Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

1444546474850»

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited June 2012
    In fact, they are moving production from Japan to France. And that's not strictly true - they will continue to build Yarises in Japan for sale in Japan.

However, Europe is the Yaris's biggest market, so it's not surprising they are consolidating all their foreign production there. Also, the yen-dollar exchange rate is now killing all their profits from Yaris sales - Honda has the same problem with the Fit, which is why they will begin building all the Fits for North American sale in Mexico in two years.

So it makes sense for Toyota not to export cars from Japan, if it can export them from pretty much any place else.

Also, this will allow them to build more Prius C's, which are built in the same plant in Japan as the Yaris, and which have exploded in sales much more than Toyota ever dared hope prior to launch.

Me, I'm just so glad they aren't going to build them in Mexico or China, I really don't care if they are built in Japan or France. And I don't mean that to be a rap on Mexico - it's just that when manufacturers open new plants there, they generally don't maintain good QC over the product and as a result it is inferior to what is built in the home market or the United States (or Europe in this case).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• michika12michika12 Member Posts: 4
    Please share your driving experience with Toyota Yaris, Is is good or bad?
  • toyotafan6toyotafan6 Member Posts: 49
    So far it's been more than okay, it's been very good - I've had my 2012 Yaris LE for almost 9 months, averaging 35 mpg - so happy I chose this car!

Love the way it handles & it's easy to park, has a tight turning circle! One thing that really stands out is just how roomy it is - when I sat in a new Ford Fiesta during my research period I found it to feel quite "narrow", not so with the Yaris - plus the controls are simple and easy to reach...I find the horsepower to be more than adequate - no problem merging onto the interstate...

I've got free scheduled mainteance for the next 2 yrs too!

My car is waveline pearl, a sky blue - I researched new small cars for about 8 months before deciding on the Yaris and got the best car for the money in my opinion.
  • andie_3andie_3 Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2012 Yaris, two-door, stick shift. I'm pretty sure it was the cheapest car on the lot! We've put almost 1,000 miles on it, and I absolutely adore it. It's my new favorite car! Plus it's averaging 38 mpg...which, here in Hawaii, is magnificent.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Noticed a blurb about the new Yaris in this month's C&D, and it was kind of nice to read something positive about the car given that a lot of reviews when it came out were just so-so:

Yes, I realize that this is no piping-hot enthusiast's delight....But if we were to give an award for most improved, the Yaris would clinch it. Tony Quiroga called it more refined than the Subaru BRX/Scion FRS which, I noted (to his face), is sort of the whole point, and also true. Amazingly, the flyweight bargain-basement Yaris delivers a stress-free driving experience that does not come at the expense of its handling chops. On the third day of the (annual 10Best) test, I was driving the VW Golf R behind Erik Johnson in the Yaris, and I was actually working to keep up....

What I love about this car is the handling, along with the fuel economy and the general peppiness which I attribute in large part to its super-low weight. I can corner in this thing faster than in my Subaru which is a much more hunkered down car. Plus Toyota improved the steering immensely (although it, like all electric steering I have tried, still isn't good enough - not enough feedback from the road and feels artificial off center).

So anyway, it was nice to see someone point out the car's strengths... :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• girlcarbuildergirlcarbuilder Member Posts: 225
    The Yaris fleet has expanded a bit more now. 4 units. '07 auto 3 door, '08 manual 3 door; '09 3 door and '10 5 door reported about previously.

All units are at about 40K service miles. Nothing unusal. 2008 was purchased earlier this year which had an interior fire. It has restored nicely to date. Still need a bunch of plastic interior parts, carpet, headliner. Operational now. Fire smell is very much gone compared to what it was when bought. It is planned for service soon....when I please! I like that!

The 2007 was purchased recently with mild frontal crash damage. It needed new tires as well. Slowly working with its problems. Not due for service until early summer '13. These cars do not fare well if the hit is above or below the bumper bar. They are built to protect you, but the driveline can be totaled if that hit is below or above the bumper bar. So it is with a lot of smaller cars. This unit took the hit directly to that bumper bar and did well. Runs nicely. Front end radiator support system just bolts on and off. Bumper cover is a combination of clips and bolts to remove. Simple to work on.

Anyway, the purpose of this report is to report maintenance "out of the norm problems." Just oil changes, tires on one unit, wheel balances/rotations, air filters, cabin air filters. We have decided the OEM horns do not produce enough noise, so all units are getting a upgraded to a 3 horn system, 1 old, 2 new. The 2 new horns pull a good 10 amps which require a relay system. The OEM only pulls 2 amps! Any way, any cell phone user will hear them now! I may even see more of that welcoming gesture people freely give out when I honk after they pull out in front of me!

Great car so far. Have even figured out how to stretch out in the back on a long trip. One driving, one sleeping. Split seat system goes flat. Add pillows, move passenger seat forward and flip forward. Remove headrest so driver can see. Sleeper puts head to back and feet towards passenger door...zzzzzzzz away!
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    Just got back from a trip to Panama in April. I have never seen so many Yaris's in my life. I would estimate that they make up at least 50% of the Taxi fleet that you see everywhere. Mostly 4 door sedans. Very few 3 door hatchbacks like my 2007. You also see them in the non taxi car population. Far more common than Corolla's. Camry's and Avalons are non existent.
    Not surprised. The car can carry four adults comfortably. Gasoline prices are forcing everything to get better mpg as well. The hatchback is like a small SUV. I also watch auctions online. Bidders from South America are really competitive even above what many cars are worth here in the US. Because of this, not uncommon to have to pay top dollar for an auction unit. It is also a solid popular unit in the UK.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    I was told that people considering on moving to Panama from the USA should leave their American made vehicles at home, because cars made for the Panama market don't have the pollution control systems on their cars. That the Panama Toyota Dealers don't stock repair parts and don't have the knowledge or equipment to work on the systems. Do you think there is any truth to this?
    I suspect there is. On the other hand, they most likely are paying a premium for those cars there. That would make yours worth a lot more there. I would price a new one there to see. On the other hand, there is Toyota Parts barn on the web for parts. I see some real junk go at auction for a lot of money to South America. I suspect there are a lot of "Herbie" Toyotas there. AKA half of one car and half of another welded together. I have to sign off with the state on any car I rebuild, therefore each of those cars have a rebuilt folder. Remember Yaris is mostly Japanese with bolt on American required stuff.

I see no trouble on ours, but I maintain them so no one else can mess them up. I would also consider the fuel they sell there before taking your car there. That fuel can cause a lot of problems if the car is not built for it.

I found this dealer on the web. May be of some help on what they sell new price wise. https://www.toyotarp.com/
  • TGPIITGPII Member Posts: 1
    Why does the 2020 sedan come in L and manual transmission but the 2020 hatchback does not? Will a 2 door version be made? I am in North America (USA).