Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    If I offended you, I sincerely apologize. It was not intended. Others around here will tell that is not my style. I really didn't understand what you were trying to accomplish and I do try to be helpful. To me, floor mats are a disposable item to protect the carpet. When they get worn out, you throw them away and get new ones. It seems to me that if it is the nature of where you live that a lot of dirt/mud gets tracked in, any type of mat will get dirty. I did have cocoa mats in a car many years ago. They are better than most at not showing the dirt but that is party due to the fact that the dirt kind of goes through them so they are probably not protecting the carpet as other types of mats. They were also kind of slippery which I personally didn't like.
    By all means, do whatever it takes to bring a smile to your wife's face. You both deserve it.
  • zaqzaq Member Posts: 19
    Being a recent ex-resident of Vermont, if you live in the central part of the state do me a favor and flog that new miata over the 125 gap from Rt 7 to rt 100, and then, go up north to rt 17 east over the mountain back to 7.

You see, I moved out of the state and then got my car, and I really really need to do this soon. It may involve a 2000 mile road trip just for that.

-Z
  • blackcurrantblackcurrant Member Posts: 152
    FWIW, i will vouch for dgraves. He has a remarkable way of maintaining respect for everyone. I'm sure he didn't mean to be rude.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Thief, sorry but I was thinking the same thing as dgraves as I couldn't figure it out either. That said: I wonder if this would work -- in the WalMart you can get clear plastic floor mats. I wonder if they would work on top of the "good" ones? I don't know...just an idea.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    If you want a real roll bar, get Harddog. There are different version of Harddog bars and you may lose the use of the hardtop with some version, but they are SCCA legal(some of them). For details check harddog website (http://www.bethania-garage.com/miata.htm)
    And if you want to check out pictures of rolled Miatas (Miatae?) and why you want a roll bar, check this out.
    http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ebitzm/miata/shiv/
    http://ftp.wi.net/~fizzx/safety/
    Not to sound like a commercial, but if you want more details, check out www.miataforum.com and www.miata.net
    And I don't think a roll bar would kill the resale value of a car like the Miata. For most people, a Miata is something they hop in to drive, and autocross and even race. A real roll bar is not cheap and it increase the safety margin and tighten up the car (it is a convertible afterall)
    And who cares about resale value anyway, when you are having so much fun. Go out and drive.
    *putting on absbesto suit*
  • iforgotitiforgotit Member Posts: 11
    Here are some pics of a rolled 10 AE.
    http://www.networkone.net/~mark/
    Your enthusiasm is infectious, karl1973, and usually I find myself agreeing with you, but I think all the spring air has you thinking with your right foot! Understandable, but ...

"most people" don't buy a Miata -- or anything else -- to compete. There are over 300,000 Miatas. Only a very few of them will ever see the inside of a track, even autoX. Let alone a race track! (What a shame:)

Any modification made to a car that suggests it has been driven hard will dramatically lower its resale value. A roll bar is expensive, and the first thing most people/dealers will think at trade-in time, I believe, is that the car has had the heck kicked out of it and demand a substantial discount from book value. (If you want me to, I could check at the local dealer?)

Take care.
    Joe W.
    well, I for one wouldn't be selling mine, but hey, what do I know?
    Anyway, for the most part, if you want to trade in a car, you are better off selling it on your own anyway. And if you are selling a Miata with a roll bar, I'd imagine you can probably get more money out of it when you sell it to someone who know what they want in a Miata.
    Just my opinion.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    All I can say is now I am just little upset! Went to the dealer, actually 2 dealers, here in NoVA. Not a one of them has ANY Miata in stock with ABS. Is that normal? I know it might seem like I am being a "wus", but a car that size and that light, to me, NEEDS ABS. If they can make it standard on a base Cabrio, they should at least offer it on the Miata. I know that technically it is offered, but the dealer said I will NEVER find one with ABS. Is this true, does anyone know?

Thanks
    Keep looking, Justin. I have ABS on my '92. Just called my friend with his '99 and he has it, too. It was part of the packaged options, I believe, and you can find the details on the package you're looking for if you go to www.miata.net There is a listing there of all the packages/options Mazda offers by year. Did you check the brochure for the current model?

As I recall, it was standard on the M packages and optional for the rest.

The dealer was blowing smoke. Surprise, Surprise!

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • usayitusayit Member Posts: 17
    I've been in the market for a roadster for pure fun and I think I have it down to the Miata and the BMW Z3 2.3 (or 2.8). Originally, I had planned to spend between 30-40k on a roadster (S2000, Z3, Audi TT,..) but I decided to testdrive a Miata since it has had lots of good reviews and its price. Wow... I was impressed and it started to get me to think... Is the Z3 worth the extra $$$. My max price is 40k but I have to believe that a car is worth every penny I spend. The thing fits like a glove and it eats corners. I know that the Z3 has an advantage in the power realm but "fun-factor"/doller the miata still has me won over. I've posted on the "Y2K BMW Z3" group and got a couple good replies. I'm still leaning towards the miata even though I still smile at the Z3. Is there anyone here who eventually chose the Miata over the Z3? If so why?

Also, I'm descent with the wrench and I'm sure I'll want to add some sort of Forced air induction to the Miata (if thats my final decision). Anyone have any opinions? I've read about the Jackson Racing/Sebring supercharger and it has sparked my interest.

I've got my eye on a Limited Edition but I still can't make up my mind.... Its the only one at my local dealer. Also considering the Miata LS with sport suspension package. On the list of Z3's, I'm mainly refering to the 2.3 roadsters.

Thanks for any replies.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    To get ABS you have to start off with a Miata LS, so you are automatically talking leather. Or leatherette, whatever it is.

Took my wife to the Mazda dealer today and finally got her to testdrive one. She really likes it... I hadn't driven an M2 and it seems like the engine is quite a bit gutsier than before. Either that or since my current car isn't all that fast my standards have lowered. ;)

We are currently looking for a base Miata (didn't think much of the leather or the price tag) with the appearance and sport packages, if we decide to get one.

-Colin
  • ffisherncffishernc Member Posts: 3
    I too intended to buy a Z3 when I went looking for a roadster. At that time the Z3 was available in 4cyl or 6. I drove both; the 4 cyl was way underpowered and the 6 cyl seemed awful heavy for what I wanted. I ended up buying a 97M Miata and have congratulated myself for the right decision each time I drive it.

I have 2 friends that have Z3s and both just love them. To each his own!

Flip
    obviously, the choice is subjective (and monetary) so there isn't much to add. Miata magazine did a pretty thorough job of analyzing the two in terms of performance. Styling: those who don't like the Miata call it "cute." those who don't like the BMW think it's ugly with all the unnecessary add-ons and that the style is actually two cars, one in front and the other behind. I've heard nothing really substantive against either one.

More to the point: before you add any forced induction to anything, I'd drive it for a few months and get used to it to see if you really want the additions -- may seem like a silly statement at face value but a) each of these cars are pretty much designed to optimize performance and reliability b) forced induction will void your warranty c) what are you going to use it for?

That said: if you're still interested be sure to also check out the turbo packages offered for the Miata at Dealer Alternative (reach them through www.miata.net)

I'd be interested to hear what you decide, either way!

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • zacktheboyzacktheboy Member Posts: 4
    Have just purchased the Special Editon Miata. I too was looking at the Z3 and Audi TT roadster yet found myself coming back to the Miata. I too agree that the Z3 and TT are very special vehicles yet when I began to allow common sense to enter into the decision the Miata won hands down. Simply stated...the Miata offers, for almost 24K less, eveything the "average" sports car consumer wants...alittle wind in the hair, alttle fun, and the ability to take some twisty roads with the intent of returning home that evening in one piece. I believe that I read an article that stated the average purchaser of the Z3/TT roadster will "never" race these vehicles nor will they ever use 50% of what these vehicles are capable of producing. Yet, the consumer who elects to purchase the Miata will beable to enjoy 60-70% of what this vehicle is capable of producing.
    With the above in mind I opted for the Special Addition Miata. Not only is it a real value but is, I believe, one of the finest looking rides available in today's market!
    Good luck on your decision and............drive safe!
  • ambpareambpare Member Posts: 2
    Justin,
    I assume by Nova you mean Northern Virginia, and if your dealer told you no miatas were available with abs this likely isn't correct. My wife and I just purchased a 2000 LS with abs at Brown's in Fairfax. As of 4/23 at 2400, there is one listed on the website for the Brown's dealership at Alexandria. I would recommend you check the website and call Steve Dockery at the Fairfax store and see if he can get you one to test drive as their prices were lower, about $200 over what Edmunds listed as invoice. This does include a $1000 rebate. I suspect this may not be the best deal, but we were impressed enough to drive 2 hours from Western MD to make the purchase. I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but this was about the most painless car purchase we have made to date.
    I suspect the confusion may have resulted from the problem that apparently few base models are available with ABS. Good Luck
    Zacktheboy, Congrats on your purchase.... I'm jealous.... only for a short time.... I'm going to try and find a Special edition if not.... a fully loaded LS. After lots and lots of discussion on the Z3 y2k board and good input, I think I've made a choice. (WarpDrive had a really good post there) I think the Miata provides the best value and a good "back to basics" pure sports car. Its truely a drivers car. I'm still impressed and like the Z3's but I just don't think they are worth it not do they provide the feel I'm looking for. I came away from the Auto show today feeling that I should either choose the Miata or go all out and get the M-roadster. Any of the middle line Z3's just don't seem to be worth it. After being yanked back into reality, my 40k limit still stands and the Miata is still a clear choice. A good plus is that I'm spending a whole lot less than I expected and I could have other fun with the money saved.

Thanks for everyones input and cya on the road.
    I like the color of the Special Edition... although Mahogany Mica doesn't describe it very well. I'd say it's more of a deep rose. Assuming the dealer didn't tack on markup, it could be a good value versus a loaded LS.

My wife and I should take delivery on a new base miata Wednesday. I was surprised at how much she enjoyed driving this car during the test drives-- I have to drag her to an autocross and she's never driven at one. But I am glad to see her old Mustang off and they gave us a surprisingly good trade in for it.

It's black and the only option is the sport package. Now that's a driver's car. ;) Cheap too. We couldn't justify $27k for a Miata. I wanted to consider used but the wife unit doesn't like used cars and loves the M2 body style...

-Colin
    Perhaps this is just limited to my area, but my wife and I were very surprised at the lack of inventory on the Miata. How is it for everyone else?

Our dealer had just one 2000, which we test drove. Buying it was out of the question since it was an Evolution Orange LS. My apologies to owners who I'm about to offend, but that color is just plain wrong.

-Colin
  • atomicelbowatomicelbow Member Posts: 2
    As a former BMW owner I thought it blasphemous to buy a roadster other than the Z3, until I looked more rationally at it. Yes the Z3 is a fabulous car, the engine options are fantastic, the sound of the BMW straight 6 is pure delight to me at least. But what got me thinking about the Miata was my GF saying you could get just as much enjoyment out of the Miata and save a good deal of money for the house I want you to buy us in a few years. :o)
    It is true, and since the Miata is a weekend car for us, we don't need all the bells and whistles. Another thing that really sold me is the glass rear window. Come on the, Z3, Boxster, and the S2000 all have plastic rear windows. That was almost enough to sell me. No, the Miata is not the fastest car on the road, but almost without exception someone is always faster than you. It came down to enjoyment, and I realized I would enjoy myself a great deal in a Miata, maybe more so in a Z3 with the bigger engine, but there is always a place to go for a future roadster, after all, this one is my first. All I know is every time I look at my Miata, I get a big grin, not too mention the fun of running through the gearbox.

(I hope this didn't offend any BMW fans or Miataphiles, just my opinions.)

-loving my dark green '00 Miata
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    I did not try Brown's of Fairfax. Only tried Rosenthal in Tysons and Arlington. I have heard that any Rosenthal dealer is NOT the way to go anyway....

I am considering holding out until I can find the ultimate one for me - dark blue - tan leather. Without the added ground effects. I don't mind the larger wheels/tires, but I do not like the body kits stuff that comes on the "hotter" Miatas. It detracts from the classiness of the shape. That is another problem inventory wise - a lot of the Miatas are coming in the more performance looking form, and I would rather not have that. I think the Miata is SOOOO attractive, especially when compared to the MR2 Spyder. The Miata will look great for decades to come..like an old James Bond movie car. But the added spoilers and body work takes away from the simple lines.....if you see the dark blue/tan top leather with/out the sporty body stuff, that will be me!!

Thanks again. I have a feeling I will be waiting awhile....
    Why do the carmakers tack on these appendages? They're ugly, ugly, ugly. Looks like an abortion....
    $$$$$$$$$$. Why should the aftermarket guys get all the money? As original equipment, Mazda can get twice what the aftermarket guys get for the add ons. Plus, they can attract some of the potential buyers who think the basic car is too "cute" or "feminine". At least they left you the option to get a clean car.
    That's ok, I'd rather the appearance of my car to be michelle pfeiffer (sp) than boy george...
  • ambpareambpare Member Posts: 2
    D'oh! I did miswrite about abs...as the real miataphiles reading know (I'm new to this) no base models are available with abs, you'll unfortunately have to move up to the LS with appendages. We ended up at that level because we also wanted the torsen lsd which is the option that is rare at the base level. I would prefer not to have the "ground effects" present, and no rear spoilers need apply, but this can be pretty easily overlooked when you see the emerald mica finish with the tan leather interior and get behind the wheel.....
    Roger that on the base + suspension package (which includes the torsen diff)... Our dealer's search of Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Illinois and Arkansas yielded ONE white and ONE black with that option. And only that option, lucky for us.

My wife would have preferred ABS for autocross and driving schools, but we'll make do. :)

-Colin
    locke2c, tell your wife she'll be steering with the throttle every chance she gets -- no need for brakes:)

I'm so glad other people feel the way I do about the glass add-ons. Miata Magazine once did a series of columns by Tom Matano, the design engineer who headed up the Miata project team. Their goal, he claimed (in my words & from memory) was to design a shape where all of the lines flowed naturally (and reduce drag effectively) into one another. They also wanted to pay homage to the great roadster shapes of the past, but the "organic" unity of the lines and curves of the car was the primary intent. They succeeded in that. Sometimes I guess I can grudgingly admit that I see what people mean when they say it looks "cute" but there are other times when the lines, like those of some Jaguars, are just plain beautiful.

I don't know if it's true for the M2 or not, but on the M1 there was no surface where you could get a drop of water to stay without running off!

the car is cheap, flexible in its design, and is so simple in its form and execution that it tolerates people messing with it better than most performance cars will. It's an odd contradiction. On the one hand, it is a nearly perfect example of a simple, efficient design; on the other hand, it invites owners to mess with it.

Both the M1 and M2 have a big aftermarket contingent of suppliers who allow you to individualize your Miata (a good thing), but too often owners do it with the notion that they will be "improving" the car (a silly thing). So they add performance stuff that makes the car perform differently, but not necessarily -- and not often -- better. (We probably all have a story of a guy with a supercharger who gets beaten by a stock at the AutoX.) And they add ground effects and spoilers and all kinds of c--p so their car ends up looking like a fine quarterhorse in a clown suit. M1 or M2, the design is always fresh, always clean, never brags or shows off.

With no intent to disrespect anyone, the extra bulges and add-ons are one of the things I've never liked about the Z-3. Underneath, it's a great car -- like the Miata -- but who needs the attitude? What's with those things on the front fenders? Why doesn't the back go with the front? What's with the bulges everywhere? How could the company that designed the 3 and 5 series, and the Z-8, let something like that out to play with the Miata, and the Boxster, and the S2000, and -- when you finally get to see one -- even the MR2 (much better in reality than in pix).

Take care.
    Joe W.
    looks much less 'cute'. it is just beautiful. Maybe now folks will consider it grown up.

I was smitten by the Z3 when it first appeared. It's more of a retro design than the miata. The miata to me has always been unique. Mazda may lack in some areas but they have some of the world's best designers.
  • thiefthief Member Posts: 9
    My thanks to ALL (note emphasis)on the floor mat suggestions-and,to be sure,throwing out the existing ones when they are finally trashed,is an option,however,as I said,they are cream colored-actually elegant-and it won't take long for them to get ruined up here. I think I may try the clear plastic mat suggestion. Once again,thanks to ALL.
  • clabarbeclabarbe Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to get the driver (cone) out of the plastic housing of a stock headrest speaker? I took off the 4 screws, but no dice. Should I pry?

Yeah, I know this post is off the usual (rebate/floormat/BMW Z3) topic list.

Thanks,
    charlie
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    I like the miata's styling because it is a sleeper. No it isn't very fast, but it's styling has always hidden the great car underneath. It says "I like to have fun" not "My car is better then yours". When I said I really want a Miata my girlfriend couldn't figure out why, because it is boring looking and not very fast. She thinks I should get the Mustang convertable, even if it is the V6! some people will never understand...

I like aggressive looking cars, I love the Z3, but only when the performance can match the look., The 4cyl Z3, or the V6 Mustang are two examples of looks that outdo the car.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, you take the Miata and the Mustang V6 showroom stock out on a real twisty road with lots of dips and bumps and curves and then decide which car is "fastest". The Mustang driver will have to white knuckle it all the way while you adjust your stereo.

Remember how Jaguar won Lemans in 1953? It was by no means the most powerful car on the track, but under each wheel was a disc brake caliper, a nicely balanced chassis and a decent suspension.

I think the reason why some people do not appreciate the Miata for what it is, is that some people drive them as if they were a Mustang...they want low end grunt and they won't punch the engine to kick the rear end out or stab the brakes to put the car on a different line in the middle of a tight fast turn (the Mustang probably wouldn't respond well to the maneuver anyway unless it was a Cobra with IRS). Some folks really did buy the wrong car for them and are thus disappointed. As you say, trying to make a Miata into a Mustang makes one wonder why they didn't buy the Mustang in the first place and make themselves happier for probably less money.
    Anyone know of source for color information besides Miata.net. A dealer just called me and said they had a beautiful, dark green (BRG) 1996 Miata. According to miata.net, Mazda didn't make Miatas in green of any sort in 1996. I'd just like to confirm with another source.
  • evorangedaveevorangedave Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to let everyone know that despite the somewhat bad press about this color; I purchased one anyway. I went in to the dealership fully expecting to lease it, but after seeing the color, I decided to purchase instead.

A few things set this one apart though. It is the base Miate with the black top. Has the appearance package, AC, Fog Lamps, and the windblocker. What really makes the difference though is that it also has 16" Miglia chrome 5-spoke wheels, and aftermarket black leather seats with a custom script "Miata" embroidery with thread that matches the body color.

I've had it about a month, (1200 miles), just came back from a day trip to the Oregon Coast and the only thing I wish it had is cruise control.

I was a little worried about the stock sound system, but it kicks just fine as long as you are using the cd player.

Love MY MIATA! Would reccomend it to anyone. My final cost was $21,060.

Portland, OR.
  • thiefthief Member Posts: 9
    Having just purchased a Miata Special Edition for my wife,it is our intent to use this car VERY sparingly during next winter here in Vermont. Rather than "pickle"the car for the winter(which causes more problems than it's worth)we'd,instead, like to take it out every 7-10 days when the roads are in good shape. I am seeking any suggestions for preparing the car for this eventuallity. Specifically,wheels,tires,etc. Please bear in mind the Special Edition has the chrome wheels and wider tires. Thanks for the help.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    Here are some things you can do as preventative maintenance for your special edition (2000SE) for the winter months.

- Change your oil before the winter. Dirty oil sitting around in your engine is full of acidic (and otherwise bad) byproducts. Since you are driving it sparingly, you want clean oil to last you through the winter. Consider synthetics which tend to break down less faster and provide faster lubrication upon startup.
    - You may want a battery maintainer which gives your battery a trickle charge. The Miata battery is requires a bit more TLC and letting it sit drain continually while it sitting around may cause problems down the road. Go to the Miata.net/marketplace (here's one I found http://www.TeamMiata.com/TM422.htm)
    - The Michelin Pilot tires are very slick on COLD roads. I learned that the hard way. Either drive very carefully or invest in some different tires. Unfortunately in this size, you are likely only going to find high performance tires which get too hard in the cold. I'd consider some all seasons M&S rated mounted on 14 inch steel rims.
    - Putting some gas additives such as gas line antifreeze is a good idea.
    I have a 96 brochure, but it's at home. Sorry. If you'll give me a "heads up" at jwilson1@net1plus.com, I'll be glad to look the color chart up for you.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • gcosta1gcosta1 Member Posts: 3
    I have been an avid Miata fan for some time and finally decided to take the plunge. I have found a 99 Base model loaded with options, AC Power windows CD player all body moldings Cruise, etc. No leather seats. 12 K miles dark green spotless. I am buying from a private party and have the price down to low 17's. Is this a good deal?
    Have you checked your local dealers for prices on brand new ones? My local dealer has three, brand new 2000 models with PW, PL, CD, AC, CC, and windblocker advertised for $17,880. I don't think the used car market realizes how deeply discounted the new ones are.
    What???

That's an awesome price dgraves! We gave about $19k for a base Miata with sport package ($22.5k retail). Then again PL & CC means it's probably a base with no sport package (they're exclusive)... or a REALLY discounted LS.

People are still snatching up 10AE's for <20k all over the country too. There weren't any around my area though, and my wife is happy with what she got.

-Colin
    17,880, Thats at least 1k under list, what part of the country have you found these prices. I have not been able to beat list anywhere. Also, what is a 10AE? Thanks for your help.

greg
    Yes, they are base models with the "Convenience group" which I think includes the PW, PL, CC and windblocker. They are also silver(2) and black(1) which I suspect are not the most popular colors. Also includes $400 "College Graduate Rebate". Several other dealers are advertising similarly equipped cars for high $17K/low $18K. My point is I wouldn't buy a used 1999 model until I thoroughly checked out what you can get a new one for.
    I'm in South Orange County, California.
    Thanks for your info, I am heading to a new
    dealer as we speak to see what I can find. I agree with looking for a new one, but this seemed like a good deal, well taken care of, all the options I wanted etc, but for under 1k more for a nerw one makes sense.
    My wife's base with sport package only came with a no-cost option called "enhanced basic equipment". This included fog lights, cd player (no tape) and windblocker. Perhaps this is a mid-model change that is going to be standard equipment from here on out... our dealer didn't expect it to be there, but it was. (They traded with another dealer to get it.)

-Colin
  • newmiatadrivernewmiatadriver Member Posts: 1
    Hi all!

I'm a long-time fan of Miata's, but haven't owned one yet and I need advice. I'm looking at a '93 Miata in really sweet shape and with 45,000 miles on it - anything quirky I should know about this model year? Also, it's only fault is ... it's an automatic (I know I know! But it's in great shape!). How do the automatics perform compared to the sticks? Any thoughts on how much of a difference I'll notice?
    I would strongly, emphatically, loudly recommend that you not get an automatic Miata unless you really want an automatic Miata. Do not compromise on this aspect. I think you will really regret it every time you get in the car. It takes away too much from the car. There are plenty of good, clean used Miatas out there. Take a little time and you'll find a good one with the right transmission.
    The forgoing assumes that you like the Miata because it is a great sports car that's a lot of fun to drive. If you just want a cute, reliable car that you can put the top down on then maybe it won't matter.
  • zaqzaq Member Posts: 19
    I would never recomend an automatic miata to anyone capable of operating a manual transmission. And that would even include people who don't know how to drive manual transmissions either.

Wait for a manual, you'll be a happier person.

As for performance, over 1 second in the 0-60 is lost in an automatic, running somewhere in the very high 9's. You'll notice the lack as soon as you jump in a standard one.
    On most cars the factory cruise can be added. Sadly the connections aren't there for the Miata so you have to go aftermarket.

-Colin
    Aftermarket cruise controls are also not difficult to install. Did a lot of traveling in my Jeep YJ during college and installed one in it in 4 hours. I think I got the kit for about 90 bucks at some autostore. If the car is a manual (like mine), then the cruise control will only be usable on relatively flat roads (in other words, CC can't shift for you).