldn't want to spend $6000 CAD more for the sake of the power door to go up one model. Although, power door is really nice to have, now that I know the inconvenience of manual door. Anyhow, I found the driving of the Sienna is really an enjoyment, so quiet, steady, my wife no longer complains like before when I am driving the Honda Civic with her, that she have a headache... We are quite happy with the purchase and is considered the most successful vehicle purchase so far in our life.

Hope this help those Sienna lovers as I kind of feel most messages lean towards Odyssy.
    I agree about your assessment of the Sienna. I just thought it was easier accessing the third row in the Honda due to its easier handle on the second row bucket seat.

Also, my comments are in context of judging an XLE vs. EXL, thus, the things you get and don't get with each model.

Has anyone test drove both vehicles on longer highway miles to better assess the noise insulation issue?
  • greg_ygreg_y Member Posts: 26
    I drove my mothers 2005 Odyssey for about 120 miles two weekends ago. I would give the 2004/2005 Sienna a slight edge (but only slight) on the noise front. All in all the Odyssey is a very nice choice. Either van will be a good choice.

My last car was noisy and rough riding. The Sienna was the perfect antidote after spending a few years with a bucking bronco.

The Odyssey handling has a sportier feel. I say this becuase after driving both of them at a pretty good pace on exit ramps I don't think the ultimate handling limits of the Odyssey are any higher than those of the Sienna. It just feels a little better. Neither of these vehicles is going to put a 20 year old BMW 3-series on a trailer at an authocross event any time soon.

I notice that some people llike the more aggressive throttle ramp-up of the Odyssey's drive-by-wire rather than the gentle nature of the Sienna's throttle application. I liked the Honda system better too until it snowed. The Sienna drive-by-wire system allows much more precise throttle control and therefore modulation of wheelspin than the Odyssey. I know both vehicles have traction control, but I prefer not to get into trouble in the first place.

If you have aspirations to be the next Michael Schumaker, put on that driving helmet and buy an Odyssey.

If you live in Michigan (or Richomd, VA) and have really rough roads, a Sienna may be the answer to your prayers.
    Thank You for your advice. I do not have the luxury able to slam many Sienna 05 doors. There is however, a difference between the two doors I feel. But the dealer said it cannot be adjusted and the closing force is within the acceptable limit. I didn't try the air pressure yet, but would try next time. But I just come up with a better idea, I think when I back in the drive way make the slope help the closing direction, it should definitely help my daughter closing the door from inside.... I think that will work... Thanks for this good site anyway...
    Thanks. Just got back from test driving both, again. Drove both on the highway for 10 miles. I noticed the Sienna was definitely quieter/smoother than the Honda. But then, I prefer smooth/quiet ride vs. road handling, which the Honda still has over the Sienna. The Toyota dealer is much more aggressive at invoice +300, which puts it at the Honda price. I probably will get the Sienna, even though in Arizona the XLEs all come with the DVD. Oh well, my teenagers will be happy.
  • siennaman2siennaman2 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any info or experience with Sienna Nav system? There is not a lot of info