Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vistabluesvistablues Member Posts: 6
    hey spdwy33

How long did you have to wait to get your GT from your original order date? I have a GT convertible on order and it's taking forever!

Vistablues
  • spdwy33spdwy33 Member Posts: 21
    Expecting the 'ghost' to arrive in 13 days! (Lucky 13?)

But we were lucky. Our dealer already had a black GT convertible on order and they were able to change the color on that car for us. We did not get the side impact airbags that I wanted; but we should get it 24 days after signing the order!

Damned! Can't wait!

Good luck with yours!
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    Cookie, to answer your convertible question;
    I have an '05 GT convertible and I love it. There's nothing like the "topless" experience on a warm sunny day. Heck, I even dropped the ragtop on a couple 40 degree days in February and took a short drive with hat, gloves, and a heavy coat. You sure get some odd looks! :blush:

However, convertibles may not be for everyone. They are noisier than a hardtop even with the top up, and although the Mustang has excellent design to keep the wind rush out of the cabin at speed, once you get above 70 or so it gets to be quite "exhilarating". Also, when you leave a car with a cloth roof in a parking lot, everyone with a pocketknife has a "key" so you never want to leave anything visible in the cabin.
    Regardless of any shortcomings, I wouldn't trade it for the world (Unless I can figure out a way to afford a Shelby convertible!)

Good luck :shades:
  • zlskrszlskrs Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know of dealers in the northern NJ area who will sell a GT convertible at X-plan? Are you more likely to get X-plan pricing by buying off the lot or by ordering? Any insight would be appreciated.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ZLS....no hamr in asking a dealer to sell at X plan on an in-stock unit. What's the worst they can say? NO!

I would try it on the last day of the month when the dealership may be trying to make some quotas, though.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • david66david66 Member Posts: 2
    I live outside USA and want to buy 2 Mustang GT's. One 'triple black' convertible auto and one Black coupe, stick shift (unfortunately one is for a friend - I can't afford two!). Both leather trim with 18" wheels.
    Have had prices from WA dealers and they only offer a few hundred below window price on a 2 car deal.

As I'm outside USA, I don't care where the dealer is located, but West Coast is easier for me. I need a dealer I can trust, as I've heard horror stories of wrong color/options etc when the car is delivered, buy which time it is too late as I have to pay before shipment overseas.
    I would also like the best price I can, but they aren't very negotiable.
    Would it be best to wait until 07 model, or is the difference minimal?
    Does anyone know of any second hand 05's or 06's?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Great forum.
    david....you've got a double "whammy". First, Spring is just about here and that's when these cars sell the best. So, it's going to be tough going to get a "great" deal on any GTs....particularly convertibles.

Used ones are still being advertised around me (midwest) for their original MSRP stickers. I'm certain that they can be bought for less than that price since they're used, but that should give you an indication about how "hot" these cars are in the marketplace.

You're 2nd issue is you are trying to negotiate the price from outside the country. I don't know how many dealers are going to be willing to negotiate without you being present, in their showroom, with checkbook in hand.

Good luck!
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    There is absolutely no reason why you cannot completely negotiate buying a car via email in todays electronic world. Except for a dealer who does not offer internet buying.

If they want your business you can do it, whether you can get the deal you want is a different matter.

Have you tried FordofKirland.com they have 6 GT convertibles in stock and at least 10 Gt coupes and of late were offering a coupe GT near invoice.
  • david66david66 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. I will be in USA in April and again in June, so will find the 'most co-operative' dealer on the net, then make a visit, check book in hnad!
    I'll be in Los Angeles and salt Lake in April and Wisconsin in June, so anyone who has expereince with dealers in those areas your input would be appreciated. Thanks again.
    I've always been able to strike a better deal by being in the showroom, with checkbook in hand, than the internet quotes I've received.
  • gslamsgslams Member Posts: 6
    I have the following offer from a dealer.
    06 GT coupe (5sp manual) premium pkg, options: 18" polished Al wheels , IUP , active anti theft system, wheel locks, if factory ordered sometime this week expected to get it in 8 weeks.
    MSRP:28,670
    quote:27000
    no quote on title and doc fees yet.

anybody think this is a good deal or are there people who are getting better offers now. any input will be appreciated.
    Hard to tell if it's a good deal or not. Trade? And, as you say, until we find out what the other fees are, we really don't know if it's a good deal or not.

I will say, that it's probably easier to get a better deal on an ordered car (no real effort on the dealer's part except for placing the order) that it will be on an in-stock unit (which they are already paying floor plan costs).
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    invoice is $26,327.

also look and around and see if you can find one on the lot that has been sitting around for awhile. They may be itching to cut a deal to unload it.
  • dummy2dummy2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Newbie here. 2 questions:

1. Does your 'price I paid' include the destination fee?
    2. If you got your car with Ford X plan, can you post the price you paid(along with MSRP and the options in the car)

Thanks.
  • topoffgttopoffgt Member Posts: 14
    dummy2-

1. Destination fee (at least in my area) is $720 on a 2006 Mustang. The "price paid" depends on how the contract is written, but I doubt any dealers are willing to absorb the cost of delivery.

2. I just bought a 2006 Mustang GT Premium with a 5 speed manual trans yesterday for X plan price. X plan pricing is 4% over employee pricing plus $150. The price I paid was about $50 below invoice plus $330 for sales tax and tag transfer.

I went into two dealerships in my area and told them I wanted a Performance White GT convertible with a manual trans, parchment interior, parchment top, interior upgrade pkg, side airbags, active anti-theft, and conv soft boot. From doing dealer inventory searches on-line, I knew a dealer in the Atlanta area was supposed to have one in stock.

My first salesman said they could buy it from the Atlanta dealership and honor the X plan price, but he wanted to charge me another $400 to have it picked up. I went down the road to a different Ford dealership. Turns out the Atlanta Mustang was not in stock yet. My second salesman found another GT conv. in Alabama with the colors/options I want. He agreed to honor the X plan price and have the car picked up without charging me a dime! It should arrive by late Monday, and I am going to pick it up Tuesday afternoon.

Considering Spring is just starting and how hard it is to find a white GT conv. w/ a manual trans, I feel really good about the deal I got.

I hope this info is helpful!
    That does sound like a good deal. Unfortunately here in new england it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a GT with manual transmission, I have serached nearly 30 delearships without finding one. This area is full of automatics. The only way of getting a standard seems to be ordering one and that too takes about 12 weeks now!
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    12 weeks is worth the wait.

Automatic is definitely not the same car.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    I agree with that because I have had an auto gt in the past, this one 06 GT feel like you are the pilot not just a driver. You feel every ounce of torque through your figertips and both feet!
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    Did you try NH? There's a dealer in Portsmouth that had 3 GT conv & 1 hardtop on lot (don't know if have manual transmission).
  • husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    After trying to locate an existing Vista Blue, Parchment, 5sp manual, convertable GT, I finally just bit the bullet and ordered one. After shopping from multiple dealers, was able to get one to order mine for a few bucks over invoice. There are plenty of automatics, black and red colors, but no Vista blues in parchment conv. 5sp available any where within 900 miles of St. Paul, MN. Initially my priority code was 40, but the dealer is elevating it to 10. Will keep you posted on my progress. Any recent expereince out there on how long it has taken from order date to receipt on a similiar Mustang?
    hey husker5,
    I too have been wanting a vista blue GT, convertible (charcoal top), 5 speed. Ordering from a small dealership in WI in October 2005, I was told it would be 6 months for a GT. My dealer now tells me I should see my car in 6 to 8 weeks, but no VIN yet. This dealer is also my friend so I believe it is going to happen, but he is still saying Ford is quoting a 6 month wait for GT's. If anyone has heard differently, let me know.

Vistablues
    hey Vistablues,
    This has got me worried. While my dealer hasn't promised anything, he said it has been taking 2-3 months, not 6 months to get one on order. It is possible since this is a larger dealer in a larger city (Twin Cities) he might get higher priority, but I have no assurance when I will see this car. The dealer assured me he was going to keep looking for an existing ones as they are being received by other dealers and try to trade for one, but now your experience has me worried.
  • cvineyardcvineyard Member Posts: 1
    You might keep on the dealer. There isn't much incentive to keep looking for one from another dealer if he has any of your money. I just purchased a GT convertible 5-speed MSRP $32,650 for $2,000 off. No additional add ons except tax and license. They found one at another dealer so keep the pressure on! Good luck.
  • btorlvbtorlv Member Posts: 16
    ca has a lot of 5sp gts. mine is an 06 gt/conv 5 sp inter upgrade with red seat up grade and boot/cover. msrp 32.660 i paid 2999.99 that was 250 below in voice. Shop hard there out there. Invoice price was 30.257.89 keep in mind tha edmunds in voice was about 330 more then fords. I went to 5 different dealerships to order and all 5 had the same ford invoice price. the difference was a fed tax and factory prep(gas) to calif. Edmunds zip code entry did not correct for this. After looking at 5 different in voices I believe that was the truth but who really knows. barry
  • quadzilla200quadzilla200 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are looking at possibly buying our first Mustang. We went to the largest dealer in the state and were surprised to find a few 2005 convertibles left. After reading this I saw that wasn't that unusual. I have a couple questions
    1) Has anybody seen a 2005 GT Convertible leftover. All we see are V6's.
    2) In terms of price this is how they are showing us it is priced.
    Sticker for V6 Prem Auto $29,490
    They are saying they will give us the x plan price off of that and also are saying the all of the 2005's have a $3,000 rebate. Is there really a rebate on these leftovers? That puts it at around $24,000.
    The one thing I'm contemplating, and might be wrong, but since this is a 2005 and we're halfway through the 2006 model year, how much of that $3000 rebate would be market loss when we sell in the future?
    Sorry, but I have one more important question. My wife is sold on the v6, but the guy in me wants to go after the GT. How much difference is there in fun factor? I will say this V6 they are trying to sell us has dual exhaust put on it already. Thanks in advance.
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    what would be a normal deposit for a 2005 mustang?
    Quadzilla200-

IMO, get the GT! My 2006 GT convertible with 5sp. manual is a blast to drive. My wife loves it, too. Our car insurance is through State Farm, and I was surprised to find that my new premium is only $42 a year more than the 2004 Pacifica we are replacing (we both have clean driving records). Gas will cost more, but the powerful engine and awesome exhaust note are well worth it.

We got ours for X-plan price, which was a little under $31k plus tax. At best, the $3k off on a 2005 V6 conv. will only cover the depreciation as you stated. Also, I've read reviews that say the V6 vibrates and sometimes has shifting problems with the automatic.

I doubt you will find a new 2005 GT conv. anywhere. Shop around for a 2006 and be patient. Figure out what options you MUST have, and get the dealers to do a search for you. My dealer in SC found the car I wanted 500 miles away in AL. I got them to have the car brought back to my dealership for no extra charge, and still got the X-plan price.

Take your wife out to dinner and a movie, do all of the "honeydoos" on her list, and then BEG her to get the GT!
    Let us know how it works out. ;)
    All we see are V6's.

That's because they suck. :shades:
    GREAT NEWS! Just found out my Mustang GT 5speed convert is being built this week!!! Delivery is set for April 20. Can't wait! Ordered in Oct.

Vistablues
    Hey Vistablues, great news about your stang!! I just found out I got a VIN assigned, which should mean mine will be scheduled for production in about 3-4 weeks. Not bad since I ordered exactly 13 days ago. There is a site on the Blue Oval forum that will track your production if you give your VIN - if your dealer doesn't level with you. Hopefully I'll have my vista blue vert not long after you. What part of Wisconsin do you live? I have a cabin in Burnette county, so if you are up that way this summer, look for me in my vista blue stang with the top down.
    Husker5
    quadzilla200 -
    consider the following before choosing between a GT and a v6
    1) The v6 convertible and GT coupe will probably be around the same pricing. So if you want a car which your wife can also drive and if you drive more in the city then go for a v6 convertible with automatic transmission. Also you can save on fuel by choosing the v6.
    2) GT means more HP and much more fun to drive car. Also it is more of a enthusiast car. IMO GT with manual transmission is a BLAST to drive and you JUST CANNOT compare it to a v6.
    3) if you can afford one go for the GT manual convertible!!
    4) Also go for the 06 models only because delaers are already taking in orders for 07 in April. I have heard of people on mustang forums getting GT convertibles at invoice which is around 30K depending on options.
    5) I do not want mail bashing but I have test driven the v6 autos and they are just not a sports coupe/convertible.
    They are good looking cars period. A celica or a RSX has better performance than these because they haul much less weight for the same HP and torque.
  • sanddunesanddune Member Posts: 1
    On Ford's website there is a locator section that will find your selection around the zip code you enter.

There were some '05 gt v8 verts in So Cal when I checked today, not many though.
    I may be in the minority, but I think the coupe is a much better looking car than the convertible -- the lines are better because the fastback roof is inseparable from the design of the car, the overall look. :shades:
    pony pirate-

I like them both. There are not too many ragtops that look great with the top up compared to the hardtop. IMO, the trade-off for open-air motoring is well worth it.
  • rmackowskyrmackowsky Member Posts: 19
    Totally agree - that's why I bought the coupe. It was ridiculous how many people, upon finding out I'm buying a Mustang, asked "did you get the convertible"? You're right, I think we're in the monority, but that's fine with me.
    Yup, have had the same reaction. People seem to fantasize the red convertible when they imagine this car (how obvious). I got silver exterior, charcoal leather interior: looks tough, of a piece. :shades:
  • samsam22samsam22 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me. I ruined my only car last week and there is a 95 ford mustang V6 for sale for 2400. 150k, looks excellent in and out - head gasket replaced at 130K. I know nothing about these cars and am looking for something safe for local commute and that will last me awhile. Thanks again!
    For basic reliable economic transportation I'd get a Japanese car, a Civic, Corolla, etc., not a Mustang. Mustangs don't have the best maintenance records -- check out Consumer Reports for used car histories. You can also correlate Blue Book prices (available online and in most libraries) with your price range, narrowing down the selection.

No car with 150k miles on it won't have some problems somewhere.

I'd recommend the $50-100 or so it will cost to have a mechanic check it out before you sign the dotted line. Things that wear out: battery, brakes, brake cylinder, belts, suspension, generator, water pump, air conditioning compressor, hoses, tires, carburator, suspension, clutch/transmission (clutch and automatic transmission repairs are expensive). Make sure it doesn't burn oil and has adequate compression (once a car loses compression it means serious internal problems, basically, a dying enging). Don't mean to be sexist, but if you can bring along a guy who knows cars, it couldn't hurt.

Brakes and tires are especially important if you're going to put kid(s) in the car -- don't cut any corners there.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    They do suck. The 2005/2006 V6 Mustangs have a lot of problems. So do the 2005/2006 Mustang GT's.
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    Obviously, you have issues with the new Mustang. But what I don't understand is, why? You don't even own one.

I believe it was mentioned previous in this forum, that if you take all the complaints they'd you'd be lucky if it was 3-5% of all post. And of those posts, the majority were able to be resolved via TSB's that have come out. So the reality is there's probably 1-2% of all posts that are having continued problems. I'd doubt that's any worse than any Mustang year and probably far better than most.

As far as looks, you seem little off base if ask me. You indicated that the 00-04 was the best styling since the 69-70. Well isn't it ironic that the 05-06 happen to be closer in styling to those years than any Mustang since (this is backed by virtually any write up on the new Mustang in any of the trade mags). Further if it's such a dud in styling, how is it that sales have far surpassed any previous years Mustang sales? You comments don't seem to hold water.

I have an 05 GT vert and have had it since last June, thus far I've had total of zero(0)problems since had it. Maybe I'm lucky, but I doubt it. Nature of people is that they'll complain about what's wrong and say virtually little about things that are right.

I've had lots of cars over the years, however, none were considered sports cars. The funny thing is that the whole thing that got me excited about the new Mustang and wanting one was it reminded me so much of the 68-69 Mustang. Yet, is was updated (particularly the ride). If wanted to have something that looked just like a 69, then I'd buy a 69, otherwise I would hope a current car wouldn't look the same as something of 35+ years ago. I wouldn't say the prototype of potential Camaro is exactly like Camaro of old either.
    Quote:
    "As far as looks, you seem little off base if ask me. You indicated that the 00-04 was the best styling since the 69-70. Well isn't it ironic that the 05-06 happen to be closer in styling to those years than any Mustang since (this is backed by virtually any write up on the new Mustang in any of the trade mags). Further if it's such a dud in styling, how is it that sales have far surpassed any previous years Mustang sales? You comments don't seem to hold water."

"ONLY" the 2005/2006 Mustang's rear facia looks like the 69 & 70 Mustang, but the rear quarter panels are too flat. They don't even resemble the 69 & 70 Mustang styling. And the front facia of the 2005/2006 Mustang looks like the 67 & 68 Mustang.
    The 99-04 Mustang has wider rear quarter panels that resemble the 69 & 70 Mustang and the rear facia has a more 69 is and 70ish look to it than the 2005/2006 Mustang. The only thing which doesn't resemble the 69/70 Mustang is the front facia. But the hood on the 2001-2004 Mustang GT resembles the 69 & 70 Mustang a little bit. The 2005/2006 Mustang doesn't even have a hood scoop and it neither has any side scoops. The 2005/2006 Mustang is not ugly, but it's not as agressive looking as the 2001-2004 body style. I don't know about you, but when I look at the 2001-2004 Mustang body style and compare it to the 2005/2006 Mustang body style, I see many differences if I compare both body styles with the 69 & 70 body style. The 2001-2004 body style resembles the 69 & 70 Mustang fastback body styling than the 2005/2006 does.
    Look carefully and compare the 2 body styles and you will see what I mean here.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    That is what this forum is all about... The title says it all..

So, please move on to the general Ford Mustang (2005+) forum to discuss any other issues..

Thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• pumppump Member Posts: 2
    Question from a rookie.

Can one just walk into a dealer and aske for the x plan, or does one have to be e friend or relative of a Ford employee to get it?

Thanks
  • boogiedownboogiedown Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 V6 Mustang which my partner drives and does not have alot of get up and go but I believe it's because of how it was broken in which was driving it slow. I had a 1998 V6 Mustang that I broker in and it had all the power I really wanted. I am currently looking at buying a 2006 Premium Mustang in VA, automatic, no leather seats, pony package, interior upgrade package, anti-lock brakes, front seat side mounted airbags, anti-theft system, and shaker 500 audio system and I've gotten pricing for under $24,000. I've gotten all my pricing via the internet. I have bought my last two vehicles without going to the dealership except to pick-up the vehicle.
  • jclfjclf Member Posts: 3
    that deal for 24k doesn't sound all that great. I was quoted the same exact package for just under 22k. I was at the dealership though.
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    The X Plan is for "Ford Partners" only. You have to work for a company which is on that list.

For Fords, the price is usually a bit under invoice.

The prices for Mazdas, Volvos, etc is usually between invoice and MSRP.
    pump-

My employer uses several Ford vehicles in their fleet, so they are a "partner". X-plan pricing requires proof of employment with the partner company and a unique PIN which sometimes can be requested on-line. My GT convertible was about $50 under invoice.

Also, no dealership is required to honor the X-plan price.
    Mustang manual GT's are still being snatched up off my local dealer's lot, gone within the week.
  • spdwy33spdwy33 Member Posts: 21
    Took delivery of our silver GT convertible last Monday and still can't get that silly grin off my face!

Absolutely stunning to look at - and a real blast to drive! (For the most part we've just been loafing at the speed limit - ok, maybe just a little over the limit!)

Could not believe how easy it was to buy it - and how much fun it was to take delivery. Forum rules won't let me post names of salespeople or phone numbers; but I can tell you that Roberts Ford in Alton, IL is a damn fine place to buy a car!

No pressure - called them up, told them what we wanted and they changed the color of one that was on order - took about three phone calls and it was a 'done deal'. Fast, easy deal - very competitive pricing, no long - drawn out 'negotiation', excellent price for our old car.

Highly recommended!
    That's great to hear. I can't wait until the new body style Mustang comes out. I want one. I already own a 2001 Mustang GT and a 2002 V6 Mustang. I like the 05 & 06 Mustang, but I like my 01 & 02 body style a little better than the 05 & 06 body styles.
    I want to wait until 2009 when the new 2010 new body style Mustang comes out. I think that it might look a whole lot better than the 05's & 06's.