Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• nmomof2nmomof2 Member Posts: 14
    got a quote of 29.7 for a Sienna XLE with EVP3, Tow package, floor mats, fog lamps, towing. Got 31.1 for an Odyssey EXL. No Res. With Res would be 33.1. The only way to get the sunroof on the Sienna was with EVP3, and that lumps in the DVD. The Odyssey has the backup camera, the Sienna does not.

It's so hard to compare apples to apples when their packages don't sync.

Toyota has financing incentives right now though, so I'm leaning toward that one.
  • toyojunktoyojunk Member Posts: 19
    The Odyssey IS a HIGHER quality van than the Sienna - unless fake wood plastered all over the Sienna interior is a measure of higher quality. ;)

The Odyssey resale value is much better than the Sienna (the real world Sienna resale is lower than Chrysler minivans). I know because I wanted to trade off my 2006 Sienna LE on more than one occasion and received price quotes from Toyota and Honda dealers..

The Odyssey drives MUCH better than the Sienna which is less stable on corners and in crosswinds than the Chrysler minivans.

The Odyssey seats are MUCH more comfortable than the Sienna seats.

The Odyssey has MUCH better legroom than the Sienna.

However, the Sienna has more cargo space behind the 3rd row seats than the Odyssey. :shades:
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    Oh, boy...here we go again.... You haven't traded your 2006 lemon of a Sienna yet?? Since it's such a cheap-looking, uncomfortable, unstable vehicle......
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Long time no see hans.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The tow prep package is nice, you get oil coolers so the drivetrain ought to be even more robust.
    Hans! What's up buddy? You've been slacking, haven't heard you slam the Sienna in weeks.

Anyone expecting much better resale from an Ody will be sorely disappointed, both only get a 3 star rating from Automotive Lease Guide. No significant difference.

You paid too much, got a bad deal. Time to get over it. It's been, what, 4 years now?

The Odyssey drives MUCH better than the Sienna

Which is why you paid (way too much) money for your Sienna, right? ;)

Please stick around, you bring much needed humor to these threads. :D
    OK, folks, click to read for yourself:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef353cb/3322#MSG3322

These are actual quotes by the same guy! Note the same writing style (he uses all caps every once in a while, consistently so), and when "hansienna" disappeared "toyojunk" took his place:

We prefer white exterior and the Sienna LE has a very nice taupe interior while Ody white has an unattractive (to us) light yellow/tan interior

We felt the Sienna instrument cluster is THE most attractive on any minivan and slightly preferred the Sienna LE cloth interior to the Ody EX cloth interior

the Ody dealership required a $ 500 NON refundable deposit just to get on the waiting list.

Suffering from severe amnesia, Hans?

Maybe you can explain to us why you hate the "fake wood plastered all over" ... "THE most attractive" interior?

Your words, hans! Shame on you....
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Looks like Sienna is still slightly behind in safety but has improved.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/toyota/sienna/crash_test_ratings/index.html

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/honda/odyssey/crash_test_ratings/index.html

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/kia/sedona/crash_test_ratings/index.html

or
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/template.MAXIMIZE/menuitem.416f74e861- - - - 3992381601031046108a0c/?javax.portlet.tpst=4427b997caacf504a8bdba101891ef9a_ws_M- - - - X&javax.portlet.prp_4427b997caacf504a8bdba101891ef9a_viewID=detail_view&itemID=0- - - - 99aaf2f62196110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD&viewType=standard&detailViewURL=/portal/- - - - site/nhtsa/template.MAXIMIZE/menuitem.416f74e8613992381601031046108a0c/!69237953- - - - 3!2136375818?javax.portlet.tpst=4427b997caacf504a8bdba101891ef9a_ws_MX

This is interesting too:
    From the nhtsa for 2008 and under

The table presents vehicles' collision loss experience in relative terms, with 100
    representing the average for all passenger vehicles. Thus, a rating of 122 reflects a
    collision loss experience that is 22 percent higher (worse) than average while a
    rating of 96 reflects a collision loss experience that is 4 percent lower (better) than
    average.
    Buick Terraza 62
    Dodge Grand Caravan 63
    Honda Odyssey 63
    Saturn Relay 63
    Chrysler Town & Country LWB 65
    Ford Freestar 66
    Chevrolet Uplander 68
    Chrysler Town & Country SWB 70
    Kia Sedona 72
    Hyundai Entourage 73
    Chevrolet Uplander SWB 76
    Mercury Monterey 77
    Toyota Sienna 78
    Toyota Sienna 4WD 79
    Nissan Quest 86

Clearly, according to the nhtsa, the Ody is safer and also has a significantly less collision loss percentage.
    Kudos on the Ody's NHTSA results, though those have been out for quite a while, no? Did they re-test the Sienna after model year 2007?

I ask because it got a whole new 2GR engine block and the firewall was revised as well, things that would certainly affect results like that. The 2007+ Sienna should be re-tested. Those results would apply to the 2004-2006 models with the 3MZ engine family.
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Toyojunk is the same as Hansienna,I feel..How much are the dealers giving you for your 06 LE?Probably the van is in a filthy condition with dents everywhere and no maintenance.
    Stop the childish arguments and go buy a new Odyssey and report us your findings as Odyjunk ! :shades:
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    Read the NHTSA page from the link. this was for Model year 2008.

Summary of 2008 Model Year Crash Tests and Rollover Ratings for Vans and Pickup Trucks

"The 2007+ Sienna should be re-tested."
    I wonder if they really re-tested it, though, or if they just use the same results from one year to the next?

If they tested a 2004 model, when the current generation Sienna came out, the results would differ at least somewhat. Nowadays they design vehicles so that the engine breaks off the cradle and gets pushed under the vehicle. Things like engine mounts, the size and shape of the block (the 2GR is lighter than the 3MZ, for instance), and the design of the firewall would play a vital role in where that hunk of metal ends up and how safe the passengers inside would be.

Any how, you look at those results and can pretty much conclude minivans are quite safe.

This link is even better, you can watch the actual videos for both vans:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/safety-recalls/carcrashtest/crashtestvid- eo.htm

Give CR credit for distinguishing between the early 04-05 Siennas without side curtain air bags, but they also say nothing about the 2007 changes in the sheetmetal, engine block, and firewall.

The video shows how side curtain airbags make such a big difference.

The Ody deploys the side air bags in the front offset crash, which is a bit odd, but who cares, the vehicle would be totalled anyway and the driver is extremely well protected.

In side impacts, it also does well, though the rear passenger might fracture a few ribs and injure some internal organs. Yikes, my son sits in that spot.

I'd say the Ody did better in the front offset, while the Sienna with side air bags fared better in the side impact.

I'm splitting hairs, though, both these vans are extremely safe. Look at the A-pillar - no deflection at all, the passenger cells on both are completely intact even at 40mph. That is a massive amount of energy to absord.

The NHTSA tests are done at 35mpg IIRC, head-on, not offset like most real-world crashes.
    The Motor Trend site is really hard to navigate. I only saw 2007 or 2008 for the model year, so I wasn't able to search 2006.

If the results for 2006 are different, then I'd say they apply. If not, they just re-used old scores from the model with the 3MZ engine.
    The site itself says MODEL YEAR 2008 and it is the NHTSA website so why even debate what year it really was. No reason for the NHTSA to put the model year in the title if it wasn't for that year.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/template.MAXIMIZE/menuitem.416f74e861- - - - - 3992381601031046108a0c/?javax.portlet.tpst=4427b997caacf504a8bdba101891ef9a_ws_M- - - - - X&javax.portlet.prp_4427b997caacf504a8bdba101891ef9a_viewID=detail_view&itemID=0- - - - - 99aaf2f62196110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD&viewType=standard&detailViewURL=/portal/- - - - - site/nhtsa/template.MAXIMIZE/menuitem.416f74e8613992381601031046108a0c/!69237953- - - - - 3!2136375818?javax.portlet.tpst=4427b997caacf504a8bdba101891ef9a_ws_MX
    No need to yell, I understood what you were saying. I just disagree.

And here is proof that it's wrong:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/toyota/sienna/crash_test_ratings/index.html

The '06 has identical numbers to the '08. So indeed they just copied data from one model year to the next.

Just as I expected.
    In order to get close to the specs on an Odyssey EXL, the dealer said they could install a backup camera on a Sienna XLE. Is there any "problem" with doing this? By that, I mean, is there a higher chance that something will be messed up later because it wasn't done at the time the car was being built? If they do install it, the cost of the Sienna XLE, with evp3 will still be less than the EXL w/RES.
    All that proves is there was no improvement from 2006. Just because the numbers didn't change doesn't prove they "copied anything, and since they specified on the report it was model year 2008, you will need to produce real proof not just a supposition.
    The real proof is that the NHTSA said they tested 2008 models and unless you can show it was not, then it is all conjecture on your part. Oh wait, it's a giant conspiracy to use old models but say they were current....LMAO...
    I disagree, the numbers are identical, yet the 2006 and 2008 models are not.

There would be at least a small change given the totally different engine.

What it proves is that the NHTSA only tested one of those models, yet Motor Trend is publishing the results as the same for both. They don't even crash test cars, so they're not the authority here, NHTSA is.

NHTSA did not crash test both. This is a fact, not my opinion.
    Ask them if they have to splice wires - if so you run the risk of electrical problems down the road.

I sort of doubt it, but it depends on the manufacturer of the Nav system.

I shopped for aftermarket systems, and a backup camera is usually a $99 add-on option, so this should be cheap. The video feed is run to the back of the GPS. It can turn on when the reverse lights are activated, so that's also relatively easy to figure out.

I think Toyota offers reverse sensors that beep from the factory. I think a backup cam would be great to line up a trailer, though, if you tow.
    I would never need to tow. I just thought it would be a good option to have since I'm going from a smallish SUV to being a van driver. ;-) Considering they told me it'd be over 1K to have it dealer installed vs. $99, it sounds like there's no way I should have them do it. Thanks.
    Again you are ignoring the link, it is not from Motor Trend it is from the NHTSA and it is their own heading saying it is the Model year 2008, not Motor Trend. However if you think anyone buys your unfounded and unverified "proof" then go on, it really is in the link for anyone that wants to read for themselves. You have no proof, no verifiable source document, no listing to support your "proof". The link however goes directly to NHTSA.gov's own website and it is their study. All vehicle manufacturers must submit vehicle to the administration for testing, so if Toyota wanted to dispute the results they have every opportunity, so far you haven't produced that thread either. So NHTSA says model year 2008 on their web site, no Toyota dispute of facts found, your Proof" has no positive basis for providing proof other than your supposition of same results.

I'm through with you and your suppositions. You have no proof and it makes not sense to talk to a one way street.
    I got a fish-eye lens, basically a piece of thick plastic film you wet and apply to the rear window. A lot of shuttle vans have those. I think it works well and it cost me $20 or so. Got it from AutoZone.

I didn't want to pay $2000 for a built-in GPS, my Garmin Nuvi 260w does just fine and was $149 with newer maps.
    Sorry, I can't see what you are referring to because your link is broken. :confuse:
    Searched on my own, since your earlier link didn't work, here is NHTSA's 2006 results:

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/safercar/menuitem.db847bd57e3dc1f885dfc38c35- - a67789/?vgnextoid=c95df2905bf54110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD

Those are exactly the same for 2005-2008, but they shouldn't be. 3MZ vs. 2GR engine block, plus the other differences I mentioned.

For 2005 they even show a photo of the same exact red van. Also in 2006. And 2007. And 2008. I bet it still shows up for 2009 and 2010 models as well. NHTSA is just recycling old information.

Think about this - you're saying they tested a 2008 model, yet the 2005 has the exact same results, exactly. Same color, even.

Head Injury Criterion: 473 driver, 404 passenger
    Chest deceleration: 45 driver, 39 passenger
    Femur load: 829/774, 826/770

Perhaps they got a time machine, tested a 2008 model, then want back in time and rated the 2005 model the same way.

I'm kidding, of course. :D

Don't say you don't have a sense of humor because a couple of posts ago you said you were "LMAO".
    Not sure why you seem to have it out for me. Did I offend you in some way? :confuse:

I think my point has been very valid all along. NHTSA tested an early Sienna, with those exact results first published in 2005, with a photo of the same red van, results they are still using today.

You wrote:

MODEL YEAR 2008 and it is the NHTSA website

Yeah, same as MODEL YEAR 2005, so why shout about it?

you will need to produce real proof not just a supposition

Go to safecar.gov, click on Start Here. Search for 2005, then 2008. Identical. Copied. There was no new test.

unless you can show it was not, then it is all conjecture on your part. Oh wait, it's a giant conspiracy to use old models but say they were current....LMAO...

I showed they re-used 2005 results. Common sense is good enough for me.

As for conspiracy, maybe it was me who snuck in on the assembly line and changed all of the engines to the 3.5l without Toyota noticing that the 3.3l had been replaced. After all, I really wanted that 266hp! :D

you are ignoring the link

As mentioned above, it was a broken link, there was nothing to see at the time.

You have no proof, no verifiable source document, no listing to support your "proof". The link however goes directly to NHTSA.gov's own website

The same site shows the 2005 results. safecar.gov is the link.

I'm through with you and your suppositions

Review all the things you said above, and that's probably a good thing, I've had enough of your Haterade.

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    These are actual quotes by the same guy!

Nahhh... the name is spelled different. Post on toyotajunk.

The top of the line Ody had the nicest looking interior of any minivan I've ever sat in. But, I went with the Mazda MPV, which is heads and tails better than both the Ody and Sienna put together. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOMING outta here!
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Those had ingenious 2nd row seats that would slide together and apart. Perhaps the only seats you could move around with a child seat still secured.

A bit small and low on power with no gains in fuel efficiency. Still, it's too bad Mazda didn't update it. We got the CX9 instead.
    A bit small and low on power with no gains in fuel efficiency. Still, it's too bad Mazda didn't update it

Well, they updated it... but just didn't offer it for sale in the U.S. I think it is sold in Japan and Asia under a different name. Much stronger engine as it is turbocharged, or maybe supercharged, updated with latest electronics and safty features.. slightly bigger with reclining second row captain chairs.. I think it would sell well against the Ody and Sienna if mpg improved... not sure what it is now.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I test drove an MPV a while ago, also a CX9 when those came out.

The CX9 gives up lots of space compared to vans, it's not even close. That plus gas mileage isn't nearly as good.

Mazda lost a sale. I do love my Miata, though. :shades:
    Check your own site, enter the 2006 and 2008 side by side...review the options and standard equipment listed in the information and you will see several updated items....in addition items like additional webbing are different, and then the items now standard in 2008 that were options in 2006 or vice versa are listed.

Many sites reuse pictures but as stated on the NHTSA site these are 2008 model year tested vehicles, so again, even your supposed proof can be refuted because as mentioned the equipment lists are updated.

So unless you can prove that those results are from the same test of the old model year you have nothing but a ridiculous supposition that "common sense" just doesn't cut it.

Yeah I have an issue with people like you that make truly stupid remarks and then try to justify when called out. You are like an old woman...all talk... "common sense"...blah blah blah, but no proof and the crap you use to support also has no proof, yet the information you question is right there in black and white. If Toyota thought that was bogus they would be all over it....so now I am done with you. You have nothing to provide worth reading or responding to. reading all your posts I realize you are either lonely or a pumper, either way a waste of time. Harsh yeah, true definitely
    ...any big changes coming soon?
  • toyojunktoyojunk Member Posts: 19
    Excellent summary in last sentence. It makes no sense to talk to a one way street typical of Sienna owners.
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    I've searched through the regulations.gov web site for the full vehicle crash reports (Painfully incompetent web programing BTW. Are these really the people we want running our healthcare system?). The most recent frontal impact report is 2005 MY and side impact report is 2006 MY.
    Those reports can be fount here and here.
    If there were any more recent tests done, I cannot find them.

I would think that if there was a significant redesign of the engine mounting and firewall that a retest would be called for. On the other hand the folks at the NHTSA may have looked at the redesign and made a judgment call that the changes would not significantly change the impact test results. They do have a limited budget to work with and I'm sure cannot afford to test every model every year so they have to make judgment calls on what and when to test. I have to agree with ateixera that the data they are giving for 2007 and later are copied over from previous years and not specific to those MY.
    enter the 2006 and 2008 side by side...review the options and standard equipment list

Now you are changing the subject, we were talking about crash test ratings, not equipment. If they updated that, great, but the fact is they have not updated the crash test results since they were posted for model year 2005.

Here's proof again, in case you missed it:

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/safercar/menuitem.db847bd57e3dc1f885dfc38c35- a67789/?vgnextoid=c95df2905bf54110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD

NHTSA shows the same van with the same crash test results, in 2005.

Still believe the time machine conspiracy theory?

All along, my one and only point has been that NHTSA is wrong. You seemed to take that personally, and have thrown all sorts of attacks at me, now you're calling me names.

This isn't about you, or me, it's a government agency that has made an obvious mistake.

Bottom line: the 2005 and 2008 models cannot have exactly the same results.

This is true whether I'm a stupid, lonely, or an old woman, all that is irrelevant. NHTSA made a mistake.

I stand by what I've been saying since the beginning.

Let me ask you something - do you think it's possible for the 2008 and 2005 models to have the exact same crash test results? Exactly?
    It makes no sense to talk to a one way street typical of Sienna owners

Let me remind you that you are one of them.
    Painfully incompetent web programing BTW

Absolutely, agreed 100%.

The most recent frontal impact report is 2005 MY and side impact report is 2006 MY.

Thank you, thank you, for taking the time to fish through that awful web site.

So the bottom line is I was right - they have not tested any post 2007 model with the 2GR engine family. :shades:

So much for me being stupid, lonely, and an old woman.

Perhaps certain folks here can start showing some respect for others. Not that I expect an apology.... :blush:
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Ahh, Juice, you know that only stupid, lonely, old women drive Miatas ;)

Wait, what does that make me? :shades:
    :D

My next door neighbor has both of these vans, one Ody and one Sienna, and I found out he just traded in the Ody and got a 2nd Sienna.

He has 4 kids so the 8th seat appealed to him. They need all the seating they can get!
    He has 4 kids so the 8th seat appealed to him. They need all the seating they can get!

Has someone explained to them how that happens? :shades:
  • yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    As the father of 3 children within the first 5 years of my marriage, I've heard that comment made to me before. It is not original or funny, it's insulting.

It may be a foreign concept to you, but some of us actually enjoy our children and want more than the culturally accepted two. The nice thing about our 8 passenger Sienna is that if we spread them out we can fit up to six before we have to go to a larger van.
    Lucky for you my comment wasn't directed in your direction. It was at juice, who I've been posting alongside for years now. I think most people who've been around here awhile know I tend to be pretty PC, and objective. If I was intentionally insulting, and did that regularly, I don't think the hosts would've allowed my 9,200 posts around here.

And, lighten up a little- that's what the " :shades: " is for. It wasn't a slam at anyone with multiple kids.

Anyway, like I asked earlier (and this is directed to all)... when are some notable changes coming around?
    I don't think the hosts would've allowed my 9,200 posts around here.

I just checked... you've got 9,198 posts. Sorry, your credibility is now shot. :P
    My cousin also has 4 kids. She has an 02 (I think?) Ody LX. She loves it, but they can only squeeze in one friend. Back then Odys were selling for MSRP, remember those days?

Their LX cost them $25 grand. Today she could get an EX for less.

We have two and my wife seemingly asks me every day if I want to have another. I think she'd be thrilled if I said Yes. I guess I'm happy with the status quo.

We do have a full-time nanny so most of the time we're carrying 3 people in the 2nd row. The nanny sits in the middle so the kids don't fight, that seems to work well.

If we had a 3rd I'm not sure how we'd do it. Maybe the big kids in the 3rd row, and the nanny and infant in the 2nd row, with that middle seat folded down as a table?

Actually, it might be better to slide that middle seat forward and put the baby there, so mom could reach the child, too.

Pretty cool to have 3 individual seats that slide fore/aft and recline. One nice thing about that position is the outboard passengers have extra shoulder room, since the middle seat is well forward of theirs.

Plus the baby would be exactly in the middle of the car - the safest possible location, with plenty of crumple space on all sides.
    I don't think I explained that well, let me share a pic of the Sienna's "front and center" location for the baby...

It is too big, just click here:

http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2010/sienna/gallery/full/2009-Sienna-15.jpg
    Yep! A liar and baby-hater. That's me.

;)

I personally can't wait to be a parent; there's that whole "marriage" thing first though; at 21 (22 on Monday) I'd say I've got some time!
  • mimishepmimishep Member Posts: 1
    where can i get an ex for under 25K? Every dealer starts out over 30K, and look at me like I have five heads when I tell them that I cannot go over 27K.
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Buy a pre-owned or a certified one. :shades:
  • saz_1saz_1 Member Posts: 30
    I've driven both the Sienna and the Odyssey. I live in the DC Metro area. I like the idea of AWD because of the extra safety it gives, but I've heard that because the engine is heavy at the front, it doesnt offer too much additional protection vs the non-AWD Ody. I prefer the Ody in most other respects. Any advice?
    I'm not sure, check the Ody prices paid thread, I guess. People brag about prices like that, though inventories are down so maybe not right now.

In 2007, when I was shopping, my best e-Quote was $26,584 with fees and freight. I'm sure I've seen better than that since then, though.

My cousin added a 6CD changer (dealer installed) plus a roof rack to her 02 LX so it's a wash. The EX comes with those IIRC.