Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cary1cary1 Member Posts: 2
    Interesting, I've got a dealer offering me a VERYsimilar GT to jagzbimmer's:
    2005 GT CONV PREMIUM
    5-SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION 995
    INTERIOR COLOR ACCENT PKG 175
    INTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE 450
    WHEEL LOCKING KIT 50
    CONVERTIBLE BOOT COVER 115

But it's substantially more money: MSRP: $33155 with my price being $31655.
  • shalushalu Member Posts: 9
    Hi Graphicguy,

That was a real great info,thxs for that.I have seen zainos site and found a lot of products in them which of them do u think is gonna help for a car protection that is not gonna be in a garage .which of the range of products from Z 2 to Z 18 is of real value to buy.or should i consider the ultimate protection kit which includes all?

Coming to the mirror u mentioned a switch on the mirror which i did not find in mine is it something that i need to install? or can u recommend me anything?

Thanks for ur advice inadvacne.

Cheers
    Shalu
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Ford Mustang

There are plenty of discussions about accessories, etc.. Please ask your questions there..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Some very quick answers....

kyfdx is right about finding info about all theings "new" Mustang being in the other thread.

Shalu.....the mirror I'm referring to would be after market. I think Ford accessories would have them. Ask your dealer about them. Zaino Z7 (wash), Z2 + accelerator (show car polish) would be the minimum I would buy.

jim....run, don't walk from your current dealership. You were "low balled".You've got your deposit back. The Mustang is a hot item. You aren't going to get below invoice or even below invoice deals on them. With the new "pony package", the V6 is getting even more popular than it was with the '05 models.

cary....that's a good price on the V6, Pony Package convertibles. Mostly, the convertibles are going for at or around MSRP.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • jimmira76jimmira76 Member Posts: 19
    Thanx graphicguy. I did start negotiating with a few dealers again already. Thus far I've gotten 3 quotes around $27500 for a black v6 vert with leather, pony package, interior upgrade, & side airbags - I think that's about $1500 under invoice. I'll be ordering it from Ford which is fine as long as I get the car I want. :) Chances are I'll decide on one of those dealers either today or tomorrow & head on over this weekend to close a deal & will keep you updated. What should I do differently this time? What should I be walking out with after I place my order with the dealer? Any questions I should ask?
    Any further advice would be great!
  • jagzbimmerjagzbimmer Member Posts: 17
    Cary1,

My GT is a coupe, not a convertible.... :shades:
    A dealer in the Cincinnati area today advertised..

Any '06 Mustang GT in stock... coupe or convertible.. $96 over invoice...

Prices only good this weekend... No other details...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jjbimmerjjbimmer Member Posts: 8
    I bought out my leased Honda Accord last week. It's a 2002 Accord LX Coupe and I had been the only-ever owner (picked it up with 31 km's on it). Since the car has low mileage and is in excellent shape, buying out the lease and then reselling it made perfect sense to me.

In acquiring the used-car-sale package (required in Ontario to sell a used car), I found that somebody who I had never heard of had a lien against by VIN#. Further investigation with the help of Honda Canada revealed that somehow, somebody else had leased a car with exactly the same VIN# (hence the lien). This other party was contacted and asked to verify their VIN aginst their ownership (to rule out a data entry error) - they have verified that the VIN on the vehicle itself matches the VIN on my vehicle.

My guess at this point is that the other car was illegally resold (possibly stolen or previously written off).

I'm wondering if Honda Canada had sold me my vehicle without first doing a lien check to ensure that the car was actually sellable. At the very least, I did not get full disclosure. I cannot resell the vehicle until they figure out this mess - so how could Honda have sold me that vehicle under the same conditions?

Any advice on how to proceed? Do I have any legal case against Honda? This is in Toronto, Ontario.

Thx,
    -jj
    Since this is a discussion about Ford Mustang pricing.. (hence, the title), you might have better luck posting your questions here:

Any Questions For a Car Dealer?

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jjbimmerjjbimmer Member Posts: 8
    Already did thanks! My appologies - didn't realize it was the wrong group until after the post...

-jj
    kyfdx....was that Castrucci by any chance?
    Yes... in Milford.. the ad was in the Enquirer...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, ky....

For what it's worth, a friend of mine is looking for a Mustang GT. She took the ad to Castrucci. They said it was a printing error, but honored the price, anyway. Unfortunately, they didn't have the color she wants.

It looks like prices are "breaking" on the GTs (finally). That's not too surpirsing given the fact that winter is just around the corner (not a good time to be selling RWD coupes).
  • choppermdchoppermd Member Posts: 1
    Got lucky and found a 06 GT premium. Red on Red. Sticker 28,500. Dealer actually gave it to me for $28,000. Bought it on the the 30th. Maybe end of the month and small dealer in MD was the reason. Anyone else getting $$ off sticker. :)
    Anything off MSRP on a GT should be considered a "good deal" on these cars.

While pricing does seem to be softening a bit on the GTs, I still think we're a ways away from rebates or near invoice deals (if they happen at all).

I'm sure end of month buying could have something to do with it. On the other hand, it could be the fact that both GM and Ford are taking a beating with their SUV and truck sales, too. Therefore, betting on car sales to keep their heads above water.
  • kappastangkappastang Member Posts: 1
    I just looked at 2x black GT premiums with the IUP they were at Crown Ford in Fayetteville NC
  • vistaboovistaboo Member Posts: 3
    Looking at a Mustang GT Premium with stripes, louvers on side windows, upgraded interior, locking wheel nuts, front/side air bags, auto transmission and a few other extras for 28k. Good price?
  • gameovergameover Member Posts: 1
    I'm purchasing a 2006 V6 Convertible Deluxe, Black Ext, Black Top, Medium Parchment Interior:

5 Speed automatic
    V6 Pony Package
    Interior Upgrade
    Leather Seats
    Convertible Boot.

I'm paying $26,571+Tax+Tags. This is about 4.8% over the dealer's cost.

What do you think?
    vistaboo....hard to tell about your pricing since the louvers are a dealer installed option. Don't know what they charge for that.

gameover.....that sounds like a good deal considering the '06s just hit the dealers lots.
    They have a price of $1400 for the louvers and the rally stripes, already installed on the car.
    vista....don't know what the louvers or stripes are really worth. But, if you like it and the price fits where you want to be, go for it.

Just a guess, but I would imagine they've got maybe $400-$500 invested for the louvers and stripes.

As best I can tell, the car is about MSRP (don't know what the price increase is for the '06s over the '05s) and they are throwing in the stripes and louvers for free.

Not bad at all.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Saw a new Mustang GT with the $800+ (18" rim option) yesterday. Sticker was about $28K. BUT the dealers "adjustment" add-on was $3,200. In other words, the person that buys this Mustang will have been "suckered" for sure.
    It's unfortunate, but some dealers have had Mustang sales so strong that they are still trying to get mover MSRP.

In general, the vast majority of the market is still holding at MSRP for the '06 Mustang GTs. Some sporadic reports of a few hundred off or some minor freeby aftermarket stuff thrown in, but overall, MSRP is the market.

You might want to wait until winter hits where you're at to see if you can make an under MSRP deal.
    MSRP on my Mustang 06 GT premium came to 29,370. On top of that they added rally stripes and louvers. I paid 28k and I'm pretty happy with that!
    Thanks,
    VistaBoo
  • rob_rickettsrob_ricketts Member Posts: 1
    I ordered in late august, build was september 19, and the Pony got to the dealership on Tuesday.

2006 Windviel Blue V6
    Convertable
    Leather seats
    Auto
    Pony Package
    tape stripe delete
    active anti theft
    interior upgrade package
    side air bags
    MSRP = 29610
    Invoice = 27366
    Xplan = 27333

Of course, taxes etc bring it back over 30K
    Oh, they aded $45 for "doc fee"
    8.75 CA tire fee
    and 238 for DMV.
    Taxes are 2395.

My sense is the doc fee is NOT legit, while I cannot esape the others.
    Anyone disagree?
    Thanks in advance. Good luck to others.
    I ordered at a dealership 250 miles from home, but hopefully the money saved through xplan and the drive home makes the drive out there worth it.
  • nogtyetnogtyet Member Posts: 11
    chessman count your blessings. I ordered GT Prem Cp manual (w/ IUP and spoiler delete only options) July 1 and NO VIN YET. Ford sez issues w/ manual trans.
    Anyone aware of these issues? Supplier? What can I do re wait?

Any feedback on my choice to delete spoiler and go w/ Cragar-like std wheels? Is that an oxymoron and I a moron? Be honest. Body color is the Tungsten gray which I think is SHARP. graphicguy? Thanks!
    nogt....did you order an '05 (long gone....no more coming)?

If it's an '06, spoiler delete shouldn't have any impact. Nor should the manual tranny. Bullett wheels (cragar style) are standard. No problem there, either. Sounds like the dealer is short on allotment. Or, he's jacking you around because you're trying to buy a GT under MSRP. I'd go somewhere else. Get a Vehicle Order Confirmation with a priority 10. Make sure to ask them what their allotment situation is.

If you don't have a VIN, there's really nothing to be gained by sticking with your current dealer.

That tungsten is a sharp color.
  • nogtyetnogtyet Member Posts: 11
    graphicguy thanks for the info. Yes 06. Oddly, dealer called late this afternoon to say my order had been selected for assembly. Stated max 6 weeks.

Re the "bullett" wheels and lack of spoiler, I was curious how this would go over w/ the enthusiast crowd. I think it'll look better w/o the hunk o plastic on the rear deck. Thanks again.
    nogt....good deal. Glad your order got picked up.

I don't think you'll get a concensus regarding going "spoiler-less". I know people how love the spoiler and I know people who prefer the "clean look".

Wheels? I prefer the Bullitts. But again, that's a personal preference. I don't really like the "upgraded" wheels. I don't even like the "chrome" Bullitts. So, I saved myself a few hundred.
  • kbtkbt Member Posts: 27
    I'm planning to buy a mustang convertible for my husband for Christmas. He's never gotten over the "loss" of his old one when the third child came along. LOL! I know there were significant changes in the '05 model, but since I'll be buying used, is there any real difference in the '03/'04's, or can I just go by mileage/options/price?
    WOW! What a wonderful wife!

The difference between the '03-'04 Mustang and the '05-'06 Mustang is huge.

The pre-'05 Mustangs were based on the FOX platform, which dates back to the '70s-'80s. While, it was highly modified over the years, it was still considered very old in automotive terms. That said, there were a lot of "special editions" out (like a Cobra, for example) that aren't yet available for the '05-'06 versions.

In short, the '05-'06 versions advantages over the earlier Mustangs are....

--much more solid platform and build
    --Convertibles have much less body/roof "shake"
    --more fuel efficient
    --better handling (unless you go to a later model Cobra with an independent rear suspension of the earlier models
    --Styling
    --comfort
    --better ride
    --more modern options

While I understand that even used '05 Mustang convertibles are still commanding nearly new prices, if you can swing it, there's enough differences in the pre-'05 and the '05-'06 version, that it would be preferred.

If you can't swing it, getting a pre-'05 convertible with at least the GT package would be preferrable.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    Why thank you! Since it was our "dating car", I have some fondness for the breed myself.

Let me clarify, though -- I know the '05 has improved greatly, but it's not going to be an option. As you say, the prices are holding fairly firm, and I'm not that nice. LOL! I will be getting either an '03 or an '04, unless I come across a really good deal.Based on your input, I may look a little harder in that direction, but I really think it will still come to the earlier version. Though it is the GT version I'm after in those models.

So in a comparison of the '03 and '04, is there any real difference I should be aware of?

I really appreciate the help!
    kbt....I'm not real knowledgeable about the pre-'05 Mustangs, so I'll let someone else chime in.

I do know that the '03 and '04 model year had a slew of editions. A GT Convertible would indeed be a nice gift. Plus, who knows.....that could bring about a moon lit night with a little romance under the stars to take a trip down memory lane.
  • davegenetdavegenet Member Posts: 6
    There is no comparison. I wouldn't have considered a pre-05 (okay, I did get an '01 V6 for my 16 year old son earlier this year), but the '05 and '06 Mustangs are such great cars I'm having a hard time deciding between getting a Mustang or a pricier European import. What an amazing job Ford has done.

Anyway, your husband will really love you if you get him an '05.
    My husband really loves me anyway. This is a third car, his fun car, but we will still be paying taxes/insurance/gas on the other. I get it that the 05's are better, but if my husband got to choose, I think "pre-'05 Mustang" would beat out "no Mustang".
    I'd bet if he could choose.. he would definitely want the GT with the V-8, though.. I know I would.. not that I'm getting one.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kbt...an '03 GT convertible with teeny miles and pristine condition (that's that kind you should get him) will run about $16K-$17K.

A used '05 GT convertible will run close to MSRP........that's USED....figure low $30s. So, the price differential is significant. Regardless of pricing issues, it's no wonder your hubby loves you. Hell, I don't even know you, but if someone did that for me, I'd love her, too.

I'll have to let my current GF know what you're doing.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
  • jimmira76jimmira76 Member Posts: 19
    kbt,

I used to have an '03 mustang & bought it right around the time the '04s were coming out so I had to research what the differences were. From what I remember, on the v6 there was maybe a 3 or 4 hp difference where the 03 had just a bit more hp for some reason. I believe there was no difference in the GT's, though, in that regard. The only other differences were in the options where some were standard in 03 only to become extras you paid for in 04. I remember traction control being chief among them. Other than that, styling, ride, & comfort were all the same. Let us know how you make out!
    Thank you. I appreciate it. Makes me feel better that either will be okay, and I'll go for the teeny-miles-pristine-condition strategy and see what I find. And definitely the GT. That's what he had the first time (an '85 I think ... wasn't that the year before they put the luggage rack on the back?), so that's a must.

As I mentioned in a different thread I'm trying to find the balance between not getting caught taking something just to meet my Christmas deadline if I wait too long, and not having a sizeable investment and insurance sitting in a garage for two months if I find something now.

So I'm looking, trying to get a sense of what's out there, see what the average seems to be price and miles-wise around here, and I'll probably get serious about pinning something down around Thanksgiving. Unless something really lovely pops up before then.

graphicguy, I appreciate the kind words. I negotiate for all our cars anyway and since it'll be used, where you're limited in choosing a specific configuration anyway, I figure if I get it for Christmas, rather than just saying "okay let's go find one", then I don't have to get him a Christmas present, as well. LOL! The trick isn't keeping it from him; I just have to make sure the loudmouth-yet-annoyingly-observant kids don't figure it out!
    kbt.....good luck!

No luggage racks unless it's an aftermarket.

Obviously, you want to check the local newspaper. Personally, I'd might shop some Ford dealers to see if there are any '03s-'04s around that have been "certified" (CPO) by Ford. They've been inspected and carry warranty by Ford. You'll pay a few hundred more for those, but IMHO, it's well worth it.

Private party saleso of these cars, particularly the GT, is that there are a lot of "younger folk" who use them for street races. They aren't necessarily well taken care of.

Case in point....a while ago, there was a young'un who's mummy and daddy bought them a new Mustang. Guy decided to make a video of him in his new ride doing 360s, on a brand new car, with a yet to be broken in engine. Not only did he film himself burning all the tread off the tires, he also cracked the axle as well as blew the engine.....ON A NEW $30K CAR.

I see this all the time when I drive my Mustang. People pulling up next to me at red lights, smoking their tires.

You've got some time to look around. I know there will be something out there that you can find you'll like and your Hubby will be thrilled with. I'm sure whatever you get him, he'll be thrilled with, however. It's a gift from you. That's all he'll need to know (better get ready for some steamy romance when you present the "gift" to him, too ;)
  • purplegtpurplegt Member Posts: 22
    Wow....good thing I have a nice purple mustang GT, 1996, 46,000 miles...STiLL.
    Ordered my 2005 GT Premium Nov. 16, 2004.....yes, 2004. No mustang. End of June 2005 re-ordered a 2006....since my 2005 wasn't going to be made. Well, here it is, October 21, 2005 and still waiting for my car. It'll be a year in November since I originally ordered.
    Are there any other dummies out there like me who have been this patient waiting for a V8 mustang GT premium?
    I still make my every 2 week phone call on Friday to see if there is any VIN, any production date. Still being told, the computer is waiting to pick you. And I have a priority 10 this time, for sure. Saw it on my paperwork. I went as far as asking, who can I write to, who can I complain to at Ford...am only told by the person on the other line that they can pass it along to their supervisor.
    Is it because I'm a woman who likes hot cars or because I got it at about $1800 under MSRP?? I don't get it.
    They say patience is a virtue....I must be a saint.....
    I'd like to know if anyone out there knows anyone else in this situation...it's the little guy against the big guy. Sure they're in short supply, but give me a break, you can't tell me it takes a year to get a car produced from the factory.
    And Ford wonders why they're losing money and can't sell cars....get a clue!!
    I'll give everyone a BIG YIPPEE on this site if I ever get my car....... :mad:
  • mcbuckstermcbuckster Member Posts: 32
    I just ordered a V6/AT with pony package, side airbags, and a few other options, and paid $23,400 + t/l, this forum helped, thanks.
    purple.....sounds like your dealer is putting everyone else in front of you with their allotment. My guess is you'll never see it until they decide to sell GTs at $1,800 off MSRP.

At this point, you've got nothing to lose by going to another dealer and starting the process all over again. This isn't a Ford issue. It's a dealership issue.
  • jagzbimmerjagzbimmer Member Posts: 17
    purplegt,

Not sure where you are located (or the dealer you ordered from), but I went to a small dealership in Northern NJ back on 7/26. I had a hard time getting them to enter the order into the system, but they finally did on 9/8 (I got a DORA and VOC). I just called the Ford number to get the status and the car is scheduled to be built next week (10/24). Here are the details of the car I ordered:

GT Premium
    Satin Silver/Red Interior (Int Color Accent Pkg)
    Auto
    IUP
    Side Air Bags
    18" fan blade wheels (64W)
    Retail Price: $29,005
    X-plan (as per contract and DORA): $27,013 (less destination of $695) = $26,318.

This is $2,687 off of MSRP. I too was thinking that the car would never get built, but this dealership is very reputable. It does have a small alottment, but not the customers to support it (most of the customers buy F-150's or sedans at this dealership). I'm probably one of only a handful of people who ordered a GT from this dealership. One other thing to note...not sure how popular the Mustangs are where you are, but I don't see many here...since it's been introduced, I've seen maybe a dozen on the road...maybe it's easier here to get a deal.

I would take graphicguy's advice and go someplace else. I had to talk to 10 different dealerships before I could find one that would do X-plan. My plan was either X-plan or nothing. I would never pay MSRP (or above) for ANY car...even a car as beautiful as the new Mustang.

By the way, does anyone have any idea how long from build date to arrival at the dealership?

Thanks.
  • vistabluevistablue Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my Vista Blue 2006 GT in Pittsburgh PA. No one was excepting my X-plan but after 2 weeks one dealer called to except it. He had just received his third GT. He has had his first since mid August. Deciding factor (I think) I was at this dealership for 2 hours in the evening. I was the only one there. Keep trying to deal they have to come down. :)
    jagz....while I didn't go to 10 dealers to find one who offered "X" plan on the GT (for those uninitiated, "X" plan is the Ford employee/supplier "friends and family" price), it did take me a while to get my local dealer to honor it.

As most here know, I went to the dealership (for the 4th time) when it was snowing in the midst of one of the worst winters in recent memory. No one was in the showroom. Matter of fact, the weather was so bad, they were planning on closing the dealership early the night I walked in. After 3 previous unsuccessful attempts, they finally ordered it at X plan for me. Fortunately, I knew all about DORA and VOC and made sure I didn't leave the dealership without a signed agreement to ward off any "misunderstandings" with the deal later on.

Mine showed up 7 weeks to the day after I ordered it, but I got lucky. If everything is done right, the dealership has allotment, they give your order at least a "10" priority number, the wait time is normally about 8-12 weeks from the date of order.

MSRP on mine, with IUP, ICAP, Side Airbags, active anti-theft, bullitt wheels was $28, 050. My X plan price paid was $25,500. As of a couple of months ago, I had DEALERS offer me MSRP for it.....USED. Recently, I had a private party offer me $28K for it. With winter coming, as much as I'd hate to do it, I may take someone up on their offer. Maybe come back during the Spring and buy another '06.
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    Purple, At the risk of another "me too" to your post. I have to agree with graphicguy and jagsbimmer. Go to another dealership. Ford ain't your problem, the dealership is. They're running you around and probably laughing behind your back every time you leave. I had a great dealer experience, with my dealer verifying my order ( and taking my deposit) only as soon as they were able to include it in their allotment. Their predicted delivery was within two weeks of the actual delivery date in July. RUN away from those losers!
  • purplegtpurplegt Member Posts: 22
    Hey Graphicguy and those who've responded to me this past year....I might be in some luck getting my car....FINALLY...last week I emailed my dealer with a what's going on, please call me. (I'm dealing with the owner of the dealership) And didn't hear a word for almost 5 days. SO....I sent him a 2nd email and chewed his back side, and used your suggestion of actually telling him I was getting a run around, and that if I didn't hear back from him this week, I was going elsewhere, I'm tired of his game.
    I'm not holding my breath here by any means until I hear I have a VIN, but he said he called his rep and he must have caught them in a good mood, as they told him they would pull my order and begin production next week...! Said he would phone me again as soon as he gets the VIN.
    So guys, if this is true, usually what is the wait time till it gets to the dealer? I'm finally feeling a bit pumped about the prospect of finally getting it, but will only believe it when I get my VIN.....
    I just had to tell ya I might actually be getting somewhere....after a year!!!
    Still tics me that he magically got this response, why weren't you calling for me all along.....makes him look really good.....not.
    I'll keep in touch and let you know what transpires....hope you all have a fun halloween weekend!! :shades:
  • goooalsgoooals Member Posts: 2
    Which dealership in California did you order from?
  • skiutahbobskiutahbob Member Posts: 11
    I had a great experience with my 2006 GT Premium order. The dealer was straight with me and all went well.

Ordered September 5th
    Built September 19th
    Delivered October 20th
    Black coupe w/black leather
    18" Fanblades (they really look great in person)
    Every option except shaker 1000 (needed golf club space)
    Clear bra on front of hood and bumper
    30% tint on all side and rear windows (3m w/metal film)
    MSRP $30,000 (to the penny)
    Xplan paid $27,712

I love this car...470 miles so far. My first road trip in two weeks from Salt Lake to Las Vegas.

Bob