Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Key #1 is the only key that comes with the C70

Key #2 comes with the S60, XC90, S80 etc.

The keys are not interchangeable.
    All hardtop convertibles have rubber seals between the roof sections.
    Its the only material that you can use.
  • burghburgh Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the information. This of course also means that Volvo make a mistake on their website.
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    madon1,
    I'm glad to hear you received and are enjoying your new C70. Congratulations and thanks for your encouraging comments - I'll continue to hold tight. My scheduled delivery is not all that far off now and I have a feeling I'm due for some good news very shortly...
  • commavecommave Member Posts: 1
    I love the idea that people constantly express about convertible utility in New England. My 2006 Magic Blue C70 arrives in 2 weeks (ordered in Feb), and I can guarantee you that there will be days in all 12 months on which I will drive it with the top down. 50 degree sunshine in January in Boston with heated seats and the windows up is an AWESOME convertible day, and it happens every year. For those of you who think that one has to live in the south to enjoy top-down driving, I have a question: How hot is it in Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Virginia Beach, Atlanta, etc. etc. etc. from late April through late September? That's right! It's too darned hot to put the top down during the day. Ever been on Martha's Vineyard in July? Massachusetts is 2nd only to California in the number of registered convertibles per capita. We're not all fantasizing about the rare midsummer day on which non-New Englanders seem to think we can use them. We know that our climate is far more hospitable to convertible usage than is the south's! Bring on my C70 - I've been waiting all my life for this car!! :D Front wheel drive and Volvo safety for those wonderful New England winter snows, and safe, sexy conversion to sun-soaking driving fun on every day that offers it. All Year 'Round!!
  • asjaasja Member Posts: 22
    I agree with you on that! I love convertibles in the winter. A nice sunny winter day with the top down, heat on, and heated seats, is so pleasant. Plus people stare at you like you are insane, but that's also fun. You're right, hot summer days are too hot for the top down, I go for air-conditioning in the summer.

Enjoy your new car. My Magic blue '07 comes in October.
    Our OSD is set for October, car to be built end of September. It appears we were the only OSD at our dealer, maybe that has something to do with it. Our dealer is Phillips Volvo, in Hampton VA.
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    I have owned convertibles here in Orlando for over 5 years and I have the top down over 95% of the time year round. The heated seats are nice for those cold 50 degree morning drive to work and the air still works fine with the top down, although if you drive fast enuf your don't need the air! The only time the top is up is for the brief summer showers.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    I completely agree with you re what the best convertible days are.

However, I think there is an ethnic difference on this.

for some dark eyed, dark skinned folks, they don't mind the top down during hot parts of the day. When I am likely to have the roof closed (I am blonde, blue-eyed, fair skinned), my italian friends are basking in the full-blast heat of the day.

just a thought

I, too, love the roof off even when driving at dusk in the fog.

Night-driving with the roof down is probably the best, and I know the New England summers give you plenty of those opportunities.

cheers!
  • yankees338yankees338 Member Posts: 28
    I couldn't picture anything better than crusing along the boulevard at the beach or through the city on a brisk summer night with the stars shining and all the lights from buildings and billboards hovering over your head.

Damn.......I can't wait for the summer!!!
    Actually, it is not that unusual to see people with convertibles running around with the top down in the summertime here. Day or night.
    Convertibles do sell in the north, they are far easier to sell in the south however.
  • agarretttxagarretttx Member Posts: 8
    Just wanted to update. I have now had my C70 for 1 1/2 months. I still think it is an incredibly fun car to drive. The gas pedal/brake pedal proximity is still my biggest issue. I also notice a clicking noise while idling (only hear while idling - I think I read somewhere that it has to do with anti-lock brake system, but that could just be my imagination). There are gadgets that I haven't figured out how to work. I would love to go to a class on how to work everything. I still can't get the rain sensor to work. I thought I had heated seats, but haven't seen how to make those work (not that I need them yet, but nice to be prepared). The storage I thought was going to be an issue, but I had to travel out of town for a couple of days last week and was able to put top down and put small suitcase, laptop, and pillow in the back.
  • cdk2cdk2 Member Posts: 19
    I am sooo jealous. I put in order and deposit in mid-February...still waiting...supposedly pushed all the way back to end of July...we'll see....can't wait...
    Hold out...I was just at my local Volvo dealership (test driving an XC90) and I saw a C70 in the back being washed. I assume it was one coming in that was already sold (not a demo). It was absolutely beautiful. My father is considering a C70 but he's quite busy these days so it won't be until he graduates acupuncture school that he'll consider it. Hopefully they'll be more readily available and offering more discounts by then....I'm jealous hearing ALL these posts!!! I can't even drive yet for another year!
    It'll be worth the wait!!!
    I have read many posts from others and I myself believe that the brake pedal is too close to the gas pedal. So let's work to solve the problem.

Are the brake pedal and the brake pedal arm separate pieces or one? If separate how are they atteched?

Can the pedal be moved over or can a special part be made to move the pedal over (extension)?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    well, the way we took care of this on an old car of mine was to remove the pedal, heat up the arm with a torch, and bend a little "S" into it to shift it over.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Sirius satellite radio will be available on the initial 07 production rather than the October production as previously announced.

Keyless drive has been dropped from the 07 model and will be offered in 08.

Expect initial 07's to arrive at dealers in October.
  • blamb3blamb3 Member Posts: 41
    Will the 07's that arrive in Oct. include custom orders? Could I reasonably assume that my 07 will arrive in Oct or Nov.? I'm 1st in line for an 07 at my dealership - though it is a small dealership. Do you know if the closeness of the C70 accelerator and brake is similar to the accelerator/brake distance on the Saab 9-3, it is an annoyance on my current car, was thinking maybe that's how Swedish cars are made.
    Yes, the 07's will be custom orders.
    Allocations can be tricky, not every dealer has cars arriving at the same time.
    IF you are first in line for an 07, then an arrival by Nov should be ok.

As for the pedal issue, I have driven the S40 quite a bit, and the new C70. I am 6'1" and I have no problem with the pedals. The placement is perfectly fine for me.
  • hongchohongcho Member Posts: 28
    Interesting... I drive a 2001 C70 Conv. and when I first drove my wife's 2003 Audi A6, I thought the accelerator and the brake pedals were too close. When I have sandals (those that tend to be a bit larger than your foot), I've noticed that it can get caught on the brake pedals.

Is this some German-influenced design decision?
    European car pedals tend to be closer together than American car pedals.
    This is to facilitate heel and toe shifting.( As you brake the car w/ your toe, your heel blips the throttle to raise the rpms for downshifting)
    This pedal placement was somewhat responsible for the "unintended acceleration" claims against Audi and Mercedes in the 80's.
  • laxdadlaxdad Member Posts: 12
    Last evening I picked up C70 that I ordered in November 05. Worth the wait. Have only driven about 60 miles and have no complaints!
    Details! Color? Options? Thoughts on the car?
  • hongchohongcho Member Posts: 28
    European car pedals tend to be closer together than American car pedals. This is to facilitate heel and toe shifting.( As you brake the car w/ your toe, your heel blips the throttle to raise the rpms for downshifting) This pedal placement was somewhat responsible for the "unintended acceleration" claims against Audi and Mercedes in the 80's.

Yeah, I thought so. I haven't drive the new C70, so I can't really comment on the gap, but my 2002 C70 has a pretty good gap between the accelerator and the brake. I wonder if the new C70 has them closer.

Hong.
    Metallic silver, black leather interior, dyna audio, navigation, xenon/climate, tempa spare.

Friends who have seen it are stunned that it is a volvo. These friends own porsche, audi, BMW, MB, etc. Remarks are that it has a sleek appearance and the interior is very sharp.

I also have an XC90 T6 and I would say the acceleration is very similar to the C70. It's not a bullet from the start, but it has more than enough power when you need to quickly accelerate for lane changes, etc. The car is very solid, as I would expect from a volvo.

Looking for me to say something bad about the car? Well, my 2 year old chocolate lab is terrified of the car. Barks at it in the garage! She was spooked by the top opening and closing and still wont get over it! Any help on this volvomax?
    Congrats on the car.
    I'd get a new dog though.
    No, not looking for anything bad. I ordered one too! I was hoping you'd say it was fabulous.

I ordered Magic Blue, black leather, all packages, xenon, 6 speed manual, satellite radio. My dealer convinced me to get the fix a flat kit instead of the spare.

I wanted to buy a new convertible and I think it looks very sharp.

Sorry to hear your lab isn't quite used to it. My German Shepherds love convertible rides; sometimes I buckle them in doggy seatbelts so they don't jump out, and they love it. We get alot of looks at stop lights.

Glad to hear you like your car. I wont get mine until October.
  • empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    When did your dealer say you would get the car. I understand that sat. radio is only available on the 07s with delivery in the Fall / Winter 2006. Is that what you heard. Were you able to negotiate off the sticker price.

thanks
    My car is supposed to be built in the end of September, and I was told the Sat. radio would be included. No one has told me it wouldn't, and I just asked that two days ago. There was no negotiating off the sticker price, I tried. I was told the prices were "set in stone". I'm picking mine up OSD in October, and that price is only $300 or so cheaper than US delivery. The OSD prices are set by Volvo, not the dealers. If I waited another year or two, there would probably be an OSD discount, but I was going to buy a new car this year anyway, so waiting another two years just to get a discount wasn't practical for me.
    Congrats on your new ride. What do you think of the navigation system so far? I've heard (even from a Volvo salesman) that they are not the most intuitive systems availbable, and, therefore, are grossly overpriced. He recommended we pick up one from Costco (Magellan for around $500 w/$100 discount). This was when we were looking at the XC90 which we aren't sure we are getting anyway. I assume it is the same for the C70? We saw one at the dealership in the Celestial Blue Metallic. My mom, brother, and I all thought it was extremely, ridiculously, good looking. Good luck with yours.
    have they changed the syustem from whatever Volvo was using in the 04 models? That system is fine - am sure there are better, but I like the one I have in my xc90
    Software appears to be same as my XC90 with a few minor tweaks. Screen seems a little smaller but graphics are better. When you get the hang of the Volvo system it is hands down better than the NAV system on our Yukon Denali. On C70 screen pivots up versus moving up/down on the XC90. It would have been nice if they found a place for the NAV drive other than the glove box.

I'm not a fan of add on NAV units. Don't like how they look and on a convertible I don't have to worry about the unit being stolen.
  • tradergdtradergd Member Posts: 1
    This morning I took delivery of my Celestial Blue c70 w/Nav and audio upgrade. I love it. Finally took a break from driving to post this! Interestingly, my dealer was delivering three Celestial Blues today.
    Congratulations!

Celestial Blue is the number 1 requested color.
    celestial blue

that's funny - remember when the car first came out and everybody liked the car but hated the color - "too feminine" they all said

I guess the guys who thought it would look better in red, aren't exactly the key demographic for this car

another example of why what you read on the internet (particularly in message boards) isn't worth the paper it's printed on

;-)
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    In your opinion and from your experience, volvomax, what are the 2nd and 3rd most popular colors and the least popular color? Just curious... I'm still happy with my choice and wouldn't change my mind (even if I could) and looking forward to its arrival at the end of the month.
    From our orders, Celstial Blue, Silver and Pearl White are the most popular colors. Red, Zanzibar Gold and Magic Blue the least popular.
    which blue was the one used in the advance ads? (the blue that was "too feminine")
    Celestial Blue
    You're in the south somewhere? I just asked my dealer the same question, and he said people ordered silver, red, magic blue, and flint grey. In Virginia.
    Scottsdale AZ
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    Got the call from my dealer yesterday saying ordering for '07 is opening and we need to firm up my order and get it in (I've had a right to place an order contract order and deposit in since mid April). I'm now waffling on 17" or 18" wheels. My original though was 18" because the look so good but then I got thinking tire replacement cost would be very high. Some of you must think this is crazy to consider when paying $40K+ for the car but I'm just trying to keep the costs down.

I just checked w/ that big on-line tire retailer and it seems I can get 17" or 18" replacements for about the same cost. I'm in the north east and the plan is for the car to be parked during the snow months. If I go 18" then there are only two choices for those snow months: park it or buy winter wheels and tires. I've even seen a sticker on the dealer demos to that fact too. Maybe going 17" saves me from buying winter rims?

Anyways, I think I answered my question while typing this and will go 18" and buy wheels and tires if necessary (because I can switch those on my own where switching tires requires a visit to the garage) but I'd still like to hear some other thoughts.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    you definitely want dedicated rims as switching the tires on the stock rims every 6 months just increases the chance that they can get scratched/scuffed in the process.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It's personal preference. I've seen photos of cars with both wheels, and I thought both looked nice. In the end the 18" wheels weren't worth $1000 to me, so I ordered the standard 17". I know many people really love their wheels, but I think the 17" look nice too.
    I am driving my car year round (midwest) so went with the 17's. Have not seen a car in person with 18", but there sure is not much wheel well space with the 17's that would make the 18's look better.
    I went with 17" wheels because of believe that the ride quality will be softer.
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    Good response. I agree that both look great and I'd rather keep the "G" in the bank. Thanks.

So new question, do I get the stereo upgrade or not? I wasn't going to originally but I just saved money on the wheels. :)
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    I test drove a C70 with the Dynaudio stereo, and it was great. If you care about listening to music at all, I'd get it. It sounded very nice with the top either up or down.
    The demo I drove at the dealer had the Dynaudio in it, and it sounded great. I wavered too, but ordered it anyway, because I'd like to have a nice stereo. Depends on if you'd listen to it, but I also don't know what the regular stereo sounds like. Maybe the regular stereo would be fine until you put the top down, I really don't know. Since this is a new car, the dealer didn't know either.

I was wavering on the park assist, just because any kind of damage on the rear of the car would screw up the double hinged truck lid and the top mechanism.
  • blamb3blamb3 Member Posts: 41
    I ordered the park assist. I would think that it is a small investment for the $$$'s a rear end collision will cost. While it won't guarantee that I'm not at fault, it at least minimizes the possibility. I think it's a small price to pay.
This discussion has been closed.