Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• bill69bill69 Member Posts: 3
    Regarding the gas. What model year Sienna are you talking about? Does the Sienna owner's manual actually state the van 'requires' regular unleaded?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Regarding fuel requirements for Sienna:

The following is from Toyota's Website. It list the minimum octane requirements for all Toyota vehicles. The Sienna minimum octane requirement is 87. It also indicates that "for improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended."

This applies to every V6 and V8 that Toyota offers.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=j63nmhSh&p_lva- =&p_faqid=5195&p_created=1120236647&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjA3JnBfc- GFnZT0xMA**&p_li=
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Regular unleaded in Rocky Mountain area is 85 octane. Most of the USA unleaded regular is 87 octane. Stations in California where I refuel has premium 92 octane.
    My friend has been using 85 octane in the Salt Lake City area ( elevation 4300 feet above sea level) in his 2006 Sienna since he bought it and has not noticed any engine knock.
  • 7kidsintow7kidsintow Member Posts: 3
    A new Odyssey or Sienna is in our very near future. I was hoping to get a bit of "driver insight" from those already there. I have kids to get in and out of the vehicle, from both 2nd and 3rd rows. We are looking at the 8 seat models. EX (EX-L) or LE. Thanks!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Honestly, I think many will agree that these vans are the two most outstanding vehicles in their field. In many magazine tests, the Honda and Toyota vans are the top two, the Honda winning the last one that I saw.

To help ou decide, go drive them. A lot. They have bery different characteristics behind the wheel.

Odyssey: More horsepower, sportier steering with good feel, more controlled (yet slightly firmer) ride, high build quality, an outstanding number of safety feaures standard

Sienna: Comparable mileage with still-adrequate horsepower, VERY smooth ride, slightly disconnected feeling steering (but this is a van remember), even better build quality,many option packages to choose from (can be good, can be bad because you cant find some things without the other)

The ultimate decision has to be with how you like the driving characteristics of each. One is more luxury (sienna), one is more sport (odyssey), yet, on paper, the two are very similar.

Just drive the vans, pick a preference, and pick a dealer you are happy with.

P.S. I didn't bring up reliability because both marques have stellar reputations for being long-lasting, low cost of operation vehicles.
  • toyo_van_ownertoyo_van_owner Member Posts: 31
    I have had the 2006 Sienna LE 8 passenger, package 2 for almost 3 weeks. I also debated between the same vans you are. We do a lot of car pooling. Here's how its going so far:

1. Eight year old had trouble flipping up the second row bucket, to get out from the third row. It was easier for her to flip the seat back down and crawl out.

2. Because I carry only 5 kids most days, we usually leave out the right bucket to make it easier for the girls to get out of the third row.

3. We left in the smaller sliding seat in the second row, because my 5 year old (in a booster) likes it to be all the was forward. He feels like he can see where we're going, plus he can reach the cup holders between the front two seats. he also enjoys ready the details on the computer display, and tells us the MPG and direction EVERY TIME EITHER ONE CHANGES! (Who needs a DVD player to keep the kids busy. ;) )

4. The 6 disc and MP3 player is great. If you get the Honda, I would suggest adding this. We now have a huge music library loaded that is guaranteed to keep everyone happy and singing. A lot of radio these days is not kid friendly. I also like the stereo controls on the steering wheel.

5. The duel zone air conditioner is only so-so. I think Honda might have a better one - more options? No sure, thought.

6. Mine only has one power door. Some days I wish I had three (two sliders, and back), some days I wish I had none. It all depends on what I am trying to do. It is a bit slow to open and close, for safety reasons. So after the last kid gets out at school, I have to wait for it to close before i can drive off. However, my kids have trouble closing the non-power slider all the way.

7. I find the driving to feel soft compared to my last car (Volvo sedan) but still very responsive. The pick-up and go is ok, but again, not the same as my last car.

Good luck in your search.
    Very different. The 2004 Sienna LE outperformed the 2006 Odyssey EX in my back to back test drive which greatly surprized me until I saw how much heavier the Ody EX is. The Sienna engine/transmission felt much more responsive than the Odyssey.
    I prefer Ody EX 8 passenger configuration to Sienna LE 8 passenger since the middle row seats of Sienna LE - 8 have NO armrests. You can NOT use the 2nd row armrests of the Ody EX if anyone is sitting on the 8th seat since the middle seat of the Sienna LE 8 passenger is a legitimate seat while the Ody EX middle seat is just a comfortable, extra padded armrest between the 2 seats.
    Ody EX has 2 power sliding doors, cast wheels, and separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger while the Sienna has only 1 power sliding door, hubcaps, and one temp for driver and front passenger. The Sienna LE also has standard 6 CD in dash with MP3 player and complete overhead console with compass and outside temperature and trip computer if they are important. I think the Sienna interior is much nicer appearing than the Odyssey...while neither exterior styling appeals to me as much as my 4 year old T&C LX.
    Toyota dealers are more willing to negotiate in my area than are Odyssey. I like both but at this moment, the Sienna LE would be more desireable for me since it costs about $ 2,500 less.
    I had read about sludge problems with Sienna engines about 2 or 3 years ago but read here in Town Hall that the Odyssey still has transmission problems. :blush:
    IF you have 7 kids, neither the Ody or Sienna will have seat belts for 7 kids...unless you count your spouse as one of those 7. ;)
    If you regularly take 7 people plus yourself, the Sienna CE or LE 8 passenger has legitimate seats for 8 while the 8th seat of the Ody EX is for short distances only even though there are seat belts in the Ody EX for 8 people.
    If you regularly take 6 people plus yourself, the Ody EX would be the better choice as with Sienna you buy either the 8 passenger with no armrests for outboard middle row seats or 7 passenger with armrests. The Ody EX has no armrests to use if 2nd row is seating 3 people but will have armrests if you remove that small, additional middle seat. The Ody would be best if you occasionally need seating for 8 but normally take only 7 or less since it still gives you the choice of 8.
    No, I didn't count Hubby in there, he's not :confuse: enough to come in the van with me with all those kids. ;) We actually only have 3 kids, but they multiply for the drive to school, and on occasion the 8 may be necessary.

We have been unable to locate an 06 Sienna to test drive. The only one around is a used 04. We have one child in a car seat, the 30% forward slide capability of the Sienna middle seat is appealing. It could provide separation enough for the other two if we needed to load the back for travelling. It looks like the Sienna 3rd row seat is lacking in leg room when compared to the Ody.

The nearest Ody is about 2 hours away--but they do have 4 models 3 EX-L and one EX. The middle row measured wider in the Ody which is a good thing even with that funky middle "seat". The change to cap't chairs is a good thing. We are going to test drive this weekend. Fuel economy seems to be a beef with the Ody consumer rating. Is it really that bad? I read 40% difference with the actual real life test vs what it is rated at. Would that be best conditions, worst conditions?

If only a test drive could last a week...:blush:
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I have owned an '06 EX-L for the past two weeks and 570 miles. I checked fuel economy for the first time last night. I got 21 mpg on that fill up. I had traded an '03 Olds Silhouette which was getting an average of 22 mpg according to its inaccurate computer. I used a real calculator to figure the Honda mpg. Oh, I did not get 570 miles out of a tank of gas so do not get excited! :)
    Not sure where you read a 40% difference from EPA numbers...On a trip to Orlando (900 miles round) in my aunt's 2005 Odyssey (cloth, no VCM) we averaged 24-25 mpg with cruise set on 75. While tooling around Orlando we got 19mpg on the nose. This is basically what the EPA numbers list (19/25). Again, I know I'm just another report, but base your answer on more than one opinion. OUr 2000 Odyssey EX averages 18-21mpg living in metro Birmingham and driving mostly trafficky roads. On trips we can manage 26-27mpg with a light foot (speed limit). Hope this helps you!

Remember, EPA numbers are completely possible to achieve, just not while peeling out from that red light and flooring it up every on ramp.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Have '06 Ody EX-L. Get 21-23 MPG on freeway/suburban trips. Got 25.5 on 3200 mile trip. Our '04 Ody EX got similar MPG.
  • sasas1sasas1 Member Posts: 11
    :cry: I have the 2004 Sienna LE. The interior space is great. However, if you have young children, you are likely to run into the same problem I have. My Grand Voyager (96) had a battery saver feature so that if the lights were in the "door" position, the lights would go off after a certain amount of time if a door was left open. Well, I had my Sienna for just a few days when the inevitable happened. Someone left the door ajar slightly. We woke up to a DEAD battery. So much for making our doctor's appointment.

The service or 800 rep told me that "yes, you need to be a door police!" How about that? A mini-van designed for families. Just what you need - another job and worry. I bought a new minivan because I didn't want to worry about being stranded. Well, it hasn't worked out that way.

It's a long story but bottom-line my daughter recently ended up having to get a ride from her piano teacher to school. She had no breakfast or lunch and had to take standardized testing that day. That's not the kind of stress anybody needs. I am in the market for a mini-van that has a battery saver feature. And the Odessey has it.

A Battery Saver feature may sound small but it can have a huge impact on your family. I am sorry to post about this again but I can not believe Toyota still hasn't listened to their consumers. They had many complaints when the '04 came out. I know because I had several conversations with the 800- reps. They had engineers working to find a solution to the '04 problem since there were enough complaints. And they still haven't done anything about it for the '06 model!

I was a loyal Toyota owner. I can't believe I'm going to buy a Honda! And that I'm looking to buy any new car after only 2 years!
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    sasas1: Look for a gadget called a battery minder. It is a small, easily installed module that sits between the main positive battery cable and the rest of the car and monitors battery drain. It will shut off the drain caused by lights etc when the voltage reaches a preset point, or time (depending on the model/options). If it trips, there is a reset button that will enable you to start the car easily. Some models have a auto return feature so all you have to do is step on the brake pedal to reconect the battery back, with enough juice to restart. Most models are in the 40-80 dollar range, and easily installed.

Of course, you may still use the lack of this feature to get a new car anyways!

PS: Here is one example:

http://www.batterystuff.com/productdisplay.html?id=400&c=126&f=Priority_Start_12_Volt_Pro_- - - X-SP_switch
    Wow! THANKS! It would save me a fair amount of money!!

This makes it even more amazing that Toyota hasn't been able to fix it. Makes you wonder! I am really thinking twice about their reputation.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
  • boodadboodad Member Posts: 31
    The battery switch I use is Priority Start. Has saved me twice already in 4 months ownership of my XLE. It sure is cheaper than buying an Ody ;)
    You know, I was just thinking - Toyota should buy them for all owners since they haven't been able to fix it!

Thanks for the info!
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    7 (OMGosh, too many kids),

It is possible to get EPA figs as I can do it readily with our VCM Ody Touring in flat NW FL sans traffic lights, 20/28 if I don't use cruise control. Instead you have to hold the pedal steady regardless of minor ups&downs as the cruise isn't fuel prudent, tries too hard to hold speed while sacrificing economy. Folks should think of their gas foot as a brick that holds the pedal steady at speed to maximize economy. The non-VCM Ody and Sienna may not benefit as much from this strategy. If you prefer to use cruise or drive 'surgy' like my wife then don't expect any benefit from a VCM engine, go with a Toyo as the anemic (kidding folks) engine won't guzzle like the zoomy Honda (flames impending).

I commend you for getting that MPG is hilly Birmingham but bet it wasn't achieved on any road with Cahaba as part of the name --wink.
    How about a current sensor that activates a recorded message in the remote when you lock the vehicle and leave something running? It might say, "Check vehicle, battery draining." or "Yo driver, yous killen' da battery fool!" Some things should remain powered as you could tell the non-techies very easily as their clocks would be flashing 12:00 (unless they have Navi systems). Toyota and others offer roadside assistance in case the fictitious Latin term 'Totus Unum Jumpus Cabialus' isn't in your vocabulary.
    Does the Priority Start void the Factory Warranty? :confuse:
  • boodadboodad Member Posts: 31
    Good question. I don't see why it would because it is just an electrical switch, nothing more. But again, I'm not totally sure.

BTW, it saved me again just 2 hours ago. I left the radio on for about 15-20 minutes with the engine off waiting for somebody and the Priority Start kicked off my radio.
  • 05ody05ody Member Posts: 103
    I dont know about the Sienna, but with my 2005 Odyssey AND 1998 Accord if the door isnt completlly shut, the doors will not lock with the key pad. I always hit the botton twice on both of my cars to make sure they are locked, so If I dont hear the horn honk, I know there is a open door. Also they keyless entry is a good thing to not forget the keys in the car. My mother has done that many times because she never uses the keyless entry on her car, and only hits the "lock" botton on the inside of the door. She now always uses the keyless entry key pad!
    Thank you for that insider info...I bet it wouldn't be something I would have heard at the dealership! Lots of little fingers in my van make that a reality waiting to happen. If we decied on the Toyota, a parts store will be our first stop.

We will be going to the mainland this weekend to check out both vans. They actually have good supply of Siennas there, so we can make a decision based on which one we like best. They have a lot more competition on the mainland too, so hopefully that will help in price negotiations. I have never bought Toyota or Honda before and I understand there is generally not much give in price.

Hopefully the deal will be done before our kids run out of patience. :blush:
  • kthankthan Member Posts: 30
    I am thinking to buy either Sienna LE #4 or Odyssey EX-L. I know they might be comparable or not (someone compare between XLE #6 and EX-L). Here is my points of comparing between the two.

I can get Sienna LE #4 around ($24500..incluing incentive/rebate) and EX-L ($28000). But, I definitely need a leather, and that brings additional $1500 (for aftermarket leather by Classic Soft Trim) to LE (so total around $26000). I can go with XLE #6 but it costs around $29500-$30000 without sunroof and heated seat (I do know there are other features not available in EX-L). I did not test drive EX-L yet. But, I did LE today and liked it (I am a first time owner) especially, luxurious interior, smooth/quiet ride, roomy interior. I think EX-L have an edge in handling and braking. Also, it does have other features (mooroof, automatic temp control, sunshade, dual power door, etc.). But, I really missed mps and external Aux in LE.

Given the prices and features I liked, which one would you buy? Is it worth to put $2000 more for EX-L? I hope I can get your valuable inputs for the decision. Thanks.
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    Does these prices inculde destination charge? Is there any incentive on Sienna's?

And let me throw couple of other into consideration...if you don't care about power sliding doors (which I'm not crazy about).... why would not consider CE Pkg #2 or Ody LX? Both have all the stability features line VSC/Traction Control....

Someone here could shed some light on it....
    The above prices include destination charges. For Sienna, there is factory rebate in NY and MI region now for 06. It will become available in ohter regions soon (Nov or Dec).

I personally do not want to go to least popular models (CE & LX).

Everyone has their own personal preference in selecting the van between Sienna and Odyssey. But, the price and option would be the another decisive factor to choose either one.
    Sienna Rebate? Could it be due to serious competition from Honda? Watching this particular forum and formulating a comparible Touring R&N with a big T on the front hurts my head. Sure glad I already have an H on mine in the driveway. My point is that Toyota needs to simplify packages, limit choices, or something to make it easier to build and find them all.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Well, after much debate my wife and I finally decided on which minivan to purchase
    between the Odyssey and Sienna.  Unfortunately the new KIA was not available, so
    it was not part of the equation.

Here is how I perceived the relative advantages of each model.

Odyssey advantages.

More flexible seating. For our family the 7+1 seating would be real nice. To get 8 passenger seating in the Sienna you need to sacrafice the comfort of two of the middle row seats.

More seating room in third row.

Slightly more comfortable middle row seats (more toe room)

Sienna advantages.

Better discounts. The Sienna is helped by being a year older.

Tighter turning radius. Usefull in town.

Trip computer availavle on most models. A fun and usefull feature.

Slightly more reliable (according to CR)

More cargo room behind third row.

Neither has an advantage.

Ride and Handling - I know some prefer the ride of the Sienna and the
    handling of the Odyssey, but as far as I am concerned they both ride well.
    Neither has sporty handling, but they both do well for their size.

Acceleration – The Odyssey has more power, but it weighs more.

Fuel economy – The fancy VCM of the Odyssey helps on the highway, but does not make up for the larger engine and extra weight in the city.

Safety – They both do well in the tests and have all the features available. Honda has them standard, but you can get them on Toyota.

They were pretty evenly matched, so it came down to one simple thing. Price. To get the features we wanted on an Odyssey ment we had to get a lot of features we did not want. We wanted a DVD player, and the least expensive Odyssey so equipped was $3,000 more than a Sienna that had everything we wanted. The Odyssey did have leather and a sunroof, but we wanted neither.

So we go from a 2 Honda family to a 1 Honda and 1 Toyota family.
    Pure city mpg in deciding the car between Sienna and Odyssey is very important to me. This is for my wife who will mostly drive downtown area for kids transportation (mostly within 5-6 mile round-trip and a lot of stop & go). Most of the gas mileage reports I found compare either city/highway mixed or highway (not many pure city data). On paper, EX-L has an edge (20mpg in the city versus 19mpg in Sienna) as well as VCM. But, as the above post shown, a lot of people complain about poor mileage of EX-L (and touring)'s city mileage. Given my situation, I would say it satisfactory if I can get 17-18 mpg in pure city, average if 15-16 mpg, and below average under 15 mpg.

If anyone had similar road situation as mine and had mpg data, please share with me. if there is a noticeable difference in pure city mpg between the two vehicle, I have to consider it as a big factor to decide the right one for our family. Thank you for your help in advance.
  • anhleanhle Member Posts: 19
    Thank you, the men who answered my question about 8-seat model for Sienna AWD.

Today I went to Toyota Watertown, MA, trying for the first time to test drive a Sienna. However when the sales person heard that I would not not buy today, but in next 2 months, he did not let me have the test. He reasoned like "why don't you come back in couple of months, this model will change, blah". When I said the new model is not much different as I heard, he told me the truth "It's not fair if you test drive but not buy. Come back when you are going to buy. We all work for living...". The guy was not busy at the time, anyway.

Is that a policy at Toyota? Yesterday I had an Ody test drive at Honda Bernadi in Natick, also first time. I had no problem with the salesperson, after warning that I was not going to buy right away, but still saving money until we have the new child this January, I just want to to start looking early.

Where in Boston area can I have a "free" test drive for Sienna? Should I not go to dealership, but to an owner to test a used one?
  • 05ody05ody Member Posts: 103
    Well thats not right. You were honest with him and he acted like that! I would NEVER go back there! I mean we are talking about a minivan here not a sports car we are not going to go drive a minivan for the "fun" of it! ah well I guess soemtimes you gotta deal with people like that!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    The salesman is the low man on the totem pole. This particuar salesman probably won't be at that dealership in 2 months as turnover is quite high.

If you really want to test drive a Sienna call that dealership and ask to speak with the salesmanager or the G.M and explain your situation. I'm betting they ask you to come in for free hot dogs and cokes, and let you test drive one of their Siennas.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I test drove a used 2004 Sienna instead of a new one in July. I will NOT buy a new vehicle if it has more than 10 miles on the odometer. My friend's new Sienna had 6 miles on the odometer when we both looked and he bought it. ;)
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Next closest Toyota dealer is Boston Toyota(Herb Chambers) on Brighton Ave near Comm. Ave(Packard's Corner) in Brighton. Also be warned, others have complained about poor snow traction of tires on AWD and short tire life of about 20k miles.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    There have been complaints about the city mileage of both vehicles not meeting their estimates and I would encourage you to read anecdotal accounts on their respective ownership boards.

These are heavy vehicles and cannot reasonably be expected to yield great mileage. I drive too many freeway miles in my Touring to give you a solid city number. That said, I cannot imagine this vehicle getting better than 15 in heavy CITY (which I distinguish from suburban) traffic.

More generally, it seems unlikely to me that these two vehicles would vary by more than 1 mpg either way - this is such a small difference in operating cost that I, for one, certainly wouldn't give it much (if any) weight in a purchase decision.
  • lastarlastar Member Posts: 30
    "The above prices include destination charges. For Sienna, there is factory rebate in NY and MI region now for 06. It will become available in ohter regions soon (Nov or Dec)."

I live in Denver and it's not available here. How do you know it's definitely going to be available in other regions?
  • toyo_van_ownertoyo_van_owner Member Posts: 31
    That's funny - mine had 75 miles on it. But - I put 65 of them on myself during a long test drive. My salesman asked me to actually try it during a carpool pick-up to see how easy it was for different size/age kids to get in.
  • anhleanhle Member Posts: 19
    Thank you, guys.

Surely I don't need to test drive a vehicle, especially minivan, to check the "features". I want to check ride smoothness, noise, brake and traction during rain/snow. The guy at Honda said we could go back in December to test drive again to see how well it runs on slippery road. He told me he can not say anything about the price, it's his boss, but for EX-L base it can be around 28K.

The last time I tested-drive a Toyota was in Acton. Now I forgot the address, also it's far from us. They were nice then, allowing me to drive a Camry alone. They might have a couple of cars on the lot for "demo" purpose. I ended up buying a new Accord 2003, just because of the lower cost.

I like the Accord, but my wife complains that the ride is rough. She usually does not want to sit on the back with our daughter, because there she feels it's more bumpy and so get tired.

I have the same feeling about the Ody. That's why I want to check how much smoother the Sienna is to judge the price difference. For that I like to test any one of year 2004+ trim lines, new or used.

I don't blame much the salesman, because I heard they have to work very competitively. The statistics show that if a customer tests drive a car but turn away, it's like 90% chance that he won't come back. And then the saleman gets bad credit from his boss. That's why I told them ahead that I just start looking, with a test drive, but do not buy right away. Sadly this was the first time they rejected me -:).
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    Sounds like leather is a big consideration for you, so you want decent leather I'm sure. There is a fair amount of negative comment in this forum on the comparative quality of the Honda leather. See posts: #397 #656 #752 #907 #939 #1030 #1112 #1842 #2081 #2076
    I bought two cars at Watertown, but I now know I was lucky in that I had nice salesman who, by the way, is no longer there. Your not alone. I had a friend who went there for a Prius on my recommendation and she ran into the same "get lost" attitude as you did. As you can imagine this was kind of embarrassing for me. She subsequently bought her car at Wellesley Toyota. Also, while I was there once I saw some nasty bickering amongst the sales staff. It was a really unprofessional display. I wonder if the management has any idea of what goes on the sale floor.
    I'm appalled at this 'holier than thou' Toyota dealer’s attitude and could stand silent on the sidelines no more even though this forum is to compare vehicles, not dealers. Taking a test drive is a courtesy that should be extended to any customer past, present, or future. This nose-up attitude is more prevalent at our local Toyo dealer than Honda but both are guilty of I've got the cheese, you be the mouse come payday. That is the primary reason I negotiated via e-mail and just picked up our Ody out of town. What amazes me more is the reversal of this policy in the Euro-premium lines. Toyo, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW dealers all share the same owner & lot but have adjacent buildings in our town. While Sienna shopping I strolled over and was handed keys to a Bimmer and Benz even though I said I wasn't interested and they were beyond my budget. The Volvo dealer was also eager to let us have a car for the night when we were just browsing. Acura and Lexus dealers (one each) I visited were just like Toyota and Honda but dressed better, what a shame. I guess my point other than to rant is that dealers should remember that everyone is a potential customer and should be treated as the most important person in the world at that moment and could buy today if given respect. Skipping that essential step will sour most consumers and they'll likely look elsewhere. It had something to do with my T/H decision. Since this internet thing has caught on you no longer have to play these games as you can have a car at your door for a few bucks more or take a small trip to save a bundle.

On a side note, I wonder if the folks in larger cities flock to small towns like ours to get better deals, LOL?
    Out of curiousity, does anyone know what minimum age dealers allow young folks test-drive? I understand they keep a minimum for insurance reasons, but when I was 18, i went car shopping, but only my parents could drive the car. Our friend at our local dealer said in not so many words that what the dealer didn't know wouldn't hurt them as far as who drove. I test drove a Civic around a giant parking lot, but didn't take it out on the road.
  • slynn41072slynn41072 Member Posts: 7
    My husband and I have been looking at the Odyssey XLT w DVD and NAV and the Sienna Limited with DVD/ NAV. We are leaning heavily toward the Odyssey.
    We have 2 small kids (7 & 9). I love the dash in the Sienna, the park assist and adaptive cruise control features. What I don't like about the Sienna is that you can only access the DVD player from the rear. If my kids finish with a movie(long trips) they must or I must remove my seatbelt to change a DVD. In the Honda I have access to the controls up front, no need to remove my seatbelt. I also like the available 8th seat. I also like the in cabin storage in the Honda. Also with the Honda I don't need to go up to a Touring model. What I like about the Sienna is not enough to buy it over the Odyssey.
    Obviously this is a personal decision you and your family with have to make. There are good and bad points to both vehicles but you can't go wrong with either one. Just make sure you spend some quality time (hours) with both so there are fewer regrets later. FYI, there is no XLT trim model Odyssey as you said. I think you are talking about and EX-L which is an EX with Leather trim, the most popular Ody. You can have it with or without Nav and RES. The RES is a no brainer but paying that much more for Navi may not be worth it if you don't do much traveling. The Sienna packages are much more confusing but can offer perhaps the exact combination of features if you're lucky. I too dislike the idea of changing rows to swap DVD's in the Toyota. Happy hunting and let us know what you decide.
    I sent the sales manager at Watertown Toyota a copy of some the comments including my own just to see if they care one way or the other. Naturally I got the "thanks for interest" computer generated response and nothing else. I guess they really don't care if I send them business or not.
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    What option is RES for ODY?

Thanks,
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    RES stands for Rear Entertainment System AKA DVD Player.
  • slynn41072slynn41072 Member Posts: 7
    We have decided to go with the Odyssey EX-L RES/NAV. We got a quote for 32773 for this model. The Toyota dealer wanted 37100 for the Limited Sienna. The only added features that the Sienna had that I was interested in was parking assist, memory seats and power liftgate (which was very slow opening and closing IMO). On a long trip I can't get past the problem with the location of the DVD player. Even if I could a 4000 dollar difference in price between the 2 vans makes my decision easy. I do like the interior better in the Sienna, but again not 4000 dollars better. The eighth seat in the Honda is a added plus. Maybe Sienna will get it together in 2007 with the DVD player and offering a eighth seat, but I can't wait. I also felt the Nav system in the Honda was more user friendly (we just moved to a new area, so I have no idea where I'm going)
    slynn41072 (sounds like an interesting TV series),

I hope you don't mind a little more help/suggestions if it's not too late? You were seriously considering a Sienna at $37,100 but opted for an Ody EX-L R&N, that'll work. Just realize that for the same price as the Toyo you could shop hard and get a Touring with Nav, (all Tourings have the RES) but you'd only have seating for seven. There is much more to a Touring than a power hatch and losing a seat besides paying $4K (+/-) more, suggest you check it out thouroughly before you sign the papers. You get AC power in the third row for a gaming system PC charger or whatever, PAX runflat tires, a nifty MID (compass, temp, miles to empty, instant & avg MPG, auto elapsed time from start, door lock, wiper settings, etc.), seat & pedal memory, a proximity warning system front & rear that works well, back-up cam, and a bunch of other things you can view best on Honda's site on a page that highlights Touring unique features. FYI, the right second row seat can easily be moved near the center if you pop out the console to allow even easier third row entry, not sure if the EX-L does that.

You probably think I'm trying to sell you something but I'm not. No, I don't work for any car dealer or manufacturer. What I'm trying to do is make sure you feel out all options and are satisfied you made the best pro-edumacated choice going in. I've seen a many folks (three in the last two months) in EX-L's wishing they went for the Touring, mostly because of features they thought they had or wanted badly (like power rear hatch). Any of these is a fine choice don't get me wrong, just hate to see you here posting regrets later if you're currently 'rationalizing' down to the EX-L if the higher trim level better fits your needs and is still in your budget. I started looking at an EX-L but moved to a Touring because of the total package & amenities.

Maybe Honda will get it together in 2007 and allow a 'drop-in' seat from the EX perhaps as an add-on option. There is another internet place I can't mention that confirmed there is no easy way to morph a Touring into securing eight people unless #8 uses the lazy susan --wheeee!

I'm sure Toyota isn't marking time either in this yuppies game of one upmanship.

As they say in New Orleans...say levee!