Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
Shopping for a Mustang? Share your experience!

kirstie_h
Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• mlmmlm Member Posts: 2
    I currently have a 05 GT on order, it was ordered back on June 4th. The dealership reports that the status shows the car build and released to convoy for over two weeks. I have heard two stories; one is that there was a problem with the V-8s and they had to hold them up; the other is that some dealers are receiving the GT V-8s. So which is correct?
  • rkelonrkelon Member Posts: 17
    Received 1k off msrp. Bought from Garnet Ford in Chadds Ford, PA. Very nice people, easy deal, no weird fees or surprises. Give them a call and help dealerships that want your business succeed.
  • giddyup1giddyup1 Member Posts: 1
    In Oakland, CA, I just bought a beautiful mineral grey gt with interior upgrade, side airbags, shaker 500. I probably paid a little too much,(it was an impluse buy). I went in to order one and saw this one sitting there, someone had just back out of the deal. I paid 1,500 over dealer invoice and didn't look back. It is a wonderful car!
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    Gt V-8's on the lot in Louisville, Ky.....
    Gt with a $27,650 sticker selling for $26,050..a-plan $24,458
    V-6 with a $22,365 sticker selling for $21,286..a-plan $19853
  • uv4meuv4me Member Posts: 22
    Nice to see some a-plan prices. I'm waiting for the ragtop GT to show up. We have A-plan and look forward to seeing the new convertible in the spring.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Through my employer, we are eligible for x-plan pricing. What type of discount can on expect?
  • nimajavanimajava Member Posts: 8
    Sorry if this question is to obvious, but what is A-plan pricing?
  • tomustang22tomustang22 Member Posts: 6
    whats the best price anyone found for an 05 gt deluxe in pa, nj, or de???
  • twizard27twizard27 Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking to buy a 2004 V6 coupe. So far I have not found a great deal on one. One dealer is still charging $600 over invoice, abd they have a lot of '04s in stock. Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble getting a good deal?
  • 05mustanggt05mustanggt Member Posts: 7
    600 over invoice is not bad....if it was 600 over MSRP, thats a different story.

Here in the NW Milwaukee WI area there are plenty of 04s still left as well including the dealership 2 miles from me that has 3 Roush GTs

Has anyone bought a 05 GT in the SE Wisconsin or NE Illinois area? If so what did you pay?

I WILL be getting one (redfire Premium GT), but I will never pay MSRP or over!
    A-plan is what employee's and their families can buy new vehicles for although I have heard of dealers selling aplan to the public at years end. Don't really know how they do it though as you need a pin number.
    and xplan is roughly 4% above aplan
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Thanks Trucker50. What kind of discount is the A-plan?
  • rkooninrkoonin Member Posts: 1
    Anyone lease a GT 5spd w/ Interior Upgrade pkg.? If so, what are your monthly payments?
    sticker $31470.00
    invoice $27931.35
    x-plan $27865.32
    a-plan $26649.32....a-plan is I think 4% under invoice though I've never done the math, also tax and license is typically all you have to add as doc. fee's etc are waived. On certain vehicles you can sometimes get some of the holdback money back too but don't expect any off the Mustang,at least for a while
  • 05mustanggt05mustanggt Member Posts: 7
    I just came from the dealer where I pulled the trigger and ordered my premium redfire 5 speed GT. Got the interior upgrade package, side airbags, antitheft, and upgraded rims. Paid $1550 under MSRP. Very pleased overall.

Overall the experience was really good. They were pretty down to earth and were flexible on price. I would imagine though it helps that winter is fast approaching and I am located in the Milwaukee area.

They told me that I should be taking delivery in January...nothing more specific than that.
  • lokerolalokerola Member Posts: 3
    Hello. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences in buying an 05 GT in the DC Metro area, and could you recommend the dealership? I'm considering a GT, but after such a great experiance at Carmax, I'm dreading buying a car through a traditional dealer.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Try Koons Ford in Falls Church...I get my servicing done there on my Mustang, and they've always treated me right. Excellent customer service, though I haven't actually bought a car from them, so that might be different.
  • lokerolalokerola Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I'll check them out.
  • twizard27twizard27 Member Posts: 9
    Today I went shopping for a new '04 Mustang to see what deals are out there. I went to one dealer in the Orlando, FL area that had a gigantic clearance event with up to 50% off. As soon as I pull in and park, a salesman was right in my face. He almost opened the door for me. I don't know about everyone here, but when I go to a dealership, I would like to look around first and get a feel of what they have, then be approached.

So I find the car I like, and notice that they had an add on sticker, marking up the price by $900 over msrp. This is on the old '04 style Mustang. (BTW they wanted $3000 over msrp on the '05s)

The salesman gets the key, and the car has a dead battery. I mean this one would not turn over when they tried jumping it. The engine compartment was dirty...in fact I saw an '03 used one at another dealership that looked a lot cleaner.

So I find another Mustang that started up, and went for a test drive. That car drove ok and had no problems.

Now before they would talk price, they had to enter my info (they even wanted my social sec. #, which I did not give them) into their computer system as a tracking guide. And they had problem with that. So finaly after wasting a lot of time, they ushered me into a office and started pressuring me into buying the car using that old saying "What will it take you to but this car today?" I felt real uncomfortable at this point. So I gave them a real low price, and they laughed at me. It was still above their 50% off price. So I walked.

No wonder why they still have a large inventory of '04s left.
  • cumb7485cumb7485 Member Posts: 2
    There are some selling on ebay upwards of $35,000. What a rip off!! People are actually bidding on them too. I went to the dealership last Fri. to check them out,went back on Mon. with the intentions of driving off in my new GT and the dealer put a new sticker on saying "Adjusted Market Value"(as they wrote it)of $3,000. That brought a fully loaded GT up to $32,000 from the MSRP sticker of $29,000. Sounds like price gouging to me,but look at it as you will. I also noticed a sweet 2004 Roush stang they had on the lot. Test drove it. Liked it. Decided I wanted it and offered the dealer the MSRP sticker of $25,500 on the spot. He checked with the management and they wouldn't do it. On top of all of that the car also had 700 miles on it. He wouldn't go below $28,000 and said that price would stand firm until it's sold. Needless to say,I'm in negotiations with another dealer at the time.
  • carprof1carprof1 Member Posts: 5
    To find X-plan pricing on any Ford vehicle simply go to http://www2.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/AXZPlan.jsp?referrer=AXZ&- amp;PlanType=X&ReferrerURL=FordVehiclePrograms

You can search dealer inventory and get the price over the web. It's a fair price and eliminates haggling IF the dealer choses to honor the X-plan. Good luck.
  • texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    x-plan is determined by the ford motor company, not the dealer. it is usually about $100 below invoice. the dealer then receives a small kick back from ford for doing it. if theres a dealer out there that will take xplan, dplan, aplan, or zplan at this point, they're pretty freekin desperate. the dealer is never required to honor it.
  • gmadiagmadia Member Posts: 1
    For example on a Premium V-8 with an MSRP of $28,075 the X-plan price is $25,969.69.
  • cumb7485cumb7485 Member Posts: 2
    How does one go about getting an x-plan pin# and using it?
  • vandilvandil Member Posts: 4
    Just orderd my 05 GT for about 350 under invoice. Spent 2 weeks shopping every dealer S. of Eau Claire. Standard consumer rate, no X-plan available. You'll be fairly happy to note a dealer in West Bend had the best price I could find.

Dealer had a great internet office and was basically willing to meet/beat any dealer in the state for internet customers. I'd email before I walked in off the street.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Why are you people so "quick" to buy one of these cars? WAIT until next year when the 18" tire setup is available. It's absolutely ludicrous NOT to wait until this option is available. Who ever heard of a 17" tires on a sports car? Hell even my mothers Seville Cadillac has 17" tires. Ford is just playing games. Their new "teaser" (part 11) plan is forthcoming after the novelty in this car wears off. And the 18" tires setup will be just one of many new options available in the near future. PATIENCE is a virtue here.
    You're going to see alot of the mustangs picked up as daily drivers. With alot of DD purchases the ability to "wait" a year isn't there. If they're going to buy now anyway why not a mustang ?
  • golfnut7golfnut7 Member Posts: 34
    The calculation for the X plan is A plan plus 4% plus $150. I am looking at a '05 coupe for my daughter with a $23,240 MSRP, invoice of $21,580 and X plan price of approximately $21,500. Is it worth looking much further in hopes of saving anything more? This dealer it 2 miles from our house and thats worth something. From what I have seen, I might as well go ahead and pull the trigger rather than shop for a month and save $100.
  • texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    lets see.....buying the hottest selling car on the planet for below invoice..... i'm sure theres a dealer out there somewhere just waiting for the opportunity to take a loss on one, so go ahead and shop around.
    As if the dealer would actually tell you what he paid for the car by printing it out as Invoice. Or how many they need to sell yet that month for there volume discount. Listed invoice is about as real as the salesmans opening offer, it's a mirrored floor.

Not to mention they can drop that front end price through the floor if they make up the cash on the back end or trade in. More than one way to make money in the car business.

Like you said your never going to find one selling under "actual" cost. But selling under listed invoice is another matter. I seriously doubt you can find one on lot for that price but ordering one in that's another matter completely.
  • luggyluggy Member Posts: 3
    Went back and forth between two dealerships here in N.E. Wisconsin..Bergstrom in Neenah and Dorsch in Green Bay. Both were eager to get my business, however Dorsch came up with the best deal. I ordered the Premium package, V-8 5-speed manual tranny, with side air bags and upgraded interior and anti-theft system. Color is Legend Lime Metallic with Medium Parchment interior, white racing stripes. Dorsch discounted my car $200.00, dropped the stripe job from $799.00 down to $729.00 and threw in a 2 year/26 month maintenance free (drive and go) package. Before taxes I'm paying $27,206.00. This will be a cash deal. Car is not expected to arrive until middle of April/early May, which is fine because this car will NEVER see snow/salt. Dealer did say there was a delay in the manufacturing of the 'Stangs with the upgraded interior, they think it's a commodity problem Ford is having. Overall I was very impressed with the deal I received, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Bergstom in Neenah if the occassion ever arises again.
  • cgalencgalen Member Posts: 6
    I've looked at ford's own site at various dealers' prices, and the odd thing is that some identical cars at the same dealerships have a base MSRP for the 2005 V6 of 19,370, while another has an MSRP at 19,770. Same cars, same features, $400 difference.

Any ideas why? I called Ford' "customer car" line and they said it's all up to the dealer, even though it's clearly the "MANUFACTURER'S" suggested price.
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    I can't say for what other have reported from paying 1500 under msrp to 2500 over msrp, but in so. calif., these cars are not going for under msrp. I was lucky to get one $550 under because it was a promotion(one at this price stuff) other than that, I tried to get one not on promotion. The best I could do was sticker price. I guess it depends on where you live
  • scarletstangscarletstang Member Posts: 24
    I'm in NJ and if dealers here (Ace Ford, Woodbury) are not marking up above sticker, no one should be paying above and you can always order one as well. Remember all the dummies who paid thousands over invoice for VW Bugs when they came back out? They could have 3 now for the price they paid for one. However, if you want one now, you will pay sticker for it, or simply not get it.
  • sleeper41sleeper41 Member Posts: 5
    Horrible. I was looking for a GT. I visited Autoway in St Petersburg. They didn’t have one. I went to Brandon Ford, close to 35 miles away, they didn’t have an automatic (white or yellow) in stock. Brandon Ford wants a driver’s license and insurance certificate to take a test drive. Some dealers require a driver’s license. This is the first time I had to prove insurance. Yesterday I drove to Freedom, which is about 20 miles from my home. The grouchy, tired, old salesman who I met getting out of my car,told me “We don’t let anyone test drive the Mustang GT. We’re selling them for sticker”. He was grouse, so I left him standing there, went inside and met a younger, more pleasant salesman. He confirmed, “Management does not allow test drives on the Mustang GT”. He asked me “How serious a buyer are you”? This question put me off, but I told him, I’ve narrowed it down to the Mustang, but I was so serious, my five year old and I were headed to the Detroit Auto Show in a few days to decide for certain I wanted the Mustang. I asked him, “How do you expect to sell one if you won’t allow a test drive? He body language revealed he agreed with me and remarked “tell me about it”. I left in a disappointed huff and he followed me out and as I was in backing my car out, he stopped me and said, “Please, let me speak to management”. I told him I was turned off and I would go to another Ford dealer. I told him there were a lot of them. Next I went to Walker Ford, saw a few sales people standing around outside smoking (a real negative) and talking to each other, so I went inside. I walked around, looking at two Mustangs, none of the GT’s. I went to what I would describe as the sales booth in the corner, stood around outside of it and waited for someone to talk to. They were all in a discussion. No one asked me, so I went looking for a sales person in the various offices on the floor and hallways and saw no one. I returned to the parking lot, got in my car, and drove the parking lot, noticing they had no GT in stock, so I left.

This was my first visit to a Ford dealership in over 15 years. It is no wonder they have fallen so behind in sales. I told myself, I didn’t want a Mustang any longer. If this was an example of sales, what could service be like, I wondered. I sent a letter to Ford's HQ's (mail) and to the individual dealerships (via email). No response. Sad. I hope they choke on their inventory.
  • rcb1rcb1 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2001 Bullitt a COLLECTOR CAR as FORD sold it. I ended up paying about 4K over msrp due to the limited available so I thought. I was orginally told by the local dealers that no more than 2500 would be sold which ended up more around 6500. And within in weeks the veh was making regular trips to Ford. It spent the entire first summer I owned it in the shop. And they still could not fix the problems. And once they decided that they couldnt fix the veh after the 10th try that it was now my problem. So just think about this after shelling out almost 30K and spending over 1 1/2 years in court fighting over the repairs a sold the car now 2 years old for 50% of what was paid. The whole Ford Motor Company is unbelievable no matter how much I like the new Mustangs the reliability, dealer scams, and price gouging should not be ignored. Also if you do buy one make the dealer put in writing that your veh is not a FLEET CAR! Since according to Ford a $30,000 Mustang is considered a FLEET VEH which means that warrantee repair quality needs to be that of only a cab or rental car company!
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    I'm not sure where you got that idea, but Mustangs are treated the same as any other Ford vehicle when it comes to warranty work. I think it all depends on the dealership you deal with. Maybe I've been lucky, but my dealership is fantastic! I've never had an issue. They even wash and vac it when it goes in for oil changes.
  • jprojpro Member Posts: 1
    Just ordered an almost loaded V6(everything except leather and automatic)from Murphy Ford in Chester, PA. Sticker was 22k and some change, dealer discounted 1200 off MSRP. Very happy with my experience. First dealer I went to marked it up 2500 over sticker. I'd expect a car dealer to earn my money, not rob me of it. Looking at 4-6 week wait for the V6 models, they were telling me there is at least a 3 month wait for the GTs.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    It's always nice to hear of good experience. I stopped at a Ford store a week ago and was astonished that the V6 had a supplemental price sticker (adding $2000) due to "limited availability." It sure didn't seem like it - there was one inside and 4 right outside the door but no GTs.

Was in the showroom for about 20 minutes and never approached. Hard to figure - I'm 49 and there was a decided paucity of customers.

Went to another store that had a GT inside. Same story - $2000 mark-up. At least the salesman was anxious to show me the car.

While I understand supply and demand, it is hard to understand why dealers don't do more to promote positive customer relations - it's not as though the Mustang is a limited production vehicle.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Unfortunately, those who want to be the first on the block to own anything always end up paying more it seems. Be it a new video game system or a new model of a car, if you want to be the first on in your circle of friends to get it expect to get your pocket picked. Not so smart as far as I am concerned but a very established practice at many dealerships. I guess their idea is to get them while they can but ask the guys who did that with Mazda Miata, VW New Bugs, and PT Cruisers if it made them any friends in the car buying world. And they wonder why car salesman are thought so highly of!
  • tango3tango3 Member Posts: 2
    I think the Dealer made his profit on the stripes! $729 for $10 worth of tape-what a deal.
  • grandmasterbgrandmasterb Member Posts: 7
    I went into Power Ford in Huntington Beach because the 2005 Ford Mustang GT was top on my list for test drives to help determine my new car. I'm seriously buying a new car within the next few weeks and I wanted to narrow my decision down to one car. It is no longer between the '05 Mustang GT and Honda Accord EX V6. Let me explain.

I went into the dealership for a test drive and spoke with the salesperson. He said that I had to sign a contract binding me to a purchase before I could test drive. That pissed me off and I walked off the lot. After I calmed down, I came back and asked to speak to the General Sales Manager. He gave me the same (as well as additional) BS, and I quote: "We don't have any GTs in stock and if I did I wouldn't let you test drive it because customers want their cars at zero when they buy them."

I learned shortly later that he was lying through his teeth as the Ford web site shows this particular dealer has THREE Mustang GTs in stock!

Anyway, needless to say I will not give my money to Ford after that treatment. On the other hand, Honda World of Westminster has been incredible and has allowed me to test drive Civics and Accord V6s in order to help me make my decision. I can't wait to get my new Honda Accord EX V6 w/leather!

EDIT: I spoke to Customer Relations department (they were very helpful) and if this situation can be resolved, I'll be more than happy to get a Mustang GT once I'm able to test drive it.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Just because the Ford website says they have some in stock doesn't mean it's accurate. Mustang GTs are literally selling faster than Ford can make them right now. One of my local dealers told me that the lot life of a new Mustang GT is about 1 hour! They're practically being bought right off the trucks! And most often the car is sold before it even reaches the dealer. I still have yet to see a GT on that dealer's lot or showroom. I had to drive twenty-some-odd miles away just to see a GT. (On a side note, this dealer has two actual GTs, as in GT40, on it's floor. One belongs to NASCAR driver Matt Kenseth(sp?). It's a black one with silver stripes. The other one is a "corporate car," whatever that means. It's silver with black stripes. And there's $100K markup in it and people are buying. I would too, if I had the money.)

I took mine straight off the dealer's showroom floor! It hadn't even been fully prepped yet. Only had 4 miles on the odometer. They had another one on the lot that was a demo and selling at a $1K discount, but I still chose the one off the floor at sticker since it had never been test driven before (and cost me about $2K more [and that was without a dealer markup, thank God]). So he is telling the truth that we don't want any miles on them when we buy them. Though somebody did by that demo the following week with nearly 300 miles on it.

However, if the Accord EXV6 is your first choice, you will be happier having that even if you did get a chance to drive the Mustang GT. It's slightly less to buy and much less to insure. You will also be happier in not having to make as many trips to the gas pump. I would imagine that if you're even considering a V6 versus a V8, you don't really want the Mustang GT. You just want to drive one for kicks, because there is literally no comparison performance wise. When I was in my, seemingly endless, quest for another car, I didn't even consider anything less than a V8 (except the new RL which turned out to be a bit disappointing). I was tossing around the idea of trading my '02 300M Special for a V8 luxury car or keeping it and buying a Mustang GT (still wanted my luxury, but wanted some V8 guts and noise, too). I tested the Mercedes E500, E55 AMG (I know, right! But it's just ever so slightly out of reach at this time.), Audi A6 4.2, Acura RL, BMW 540i Sport (previous gen), and was going to test some others, but never got around to it. All offer V6s, but I didn't even entertain the thought of getting another V6. If that were the case, I could keep what I have, which sounds much better than those other V6s anyway. I had settled on the new Audi A6 4.2 (loaded). I had done all the negotiating, got an agreed upon selling price, and was all set to order it (for the second time, long story). I was going to be making the deposit on Monday (it was New Year's day), but I wanted to just go and hear the new Mustang GT. My mind was already made up and set that I was getting the A6. I turned the key on the Mustang GT and took one home that night!

It met exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't wanting smooth and refined, which is some of the reason I decided on the A6 4.2 vs. the E500. It is a little louder and a tad more rough. I wanted rough and loud. By "rough," I mean neck-snapping acceleration, not the smooth whoosh that the E500/E55 and A6 provide; though first gear in the A6 4.2 will throw you out the back of the car, spilling you onto the street if you're not holding on! =) Those cars do have some nice exhaust notes, but not like a Mustang GT. Another vehicle that sounds good is the VW Touareg V8 (another story). That thing sounds freakin' SWEET when you get on it!! And, boy, is it nice inside! But anyway...

2005 Mustang GT

Torch Red

Every option except auto tranny and spoiler delete.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Three weeks ago here in Columbus, OH, a local dealer was adding $2000 to the price of a V6 due to "limited availability."

Last weekend, a suburban store advertised them at $100 over invoice.
  • brandi20brandi20 Member Posts: 20
    i thought you couldnt get A-plan on a brand new mustang 2005???
  • stevensgal88stevensgal88 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my stang about 6 months ago and I love it. No regrets.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    My Windveil Blue V6 Premium is scheduled for build next week. I ordered the first week in Oct and have had lengthy material holds for the 5spd stick and the IUP option. My cost is at invoice price (after $500 rebate from AQHA). Hopefully it will arrive by end of March!
  • carprof1carprof1 Member Posts: 5
    A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Legend Lime V6 Mustang. I was able to buy it on the XPlan after checking with a couple of different dealers in Northern Virginia. The downside was limited availability primarily due to Ford underestimating the demand for the Interior Upgrade Package. Originally it was projected only 20% of the buyers would want it but the real demand was more like 80%. Ford had to work with the supplier to get more capability.

The dealers I talked to would not deal on the GT, some not on the V6 either.

I love the car. It is a steal even at list price. Not only do I enjoy the car but everywhere I go people come over to look at it and talk about Mustangs they used to have or wish they had. I've worked in product development for Ford Motor Company and as a car salesman at different times in my life. In both cases I drove a lot of different cars, some even prototypes. Few if any of these cars have created the excitment that the new Mustang generates. I'd certainly recommend one over any other sporty car.

The convertible is in extremely short supply and nearly impossible to find on at a dealer.

I think it will be enjoyable for a lot time to come!
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Carprof1 - Congrats to you on that Legend Lime coupe! It's a great color. Did you get the IUP?? or the Interior Sport Appearance package that doesnt have the Mycolor or the metal dash applique?? Or just the standard dash?? What color interior??