Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    swbo101 -

Of course, I haven't seen the car yet, but I thought I'd write about putting heavy things on top of the folded-down rear seats. I did that a couple of years ago in my 4Runner when purchasing cases and cases of water and soda for a disaster drill. I ended up ripping the upholstery at the seatback's pivot point on both sides when the heavy load compressed the rear seat cushion beyond where it normally lies. Yaris may be built differently with no seam at that point, but it is something to check out first.
  • doubledouble Member Posts: 44
    Back seat fabric for the cushions are both separate from each other. The back also has a hard shell cover that can be flipped over the back of the seat when folded semi-flat.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You said in part:

Bigger capacity fuel tank would be better, of course. But there may be design limitations.

I think that may be the case. Ford increased the size of its gas tank, only when it upgraded the gas tank to satisfy the longevity/vapor release requirements for PZEV certification in California. (The VW Golf, on a similar sized platform, has always managed a 15 gallon tank.)

I suspect the following factors enter into gas tank design:

(i) Cost - plastic is cheaper than metal.

(ii) Crash design - must survive in a "crush space." Metal and plastic may have different "crash" characteristics (how does each deform? how resistant to punctures is each material?).

(iii) Thickness (is metal thinner than plastic?).

(iv)Fuel economy ratings - most test cycles presume a certain percentage full tank, and smaller gas tanks mean a lighter car during economy tests. (Also a reason in some cars for compact spares - the low mileage rated VW Golf has a full sized spare in addition to that large sized gas tank....)

I think there is also the unspoken "11 gallon" rule for Toyota. No matter what they make in the way of a small car, it always works out to 11 gallons.
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    http://toyota.jp/belta/

It's the 4 door JDM sedan/saloon variant of the Yaris/Vitz, which for the prior generation was called the Platz and Echo sedan. It's supposed to be the Yaris sedan coming to the Us next year.
  • jordisjordis Member Posts: 10
    It looks Toyota "Yaris" used Canada only for advertisement purposes
    You are probably right, by the way they are arriving here in dribs and drabs. With pushing delivery now into the new year they have effectively brought the Vitz to North America and now have the big launch in the US after doing a winter shakedown in Canada. Wow how do I feel being a tester for the factory in Japan!!! :sick:
  • poyntzpoyntz Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have real time tests themselves on Yaris gas mileage? I have a White LE/B automatic on order here in BC.

Supposed to be here last week of Dec.. It was ordered a week ago. Don't know if it is a 2006 or 2007. Probably 2006.
  • swngswng Member Posts: 15
    My 06 3-dr auto RS achieved about 513kms out of about 37 litres for the first tank. That is nothing to be proud of. I have heard that some other people can do better, or worse.
  • barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    That's 7.2 litres per 100km. That's not bad for the first tank!!

I'd sure be happy with that.
    I finally got to take a Yaris for a test drive today, from a local dealer here in Ottawa. It was a 2 door RS 5 speed (stick).

The engine is very responsive and peppy...revs freely, feels quick, even without pushing it too hard (I took it pretty easy, there were only 25 km on this baby!).

The transmission was great. Clutch was light and smooth, the shifter felt nice...very precise, a little bit notchy (brand new). Felt Honda-like to me, more-so than other Toyotas I've driven. Downshifts were incredibly easy (5th down to 4th was effortless). Only thing I noticed was that the brake and accelerator are pretty close together...I kept catching the left edge of my shoe on the brake while shifting. I think the placement is probably fine, might just take a little getting used to.

Handling was quick and precise, steering feel was very good. Ride was very nice for such a small car, helped no doubt by the relatively long wheelbase and the 15 inch (versus 14 inch base) tires on the RS. Felt very stable on the highway at speed, and was surprisingly quiet when cruising in 5th as well.

Seats were comfortable, and the car was actually quite roomy inside. Compared to the Echo hatch, there seems to be a lot more shoulder room...the claustrophobic feeling is gone. And no more punching your passenger's knee while shifting into 5th, as was the case in the Echo.

Overall I have to say I was very impressed. It is a step above the Echo hatch in every way...styling (although I admit that's a subjective thing), better and more responsive engine, nicer tranny, improved ride and handling. Quieter, and roomier.

Ain't no re-badged Echo, that's for sure. Yaris is different and significantly better, in my opinion. Feels solid in terms of quality, not "econo-boxy".

Also asked the salesman about the 2006 versus 2007 model year issue. He confirmed that the 2007s will come out early, in spring, to coincide with the US release. However, between now and then they expect to continue to receive 2006's. Production of 2006s has not stopped, at least according to him.

He also firmly believes that Toyota will hold the line on 2007 pricing, to keep the entry-point competitive with Hyundai, Kia etc.

:D
  • yaris1yaris1 Member Posts: 3
    Took delivery of my Yaris LE 5 door automatic a few weeks ago. The first tank (38.6 litres to refill yesterday) gave me 521 km = 7.4 l/100 km. :( Driving was mostly highway (80%) in below freezing weather.

I am a little disappointed with this, but it is a first tank (don't know how well the dealer filled it). I hope to see improvement after a few tankfuls.
    I have had my new Yaris rustproofed by Ziebart, and I want to check to see whether the doors have been treated properly.

I can't see how to remove the inner panels. I suspect they pull off after removing the single screw in the inner door pull (rear door), but I am afraid of breaking something by pulling too hard.

Any tips?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The cars engine will not be fully broken in for several thousand kms, and like you said, temperatures were below freezing. I would wait until at LEAST after your first oil change. Also, how were you driving? Its best to generally vary RPMs but not dig in hard for the first couple thousand kms...

~alpha
    Agree. Indeed, consumption should improve over the next while. Yes, driving at variable speed, limiting speed to 110 km/hr, keeping rpms down, very gentle when cold. Hope to be able to report improvements later.
    Man, drive it like you stole it, breaking in is so old fashioned with these new engines. My first tanks of fuel all were in the 50 mpg range, with both city and highway driving. 3000 on her now in a month. :shades:
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Do you have the 2 door or 4 door Yaris?
    I think the 4 door is much more attractive than the 2 door...but to each his own. :confuse:
    Yaris gets glowing review from Edmunds.com! Wow! And 34/40 with the 5M sure beats the Accent/Rio! Too bad the safety options are a la carte.

Happily, edmunds.com seemed satisfied with the power and refinement of the 1.5L as well. And Optitron instrumentation in the LE sedans, thats pretty darn nice. Im actually a HUGE fan of the styling of this sedan as well.

~alpha
    3 dr. CE with LE package, 5 speed /air, Copper Orange Mica. ;)
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    Im actually a HUGE fan of the styling of this sedan as well.

Me too. The preview motivated me to check out this Yaris thread. :)
    I much prefer the instrumentation and control layout, as well as color scheme, in the sedan. (Based on the pictrues only, of course)

~alpha
  • serge79serge79 Member Posts: 10
    I wonder if we will have the sedan here in Canada?... since we already have the 5 door and the U.S. doesn't? We have the 2006 Yaris 5 door and 3 door. Maybe for 2007 we will have the sedan, the 3 door and the 5 door...? I hope so because this small sedan is very nice looking, it looks like a mini version of the new 2007 Camry that's coming out in the next few months.
    I'm not sure if we'll get the sedan in Canada, but I hope we will. Would be nice to have a choice between the hatch and the sedan.

Unlike the previous butt-ugly Echo sedan, the Yaris sedan looks really nice! Much nicer and more modern looking than the Rio or Accent...which are OK cars but pretty sleep-inducing, style wise.

C'mon Toyota Canada...bring 'em on.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I stopped into my local Toyota dealer today to take a look at the new RAV-4. Seems they are holding off any public viewing until Monday or Tuesday, but they gave me a brochure. I also asked about the Yaris, and talked at length with their senior sales rep (the guy who trains all their other sales reps). He pulled out some info he recently got at a briefing. These documents indicated the first shipments of the Yaris to the Chicago Region (Central U.S.) will be in late February. There will be only a handful of Yarii per dealer in that shipment, but they will get them in proportion to how many ECHOes they used to sell. The proportion between sedans and 3-doors works out to about 60/40. Also he said that 94% of the Yarii would be automatics. (Sorry, stick fans. I don't know if that means in this first shipment or in the future too.) He said the starting price would be about $11,500 and that Toyota was trying to keep the price close to that of the Scions (makes sense, they are similar cars). And he said he has heard the U.S. will get the 5-door eventually.

I asked him to call me when he gets one in, so he started a "Yaris call list" on his computer.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    That is indeed the 2007 Yaris sedan for the North American market-- what an improvement over the ugly-duckling ECHO. I think it will sell well here in the US, even at 14-15K pricing for popular models. The Toyota name and sterling reputation alone are worth several thousand dollars in lower maintenance costs and potential trade-in value.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I like it actually. My wife might like it too as she likes smaller cars, and this isn't too expensive.

And it'd make a great starter car for my son. (albeit he wants a Saab convertible)
    TheYaris in Canada is both 3 and 5 door versions. they are keeping the Echo name plate on the sedan.
  • serge79serge79 Member Posts: 10
    The Echo sedan is still here for 2006, but for 2007 the Echo will not be available and the name will certainly not be kept. We don't know if the Yaris sedan or (Belta) sedan will be available in Canada. Toyota Canada has not announced or decided anything yet. It is possible that we only get the 3 door and the 5 door for the model year 2007. The Echo sedan and its name is gone after this year!
    I like the sedan a lot- still haven't warmed up to the hatchback look yet.

Hmmm... Has Toyota announced US Pricing yet?

$14,000 for an LE automatic sedan with all the safety gadgets sounds highly reasonable.
    That would be fantastic, since it would undercut a comparably-equipped Accent by about $1400.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    wemight eventually get the 5-door? That would be the one I would want most, although I suppose I might settle for a 3-door.

94% BETTER not be the automatic mix for the entire model run. :mad:

I will certainly be interested exclusively in a manual.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I'm sure that's not the price Toyota would set though- they could probably get $15,500 for a Yaris.
    I completely agree with you. I have a feeling a Yaris LE 4 door with Convenience Pkg and Side Curtains will be about $15,500, or $1000 more than the Accent.

~alpha
    Hard to say...in Canada the base Accent and base Yaris are priced essentially the same. But yes, dress them up with the option packages and the Hyundais usually end up a bit cheaper. Your estimate of $1000 difference for a popularly equipped Yaris vs. Accent may turn out to be pretty accurate for the U.S. market.

That said, I would still probably pay the $1000 difference and get the Toyota. Hyundai has made huge improvements in quality, and the 2006 Accent has got some pretty good press, BUT the Yaris design is more cutting edge, and the reliability and long term driveability will likely turn out to be bulletproof.

And a final note....in terms of resale value, the minute you drive it off the lot, you'll be happy you bought the Toy vs. the Hyundai. The Echo hatches in Canada have retained their value VERY strongly. The Accent... well, fair or unfair, you can pick up a used Accent for a song.

Barnee
    I think that I would pay $15,500 for such a car- after all, the Civic is $18,000ish nowadays.

But if I wait a year or two for prices to come down, I may be able to snatch one at invoice + $500ish.
  • mikecaponemikecapone Member Posts: 47
    The Edmunds piece on the Yaris sedan and hatchback made me wonder about something

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=108501#18

Will that version of the sedan come out in Canada in april 2006 too? Here we already have the Yaris hatchback, but the sedan is still the previous generation Echo.

Anybody know when we will get the new generation?
  • jmiller1984jmiller1984 Member Posts: 19
    Maybe I'll have to wait until the Yaris comes out to get a definitive answer to this question, but exactly how is the Yaris appreciably different than the current Scion xA? We have a 2004 xA and everything I've seen and read about the Yaris is very reminiscent of the Scion. From what I understand, the Yaris will share the xA's existing drivetrain, they are virtually the same size inside and out, and the Yaris even has the center-mounted instrument cluster. Sure, it wears a different skin and the interior photos look a little more upscale, but exactly what's the difference!?! Even the expected price is virtually identical to the xA. What am I missing?
    the Scion only comes with a black interior, while I'm hoping that you can get a Yaris with a lighter interior.

the Scion has no haggle pricing while the price of a Yaris is subject to negotiation.

the xA is a five door hatchback. The Yaris comes in either a 3 door hatchback or a sedan.

Otherwise, the Yaris is basically the xA repackaged. :)
    Isn't the Yaris sedan bigger (wheelbase, back seat room) etc. than the xA? That's the impression I got from looking at specs and reading reviews. Also the luggage space of the Yaris (back seat up) seems much bigger than that on the xA. The Yaris sedan IMO also seems to have a more refined interior than the xA.
    The Yaris also has better fuel economy than the Scion, AFAIK. Probably has mostly to do with the gearing of the transmission.
    Also a lot more aerodynamic than a 2 piece box. :shades:
  • jdgriswaldjdgriswald Member Posts: 11
    The Yaris is basically much more refined than the xA. I've test driven the xA and had a hands on the Yaris, and must say I prefer the Yaris.
    Final drive ratio is more acceptable for a highway drive technically and anecdotally speaking, there's more rear leg room, engine controls are more advanced, etc., etc. Face it, the xA is a 4-5 year old design, and it's starting to show it's age.
    If importing a 5-door from Canada wasn't such a pain, I'd already have a Yaris. Here's hoping the give us the 5-door in the Fall, as some have suggested.
  • hb1hb1 Member Posts: 3
    OK, I'll be the one to enter post number 666 since no one else seems to want to.
    I've owned a 1981 Starlet and a 1997 Tercel and I can't wait until I can get rid of my current car (2002 Suzuki Aerio SX) so I can buy a new Yaris 3 door liftback. It'll be as close to my old Starlet as I can possibly find. I had that car for 18 years and 205,000 miles. Hopefully my new Yaris will last as long.
    The people from the US who have an eye on the Yaris should probably also check out the Honda Fit. It is coming to the US next spring.
    Also the Accent (like the Yaris, offered as a 4-door and 3-door in the U.S. by spring), Rio (4-door and 5-door), and Versa (5-door in spring, 4-door later in 2006). Soon there will be all kinds of good small car choices in the U.S. and Canada!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Saw the article about the Sedan, WOW. The dash is cool. I also like the two tone interior, the rear center armrest and it has a decent trunk.

I thought about of getting a Camry (sometime in the future), but this is a nice alternative.
    Is not the Fit going to be significantly smaller than the Yaris sedan? I believe I recall reading the Fit will be about 155 inches, whereas the Yaris Sedan stretches 169. Its a good deal longer than the previous ECHO sedan...

~alpha
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Yaris Picture

Yaris appears "fast" in the picture link.

Nice.
    RS model with ground effects. Gearing etc is all the same no matter what model. CE, LE, RS. :D
    That's not the new 2006/2007 Yaris. That's the previous Echo 3-door Echo Hatch, which was sold under the name "Yaris" in Europe.

The new Yaris has completely different body work. You can see pics of the new Yaris on the Toyota sites. It's already being sold in Canada, here's a couple links to test-drive articles with pics.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/06yaris2.htm

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/06yaris.htm
  • just_drivingjust_driving Member Posts: 1
    I think the echo replacement looks awesome and is expected to have great mpg (34/40). However, the instrument cluster in the center of the dash really kills it for me. I hate it on the Mini, and Scions. Does anybody feel the same way? Does anybody know if that will change in production?