Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

uv4meuv4me Member Posts: 22
edited May 2014 in Volvo
Does anyone have any info regarding when we will see the new C50 in showrooms? Also, will the car be offered in AWD?

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• volvo4lifnalvolvo4lifnal Member Posts: 16
    I work for a Volvo dealership in Alabama. We were told by our Market Manager that the new convertible (based on the current S40/V50) would be available in April of 2006.
    Since the S40 and V50 are available in AWD, I would suspect the convertible would have that option as well.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    any chance that there will be a C50 coupe? And if so, would it get AWD?
  • aw57aw57 Member Posts: 12
    I noticed that Edmunds future vehicles changed the listing from the C50 to the C30. Is the C50 dead? I went to my dealer and was told that the new Volvo convertible won't be available until this time next year. Since that is too long for me, I didn't bother to ask him if the new model will be the C30 (which seems small) or the C50 (which I thought would be comparable in size to the C70).
    First I've heard of it, but yes, it looks like it'll be the C30

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I was hoping for a S40 sized convertible with a folding hardtop.
  • aw57aw57 Member Posts: 12
    That's what the C50 was supposed to be. I think the C30 will be much smaller. Volvo may be making a mistake.
    How many people want a Volkswagen Beetle sized convertible? Not me. I would want something with enough room for four people.
    According to the March 05 Automobile magazine, the convertible is based on the S40, looks similar to the S40 and is due in April of 06. The C30 is due in 07 and shares a platform with the S40, but is a three door hatchback. Both cars are to be built. The C30 is loosely based on the 3CC concept from the Detroit show. FYI they are also planning a small SUV based on the S40 platform. Look for the article in Automobile for more information.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Yay! I love hatchbacks.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    What's a Volve?
    Will it come with AWD?
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    A stupid spelling mistake: volvo
    Spelling mistake fixed :0

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    Thanks!
  • bonsbons Member Posts: 45
    Too much anxiety over anticipations of these vehicles. Just bought my S40 in Feb, would probably buy all 3 models (C30, C50, and S40-based SUV) when they are available. So far I like what I see in the 3CC, a brilliant concept, and if they are able to make the new C30 90% like the 3CC it will be a hit for sure. A C50 convertible would be a nice addition to Volvo line-up. I hope they also add a true sport car like a P1800, a sport car comaparable to a Corvette (like the old days) to their line-up soon. A small SUV comaparable to the Freelander or X3 is nice . . . I am Volvo for Life as long as there's something Sweed about it.
  • heisnsteinheisnstein Member Posts: 45
    I'm unsure if the C30 is the C70 referred to in the article linked below, but here are pictures of the S40 based convertible coming to the States.

http://www.autovisie.nl/news/items/20050603T0944058_0.xml
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    Yup, I think that is the C50 that is way overdue here in the states.

I like this one!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

A lot like the current C70.

Nevertheless, I like how the C70 looks.

If it had that ultra cool slim center console, it'd be very cool.

I like it!
    I normally view Volvo with a kindly eye, as they have been dramatically improving and are actually stylish vehicles now. If someone had told me that they would have a sexy convetible fifteen years ago, I would have laughed at them. A lot.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I too have always liked Volvos even when they were boxcars. That pic looks good, should be a hit if Volvo promotes it this time, unlike the current C70.

M
    me too....

I've always liked Volvos... And Saabs, for that matter...

The new 9-7X is beginning to make me wonder what Saab's future might be...
    The C70 isn't a bad car at all, but like Lincoln's LS, it wasn't advertised. At all.
    Saab's future. Oof. There's a thread about in in N&V.
    I too liked Saabs and still do, but only the 9-3 and once GM replaces it with a Chevy or Pontiac based vehicle "Saab" will no longer hold my attention.

M
    The 9-3 and 9-5, and with the deals on the 9-2X, I sorta like it.

Once they dump the 9-3 and 9-5, I'm moving on...

I really liked the 1999-2002 Saab 9-3 hatchback...
  • bradkurtzbradkurtz Member Posts: 24
    I think you guys are right, but have the names worng. A V30 is coming that will be much like the A3 from Audi, a smaller S30 version is rumored. These are '07 cars at earleiest, the convertible is S40 sized adn will beintorduced in September.
    Will it be called C50, or C30?
    With Ford expected to move Jaguar upmarket into Bentley territory, are they leaving Volvo to compete with Audi, MB, BMW, Lexus? I am confused. I love Volvos personally, but this would be a huge step for Volvo. I mean, ten years ago they were refrgerator boxes.

I think that the convertible will be called the C50, as it is supposed to be like an S40 conv. It's kind of in keeping with how the S40 wagon is called the V50.
    Volvo is supposed to be a niche automaker.
    With Ford expected to move Jaguar upmarket into Bentley territory

Where did you see that?

M
    I saw something on the Inside Line news that hinted that, and I've heard rumors flying around that they will. I mean, it would make sense if they did..... Still, only rumors.

I really find it hard to swallow that Volvo is going to be a niche-er. From the new things they are rolling out, it looks like they are targeting lower-end Audi's for less money. And this retractable hardtop reeks (or smells nicely, whichever you wish) of Mercedes.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    I'm pretty sure the name of Volvo's new convertible is the C50, not the C30. In light of this fact, could you rename this forum?

Thanks
  • empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    Seems to be a lack of information on this car. Anyone know engines sizes and whether there will be an AWD version. When will the car hit dealersips. Driving a1999 s80 now, nice car but not that reliable.... if only Volvo could fix their reliability. :sick:
    Our info from Volvo still says it's the C30 - we'll wait for confirmation before changing the title.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• volvolover88volvolover88 Member Posts: 1
    I have loved Volvo since I was born since my mom worked for Volvo Corporation. They are excellent cars and I have a 1997 850 myself. The new C50 is the convertible based on the current S40, and the C30 is a totally different vehicle that is based on the two concepts the 3CC and the SCC. They both should be great additions to the banging volvo lineup. In the near future I hope to be driving an S40 T5 AWD, but if the C50 comes out soon I might change my mind and go for the C50. We will have to see but I LOVE VOLVO-VOLVO FOR LIFE!!
    It is the C70. It does look alot like the S40. Beware of Photoshop pictures of the convertible. The link in message 19 shows the actual car. Look for center mounted brake light in the deck lid. The word Volvo is under it. The rear end is reworked from the S40. The twin tailpipes are straight, not pointed down like the S40. The back seat looks to be nearly the same space as the S40 but narrower. only holding two people. The seatbelts for the backseat are mounted in the middle of the seat, not on the outside. The front end is a little different. Sleeker with different front facia and I think different headlights. The interior is not exactly the same either. I was able to see handles on the doors with aluminum inserts. The top was down and the Volvo people would not put it up. It appears that the deck will open one direction to swallow the roof and still open for the trunk too. Can't wait to see how that operation will unfold. The car is to debut at the Frankfurt show in September. Retailers will begin taking preorders soon after. Come next Feb., retailers should get one or two demos for people to drive and hopefully order. The official on-sale date as of now is April 1, 2006. The car looks great, very sleek and refined. Definitely the prettiest Volvo ever built. The car I saw was in a new Silver color that Volvo is introducing on the whole line for 2006. The interior was Off Black. The wheels were like the ones in the photos above. The badging on the back said C70 on the left and T5 on the right corner. We were given no info about options, pricing or colors. I believe the car will be priced similarly to the outgoing C70, thus the name. The 04 C70 is priced in the upper 30's to low 40's. If you called it a C40 or C50, that price point may be tough to swallow. From all I have seen, the car should sell like wildfire. I would've taken pictures, but cell phones with cameras were collected before the event. Hope this clears up some misinformation that is out there.
    What event did you see the show at... any idea what engines will be offered and whether an AWD version will be offered... thanks again
    Other than the Turbo 5 cyl that this one seemed to have, I don't know of any other engine choices.
    I saw the car at a training event for Volvo retailers. The event was for the existing product line. The C70 was pulled out during dinner. No one was allowed to get too close. Guess they don't want too much info getting out. Just enough to build interest.
    Thanks for your answer, one final question.. do you know when details on the c70 will be provided to the dealers ...thanks again
    it'll be called the C70? Then will Volvo build a slightly smaller C50?
  • rositarosita Member Posts: 2
    i heard there will be a c70 and a c40 new style
    actually and i hear this overseas where i am living right now. sometimes new travels slower to the states.
  • rositarosita Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know when the new convertible volvo is coming out? i am interested in the new steel top like the mercedes. heard it was going to come out in c40 model.
    I was told by someone involved with Volvo, in product launches, that the vehicle would be unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto show in September. After that, retailers would receive information on taking pre-orders (ie. pricing and option/color info) in October. Retailers are to get a demo model in Feb-Mar and the car officially goes on sale April 1, 2006.
    I have not heard anything about a C50. I have heard about a compact SUV, probably an XC50 comparable to the Land Rover Freelander. The car I saw said C70 on the tailgate. That is all I have to base my information on.
    Ah. Ok. All the magazines have reported the next generation Volvo convertible as a C50 though...

Any news on the XC50?
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    I have a question for you guys. I have the opportunity to buy a friend's used 325cic (convertible). It is loaded - power everything - heated seats; comfort package (fully automatic retractable roof)(not sport package); harmon kardon stereo; steptronic automatic. 2004. 10k miles. Mint condition. Blue book is probably 36 or so.

Should I buy it, or wait and buy the new Volvo convertible, ...or wait less and buy a Pontiac Solstice?

I could always buy it and drive it until they get the first year bugs out of the Volvo (or the Solstice), and then sell the BMW.
    My thought on that is Volvo wants to distance the new convertible from its sedan and wagon siblings because of pricing. I expect the pricing to start in the upper 30's. That puts it several thousand dollars over the S40 and in the range of the V70 wagon. Would people buy a C50 with an MSRP of $41500 with an S40 sitting next to it for $31500?

I don't have any reliable news on the XC50 yet.
    If you can "steal" it, I'd buy it. The Solstice is a good looking vehicle, but it is all new. The Volvo convertible is a new model, but the engine has been around since the mid 90's and the platform it is starting its third model year. It doesn't sound like it is a major issue, but the BMW has no space in the back seat. Also expect values to drop on the 04 when the new 06 3 Series convertible debuts. That is why I say, if you can steal it, sure buy it.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Here's some news on the XC50, the most that I've found anywhere.

http://automobilemag.com/2007_sneak_preview/0505_volvo_xc50/

BTW, what exactly will this new Volvo convertible be called? This forum is C30, but everywhere else it's C70, and I've even seen C50. So what is it?

I would imagine C30/C50, so a larger more powerful/luxurious coupe can come in called the C70/C90
This discussion has been closed.