Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• laxdadlaxdad Member Posts: 12
    Have been driving my C70 for about a week. Money on stereo upgrade is worth it.
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    I went to the dealer yesterday and finalize my '07 order (I've had a "contract" and a $100 deposit on an '07 for a month or two now). I dropped the 18" wheels and didn't upgrade the stereo. I'm happy enough that the '07s will come with an audio input jack and CD-ROM based MP3, both new and standard for '07. Also new and standard for '07 is traction control. Anyways, I just couldn't justify the additional cash for the upgraded stereo. I have a lot of other places I can use that "G+" ya know. The waiting game continues for my black on black C70. I just got to be cool and wait. :shades:
  • millenrmillenr Member Posts: 28
    are there any special financing deals with Volvo on the C70 or any other incentives that anyone has heard of? I am still scheduled to receive my C70 in July and am starting to check for financing deals.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    No deals of any kind on the C70.
  • tsk1tsk1 Member Posts: 31
    After several weeks of placing our final order for an OSD of our 2007 C70 (Order and Deposit for a September slot was made in November), our dealer did come back with a 'confirmed pickup date' of September 7th. We anticipated written confirmation from Volvo within a few days but it has yet to arrive! How long does it typically take to get the order packet (with travel)?? Has anyone received written confirmation and travel info from Volvo on a 2007 C70 via OSD???
  • cdk2cdk2 Member Posts: 19
    Wow !! That is unbelievable....

I ordered my 2006 C70 in February, had delivery dates delayed by over 3 months, and am not currently scheduled to get my vehicle until July 27 (subject to change, I am sure, without further notice). I could wait 6 weeks and get a 2007 C70 thru OSD....

All I can do is shake my head (and wait.....) and wonder what the heck is going on at Volvo.
  • asjaasja Member Posts: 22
    We have not received our confirmation packet either, but we have been assured that we have a car that will be completed in the end of September. I just asked our dealer that today, and he told me that the woman at Volvo North America who does this for the east coast, is in Sweden for the Ocean Race and they know the packets are late.

I hope you get yours soon also,and have a nice trip. What did you order?
    We were told that all OSD cars are now sold out until next year (first quarter 2007). All domestic delivery cars are also sold out until next year. The factory is supposedly closed in July, so presumably your car is being made in June, and the extra time is for delivery. I'd rather have them take the time to make sure everything in production is worked out, so I don't have manufacturing defects in my car. I doubt they want to annoy so many people by delivering late.
    As mentioned in an earlier post, I went in on Saturday the 17th to finalize the purchase and dropped the 18" wheels from my order. Got a call today and looks like they entered the order for my car right when the ordering period opened for '07s. The bad news is (what I'm told) the order is entered and locked and can't be changed now because it's scheduled for early production and the good news is I might see my car in September - but I'm not holding my breath. :)
  • tsk1tsk1 Member Posts: 31
    Our order is for a Zanzibar Gold C70 with Calcite Cream Leather (colors that we would have never even considered if we hadn't seen it an autoshow), Geartronic, Dynaudio Package, Premium Package, Climate Package, Bi-Xenon Headlamps, and Park Rear Assist. We had wanted the Keyless entry system, but were informed that availability could delay delivery! Please let me know when you receive your packet!
    I have already detailed the saga of my C70 order (placed back in February)and how the delivery date has changed from May, to June, to July 27. I was amazed they were able to pinpoint July 27, so I felt fairly confident that this would be the last delay....

Unfortunately, I received another email from my dealer (only after I sent him one asking for an update) that was quite disappointing:

"As of today, your car is on the production line. (It has a VIN # XXXXXXXXXXXX).Next the C70 will go throught quality control, than on to shipping. It has a dealer ETA of late August at this time, but I know Volvo is trying to have all C70's shipped by mid july. I know you would like to be in the car today, which is what we want too!
    I will email you when the car has been loaded on the boat and then when it has arrived at the port."

It does not sound overly promising for me having it by July 27 anymore. I have been told (by this same dealer, and other people) that Volvo basically shuts down in July for "holiday"...I would think my car would have to ship beginning of July at the latest.

Has anyone had similar delays in promised delivery times? I am beginning to think Volvo (at least this dealer) has purposefully not disclosed true dates of delivery for fear of making people reconsider if they want to wait, and perhaps look at other models, or just wait for 2007s to be in the showroom.
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    cdk2, where are you? your story is very similar to mine, although I am still under the impression my car is on a boat and arriving at port this week? I'd better call to make sure...
    AFAIK all the 06 C70's are either built or finishing production at this time.
    If your car is in FC(factory complete) status then it is awaiting final quality check and shipment to the port in Gothenburg.
    Once it reaches port and is loaded on a ship it takes approx 3 weeks to get to the east coast and 5 weeks to get to the west coast. Once there the car has to go thru customs and then thru any port upgrades that Volvo specifies.
    If you live in the east then it is possible to get your car by the end of July, but it may leak into early August,
    I am in Lancaster, PA
  • whichhardtopwhichhardtop Member Posts: 1
    I've been following this chat room since its inception, never letting the move back dates deter me...until now. I had been told multiple times that late July was firm. Now even volvomax is saying that it may "leak" into early August. :mad: If its early August for the east coast, what will it be for me in Kansas City? I spoke with my dealer today and he was very evasive. Said he'd get back today then never called. The Sweedes have a lot to learn if they are going to make it here. In America, your word is your word and when you go back on it (especially multiple times), you have to make concessions or you will lose customers. Consider me one of them. If I don't hear anything tomorrow, I am going to get a Mercedes convertible. A bit more, but I'll get it for less than MSRP and it is ready now.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    The Sweedes have a lot to learn if they are going to make it here.

Strange statement. You don't think they are new to the market, do you?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

There is no such thing as a "firm" date when ordering a car from overseas. There are simply too many variables that cannot be controlled.
    Even cars with normal production schedules can't be promised on a specific date.

If you truly cannot wait, the Mercedes is a nice car. More expensive, even with a discount and still using the old soft top.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    "In America, your word is your word and when you go back on it (especially multiple times)..." Politicians excepted, of course! :blush:

If you can wait, the hardtop convertible market will heat up with the BMW 3 and Lexus IS a coming... Not to mention the VW Eos and Pontiac G6. Ok, the G6 may not be as desirable as any of the others, but it's a hardtop...

Also, if you're willing to buy a soft top, your choices go up exponentially including Audi A4, Saab 9-3 (Sweedish!), BMW 3, Mustang, Eclipse...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    Max -

I know you are a Volvo dealer but you appear to be a very legit guy. How would compare the SAAB 9-3 (2007 model) with the C70 (2007 Model).. Like to hear from someone in the know.. Thanks :surprise:
  • heymjoheymjo Member Posts: 8
    Do you or does anyone know the projected introduction date of the BMW and the Lexus IS hard top convertibles? I may want to wait, but would like to get an idea of how long the wait might be.
  • blamb3blamb3 Member Posts: 41
    O.K., I admit it I'm not Volvomax, I am the owner of a 2003 SAAB 9-3 convertible that I will be trading in on a C70. My current SAAB has been fun to drive and very reliable, I've driven the new SAAB convertible with the 250 h.p. engine and it's a vast improvement over previous SAAB's. What I really want to tell you is never, never buy a SAAB, the depreciation is atrocious. If you decide on a SAAB LEASE it.
    thanks for your insights... however I have to tell you I have a 99 s-80 which I was thinking of trading in... the depreciation I would guess is no better than the SAAB, its bad...

Any other insights on the SAAB convertible, noise, comfort, driving appeal. Does SAAB give you a loaner as Volvo does?

By the way I understand the 2007 SAAB interior is completely updated.

Still deciding... :shades:
    The SAAB warranty is better than Volvo as it includes free scheduled maintanence for 3yrs. or 36,000 miles, a loaner was never a problem and the actual warranty is the same 48 mos. or 50,000 miles. With the top up you'll notice more wind noise than in a hardtop. The problems I experienced with my SAAB (over 4 yrs. of ownership were: a leak in the hydraulic mechanism for the top - major, separation of insulated liner from top - minor, electrical for the dashboard readouts - minor, and a defective 6 cd changer which was replaced. Getting parts for the SAAB was never easy, I don't know if I had bad luck or if this is a common problem, nor do I know if getting parts for a Volvo is any easier. By the way if you have never owned a convertible, the backseat when the top is down, should be reserved for people you don't like.

I enjoy driving my SAAB, I've never noticed much body shimmy(a common complaint about all SAAB and Volvo convertibles before 2005). I have some turbo lag but it seems really minor to me, and I thought the ride was extremely smooth for a small car, the new SAAB seemed to have even less turbo lag than mine. The seats are comfortable, but I think the C70 seats are more comfortable.
    As others have alluded to, the biggest problem w/ the SAAB is the depreciation.
    SAAB as a company is in dire straits, and they simply can't compete head to head with the best of the European cars.
    As for the SAAB vs the C70, I think the C70 is better looking, although that is subjective.
    The folding hardtop makes the C70 unique. You get better visibility, increased safety, a quieter ride and better longevity w/ the folding hardtop.
    Do you or does anyone know the projected introduction date of the BMW and the Lexus IS hard top convertibles? I may want to wait, but would like to get an idea of how long the wait might be.

The BMW hardtop is close to a year away, and the Lexus is further than that.
    Haven't even seen a protoype for the Lexus.
    reliability of he c70 versus the saab 93 volvo max can you comment :lemon:
    I am probably not the best person to ask, since my evidence about the SAAB is anecdotal.
    We supply Corporate Cars to a number of companies, quite a few of whom have had SAAB 9-3 sedans. I always ask people how they like their previous car, and in the case of the SAAB most people weren't happy with it.
    We rarely see any 9-3 convertibles here so I don't have any first hand knowledge of that car.

The new C70 is barely out, so its impossible to speak of its reliability yet. THE old car was virtually bulletproof after 2002, and we haven't seen any problem w/ the 2 new C70's we have.
    First, I'm really sorry that you are having these delays. I think if you were to switch to an '07 you will again experience delivery issues. They are making 12,000 cars a year and orders are filling fast for the '07s because you have people like me that didn't want to put an order in until they saw the car in person. Do you have a convertible now? I do so I don't care much about delays. If you have the means to buy a C70, go pick yourself up a use Miata to drive around this summer as a second car. :)

The only thing I've told my dealer is if the car comes in between December 1 2006 and February 28 2007 they will either have to sit on the car until March 1st, pay my payments for three months or I walk and they give me my down payment back.
    I'm not sure how many different people read this site, but I do every day as I anxiously await my new C70. Basically, I keep reading for information and hopefully, confirmation from people who are satisfied or delighted with their new C70. The new C70's are here and in fact, I guess that most of the 2006 models will be sold by the end of July or mid-August. Therefore, there must be a lot of people out there with either first hand experience or know of someone with the new C70. Mine is still a week away.

What is your experience so far; good and bad; satisfied or not; worth the wait?
  • pf57pf57 Member Posts: 5
    Worth the wait as far as I'm concerned. Took delivery of mine a week and a half ago and am loving it! (My 16 and 20 year old sons love it even more than I do!) So far, the only problem that I've experienced is two spots (stains) on the cover behind the back seats. They are round and are from two rubber bumpers located under the trunk that rest on this cover when the roof is up. My dealer says that all of the C70s have this and it's from the petroleum in the rubber. They are replacing my cover and bumpers this week. New bumpers will have a foam pad to protect the cover. Otherwise, the car is beautiful and fun to drive! It's responsive and handles well. I've driven Volvos for 16 years and this is by far the best ride (and most fun). I am definitely not sorry that I waited for this car!
    For folks who waited for the 2007 models, what delivery dates have you been given, what options did you select. regards :)
    I've been told the end of Oct., for whatever that's worth. Bought all 3 packages(premium, dynaudio, climate) + rear park assist. 6 speed, flint grey exterior, the light grey interior(I think they call it quartz and refer to it as tan - but it sure looks grey to me).

I originally ordered a 2006, was told April/ May delivery, then June, then July - at that point I cancelled. I think I'm the only one on this board to care about the depreciation difference between the 06 and 07 come trade in time. By the time they missed most of my convertible weather (Wisconsin) I didn't see the point in not waiting another 3 mos. or so for the 07. If the 07 gets delayed I have no interest in taking delivery in Dec.-Feb. I'll then wait and see what's happenning with the BMW hardtop convertible and choose between that and Volvo. This hasn't been fun, I like the dealership, but if we get to Dec. because of delays I'm looking around.
    I wonder how many people out there are in exactly your situation. I really think Volvo missed the boat, big time. Sure, they will sell out their 2006 allotment, and probably 2007. But, they could have done so much better. And I do believe that once someone drives the C70 that it will be worth it (at least based on my limited experience), but how many won't wait for delivery because of delay after delay after delay, and go to purchase another model..?? Basically, Volvo has lost that customer, possibly for life.
    >Basically, Volvo has lost that customer, possibly for life.

The C70 is a low volume vehicle, period. I'm sure they are concern but when they are selling out all they can build I think they are only loosing sleep over how to build more for the next person in line. Also, the C70 will bring people who would have never thought of buying a Volvo in the showroom which will expose these people to the other models offered.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    True, in a way. I had been waiting to test drive the C70 for a year, and then decided it wasn't for me after one drive, so I bought something else very different.

But when it comes time to replace our sedan, I might stop by the Volvo dealers and look at what they have. The dealership treated me very courteously and professionally, and while the C70 wasn't for me, I wouldn't rule out all Volvos. Prior to considering the C70, Volvo hadn't really been on my radar very much.
    >Basically, Volvo has lost that customer, possibly for life.

I don't know, customer loyalty and emnity isn't what it used to be.
    However, Volvo could have and should have done a better job in communicating their issues and timeframes. Some of it is corporate's fault, some of it is the dealer's fault.
    The C70 is a low volume car, and Volvo really can't make anymore than they are making so lost sales really don't come into play.
    For those of you waiting, take it from me your patience will be rewarded. Yes, you can go get a Mercedes or bimmer instead but you will spend more money and not necessarily get more car.

FWIW, Volvo has come up with a new launch protocol which will take effect for the S80 launch.
    I received the OSD packet yesterday. They even included a little diecast model of a red C70, it's very cute. Our pickup date is October 9.
    We're picking up OSD October 9. I ordered magic blue/black leather, 6M, premium, climate, dynaudio, xenons, sat radio. I was wavering on adding the park assist, but they wont let me change my order now anyway. I'm looking forward to it now.
  • jeepwmnzjeepwmnz Member Posts: 12
    I've had my C70 for about 2 weeks and I absolutely LOVE this car. I had a 2004 C70 for a year that I traded in and its like night and day. The new one was one that the dealer had on the lot for less than 24 hours because someone ordered it for a lease and decided not to proceed with the $899 payment a month so they called me and I got it. I negotiated that the dealer install an iPod adapter and without the upgraded sound system, it sounds awesome. I love this car. Of course, the only thing that I don't like but I knew about it before I purchased the vehicle, is that there is almost no trunk space when the roof is down. Mine has a full size spare. I've found that I put some small things in the trunk, put the roof down and then must put the roof back up to get the stuff out of the trunk. However, this is a minor gripe. This is a truly awesome car and I love when people ask to see how the roof works! I read on the other C70 forum that someone went to Sweden to tour the Volvo plant and he said that the C70's are almost all built by hand thus the long wait for them. However, it is so worth the wait. Enjoy!!
    thanks for the update - I was beginning to wonder if anyone else actually had purchased a C70. On the iPod adapter - is this a Volvo adapter or was it a generic, off the shelf type; does it work through fm channel or hard-wired to radio system?

Mine is supposed to be delivered this week, it has arrived in port and I assume has some upgrade work before shipping to dealer.
    I'm very curious about the iPod adapter "jeepwmnz" had installed as well.

My car arrived in port last week and I expect it should be delivered to dealer later this week or next week sometime. I can't wait.
    the ipod adaptor is a generic ont that Volvo has adopted.
    It is powered directly by the car, and sits on the left side of the dash. It uses an fm transmitter to communicate w/ the radio.
    It sits on the left side of the dash... is it mounted? Is is discreetly placed or is it a cumbersome addition to the sleek dash. Does it have to be on the left side or even the right... could it be placed in the center console or in the area behind the center control panel?
    Reportedly, my C70 is on the boat and expected in to the Port of Baltimore in 2-3 weeks. It may be late July and not extend into August, which would be the first good news I have gotten so far. Hopefully, the 80 mile trip north from Baltimore won't take long....
    It pretty much sticks out of the dash.
    There isn't any place in the center console to mount it, and I don't think it would fit in the center storage area.
    No way to securely mount it at least.
  • jeepwmnzjeepwmnz Member Posts: 12
    The iPod adapter is mounted beneath the vent on the left side of the dashboard. I haven't encountered any problems with it; much better than the i trip I had in my other car that you had to install into the cigarette lighter! Anyway, I was wondering how the alarm system works as far as the car being parked when the top is down? I thought that if someone reached into it with the top down that the alarm would go off?? :confuse:
  • agarretttxagarretttx Member Posts: 8
    I was wondering if anyone else with the new C70 has seen a problem with the top rubbing the edge of the plastic near the back passenger window. I just noticed last weekend that is apparently rubbing and creating an indentation not sure if rubbing when going up or down - but definitely an issue - i will be taking in to the shop ASAP, but curious if this is a problem that anyone else has encountered.
  • pf57pf57 Member Posts: 5
    Do you mean two ring-shaped indentations and stains on the cover? Mine has these and it's a defect with the rubber bumpers (petroleum-based) under the trunk lid. My dealer is replacing the cover and the bumpers as soon as the parts arrive. Other than that, I haven't experienced any rubbing or other problems.
    should a dealer be able to track and know where a car is? Supposedly, my car has been shipped and received, but still not at dealer. When I ask the dealer where it is - still at port, in inspection, being repaired, etc.; he is not able to say where - only that we have a VIN. Shouldn't this be like FedEx, the car is tracked from one point to another. It sounds like he will only know when the car is to arrive at dealer, when the truck pulls into the parking lot. I know that asking these questions won't get the car to dealer any quicker, and just because I know the status won't get me into car any sooner - I just want to know.
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    If it might help - in my case (OSD purchase) a car was ceased by US Customs in port on arrival for random inspection, and no information was released neither to shipping broker nor to the dealer for 2 weeks. Otherwise, I think there is a web site where you can track car shipment by VIN

http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking/searchCargo.do?trackType=Auto
This discussion has been closed.