Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Oddy's sideway's sliding seat

You can lift it and move it over, but the only one that actually slid over was Mazda's side-by-slide seats from the defunct MPV.

That was a nice feature that competitors should have copied.
    I feel like ride vs handling is usually a trade-off. In most cases to improve one you sacrifice the other.

Lexus makes cars that ride smoothly but many of them can't handle worth a darn. The exception is the IS-F, which handles great, but has a brittle ride that'll loosen your fillings. It's all about trade-offs, preferences as you mentioned.

C&D scored the Ody one point higher (out of 10) for handling, and the Sienna one point better for ride. I agree, in fact that about sums it up nicely.

I haven't driven the 2011s. Supposedly the new Sienna handles better, and the SE has quicker steering ratio (all models have quicker steering, the SE more so). Maybe when the new Ody arrives I'll drive them both, I'm just not in the market right now.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Speaking of which, has anybody heard when the SE will hit the lots? Has anyone seen one yet?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Just looked and Fitz has 4 Limiteds, a bunch of XLEs, and even more LEs.

No SEs yet, good point actually.
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    edited April 2010
    I had one salesman tell me he was to have one start production April 2, 2011. I don't know if has arrived at dealership yet.
  • gmechocgmechoc Member Posts: 4
    What is so different about the SE?
    Different suspension and steering.

Previews were positive, but let's see the production models.
    well, every lot I have been in has them. I think I will have to test drive one and see if it is still a soft ride.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    If they decide to firm up the ride, they will please some and lose others.

I just hope they continue to configure their seats as they have them now and I hope Honda doesn't mess wht their current system too much.
    In that case maybe my local dealer sold out of the SEs first.
    So you have seen several SE model Siennas?
  • hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    SE styling a little too ghetto for me - trying a little too hard to be "cool"

Its a minivan guys.....just accept that fact and move on......
    I don't mind it, but I know what you mean.

To be honest styling was #72 on my priority list when shopping for my van, right behind headliner texture. :D

Space, # of Seats, Comfort, Efficiency, and Power to haul it all were my priorities.

I like the "Swagger Wagon" ads because they sort of poke fun at the coolness factor. Would you really look cool getting out of an SUV with a diaper bag on your shoulder? ;)
  • eurotrash3eurotrash3 Member Posts: 8
    Fitz is now showing 2 SE's coming, one black and one white. Both are selling for close to sticker so looks like it'll be a little while before they're discounted.
    That'll last a day.

Ok, maybe 3 days.
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    No thanks. Unless I decide to transport only adults some day.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Yeah, for today only, you can pay $18 more to buy the Sienna I4 base than the Sienna V6 base ($25015 vs $24997)! Won't last long.
    They must be in the middle of updating pricing.

I'll take the V6. ;)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Do they make 4 cylinder Siennas??

If they do, I've never seen one.
    4 cylinder Sienna new for 2011. They were supposed to start production of the SE version and the 4 cylinder versions April 2010.
    I am a little lost here. What is the difference between the Sienna SE and the Xle and le models?
    LE, XLE, and Limited basically just add more equipment the higher you go in price. Like the outgoing Sienna the emphasis is on comfort.

SE is a new model with a stiffer suspension, huge wheels, and quicker steering ratio, plus the side skirts and a few other unique touches.

The 2.7l 4 banger from the Highlander/Venza is now available in base models.

Once again this is Toyota trying to be all things to all people, with the broadest range of models you'll find anywhere. Price range is sort of crazy - low 20s to mid 40s, though I believe it is still the only minivan to offer AWD and dynamic laser cruise control.

My guess is you'll find very, very few 4 cylinder models. It's more of a price leader for print ads.

The LE is the most popular model by far, and my guess is it will remain that way. I'm not sure what'll be 2nd. Some people want a van with everything (Ltd), and I'm not sure if the SE will outsell the XLE. Let's see.
    With expensive-to-replace 19-inch wheels and cloth+fake leather seats, I highly doubt the SE will outsell the XLEs.
  • hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    I think on the SE they stopped just short of putting neon under the car and adding those wheels that spin when you stop at the stoplight.....maybe they could also put on those fat exhaust tips that make the "blllaaaatttt" sound like guys do on their tricked out Honda Civics in Fast and Furious.

Maybe Toyota can get Vin Diesel to do a TV commercial for the new SE.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Well, he did drive a Sienna in "The Pacifier." :blush:
    Why would you need to replace the wheels? Did you mean tires?

As long as they're not run-flats, it would not bother me. I'm not sure if they are, to be honest.
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    1:49am UK, Saturday April 17, 2010

Huw Borland, Sky News Online

Toyota is recalling 870,000 Sienna minivans sold in America and Canada because their spare tyres could drop off into the road.
    The recalls cover 1998-2010 model year minivans sold in Canada and several US states which are known for their cold winters.

The Japanese carmaker said potential rust from long term exposure to road salt, in the worst case, could cause cables holding spare tyres in place to fail.

The firm needs to inspect some 600,000 two-wheel drive Sienna minivans sold or registered in America and 270,000 in Canada.

The recalls are the latest in a string that has marred Toyota's reputation for quality.

For the latest recalls announced on Friday, Toyota said the Sienna minivans should be inspected by dealers while Toyota develops a remedy.

US owners outside the "cold weather states" will receive a separate notice and may have their vehicles inspected and repaired if necessary at no charge, Toyota said.

The carmaker said it was unaware of any accidents or injuries caused by rusty spare tyre cables on Siennas.

But the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it had received six complaints of spare tires falling off the minivans.

The recalls in America covers the District of Columbia, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin and West Virginia.
  • chatmanrchatmanr Member Posts: 11
    I actually like the SE. My gripe is only on the clear tailights, the lack of DVD or NAV...how could they not offer that in a vehicle that is meant to transport people???
    Yes, I meant tires. It would bother me, especially when they cost twice as much to replace as the normal tires.
    I also like the SE. I don't have a problem with the clear taillights. They are on Lexis and other models.

Knowing how Toyota likes to make money, and the high prices they charge for options, I can't see how they will not put the NAV and DVD on the SE. As soon as this model hits the lots and dealers and customers become aware of this omission, you can bet there will be calls to Toyota to remedy this issue.
    Were I to purchase a SE or any 2011 Toyota, I would seriously consider putting 22" black rims, some neon glow (possibly purple) and at least one fart can (maybe duals) on the vehicle. Anything to make it non Mommy or Daddy Like. Do I ever despise that ad campaign.
    The ads are tongue-in-cheek, I find them funny from that angle.

They think they're cool but they're not. I like self-depricating humor.
    I hope so...the internet dealer told me they could install a NAV and DVD aftermarket version...but why would I do that when the OPTION should be available on ALL minivans IMHO...
  • mojdodyrmojdodyr Member Posts: 23
    Well, for starters - you can install much better aftermarket system for significantly less, than Toyota would charge you for that OPTION. Be happy and start looking - state of the art Pioneer 9100 would cost you roughly 1000$, plus nice 19" screen - another 200$, plus installation - 200-300$ and few wireless headphones at 20$ each - vs Toyota's Navi plus Rear Entertaining Package - invoice of above 4500.
    Say - THANK YOU, TOYOTA, FOR NOT INCLUDING NAV AND DVD.
    I agree, but that doesn't mean it should not be offered. Those options are cash cows for the manufacturers.

Also, that's not really an option for everyone who leases.

I got a 12" aftermarket DVD installed for $900 plus it came with 2 wireless headphones.
    Why can't I complain? This is a forum of thoughts and opinions, right? Besides, as ateixeira stated, it should be offered...what about those who don't want to risk voiding their warranty due to an aftermarket install?
    The rear entertainment systems should be a stand-alone option.

Even on the Honda you have to get leather first. Why? Make it $2000 and offer it on the LX. Bet it would sell.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    I thought on the 2010, you could get RES on the EX trim.
    Not according to my CR buyer's guide, which could be incorrect.

Can anyone confirm?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    According to Honda's website, one can get an EX with RES from the factory.
    Yep, confirmed here: http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey/price.aspx

However, how many vehicles they actually produced in that configuration is probably a better question. My gut feeling is not very many.
    Thanks, guys. They're not often wrong.

Last time I found a discrepancy, turned out they were right and the manufacturer's own brochure was wrong! :surprise:
    think on the SE they stopped just short of putting neon under the car and adding those wheels that spin when you stop at the stoplight.....

Just found out the side skirts are an option, so you can get an SE without those, FWIW.

LE V6 is the best value and likely what most people will get.
  • kingofnothinkingofnothin Member Posts: 14
    what about those who don't want to risk voiding their warranty due to an aftermarket install?

Does it really void the warranty? The full warranty or electrical or what? Does anyone have any idea about this with either Ody or Sienna?
    Circuit City installed mine. They said power was already in place, so it was plug and play. There was no splicing of wires, so nothing that would void a warranty.

They do have to cut the headliner but I haven't seen very many headliner warranty claims. :D
    Circuit City installed your DVD system in a 2011? Thought they went out of business a couple of years ago?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Juice (ateixeira) has an eight-passenger model that is a few years old, from the previous generation Sienna.
    Ok, that makes sense.

Certainly going to a CC or a Best Buy or a stereo shop is an option for entertainment systems. A problem is the newer the vehicle, the more complex is the existing electronic system. Sometimes there are issues when installing aftermarket electronics in the newer vehicles.
    My van is a 2007 model, so that was a while ago.

I'm glad I didn't buy the extended warranty! LOL! CC is long gone.

No matter, the overhead console is pre-wired. They just tap in to it as a power source. That's it. No splicing.

I don't see how that could affect any warranty. Might blow a fuse or drain your battery if it's not installed correctly, I suppose.

Ours has been perfect. It even remembers where the DVD was if you stop in the middle of the movie.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Does it really void the warranty? The full warranty or electrical or what? Does anyone have any idea about this with either Ody or Sienna?

The onus would be upon the dealer to prove that an aftermarket install damaged a component. For instance, installation of a nitrous system would have no effect if the radio died. But if you blow the engine and it can be linked directly to installation or use of NOS, then you're out of luck.