Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    I noticed that the MSRP has gone up by $100, the delivery charge has gone up $40 and the Accessories have changed. Can't find the GN (Cargo Net), CF (Carpeted Floor & Cargo Mats), and 3Z (First Aid Kit) accessories that I got stuck with. The big thing I noticed, though, is that the Tachometer that I could not get, now comes standard with the Manual Transmission; is this correct? If so, Toyota listened real fast to complaints that it must have been getting.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The tach was always standard on manual trans sedans - is that what you are looking at? Because I just "built" a LB on the website, and it still doesn't have a tach, nor is one optionally available. Nor did the '07 on my local dealer's lot last week have one.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    When I was building the MT LB, it came up as footnote #2 in the disclaimer section. I thought that since I was building a MT LB, it was applicable to a MT LB; apparently not.
    footnote 2 as well, which was always on there - it only applies to sedans.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    I guess we all have our wants in a car. I had a stick shift car and the only time I used the tach was to check when it idled funny. Nice to have..deal breaker for some though..even on ATs. Cruise is far more essential to me. But, there you go.
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Member Posts: 296
    Everyone is right =) No tach for the L/B yet.

I can honestly say it hasn't bothered me one bit not having it, and I'm still averaging 38MPG. After living without it over 2 months now, I don't even give it a second thought. It's easy :) . One of the easiest sticks I've ever driven in fact, very forgiving, and decent feel for a "non-sport" shift kit.

Would I spit on it if it had it? Of course not. Just never in a million years would it be a deal breaker because it doesn't.

Just my 2c :)

T

PS: Even though I didn't get side airbags, I still haven't been T-Boned... What gives ;) ?
    Tach and cruise - both are a deal-breaker for me. Even though this car is so right for me in some ways, there will never be one in my driveway. I will keep the Echo (in which I have aftermarket cruise) until I get tired of it, then move back to something that actually has a full set of gauges (I want a temp gauge again too, although this one is NOT a deal-breaker for me) and factory cruise. And alloys that I can get without spending $1800 on a "package" of junk I don't need, or $1000 for an extra set of rims from the parts department. Ditto ABS.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi all,
    You'll notice that, sitewide, we're moving toward smaller, more focused discussions. I've created some new discussions, changed some titles, swept the floor and cleaned the kitchen :)

Please visit the top-level Toyota Yaris group to see all of the discussions, and please feel free to create new ones that you think might be of interested. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

and I have to admit I stopped to look at a Yaris S sedan - power package with alloys, so it has factory tach and cruise, my two deal-breakers, and also has ABS - painted black and looking good. Not sure I want anything to do with the silly optional spoiler this one had, but the sticker (manual shift) was only $16,1 - it has the upgraded stereo and split fold-down rear seat too. I bet I could talk them into discounting it the $435 cost of the spoiler, and a couple of hundred more, eh? ;-)

Black's not my first choice of color, but I have a nasty feeling if I had driven by while they were open I could have been talked into trading my car in! :-/

Why oh why can't they option out liftbacks this way?

It would be nice to see optional 6-speaker stereos and moonroofs make their way into this model later on after the Corolla has disappeared into the $18-23K bracket...and standard ABS and side curtains of course...

• aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    In reference with what you wrote concerning the LiftBack, Nippon, I totally agree. I do believe Toyota will wake up to adding options such as more exterior colors, tach, maybe even an "S" model of its own to the LB.

The six speaker audiophile stereo (JBL, perhaps), moonroof, standard ABS/side curtains all will come soon, I hope, for the little LB critter. :D

I still say the Black exterior color should be a METALLIC finish paint, giving the Yaris more "drama" as sunlight strikes upon it, but that's my personal view.

Peace!

PS. . .The "spoiler" IS nowhere on such a machine, again speaking for myself- ;)
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ...I still say it's overpriced. And $18K-$23K Corollas? Is Toyota getting greedy? They'll never sell at those prices. Toyota is turning into GM, and they'd better be careful or they'll end up the same way!
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I really like Toyotas, having owned several since the late '60s. I've also owned Hondas and Nissans, but I agree with "bottgers" on the Corolla price inflation, and Toyota's price inflation in general. It's getting a bit much, especially when one can buy the top-of-the-line Hyundai Sonata Limited (a midsize, of course, i.e. a Camry competitor) with the DOHC V6, and with all its bells and whistles, for around $18,500 including their current rebates, but without TTL. And, for all the naysayers out there, I'm acquainted with a number of people who have over 200K on the Hyundais without any significant trouble.

I really like the Yaris, but no standard cruise control is a very strange marketing move in this day and age.
  • boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    Hi, new to the forums here.

I have test-driven two new Yarii liftbacks (both automatics) within the last month and was impressed by the Yaris comfort, interior room, handling, and peppy engine. I also liked the seating position and front leg room much better than the Scion Xa I tried out.

After researching the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Chevy Aveo, Scion Xa, Toyota Corolla, and Kia Rio as well as the Yaris, I've made my decision to order a new Yaris liftback in Meteorite Metallic with a five-speed manual transmission (I want the much better real-world city mpg).

Because Michigan dealers will not (or cannot) order one with a power package (I want the fold-flat, 60/40 seat that is tied to that package... Michigan dealers can only get liftbacks with the convenience package), I am ordering mine from an Ohio dealer. It will be pretty well loaded. I plan to keep the car 6 or 7 years, it has the cargo room I need (I have two good-sized sled dogs; need room for them back there), and I will be cutting my current automobile operating expenses in half (I current have a Jeep Cherokee), so I am not balking at paying the projected price of about $15,800 (not including tax).

I don't believe that any other car offers the real-world mpg, the build quality, and the versatility that the Yaris liftback does, in its price range. The Honda Fit is the only thing that's close.

Toyota is missing the boat on shipping so few liftbacks to the US (vs. sedans) and especially so few with the power package. The car has unique styling and a flexibility (in terms of cargo area, particularly with the fold-flat rear seat offered in the power package) that the sedan does not have. If I could make a sedan work for me, I'd look at the Corolla, but I can't. I need a hatchback that's well built, durable, and economical. And I prefer the styling on two-doors over four-doors too; two-doors look less frumpy.

The dealer in Ohio told me that I after I place my order, the car will take about two months to arrive. But I'll wait longer than that if I have to, if it means getting exactly what I want. Oh, and I plan to add an aftermarket cruise control and Nokian WRs right away as well.

Thoughts?
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    How about a used ECHO? About half the price (maybe less) and youd have money left over to add things if you wanted. (see nippononly)
    Well, the Echo didn't come in a hatchback, did it? I need a hatchback style because I need easy access and enough space for my dogs.

The Echo's styling is pretty awkward too, but I would probably look at it if there was a hatchback. I considered getting a used Matrix at one point.

I basically decided that I want the warranty and peace of mind that a new car offers over a long period of time, rather than buying a used one.
    They sold an ECHO hatch in Canada and I understand that some of them show up on used cars lots on the border. Im thinking given the excellent repair history of the ECHO that problems would be few, and if something did come up, you have plenty of money in hand to deal with it.
  • robertknrobertkn Member Posts: 94
    I think it's a good decision. Unless ones finances are pretty tight, you may as well just get a new Yaris. I found it difficult to locate an Echo at a good price that didn't already have a LOT of miles on it. I had a line on a decent one a month or so ago, but the seller wanted 10k and wasn't about to budge. That's almost the base price of a Yaris. Dealers and lots also seem to want a lot for Echos. No doubt, there are some deals to be found, but how long do you want to wait and go thru the hassle of driving all over the countryside to find one that you "hope" is good? Percentage wise there can be a big difference between the price of a used Echo and a new Yaris, but "dollar" wise there isn't necessarily that much difference. That's my philosophy.

Hey, could you elaborate on the Nokian tires? I've never even heard of that brand before. Thanks.
    Thanks. Regarding the Nokian WR tires, they are very highly regarded "all-weather" (as opposed to "all-season") tires... supposedly great in rain, slush, and ice and don't compromise much at all in terms of dry-pavement handling either. They come from Finland. For a so-called "winter" tire that has a severe-service (mountain/snowflake symbol) rating, they last a long time too. Low rolling resistance means no loss in mpg. For northern climates with a lot of freezing/thawing, they seem to be the ideal tire for safety. Owner reviews seem to confirm that.
  • mrrk47mrrk47 Member Posts: 104
    Lets pretend for a moment that I am a automotive journalists who reviews new cars for a living. On my docket for this week is a list of several cars, 2 of which are a Toyota Yaris and hmmmm....lets see...a BMW 335ci.
    So I make my schedule out and I arrange to spend monday and tuesday with the BMW and weds and thurs with the Yaris.
    After churning the 300hp rear drive 6cyl through highway 50 going up to Lake Tahoe, feeling one of the best hadling cars on the planet on the curvy uphill climb of the Sierra Nevada mtns, and also relishing in the wonderful German luxury I give it a absolutley stunning review and max a credit card out to afford the drive-off fee on a lease for a shiny new artic metallic 335.
    Then...I head back to the bay area of Ca and the traffic clogged freeways of the sprawl I call home and pick up my modest little polar white 07' Yaris who appears to be ready and willing to provide me with the function and usefullness the it was designed for. Wow what a different world I'm in now from the 335, I mean it's down right spartan compared to what I just drove. I know as a well-balanced journalist that I must be objective on all cars I test, but what a let down...this little(not fun to drive)econo car.
    I drive the high winding 4 banger around town and on the freways an listen to it's "loud" rev and I just can't get the "it's no fun to drive"phrase out of my head. The seats are adequate and the plastics are downright......hard, I can't believe anyone would plunk down 15,000 for this when they could just as easy write a check for 50,000 for a 335 even without the adaptive cruise...I therefore give it a so-so to poor review.(poor little white car)
    I know this is a bit extreme and probably doesn't happen like this, I would hope that auto reviewers are more objective that this. However, it seems to be that these guys drive these world-class machines and expect the Yarii of the world give the great value-mpg's along with a drive experience that is almost as good as a 335ci. In otherwords lighten up on this great little car that pretends to be nothing that it isn't!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The reviews I have seen, e.g. C/D's 7-car comparo and a comparo by cars.com of the Yaris, Fit, and Accent have compared the Yaris to cars in its class--not $50k BMWs. The reviews I've seen have been overall positive on the Yaris--praising its smooth ride (for a small car), fuel economy, and nice stick shift. They've also pointed out where they thought the Yaris was not as good as the competition. Let's be honest--it's not a perfect car, even a perfect $15k car.

Also keep in mind that the Yaris faces stiff competition--for example, the great handling and exceptional cargo versatility of the Fit, the people room of the Versa, and the standard safety features of several competitors. So while the Yaris earns reviewers' praise as a good little car, it's in an increasingly competitive class where just being "good" isn't good enough anymore. Think about it--in the past year, there have been six all-new or redesigned cars in this class.
    Did you hear that buzzing noise past your ear...that was my point! I wasn't being too literal by using the BMW as an example. If anything I was saying what's wrong with the car critic business is general. How can one be objective when one may drive every spectrum(late 80's chevy econo car) of car out there today. Ofcourse Motor Trend won't run a comparo that looks like this: BMW 335ci vs Chrysler 300c vs Toyota Yaris(base)or whatever.
    Additionally...good can certainly be enough for an individual. I will not pay 16,000 for a car that is about a foot shorter than the Yaris(FIT).
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    You are buying a car based on cost versus the inches (length)? Why not height? Fit is a number of inches taller than the Yaris. What about per pound? The Fit weighs a couple of hundred extra pounds.

So length is important, but height and weight aren't? You must think a used Taurus is a steal based on inches of length per dollar spent.
    Or maybe a used Suburban--now that would be the best value of all in terms of length and weight!

I think most if not all automotive journalists can tell if they are reviewing a $15k economy car vs. a luxury performance car. That being said, each reviewer and magazine has its biases, e.g. a preference for crisp handling vs. smooth ride. Just something to take into account when reading the reviews--grab the salt shaker. Just because a reviewer at a car mag prefers one car over another doesn't make the "losing" car a bad car for a particular buyer. Look how often the Camry has finished less than first in comparos. How many Camrys are sold every year? Lots. More of them than the cars that come in "first."
    I am buying car based on what I what to buy a car for, just like you buy for what you view is important. Along with length comes alot of other things..wheel base, leg room, back seat leg room, etc... . Are you backy's big brother? Actually a well kept used 2002 Taurus SEL with low miles would be a fine car, if you really want to know!
    I am interested in both the Yaris Sedan and the Fit. Both vehicles have their advantages and disadvantages. If the Fit provides both more passenger room and cargo space, shorter is definitely better. Why pay for a longer car with less space?
    I just did a comparo on interior space and the only 2 catogories the Yaris beat the Fit is in front and rear leg room...wonder why that was...could it be becuase it's a longer car...yup. You seem to be really into the length thing here...the truth is that the Yaris I feel is too short as it is..the Civic/Volvo S40 length is what I normally like, I chose a Yaris for economical reasons, now I just like it becuase it's a great car, so if the Fit is about a foot shorter then I'm really cool wit da Fit.
    I'm not sure where you live, but in Nor. Ca finding a fit is about as hard as finding a 3-legged buffalo nickel and if you do the Honda dealers up here really love to go msrp and if they can above it...so I didn't get a Fit for a few reason,plus a personal issue against giving Honda anymore of my business. I'm sure it's a great car, but I'm sooo happy with my base polar white sedan auto and the space inside is great for a small family(with a slightly bigger car as well.
    I got a good deal on my Yaris, a great wonderful dealer experience..so good in fact that I've already penciled in a Camry hybrid for 2011!
    Perhaps the Camry Hybrid will be obsolete by then if we see Honda diesels in the US.
    Well, that'll be ok...Toyota should have something similar and if not maybe I'll be over my prejudice against Honda.
  • rosebagsrosebags Member Posts: 10
    I'm thinking of buying a Liftback--but, of course, there are none available to test drive. I know that there are differences between the L/B and the sedan, including the interior dimensions etc, but are the front seats basically the same? I have read some reviews of the L/B complaining that the front seat is too short (distance from thigh to knee) and I'm wondering if it might be useful to sit in/test drive the sedan ( if the seats are the same as the L/B, that is) to get a feel for the L/B ride.
    Do any of you have complaints about the front seat? Thanks.
    One thing to keep in mind is that the sedan's driver's seat has a height adjuster and the liftback does not. So sitting in the sedan will not give you the same experience as sitting in the liftback.
    A bay area dealership had 3 listed on their site and my local honda dealer has 3 fit's sittin in front..wow!!!!
  • rocketman10rocketman10 Member Posts: 20
    Hi, you really need to test drive both the sedan and the L/B. I did and it become clear to me the moment I test drove the L/B that it is superior to the sedan for my needs. But everyone is different.

I found that you sit up higher, almost like in an SUV, with the L/B and you can adjust the seat backwards. Sometimes on a longer trip, I need that.

The sedan has a lower sit, in my opinion and the arm rest was too low for me.

I also have a greater ease with getting in and out of the L/B (I felt like it was too low in driving the sedan..like I was on the ground and the same with entry/exit.)

When I get out of the L/B I do so with relative ease. (oops. I should have said, I now own the L/B automatic in Blazing Blue with the CQ and All Weather Guard packages. I didn't order it with a bumper guard and arm rest but it came with both and I like the arm rest a lot and the bumper guard was only $65.00 and helps prevent scratches for putting packages in out of it the back of the L/B)

Good luck in your search:)
    It probably depends on your anatomy. I'm 5'-9"/155 and the seats are GREAT. My wife is a little shorter and she loves them, too. No issues with the height either. It you are 6'-4" maybe the seat would seem short. If you are 5'-1" maybe it would seem a little long. ;) Isn't there a dealer within an hour or so drive of your location that has a L/B that you could drive?

We love our liftback!
    I test-drove two different liftbacks and both times found the seating position to be nearly ideal for me (I'm 5'10"/180). Plenty of leg room, as opposed to what I found when I tried the Scion xA. In fact, the whole cockpit was spacious. I feel that the liftback is an incredibly versatile machine. I will soon be ordering a 5-speed model with the power package, ABS, and the side curtain airbags.
  • rosebagsrosebags Member Posts: 10
    Hi all--thanks for all your helpful feedback re the seats in the Liftback---especially as there are no L/Bs here in Colorado to test drive. A salesman at a major dealership here said that an L/B comes in so rarely, and then disappears so quickly, that he has yet to even see one! (Of course, he's the same salesman who told me that I should size up to a Corolla, because if I ever had an accident in a Yaris L/B, I'd be "squashed like a bug." Needless to say, he's not the person I'll be dealing with when I go to order the car...)

Anyhow, I'm pretty close to ordering one sight unseen. Thanks for your votes of confidence in the vehicle.
  • rocketman10rocketman10 Member Posts: 20
    Good Luck Rosebags!!

My only regret is that when I test drove my L/B automatic that I didn't take it on the spot. It was gone by the end of the day (I thought the salesmanger was giving me a line but he was correct..they go on the spot.) I came back a week later, ordered one on May 20th and it was here on July 6th and my salesperson was wonderful and she kept me informed every step of the way.

I love my automatic L/B in Blazing Blue. We have had lots of rain and it has done well in it without the antilock brakes. It is a great car with great personality and I get lots and lots of looks as I sit at a stop light..everyone smiles and you can see they are impressed with the vehicle.

I feel you will be very happy. Good luck and fingers crossed for you that your L/B comes in quickly:)
    "the same salesman who told me that I should size up to a Corolla, because if I ever had an accident in a Yaris L/B, I'd be "squashed like a bug."

As opposed to a manipulating rat like he is? ;)

I, too, had a negative experience with a condescending salesman who thought he was smarter than I was. I went across town and bought. :P
  • forrestshalomforrestshalom Member Posts: 26
    say, how are the brakes on the yaris? does anyone know the 60 mph stopping distance?
    Ouch. They sure downgraded the Yaris.

Well--after reading the article, my wife and I both came to the conclusion that a lot of the negatives were subjective. It was as though the reviewer was looking for every reason he could find to downgrade the Yaris.

The only serious negatives had to do with the tail wanting to break loose early in avoidance maneuvers and long stopping distances without ABS--although in the beginning of the article they commented that all of the cars reviewed (Yaris, Fit, Versa, Rio, Accent) had long braking distances without ABS. Maybe a change in tires would improve both problems--just a guess.

Here are the braking tests:
    From 60 mph, dry/wet ft. 139/151 (163/186 w/ manual trans)

Still love the Yaris, though, and just plain disagree with some of the reviewers subjective complaints.
    I haven't found the issue on the newsstands yet, but maybe one reason they hit the Yaris on stopping distances w/o ABS is because ABS is hard to find on the Yaris hatch? (But then it's also very hard to find on the Versa, and not available on the base Accent hatch.)

How did the Yaris finish overall compared to the other cars, i.e. how were they ranked?
    They are dirty rats!!!!!!!!!! I haven't read the article yet, but I can tell ya who won....The FIT!!!!! It's like they shouldn't even have these comparos, because Honda always , always wins...well except the last year of the previous generation Civic..but that loss was prefaced;"a better new Civic will be out next year".
    Honda seems to have a serious cult thing going on, it's like the could find a 1985 caddy cimarron and slap a "H" on it and it would MT car of the year...bullpuckey!
    And won't there be an all-new Fit sometime in '08? So the current version is soon to be obsolete, from what I understand...
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    What were the final rankings from the CR article?
    For the models tested in this issue:

With Auto: Versa, Fit, Rio, Accent, Yaris

With Manual: Fit, Rio, Versa, Accent, Yaris
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Any chance you can copy/paste the text in here?

Actually, this ranking matches with other reviews I've read and on my thoughts. For me, the Versa & Fit were tied as my #1, and I really didn't consider the Rio, Accent or Yaris. The manual transmission on the Versa isn't supposed to be so good, but the CVT is good. I liked the Versa too with CVT and antilock brakes, but because of it's unavailability, I went with the Fit. It's funny how the Versa can go from 1st to 3rd place just because of the transmission. Maybe the manual was only an S version?
    Those guys are boboheads at CR, they should rank them according to resale value, reliability, piece of mind, and the stigma points(based on the stigma of driving around a freakin' KIA) other than the ultra-cool Sorento , ofcourse.
    They DO rank on reliability, sort of. A car can't get Recommended by CR unless it has at least an Average reliablity record. And they rank cars for reliabililty in detail, but separately. I think that is the way to do it--rate the car on how it drives/performs, and the other stuff separately.

Isn't reliability and peace of mind about the same thing?

I assume you're kidding about the "stigma points".
    I finally saw CR's comparo of the Yaris vs. Accent, Fit, Rio, and Versa (and the Focus ZX3). The Yaris was the 2nd most expensive AT-equipped car tested, at $15,543. It was the lowest-ranked AT car tested, and in fact ranked too low for CR to recommend it. A good value? Doesn't look like CR thinks so.

The Yaris hatchback fared even worse in the review, garnering only 36 points to rank 8th overall in the MT-equipped budget car field (which included the up-class Focus ZX3 too), just above the Aveo LS. However, the hatch was also the lowest-priced car of that group of cars, at $12,569.

One thing that stood out in the review was the benefit of ABS on these cars, for both dry and wet conditions (CR tested both ABS and non-ABS equipped versions of most of the cars). CR noted ABS is hard to find on the Yaris, but advised buyers to get it if they can find it.

Because the comparo included several cars, I put my overall impressions here:

backy, "Low End Sedans (under $16k)" #3704, 6 Nov 2006 9:17 am
    ...but which one is selling the most?
    Of all of these, probably the Focus--but it's not really in the same class.