Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    Yeah but you're talking about little stuff. The major things like power doors, sunroof, etc are still generally grouped the same - now similar to the Odysseys. It was easy in the 2010 Sienna to just add the power doors thru an option package that wasn't prohibitively expensive.

One reason I like Honda vs Sienna - Honda doesn't put all that FUGLY wood trim all over their upper models. I've got many other reasons after driving the 2011 Sienna and 2010 Odyssey. Odyssey ain't perfect but for me it checked more YES boxes and hardly any NO boxes, while the Sienna had quite a few NO boxes....
  • m3_petem3_pete Member Posts: 1
    I test drove an 07 Ody last month and noticed that the brake pedal traveled about 4 inches before the brakes began to catch. I even said something to the salesman about having to depress the brakes farther than in any car I've driven in recent memory.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm not a fan of plood either, but the alternative is fake metal, pluminum?

Doesn't bother me like it bothers you.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    Honda is recalling only 2007 and 08 models, correct? What about 2009 and 2010 models? Was something changed for the newer models, or have they just not been on the road long enough to develop the braking problem?

In other words, how do people who buy a new one know that this won't happen to them in a year or two? :confuse:
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Perhaps they are using a modified stability control system that doesn't have the same issue??
    Out of curiosity, I checked for any recalls on 2009 or 2010 Odysseys and found there is a recall on a small number of 2009 models for brake problems. It states that a hose was installed incorrectly and should be replaced.

All this stuff makes you want to buy a bicycle instead! ;)
    Automobiles are so complex, there are so many things that can go wrong. It's amazing, really, how reliable they are in general.

Keep in mind these problems are typically observed on a tiny percentage of cars and then they are addressed.

Imagine if you owned the one and only, say, Bugatti Veyron. You would have to find any flaws yourself.

Then again, being in a Bugatti wouldn't be so bad. :D
    Oh, I agree completely! I wonder about the mechanics who have to work on these complicated machines. People seem to think they should be able to wave a magic wand and make it all work perfectly.

Now, about the Bugatti.... I think I will stick with something tamer. I'm much more of a minivan grandma than I am a sports car person. You should read some of P.J. O'Rourke's old pieces he wrote about cars. Funny stuff.
    How about a Renault F1 minivan, then? Remember that concept?

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2010
    Cool, but the front half of the canoe rack fell off. :P

Steve, visiting host
    Great concept. :shades:
    I'm not at all sure what to make of that vehicle! :confuse:

I am getting very close to buying a 2010 Odyssey EX. I'm so excited! Dogs, grandchildren... load 'em all up! :)
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    The biggest issue for me in comparing the '10 Ody to the '11 Sienna is interior legroom. I'll have to pull the numbers tonight, but the '11 Sienna had about 5 inches less legroom in the 2nd and 3rd rows combined--that's a lot. You really have to question why on earth a new vehicle that is larger than its predeccessor and has a longer wheelbase than its competitor would have way less legroom.

I haven't driven the new Sienna yet, but I like the dash layout. I would say that the carpet is noticeably cheaper than the Ody, as is the headliner material. Then again, the Odyssey has some of the best interior materials in terms of quality that I've ever seen on a non-luxury segment vehicle--and even better than some in that category. The quality of the plastics is the best in the business by far.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    I have not focused on the legroom of the 3rd row. But, I'll say that the legroom in the first row and 2nd definitely with the tracks putting the seat way back (and almost eliminating 3rd row legroom) of the 11 Sienna is far superior to that of the 10 Ody. That is key for me and my tall and soon to be taller children.

Also, you have it somewhat wrong - the 11 Sienna is 1 or 2 inches Shorter than the 10 Sienna - that's a key consideration for my garage.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    I said larger, not longer---the Sienna is wider so overall it is slightly larger. More importantly for legroom though, the wheelbase is longer. So I'd expect it to have more room, not less.

Obviously if you put the 2nd row way back, it will have more room in that row--but a lot less in the 3rd. So I guess it depends on how you use the van.
  • lyndapyrlyndapyr Member Posts: 10
    I recently totaled my 2007 Odyssey. Once again my mind started the age old hassle of Honda vs Toyota.
    I thought I had no choice but to go with the 2011 model ( since I could not wait on the Ody) but after going to the dealer-- I had to think again.
    I had been on trip with a friend who had a 2008 Sienna EXL and some of the features I really liked over my 2007 Odyssey were missing in the 2011 and to me the leather and carpeting and headliner just did not seem to have the same quality and I cringed when I saw those greatly touted tracks to slide the second row up and back so much.
    I kept thinking how long before my grandkids had junk stuck down in those tracks and could not put a barrier over them or lose the option. I wqaws excited about the one hand 3rd row seat manuever but as the salesman and I kept trying to do it-- it was NOT all that different . So for me I went back to the Odyssey for this current purchase.
    See if you can find any bargains on leftover 2010 Siennas, too. It's the last van to have 8 true seats.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the 8th seat-- that seems like a really bad design to me on the 2011. that bolt holding the center seat to the captain chair and when it is removed it leaves that base for everyone to stumble over.
    edited April 2010
    Absolutely right (re: bolt and center console left on the ground.)

in the 2011 Sienna I test drove that had been in the dealer for 2 DAYS the rubber "gasket" on the drivers side seat whether that bolt attaches was already ripped....looked horrible....this big rubber gasket over a slot and its dirty and ripped.

Try again, Toyota-san engineer
  • geckomangeckoman Member Posts: 9
    I have a deposit down on a 2010 Honda Ody. I took a test drive while I was there and have a question. All the reviews are pretty accurate in what I experienced. It had great handling but I am concerned about the ride. It seemed like it drove stiff as a board compared to the cloud like feeling of other minivans.

For those that have an Ody what is thr ride like on long trips. Is it comfy? What about 2nd and third row passengers? Are they comfortable on long rides?

Thanks
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The Odyssey has always ridden nicely, if stiffer than its competitors. It rides softer than an Accord; a family sedan.

I've driven an Odyssey from B'ham, AL to OKC, OK on more than one occasion. Once was helping my family relocate, so the van was very loaded down. It was then I appreciated the buttoned-down feeling of the Odyssey, it wasn't bouncy but instead felt very controlled. It didn't beat us up, either.

I'm an Accord driver but I'm not "brand-loyal." I just helped my parents buy a Taurus, and I'm eyeing the new Sonata.
    The Sienna's smoother ride is one of the reasons we bought it.

We stayed with some friends in Tucson just before we bought ours, and they have an Ody. When I sat in the back, over the rear axle, I ended up feeling a bit of nausea, though it could have been because I wasn't looking out at the horizon. There's also more road noise.

I felt it handled better (they let me drive it once), but you definitely sacrifice ride comfort and road noise for it.

Ody = better for the driver
    Sienna = better for the passengers

I was outnumbered, so we got a Sienna.
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    Are you coming from a Toyota? If so, it might take some adjustment since Hondas have much stiffer suspensions than Toyotas. That being said, I just took a 4 hour ride over the weekend and I and my passengers felt plenty comfortable.
    edited April 2010
    I owned a 2007 Ody and just bought the 2010.
    When I test drove the Toyota in 2007 I thought it was great but then when I drove the Honda just seemed to hold the road better.
    My best friend has a 2008 Toyota Sienna ( she liked the cup holders better than the Ody)
    I recently took a trip with my 7 year old grandson and her 2 grandsons from Arkansas to Gulf Shores Al.in her Sienna. My grandson was sitting in the back seat and within about 3 hours he was complaining of his back hurting and he had never said anything about discomfort in the Ody.
    I just like the firmer feel myself- feels like I have more control- I have post polio syndrome and have lots of muscle pain and spasms and the Ody ride has never been a problem at all- maybe the firmness helps.
  • lizabethblizabethb Member Posts: 7
    I had a 2002 Honda Odyssey EX and was ready to trade it in for the '10 Odyssey EXL, but I decided to drive the Chevy Traverse and the 2011 Sienna XLE. I liked the Traverse but wasn't ready to give up the rear cargo space and sliding doors of a mini-van, and I was vvery surprised at how much I liked the Sienna! To me, it drives and steers effortlessly and is very comfortable. I like the position of the buttons to open the sliding doors and sunroof much better in the Sienna over the Odyssey...they are up by the rearview mirror so both the driver and passenger can get to them. I like the controls on the dash, leather steering wheel feel, back-up camera (very clear), the compass, storage bins, the sliding door buttons on the walls next to the rear door (very easy for kids), cargo space behind 3rd seat, and stowing of the 8th seat. Dislikes are the unremovable cupholder/tray between second row like everyone else (my kids have no problem stepping over), passenger seat manual position setting, and I can't figure out how to disable the rear AC controls--kids keep turning it back on to max heat and cold after I turn it off or sync it--manual shows how to do it with manual AC but not auto AC. Overall, I am very pleased with the smooth ride and quiet cabin.
    Did you end up buying it? If so, congrats.
    She called it "My 2011 Sienna" so I'm thinking she did.

:shades:
    Right in the title, DOH!

Congrats on the new Swagger Wagon! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A1n18oL5QA
    Still living life in the fast-lane with the 8-seat Sienna, juice?

Hadn't heard about it in awhile.
    It's crazy. The wife had a car pool going for my daughter's honors chorus. We were picking up FIVE other kids!

The logistics were too crazy. It's down to 3 other kids now. More manageable.

Once in a while my son or another sibling goes along, so we still often use all the seats.
  • van123van123 Member Posts: 14
    We just drove over the weekend to visit our son at college and to look at other colleges to transfer. all this added up to a 867 mile weekend of driving and I couldn't be happier with our 2010 Odyssey EX. I definitely appreciated the power driver seat. You can move the seat in so many subtle ways to make it comfortable on long trips.
    This was also the first time we had to use the air conditioning. It was very pleasant and not overpowering. The kids enjoyed it as well. They were able to adjust their vents so they didn't have to fell the air blasting on the. The only odd thing with comfort is you can't have just the rear windows down. You must have the front windows cracked as well otherwise there is a weird pulsing of air pressure in the van. Our 2007 Accord does this as well. We really appreciate the ability to roll the rear windows down. We had a 2002 Sienna which had only the tilt out rear wing windows. It was stuffy in the back!
    To answer geckoman, yes, the 2nd row seats are comfy for long rides. We heard no complaints from our 17 and 19 year old kids over the whole 3 day trip.
    Thanks! I've only had it a week but I am really happy with it.
    When the second row windows are down, try opening the rear vents. This should get rid of the pulsing air pressure without having to crack the front windows. I just got a 2011 Sienna, and that seems to work for me.
    edited April 2010
    We had a 2002 Sienna which had only the tilt out rear wing windows. It was stuffy in the back!

Back then that was the norm. Since 2004 the Sienna has had 2nd row windows that go down. Important for sight-seeing, which we do a lot of in ours.

Sienna actually has an edge here over the Ody - I have 3rd row power venting. Do the Odys vent at all, manually? I know it didn't have power when I shopped (2007).
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    No, the Odyssey 3rd row windows don't vent. You are correct, Sienna has an edge here.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I have lost sales to Sienna becasue some people like a mushy, floaty ride.

I'va also had people tell me the ride of the Sienna made them carsick.

The Odyssey is a lot more taut and it will handle better but they do have a firmer ride.

It's all a matter of what you like.
    Exactly. There's not a "best" van out there, just choices, and I think these two are two good ones.
    I have lost sales to Sienna becasue some people like a comfortable, isolated ride.

Fixed that for you.

I seriously doubt a customer who prefered it would call it "mushy".
    Call it what you want.

Some people like their minivans to ride lke a Buick and some people perfer a tightter suspension.

And, yes, I have had customers returning from driving a Sienna (and Camrys) too and use that term.

No one car will please everyone.
    My point was, if they are PLEASED with the ride then they wouldn't be calling it MUSHY.

Of course not.

For me, the Ody has more road noise and simply isn't as isolated. You feel and hear the impacts more.

I find it funny that a lot of Honda fans have a lot of trouble acknowledging any advantages whatsoever.

Ody handles better. I'm not afraid to admit it.

Sienna rides better. Try getting an Ody owner to admit that. Won't happen.

Why is that?
  • gmechocgmechoc Member Posts: 4
    I find it interesting that you say people get car sick. That is the first thing I experienced with I rode shotgun in the Sienna. I thought maybe it was just me. Does the new 2011 model ride the same way? We are struggling between an Odyssey and Sienna.
    Because Odysseys are awesome and Siennas stink

but seriously I have driven my Ody for several hours at a time on highways and I find the ride to be just fine. To me, a more floaty ride is much more tiring as you're constantly having to correct the car to stay going in a roughly straight line. I haven't found the bumps to be too harsh....but then again I have always owned Hondas and BMWs, and never Toyotas or Buicks, so you know which side of the debate I naturally fall on......
    They weren't PLEASED!

They cam came back to me and bought Odysseys or Accords !Yes, Hondas have more road noise than Toyotas do and some people are bothered by this. I have had two different customers actually bring decimal meters and compared. The Toyotas are a buit quietier but not that much. The noisy tires that Honda insists on using have a lot to do with this.

"Sineea rides better". Totally subjective. If a softer floaty ride is what you want then yes, they ride better. If you want a connection with the road and better handling, Honda wins.

I guess this is why restaurants have menus. Everybody has a diffrent idea about what is good.
  • daddylikesdaddylikes Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2011 Sienna XLE yesterday. For me the new Toyota is a win on ride and steering, but as others said it's a matter of preference.

One of the things I liked a lot more on the new Sienna is the brakes. They're tight and feel like they have good stopping power like my former sedan. I tried a few Odysseys, and I thought the brakes felt very mushy and when stopping I felt more like stopping a big heavy truck than a car. I think Honda has a recall currently for fixing an issue where the brakes get mushy over time, but I had the same feeling when test driving new 2010 Odysseys too.
    They weren't PLEASED!

They cam came back to me and bought Odysseys or Accords !

That's not what you said. You wrote:

I have lost sales to Sienna becasue some people like a mushy, floaty ride.

Noone likes a mushy ride. That's simply absurd.

Sienna buyers enjoy the cloud-like isolation and tomb-like silence that makes it restful for a baby to sleep and perfect for the kids to watch a movie in the back seat.

If you had a slipped disk in your spine, would you want the tighter suspension, or the cloud-like isolation?

Everybody has a diffrent idea about what is good

Yes, but even compliments you pay are back-handed. Shame on you.
    edited April 2010
    I haven't driven the 2011 models yet, but I'd say you should try the SE model.

At this point, though, I'd wait to see the 2011 Odyssey, since it's so close.
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    .... and why there are different types of mattresses!
    For the record, I sleep on my side and need a softer mattress.

My mom sleeps on her back and needs a firm one!

I've never referred to my mattress as "mushy", however. Mashed potatoes are mushy, my mattress is accommodating.
  • daddylikesdaddylikes Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    Well actually the person who tried to sell me an '08 Odyssey called the brakes "like soap".

Anyway, I'm sure Honda will strike back later in the year with the '11 Oddy, but right now I love the Sienna most. The Oddy's sideway's sliding seat would have been nice though.
    edited April 2010
    Well, let me carefully choose my words so I won't offend you.

Yes, I said that. Let me clarify.

I have LOST sales because some people preferred the ride of a Sienna.

I have MADE sales because some people didn't like the ride of a Sienna.

O.K.?

I totally don't get your last comment.

Everybody DOES have different preferences. It doesn't mean that people who feel differently are wrong. The mattress comment was a good one.

What you call "isolated", I call "mushy" or "floaty"

Lastly, I think everyone should drive what they like, not what someone else thinks they should drive.