Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    Have you seen our gas prices? In Vancouver right now gas is upto $1.07CAD a litre for regular... that's $3.31USD a gallon. You'd be an absolute fool or stupidly rich or a construction worker to buy a car that has a fuel economy less than 30MPG. a guy i know who who works at a used car dealership says that they're having a whole lot of trouble getting rid of their bigger cars and trucks while civics and the like are going through like... well... won't state example here.
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    the price at the pump is usually a supply and demand issue. what do you think the price of gas would be if canada and the usa didn't export so much of the oil they pump out of the ground?
    the oil companies have found it's more profitable to export our oil and charge the north american consumer more for imported oil.
    and they don't even give us a kiss after they screw us.
  • yifflover_69yifflover_69 Member Posts: 10
    I would love them to bring the Vitz/Yaris over here. The styling would cause me to buy one because the only real reason I haven't bought the current one is because I think it's ugly and sparsely equipped. If they bring them over here, and give them some decent equipment while still retaining the 1.5L engine that gets 42mpg, then I will be first in line for one! Love the Vitz/Yaris styling, and an RS version would be nice (too bad we will probably not see one :cry: ).
    What about Scion? I don't understand buying an echo that gets 37mpg's lol. If it got 40 (or 42 like the new one) I would have one, but 37mpg's for a 108hp car is just bleh. And it doesn't even accelerate as well as the current echo (0-60mph in 8.5 secs for a 1.5L is just crazy acceleration).

Now, the US echo's vary by state. I live here in MD and you can NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM get power windows!! (not even on an automatic sedan) Power steering had been also impossible to get on a coupe, but now it's an option you MUST get. I swear, toyota makes you buy all these options and it drives the car up, and those options should be standard! Jeez, my current Metro even has a standard Rear window defogger/defroster! (ouch)
    All they need to do is bring Vitz/Yaris over here and do what they did with scion: make everything standard and they will sell them quickly. If sales pick up then we may actually see an RS version. Of course if they didn't make everything standard, and just made most standard amenities standard then they would still sell pretty well.
    Name wise, I don't really mind: As long as it isn't called chicken poop or something dumb like that. Of course we can just pull the emblems off and put Vitz emblems on and be happy! Of course seeing the revival of Tercel or Starlet would be fine, just watch out for the nay sayers.
    Just my 2 cents tho.
    I also think toyota should just redo the celica and mr2 and they would become popular again but what do I know? :(
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    Well since Canada already has the Echo Hatchback RS, I don't see why Toyota wouldn't continue to bring it on the next generation in all North America!
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    Toyota has done market surveys and that is what they use to decide what cars to sell. Apparently hatchbacks are a loser in the US market. So I doubt you will EVER see the ECHO hatch sold here. In fact I wouldnt be suprised to see the scion Xa go before long. Americans just dont want small cars. Its a shame because the diesel hatch Yaris is so popular in Europe youd think theyd throw the US a bone and import some here. Never happen.
  • snifflessniffles Member Posts: 34
    I don't know if this is the replacement for the USA Echo but the web site is for the 2006 Toyota Yaris which is suppose to be coming to the USA. If it is I hope they change the front end. It's kind of ugly. I also hope they change the name. What the heck is a Yaris?

http://www.motorbox.com/Auto/Magazine/Prossimamente/toyotayaris2006.html?mmc=49
    Yes it is the Echo replacement for 2006 but the sedan is missing and I really wonder what it'll look like!
  • autoposterautoposter Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

About the new Echo, I just saw pictures of the Toyota Aygo which will start being sold in Europe this July.
    The Aygo is supposed to slot in under the Yaris hatchback, and will sell for about $11,000 Canadian ($9,000 American, or $7,000 Euros).
    It will be sold with a 67 hp 3L engine, with either two of three doors.
    See the pictures at:

http://www.reportmotori.it/Toyota%20Aygo%20-%20Frontale800.jpg
    ...and a whole gallery at...
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/T/toyota/aygo/gallery.html

Maybe Toyota Canada and US will sell a rebadged Aygo rather than a new Echo, or maybe they'll bring over the Aygo.">
    No, surely not. Perhaps Toyota would bring it in Canada to compete the Smart Fortow but it will NEVER replace Echo, you can be sure of that. The Aygo is way too small in every aspects to fill the space between itself and Corolla. Echo will get a replacement, the Yaris, which Japan already has, and perhaps Toyota can bring the Aygo here but as the entry level car of its line-up, not replacing the Echo, which is, by the way, a B-segment car contrarily to Aygo (A-segment).
    The new 2006 Echos have been ordered and are scheduled to arrive either in July or August. It will be called the Echo. She doesn't know whether the hatchback has been redesigned or not, but she said that the sedan is definitely redesigned. Hmmm are we getting a trunk on the Yaris? Are they actually going to make the trunk look right this time? Anyway I'm a hatchback kind of person anyway. My dillema is that I prefer the sporty looks of the current Echo hatchback but it would be nice to drive the more refined Echo-Yaris.
  • rossm2rossm2 Member Posts: 96
    Where are you located?

Ross
    I suggest you not to thrust that much your dealer... Often, they don't even know what will their future vehicles will look like and if she tells you it's gonna be called Echo and will arrive in August, just don't believe her too much:

http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp

it clearly shows us the name will be Yaris and will arrive in March 2006... but the arrival date can change, however, but the name will surely be Yaris, no doubt. ;)
    The information you cite is for the US. One of the reasons I asked for the location was the mention of the HB which is, of course, currently available in Canada, but not the US. I suspect(ed) that the poster may have been asking a Canadian dealer.

Ross :D
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    How is the Yaris different from the xA?

They share the same drive train and are both hatchbacks.
    The Yaris/ECHO HB is about 350 pounds lighter (just over 2100 lb), is shorter (147.1" in Canadian trim, less in Europe), and has less standard equipment, among other differences.

Ross
    You also forgot to mention that the echo has a transmission geared for fuel economy, rather then performance. Yet I always wondered why the xA still manages to take ~10.5 secs to 60 with that "performance geared" trans. (I didn't think that 500 pounds or so made THAT much of a difference ;) ) Honestly, id take the echo over the xA because it gets 42mpg and still beats it to 60! :P

And to the one message, the us is 99% likely to get the hatches. The name is still not final but it looks like it will come here soon. Of course some americans don't like hatches, but then again all of our suv's have hatches for our stuff, and those things are almost as common as diseases! Now we won't get the diesel engines, and that would definitely be a plus for the diesel market, especially on a car of this size and weight.

An Aygo would be a nice addition to the US, too bad a production giant like toyota won't be willing to produce a low-volume car.
    and the dealer I deal with is Downtown Toyota Centre in downtown Vancouver. They've stopped making the 2005 Echo hatchbacks and sedans, Toyota is going to lose over 40,000 sales in Canada if they wait until March 2006 to start getting new Echos in, so that's why I believe her when she says August 2005. She's going to work with me to make sure I don't have to endure the expected wait list -- Corolla, Matrix, Prius, and Echo buyers in Vancouver know what I'm talking about. And the Echo name will continue in Canada.
    Thanks for the information. I'm in Port Alberni and was hoping to be able to get a hatch before the years end. I too am a HB sort of guy. Guess I'll have to go to the local dealer (Echo Toyota - REALLY) and have a little chat. You are right, the HB has been a real seller in BC and across Canada for that matter. I won't be expecting a big discount.
    :)

Ross
    Well it seems logical that the Echo arrives in August if they stopped making 2005 models, I suppose. The name Echo could still continue since we already have Echo hatchback in Canada that is very successful but I doubt they will use different names for Canada and U.S... Echo needs a new name, especially in the U.S where its reputation has to be redone because I think most people there think "Oh yeah, that ugly little car from Toyota that barely sells" when they hear "Echo". It's not the same thing here in Canada however, where the hatchback version is kind of cute and where it's REALLY popular. So if that U.S website told us it was gonna be Yaris, I think it's gonna be Yaris for Canada too! It would be too complicated and expensive to have 2 different names for the same cars in 2 countries that are next to each other...
    Look at the Kia Magentis in Canada, it's called the Optima in the US. Was going to comment on the X-Trail and the Micra by Nissan but of course they don't sell the X-Trail in the states and never sold the Micra in the states.

I like the Echo name anyway. I don't see what would be the big deal keeping that name in Canada. The Echo definitely doesn't have a bad reputation up here.
  • ashtonybbashtonybb Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2002 4DR which i got it in oct of 2002. i can't monitor the distance it travels every whole tank of premium gas but i would say it is better than bigger cars. i like the ECHO name too. AYGO and YARIS if they would be the replacements. let's give it a try. :lemon:
  • ashtonybbashtonybb Member Posts: 3
    do you know where i can find cheaper shop manuals of toyota echo 2002? thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - you might want to drop by the Toyota Echo discussion which covers your MY. This discussion is about the 2006 Echo.
    How the heck did they fit the engine through that small bay? I thought my 85 Civic's hood was small. :) I mean sure it's a 1.5L but it's still sizable if you look at the current gen Echo. Maybe a rotary engine? LOL.
  • carmen1carmen1 Member Posts: 19
    I will be ordering a 2006 Echo hatchback 3-door and do not know what colors are available. (I'm getting a deal thru a staff so I have to place my order ASAP in order to ensure I get one.)

The 2005 colors are white, silver, gold, red, blue and black. He thinks the colors will be the same for 2006.

However, after reading this post, it sounds like they are NOT making the 2006 Echo. Is this being replaced by the Yaris in Canada? If so, what are the color options?

Or are they sending us the American rejects of Echo hatchbacks and labelling them 2006?

Nevertheless, I have to buy a new car, Echo or Yaris and need to know what colors are available. Will this be available in October 2005?

BTW, I'm from Vancouver Canada.

Thanks.
    Sorry but you have this rather twisted around. They CAN'T send "the American rejects of Echo hatchbacks" because the Americans never got the hatchback. The ECHO name, according to what I have heard, is likely to continue in Canada, as it has been a top seller both in sedan & hatchback form. It is only in the States that the ECHO has been a failure and what the rest of the world calls the Yaris/Vitz has not been available. We (Canada) will be getting the new beast, slightly larger and, supposedly, quite a bit more refined. It should be available sometime between the end of July (I doubt it) and the beginning of December. I have no ideas as to the colours.

Ross
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    You lucky ducks. I wish they had an Echo hatch in the US.
    Thanks for the clarification Ross. I'll assume the colors won't change much and pick silver. Can't wait to see what the changes will be like.
    I too like the silver, and will likely go that route if the colours don't change from the current ones. The Japanese domestic model looks very good to me, but, of course, the interior is likely to be quite different in the Canadian addition. Hopefully we will know before long. :)
    I just spoke with my local Toyota dealer Port Alberni, BC, and found out the following. The 5-door hatch, at least, is marked as still being in production. He has no advance ordering material (not the proper term) for the ECHO, but does for the 2006 Corolla and some others. This leads him to believe that the 2006 won't become available until AT LEAST the end of September. So, Carmen1, if your order is being accepted, it looks like you will be getting a 2005. To be honest, I would have absolutely no reservations about getting the current HB. Due to home remodelling costs, I can't reasonably buy until Fall, so I thought that I might as well wait for the 2006. Either way, I don't see how we could lose.
    ;)
    Ross
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Does anyone know for sure yet?
  • snifflessniffles Member Posts: 34
    It looks like the USA will get a hatchback replacement for the Echo in March
    2006. Scroll down towards the bottom of this web site.

• alanyalany Member Posts: 10
    Looking at this article:
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/02/redesign_of_toy.html
    it sounds like the recently revised Japanese version of the Echo includes Toyota's new stop-start system (Intelligent Idling Stop System). Apparently this reduces fuel consumption by an additional 8.5%!

Does anyone know if the 2006 Echo/Yaris for the North American market will offer this? I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in the next few months, and I was concerned when I heard that the 2006 version will be 200 pounds heavier, but if it includes this technology, I'm definitely sold on the Echo. (High fuel efficiency is important to me, since I do a lot of driving.) I'm in Canada, so I'm most likely considering the hatchback model.
    Looks like there has been some change about Toyota's next generation sub-compact:

It seems like the name "Yaris" isn't gonna be used or they're still not sure whether to keep Echo or to go with an all new name! TBD probably means: To Be Decided.
    To Be Disclosed, perhaps? I dunno.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    world TBD - To Be Determined
    That's the one
  • alb25alb25 Member Posts: 3
    The colours that will be available for the 2006 Echo HB will be:

- Polar White
    - Silver Streak Mica
    - Black Sand Pearl
    - Absolutely Red
    - Copper Orange Mica
    - Blazing Blue Metallic
    - Bayou Blue Metallic

There will also be a 3 door RS model in 2006 as well.
    Two questions:
    1) What is the source of your information,

2) What country?
    Work in the auto industry, and am a fellow Canadian. :shades:
    Thanks!! Any recent word as to when they will be available? My last visit to the local dealer (about 2 weeks ago) resulted in discovering that I know a lot more than he did about the 2006. All he could tell me was the 2005 5-door HB was still listed as "in production".
    Tentatively Scheduled Release is October, but we all know that can change.
    Thank you very much for the information. I hope that you are correct as I would like to purchase by the end of the year. Yes, we do know that, don't we? ;)
    I found something very interesting:
    Spyshots and an article about the new 3 door Echo/Yaris we're gonna get in Canada:

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6050415.001/Toyota/1.html

There are more spyshots of the car at the bottom of the page on the right side!

Seems like Toyota's getting ready to launch its new sub-compact here in both 3 and 5 door forms plus the sedan (that's going to arrive later)!
    is all that needs to be said about this situation. It would definitely be nice to get the 3/5 doors over here in the U.S. before 2006. Now an RS 3 Door would be nice, especially if it comes factory turbo' ed. If that also attracts aftermarket support, the next echo would become quite a hot little car. Even if no, it is still shaping up to be an interesting car. And those spy shots question just what the new car will look like. Will it look like the Yaris? May be something new/futuristic (assuming the prius' futuristic looks inspired toyota to bring it down to their economy car)? Don't know, but like I said this will be very interesting. :) I also prey that toyota doesn't do something weird with the options list like they did with the echo. I mean come on, I live in MD and can't even GET power windows! yet people in NC can easily! :mad:

Too bad they had to can the echo before bringing in the replacement. Even though it was ugly (most would say) and most critics didn't love it, it was still an interesting small car. One thing I will note is that Toyota brags about having 9 cars that get over 30mpg's. But when you click on the echo's link it states they no longer make it. Is it just me or does toyota need to update their website? ;)
  • sapoohsapooh Member Posts: 7
    oh... i also agree that they should have waited before bringing the new echo... i mean... it's still new here (even if they had it in europe and asia for years) people are still amazed here and there is gonna be a new one in few months.... c'mon give people a break! i'm somtimes thinking about keeping mine just because it will be famous and rare here soon! (BTW i'm in montreal, quebec, and here it's all over the place... selling 73,000 echo in 2005 only, can't get a new 2005 by now, they've stopped production... or imports for quebec... must wait for 2006) :shades:
    I was at the local dealer today, and got a printout of the specs for the 2006 3 & 5 door Echos. Both have on RS level of trim now. I'll just note a few of the changes. Feel free to ask if I don't include what you wish to know. BTW, the colours are as listed in a prior post.
    Engine is now ULEV rather than LEV :)
    CD player standard in all models
    Power remote mirrors are standard on all but the 3-door CE model
    Power windows are now part of the "B Package", at least on the 5-door
    ABS is no longer standard on 5-door - is part of "B package" (A/C, ABS, Keyless, P/Windows)
    60/40 rear seats only available on RS :(
    HB now seats 5 rather than 4
    Length is now 150.6" (3.5" increase)
    Width 66.7" (+2.3")
    Height 60.0" (+0.9")
    Wheelbase 96.9" (+3.6")
    Ground Clear. 5.5" (+0.75")
    Weights are up 166-184 lbs depending on model (2300-2385lbs)
    Net load capacity is up from 716 to 885 lbs
    Fuel capacity is DOWN from 45 litres to 42. :confuse:
    Fuel consumption rating is slightly poorer overall.
  • sapoohsapooh Member Posts: 7
    rossm2-
    do you know if ABS will be standard on 3 doors CE? (really usefull in quebec winters)
    and do you know about the options? like spoilers, skirts, mags, leather wheel, sport pedals...?
    but most important, do you know when it will be for sell? (i just can't wait to get it) :shades:
    According to my information sheet, ABS is NOT standard on the CE (3-door) or LE (5-door), but is included in the "B Package" as indicated in the prior post. I suspect it is not available as a stand-alone option either, but I'm not certain. If you are interested in mags, skirts, leather wheel, spoiler, etc, just get the RS as they are all included. But, to answer your question, I haven't seen an option list as one isn't available as yet, but I'm sure they will all be available as they are now.

As for when, the betting (from several sources) says sometime in October for the first arrivals. Hope this helps. ;)

Ross
    I almost got my new Echo but Hertz or some other rental company took the whole fleet so I have to wait for the next shipment. I was told it should be in by August. Apparently if a company takes the whole fleet, they get first dibs over other dealerships that were first in line. What a rip!

I can't wait any longer, the transit system near my area SUCKS! and my cycling legs are giving out.

Thanks to rossm2 for giving the specs on the 2006 Echo. I ordered my car but had no idea what the changes were. Why did Toyota change the specs to give less mileage? I was happy with the 2005 model. Why make it bigger when the whole point was to make a fuel efficient line? That could explain why the 2005 sold out suddenly at the North Van dealership when I went to buy it in June. I think people were aware of these changes.