Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the AWD vs FWD with VSC + Traction Control board too (not to mention Snow/Ice winter tires).

Steve, Host
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    to stay with a Minivan (after some dalliance with Cross over SUVs), becasue of the car-like driving experience, extra room, more comfort, better MPG, and it was cheaper. I figured we would end up there, but I made sure she looked at the options (to avoid me getting grief down the road for her not getting what she really wanted).

Came down to the usual suspects, and wifee decided that she preferred the Ody, for a number of reasons. Nothing major, and she would probably be perfectly happy with the Sienna if she ended up with one, but overall she was just more comfortable with the Honda. I liked driving it better, and the seats were more comfortable to me, so I'm happy with her choice.

Only my 8 YO daughter seems to be unhappy. She wants the Sienna (even though she can't remember how to pronounce it, and has had some interesting variations on the name). She liked the power door buttons in the second row (can't blame her), and the 2nd row climate control set-up better. But, since whe doesn't have to drive it, and sure isn't paying for it, she's Overruled!

Now just have to see some of the colors in person (slate green and ocean mist), since of course the options that aren't around are ones she's interested in. So, if she can pick some color options, I get the joy of trying to find one and get some kind of deal. Hopefully she diddles areound for a while until the market factors tilt in our favor, but she would really like it before Christmas.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    It's obvious by the hyperlink that the Host is trying to nip any discussion of this here in the bud, but:

It's also obvious that a salesman told you this because it's NOT true. Traction control is a great thing when mated with FWD, but it's even better when it mated to AWD. Traction control and AWD are not mutually exclusive. Certainly, there are trade-offs, as Honda lovers here will anxiously point out, because the Odyssey doesn't offer AWD: AWD has a (slight) fuel economy penalty and potentially higher maintenance and insurance costs (though no higher than those on the big honkin' SUV you're driving now).
  • homer2005homer2005 Member Posts: 11
    Note the '05 Odyssey does come with a manual lumbar support adjustment. I'm told this is new for Honda? As the other member noted, it's worth driving both to see which is more comfortable for you.
  • hifisoftwarehifisoftware Member Posts: 69
    You should also add runflats as an additional drawback for Sienna AWD. If you get AWD you will have runflats and no spare. Unlike Honda PAX you can replace tires with regular tires, but there is no dedicated space for the spare. And from what I can see you really do not want to keep runflats, they are just too hard to find.
    Just a mouse-click away at the Tire Rack. Of course, they're not cheap--but neither is this van.
    It's obvious by the hyperlink that the Host is trying to nip any discussion of this here in the bud, but:

Nah, it's just that sometimes I repeat myself:

steve_ Oct 2, 2004 10:34am

Steve, Host
  • hawaii1hawaii1 Member Posts: 25
    Drove the 'O5 Sienna, bottom seat does not come out far enough under the legs. NO SUPPORT!! Nice, smooth ride but no way spending that kind of money when it's that bad. I drove 'O5 EX-L Odyessy better than the Sienna and 2002 Odyessy but still not great. We are going to still look around and other cars but might have to just deal with an achy back at times. Have looked at many smaller SUV's that have 3rd back seat, very little leg room even for kids in some of them.
    If seats are the tail that wags your dog, then I suggest you look at a Volvo (XC 70 wagon or XC 90 SUV). The seats in Volvo products are among the most comfortable in the world, IMO.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Don't buy a Volvo. Two acquaintances bought new Volvo's and each was in the Volvo dealership for repairs more often than any other 2 vehicles I have ever seen.
         Although my 1970 Dodge Van was THE worst vehicle I have ever owned, those 2 Volvo were much worse than my Dodge.
         All my Toyota vehicles have been very reliable. I have never owned a Honda but the Odyssey has more comfortable seats and is much more attractive inside and out than the Sienna (in my opinion).
    I've owned two Volvo's (a '98 and a '00), and they've both been quite reliable. Certainly they are not cheap to repair, and I would definitely recommend purchasing the extended warranty. My dealer gives loaners, so dealer visits haven't been inconvenient. And hawaii1's priority seems to be seats, and--whatever the reliability/repair ratings--I believe Volvos have the best seats. Far better than Toyota or Honda.
  • baileybradbaileybrad Member Posts: 33
    It is really odd that the driver's seat "length" came up. We owned a '99 Ody that we traded in on an '02 Ody. I just traded it for an '05 Ody yesterday (taking delivery in about 4 weeks).

I really looked at the Sienna doing all my research on the various packages. I had it down to an XLE with package 3 (all of the safety type items, that I still can't believe did not come "standard" on a vehicle line of this quality and price) and an Ody EX. I felt like it was going to a bit difficult to get a Sienna without ordering it special. The Toyota dealers were definitely in a dealing mood. Right off the bat, 3% over invoice and intimating that it could go lower. I still was checking and finally was able to sit in an XLE without any packages. I don't like testing a car that has more options or different seats ie., leather than what I am buying. I had counted on the Sienna having a larger area in the passenger seating area...it did. BUT the seat was much shorter than the Ody...at least to me. I walked next door the Honda dealership and sat in an '05 Ody Ex and made a deal on the spot. My '02 Ody Ex and $11,210 difference. I need to see an Ocean Mist Blue one this week and will then pick out the color. One other thing, with the way that Honda angled the dash area away from the front passenger there appears to actually be more usuable legroom.
  • krcinwesttxkrcinwesttx Member Posts: 6
    After a couple months of research, looking at 2004's, waiting for 2005's (Odyssey), and general flip-flopping we decided to go w/ the Sienna.

Each had features I liked, but it ultimately came down to 2 problems I had w/ the Odyssey:

(1)I just can't deal w/ the door track and extra seams on the Odyssey's rear quarter panels. These really bother me and give the profile an unfinished look IMO. I was sure the 2005 would not have these as everyone has moved the track up to the windows, but I was wrong.

(2)We wanted leather which on the Odyssey would require we get the i-VTEC w/ the Variable Cylinder Management system. This may be great technology that every V6 uses in the future, but I'm nervous about buying this system in its first year. (Just can't get the GM V8-6-4 debacle out of my head). The improved gas mileage was very appealing, however.

We bought a 2005 Sienna XLE w/ Package 6 (everything except NAV and DVD) plus $1100 in port installed options (floor mats, pin stripe, mud guards, etc) for $2900 below MSRP ($32,920).

KRC in W. Texas
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    There is no substitute for AWD. I recommend it for your situation.
    I do like the Volvo XC90, very comfortable seats just have to decide if it will be a big enough vehicle to transport 3 kids around. Also going to look at 2005 Chrysler Town and Country, three years ago seats were horrible don't know if that has changed. Anyone like this van? Never thought buying a vehicle would be such pain, (no pun intended) obviously trying really hard probably too hard to get a van because realistically with running kids around it would be so much easier so we'll see what happens. More nervous this time because we don't want to make a mistake buying another car like we did this SUV.
  • badgerfan1badgerfan1 Member Posts: 2
    The 2005 Odyssey is "THE Acura" of all vans. What I mean is simply this...if Acura, Mercedes, or any other extremely high-profile auto maker would build a mini-van, they'd have to use the 2005 Odyssey as their benchmark. WOW!!! I mean what an amazing vehicle!!! It's absolutely gorgeous as vans go, and the ride, handling, and class put this van so far ahead of whatever competition there is, everyone should experience this van ASAP wherever they can. I can't believe Honda improved something that was already far and away the best van on the road...Oh that's right, that's Honda for you...they keep making the best...BETTER>
  • badgerfan1badgerfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Besides being the best van on the road, the Honda Odyssey holds its value better than any other van. That means owning a Honda Odyssey will give you the best value for your dollar and cost you less than any of the other vans. It's foolish to buy any van other than a Honda Odyssey van.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I hope you are really a badgerfan and not just disguising yourself as me!

I have to disagree however, with your statement. DC makes very good vans with starting prices way under Odyssey, for those on limited budgets, and they are very good vans. And you can load them up luxuriously if you wish, as well.

If you keep your van a long time, none of them hold their value, though the money you save up front holds its value.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I don't think it's quite that simple. Honda still doesn't offer AWD nor can you make the 2nd row seats disappear.

When the 3rd row could disappear, Honda fans said that was the cat's pajamas, the only thing that mattered.

Now Dodge has an innovation and it's discredited completely.

So if you live in the snow belt and find yourself removing the 2nd row seats often, fact is there are better choices for you, plain and simple.

-juice
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Hmmmmm.....it appears that "badgerfan1" has only been a member here in Townhall since....today.

Is it possible that "badgerfan1" is really "revit" in disguise?

Now I'm wondering when "rorrr" will show up....
  • 4fun24fun2 Member Posts: 1
    I prefer AWD Sienna for my family to travel for all season most esp for winter. It's much comfortable than SUV, more spacious and safer ride for my kids. For AWD, safety and comfort for my family in number one priority for me and Sienna is my pick. It's very uncomfortable to drive the non-AWD ODY to Lake Tahoe this winter for family vacation. Think safety first before looks. It's your choice.
    AWD is also a better choice for those that tow. Try pulling a pair of jet skis up a wet, slippery boat ramp with FWD. The weight shifts to the rear so the front wheels are useless.

I'm not saying AWD is for everyone, but FWD is clearly not for everyone, either.

-juice
    Don't be confused by cheap imitations.

I remain the one, the original "badgerfan"
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    "The 2005 Odyssey is "THE Acura" of all vans... It's absolutely gorgeous as vans go, and the ride, handling..."

Interesting, when the Sienna was released, most reports were calling it "the Lexus of minivans"... The plush ride; the quiet interior; fit & finish; HID lamps and backup camera; etc. etc...

So by now we know that Sienna is the Lexus of minivans, and Ody is the Acura!

So you're excited about the best ride of the Ody, too? That may not be the case with most others. Handling, you're right, but Siennas ride is way better for most people, and the Ody's ride is way too firm for most.
    I disagree with both (Lexus/Acura of vans) primarily because those brands offer a ton more standard equipment.

Maybe when you're talking about Limiteds and Tourings.

-juice
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    I had a Subaru Outback for about 6 years in Minnesota. The AWD was great overall, but only IF the tires were also great. The OEM Michelins were compromised after only about 3.5 years and 40k or so miles - the thing would slide all over the road even with AWD in the winter (even though the tread looked and tested fine). Put on new tires - and it was great again.

So I'd argue good tires (like Nokian's) would get many people by even without AWD in general use.

So the main worry I have about the new Ody Touring is that you are stuck with the PAX tires. As far as I can tell, you can't put snows on it, or change over to better traction all-weather tires.

I've been trying to research the PAX winter capability (they have been around since the late 90's in Europe), but can't find any glowing reviews of them on snow and ice. I'm interested in how these things will do this winter on the Ody.

My '01 Sienna FWD with Nokian WR's is better than my AWD SUV with Duelers in low traction conditions. Honest.
    What if you mounted 4 new rims with snow tires, then ditched the lazy susan for a 5th?

Would it even fit?

Seems like someone in Fairbanks (they have snow already) is limited in their options.

-juice
  • hifisoftwarehifisoftware Member Posts: 69
    If you own a recent Honda (as I do, 03 Accord) you probably know that Honda had to add "jet oil cooling" for the transmissions. Apparently 05 models (including) Ody have this "jet oil cooling" preinstalled. Next year Honda will redesign transmissions. Since they are planing to redesign it, there is something not optimal about current one even with oil kit installed.

Read this info as you wish. TO me it's this gives a slight advantage to the Sienna that (as far as I know) does not suffer from similar problems.
  • stewbaccachewstewbaccachew Member Posts: 23
    well, think what you want, but it's no gimmick in my family. I have 3 small kids, so if I'm holding one of them and need to get the rear gate open to grab a stroller, I'm sure glad I have it. My wife and I use it ALL the time. I feel that's it's essential equipment.
  • acenjacenj Member Posts: 58
    I just bought the Sienna 05 XLE Ltd AWD w/ Navi.
    I paid 38800plus tax. I also waited to see the honda. Personally, not to keen on the box look, just my opinion. HOwever, I think if your comparing Touring vs. AWD Limited w/ Navi at the price point I got, there's no comparison which is the "better" buy IMO. I might add - we really wanted to be pampered in the cabin, the honda just didn't give us the luxo (ok, lexus like) feel.

At the end fo the day - they are both great vans and don't think anyone can really go wrong with either. WE're now 1000 miles into the 05, averaging 20mpg (combined city/hwy driving) and my wife & kids are still itching to go on road trips.

aceman
    I used to have a Bucky Badger decal on my old Tercel... then I foolishly bought a Voyager and then a Quest and ran out of stickers :-).

When the snow flies, good tires will make up for a lot of other limitations you may think your car has.

Steve, Host
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    Living in not too hilly midwest, winter tires provide all the go I need and give the added safety of STOPPING better than AWD! Plus they cost a fraction of AWD.

-murray (also in Badgerland)
    This Thread is the funniest thing I've ever read. Some people here need to grow up.

Guess what. Both Vans are Fantastic for what they are. Saying one is better than the other is simply crazy. Everyone needs to analyze their own needs and see what fits them best.

I wanted all wheel drive, so I got a sienna. If Odyssey had offered it, I probably would have given it a harder look, but they don't, so I didn't. period. If you don't want AWD, then go test drive them and make up your own damn mind.
    As far as price goes, they're reasonably close if you want them loaded as I did.

Just do yourselves a favor and go test drive em. It'll make you laugh at all this.
    Keep in mind that I have been a loyal Honda/Acura owner my entire life. I have an MDX still and am in love with it.

On my sienna.

1. The buttons on the door pillars are wonderful with the kids. They can be disabled if you need.

2. The location of the the door buttons in the middle up front are great for the passenger adult. Keeping them on the left for the drive only is silly.

3. The Rear Power Gate is absolutely essential with 3 small kids.

4. AWD - enough said.

5. The RES leaves a bit to be desired. I would have preferred if it were set up like the ODY and MDX up front. It also just seems cheaper than the honda system. But it seems to work just fine. Honestly, Both vehicles should have put in a dvd changer. The sound system in the Sienna is better.

6. The Sienna should have put the rear cliamte controls in a more central location instead of in the left mid row position.

7. The Sienna is more luxuruous feeling than the ODY, BUT Hondas/Acuras have that feeling of things being put together just a little better/tighter. Can't put my finger on it, but it's there. Like the plastics that Honda / Acura use seem a bit less cheap feeling and seem to fit together a bit better. Just an observation.

All this being said. I love my 2004 Sienna AWD XLE Limited.
    I, too, use winter tires. And my van is AWD. The combo is unbeatable.
    Haven't heard anything from you since you stepped in it with the 'gimmick' comment. Responses here regarding power lift gate seem to speak for themselves.

Maybe you can have some influence with salesperson feedback and tell Honda they stepped in it too, by not making this feature available on lesser models. At least with Sienna, it's available on 2 out of 4 (XLE & LTD).
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    Is it possible that "badgerfan1" is really "revit" in disguise?

Hate to disappoint, but badgerfan1 is badgerfan1 and revit is revit. Too funny, some sees Honda for what they really are and everyone assumes that they have to be the same person.

For all the people who seems to dislike Honda, they sure do seem to enjoy the Honda forum. Or is it deep down they really prefer the Honda Odyssey above all minivans?

Go Honda!
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    So by now we know that Sienna is the Lexus of minivans, and Ody is the Acura!
    WHAT??? If that is suppose to make any sense it doesn't, but it is obvious that the Honda Odyssey is still the benchmark; refer to Intellichoice, Consumer Guide, etc.

Go Honda!
    ""WHAT??? If that is suppose to make any sense it doesn't, but it is obvious that the Honda Odyssey is still the benchmark; refer to Intellichoice, Consumer Guide, etc.""

Yeah, that's what I do, let other people choose for me.

You sir have become such a joke in this forum that I hope you realize that nobody takes a thing you say seriously.

hey everyone, Guess what. I've owned 8 Honda / Acuras. Still have my MDX. And I bought a Toyota Sienna. WOW. and I love it. WOW. so don't necesarrily belive the hype. Go see them for yourselves vs. listening to people with closed minds.
    Let's focus more on the vans and less on each other please.

Steve, Host
    Can't we all just get along?....
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I meant to say that Sienna is Lexus with quietness, comfort, best quality materials, plush ride; while Ody is Acura with sporty handling, and mucho power. That's all. Forget about benchmarks here.
  • racerx1racerx1 Member Posts: 35
    This past weekend we purchased an 05 Sienna XLE Ltd FWD (no NAV/RES) over the Odyssey EX-L; we traded in our 2000 Odyssey EX. Initially, my wife liked the Honda driving feel, which is more car-like and what we were already familiar with. Dealers were not budging from MSRP.

In the meantime, I had been negotiating with a Toyota dealership. I had my wife test drive the Sienna and she surprised herself by really like the Sienna better - more luxurious, Lexus-like feel.

Both vans were very similar in style and convenience. My only nitpicks are:

Odyssey: Accelerator is sensitive and would be more difficult to modulate at lower speeds. It is very punchy which might pose a problem with winter driving. Also, the Lazy Susan is a cool thing but might be dirt collector since it is on the floor. My Odyssey always had a nice layer of crumbs, Cheerios and other food stuffs.

Sienna: Moving the 2nd row seats are a PITA. You have to lift them completely off the floor. The latches don't disengage easily and the chairs are not light. The Odyssey seats (at least in my 2000) could slide on the front rail to move. Thankfully, I don't plan on moving the seat often.

I think that they are competitive and any family would be happy in either van - the differences are minor/subtle. Once Honda starts selling below MSRP, it might be the better value. Also, I think Toyota might do itself a favor and limit the number of option packages - it gets confusing to make comparisons.
  • ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    "For all the people who seems to dislike Honda, they sure do seem to enjoy the Honda forum."

This is the Odyssey vs. the Sienna forum, not an Odyssey only forum. It appears as a "Sienna forum" as well if you enter the forums via Toyota and then Sienna.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    This is a GREAT year to be a Wisconsin Badger Fan.
        What could be better than a real Wisconsin Badger Fan driving a new 2005 Odyssey EX?
    "What could be better than a real Wisconsin Badger Fan driving a new 2005 Odyssey EX? "

A Badger fan crying as he drives away after CAL kicks their behinds in the Rose Bowl.

;-)
  • chiawchiaw Member Posts: 92
    Actually you are wrong on this.

Odyssye's PAX tires and rims are all custom. While the Sienna AWD uses run flats, you can use non-run flat with it.
    Seems Wisconsin has done pretty well in the Rose Bowl against PAC Ten teams in 1994, 1999 and 2000. Besides, both teams have a few games to play yet. I'm optimistic, but also realistic. Badgers could possibly end up in the BCS championship game also. Much too early to sort those things out.

I won't be driving away but, I may be flying away from the Rose Bowl happy! Besides, we still have a lot of years and miles left in our 1996 Caravan, which by the way has had no engine or transmission problems. Hopefully, there will not be a new van of any type in our garage for another 2-3 years.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Oh, I'm still here, just reading.

I hope people from Honda Corporate read these forums too and make changes based on input.

I still don't think a powered rear tailgate is "absoultly essential" but that's me.

I just keep reading and thinking...My God, what will people want next?