Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• ttaittai Member Posts: 114
    I saw a ton of accents at the dealer I went to. I doubt it's a supply issue. I can believe the Fit is a supply issue. Honda is shipping them very slowly.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since this is a Toyota Yaris discussion, I've replied in the Yaris vs. Accent discussion, here:

backy, "2007 Hyundai Accent v 2007 Toyota Yaris Lift" #390, 28 Jul 2007 12:46 pm
    Well, so much for my theory of greater availability of ABS and side airbags helping to pump up Yaris sales of late. I checked toyota.com to see whether those features were any more available in my region than last time I checked, about a year ago, and I was rather shocked at what I found. According to toyota.com, ABS and side airbags are not available as an option on Yaris hatchbacks in my region. And while ABS can be had on Yaris and Yaris S sedans, side bags can be had on only Yaris S sedans. This is important because the Yaris sedan got a "Poor" IIHS side crash test score w/o side bags, and a "Good" with them.

Anyone know if Toyota is looking to change the availability of these safety features on the Yaris for 2008? Maybe even make side airbags standard, as they are on almost every other car?
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    I really don't think many people are that concerned about ABS and side airbags. At least not enough to pay extra for it and wait months to take delivery. What they are concerned about is price, MPG, reliability, and resale.
    It appears for buyers of the Yaris at least, that is very true. But it's puzzling to me, since this class of car is frequently purchased by parents for their kids.
    I think that you are looking at the situation from your Minnesota perpective. Most of the rest of the country does not have to deal with snow and ice except on rare occasions. I really don't think that many young people are driving Yarii. I haven't seen any yet and they are not real impressed with my Yaris. They are more concerned with their images than MPG. Besides, Mom and Dad pay for the gas, as well as the car.
    You are correct sir. I drove a crud of a car that weighed 600 lbs more than the Yaris without ABS and I did fine. The Yaris is the lightest of the bunch so ABS is not needed. I think the Yaris is outselling everybody else because the Yaris just has IT. Like the VW Beetle when it first appeared in America in the 60's, it just has IT. The cuteness, the small size that seats 4, the zip around town fun factor. The great fuel economy. The good price. It just has IT. The Fit is ugly and the Korean cars are just cars. No IT and they age badly. So there IT is. There's my explaination for the Yaris.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    That's actually a pretty good description. I agree 100%. The Yaris is almost a specialty niche car not unlike the Mini Cooper.
    I don't quite get the whole availability or unavailability of certain features based on a particular region. I've never heard of an auto maker doing that before. I can understand making the cold weather package unavailable in the warmer regions, but as far as the rest of the stuff, it really doesn't make any sense. What difference does it make what part of the country you live in when it comes to making air bags or ABS available?
  • boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    I did have to wait 5 1/2 months for my Yaris hatchback with ABS, side airbags, power package, fog lights, manual trans, alloy wheels, etc. Well worth the wait.
    5.5 months? That's a long time! I hope by the time I'm ready to order mine next year the wait won't be so long.
    I'm not sure I understand it either, but the master sales rep of my local Toyota dealer explained it to me once. It seems that Toyota USA allocates cars based on region. I am in Toyota's Central region. So we might get a different mix of cars than other regions. This came into play for me big time a few years ago when I ordered a 2004 Prius, in November 2003. I ordered what at that time was called Package 3, which included side bags/curtains. At the time I ordered, Package 3 was being allocated at a pretty high percentage compared to other packages, so it looked like I was in good shape to get my Prius before the lease ran out on my minivan the following May. Then the next spring, Toyota changed the Prius allocations for Central region so we were getting almost no Package 3s. That meant my car didn't arrive until late July. By then, I had to turn my minivan back in and had purchased another car.

So when I go to configure a vehicle on toyota.com and it tells me what packages are available in my area, and I don't see options like side airbags and ABS available in most trim lines, I think back to my Prius experience and figure I don't want any part of that, thank you.
    http://www.jdpower.com/autos/toyota/yaris/2007

Go to the bottom and you will see the demand level as well as the breakdown of who is buying these cars. You can check other cars too. You will find the Fit, Versa, and Yaris are in high demand. The rest, not so much.
    Maybe if more people did what you did and looked up these JD Power rankings, they would start taking cars like the Accent and Rio more seriously. For example, here's what JD Power said about the Yaris and Accent ("power circle" rankings are out of 5) in the page you posted and the similar page for the Accent:

Mechanical Quality: Yaris, 3.5; Accent, 4.5
    Overall Quality, Design: Yaris, 2.5; Accent, 3.5
    Overall Performance and Design: Yaris, 3; Accent, 2
    Green Efficiency: Both are 5

Also, the Accent was in the top 3 of JD Power's Initial Quality rankings for subcompacts. The Fit was 2nd; the Accent's cousin the Rio was 1st. The Yaris? Didn't make it to the top 3 in initial quality, but tied with the Fit in the 2007 APEAL survey.

Maybe a car that tops Yaris in initial quality, mechanical quality, and overall quality and design deserves a close look?
    My Ford was tops on JD Powers initial quality list too and then it started self destructing a year later. I don't pay attention to JD or CR anymore. I listen to the people. I still haven't found an unhappy Toyoda and Honda owner yet.
    OK, I understand now. You recommend that people look at JD Power for information that is complimentary to the Yaris. But when the information is not as complimentary, you don't pay attention to it. Got it. :)
    I recommended people look at absolute data like how much demand is for the car and the age breakdown of who is buying the cars. I didn't tell them to look at the subjective opinions like build quality or appeal. you did that. The initial quality is a completely useless gauge of how reliable a car is. JP Powers only uses that to sell you stuff amd justify their existence. Do you actually reason stuff out before post?
    Mechanical Quality: This score is based on problems that have caused a complete breakdown or malfunction of any component, feature, or item (i.e., components that stop working or trim pieces that break or come loose).

Overall Quality - Design: This score is based on problems where controls or features may work as designed, but are difficult to use or understand (i.e., overly complicated controls/features that are difficult to operate due to poor location).

Maybe I am weird, but I think both of these categories are relevant to someone looking at a new car. If a car breaks down or malfunctions in the first 90 days of ownership, that is not a good sign for trouble-free long-term ownership. And if controls and other features are difficult to understand or use, that also is something useful to know.

I think a well-done survey of thousands of car buyers is more useful than one person telling me that his or her car is great, or not.
    (rolls eyes) Ok Backy. You can go back to the sales department and tell them you did your job but these idiot Yaris owners won't stop loving their Yarii. Now you need to move on to the Versa forum. Oh wait. You're already there, and on the Fit forum. Good grief.
    Yes, I have done some serious digging into all those cars, and also the Yaris and others, in the search for my next new car. That is one of the primary reasons these Town Hall discussions exist, to help new car buyers in their search.

It's hard though to keep this discussion on the Yaris when people keep turning it to a comparison of other cars, like the Fit, Versa, Accent etc. :surprise:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    dude, backy's right, that is why Edmunds Town Hall discussions exist. I'll second that emotion.

I have learned oodles and skiboodles here and look forward to learning much more ahead.

I have also seen a distinct anti-Korean car bashing attitude that apparently those testing the cars don't buy in to anymore. Perhaps Honda and Toyota aren't handing out greenbacks any more to persuade their writing "trends".

And I have read many an unhappy comment from both Honda and Toyota vehicle owners over failed parts and components and failed Warranty coverage. It happens with all automakers.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Backy, you fail to mention that the Accent gets sub-par gas mileage when compared to Fit and Yaris. An average of 25-28 real-world mpg just doesn't cut it... sorry. That may be the REAL reason that the Accent isn't selling.

30 mpg (combined city/highway) is the MINIMUM that's acceptable these days. Anything below that simply falls off the radar.

I like the Accent's styling (but not quite as much as the Yaris hatch); however, when I looked at one on a lot, the interior looked/felt VERY cheap/flimsy.
    No, I've mentioned the excellent fuel economy of the Yaris multiple times here (cf. 2348, which was a reply to you). And in discussions that are for comparing the Accent to the Yaris (hint: not this one), I've noted the Yaris' superiority in this area. Is there a rule here that I need to mention the Yaris' fuel economy on every post? :surprise:
    Here's more on the thread boris13 started on real-world mpg for the Yaris and Accent:

backy, "2007 Hyundai Accent v 2007 Toyota Yaris Lift" #384, 26 Jul 2007 6:50 pm
    anti-Toyota agenda going on though. Neither do I.

I strongly considered both a 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan and a 2006 Scion xA as closely as a year and a half ago. I think backy does his research thoroughly and picks the car that is just right for him. Which is exactly what I do, too.

I like that with his posts he does his research and thoroughly(like a good trial lawyer might)lays out the pros and cons of the case. Then he states his decision on that matter and always lets the reader decide.

All out attacks with weapons are a dumb way to decide which car to buy. It's better to keep an open mind and decipher the facts and go from there.

But we are not Toyota/Scion haters. I know backy will come on here and explain his position but I wouldn't be that brash after test driving them both and almost buying one of them.

Look, the Yaris is a really good car and offers the buyer a lot. That's why this thread remains on my peruse-list. It's worth reading about.

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The subject is the Yaris, not another Forums member. Let's get back on track.
    Initial quality means little, if anything about the true build quality of a vehicle. A much more telling comparison would be to rank these cars on their quality after 100K miles. I guarantee in this comparison the Korean vehicles wouldn't be ranked ahead of the Toyota.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Initial quality does mean something. It is exteremely annoying to have to go back to the dealer to fix things in your brand new car.
    There is a 5 year rating also, but I haven't seen any auto manufacturer hyping it.
    100K miles is too long since most people get rid of their cars long before then. There probably wouldn't be enough people who would keep accurate records of problems and participate in the survey over so many miles.
    I think you are right, because that kind of study would go back 5-8 years, and the big strides in the quality of Korean cars have occured in just the past 5-6 years, with greatest improvements in the last 2-3 years.

If someone has as a non-negotiable buying criterion, "I need a small car that has proven long-term reliability at least as good as Toyota's", they are pretty much limited today to Toyota or Honda. If they can live with dependability that is a few defects-per-100-cars lower than Toyota's, then there are other options.
    It doesn't matter if people only keep their cars for 50K miles, if all cars were tested out to 100K, which ones would you be more apt to buy, the ones that held up the worst or the best? I'd much rather have a car that has defects right off the bat that would be covered under warranty than one that starts nickle and diming you to death just after the warranty expires.
    If every car were tested for 100k miles before I could consider buying it, I don't see how I'd ever be able to buy a new car, since cars are typically redesigned every 4-6 years. For example, I couldn't consider buyng a Yaris, which was a new design last year, until some trusted organizations had run a 100k test on it. That's easily 5-6 years in real-world miles (11-12 years for me). By then, the next Yaris will be here.

My perspective on reliability is that several manufacturers have reached a point where their cars are generally very reliable, within a few percentage points of each other. It's not as if one manufacturer or car is five times or three times or even twice as reliable, on average, than other manufacturers or cars. It's percentage-points difference. So for me, reliability is not the primary criterion; instead, there are more important criteria, like how the car drives, how it stops, how it sits, how safe it is, how comforatable and quiet it is, how economical it is, how nice it looks, etc.
    Depends on the make and model. A Cavalier or Neon is basically going to be a bucket of rattling nuts and bolts by 100K, while a Civic or a Corolla is just getting broken in by that point. I believe the Korean makes fall somewhere in between.
    Backy, are you ok?
    Yes, thanks. Many people are not however... a sad day.
    that is one horrible mess over there. Very, very sad day in MN. Somebody missed a call there, but for now it seems almost petty to wonder why it fell down.

Glad you're OK, man.

A sad day indeed.
  • helpmefindacarhelpmefindacar Member Posts: 14
    For those of you that have a Yaris....Do you like it and Have you had any problems with it?
    Thanks =)
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Had our Yaris LB since May and we love it. We take it everywhere and our '06 Toyota Rav4 just sits. It has never been back to the dealer for anything. A free oil change will be happening in a couple weeks.
    At 5,000 miles, the more I drive it, the more I like it. My liftback is a well-engineered, fuel-efficient, well-made, good-handling, versatile little car.

NO problems. None.
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    At just over 10,000 miles, I love it. Not a problem, perfect little 5 speed hatchback. My 90 day avg. mpg is 49, with 2% highway. Yes, I am a hypermiler.
    I thought I was imagining the insane mileage I was getting after the Yaris was broken in. I was getting way over 40 mpg in mixed driving. If you Yaris owners have any doubts about your Yaris, you will be glad to know Motorweek tested the car along with the Fit and Accent.

0-60: Yaris sedan(9.5 sec), Fit(11 sec), Accent(12 sec)
    MPG : Yaris(36), Fit(33), Accent(26)

http://www.cars.com/go/video/motorweek/videoPopup.jsp?makeid=47&year=2007&modeli- d=8242&location=MW_L_2007_Toyota_Yaris.flv

http://www.cars.com/go/video/motorweek/videoPopup.jsp?makeid=18&year=2007&modeli- d=8235&location=MW_L_2007_Honda_Fit.flv

http://www.cars.com/go/video/motorweek/videoPopup.jsp?makeid=19&year=2006&modeli- d=218&location=MW_L_2006_Hyundai_Accent.flv
  • roxy11roxy11 Member Posts: 27
    average after 8 tanks, about 70% highway/30% city:

42.47 mpg

no, im am not a hypermiler, but drive somewhat conservatively with my eye on mileage. overall, my efforts at great mileage are fairly minimal. for its size, the yaris gives a pretty smooth ride and is quiet (as sub compact hatchbacks go).
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Thanks for the links. I thought the Motor Week review was not up to their usual standards. The LB and sedan are totally different cars with different suspensions etc. and it was not even mentioned. That is poor reporting.
    Yes, they could have differentiated more between the LB and sedan, although they did mention the different wheelbase and some interior details such as different climate controls. But there's lots more differences they could have mentioned to be complete. I suppose they can only do so much in a short video report.

One thing the video was good at was showing people sitting in the car, adjusting the seats etc., and also moving down the track around the cones and in braking tests. That's something you don't get in text reviews.

I noticed they tested a S sedan, fully loaded with AT, side bags/curtains, and ABS. It would have been interesting for them to contrast with a lightly-optioned LB, with stick and standard brakes.

One thing I noticed is that they hit several of the things I don't particularly like about the Yaris. So now I don't feel like I was being unduly harsh in my opinion.
    Honestly, I'm not sure what the gaga is for the Honda Fit. Here is a test done by foreigners who tend to like the driving dynamics of a car rather than "bling". Americans tend to like bling like the radio or the faux wood. There was a track test of the Yaris, Fit, and Versa and the Yaris came out first. I don't remember who did the test.

http://media.drive.com.au/?rid=24008
    We have bought 2 Yaris hatchbacks in our family within the last 16 months. One AT and the other Manual Transmission. We haven't had the first problem with either one. Both average around 38 MPG in city driving.
    And I'm not sure why Yaris owners who are pleased with their cars continually see the need to bring up the Fit, Accent etc. in a discussion about the Yaris. :surprise:
    Why are you on a Yaris Forum talking about hyundais?
    I wasn't talking about Hyundais--but you were, and also the Fit, even though the person who started the thread was just asking about experiences with the Yaris, not Fits or Accents. There are discussions for that kind of comparison. I thought this one was to talk about the Yaris. :confuse:
    See thread 2430