Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• slynn41072slynn41072 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the suggestion about the Odyssey Touring. We did look at this model, but I heard not so good things about the run flat tires (need to be replaced after about 15,000 - 19,000 miles and are also alot more expensive than regular tires). Since I am the one mostly driving memory driving seat and pedals are nice features but something that I will not use on a day to day basis. Power rear hatch is a nice feature but I don't have it now on my Lexus RX300 and I never found myself saying I wish I did. Backup cam is on the EX-L as part of the Nav system. I have research my decision on all options and feel that the EX-L with RES/NAV has enough features for the every day driving to and from school, gym, shopping and the sometime long trips out of state. Getting a minivan is not my first choice in a vehicle, but it is something I need at this point. Giving up my Lexus is going to be hard because I love it. Thanks for your input.
  • lastarlastar Member Posts: 30
    After driving both a few times at the dealerships, I bought a 2006 Sienna LE FWD 2 days ago.
    Smoother ride, more comfortable & sound system is far superior.
    After all is said and done, these are the reasons we either like a car or not.
  • hsholmeshsholmes Member Posts: 1
    Our 2005 Honda Odyssey has had a very noticeable wind notice around 60 mph that seems to be coming from somewhere around the sunroof area. We've confirmed nothing is protruding, and all doors and windows are closed.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Are you sure the noise is not emanating from the windshield? THAT is a well known (and easily fixed) issue with the Odyssey.
    On the contrary, I've seen NO reports anywhere (except from you, a non-owner) that the Odyssey Touring's PAX tires "...need to be replaced after 15,000 - 19,000 miles..." Mine have almost 15,000 miles on them and are showing very little wear and will easily last 50,000 to 60,000 miles.

As for cost, yes, they are more expensive than standard tires although whether they are "alot more" depends, among other things, on one's perspective. Quoted prices I've seen seem to be about $175 each.

The best thing about them, however, is that unlike conventional run-flats, PAX tires offer a superb ride, comparable to regular tires.
  • slynn41072slynn41072 Member Posts: 7
    If you do a search on these forums for PAX tires you will see plenty of people who have complaints about these tires. Of course people hardly ever post good experiences, but I would rather hear the bad and make a decision based I what I feel is important. Seems to me from what I have read is that these tires are not always in stock, and you can't replace them with a regular tire until a PAX tire is available. I will stick with the EX-L with a can of fix a flat.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "If you do a search on these forums for PAX tires you will see plenty of people who have complaints about these tires."

Yes, but those complaints have NOTHING to do with tire life (that is a problem with the Sienna AWD runflats, not the PAX tires) or the tire ride.

The complaints regarding PAX are that the wheels/tires are proprietary to Michelin and that availability may be spotty (because the Ody Touring is the ONLY vehicle in NA to use this tire) and that alternate tires cannot be fitted to these rims.

And with the EX-L, you don't need a can of fix-a-flat; you have a spare.
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    Well I have 18,000 miles on my PAX tires, an I see very little wear on mine also. :P :D
    Oh, I wasn't trying to sell you on them, slynn41072, just correct the record. It is quite true that PAX availability is an issue, albeit one that will become less serious with time. I was VERY leery of them but have been absolutely delighted so far except for one drawback that no one seems to mention (and that I didn't anticipate). Because PAX tires have essentally no sidewall bulge, there is no cushion if you scrap a curb while parking - thus it is all too easy to damage a wheel. So far my wheels are intact but I have to be exceedingly careful while parking on the street.
  • abinabin Member Posts: 18
    You don't have to stick with PAX tires providing it is not fit to you.
    Knowing or not knowing this issue is another thing.
    Go with these two vehicles could not be wrong, no vehicle is perfect.
    As you did, I would always want hear something negative about a vehicle.
    I am not saying people promoting a specific vehicle are associated with
    a dealership, and if it is, there is nothing wrong on it. You just have to be careful.
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    " Wearing seat belts is more important than whether the door opens or not in a crash."

Excellent point. Locking the doors also helps. Combined, your risk of ejection would be minimal. The NHTSA intentionally unlocks doors for their side impact tests, unless an automatic system that is difficult to override is standard.

It's now a moot point now, anyway. Honda updated the design for 2006 and a retest by the NHTSA no longer indicates any safety concern. The Odyssey retained 5-star ratings.

Both vehicles are very safe. Each has advantages. As noted, the Honda has a slightly better rating in the NHTSA frontal driver test and the IIHS head restraint test. The Odyssey also has rollover deploying side curtain airbags with sensors for all seating rows plus standard stability control. Though subjective, many reviews indicate it has somewhat better handling and braking limits. A few hundred more pounds on most models can't hurt in a head-on crash, either. In favor of the Sienna are available features on lower trims like DRLs, auto door locks, tire pressure warning and also better driver's side rear visibility (also subjective). The new turn signal mirrors available on higher trims for 2006 are nice, too. Keep in mind the Sienna also had quadruple 5-star ratings for 2004; the numbers on the NHTSA frontal driver crash test really didn't change greatly and may not be too far from the threshold for 5-stars in any case. From what correspondence I have, it appears that updates to a restraint system to meet new regulations led to the retest in 2005 and possibly the lower score as well.

Despite the differences, both are very safe vehicles overall. The IIHS side impact tests on the minivan category are due to be released soon, so that should add another round to the debate. I suspect most models tested with side curtain airbags will do well, though.
  • lilcrzy4cars2lilcrzy4cars2 Member Posts: 4
    it doesn't matter where it is, it is all about power, and safty, and maybe design, the limited doesn't have a side curtain airbags do they?
  • lilcrzy4cars2lilcrzy4cars2 Member Posts: 4
    the honda do have ex-l with res and nav, witch is alot cheaper than the sienna, but then, i have heard that odyssey can many defect in its 1st year generation, dunno about its 2nd year in its generation
    "The IIHS side impact tests on the minivan category are due to be released soon, so that should add another round to the debate."

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=80
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    We purchased a new 2006 Odyssey. It had 44 miles on it because it had been driven from another dealer about 30 miles away specifically for us to test drive. The dealer we went to did not have exactly what we wanted so got it from another dealer. We then took it out for about a 30 mile test drive so it ended up with 74 miles when new.
    Was this a sliding door or a front door? The Odyssey EX and above have dual power doors so this wont happen. Most people dont have this problem with regular doors.
    But the 2006 Ody speedo goes to 160 mph!
  • gopurduegopurdue Member Posts: 2
    I struggled for a long time between the Sienna and Odyssey. As a two-time Toyota owner, I was comfortable with the Sienna, but found that the Odyssey was more sporty and masculine. I really didn't want another minivan, but I didn't want a gas guzzling SUV either. I chose the Odyssey Touring with NAV & RES - XM radio was the deciding factor (Toyota doesn't offer satellite radio on the Sienna). After three weeks with the Odyssey, I am extremely disappointed. I think that the media gives Honda a pass for using cheap materials and user-unfriendly designs. For example, in order to move the roof rack crossbars (that cost 3 times as much as the ones for our Pacifica), you need to use a Torx driver. Almost all the surfaces that the driver touches on the doors and dash are hard, cheap-looking plastic. The upper glove box pops open all the time when closing the lower glove box. There's no place to put coins for toll roads. The driver's visor is an inch or two from the driver's face when positioned to the side. The ride is rough over uneven surfaces. The seats are unsupportive and there is no power passenger's seat. The gas mileage is poor and is worse than the mileage I got in our old 1998 Oldsmobile minivan. I had to get Michelin's run-flat tires in order to get the other features that only come on the Touring model. I could go on and on about minor irritations, but I'll sum it up by saying that I've never been so disappointed with any other new car that I've purchased.

On the good side, the stereo sounds great and the DVD player is very nice. The Odyssey looks better than other minivans on the outside. The engine compartment is the most organized I've seen on any vehicle.

I wasn't happy with any of the choices when I bought the Odyssey, but I thought it was the best compromise. After three weeks, I wish that I had bought the Sienna, even though it's not as attractive and doesn't come with satellite radio. By every measure our 2006 Odyssey is a better minivan than the 1998 Olds Silhouette that it replaced, yet I'd have to say that the Olds never disappointed me the way that the Odyssey has. I don't think I'll buy another Honda in the future.
  • gopurduegopurdue Member Posts: 2
    The Odyssey has some nice features that the Sienna doesn't have, but the Sienna has a lot of nice features that Odyssey doesn't have:

- power vent windows
    - front console
    - 10 speaker stereo with surround
    - roof cross bars included ($285 extra for Odyssey)
    - windshield wiper de-icer
    - stereo jack for Ipods & CD player plays MP3s

You get the idea. You may have to give up some nice features either way. The Sienna has a much smoother ride than the Odyssey, but the Odyssey is sportier looking and feeling.

I bought into some of the reviews that talked up the Odyssey without pointing out any of it's faults. The articles said that it rides like a premium sedan - no way. It's nice on smooth pavement, but hit some expansion joints or potholes and it's a violent ride. Enough that the wireless headphones kept falling off my kid's heads.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Don't forget the trip computer that is readily available on Sienna, but only on top of the line Odyssey. Biggest plus for me with the Odyssey is the 7+1 seating. Cake and eat it too vs Toyotas one or the other.

Speaking of crossbars. How easy are they to take off of a Sienna. I have some nice Thule cross bars that I use for serious rooftop duty (Canoe etc) that are stronger and more stable than the factory bars. Right now I keep the factory bars on (along with the Thule) and install the other bars for carrying things. Are the bars on the Sienna easily removable. Would be nice for wind noise and gas mileage (slightly).
  • 05ody05ody Member Posts: 103
    I know! looking down at the gagues and seeing 260KM/H makes you feel like your just in a car! and its weird when I let my mother drive it, and she says the same thing! :P
    We purchased an Odyssey after extensive comparisons of an EX with an 8-passenger Sienna LE. I actually had a Sienna LE8 on order but ended up purchasing an Odyssey EX-L after a long series of events. If the 8th seat hadn't been important, I almost certainly would have opted for a higher trim level Sienna. Overall, I am very impressed with the Odyssey and have few minor complaints. The fit of that upper glove box being the largest one.

I did find the Odyssey to have many of the same shortcomings at the lower trim level. While the ride was acceptable in terms of being smooth and quiet, the Sienna was somewhat better. I also liked the Sienna interior a bit better, though I think the Odyssey's is quite nice relative to many other vehicles on the market. On the flip side, I think the Odyssey seats are very comfortable and our gas milaage has been well above expectations so far on two tanks of suburban driving. The tradeoff for the Sienna's quiet and smooth ride is clearly the road feel and handling in the Odyssey, so it's personal preference as to which you value more. Both are very good vans. For many, the choice may well come down to which gizmos you value and what sort of things disappoint you. I was coming from a 2001 Odyssey, and the 2006 model is an upgrade in almost every regard so far.
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Apparently this forum is where Toyota lovers come to express their negative feelings toward Hondas, LOL. I wrestled with some of these same good points and issues mentioned between the replied post and this one. The one that did it in for me was having to go to row 2 in order to change the DVD. No, there's one more... the Sienna is stepsister ugly IMHO. Both have flaws, both have pluses, surely we all have the right to differ in our opinions of what they are. I can stand the sacrifice of a stiffer ride as I don't do too much off road'Odying in our Touring. This trade-off for better cornering and PAX (Toyota has it too) was worthwhile.

Having said all that, there is probably a forum that is the inverse of this one and there are likely Toyota loyalists wishing they bought an Odyssey instead of a Sienna, I think they call that buyers remorse/sour grapes.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "This trade-off for better cornering and PAX (Toyota has it too) was worthwhile. "

A very minor quibble on my part but......Toyota does NOT equip any of it's vehicles with PAX tires.
  • abinabin Member Posts: 18
    One advantage Toyota over Honda is,
    There is no so called "internet price" for Honda as offered by many Toyota dealerships in my area (DC area). This is just another option in buying vehicle. I didn't notice anything like this offered by Honda.

Both Toyota and Honda have wonderful vehicles that I like to keep, and it could not be wrong if you choose either based on their reliability history.
  • asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    I agree. I was toyota owner for 4 yrs and this is my first Honda (odyssey). I struggled a lot between Sienna and Ody and went for ody for its sporty look and ride. So far i am disappointed with interior quality and gas mileage. I have 2006 EX and i am getting any where b/w 16-18 mpg with 80% highway in my first tank fill up. I hope it gets better as the engine breaks-in. I traded-in my 05 Seq for 06 Ody mainly due to gas price and 14-15 mpg on my seq. But i am not getting much difference in mileage.
    I have 400 miles on ody so far, and there are some rattles inside. The map/glove compartment has a loose fit and does not match when closed in. I guess it will start openning on its own soon. The plastic is cheap looking. The seats are not as comfy as toyota. No Trip computer. The door handle is tight and pry on the opposite side. I guess they want us to use left hand to open the door instead of right. Does not make sense for why they did that. Also the way the 3rd row seat recline and folds back is not very durable. I doubt that pull strap will last.

on Plus side, the handling is responsive, overall looks are better than sienna.
    The deciding factor me was that sienna/camry is towards it end of cycle for this shape. There will be new camry next yr which will be more like avalon and since sienna is based on camry platform, it will change in 2008 (as early as late 2007).
    Above all i wanted to give honda a shot as this is my first one. I am not sure if i will do that again. It is not being a toyota lover and whining on this forum. I have spent 26 k in a vehicle and i want to be satisfied.

Asif
    Fuel economy varies widely from person to person, season to season and region to region. You'll see a lot of complaints on both Odyssey and Sienna forums that owners are getting well below EPA mileage estimates. On the other hand, in addition to the EPA, 4 other agencies that did comparable tests among minivans rated the Odyssey VCM models as being equal to or better than the Sienna, including Natural Resources Canada, Consumer Reports, MotorWeek and MotorTrend.

We've gotten 21 mpg on our first two tanks in predominantly suburban driving around town. I can't compare to Sienna, but it is 2-3mpg higher than our 2001 Odyssey in the same conditions. The EPA estimate for the 2006 also happens to be 2mpg higher than the 2001, so the relative economy seems to be reasonable. As they say, YMMV.
  • goodtocugoodtocu Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are Honda fans actually. We had 2001 four door civic EX and just sold for $9700 in less than a day. We still have a 2002 Honda Accord.

When we were thinking for a mini-van, of course we went to Honda dealers and test-drove Ody for a couple of times. We won't be able to go to the top models/options since we have a budget of $25k pre-tax.

We got a quote from Honda dealers of $24,986 before tax for a Ody LX. But finally we got a Sienna LE + BZ package, or the #4 package, instead. The pre-tax price is $25,400.
    After we got the van, we feel:

1) The edmunds TMV for Sienna vans should be reduced to $1000 lower; It's simply not right. Both my wife and I are kind of green and don't know how to negotiate at all, we don't even speak good English, so I don't think we could get something way below the TMV. I am afraid the TMV should be even lower.

2)Honda Ody LX is very nice, but has less feature than Sienna LE + BZ(#4) package. Such as, right power sliding door; privacy windows; power driver seat; 6 CD changer; and many others for convenience.

3) The toyota dealership in TN has done a better job than the Honda dealership in the same area. It may or may not be the case elsewhere though.

4) The only thing we really don't like on the Sienna LE+BZ package van is the ugly antenna. It is in the glass for XLE and above models, but we have to live with it due to the budget issue.

Hopefully the above info can help future buyers.
    Well I have a Touring with no R/N and I love it. I gave up my 2004 Chrysler T&C limited, and I'm very impressed by the dramatic differences in both vans. I really hated to lose my T&C, but the honda is better built in many ways. look at the Edmunds vehicle comparison and then drive for yourself. As for the Honda being a big disappointment, I really think deep down inside you really wanted the Sienna You said so yourself. (After three weeks, I wish that I had bought the Sienna, even though it's not as attractive and doesn't come with satellite radio.) The things you are complaining about on your Odyssey are minor except mpg. You did call the Odyssey a "compromise". I'm really beginning to think money was a deciding factor or features that the Sienna didn't have. "FACE IT" man or woman, you should have bought the Sienna. IF this make you feel any better no van is perfect. "By every measure our 2006 Odyssey is a better minivan than the 1998 Olds Silhouette that it replaced, yet I'd have to say that the Olds never disappointed me the way that the Odyssey has". "Oh btw", I since a little contradiction in this statement. When it comes to spending $40,000 or close to it, you should get what you like and never compromise. :)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    "you should get what you like and never compromise"

Good concept hard to impliment though - what people like is not always available. I would like a minivan with a diesel engine and a manual transmission - where do I get that?
  • toyo_van_ownertoyo_van_owner Member Posts: 31
    I want one with force fields between the kids' seats, and is also self cleaning. So, in a sense I settled for the Sienna, since it doesn't have those things.
    Good points minivanguy.

All,
    Let's fast forward 5-10 years or so. Folks like us will be posting from their blackberry successors and look back on today's Ody and Sienna like they were the Pontiac Transport versus Aztek or VW Thing versus Yugo. For those who aren't familiar, these were four vehicles that were ugly and did nothing for most consumers but scatter the USA market to other segments. In ten years you might get laughed at by your neighbors who say, "You still have an INTERNAL COMBUSTION engine? C'mon Mr. Morph-resistant, it's all about 'nucular' (a presidential quote) hydrogen green electric plutonic pnuemonic plasma hybrids, get with the world government mandated program, you're making us all look bad to the mother ship."

Every vehicle ever made is a compromise but they evolve in directions and for reasons I don't fully understand. I only wish that more forethought and weight was placed on informal customer feedback which in a way, this place and others offer. I don't recall getting a survey from any auto manufacturer asking what you'd like to see done differently or better next year. OK, Volvo one time, but I never saw any of my suggestions implemented and I have several profitable patents. Let's start with an Ody coin holder!
    AMEN to the coin holder!! :D
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Question...Why didn't you just have an XM radio installed in a Sienna since that seems to be what pushed you over?

And, why is having to use a Torx screwdriver such a big deal? Just curious..how often do you move those cross bars anyway?

Seriously...it's not a good thing to spend that much money and be unhappy. I do think, however, based on the level of your complaints that you would have found minor items on a Sienna that would have bothered you as well.
    "OK compromise just a little" ;)
  • my1sthondamy1sthonda Member Posts: 2
    Coin holder??
    What do you think the bottom of your cup holder is for?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    in the '03 and '04 (i think), there was a replacement pull-out where an ash-try would be. it holds two cups, and there is coin-holder slots with a rubberized surface.

this doesn't exist in the '05 / '06 model?

There are no provisions or devices shaped to hold coins in any 2005 or 2006 Odyssey, thus the ridiculous grumbling. Using the bottom of a cupholder causes a sticky and possibly staining mess (pennies) and the coins rattle. Our '06 Ody Touring R&N is still rattle free so I enjoy the quiet coin free jingle ride for now. I solved this problem long ago with a $5 coin holder from Target that fits in a cupholder but I shouldn't have to sacrifice one of the dozen or so aboard to hold change, wink. The fun part is making a big deal of such a simple omission as a design oversight.

There's not much to pick on with either vehicle titled in this forum as choosing represents your personal taste and owner acceptance of comprimises.
    Well usually to hold the bottom of your cup! ;) Just Kidding! but as already posted, it may leave stains on the table and it rattles which really bothers me while im driving. I will probablly buy a portable one for my Odyssey, its just more convient to have one built in!
  • edkleinedklein Member Posts: 34
    Do either the Odyssey or Sienna have full time power ports (cigarrette lighters for you old guys)? One thing that annoys be about my wife's Accord vs. my pickup is that, when I turn off the ingnition, the power port gets no power. Yet, with my truck, I can keep a powered accesory like my GPS or laptop running.
  • researcher6researcher6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi gootocu,

We are in E TN and also looking for a van now. Can you give more detail about where and whom you bought from? Thanks in advance.
    Ed,

No full time 12 VDC on either one. This is a common trait of Japanese vehicles. There are mods available to do this but I can't disclose where they're located unless you e-mail me.
    There have been variuos discussions in various threads about the performance difference between the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna. Motor trend Magazine has put each of these vehicles through it paces with the following results:
    Honda 0-60 mph 8.6 sec, 1/4 mile 16.5 sec
    Toyota 0-60 mph 8.8 sec, 1/4 mile 16.7 sec

For a complete review of this comparison and the Chrysler minivan go to http://motortrend.com/roadtests/van/112_0505_minivans/index4.html
    Consumer Reports also reports off-the-line acceleration to be about the same. The main difference in both a test drive and published reviews is in the higher RPM power, particularly for highway speed passing. The Odyssey's handling and braking are generally reported as being a bit better in reviews, also. The tradeoff is the Sienna's ride, which is quieter and smoother.
    I especially enjoyed the part of the Motor Trend article that says the Sienna feels like it's stuck on flypaper. I can't think of better words, definitely has to be pushed harder than an Ody but then is freewheelin' rev happy once you stomp on it. Although it's just as quick off the line it felt somewhat anemic IMHO. It also points out (I see the flames coming) that the Ody uses regular and that the Sienna requires premium. There are those who get great results with a Sienna on regular or mid-grade but I think the operant word regarding premium is 'recommended' for optimum performance. Honda get up an goes just a scosh faster and definitely stops shorter while getting a slight edge in MPG. 2006 model Sienna's have optional power fold side mirrors, can play MP3's, and have Bluetooth (obscure, fave of cell phone addicts). Honda options are straight-forward. Basically, there aren't any, just several trim levels; EX, EX-L, Touring with or without RES & Navi [all Tourings have RES]. Toyota offers entry level up through XLE Limited, 2 or 4 WD, numbered option package goulash that require a Boolean chart in Excel, you get the idea.

Flip a coin, they're both great manly-man/mommy-mover minivans.
  • alicetidalicetid Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm replacing a 2001 Dodge Caravan AWD with 155,000 miles. I like AWD (that means Toyota) but it is not critical as I get rain, not snow. This is especially true since the best seat options are not available with AWD. I have a lift for my mother's scooter that fits into my trailer hitch. I had the suspension in back beefed up as the lift and scooter combo are about 400 lbs. The big sport utes that would handle the lift easily don't otherwise fit my needs.

Does anyone know how the Sienna or Odyssey would handle a 400 lb tongue weight with the right hitch?

Thanks! -Alice
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    COMPLETELY Disagree with derogatory statement about Sienna performance since the Sienna I took on a test drive was MUCH more responsive than the Odyssey test driven back to back altho the Odyssey was quicker than my 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L V6. ;)
    Interesting. In my numerous test drives, I found the Odyssey transmission and engine to be more responsive when hitting the accelerator while the car was moving. From a stop, I couldn't tell much difference. It's all subjective, of course, but hopefully the rags like Motor Trend and Consumer Reports are somewhat reliable in their measurements.
    Completlly agree. I found the Sienna to be quick and smooth at shifting, but the Odyssey was somewhat better in my opinion.
  • steedmsteedm Member Posts: 14
    Looking to replace a 98 Sienna, which needed replacing after two side impact wrecks we looked at Ody and Sienna only. The deciding features that steered us towards the 06 Sienna were the more supportive seats, and the strange, "I am stuck in an echo chamber" feeling I got in the middle row seats on the Ody. The fact I can plug my ipod into the sound system is just a bonus.
    Family feedback is that it is roomy (from a 6'4" teenager) and feels like the old van from my wife. My only negative is that it has very light steering, too much assistance.
    It is of course quieter than a van with 118,000 miles on it and a strange clunk from the front steering.