Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    I wonder how Ford's downsizing will affect production of Mustangs. (10 plants slated for closure, 30,000 layoffs.) Even if Flat Rock stays open, will it experience layoffs, or will its supply line of parts be affected?

graphicguy, you may be right after all about Ford's mismanagement, producing too few GT's. Now that the company is in financial straights, it has finally begun actively marketing what must be one of their hottest items, the Mustang. Only now are there regular Mustang ads on TV. Before, they were very rare. One can only wonder if Ford will beef up production to meet the increased demand generated by the ads.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    pirate....I don't know that Ford mismanaged production of the Mustang GT. I do think that they produced as many as they could. I would think that of all the plants they want to close, Flat Rock is actually the one plant that they would want to keep cranking. Why close or debilitate a plant that's actually doing very well?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Graphicguy, "they produced as many as they could"? I would think the almighty Ford could find a way to produce as many Mustangs as consumers were ready to buy. Failing that, they just didn't project demand accurately, something John Kenneth Galbraith would have clicked his tongue at.
  • mikehnicmikehnic Member Posts: 5
    I've been reading most of these posts trying to get some information on what my shipping delay would be. From the information I received from Ford, my car has been in limbo between "PRODUCED DATE" and "GATE RELEASED DATE"

My dealers says he thinks there's 4000 some odd ponies sitting in a warehouse wating for a part. But then why is my car listed as 'Produced'?

Has anyone ever heard of a car waiting 40 DAYS!!! from production to gate release? Out of all the cars I've seen here, and in other forums the longest wait was 14 days?

Still very confused, and driving a neon.

1ZVHT80NX65171013

Receipt Date: 11/9/2005
    Serialize Date: 11/17/2005
    Segment Date: 11/17/2005
    Sequence Date: 12/6/2005
    Blend Date: 12/7/2005
    Produced Date: 12/16/2005
    Gate Release Date: ???????
    Ship Date:
    Arrival Date:
    Sold Date:
    pirate....the only way Ford can produce more Mustangs is to fire up another plant. Flat Rock is running at capacity. You also have to get your suppliers to increase their production of Mustang components. Then, you have to get stamping and assembly machinery for the "other" Mustang plant. Plus, you have train employees at the "other" plant to produce a different vehicle.

Something of that magnitude takes years, not months, of planning and implementation. Some of it is in your control (if you can do it at all). And some of it is out of your control (outside Ford suppliers).

Bottom line, Ford planned to produce more '05+ Mustangs than they did the previous generation. Their increase production planning was reasonable. When it became clear that they had to produce more than planned, they ratcheted up production to plant capacity. Even that wasn't enough. It has been a runaway success. It wasn't lack of planning that has put Ford in the position they're in with the Mustang....it's the very high demand.

Best Ford can hope for now is to have the demand level out....which it will do eventually. Until then, it will be "catch as catch can" for those of us who want a Mustang. It's a sellers market for Mustangs (especially GTs). We've become too used to it being a buyers market for their less than desireable product offerings.
    Mike....Ford generally quotes between 8-12 weeks delivery from date of order (if the dealership has allotment and gives you a high enough priority. You're still well within that period.
    Galbrathian economic theory has it that megacorps producing complicated, expensive products have to control both demand and supply. The capital commitment needed to bring a product, whether it be a car or jet airplane, into fruition requires long-range planning and control of the market. I don't have the time to get into the details, but according to this theory, Ford did a terrible job with the Mustang and hybrids.
    I suppose we could debate Galbraith vs Keynesean economic theory, but that doesn't change the fact that Ford planned for higher demand for the Mustang.....as they should have with a totally new design coming to market. Even they couldn't have predicted that they'd actually have 60,000 more units (over '04 model production) that they could have sold.

Sometimes all the planning in the world accounts for such accelerated demand.
    I think the lesson to be learned from the Mustang's unexpected success is that automakers shouldn't be afraid to design cars with character, that make an original statement, instead of the bland engineering products they usually spew out. A little taste goes a long long way.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Hey guys wanted to run prices paid by you. Just traded in my 05 V6, auto, leather, shaker 500, paid $21,400 for it in may of 05. Traded it in for $17,900 with 8299 miles on it. Purchased a 2006 GT, 5 speed, Torch Red, with trim package and red leather interior, Mycolor, Shaker 500, traction control, 18" rims and the full sensor cluster for $26,864 What a difference in the GT manual. I had added about 28 HP to my old V6 with Intake, exhaust, and tune but it did not pull like the GT by far. Those add on's did help a lot though for anyone looking for more power out of the V6. I think those prices are pretty decent, let me know what you think.

Daniel :D
  • mustangmommustangmom Member Posts: 3
    i just bought an 06 gt premium and i am thrilled to death with it. i am in northern california and was lucky enough to find one on the lot. did "settle" for an automatic though. have to tell you that as a mustang lover, i cant find one thing that i'd change on this car. bravo! my solution to not finding a manual GT was to insist on keeping my manual 1989 5.0 LX.
  • marksermarkser Member Posts: 16
    Hey everyone, I am so excited that I am about to come out of my skin! Ordered my 06 GT Premium, 5 sp, Vista Blue, 18" Fanblades, IUP on 01/23/06. Received my VIN # on 01/27/06. Purchasing at X-Plan! The VIN # assigned to my new toy is 1ZVF128H665205835. Can anyone tell me when I can expect to see it at the dealer? I tried to log into the BlueOval Forums, but not having much luck. I am going crazy with anticipation! Once I get it, I plan to add a Hurst Short-Throw shifter, C&L CAI and tune and either a Borla or Flowmaster Cat-Back exhaust.

Waiting with Great Anticipation!!!!!
  • goldgirlgoldgirl Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! I just joined this website, and I'm super excited about buying a new Mustang! I know I want a black on black V6 automatic convertible, cloth seats, basic everything--no other extras. Is there any difference between a 2005 and a 2006? And should I try to find this car on a lot or have a dealer order it if it's not available? Also, what price should I pitch to them? I'd love to spend around $22,000-23,000. I'm lucky enough to be able to pay CASH, and buy it all outright. So what do I do next?? Thanks and I appreciate all your help! (By the way, I live in Los Angeles.)
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    Hey just took delivery today of my (everthing same as yours) except for I have the machined wheels. WOW!!!! this thing far exceeded my expectations for ride and power. The 5 speed is the only way to go for this beast!
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    The way these other dealers are treating you guys is crazy! You guys need to come to Atlanta where I just purchased my 2006 GT for 500 over invoice, that's almost 2K less than MSRP. There are 2 or 3 more GT's just sitting on the lot waiting to be picked up and believe me they'll let you test drive in a heartbeat and give you the same price. 2006 GT premium with the 18" wheels for under 27 grand, come on down..... Lou Sobh Ford in Decatur.

:) :surprise:
  • vistabluesvistablues Member Posts: 6
    I'm envious of you taking delivery as I am still waiting for my VIN on my GT premium 5 speed convertible. How do you like the vista blue color and tell me about the ride. ... Vistablues
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    I ordered it on Sept 1, and they snuck it in a little early!' anyway the color is unbelievable up close! and performance is WOW!!! getting meat in second gear without trying that hard is way cool. It exceeded my expectations in every way. The ride is very nice not rough but still firm and the car feels very muscular especially with a 5 spd. Good Luck on getting yours!

BTW this is my third GT the last I had was an 87,
  • sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    are not selling well now; pay invoice or do not pay anything
    You LUCKY DOG you!!!! I have been in contact with someone in the plant in Flint Rock that gave me the status of my new toy! It is scheduled to be built the week of 02/13, ship the week after that and I should have it by the end of the month. Man....this is going to be a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGG month!
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    You must be correct because I just located a Ford dealer willing to sell at $400 OVER invoice on the Mustang GT Deluxe with automatic.
  • flepzoydflepzoyd Member Posts: 1
    What area of the country have you experienced this?

Tx
  • rmackowskyrmackowsky Member Posts: 19
    I bought a loaded '06 GT Premium right afer the new year for invoice + $250 doc fee. That was factory order. (It should be here by the end of this month!) Raleigh, NC.
    My Vista Blue GT Premium 5SP is being built tomorrow! I should have it home in about a week after that. I ordered it on 1/25/06. The only things that I added were the 18" Fanblades and the IUP. Including the destination charge, I am getting this baby for the x-plan price......Of course, buying a new Freestyle "helped" them decide to honor the x-plan price on mt GT. If you want an Automatic GT, my dealer here in Atlanta has about 10 of them in all colors. My salesman told me that the 5SP's were quite popular and that they go fast! Just a few more days of AGONY until I can leave 2 nice black strips as I drive it home from the dealership.
  • gmguy1177gmguy1177 Member Posts: 10
    The local Ford Dealer here in Fort Myers has over 90 Gt's listed in there inventory. I am gonna check it out today and see if i can get one for invoice. I would think with that kind of inventory they would do it.
  • spdwy33spdwy33 Member Posts: 21
    Local St. Louis dealers had been adding $2,ooo - $4,ooo over MSRP for GT's.

Then we noticed a few on their lots without the damned 'market adjustment' pricing sticker.

Drove by one dealer tonight to check out a Premium GT convertible - no mark-up on the sticker and the salesman jumped at my offer of $1,000 less than MSRP.

Really thought that was a pretty good deal for our market. Any advise?
  • nowgfstcatnowgfstcat Member Posts: 19
    Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Just be CAREFULL which Ford dealer you buy from. I've had some BAD experiences with some of the St Louis Ford Dealers. (V F, P C) And a few others have a REALLY bad BAD rating on the better business burearu.

Do your research and you should be fine. I bought mine from a dealer in Chesterfield Valley and haven't had ANY problems.

Good luck on bringing home a GT for your driveway.
    Cool - thanks!

At work now and can't check it; but will do tonight.

Want to compare notes with you before we buy. Really hope to have it setting in the driveway this weekend.
    Didn't get your e-mail at home. Found out that the dealer we are talking with now has 25 complaints with the BBB in the last 36 months. Sounds pretty bad compared to some of the others we checked.

Damned - thought we did a really good job with the research; but I never even thought of checking with the BBB!

Definitely interested in what you have to say! Email me or give me?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Please don't post e-mail addresses within your post.. If you want someone to have your e-mail address, then click on Preferences on the left-hand side of the page, and mark your e-mail address as "public".

Thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I leased an 06 Pony package convertible white/parchment with automatic, Intrusion alarm, boot cover, wheel locks.
    MSRP is $28300. Agreed lease price is $26,100. This means I got it at $2200 below MSRP or $200 over invoice.
    Lease rate is only 1.25% for the 36 month lease. To sum it up, I only will pay $700 interest or rent charge for a $26,000 car in 3 years. I think you need $2,000 to start a lease on a $25,000 mustang. A mustang with your specs will cost about $27,000 MSRP, and after haggling it can go down to $25,000. Try leasing only if you can get Ford's Red carpet lease. The residual or payoff after 3 years is 53 percent of MSRP or 14900 for me.
    Thanks for the advise!

Obviously all this new technology confuses me - I don't even have a cell phone!

You are doing a nice job here - very useful site!
    I don't know why it didn't go through. I just sent you another mail. You must of been looking at S-F West Port, they have a bad BBB rating. I also had problems with the dealer when I stopped in to get information from them. It was as if nobody wanted to waist their time, so I left. I emailed you (hopefully) info on the dealer that I purchased from. They were AWESOME to deal with no problems and my salesman was GREAT! Let me know if it doesn't come through this time.
    Just a bit of history....the Mustang (particularly the GT) sold way better than Ford's projections in '05. Sales for the '06 are strong, too. For all of '05 and most of '06 (so far), the GTs were hard to get. It seems supply has eased a bit now...after being on the market for 1.5 years (for the new platform/body style).

I'm fortunate enough that I get to travel a lot for work...all over North America. In my travels, I've yet to see any Ford dealership with more than a 2-3 GTs in stock. I'd venture to say that NO dealership has 90 Mustangs (let alone GTs) in stock. They may CLAIM that. But, it doesn't make it true.

The result of all of this is that Mustang GTs have brought MSRP (or above) in the past. Since supply has eased a little, I would think there are some out there that can get special employee pricing (very hard to do last year) or discounts on in-stock units (if you can find one you want). But, Ford offers no special incentives, rebates, etc on them.

So, if you can get one at $1,000 off MSRP, I'd jump on it.

Many deals involve trades, so it's tought to ascertain what the real bottom line price was. Trade values vary by dealer and region. Plus, we never know if a dealer over under allowed on a trade to make a deal on a new car (which always affects the price paid). Some dealers have very high "fees" (like document fees, accessories, etc) that also pad the final cost.

I had one of the first '05 Mustang GTs in my state. I was lucky enough that I ordered it during one of the worst winters, in one of the worst snow storms in local recent memory. The dealership was willing to order it on an employee pricing plan, based on the fact they had no business due to weather at the time. I ended up selling it 9 months later for no other reason than I made money on it. I don't think that same thing can be done today, but these are still high demand cars.

Remember, the closest competitors are the Dodge Charger (Hemi, 4-door, automatic only) and the GTO (won't be made after this year). Both are more expensive than the Mustang GT. That means the demand for Mustang GTs will remain "hot" for a while.
    Thanks for your input!

Actually we looked very closely at the Chargers - great value but they lost out in the 'fun to drive' category. SRT8 was the real winner, just could not justify $40,000 and premium gas, etc.

Hemi RT with the 350 HP package was priced at $29,500 for 'Friends of Chrysler'. But for $3,000+ more it will just be too hard to pass up the drop top 'Stang!

GTO was deadly fast and a real kick to drive; but 'butt ugly' and had red guages.

Hopefully we have the car all picked out, it is in stock and offered at $1,000 under MSRP. They are asking $125 'doc fee'; but they should be negotiable on that, too. Only reservation is that the dealer has 25 BBB complaints in the last 36 months.

But then again, we don't need to service the car where we bought it, do we??

Again, thanks for your help!
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    The shortage of GT's is easing.

Plus many dealers have stopped taking orders for 06's. YOu can order an 07 next month.

If you are willing to travel the South has a surplus of GT's you can get at X plan or invoice.
    No you don't have to have the car serviced where you purchased it, but from experience, it makes things alot easier. The dealers seem to give perferential treatment to "their" customers first. I tried that once but ended up going back to my purchasing dealer for service so I could avoid the hassels.

If you are planning on buying an extended warranty, MAKE sure you guy the Ford warranty, not an off brand that they might sell you. Alot of those have to be taken back to the purchasing dealer for warranty work.

Good luck
  • goldzgymboigoldzgymboi Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. I test drove my Mustang today. v-6 Coupe Premium with automatic tran. and leather. But I think the leather is standard. Anyway the invoice is $21,700. That is as low as he says he could go. With taxes tags etc it is $22,400. I was told that Ford never ever ever gives rebates on mustangs because they hold their value so well. Also that dealers never ever knock anything off the price because of this also. Is this true? Is there any reason for me to haggle if dealers never knock any off. I am planning to put $6,000 cash down so I thought I might could get it for $20,500. Let me know what you experienced mustangs owners think. Any advice would be appreciated. -D
    You should be able to negotiate on a V6, as they are much more plentiful than the GTs. Go to a couple of dealers and see what they'll do, pricewise. $500 over invoice should get a deal done on a V6.

The Mustang has been such a sales success, that Ford doesn't have to rebate it, at all.
    If your buying a stock mustang off their lot, you probably won't get them to come down much because they know that somebody else will be right behind you willing to pay the higher price. Ford hasn't been offering ANY rebates or incentives on the new Mustangs. That part is true, but some dealers have been willing to Order people Mustangs with x plan or employee pricing, but you have to find a dealer that is willing to do this BEFORE you order your car.

If your happy with the price then I say go for it.

Good Luck
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Not sure where you are (I'm in central Florida), but 'Stangs aren't moving very quickly.

There'a a local dealer with a 2005 V6 convertible leftover that's been there forever. They also have a couple of GT's that have been on the lot for 2 months.
    Go for it!!

First - thank you to all those who advised us on our 'journey'.

We decided on a silver Premium GT convertible!! It is on order and should be in our hot little hands on March 21st! Can't wait to play!!

Thanks again for all of the help and support!

Second - JUST DO IT!!

Do not pass up the chance to own one of these cars!

We rented a six for the weekend - plenty fast and fun - sold us on the whole Mustang 'thing'. (But not the same as a GT!)

Initially we were looking at $1,000 under MSRP on the GT; and we did get a much better deal. So I'd think sixes should be going well under sticker. Look on the Ford web site - they even list 'cost'. Just remember that the 'cost' number has 3% holdback and all sorts of other dealer incentives factored in. I'd offer 'cost' and give them the holdback. Probably would not go much over that now - plenty of sixes around at other dealers.

Good luck!
  • cookie6602cookie6602 Member Posts: 5
    Do any of the new Mustangs have heated seats? I have decided I want a Mustang sometime between now and my 50th birthday next year. Don't know if I can wait that long. I am reading every word you all have to say to get all the information I need before then. What do you all think of that new light blue color? Also with a convertible, do people that have them, use them much, or would it be better to get a hard top? They sure look sharp. Thanks.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Try leasing if you can get Fords Red Carpet Tier 1 lease. Interest is only 1.25% /36 months or 1.0% for 24 months.
    I got mine at $150 over invoice. Total interest for your 36 months with only $2,000 drive off will probably be only $500. Your residual will be about 50% of MSRP for the coupe. You can buy the car after the lease.
    Heated seats aren't an option for the new stangs. Maybe a new model down the road. That's one of the few things that I miss about my prior car. The others are sunroof and radio controls on the steering wheel :(

But you can't go wrong with a new Mustang. I love my GT. I'm not that crazy about the light blue color, but what's important is that you like it. Good luck
    You can get aftermarket accessories to heat up the leather seats.

I wanted heated too but have found the seats dont feel very cold. And the car heats up extremely fast.

The windveil blue is a popular color with women.
  • notsallynotsally Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the different Ford purchase plans are? I've heard A-plan, which I think is for employees only. I've also heard of D-plan and X-plan.
    just read heated seats are an option for 2007.
    A-Current Ford Employee
    Z-Retired Ford Employee
    D-Ford Dealer pricing (for the salesman)
    X-Supplier Pricing

Hope this helps

07 is getting heated seats that SUCKS :mad:
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    Where did you read on the heated seats?
    another site showing the dealer codes for ordering 2007's.