Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• boskobosko Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at buying Sienna or Odyssey, and need navigation because my wife is not "good" with directions.

I was really disappointed that, if you compare the lowest models with navigation, Sienna is $2K more. In addition, dealerships seem to only carry navigation with "everything" model, which is MSRP'd at $44K -- Odyssey with nav is $35K MSRP, can probably be had for $33K and change.

Is this particular to my area, that navigation is practically not available with vanilla XLE model (+ option package #8)?
  • rx80vetterx80vette Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know whether the third row seats in either the Odyssey or Sienna are actually leather? WE noticed in the Odyssey brochure that it says leather 1st and 2nd row seats. The Sienna just says "leather trimmed interior". We have three kids,so someone is always in the third row, and we live in Arizona, where even leather seats can be uncomfortable in summer. I can't imagine subjecting the kids to vinyl.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Go with the cloth; its almost always more comfy than leather, especially in temperature extremes!
  • fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    Does anyone know whether the third row seats in either the Odyssey or Sienna are actually leather? WE noticed in the Odyssey brochure that it says leather 1st and 2nd row seats. The Sienna just says "leather trimmed interior". We have three kids,so someone is always in the third row, and we live in Arizona, where even leather seats can be uncomfortable in summer. I can't imagine subjecting the kids to vinyl.
    2006 Odyssey EX-L 3rd seat is definitely leather and very comfortable. Also side panels are covered in leather at third seat. Feels quite luxurious.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Agree 100 %. It gets VERY cold in Rocky Mountain region of Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah in the winter. In the summer, it can also get HOT...especially on a clear day when the sun is shining brightly.
    Leather is very nice in homes where the temperature can be kept at a comfortable 68 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit but the temperatures in a vehicle can be kept in the comfort range only while the vehicle engine is running.
  • temp409temp409 Member Posts: 55
    But at $30,000 I can't afford it. but the Sienna has EVERYTHING that I want in a van. ALL seatbelts catch FIRST jerk but then again so do all vans except our Dodge caravan (rear shoulder straps dont catch) we just wrecked and my daughter was badly hurt because of the shoulder belt not catching. Test for yourself you will see. We got the Kia sedona for only $16,500 ALL catching seatbelts also 5yr bumper to bumper and 20yr 200,000 mile powertrain warranty. Wouldn't have got it except for that warranty though. Sienna was my fav. by far over the Odyssey because the ride was much smoother.
  • fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    But at $30,000 I can't afford it. but the Sienna has EVERYTHING that I want in a van. ALL seatbelts catch FIRST jerk but then again so do all vans except our Dodge caravan (rear shoulder straps dont catch) we just wrecked and my daughter was badly hurt because of the shoulder belt not catching. Test for yourself you will see. We got the Kia sedona for only $16,500 ALL catching seatbelts also 5yr bumper to bumper and 20yr 200,000 mile powertrain warranty. Wouldn't have got it except for that warranty though. Sienna was my fav. by far over the Odyssey because the ride was much smoother
    I do not understand why you test drove the Toyota and Honda if you could not afford them. You knew this ahead of time. This is part of the reason that people who actually might buy a vehicle have a hard time getting a test drive. I chose an Odyssey because it has wonderful safety features on all models and because I feel that it is the best at allowing accident AVOIDANCE. Best steering, best acceleration and most importantly perhaps the best brakes.
    "I do not understand why you test drove the Toyota and Honda if you could not afford them." Really you have gone to a car lot and been rejected a test drive? That don't happen in our town that I know of. And actually Kias sticker price is close to sienna just that toyota didn't have big rebates is why we chose kia. Better ride than odyessy- better warranty- less money- interior looked better than sienna or odyssey -a bit less power but I don't need alot of power.
    I think one of us misunderstood...I think he meant "Why would you go and drive something that you know you couldn't afford to buy?"

It would be like me going out and driving a Lexus IS350. I would love one, but I know I can't afford it, so I didn't bother test-driving it when I was car-shopping.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    This isn't a Chrysler discussion, nor is it a Kia discussion. There are other boards for discussing those vehicles.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i don't think you have to justify driving a vehicle you may believe you cannot afford to anyone. if you find the features and ride and quality and other factors important to you - you'd probably consider it.

some people would tell you that you need to look at the big picture aspect of a purchase and consider the true cost of ownership among other things (see the link on Edmunds).

this may mean everything from how many times you're likely to find yourself at the dealership getting things repaired, or how much effort is spent getting the dealership to honor the warranty, to things like qualified service alternatives (dealerships and independants) in your area, insurance premiums, mileage, depreciation and resale value.
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    "It would be like me going out and driving a Lexus IS350. I would love one, but I know I can't afford it, so I didn't bother test-driving it when I was car-shopping."

Some might just test drive for fun. Others just to see the differences out of curiousity. Still others might test drive it to find one flaw with the IS350, allowing them to rationalize why it is inferior to the Sonata they bought for half the price.
  • ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    I don't live in Northern Canada, and I would guess that the majority of people on this blog don't live there as well. I live in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, and yes we do see quite a bit of snow. Do you know what is in Pittsburgh? A lot of hills. I have seen many front well drive Honda pull over because they couldn't make it up the hill. I understand they probably don't have snow tires, but it doesn't really snow enough to insist upon snow tires. It does snow just enough to take an AWD SUV over a front wheel drive (assuming both are on all-season). Stopping is only part of driving in the snow. If you can't get out of your driveway or up the numerous hills here then forget it. My 4runner does just fine. No need for a snow shovel here.
  • ilovemycar1ilovemycar1 Member Posts: 1
    We have test driven both the Sienna and Odyssey. We are leaning toward the Odyssey due to the better steering, handling, acceleration and nicer outside appearance. The only thing that concerns me about the Odyssey is the noise level. All of the reviews state that the Odyssey isn't as quiet as the Sienna. We didn't notice much difference when driving both vans around town on the test drives. I was wondering if there are any statistics online anywhere which compares the inside decibel readings of these two vans. Is there really that much difference in noise level between the two vans? I am particularly concerned about engine and wind noise at highway speeds. I have been in several minivans that were so loud you couldn't hear the third row passengers. I know that noise was an issue in the older Odysseys but it is supposed to be better in the new model.

If anyone has driven both minivans on the interstate and can give me some insight on the noise level differences between these two vans, please post.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "We have test driven both the Sienna and Odyssey."

This is what matters the most.

The problem with trying to get an idea for the 'noise level' in a car by comparing decibel readings is that decibel readings DON'T take into account sound 'character'. A 70 db reading in one car may be completely unacceptable due to the type of noise whereas a 70 db reading in another car may be just fine.

Another problem with trying to compare db readings in a magazine is that tire design can have a big impact on noise (and manufacturers sometimes change tire make/model in the middle of production) as well as road surface. There's no way of knowing if the vehicles were all tested on the same type of road (smooth/rough asphalt or concrete can change tire noise considerably).

Your best bet is to test drive the vehicles in question YOURSELF on the types of roads you'll spend time on. Don't take others opinions as gospel since everyone has a different idea of what is okay/objectionable.

Personally (and this is just me), I thought the Sienna was a bit 'quieter' (ie. more pleasant) inside than the Odyssey. It was hard to tell conclusively since the vehicles were not driven back-to-back or on the exact same roads. However, I felt the actual noise difference between the two to be relatively small (IMO and to my ears, YMMV). We bought the Odyssey and it has been fine for us, noisewise, on all of our extended trips.
    good points. i personally think that since the interiors of both vehicles are not identical, the physical materials and geometries of everything including the seats and the roof insulation and various dimensions would have a great deal to play in the sound dB levels which were recorded and reported. levels in one location may vary significantly from other positions.

and even if someone went to the trouble to record and present that information in a somewhat objective manner, wouldn't our reaction to the noise floor be one of perception and subjectivity? i think so...

for example, i personally do not like driving in a vehicle which provides too much sound insulation, because environment situational awareness is helpful to me (engine reving / abnormal operation, road surface conditions, tire slippage, winds, approaching trucks / horns / sirens, etc etc). that is all helpful stuff for me as driver.

as a passenger, my feelings would be somewhat different because my role was different. i might want the contribution of those things i want as driver removed.
    My only real complaint on our 2006 Odyssey is the road/tire noise at highway speeds, particularly on concrete or coarse asphalt. If you do a lot of highway driving, definitely test drive it on typical pavement where you drive.

Around town, it is just as quiet as the Siennas we drove.
    another good point. on our '03LX, I found the Bridgestones to be quite noisy. I replaced them with Michelin Symmetry's and I though the road noise was appreciably lower.

i think tires (tread pattern and rubber composition), sidewall stiffness and inflation can greatly affect noise transmission to the cabin and overall levels.
    "It would be like me going out and driving a Lexus IS350. I would love one, but I know I can't afford it, so I didn't bother test-driving it when I was car-shopping."

Some might just test drive for fun.

True, but I doubt they would test a minivan for a "fun" test drive. I'd be in that IS350! ;)

I do see the points made on reply to my post though. Personally, I wouldn't want to drive a more expensive car, for fear that I would feel like I was "settling" on the one I intended to purchase originally. It sounds juvenile, but that's just me I guess! ;)
    Let's just say I didn't list the possibilities in order of probability ;-)
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    I've seen many SUV's and trucks that have got stuck. There was one road, where as I drove down I saw almost 15 cars/trucks stuck in the middle of the road. My Accord on ("MAGIC") snow tires managed to plow through the whole road.

Stopping is only part of driving in the snow.
    Like I stated in my last post. Snow tires don't just help you stop. They do A LOT more. Please read the article I posted.

I understand they probably don't have snow tires, but it doesn't really snow enough to insist upon snow tires.
    That's what I stated from the very start.
    My first post #3347- "Of course, in less severe winter conditions. Good all seasons are ok, but do not offer the reassuring grip that winter tires give."

If you can't get out of your driveway or up the numerous hills here then forget it. My 4runner does just fine. No need for a snow shovel here.
    This statement contradicts your statement above, "yes we do see quite a bit of snow"
    Well if you don't need a shovel, you haven't been in a real snow fall. "Quite a bit", will need a shovel.

Call me next time when you've actually been in a real snow fall. I'd like to see how your 4RUNNER on all seasons handles.

Also, did you read the article I posted?
    I hope you did.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    " it doesn't really snow enough to insist upon snow tires. It does snow just enough to take an AWD SUV over a front wheel drive"

I don't really understand this. $5-600 snow tires can't be justified even though they extend the life of your regular tires (since they are used less) and provide you with full sized spares if needed.

On the other hand spending the couple of thousand dollars extra (sometimes less sometimes much more) that AWD typically costs is a wise investment? :confuse: On top of that the AWD costs extra in the additional fuel it uses.

Remember that in a hilly city the AWD will do absolutely nothing to help you stop when going down a hill. The snow tires will help you in this case. Maybe all the hill always go up - they could have been designed by Escher. In that case AWD could be better. ;)

http://www.mcescher.com/Gallery/recogn-bmp/LW435.jpg
    Tires and road surface have more impact on noise level inside either the Odyssey or Sienna than whether the vehicle is an Odyssey or a Sienna. (We can't mention other brand names here, but neither the 2006 Odyssey or 2006 Sienna is as quiet on the same road as my other minivan...which I attribute to Goodyear tires being quieter than Bridgestone on Odyssey or Dunlop on Sienna).
  • metsin06metsin06 Member Posts: 15
    A little off topic, but I got a chance to drive the IS350 at a driving event before they came out. WOW!! Acceleration was very strong and smooth and the handling was incredible. I drove it hard and it didn't come close to losing control. Very fun to drive, especially when it's not your car and it is a closed track (albeit a small one). I also drove the IS300 when it first came out at the Edmunds driving event in 2000 and was very impressed with the handling.
    Did the IS350 accelerate and handle as well as the Odyssey?
    "Did the IS350 accelerate and handle as well as the Odyssey?"

Mixed analogies. You KNOW that the Sienna is the 'Lexus of Minivans' so the proper comparison of the IS350 would be to the Sienna.

The Odyssey is the BMW of minivans......remember? :P
    Does the comparison indicate that the Lexus IS350 would have a "floaty, boaty" ride like a Buick? :shades:
  • metsin06metsin06 Member Posts: 15
    LOl, I didn't drive the Odyssey on the track, but I did have the salesman at Open Road clutching the hand rails and getting excited during the test drive. :D
  • undecided12undecided12 Member Posts: 2
    I've been doing lots of research and I'm comparing a Sienna Limited with an Odyssey Touring. I've only driven the Sienna so far and thought it's power was a little underwhelming. Maybe it's because I'm used to a manual transmission where I can maximize the power by downshifting. I noticed with the Sienna when cruising on the highway at 70 (typical for southern CA) that if I tried to accelerate even slightly to get to 75, the transmission downshifted initially and then upshifted again and made for a jerky ride. Also, the road to our house is on a pretty steep incline and the Sienna seemed a little anemic. Is the Odyssey noticeably more powerful? I thought it might be because it's nearly 10% more horsepower and torque, but then I noticed that it's also about 9% heavier, so the power difference may be negligible. What about cruising. Do others share the same experience with the Sienna as I did on the highway? Did any others test drive both? What are your thoughts on how the performance compares?
    Sienna and Odyssey I thought Odyssey had more power but thought Siennas ride was much smoother. I bought a 05Kia big rebates better warranty rode better than oddyssey I thought but not sienna.
    oh boy, if you are used to driving a stick, an automatic is going to be a totally different experience, specially in a mini-van. i fondly remember the days...

manufacturers will not necessarily implement engine control and corresponding transmission shift logic in the same manner, so your experience could vary quite a bit amongst all the manufacturers out there...

horsepower is only one part of the overall equation.

you need to test these two scenarios with the vehicles you intend to purchase and determine for yourself if they meet your expectations.

you've experienced one, now try the other.

one of the critical aspects of our '03 Ody purchase was when you stepped on the gas, the vehicle responded smartly with power - but - our vehicle has a cable throttle system. i cannot speak for how newer models respond from either manufacture since moving to a drive by wire system.

drive-by-wire implementations of throttle control provides an infrastructure or architecture to perform other stuff like improved economy and coordinated safety: stability control and engine output derating under certain scenarios.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I can't speak about the Sienna but my Touring has amply highway power, particularly in passing. Took it from Ohio to California last summer and it easily coped with mountain inclines.
    I haven't driven a Sienna, but I do know that the Sienna makes even less power when you don't run premium fuel through it. The Odyssey goes into a full-tilt run on regular. If you ever rev it over 4,000 (I don't think I have on my aunt's, but she has with me riding) it will haul @$$!

A magazine article I read remarked that the Sienna felt "stuck on flypaper" unless you gave it plenty of throttle, and then it took off fine. The Odyssey has plenty of power right from the start.
    The Sienna had much more power and response at various speeds than did the Odyssey. Quite a surprise since I had read the same article quoted in posting # 3426.

Does the engine/transmission response vary more from vehicle to vehicle of the same brand than between an average Sienna and an average Odyssey? :blush:
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I drove a brand new Sienna and Odyssey back to back trying to narrow down my selection. My first choice was the Sienna XLE until my wife and I drove the Odyssey. No comparison as the Ody was more powerful and rode better. We both felt the Sienna was too floaty. The Sienna had the edge on quiet. Sure, this is only a personal opinion but that is what this board is all about, right?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Quieter and smoother vehicles do not feel as fast.

The Sienna and Odyssey are withing .1 second of each other in just about every test (with the Sienna being the one that is a tick quicker). There is really no difference. If you like the "feeling" of going fast, then roll down the windows so you hear more engine noise.
    Agree 100 % ;)
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    Disagree 100%. That's what makes this country great.

Sienna is anemic but fools you by getting off the line quickly. Ody has more overall punch, drives and handles more sporty than any other minivan.

Opine on.
  • 05ody05ody Member Posts: 103
    Every comparison I read the Odyssey was quicker in everything except the 0-60, which was .1 second difference :confuse:
    Every comparison I read the Odyssey was quicker in everything

Which shouldn't surprise most people given the sizeable horsepower difference.
    "Which shouldn't surprise most people given the sizeable horsepower difference."

This has been hashed out many times.

It's not just hp. You also need to consider weight (the Ody is a solid 350 lbs heavier), torque (Ody's torque advantage is not as pronounced) and where in the rpm range the torque is (Ody's torque peak is higher in the rpm range which is good for hp numbers but not as good for that feeling of 'punch' at lower rpm).

While the Ody has a 13% hp advantage (244 vs. 215), it has less than a 5% advantage in hp/weight. Also, while the Ody has an 8% advantage in torque (240 vs. 222), the two vans essentially are tied in torque/weight.

Someone just looking at hp numbers would think the Ody would have a cakewalk over the Sienna. But most instrumented tests confirm that any 'paper advantage' the Ody may have is very slight.
    But, as has been reported, the extra power CAN be felt off the line, although maybe not when floored at 70 MPH. Part of the blame goes to Toyota's senile throttle tip-in programming. It FEELS slow when you give 30% throttle and the car doesn't move much, even if the same power is to be had from a floored pedal. The sensation is of slowness.
    "Part of the blame goes to Toyota's senile throttle tip-in programming."

Well, this would be the result of transmission programming, and not a hp disadvantage which is what you were originally talking about. Also, I was under the impression that the geriatric throttle tip-in programming was something which Toyota had amended through a TSB and a reflash. Supposedly, this wasn't a problem on the '06s (or at least, the problem was reduced).

I know that hansienna has been fairly vocal in HIS assertion that the Sienna felt a little zippier on initial throttle tip-in compared to Ody, but this could have just been an anamoly with the vehicles he tested.

When we tested both the Sienna and the Ody (over a year ago), the Ody FELT a bit quicker to my wife and I but the difference was very slight. In fact, I was LOOKING for it (anticipating the Ody would feel much quicker) but after the test drive I wasn't exactly blown away by the difference. In fact, due to the slightly more aggressive engine/exhaust note on the Ody, I wouldn't be surprised if the noise is what made the Ody feel quicker.

Sometimes, what we perceive isn't necessarily true. Regardless, the differences are really so slight (IMO) as to be moot.
  • ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    Would 18 inches be enough snow for you. Toyota 4runner is one of the best OFFROAD vehicles you can buy. Most of what you pay for is under the vehicle. Plowing through a driveway with 18 inches of snow is NO PROBLEM.
    Regardless, the differences are really so slight (IMO) as to be moot.

Yep, what you said.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    In the upcoming months, I am most likely going to be trading in the trusty Nissan Altima for a minivan. Based on all the factors, I have narrowed it down to the Toyota Sienna LE (most likely the package with stability and traction control), and the Honda Odyssey LX (although I may upgrade to the EX without leather).

I have rode in both, but have not driven either yet, and here are my observations:
    - Safety-wise, it is a tie.. Both vehicles seem very safe.
    - Exterior. I somewhat prefer the Odyssey, but it is very close, and I do not mind the Sienna's looks. Nod to Odyssey.
    - Interior. Again very close, but I give a slight nod to the Toyota.
    - Performance. Seems like these vehicles are pretty close and this is not a big deal to me as both are more than adequate as people movers. Nod seems to go to Honda.
    - Gas mileage. From the posts that I have read everywhere, it seems that many Odyssey owners are complaining about overall gas mileage (specifically city). While this seems to be close, real world numbers I have seen would give the nod to Toyota. Maybe my perspective is wrong here and at any rate it is still very close.
    - Handling. Again, I have not driven either vehicle but it seems that people say the Toyota has a smoother ride, but the Honda handles better.
    - Resale. I think this is too close to really give an advantage to.
    - Value. From what I have seen in my area, the Toyota seems to be the better deal (I live close to Fitzmall which sells most Siennas at about 2K under invoice). Nod to Toyota.
    - Reliability. Too be perfectly honest, this is what scares me the most about the Honda. Just trolling through the Odyssey and Sienna message boards, it seems as though there are a lot of unhappy Honda owners vs. Toyota.. Very surprised since I thought Honda's were ultra reliable. Would like to get more opinion on this subject, but give the nod to Toyota.

For me it will definitely come down to both me and my wife driving them back to back, and then determining which minivan will be the best overall value. Personally, I am leaning towards the Sienna just based on my families very positive experiences with Toyota over the years. My sister owned a Odyssey and loved it, but that was back in the late 90's.
    Well if we wanted to feel the horsepower, I would want to get as close to the red line as I can (love hearing that VTEC roar), but my aunts Sienna seems to struggle and whine when we push it
    Sorry to the double posts, I dont usually post on here much. I see that alot of Honda owners complain compared to Toyota, but its not like every person who buys a Toyota or Honda come to this message boards to tell if they like the vehicle or not. It might just be a coencident that more Honda owners are on this site had problems with their vehicles opposed to Toyota. No vehicle is perfect. All I know is that I have had 3 Honda's and they have all been extreamlly reliable (Perlude= 13 years when sold because too small, and our 8 year old Accord with no problems what so ever and no rust as well). But I know my uncle is all Toyota, and every Toyota he has had has lasted him quite a while too.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    You really do ignore everything. I posted the article and even reminded you to read it!

Here it is again.

link title
    Snow tires trump 4WD, AWD, traction control and stability control. A front-drive economy sedan on four top-quality snow tires will go more places than the best 4WD vehicle on all-season tires. An AWD- and stability control-equipped sport sedan on high-performance summer tires will get stuck on a snow cone spilled on an August highway. AWD and computer driver assists can only manage available traction, they can't increase grip.- EDMUNDS

I've had enough of arguing with you. You seem to ignore everything I and edmunds say.

Oh, and if you do travel to Canada during the winter. Do them a favor, and use snow tires. You're not only risking your own life, but others too.

Whatever.
    Excellent post (as usual). I was very suprised that the Sienna was much quicker than the Odyssey when I test drove them back to back and that could have been an anamoly with both vehicles. :blush:

After driving my 2006 Sienna just over 2000 miles now, I am convinced that the acceleration of the Sienna was no anamoly. I can not deny that the Odyssey may have been an "underachiever" (anamoly for an Odyssey?)
    My son's 2001 Ody EX with VTEC 3.5L V6 has no better acceleration at speeds under 45 or 50 MPH than either another son's 2001 GC Sport or my 2002 T&C LX with the 3.3L V6. ;)