Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wkeyswkeys Member Posts: 3
    The "A" plan is the Ford employee plan, and you must have a PIN number provided to you by Ford. That PIN number will enable you to purchase 1 vehicle only.
  • moostangmoostang Member Posts: 12
    Just curious - a friend of mine has offered me one of their family member's "friends and family" discount. However, it is her husband's father who is a retiree from Ford. What type of discount is this exactly? Just curious as to if it is really worth it?
    Also forgot to ask - what's the difference in Sticker & Invoice? I keep seeing people talking about the invoice price - what's the difference?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,817
    Sticker price = MSRP.. the price on the window sticker..

Invoice = Wholesale price... what the dealer pays Ford for the car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• vistabluesvistablues Member Posts: 6
    I ordered my 2006 GT premium vista blue convertible in early October from a very small dealership in WI. The dealer wasn't sure he could get it, but said he gets one GT a year. Still haven't heard anything and I'm going crazy. Any ideas?

Vistablues
  • mcbuckstermcbuckster Member Posts: 32
    Vistablues -- ask your dealer for the VIN, and if they would check on the build and shipping status for you. Once you have a VIN it is much easier to get info. I ordered my V6 in late Oct and still dont have it, but heard this week thats it has finally shipped. It was built on 12/12 almost a full month ago! Make them check for you, they can find out if it has been built, or is at least scheduled. good luck!
  • bostonbratsbostonbrats Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone--new to this board--bought my wife a 2006 Mustang GT Premium Convertible on Christmas Eve from Gillespie Ford in San Antonio, Texas--was a "spur-of-the-moment" decision--but I think we did well--paid $31,994 before TTL--below invoice. It is Torch Red with red leather interior, Shaker 1000 and the 18" Premium Wheels--Manual--Interior Upgrade Package--Convertible Boot--Locking Wheels--Active Alarm--Front Side Airbags--Color Accent Package--Spoiler--NICE! After buying it and doing some research--these Torch Red GT Convertibles with Red Leather seem hard to find--guess we lucked out--first place we looked--first place we bought--didn't even test drive before buying--and again--think we got a great deal! My insurance went up $30 per month (traded 2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4X4)--all in all--life is great! Only complaint--cheesy floormats--but fixed that--ordered red mats with pony logo from Mustang Tuning.com for $74.99!! Talk with you soon--take care!
  • yannickyannick Member Posts: 17
    Evidently my Pony was built on Jan 4th (my salesman told me it was "bucked" - that means it was completed I guess) and that it would take 2 weeks to get here, give or take a few days.

The process will have taken exactly 8 weeks, if I get it in 2 weeks. Not bad considering that they shut down the factory for two weeks at the end of the year.

Its sort of been a pain, and I am tired of not having a car, but I guess when I see it, I wiil forget the last 2 months.

Good luck to everyone out there with their Mustangs!
  • mustangmommustangmom Member Posts: 3
    noticed people with questions about the pony package, in particular the floor mats.
    what about the floor mats in the gt?? mine dont have mustang or the logo anywhere on them is it possible someone at the dealership switched out my mats?
  • purplegtpurplegt Member Posts: 22
    hey vistablues...I'll give you a good story, I too ordered at 2005 GT Premium, in Nov. 2004...from a small WI dealer...by June of 2005, still no Mustang, was told Ford could not produce 13,000 orders. Scrapped my order! Went back to same dealer end of June 2005, reordered a 2006. Was informed at that time that the dealer had a small allotment, wish I'd known that months ago! After the July shutdown Ford has to retool, I bugged the daylights out of Ford Direct, called the 800# weekly and complained. WHERE IS MY CAR? I think they finally got tired of me complaining, I finally got my car Dec. 16, 2005, exactly 13 months after my initial order. Find out what your dealers allotment is, find out what priority they gave you, if it's not a priority 10, you'll likely not see your car for a long time. I had a priority 10 the 2nd time around and it still took 5 months to get it. A guy who ordered from the same dealership 2 months after me is STILL WAITING for his car! I was told when I picked it up if I hadn't of kept complaining like I did, I most likely still wouldn't have it. Take your order to a bigger dealership, show them the pricing, if they'll match, you're likely to get your car quicker. I had major patience...but am very happy with my Torch Red GT...she's a beauty. Very fun to drive, am finally getting used to it, feels bigger than the 96 GT I had. Good luck, I hope you have better results than I did!!
    Lisa T in WI...... :shades:
  • nowgfstcatnowgfstcat Member Posts: 19
    I ordered my 06 GT Prem Coupe on 12/7, got an email yesterday from the salesman and it's already been serialized and they have a copy of the preliminary invoice. So, he expects the car to be at the dealership by the end of Jan or first week of Feb. (That's about a month yearlier than they told me when I ordered it).

I can't wait to see it.
    When people are talking about "ordering" their mustang and they haven't "received" it yet....what are you talking about? Are you speaking of ordering online directly from Ford or did you actually go to a Ford dealer and choose the features you want and it is being specially built? Is there an additional price for having your mustang "built?"
    Yes, I ordered mine directly from a local dealer, they placed the order with the factory. That way I was able to pick n choose the options that I wanted (even though I got all but 2 of them). There is no extra costs in having the car built to your specs, it just takes extra time to get the car built & delivered. The benefit to me in having the car built was the dealer sold me the car at Employee Price. :shades:

Hope this helps answer your questions.
    Yes that is very helpful. I just figured I would have to pretty much settle for what they had on the lot which would be something close to what I want but not exactly what I want.
    There are ways to search other Ford lots for the car you are looking for, you can do this yourself, or your dealer can help. I oredered mine because I could not find the mustang with the options that I wanted. Keep in mind that if you order one be prepared to wait. Mine was finished/built exactly 1 month ago, and I still do not have it (it must be on a very slow train). A V6 order will take 2-4 months, a GT order longer. Good Luck.
    The ordering period will depend on what part of the country your in and your dealers allotment for cars. Here is Missouri, I placed my order for a 06 GT on 12/7 and I just got an email from my salesman that the car should be delivered by the 1st week of Feb (2 months from order date).

So, alot of it depends on 1) location 2)allotment 3)Priority Code you were given (mine was 35).

Hope this helps

Oh--if you go to ford website and build the stang that you want, then you can search dealer inventories (enter the zip code) and you can see what all of the dealers have in stock.

Good Luck
  • straystray Member Posts: 11
    Picked up my mustang yesterday,1/11/06, which I ordered on 11/04/05. V6 Premium w/Pony Package, Tungsten Grey, Interior Sport Appearance Package. Well worth the wait.

Looks and drives great. The upgraded suspension that came with the Pony Package makes the car. I think the car handles great. I know I made the right decision on the options I ordered.

I've read where some people are not happy with the various hues that show through in the Tungsten Grey color. This I
    do not understand, I think the grey looks great and matches the wheels that came with the pony package really well.

Someone once stated on one of these forums that the V6 Premium w/Pony Package was the best deal for the money. I have to agree. I believe I am going to be very happy with my new toy.
  • jrentjrent Member Posts: 15
    I have noticed recently several '05 GTs for sale on the used market at apparently reasonable pricies $26,000 - $28,000 with low mileage 11,000 and in one case 4,000! Any thoughts why someone would buy this and turn it around so quickly
    Thanks so much for your help!
    No Problem

Well I got great news yesterday. According to the automated system at Ford. My car shipped via convoy on 1/10. I didn't order it until 12/8/05. Seems VERY quick for a GT Prem Coupe but I'll be happy to finally get my car.

I expect to have it sometime next week. I can't wait! :shades:
    That is quick. I ordered mine in Nov, it was built and shipped on 12/12 and I am still waiting for it. I hope yours ships quicker.
  • cmhullcmhull Member Posts: 1
    I live in North Carolina and am days away from buying an 06 Coupe V6 Mustang. Would anyone here be able to tell me what Ford "factory-to-dealer" incentive is on this car? Also, any info on what their "floorplan fee/wholesale financial reserves" is? Any help is appreciated!
  • rmackowskyrmackowsky Member Posts: 19
    I factory ordered a 2006 GT Premium, loaded (minus shaker 1000), 18" fanblades, on 1/4/2006. Price was invoice + 250 doc fee (got it down from $399 - ridiculous here in NC). I was extremely happy and surprised at this price. Did I get lucky or are we starting to see GT's at or close to invoice? (I had invoice deal ready to go on a V6 since September, so I know those deals are common).
    I think your getting a better deal from the dealers if you order the car. The dealers in my area aren't giving out good deals on stock vehicles but if you order it you can get a good deal.

I got employee pricing on a 06 GT in December when I ordered it. My baby was built last Tues, still waiting on him to leave Flint Rock though.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    jrent....just a little history should explain the barely used Mustangs.

When the '05 Mustang was released, demand was much higher than what the factory produced. Ford went so far as to up production of the Mustang to meet demand. It still wasn't enough to cover demand. There were about 13,000 people who ordered an '05 Mustang that Ford coudln't produce. This shortage was particularly acute with the GT version.

Some of us (me included) were fortunate enough to buy the '05 Mustang GT at one of Ford's discount plans (vast majority of these sold at, or above MSRP due to demand exceeding supply).

Dealers were paying top dollar for private sales of these GTs as well as at the auctions.

Bottom line, I owned my '05 Mustang GT for about 9 months. I bought/ordered it using Ford's "X-plan". Since a lot of people had ordered, waited a year (or more) to get one, they finally decided to look at used. I sold mine for no other reason than I owned it for 9 months and was able to sell it for well over what I paid for it.

I think this phenomena has eased slightly, but I still don't see many new '06 GTs on dealers lots. Demand is still high, therefore resale is still high.

Add to that fact, there just isn't much on the market that appeals to the muscle car enthusiast....The Hemi Charger (still a 4-door, and with an automatic tranny), the GTO (which has been a disappointment for GM for many reasons...and still doesn't sell well) are the only ones. Plus, those cars still cost more than a Mustang GT, for essentiallly the same performance of the Mustang.

There are some muscle cars that supposedly are coming down the pike (Camaro, Dodge Challenger), but those aren't guaranteed to be put into production. Even if they do get to the factory floor, it won't be for another 3-4 years.

So, that's the reason the Mustang (especially the GT) is so popular, in so high demand, and still commands good money on the used market (and also the reason there are used ones on the market....former owners made money on them).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • amacgowanamacgowan Member Posts: 1
    I bought my wife a 50th birthday present on 1/10/06. An 05 Mustang Convertible premium. Sticker price $28000, price paid out the door $24500 tax, tile etc. Sure beats the A plan. When I met her she was a young girl with an old Mustang. Now she is an old girl with a new Mustang!
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Didn't believe the above about the glut of used GT's, so checked out the online San Francisco Chronicle used car ads:

1) Found one GT, automatic. None with manual.

2) All the cars are being sold by car dealers and car rental agencies, none by private owners. Dealers are probably selling repossessed cars. Rental agencies are all selling V6's, no V8's.

3) The vast majority of cars advertised, in fact all but a couple, were V6's.

The GT Premium remains rare, hard to find used or new, and is even rarer in popular colors with a manual tranny.
    pony-pirate....I don't think there's a glut of '05+ Mustang GTs on the market. There are a few. It could be because they're repos. I know some people (some on these boards) that bought the Mustang GT because in looked "cool"....no other reason. Car rental agencies don't even carry GTs....just V6s....and those are all automatics.

A while ago, I related a story about a woman who bought a Mustang GT. She complained that it was loud (she didn't like the exhaust note...go figure) and rode too hard. After quizzing her, she said her previous car was a Solara. Now, these two cars have little in common other than they were both coupes. I don't know what became of her Mustang GT, but I'd bet a dollar to a dime, she traded it for something more sedate.

Fact is, since the '06s have been out, I've seen maybe 1 GT per dealer sitting on their lot (and even that's a rare sight). Those weren't there more than a few days.

You are correct....Mustang GTs of either '05 or '06 vintage, with manual trannys, especially premium versions, are very hard to come by.

Just looked in the local paper this a.m. There was a dealer ad for an '05 GT base with automatic. The car probably stickered for $28K. Asking price was $29K....USED with 4K miles.

This car (GT version) has been out more than a year, and demand is still very high.
  • jrentjrent Member Posts: 15
    Graphicguy...Thanks very much for the education. I forgot about the high demand and special buying incentives. Now it makes sense to me, appreciate your insight.
  • notsallynotsally Member Posts: 2
    My wife ordered me the car of my dreams for Christmas. 06 Premium convertable with the Pony package. Sticker 29300 paid around 25700 (D-plan). We have to pay the taxes separately here in Missouri, so that will add another 1500 or so. But I'd much rather pay a little more for a brand new one. One dealer around here had 3000 off all their Stangs, but I didn't notice any GT's.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large local newspaper would like to speak to consumers in Southern California who have recently purchased or shopped for a Ford and why they either purchased a Ford or decided on purchasing another vehicle. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence no later than January 19, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

jrent....glad to have helped. There were many of us around here who were among the first to get the new Mustang. We lived through all the hypoe, ordering and waiting, so are familiar with the history. Some of us got lucky and found dealers who weren't really sure how popular the new body style would be last winter when they first came out. They were used to selling pre '05 Mustangs for invoice less big incentives. Those dealers were willing to put in orders for us that included employee purchase programs. Once it was clear Ford had a runaway hit on their hands, and dealers couldn't get their hands on enough of them (GTs), prices were, at best, MSRP. Some even sold the ones they could get their hands on for well over MSRP.....and people paid that amount.

I resisted selling mine for 9 months, but had plenty of offers for MSRP, even though it was used. I kept it, drove it, put nothing but gas in it (dealer even gave me my first oil change for free). Then, one day, someone made an offer for a couple thousand more than I paid for it....and I finally said "OK". That's never happened to me before (and probably never again).

I'm certain some bought one and couldn't afford it. So, here comes the repo man. Those cars end up at the auctions, too.

V6 Mustangs, on the other hand, are fairly plentiful. Still, Ford hasn't slapped any incentives on those units yet. So, they must be selling pretty well, too.

The Mustang GT is pretty unique to the market. You aren't going to find a car that's been the styling hit the new Mustang has been, that handles well, comes well-equipped, that'll do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, that has won all the automotive press accolades, for anywhere under $30K MSRP.

The Mustang GT is playing in a sandbox of 1 with all those attributes.

By the time the competition catches up (if they can catch up) with the likes of the Challenger and Camaro (neither has been given the green light for production), the Mustang will probably up the quotient with something like a BOSS or MACH version. If the Dodge and/or Chevy answer to the Mustang ever do hit the streets ('08 or '09), the Mustang will be ready to be revamped in it's 4th model year.

Let's not forget that later on THIS YEAR, the Shelby GT 500 Mustang, with 475 HP will hit the streets with an MSRP of less than $40K.
  • 1panky1panky Member Posts: 34
    I see the same false conclusion to why buyers can't locate the manual GT version Mustangs. it is not that there is a high demand for this model, it is because there are so few being produced with the options wanted. There are many Mustangs in the dealership lots here in the metro DC area because they are either V6 automatics or models that the few thousand on the present waiting lists do not want and other potential customers are not willing to pay the high prices the dealers are still attempting to get. It has to do with poor planning by the manufacturer and it's failure to look at the play-book of the 1964/65 Mustang launch. Lets face it, the Mustang is a basic production vehicle that should not have been marketed with such huge mark-ups that did not benefit the manufacturer's bottom line. These vehicles should have been reasonably priced as the production vehicle that they are to move them off the lot no matter which model was chosen. Having a situation where there are limited manual v8's or an unwillingness to offer GT packages for the 6's was truly a monumental blunder on the manufacturing side. The baby boomers such as myself who decided to wait and see how prices etc. worked in the future, feel we made a good decision in waiting. I have a 2004 GT premium with the manual tranny and have had to date over 20,000 happy and uneventful miles. Chrysler is following in the same sorry marketing model as Ford by limiting the availability of the Charger Hemi and pricing them quite high with mark-ups. Moving volumes of regular production models that mimic styles of the past is the way to go to maufacturer profitability. Marketing these vehicles as limited production models is a "fool-hardy" marketing plan at best. This is why you can go to any of the Ford dealers I have visited and see loads of unsold Mustangs languishing on the lot. It also doesn't help to have new vehicles produced at such a pace only to be plagued by annoying later repairs due to slopping workmanship or design. Bring back the old marketing professionals and keep the hard driving college kids out of the decision process and we will all have a good and profitable time.
    The only unsold Mustangs I've seen "languishing" on dealers' lots are V6's and a few Rousche's. Don't believe me? Go online or pick up a phone and check out what dealers have available for sale.

I disagree about the above criticism of Ford's strategy. Putting a car into production is a multimillion, if not billion, dollar proposition, included in which is very careful, very expensive market research. Projections of the precise price point most likely to generate the greatest sales have been very very carefully worked out.

Ford is currently running TV ads for the Mustang. Featured prominently in those ads is the GT. But that doesn't mean they're out to sell GT's? Far from it. They're using the GT to lure customers, to create the image, the mystique, knowing full well that the consumer market for higher-priced high-performance V8's with manual transmissions is limited compared to the broader, deeper market for the much cheaper V6's. The long-term consumer market for Mustangs lies with the V6, not the GT. The GT, by comparison, represents a specialized niche market, ergo the limited production. It's no coincidence that that has been the pattern with Mustang sales from the beginning.

The GT w/ manual tranny is almost exclusively a male car. The auto tranny V6 is for both sexes, has a broader, more general appeal. You can't make much money with a car that appeals to only half the population.

And look what's out on the road: GT's are relatively rare, even less common than V6 convertibles. The V6's are popping up everywhere. The V6's even outnumber the GT's in these forums, which tend to have a disproportionate number of male enthusiasts.
    Can someone give me a detailed description of what I can expect from the dealership when I start to wheel and deal for my new 06 GT? I have a X-Plan friends and family discount and the dealership said I would get "above invoice" pricing??? What does that mean?

I have asked and read the difference in discount pricing before but want to understand it so I don't get hoodwinked. 1) I am female 2)I have done my research but still feel "stupid" when talking to sales men. Why do I always feel like I am getting cheated?

Anyway, I have a trade it worth $1,200 (KBB value) - will have cash down - approximately $2,000 or a little more PLUS the X-Plan discount. I am tossing between the GT Premimum or V6 Premimum Convertible. Can someone help? Sorry to keep dwelling on an old subject.
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who purchased a Ford Fusion, Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300 or new Ford Mustang and previously drove an SUV or an import. Please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, January 24, 2005 containing your daytime contact information and a few words about your choices.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

You Mustang fans are popular :)

A reporter is looking to speak with a new Mustang owner who was a fan of the 1960s era Mustang but not the 1980s or 1990s era Mustangs. Please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, January 24, 2005 containing your daytime contact information and a few words about how you feel about the new Mustang.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Ford made approximately 60,000+ '05 Mustang GTs (far from being "limited production"). Don't know what '06 production will be, yet. But, since demand is still high, I expect them to make just as many '06s.

But fact is, the reason for the shortage of GTs is demand, pure and simple. Ford can't keep up. Believe me, no one at Ford wants to "short sell" any of their models. If they can build to demand, they'd do so. Ford has only one plant making the Mustangs....and they share that production facility with the Mazda 6's production.

Ford had made 140,000 pre '05 Mustangs. They upped production for '05 models to 150,000. Then, as it became clear that number still wasn't enough, they upped production again to 190,000 units (or full plant capacity). That still didn't meet demand (at least for the GTs). GT production is approximately 30% of all production. They can't produce any more than 30% because the 4.6L engine (as well as many other components) is shared with the SUVs and F-150s (in different states of tune, though).

Dealers set their own prices. Dealers are not required to honor X plan (friends and family), A plan (Ford employee pricing), etc. It's totally up to the dealer. X plan pricing is at or near invoice (depending on model and options). IF you find a dealer that will honor any of the Ford pricing plans for the Mustang GT, jump on it. The vast majority of them won't (but will for slower selling models like the 500, Explorer, F-150, etc).
  • 1panky1panky Member Posts: 34
    The two points taken in reply to my earlier posting were interesting and informative. I don't agree with the "Ford knows what it is doing" chorus or that the 60,000 units built is something to "cheer" about. The financial bottom-line of the company demonstrates, that they along with other manufacturers have dropped the ball in this area. It's a good thing a powerful investor as Mr. Kerkorian is not present to breathe urgency in the pending "turn-a-round."

If planned properly, the demand for the Mustang would be present for the entire line and not just one segment of production. Today, you can still drive to work and rarely see a Mustang on the road. This is not a positive sign for a "high-production" model no matter how you look at it.

I am old enough to remember the sales of the first Mustangs in the 60's. All units regardless of model was snapped up. Customers actually followed the delivery trucks to the dealership to purchase one. You saw these cars everywhere even on your street (my street had two!). You couldn't read a magazine without a advertisement of this new offering and this "excitement" continued well-into the '65 year run. This was indeed volume sales and demand at it's best along with professional marketing. This, of course, was before the internet advertising philosophy (post it; and they will come!). The sales numbers then greatly dwarfed the numbers of today's model.

Unfortunately, the pricing of the new models are just too high in my opinion to compete with other offerings. And as for marketing, you don't really see much after the infamous Steve Mc Queen t.v. commercial. The numbers of units still on dealer lots appear to point to this point. There may well be a disconnect in the marketing plan; if there is a plan curentcurrently. a former PR "hack", my "limited" experience tells me that "someone has dropped the ball along the way," as my old boss used to say. I discussion has come up in conversations I have had with several sales personnel at my local dealer during my trips for scheduled maintenance on my '04 GT. They say it would be great if they could provide a more resonablreasonableo clear their lots. The product is present and ready to go but, potential customers are not willing to pay premium prices for six-bangers. Chrysler is also experiencing this situation with the Dodge Charger. The hemi models are in short supply but,their base models are priced too rich for those showing any initial interest.

There are some great offerings coming on line in the near future mimicking the 60's muscle cars from the other manufacturers. Time will tell if their "market-teers" will follow this same, sad pricing guideline. When all is said and done; the fact remains that the manufacturer cannot survive by selling a percentage of a 160K unit run. There is a small window of opportunity for the "excitement" of these types of offerings to ultimately die down and the window is getting smaller as this segment gets crowded by other manufacturers.
    graphic guy, I would like to know the source for your quote of 60,000 '05 Mustang GT's produced. This seems quite high to me.

In evaluating a company's performance, sales are only one measure. One has to take into account a host of other variables, conveniently termed a "business model," to determine its profitablity. In short, Ford and GM may be riddled with waste and unnecessary costs. The burden of costs added by unionization, as one example, has already been brought up here.
    With all due respect "panky", it sounds like your beef is with the dealer for not selling you a Mustang for what YOU want to pay. Not a problem. You keep your dollars. The dealer finds someone else to sell to.

Fact is, the MSRP for an '05+ Mustang GT (non-convertible) will vary from about $26K (standard) to $28+K (premium...all loaded up). To find that kind of style, with performance of 0-60 in under 6 seconds, good handling, many features, is next to impossible. We've debated several times about the Pontiac GTO being similar, but the style is "ho-hum", and it stickers for over $30K. GM has had, and continues to have a hard time selling them....even with rebates.

I've seen V6 Mustangs selling for around the $18K range (base models). While they are much more plentiful than the GTs, I don't see any fire sales on them. Ford certainly hasn't needed to put any incentives on them. Plus, you'll see more of them on the lots because Ford makes 3 times as many V6 Mustangs as they do GTs. The lower price point dictates they'll sell more V6s than they do the costlier GTs.

My former dealer had 6 V6 Mustangs on their lot (no GTs) as of Jan 2-3. They're all gone, now. He's waiting for his next shipment of Mustangs to arrive. It takes him all of 2-3 weeks to turn over his entire Mustang inventory. That's damn good. The story repeats itself with just about every Ford dealer around me....even with snow on the ground when coupe sales are slow.

I'm sure the mix for Chargers is similar to the Mustang. Base models are always more plentiful than the premium models (in this case, the Hemi version) because they produce more base models.

Because you want to buy a GT, but either can't find one, or aren't willing to pay the going rate for one, doesn't mean they aren't priced right. On the contrary...if most people wouldn't buy them at the price asked, supply and demand dictates that the sales price would be lower.

The excitement factor for the Mustang is still high....over a year after they were brought to market. That's why GTs are hard to come by, even though the plant is running at full capacity.
    pirate....at the beginning of the production run of '05 Mustangs, Ford released a PR stating they were ramped up to produce 150,000 Mustangs...of which, 1/3rd would be GTs. When it became clear that the 150,000 production ramp up wouldn't be enough to meet demand, Ford announced they were upping production to 190,000 units. I think there was another PR that stated they would make the split 60% for V6s and 40% GTs for the remainder of the '05 production run (if memory serves, that was sometime in the May/June '05 time frame).

Being conservative, 1/3rd of 190,000 is ~60,000 units for GT production ('05 models). With '06 production in full swing, I expect that 60,000 number is even higher adding together both '05 and '06 GT production, so far.
  • firemankenfiremanken Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone
    I'm fairly new to the Mustang forum. I have been following it for a few weeks now. Yesterday, I ordered my GT Premium Redfire convertible and they wouldn't budge from the MSRP but I expected that from the start.

Is there a way of following the progress of my Mustang through production. I ordered a Dodge Truck years back and I was given a order number so I could call an automated line and get updated on its progress throughout production and delivery. Does Ford do the same thing or do I have to call the dealership periodically to get info?

I have the VOC with a priority code of 10 and today the salesman called me a gave me the VIN number.

Any info or reference to a previous post would be helpful.

Thanks
    Ken
    graphic guy, then your production numbers are based on Ford press releases of projected, not actual production. I'm curious about actual numbers, amount produced, amount sold, for each model. Are these available anywhere?

Another interesting stat would be geographic breakdown of sales. For one, I see a whole lot more Mustangs in southern than in northern Calif.
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    Once you have the VIN you can follow your cars progress.
    go here and follow the post instructions:
    http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4&hl=tracking
    fire.....you're in good shape. You've got the right priority #, the VOC and, most importantly...the VIN#. That means it's going to be produced in the next several weeks. With delivery time, it should be on the ground in 8-10 weeks.
    pirate...I have no idea what the final production numbers were....only that 13,000 units could not be produced for '05 Mustang orders.

I would say that all that were produced of the '05 model year, were indeed sold. I certainly haven't seen any ads or stock of '05 units being advertised or on dealer lots. Of course, I've not been to every Ford dealer in the country, either.

Don't know what the breakdown by geography of Mustang sales. I'm sure Ford knows. But it's up to them to publicize those numbers. I haven't seen them posted anywhere, though.

I would imagine that warmer climates would have sold more Mustangs than colder ones. That would explain seeing more Mustangs on the road in Southern CA than in Northern CA. Coupe sales are always stronger in warmer climates.
  • firemankenfiremanken Member Posts: 3
    thanks for all your help

ken
  • mikehnicmikehnic Member Posts: 5
    :confuse: I ordered an '06 V6 Pony Pack on November 6th. Here's what the dealership told me.
    Receipt Date: 11/09/05 (I got my VIN# the next week)
    Scheduled Date: 12/12/05
    Status Date: 12/16/05
    Description: PRODUCED
    Delivery ETA: 12/27/05

Alright. So it's built. And not here yet. Flat Rock is 6 hours drive from Totonto, and I'm in the biggest shipping center in the country, and still no car. The dealership as expressed their anger to Ford and they 'dont know what to tell me'. According to them, the "don't know where it is". Now, I'm frustrated because you'd think they should be able to call ford and request status of this car and get a straight answer. Surely Ford tracks these vehicles during shipping via rail or truck? Why can't I get a straight answer as to why this car is almost a month late? Or at least an snswer like "You car is scheduled to leave Michigan a XX date?"

It just makes me think that either the dealership is BSing me, or Ford has 'lost' the car.

Any suggestions?

-Still driving a Dodge Neon. ARGH!
    I understand your frustration. Mine was built a few days before yours, and supposedly shipped on 12/12. Well I finally recvd it a few days ago, it took over a month to deliver it. During that month+ I also could not get any info until days before it arrived. Hopefully yours will arrive soon. I agree that I must be easy to track these cars, but for some reason Ford or the dealer will not do it. Im not sure why. Good luck, it will be worth the wait.