Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion Care and Maintenance

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited July 2014 in Scion
Talk about how you maintain your Scion here.

Comments

• geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    There is NOTHING better than the shine you get from using the Zaino set of products. These are for those willing to spend a couple of days producing the deepest and best gloss (show car quality) you can get. However, most owners of a tC are not this anal. If you read the manual (highly recommended) you will find a little item tucked away that "suggests" you wax your tC MONTHLY. Now, Meguiar's has a wonderful new product called NXT generation TECHWAX. It lists at $15 per bottle (Zaino will set you back 50-75 initially)and will do the car in less than 30 minutes - including some TLC buffing. Hey! every 3-4 weeks a thirty minute effort that is almost as glossy and slick as the Z product. If you don't like the product, Meguiar's will give you your money back!!!
  • tahlequahtahlequah Member Posts: 54
    What does everyone recommend for tire pressure on the Potenzas?

Second question is: the dealer recommended first oil change and maintenece is at 5000 miles or 6 months. However, the tech who put the "change oil" sticker on the windshield when I first picked it up had it down for 3 months or 5000 miles. Which do you suppose is right?
  • mnixonxxmnixonxx Member Posts: 3
    I still go about every 3-4000 miles on my TC
  • dwatts5250dwatts5250 Member Posts: 1
    Ive got an xB, just had the oil changed at 4200 miles. Then at about 5010 miles the "MAINT. REQ'D" light on the dash board started flashing every time I start the car. How do you reset this light? Is it going to go off every time I have an oil change ahead of schedule (at 3000 miles instead of 5000)? Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
    If the xB is set up like the tC, there is a section in the manual that tells you how to: 1)set the display to ODOMETER; 2) turn the car off; and 3) while holding the read-out selector button turn the car on. It would be nice if you could select the interval rather than have it always to default to 5000 but at least you can easily reset it.
    My dealer has exactly ZERO selection for touch up paint for the Scions. I prefer a pen but can do with a toothpick and the bottle. But, it HAS to be the right color; not just a "near fit."

Anyone else having this problem?
    I just logged 1500 miles on my tC and had to add some oil to the little beast. Granted there was lots of rev up and back down against compression during "break in" but I was surprised at having to add so soon.
    I am seeing numbers getting close to 3000 on the odometer and am thinking about the first oil change. I know that Scion will give me a couple "free" but was wondering if anyone had switched to synthetic oil?
    Three dealers and still a perfect ZERO on Scion touch up paint - of course I have only asked for Black Cherry.
  • zombeezyzombeezy Member Posts: 1
    We switched to synthetic at 3500 miles, even though the oil looked beautifully clean still. The oil filter is so darn tiny that I would hate to stretch a change out to 5K like I often did in my other cars. I have read many posts about dealers sometimes using the wrong visocity oil and are often in the dark ages about what is the best oil to use, just like many act as if reading a TSB is magic, so I prefer to do my own changes. My time is too valuable to waste dropping a car off for a change. I'd rather watch TV and sip a beer while waiting for the oil to drain with our xA is sitting in my driveway.

May also be gettng a tC real soon. Scion is a value that is hard to beat...
  • butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    Is anyone changing oil and filter in their TC? Is it a hassle or is it fairly easy? Are filters avail. on the aftermarket or are they only avail. at the dealer? If I buy a TC I will be doing my own maintenance. Any other maintence items of concern???
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    I don't change my own anymore (on any of my cars), but on the tC, the first three changes are freebies, so it makes sense to at least let the dealer do those!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    So you must not have many miles on yours yet? Still I would like feedback on what is involved in changing the oil and filter and any other regular maintenance items. Are you having it changed every 5k or 3k or what? What grade oil is Scion using?? Any issues you have in the future please post. Many Thanks!!! I'll be test driving one after it gets 93 plus degrees outside this summer to see how well the ac really works because it gets down right broiling in HOT LANTA!!!
    I did mine at 4K (about 6 months). I'm up to just over 6K on it now, so no, I don't put on a ton of miles.

I assume that the dealer puts in whatever grade the manual calls for, and an OEM filter, so it's pretty much like it comes from the factory. And, free is free!

Just from lookin g under the hood, should be an easy change, assuming you have ramps of some kind, since it's a little low to squeeze under.

• jbasconjbascon Member Posts: 1
    I got into an accident yesterday coming off of Route 17 at a stop sign, the guy in front of me stopped and went forward like he was gonna go and stopped again and that left my front bumper dented, deeply i might add, so there is some engine damage, but it is still drivable. If anyone knows where i can get a good and relaible estimate near by, or if you have expereienced anything similar, please let me know. I only got my xB a month ago :cry:
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    You can always get an estimate through your insurance's claim center. That doesn't mean that you have to actually make the claim. You can have the estimate and refuse to use your insurance.
    I did that once to find out the value of damage when someone keyed the crap out of one of my cars. I didn't claim it with them because I didn't feel like having another $500 deductible to deal with when I wasn't going to keep that car.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I just changed mine at 3200 miles. I wanted to run it to the dealer for the freebie, but they told me I to make the appt. a week in advance. I bought 5 qts. of Castrol 5w-30 and a Fram extra-guard filter. The filter is more $$$ than a standard filter, but I want more protection for the car. It cost $17 for me to do the change. I did not use ramps but I plan on buying them soon, as it is very tight under there. The filter can be seen if you take out the front screws that hold the plastic shroud in place that is under the front end. I couldn't get a std. oil filter wrench on it(filter is too small), so I bought an end cap type that a socket wrench fits into, and it came right off.
  • gtwgtw Member Posts: 46
    Very easy oil change. I have done my daughters 3 times. About 20 minutes on average. Everything is reachable from the front. Ramps make it very easy.
  • artycatartycat Member Posts: 11
    Question: Are there any issues with dents in the sides of the XB? I look at them and think that they are going to look terrible in a couple of months from parking lot stays. Is this an issue? Can you put an after market rubber strip on the sides to protect them?? Thanks Arty :confuse:
    I am taking BING (Black Cherry tC) in for number two free oil on Tuesday (6000 miles). I am tempted to have them put in synthetic and then set the service indicator for 5K instead of 3K. Anyone out there tried synthetic?
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    http://www.scion.com/assets/media/pdfs/maintenanceguide_05.pdf

Everything they said here is 5000 miles, not 3000
  • hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    Please do some Google research on Fram: they used to be my favorite filter, but after reading many filter comparisons on the web, I have come to the conclusion that they make junk filters :cry: . This may have happened after they were bought by Allied-Signal (they are now owned by Honeywell). From what I have read, Mobil 1 and Purolator Pure One are possibly the best filters commonly available.
  • pinkeshppinkeshp Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my xB last week. It's a great little car!
    My dealer suggest that I come back for my first oil change at 1000 miles! I looked in the manual and suggested oil change is at 5000 miles or 6 months. Has anyone gone for oil change @ 1000?
    they actually recommend not doing an early oil change. Supposedly there are some break-in additives in the factory oil, so it should stay in. You might want to go a little early (3-4K), but doing it at 1K is only going to pad the service guys wallet.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    changes are free when you buy a new Scion, though. I've heard the argument before that you should change your oil after only 1,000 miles to rid the engine of any metal fragments that get hashed off and thrashed about inside your valves and pistons and inlets and outlets and so on. Get some other opinions if you want but it might be a good idea. I also saw someone post that you don't have to watch your speed when your car is brand new for 1,000 miles but for only the first 50 miles or so.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• gabrielstcgabrielstc Member Posts: 2
    I can tell you that the tC sides dent easily. I was like that guy in the commercial that runs in front of the shopping cart before it crashes into the side door -- only in my version... I didn't make it to the door in time. Three nice little dents now visible on the passenger side door. :cry:
  • gabrielstcgabrielstc Member Posts: 2
    If anyone knows of where to get touch-up paint for my tC, please share! I was driving to work and a mower cutting grass along side the road threw a couple of rocks my way -- need to get the scratches touched up. :mad:
  • sweetrthncandisweetrthncandi Member Posts: 1
    :( I just bought a tC a couple of weeks ago, and it got pretty dusty on the interior, so I used what i THOUGHT was armoral cleaning wipes, but were really just hte armoral protecting wipes. Now, there are huge streaks all over the interior..i mean EVERYWHERE. And they won't fade. Its been two weeks? What can i do??
  • aeroluvraeroluvr Member Posts: 42
    Hey..just wondering were you able to find any touchup paint? I asked in another thread about the chance of side/door dents without the protective strip and it sounds like the paint chips easily. Maybe email the scion site and ask them how to get the paint? I saw it on a website that someone here pointed me to....http://trdparts4u.com but it looks like only 2005 colors so if you got one of the new 2006 colors...I would say email the main site and ask them?
  • turtlejamesturtlejames Member Posts: 3
    don't know if you found your answer, but you can purchase touch-up paint at your local dealer for about 7.50. if that's not convenient, go to this website:

http://www.brandsport.com/sctouppa.html

good luck!
  • jamesgangjamesgang Member Posts: 47
    This may be no great revelation to most of you, but quite by accident I discovered a new use for old wiper blades. Being the xB is such a bug-catcher, and it has all these little creases and cavities, I was searching for a way to get them clean. Well, I had just changed wiper blades on a couple of vehicles and hadn't thrown them away yet. These are great! They're rubber coated - so paint safe. They're sharply 'V' shaped - so perfect for all the creases. You get the picture.
    Allways one to conserve and reuse ;)
    ThanksMuch
    Crooked Chris Camo
  • geekaygeekay Member Posts: 51
    Hi, Just changed oil at 8K, can any one tell me how to switch off/reset that Maint Reqd light. Thanks in Advance
  • jamesgangjamesgang Member Posts: 47
    It is very simple - but I can't tell you how!!!! ;) However, it is detailed in your owner's manual. It'll take you longer to look up the procedure than it will to reset it. After having mine changed at the dealer, they did not bother to reset. I watched it go from flashing - to steady on - to OFF when I did the second change myself.
    I'm not one for reading manuals, but learned a lot about this car by skimming through it.
    -- solved a 'vibration type noise'
    -- discovered the 'black-box'
    -- break-in driving suggestions
    -- when not to use the traction control
    Little things along these lines.
    Usually my 'used car' purchases do NOT even have the manual included. :sick:
  • geekaygeekay Member Posts: 51
    Thanks, shoulda done that to begin with but did not, so thanks again for pointing the way.Have a good un, Geekay
  • mjd39mjd39 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 XB and I have a scraping noise when I decelerate and turn the wheel left. I am waiting on the dealer to call me back but I wanted to know if anybody else has had this problem?
  • tccowboy07702tccowboy07702 Member Posts: 12
    I did the same exact thing. Mine was taking a long time to fade so i just took a paper towel with some water on it and wiped all of it off. Wasn't too hard and it should work for you. Worst case scenario, you'll have to just wait. With time, it will all come off.

tccowboy :shades:
  • johnnyringojohnnyringo Member Posts: 31
    If you read the manual you will see that the recomended milege to oil change is 5000 miles... 5w 30w... standard oil... not synthetic... believe it... Although IMO I don't think synthetics are bad... just saying you don't need to change your oil at 3000miles... you would be wasting money... :)
    one common misconception is that the manufactures use break in oil... Not true... In the past some cars did use break in oil but now days almost all cars use just regular oil... I'm not sure why the dealer said to bring in at 1k... the warrenty states every 5k... my dealer said 5k and the manual says 5k... good enough for me. :):):)
    read the manual... you turn off your car... then hold down the odometer reset button then start your car while still holing the button and hold for about 5-10 seconds... worked for me... but read the manual tha is in your glove box! :)
  • rubleruble Member Posts: 2
    Hi crazed I was in the autoparts biz for 25 years before I retired the purolator are good so are hastings but the best are WIX filters hands down!! :)
  • davebehrensdavebehrens Member Posts: 9
    I have used Mobil 1 in all my vehicles since 1994, and have NEVER had an oil burning vehicle, even though I keep them for 200,000+ miles. Additional advantages are slightly better mileage, easier starting in cold weather, and CHEAPER TO MAINTAIN. I myself change the Mobil 1 oil every 10,000 miles, with an oil filter change every 5,000 miles. This regimen is actually less work and cheaper than petroleum based oil and a filter change every 3,000 miles.

My son's new Scion xB had it's oil changed to Mobil 1 (and a new filter) on the first day he brought it home.

Take those "free" oil change coupons to the Scion dealer and ask him to give you a free filter for each one. Then:

1. If you have an automatic trans, ask for 2 or 3 quarts of Toyota Type T-IV auto trans fluid for each coupon also. Then drain and replace the trans fluid when you change the oil (10,000 mile intervals). There is a drain plug on the trans pan that loosens with a 10mm Allen wrench. You will need less than 3 quarts of T-IV fluid to replace the amount that drains, since the torque converter doesn't drain. I ALSO HAVE NEVER HAD A TRANS PROBLEM WITH ANY VEHICLE I HAVE MAINTAINED WITH THIS REGIMEN.

2. If you have a manual trans, ask for something else, like a set of wiper inserts, or two filters for each coupon. DON'T FORGET TO PUT IN MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL IN YOUR MANUAL TRANS. It's easy to do yourself, but if you lack the confidence, bring both synthetic oils to the dealer and instruct him to install both for you.
    If you are worried about metal fragments in the oil pan, why not install a trans pan plug with a neodymium magnet in it when you switch to Mobil 1??? You can get them on ebay, or make them yourself by purchasing the magnets on ebay and a spare drain plug from Toyota.
    Try buying the oil filters from Toyota by the case. If sold by the case, the price should be around $4.00 each. I suggest purchasing the "long" version of the filter since it can be used on other Toyota 4 cylinder vehicles (Corolla, Matrix, Rav4, ECHO).
    Order the correct color touch up paint from any Toyota dealer parts department.
    I strongly recommend inflating the tires to the maximum pressure stated on the tire itself (yes, there is a statement on the tire in small letters in the maximum load statement). This will give you better gas mileage (less rolling resistance), better handling, longer tire life (since you tires will run cooler from less sidewall flexion), better traction on wet roads (smaller tire "footprint"). The max tire pressure as stated on the tires on a Scion xB is 44 PSIG.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    actually I was thinking about the first oil change being at 1,000 miles in order to get rid of any fragments inside the block and oil pan that may have sprung loose during the break-in period. You may only get rid of the fragments that actually drip down to the pan...some gunk probably stays, but that's the theory behind that one. Along with driving only 55-60 mph max during the first 1,000 mile break-in period it has been suggested that you get your oil changed at the 1,000 mile mark. Then you can go to your 3,000 or 5,000 or 7,500 standard mileage interval from there on out.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    I am thinking about getting the xB primarily as a commuting car. Hows is the mileage on this car. Is it similar to the Honda Civic or the Corrola. I really like the utility of the xB over the Civic and the Corrola, but am not so sure how good of a mileage it gets, especailly compared to the Civic and Corrola. Am i better off just sticking to those two conventional cars?
  • fosman77fosman77 Member Posts: 13
    I have a new Xb, I drive 70 miles a day round trip, I only have 600 miles on it. On my last fill up my mpg was 32, this is mostly freeway driving, I really like this vehicle.
  • lottacarslottacars Member Posts: 4
    Can I change the lp tires to "regular tires" want a smoother ride but wondering if tire pressure gauge would be affected?
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    What are LP tires?
This discussion has been closed.