Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Well, we got our first 6spd in.
    What a difference a tranny makes!
    The car is much more lively with the manual gearbox.
    The shifter is a little rubbery, but the car is much more responsive.
    Too bad that not many people have opted for this setup.
    Get a 6spd, w/ fatter sway bars and a 1" drop and you would have one bad [non-permissible content removed] ride!
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    What's the regular road clearance of the new C70? I can't imagine dropping my 99 an inch and having a drivable car, especially with potholes and speedbumps, and the concrete barriers in parking lots. Goldie, already has more than enough scrapes on her front air dam. :sick:
    Clearance is 5.5"

The C70 nose is pretty high for a Volvo.
    The engineers put a black deflector under the front end to divert airflow.
  • yankees338yankees338 Member Posts: 28
    What's the deal with ones on order with navigation systems? I've been hearing they are delayed. Anyone have any input on adding a non-volvo installed navigation system? Is it worth the extra money to have one that matches the "decor" of the interior. Usually, don't you pay more for a less intuitive system?

We have an Acura MDX with a navigation system and we've gotten plenty of use out of it. That cost us $2000 though; aren't most servicable after-market systems under $1000? I doubt anyone has put one into a New C70.
    Yes, there are many aftermarket units for well less than $1k. My Gsrmin C320 was @400. Check out models from Garmin, Tom Tom, and Magellan. They also make models for over $1k. Also check the Aftermarket/Accessories Board.
  • laxdadlaxdad Member Posts: 12
    I posted the original note and based on other posts I am not sure if I was given a story to justify a missed delivery promise. I can tell you that I now have a VIN and that the car is on a boat to the U.S.

I ordered the NAV since I have one in my XC90T6 and have been very happy with it. Also have a GMC Denali and the Volvo NAV is easier to use and more precise than the GMC model.

I thought a moment about an aftermarket system but decided that I would be more comfortable with a standard unit. Would hate to leave the top down and return to the car with the GPS unit removed!
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    laxdad.
    i'm assuming you are in los angeles as well... would you mind sharing which dealer you are working with.. culver city, santa monica or irvine/orange county? we have similar situations and we ordered about the same time (Oct/Nov timeframe)... i think our color choices are the only difference. I have yet to receive a VIN, but will be calling dealer today to check in.
    Good news that it's on the boat! True, about potential theft. The Garmin manual even mentions to not leave the unit visible when out of the car. Maybe, those five lockable compartments will come in handy. My 1st gen just has the glove box....and the trunk. The big plus is being able to move it to another car, or when traveling, a rental.
    Glad yours is on a boat... I called dealer today and was told my delivery is now "scheduled for mid- to late July, but may come sooner." There is apparantly a VIN number for the car. So, from mid-March to April to June to July... nearly 1 full year since placing a deposit... actually, if July is accurate it will have been nine months - almost like a pregnancy with nearly as much anticipation.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Hopefully with not as many birth pangs! Ouch... :surprise:
    First, there are no delays due to the nav system. It is the same one used in the S40.
    ALL the C70's have been delayed. Volvo has found out that mass producing the car is harder than they initially anticipated.
    Second, there are alot of aftermarket systems out there.
    None of them can be integrated w/ the factory equipment.
    I have driven the C70 top down w/ the Nav system and the screen is very readable in sunlight in all points of the compass.
    However, it is alot to spend money on.
    For half the price you can get a nice unit that sits on your dash.
    LAX area - I wish! Used to live in Newport, now Chicago Area.
  • asjaasja Member Posts: 22
    We're ordering a new C70 with manual 6 speed, but debating the options. Specifically, whether the upgraded stereo is worth $1500, as well as the 18" wheels.

Also, we're considering OSD. The Volvo website claims there is an 8% discount, but the dealer wants msrp, claiming no discounts on this particular model. True?

And out of curiosity, what is the age range of C70 buyers?
    I think the stereo is worth the money.
    As for the wheels, that depends on where you live.
    If you are in the South, Southwest or West Coast you are fine.
    Anywhere else, you may want the 17"s instead.

OSD is not an option for the C70 at this time.
    If you do not already have an order w/ OSD you will have to wait until sometime after the 1st of next year.
    The OSD price is the same as the US sticker price, except you are not charged the $695 destination fee and you recieve the 2 complementary round trip tickets.
  • asjaasja Member Posts: 22
    I live in Virginia. I'm not sure about the difference between 17" and 18". Why would 17 be better?

Our dealer has a cutoff date for OSD orders by this Friday. Just spoke with him, and I am dropping of a deposit tomorrow for OSD, to be picked up in October.
    Good luck with that delivery. According to posts on swedespeed.com from a Volvo dealer, there are NO MORE delivery slots for C70's for OSD until after January 1.

Of course he could be wrong, but he posted that info a couple weeks ago.

Just out of curiousity, what dealer are you working with? I'm in the No. Va. area.
    there are no more open spaces for an OSD order on a C70.
    If your dealer has an existing order that is going to cancel, then a substitution would be allowed.
    However, no new orders will be accepted.
  • heymjoheymjo Member Posts: 8
    I called OSD the other day. They told me that I should call back in October for info on the OSD for 07. Obvioulsy all 06's are sold out. They don't know yet how many C70's would be produced for 07. As far as i know, there still is the 8% discount on the C70 for OSD, at least that is what I was told. Since it's a new ball game for next year, I would expect conditons to change, but we probably won't know until October.
  • tsk1tsk1 Member Posts: 31
    The pricing for the 2007 C70 OSD delivery is set. There is no discount, other than the SAS air for 2, one nights lodging and no $695 destination fee. Volvo took a risk on the C70, made a significant investment and needs to contribute to Fords bottom line. Here is one link to the OSD pricing (which I have confirmed with multiple dealers)through Stillman Volvo
    http://www.stillmanvolvo.com/new.overseas_pricing.php
    There is no discount for the 07 C70's on OSD. Aside from waiving the $695 destination fee.
    As far as I am aware, this pricing policy will remain in effect for cars delivered in CY 07 as well.
  • cdk2cdk2 Member Posts: 19
    I had been told when ordering my C70 that the Volvo production facility basically shuts down for the month of June, and if you did not have an order placed prior to this, you would have to order for the 2007 model year. But, that got me to thinking...

In my prior rants (I mean posts) about the delay in delivery for the C70, I detailed how my delivery date that was given me went from May, to June, to mid- or late July. But, if the factory closes June 1...why wouldn't a car get here sometime in June at the absolute latest??

I have to say that my first experience with ordering a new car from Volvo has not been smooth.....
    Actually, the plants typically close in July.
    06 orders for June have been closed for a while now.

07 allocation will be released, hopefully in the next 30 days.

Volvo has pushed back the dates for all C70's. As of right now, we don't have a hard and fast date for 07 deliveries.
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    I think if you had ordered any other Volvo than the brand new unreleased C70 your experience would have been fine. Because you want what is still considered the future C70 you going to have these issues to deal with.
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    Well I for one do not have to deal with these issues, as I cancelled my contract; however, had my timeframes not been delayed I would have not had the opportunity to pursue other options, thus Volvo losing a sale.
  • madon1madon1 Member Posts: 6
    I am located in Salem Oregon. Where are you? I picked up my car on the 26th of April. Hope you get yours soon.
    madon1, I'm in Southern California. Dealer tells me my car is due late July. What color and options did you get? I'm thinking my color choice combined with the production issues mentioned previously are the reason for my delay... perhaps I should have gone for silver or black instead of flint grey.
  • blamb3blamb3 Member Posts: 41
    I ordered a flint grey C70 in December and was told April delivery, then May, then late June or July - I cancelled that order - I live in Wisconsin and August is pretty close to the end of top down weather. It just seemed to me that for the limited top down use I'ld get I'm better off with an 07, rather than take the depreciation hit on an 06, when my top down usage would be limited. I'm still planning on purchasing the C70 unless BMW gets it's hardtop convertible to market at a price within $3,000 of The C70 - my C70 is $43,500, leather all 3 packages, and the 6 speed manual tranny. I did not order the navigation system.
    The reason your car has been delayed is because ALL C70's(except for the dealer demo cars) have been delayed.
    The only colors that were difficult to order were Silver and Pearl White.
  • empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    Volvomax -

What is the reason for the delays. I recall some one said that the C70s proved more difficult to build in quantities than expected. Is this a sign of future mechanical problems??
    If anything, the delays should minimize any future mechanical issues.

The Uddevalla plant is very small. Until recent times it didn't have a proper assembly line.
    The old C70 was built using a "team" concept which meant alot of hand assembly. Doing this meant you could only build a few thousand cars per year.
    Now, Volvo is trying to go from 3000 cars per yr at one plant to 16000 cars/yr.
    That is a big jump. Also, Volvo brought Pininfarina to the game pretty late. the Italians have been scrambling to get the production smoothed out.
    We have had our demo car for almost 2 months. During that time it has been on numerous test drives and the top has gone up and down something like 5 times a day!
    Not one mechanical hiccup.
  • cdk2cdk2 Member Posts: 19
    But, there shouldn't be any further dalays for a 2006 model, right?? I mean, going from a delivery date in May to June to end of July (within about a 3 week window !!!) seems ridiculous, and I agree with blamb3 that if there were another month or 6 week delay, that the heavy usage I would get from a convertible would be over, and looking at the BMW hardtop, or waiting for a 2007 C70 would make sense.
    Having ordered the car in November it is my opinion that Volvo / Ford released the car to the public too early. Now you just have upset customers. In hindsight, Volvo would have been better off releasing as a 07 model year, getting several months of production under their belt and having cars to sell in spring 07. Instead they rushed the product to market and can't deliver on time.
    The 06's are going down the line as we speak.
    They will arrive in the US between June and August.
  • millenrmillenr Member Posts: 28
    I called my dealer today to inquire about my C70. He checked on the computer and said that it was being loaded and still had delivery for 1st week in July. He also had a VIN number for me. Do they assign VIN numbers when the car is started or when it is finished? Just trying to validate that the car is finished or not.
    volvomax, so you are telling us those who have received delivered cars were sold the dealers demo vehicles? and, just curious, why would silver be difficult to order if all the dealer demos were silver?
    VIN's are assigned while the car is being built. however, the CIS report(which is how dealers track their cars) doesn't show the VIN until the car is completed.
    Volvo Cars built the demos to their specs. They essentially built 2 colors,Silver and Black.

When it came time for the dealers to spec their own cars, Silver was restricted along w/ Pearl White.
    Pearl I understand, the paint process is very time consuming and screws up the assembly line.
    Silver, I still have no idea why it was restricted.
    Precisely my point. Model year ends in 5 weeks. Then it's on to 07 MY. What's done is done, Volvo lost.
    Precisely my point. Model year ends in 5 weeks. Then it's on to 07 MY. What's done is done, Volvo lost.

Model year ends in 5 weeks according to whom?
    Volvo hasn't lost a thing. Please understand that.
    The average dealer is getting 8 06 C70's.
    There are 335 Volvo dealers in the country. That works out to 2640 cars. Believe me, those cars will sell.

I appreciate your frustration in not getting a car in, what for you, is a timely manner.
    In the long run, however Volvo, and its customers will benefit. The 06's that will be delivered will be right from a quality standpoint. NOTHING hurts a new car more than quality issues. The number of 06's built will be very low, so resale won't be an issue. Most everyone will get an 07, on which the price is increasing slightly.
    Most of the C70's are sold in the south and southwest, where the car can be used year round.
    If you, and others opt to pursue a different car, I certainly understand. However, I think the the C70 is a good enough car to wait for.
    "Where the car can be used year-round?"

I thought the whole thrust of the Volvo marketing campaign was this was "two cars in one" and thus would not have to be stored over the winter months. Isn't that the whole idea of a hard-top convertible?

Or did I misinterpret?

Personally, I'm glad I moved on to something else. Still interesting to follow this laborious birth process, though.
    The complaint was that the car would not be available during "convertible season".
    Obviously, you can drive the car in New England in January, but you aren't going to do it with the top down.
    In AZ, or FL or Socal you can use the convertible aspect year round.

Most, if not all specialty car births are laborious.
    When I was with Dodge, it took 2 yrs before the first Viper was available. That was a stone age car compared to the C70.
    This is not a new pickup truck or minivan that the dealers have in quantity on launch day.
    Pontiac Solstice, same thing. Very low availability and that is a $20k car. Saturn is sold out of the Sky model.
  • burghburgh Member Posts: 17
    I have gotten a lot from all of the posts and I am awaiting my C70 (end July). Would someone help to answer these questions:

1. What are the extended warranty prices?
    2. Is there a timeline from manufacture to vin assignment to delivery and what is it?

Thank you for any and all help.
    1 Xtended warranty prices. In broad strokes, between $2-3000, depending on length and miles and the car itself.

2 On a Volvo, normally 3 months from build to delivery at the dealer.
    Of course, the C70 is not operating under the normal rules.
  • wvgeorgewvgeorge Member Posts: 4
    We have a deposit on an 06 C70 demo and can pick it up in a couple of days. It has about 500 miles, silver with light interior. We're concerned about the long term wear on the top mechanism. Should this be a big concern? From reading these postings, it seems that getting one of these cars is a challenge. Are we being too concerned about the top?
    Well, we have had the top up and down frequently on our 06 demo, no issues at all.
    Mechanically, the C70 is identical to the S40 T5 which has a very good track record.
  • wvgeorgewvgeorge Member Posts: 4
    Another question...has anyone heard of any problems with the roof leaking, particularly in the car wash?
    We run our demo through our car wash a couple of times a week. No issues.
  • madon1madon1 Member Posts: 6
    volvo_drive
    r, I received the flint grey with off black leather interior, automatic, dynadio system with the 18 inch wheels.

She drives beautifully and the sound system is great! I have had no problems with the top and sometimes think this car is smarter than I am as it won't let the top go down if the protector is not properly in place.

As far as the silver or black being easier to obtain this might be true. My local dealer sold their demo which was silver. The dealer I purchase from will sell their black in a month or so. Neither compare to the flint grey!

So hold tight as I think you made the right choice.

PS. I paid an extra $2100 for the extended warranty.

PSS. Is anyone having problems with water spots on the rubber around windows?
  • burghburgh Member Posts: 17
    On the features page in the Locks section there are two difference keys:

1. Immobilizer, Encrypted Ignition Key
    link title

2. Electonic Key Integrated Remote Control with Central
    Power Door Locks
    link title

I like the second key so much better than the first (especially to carry around in my pocket).

Will the second key (with the metal key that folds into the fob) work the iginition and locks?

Ideally, I would not use the first key at all. Is that possible?
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    Both demos that I saw had water spots on the rubber. There should be a recall, stupid material to use.
This discussion has been closed.