Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• dakedake Member Posts: 131
    Why are we still selling vehicles that size to anyone who isn't a farmer or run a construction business? :confuse:
  • ttaittai Member Posts: 114
    No doubt. Heck. I had to take a special safety course and riding test in order to get my motorcycle license. So why can't we require Hummer and Suburban drivers take a safety course too. Oh, I forget. The almighty dollar for the auto industry.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national magazine is doing a story about the new popularity of small cars and looking for people who downsized from a larger car to a Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Mini Cooper, or Chevy Aveo -- someone who never envisioned themselves driving a small car, but felt forced to go small by gas prices that have shot above $3 a gallon. Or maybe they went small to show they are doing their part to save the planet, or stop terrorism, or maybe all three. Please respond no later than Feb. 6 to Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• luke16luke16 Member Posts: 1
    The best info I have found so far is at thule uk. You will have to varify the year of your car and if there are any differences between the euro and the NA, best of luck.

http://www.thule.co.uk/appguide/yourDetails.asp?car_model=Yaris%203-d%2099-05&rf- oot=750&rbar=761&rABar=861&rkit=rkit&rLock=544&rSRA=777&tFoot=&tBar=&tKit=&tSRA=- &tSP=&tLocks=
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    in one of the forums, but thought I'd ask again since no one had any data. Has anyone had the unfortunate event of being in an accident involving the rear of the Yaris being hit? My interest is for the 2 door hatch. I really like this little car, but am concerned about backseat passengers. Anyone? Thanks.
  • jwesselxjwesselx Member Posts: 4
    yakima makes a clip on roof rack for the 4 door, but not the hatchback. I'm going to be doing a hard install of Yakima Landing Feet 7 on my Yaris next week. I'll let ya know if it works well. I had a bear of a time finding a schematic of the roof supports...
    Not yet, but I'm planning on attempting to install Yakima Landing Feet 7 onto my Yaris at the end of the month. I'll try to remember to come back and let ya know how it went. The install looks very simple with the LF7's cuz you don't have to pull off the headliner. The hardest part for me was finding a reliable source for the roof schematic, so I could tell exactly where the roof supports were...

Jeff.Wessel@us.army.mil
  • bradskillsbradskills Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just purchased a new Yaris automatic sedan in December. We're saving about 80 bucks a month more in gas than we used to since we got it. We have about 4000 miles on it, and the mileage and performance is steadily getting better now that it's getting broke in. Haven't had any problems with it. The electronic power steering is a really good idea. (It saves gas mileage and work on the engine) The engine is simple and looks like it'll be easy to maintain (like changing the oil and plugs, etc.). It's kinda weird how it'll keep starting up if you just barely turn the key and let go. It's drive by wire too, so it's pretty efficient that way. We can get about 40mpg on the hwy and it's slowly getting better. Some people think it looks crammed in the back. It has plenty of room. The Ipod hookup is nice. The steering position can be a little weird for me sometimes. I do wish the wheel telescoped, but I get used to it. The only complaing I really have about it is with the center console, my wife can see how fast I'm going and also some co-workers call it "cute." It can get up and dance just fine in the city or freeway, though. I'm gonna get a K&N filter for it when this one wears out to see if it'll get even better mileage. Great car. Highly recommend.
  • yoshi2yoshi2 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Yaris liftback in October of '07. This is my first "new" car purchase and I am loving that little red thing!

Ok, here is my question, mpg's are supposed to be very good for this car (34/40). Every fill-up since my purchase, I am only getting around 18-22 mpg. What gives?

Now, I have been told by the dealer that this should improve after the first oil change (which is coming soon), but from what i am reading on the boards...most are getting around 30-35 city on their first and second tanks of gas...

please advise!!! :)
    I have noticed my mileage is very different depending on whether I'm primarily driving around town, or highway. However, even on my worst fill up it was above 30mpg. Unless you drive VERY differently than most, I'd keep pushing the dealer - something's gotta be wrong.
  • neatnick79neatnick79 Member Posts: 12
    Hmm... sounds really strange... I have a 2007 red liftback with an automatic that I purchased in March of 2006. It now has 33,000 miles on it, and since the very beginning the lowest mpg it has gotten has been about 33-34 (in the winter with snow tires, with all the "warming up" idling, too). In the summer I consistently get 37-38 mpg on each tank! Are the tires all at the correct pressure? Also, keeping highway speeds under 75 mph or so helps too... the car gets much better gas mileage (for me) if I stay around 70 mph or so. I guess driving style can have a lot to do with gas mileage. Any other thoughts out there? Maybe it's not being calculated correctly? Check out this link to make sure:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=calcMPG
  • yeeyee Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 Yaris hatchback manual w/o a tach. Does anyone, who owns a manual sedan, know the RPM readings at 60 and 70 MPH? Thanks.
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    40 mph = 1800
    50 mph = 2200
    60 mph = 2600
    70 mph = 3000
    you can take it from there.
  • yeeyee Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info. I can see why my wife's 2006 Honda Civic auto has similar highway MPG. The Civic only runs around 2000 RPM at 65 MPH. It would be great if the Yaris offers 6-speed manual.
  • kednokedno Member Posts: 2
    Anybody out there have any experience in an accident? Am concerned about making this purchase because I travel a great deal for work, and NOT on great roads. Snow/ice can be an issue where I live, so should there be a change in tires for that season?
  • kednokedno Member Posts: 2
    So glad to hear you're having a great experience in a cold climate! Am considering this purchase, and because I, too, travel for work, the snow/ice issue has me worried.

Tell me more. Should I make the purchase, or go to a more road-proven machine?
    Well, the insurance safety institute gave it a good rating for front and side (with airbags) and marginal for rear. If you just google Toyota yaris crash or accidents, you'll find pics and posts from people who've been in accidents with them. Near as I can tell, most people get bruised up and that's about it. The Yaris gets totaled, but it does it's job and protects the people inside.
    So, maybe someone on here can answer this. I've read on some forums, people referring to the Owner's Manual in a manner that suggests their Yaris came with something more than the little quick reference guide that we got in ours. So what's the consensus? Did your Yaris come with a thick Owner's Manual (like all my older Toyotas have) or did it only come with the little reference guide? If it did come with a thicker manual, are you in Canada or the States? I thought it strange they didn't offer the regular manual anymore, but now I wonder if I'm just missing it.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    My 2007 Yaris bought in Memphis, TN came with a 311 page owners manual.
    Hmm... yeah, my '07 liftback purchased in Newport, RI came with the same 311 page owner's manual. However, no quick reference guide. I don't think that was out yet, so I had to download it from the internet!
    On another note, at www.toyotaowners.com, you're able to view all the chapters of the owners manual in PDF format I think (you'll have to register)... but they should still have given you one with the car.
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going in Monday to have them look at my TPMS and I'll get one then.
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Yeah, I like lower rpms too, but this is a small engine and the laws of physics seez its OK for them to run faster (just like small animals versus large, etc.). Back when I was in engineering school it was called model analysis.

IMO 1.5L engines are too small for 6M or automatic trannys. 6M would be very "long legged" in top gear and the engine would lack torque to avoid lots of down shifting. Automatic transmissions (except in top gear where it might be a direct connection) are less efficient and so rob power from the tiny engine.
  • nightfrog65nightfrog65 Member Posts: 3
    My 2007 Yaris 3 door LB has a 5 speed manual, and has over 19000 miles on it after 1 year of driving. Here's my fuel eceonomy:

100% Highway: 40.5 mpg
    Combined Average Fuel Economy: 37.7 mpg

I drive about 25 miles one way to work, and average about 50% highway and 50% city driving. Average highway speed:65-70 mph.

It's a good affordable sub-compact for those looking to save gas money; It's definitely not a Ferrari or Escalade, so it shouldn't be judged by the same standards as a luxury SUV or sports car.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Plus the liftback is very unique looking. I just wish Toyota would stop treating the liftback as a base model only and offer it with the same options as the sedan. This car needs a tach and cruise control as a minimum.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    bottgers...

I'm not sure of availability in your area, but Toyota offers the Yaris in "S" form which has a tach...there's NO cruise control, though...

I do agree with you about Toyota and their apparent indifference to the Yaris 3dr, in both base AND "S" models...Cruise would be nice, a power sunroof, a Pioneer audio system similar to what Scion has in its three lines, and Vehicle Stability Control would make this little critter really stand out, IMHO. Perhaps the 2009 model will include these goodies as options, hopefully. :confuse:

Peace!<-AladdinSane-<- :shades:
  • jragnajragna Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new Yaris. I rejected the electric additions- lockas, windows, etc. I do not mind this at all even with people thinking I am crazy to roll down my windows and lock the doors by hand!
    Today I have become a bit frightened. My Yaris is not one with the side airbags. Does anyone know how much it is to have them installed? I just read a random blog where the person stated "to have the airbags installed costs about as much as buying a new yaris."
    Can this be true? Please if you know anything write back. If you live in LA and know of someone who does a great inepensive job definitely write back!! Thank you
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I don't think you can find anyone in his right mind who would install air bags in a car without them, for the simple reason of liability. What happens if, in an accident, these airbags don't inflate and a loved one is seriously injured or killed? You might not sue the installer, but that is too likely a scenario for anyone to take on the job, if it is technically possible to do.

If you could find a qualified mechanic who would do it, it would be very expensive. It's not just the airbags, but the sensors. It would be less costly, and risky, to sell your Yaris (you should get a good price for it with all the focus on fuel economy) and buy one with side airbags.
    I would say that this is one of those thing that can't be put in aftermarket--unless the car was disassembled first. You have the sensors, the control module, the bags themselves, all in different locations in the car;my guess is that the only company that would warranty that kind of installation would be the Toyota factory.

I agree with the previous poster, but I say take your chances until you can get a new car with side airbags. My Yaris also has no power option--and no side airbags, but I knew it didn't have the bags when I bought it! I
    Don't worry. With the price of gas going to $5.00/gal, everybody will be in scooters and bicycles anyway.
  • jragnajragna Member Posts: 2
    We can only hope that people do so.
    I traded in my 4Runner and am pleasantly surprised. Thank you for your message it makes the most sense for the general public. The other two comments were very helpful as well.
    I do love my new car :)
    What is it with Consumer Reports and their bad mouthing of the Yaris? Does anyone here (even Backy) believe, in the Subcompact Class, that a Honda Fit Sport MT rates a 75 on a 100 point scale and the Toyota Yaris hatchback MT rates a 36, tied for last with a Chevrolet Aveo LT? It is noted that the Edmunds consumer ratings on a 10 point scale has the Yaris at 9.4 and the Aveo at 8.9 which might be slightly biased on the high side because no one wants to admit that they have made a poor choice for their car.
    Consumer Reports is such a joke. The Yaris Hatchback is 2 seconds quicker to 60 than the Fit. The Yaris gets better gas mileage, is more comfortable, and stops better. The Fit goes around corners better because the springs are stiffer. I bet they took 50 points off for the center speedo. I saw a Fit going down the road again and am glad I didn't get one. It looks like a tiny Honda minivan.
    Who really cares? The important thing is that YOU like your car and it's the right car for you. Every reviewer will apply their own criteria. For the criteria CR used to rate the Yaris, I don't have a problem with how they scored it. CR never rated any of my current cars very high, but I like them. If you want to know why CR rated the Yaris so low, just read the review--they are pretty clear on what they think its shortcomings are.
    I guess you are right. Crash ratings are number 1 with you. Low Price, high MPG, and dependibility are number 1 with me. Therefore, Yaris is a better fit for me.
  • jgasjgas Member Posts: 2
    Your car should have come with the regular thicker Owner's Manual. I lost my copy the day after I bought the car last week. It can be replaced by calling a Toyota dealer parts dept. The problem is that it sounds like they may be on back order. The Prius and Yaris books are both on back order according to the person I talked to. He sounded so negative about it he didn't even take my order. Other dealers I talked to may not have been ordering them recently because they both were happy to place the order if I wanted one. It costs about $20 and comes from the east coast somewhere. Maybe the original parts guy just didn't want to be bothered. I don't know yet. I'm going to look around one more time before I order one.

On toyotaowners.com you can download part of it. You have to register first. It is painless and free.
  • jgasjgas Member Posts: 2
    I just got the answer on how to get an owner's manual for your 2008 Yaris. The main Toyota publications number is: 1-800-622-2033. The book is $15.95 plus tax and shipping. I'm still going to look around my house one more time before I order it.
    Actually all those attributes you mentioned are important to me. But there are others as well. Also, I wonder if CR's test scores on the Yaris would have been different had they tested a loaded Yaris hatch with ABS and other options. I think they tested a pretty basic car. They don't take price into account in their rankings, except to group cars into general classes.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    If my memory serves me right, CR tested a plain 3-door Liftback without ABS and also an ABS-equipped sedan. The price-wise, the tested Liftback was in the $12,000 range, and the sedan was in the mid-15K.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    According to the article, they would have most liked a Yaris Sedan with Auto, ABS, Airbags, and Power Package. They thought the hatch was more spartan with far less utility than a Fit, and they didn't like the manual transmission in the sedan. Although the manual is not as slick as the Fit's, it is far better than the automatic. Nothing wrong specifically with the Yaris auto, but no small car with a small engine is ever very compatible with an auto for my liking. Even CR admitted the manual sedan went like 2 seconds quicker to 60. An auto on a subcompact is like throwing a saddle on a chihuahua. They thought the manual was stiff, but I haven't experienced any problem in 25,000 miles.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Well, I turned in my Yaris sedan rental car on Monday afternoon. I have to say that it was very enjoyable for the most part. It's very solidly built, doors close with a satisfying thud, the turn signal stick was sturdy and solid-feeling. The plastic steering wheel is little disconcerting, but it is, at least, a quality plastic that doesn't have that cheap Chevrolet feeling to it. This goes for the cloth seats, as well; they have a nice, sturdy weave to them and aren't bedsheet-thin, again like a Chevrolet. (My '98 Corolla has spoiled me, I suppose - too used to foam-padded wheel and velour cloth seats!) For it to be the smallest Toyota, it really is about the same size as my '98 Corolla in length, and even bigger than mine in interior room. The one I rented was a beautiful medium blue color. And, it's actually very handsome and well-proportioned, not at all like the hideous 3-door model which looks as if it weren't finished yet. I like that it has height adjusters for the seat - perfect for me who, although I'm tall, I don't like to sit too low. Unfortunately, I never reset the trip meter, thinking they'd need that to record how many miles I put on the car while I had it, so I never got to actually see what kind of gas mileage. But I drove all over town and topped it up whenever it dropped a bar. I think the mileage is perfectly acceptable, although probably not as high as some may claim.

There were some things I didn't like about it, such as the stupidly-placed cupholders that block the A/C vents, the speedometer that makes 35, 45, 55, and 65 mph too hard to gauge, the digital fuel gauge that's too "all-or-nothing" with each bar to be exact, and the worst offense of all, no daytime running lights. Acceleration was weird sometimes.

In concept, I love the car's basic simplicity; but if I were to buy one, I would insist on power windows and locks, and I would see if some kind of aftermarket DRL system could be installed. Daytimers have saved me more times than I can count, and besides that, I thought they were mandatory for all American cars built after 1997! For that matter, I'd want an aftermarket cupholder fix, too. I would want interior color something other than black, which shows all kinds of dirt and is miserable to sit on - and grip - in 108 degree heat. I'd also like analog gauges so that I could see "where I'm at, exactly" with regards to speed and fuel.

The car I rented is basic as can be, definitely "entry-level". It's good, comfortable basic transportation that can be dressed up a little, but not much. I'd say upgrade to Corolla if you need sunroofs and 60/40 seats, but realize you'd be buying a bigger car and bigger engine. I personally am on the fence about Corolla. I hate how it's bigger now - the size of a '98 Camry - and more expensive. $20K for a Corolla is ridiculous to me. So I'd say Yaris is plenty of car for the money, either for yourself or for your kids. If something happened to my old-timer (which shouldn't happen for a while, what with all the work I had done to it) and I had to downgrade to something more basic, I could do worse than Yaris, as long as it was the SEDAN.
    I have had two bottom of the line Yarii, one automatic, one manual, both had Daytime Running Lights. My guess is that the drink holders are located in front of the AC vents to keep your drinks cold for a longer period of time. It really doesn't affect the overall ability to keep the car cool.
  • yoshi2yoshi2 Member Posts: 2
    my "hideous 3-door model" has DRL. Do you mean automatic lights (that come on after dark)?
    Yes, please read carefully, thanks. Yaris hatchbacks do come with DRL, Yaris sedans, like the one I rented, do not. I personally don't like that.
    Thank you for your perspective, but I wonder if you had the hatchback or the sedan. If your sedan had DRL, then you had a rare car, indeed.

If the drink is a hot coffee, then locating it in front of the A/C is a stupid idea, in my opinion, and I, for one, don't like the design. And when I've stepped into the car from 100 degree heat sometimes it's comforting to feel the air from the vent on my face, and not have it blocked by my drink.

I hope you're not trying to suggest I shouldn't feel the way I do about this, because that's just ego. My experience is my experience, and someone could learn from it and make their own mind up about it.
    You are right, both of my bottom of the line Yarii with DRL are hatchbacks. I have never driven or even rode in the sedan version. I didn't realize that they did not have DRL. I rarely drink anything while I am driving, so the placement of the cup holders is of very little importance to me. However, if you must drink and drive (hot drinks in 100 degree heat and cold drinks in the winter), then I guess you need to look at something other than a Yaris or perhaps you could direct the air away from the cup holder vents.
    Exactly. If the purpose of these forums is education and not just a fan club mouthpiece, this is the reason I input my week-long experience with the car. It's done in the spirit of, if you want a Yaris sedan, be aware (or beware, depending on perspective) that this is what I've noticed about it, this is what turns me off about it, this is what I like about it. Using this information, people can then decide FOR THEMSELVES how they will deal with the very real problem with the cupholders, and will decide FOR THEMSELVES if they can live without DRL. People may decide they can live with the Yaris even with the shortcomings - I'm not going to judge them either way. I'm just providing perspective and information.

And if I like hot drinks in the summer and iced tea in winter, it's my business, just like your NOT drinking anything while driving is solely yours. I appreciate the suggestions on how I might deal with the problems should I decide to own a Yaris sedan, but it's my decision to make, not yours.

Thanks again.
    You know what my Yaris sedan has? It has a little knobby thingie. If I want the lights on, I turn them "ON", if I want the lights off, I leave them "OFF". :D:D Sorry, but DRL's seem to be a waste. If they truly made a difference, they would be mandatory. The fact that they are not speaks volumes. Night? Raining? turn the lights on. Middle of the afternoon on a bright sunny day? nope.

Though my one gripe about the headlights in general is the fact that my '87 Celica had automatic-off headlights. If you left the lights on after the car was shut off, the minute the door opened, the lights went off - it's a very simple switch. Why, twenty+ years later, has this apparently been relegated to the lofty heights of high-dollar vehicles? Anyhoo...

Otherwise, it is a great car. The speedo hump could benefit from being turned ever so slightly towards the driving side, like the old Echo's was.

It also has more front legroom than the Corolla (as does my Echo). I think they purposely limited the rearward travel of the seats to artificially increase rear legroom on the Corolla. I don't haul four people with any sort of regularity at all, so I like my seat to be able to slide back as far as possible most of the time.
    Excuse me, but were you looking for some kind of argument from me? If so, about what? That I need DRLs, and you don't? Please don't waste my time with this. I get an e-mail every time. You have a solution that satisfies you, go make yourself a cake!
    Why, twenty+ years later, has this apparently been relegated to the lofty heights of high-dollar vehicles? Anyhoo...

Actually a lot of inexpensive cars have this feature. Why more cars don't have it, I have no idea... as you said, it's a simple thing to do.