Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Go to Ford's website and check dealer inventories in your area. You can see options, prices, and incentives. Figure your price, at maximum, as invoice minus incentives. Their "invoice" numbers include ad fees which you may well not be charged for - compare the numbers with those on this site.

Also be sure to check to see what kind of financing Ford is offering - the interest rate can make a huge difference in payments.
  • rsmith5rsmith5 Member Posts: 9
    Your minimum requirements generate a MSRP (including destination) of about $23,275. I see ads in the Houston area advertising V6's at $5000 off MSRP. Adding TX sales tax of 6.25% plus title and tag should still get a 2006 out the door in this part of the country for slightly under $20,000. Follow the above post's suggestion to use Ford's view of your local dealer's 2006's inventory, find a black V6 premium with a MSRP of under $24,000 and click on 'get an internet price'. The 2006s will have at least the $1500 advantage over the 2007s due to the rebate. Add your local tax, title, license to see how close they can get before you go to the dealer. Refuse dealer installed options like a security system at an inflated price that can jack up the price. Know your financing alternatives at your credit union beforehand. Good luck.
    Bad experience at Gullo Ford in Conroe, TX. Yes, the mailed advertisement sounded too good to be true, but when I called and spoke to a salesman there and questioned the stated rebate of $3500, he said it was new and to come on in and they would get as close to the advertised deal as possible on another unit. I realize that the saleman did not write the ad, but he could check it out instead of using it to get me in the door. His manager was no better saying the referenced stock number was a pickup. This was another example of why you should insist on a stock number that you can verify with Ford's inventory of what is supposed to be in stock before you go to Gullo Ford Conroe. Fool me once....
    The Champion Ford salesguy was supposed to call me yesterday but I have yet to hear from him and, apparently, won't - no real surprise. Fortunately, I've found someone local who seems good.
    Thanks for the update. I will remember that when we get his survey.
  • mirandaraemirandarae Member Posts: 2
    So, Unfortunatly im being rushed into getting my mustang since the color I want is discontinued. But I still found one that I like.

I am getting it from fritts ford in Riverside Ca.

2007 Ford Mustang
    V6 Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
    What Others
    Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price
    A note about advertising fees $20,175 $18,737 $19,360
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code Change - - $240
    Optional Equipment $3,160 $2,750 $2,996
    44L 5-Speed Automatic Transmission $995 $866 $943
    552 Anti-Lock Braking System w/Traction Control $775 $674 $735
    54P V6 Pony Package $750 $653 $711
    18M Sport Appearance Package w/Color Accent (Automatic) $345 $300 $327
    54V Exterior Sport Appearance Package $295 $257 $280
    Color Adjustment - - $0
    Not Sure
    Destination Charge $745 $745 $745
    Total with Options $24,080 $22,232 $23,341

^^^ options using TMV.

I am paying 23,725 + Fees which also include a fee because Im having to get the car sent in from another dealership in beverly hills.

Sound about right?

:confuse: :confuse:
    I started out to buy a stick shift coupe but Ford's current zero interest promotion caused their supply to quickly shrink and my dealer was unable to trade for one.

This week the search ended with the purchase of an '06 GT convertible. Here's the numbers:

MSRP - $35,030 (Torch Red with Parchment interior and top and equipped with automatic, side air bags, IUP, alarm, boot cover, and 18 inch polished wheels).

Purchase price - $32,530 plus $250 doc fee. Included were several accessories (all weather mats, chrome exhaust tips, '07 plenum cover, and touch up paint) worth about $250. Took the zero percent financing in lieu of the $1500 rebate.

Quotes from three Ohio dealers were close (low was $32,321 and high was $32,530). However the highest price was way more than offset by a higher trade allowance and the actual bottom line difference was about $850.

I would not hesitate to recommend the selling dealer - Dick Masheter Ford in Columbus - to anyone. They believe in no bull and no pressure and were truly delightful to buy from.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I bought a 2006 Redfire GT Premium on 8/24, the first day of the 0%. Wow! What an awesome car!

Black leather interior
    IUP - satin silver
    18" "Fanblade" wheels
    Shaker1000
    Side air bags
    Wheel locks
    Active alarm system
    Manual transmission

Sticker - $30,345
    X-Plan price - $28,064

$411 per month after 0% for 72 months and TTL (no other fees are charged with X-Plan).

I originally planned on ordering an '07 in March but this deal saved me about $140 per month assuming Ford doesn't offer 0% or some large rebate on an '07 Mustang in March. I highly doubt that will happen. Plus I got a couple of options I wouldn't have ordered due to price so I'm a very, very happy new Mustang owner! It's my first one and I've been waiting a long, long time for it. :D
  • mustangstevemustangsteve Member Posts: 2
    paid $400 over invoice on the first day of the 0.0 promotion. Vista Blue with charcoal leather interior, included top boot, chrome tips, side bags, security system and 18 inch alloys. I too had planned on ordering an 07 as I had three dealers that would order one for me at invoice price but the financing tipped me back to the 06. It feels so nice to be back into a car with some muscle and attitude again after too many years driving SUV's !
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    Here in MA, I've seen base stangs for $16.5k or less. They're asking more for Civics!! That's an amazing deal. :blush:
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    16.5 is way under invoice and there is only a 500 rebate on 07s.

would have to be an 06, there is 2k in rebates on a 06.

Oh and if you found a dealer that had more than one or two to pick from, you probably don't want to buy from that dealer.

Mark.
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    "Oh and if you found a dealer that had more than one or two to pick from, you probably don't want to buy from that dealer. "

:surprise:
    I can't think of a single reason why the above statement would be true...but I'm always willing to learn.

Please explain.
    Most dealers in the NY/Boston region are out of 06 Mustangs since August.

If you see a dealer that has alot of these on the lot, there may be a reason why no one is buying from that dealer.

Out of the 300 dealers closest to me, no dealer is showing more than 6 06 Mustangs of all kinds in their inventory.

Mark.
    Most dealers in the NY/Boston region are out of 06 Mustangs since August.

If you see a dealer that has alot of these on the lot, there may be a reason why no one is buying from that dealer.

Out of the 300 dealers closest to me, no dealer is showing more than 6 06 Mustangs of all kinds in their inventory.

If it is an 06, it mostly has been sitting on a lot for 6 months or more.

Do you really want to purchase as new a vehicle that was sitting on someones lot that long?

Mark.
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Mark -

Re: "Do you really want to purchase as new a vehicle that was sitting on someones lot that long?"

That's a different question than buying a leftover car from a particular dealer, don't you agree?

In the end, the dealer is merely a conduit through which you purchase the car. Post-sale, it just doesn't matter what dealer sold it, since it's backed by the manufacturer, not a particular dealer.

All IMHO.
  • droldsdrolds Member Posts: 4
    and begin accepting 08 orders?? I am considering either a premium GT Convertible or possibly a 08' Shelby, I wonder outloud what kind of production numbers they will produce in 08', anyway......thanks for reading and I hope someone knows the dates.
  • u04601u04601 Member Posts: 5
    I went shopping the day before Thanksgiving and test drove a 2007 V6 Mustang. I went buying the day after Thanksgiving and test drove a 2006 GT. Bought the GT for the wife's 50th Bday. The MSRP was $28,875 for the GT Premium with Auto Trans, Interior Upgrade, and Front Seat Side Air Bags. I paid the price that the car was advertised in the newspaper for, $20,488 plus tax and license from Ken Grody Ford of Buena Park, California. Great experience until I got to the Finance office. Make sure that you know what you want and don't ever be afraid to tell them NO when they try to up-sell you on all of the extras.

Kevin
  • rsmith8rsmith8 Member Posts: 47
    This is by far the best discounted price for a new 2006 GT Premium Mustang that I have seen. Was the dealer still including the extended warranty like they were in August? Hopefully, you got a color that your wife liked. You are right regarding the pressure to buy over priced dealer add-ons like an alarm system or not competitive interest rate financing. I know it is hard to buy an advertised special as they are usually gone by the time you get there. Watch the newspaper ads to see if the dealer continues to advertise this particular stock number/price for a week or more.
  • u04601u04601 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the extended warranty, 5 years 60000 miles for the drivetrain, was included. The Silver Clearcoat Metalic was exactly the color that she had picked out. I did check the next weeks ad and they did not list this VIN in the new ad. I think that buying it so late in the year was the reason for the big discount. There was dealer cash and FMCC cash. I refused to add the paint and carpet protection and the security VIN etching. I did, however, buy the additional ESP extended warranty coverage for 6 year 75000 mile bumper to bumper coverage. It is an extra that is worth the expenditure for the peace of mind. Who can work on their own car now-a-days?

Kevin :shades:
  • omartinez68omartinez68 Member Posts: 1
    I just built and paid 24,750 for a 2007 v6 convertible with all the creature comforts.

i was curious about the heated seats? do they make a difference? i've never owned a car with them, but when i talk to people with them, they all recommend it, especially with leather seats.

any suggestions if i should keep them or not?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Regarding heated seats. I am in NY so it's only a few months of the year I use them, but I would not own a car without them ever again. It's hard to explain, but once you have them they will be mandatory from then on.

JR
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    I had them, now I don't and I don't miss them. I wouldln't pay extra for them. Depends are where you live I guess.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Saw a Ford TV ad for the Mustang GT ... $2500 off MSRP (if you can believe what you see on TV) :shades:
  • zackcamzackcam Member Posts: 8
    The Houston, TX area is very willing to let v6 Mustangs go for very low prices. I'd rather not state exact numbers since it could hurt the integrity of my company.

Zachary Cam
  • legion456legion456 Member Posts: 2
    HI all. I want to purchase a TorchRed GT/CS sometime between Now and May5th (my wifes birthday), .. so I have some months to look for the best deal. Now, Ford has $1000 rebate, ... and my question is, does anyone know what "deals" might be coming from Ford between now and May? (ie should I buy NOW? or wait a while?)

Also, .. I'll have an X-Plan to use when buying, but would like to know which "ways" the finance office will try and add money to the "deal", so I can be ready. Or maybe there's a website that discusses this?

thanks in advance for your replies! Happy Holidays!
    Legion
    You'll have to wait longer than May if you want a Torch Red GT/CS since Ford does not offer that combination during the 2007 model year.
  • legion456legion456 Member Posts: 2
    Really? :( I can't even imagine why they wouldn't ofer tat combo.

Legion
    If you want an '07 California Special, it'll have to be Vista Blue, Performance White, Black, or Redfire.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Actually one of the benefits of using X plan is the dealer isn't allowed to add any fees of any kind, so you don't have to worry about that.

Just say no to any dealer add-ons that they try to sell you (paint protection, etc.) because even if you wanted it you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

As for financing, I always do my own through the credit union. I would arrange for your own financing ahead of time, then you can compare it to what the dealer is offering. You can take the Ford financing if it includes bonus cash, wait a couple of months and refinance it on your own.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    What is the incentive for a dealer to honor an X Plan pricing?
    Ford pays the dealer an X-plan commission. Its a different amount for each vehicle and allows the dealer to make a small profit on an X-plan sale.

X-plan is the highest price the dealer can charge, NOT the lowest!

If you try, you can probably get better than X-plan on some models...Explorers, F series, etc.

Mark.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    $2500 discount on GT is real. Newspaper ads are full of 'em. Consider yourself lucky if you're in the market. I paid MSRP Aug. '05 and was glad to do so! :shades:
    Several Houston area Ford dealers are advertising 2007 GTs at $4000+ off MSRP. Ads for leftover 2006s have pretty much dried up.
  • coolmarine24coolmarine24 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I just love Mustangs and I am ready to get a 2007 GT/MT. My question is, what is the best time of the year to get one? does anyone know if right now there are any great deals or incentives?? I am in the NY Long Island area..also how can i get the X-plan? I do not have friends or family that work for ford...is this the only way to be able to get the x plan?? Thanks to all for all the very valuable info in here!
  • xlayedoutxxlayedoutx Member Posts: 4
    Well I've got a credit card that i'm trying to get paid off by Labor day so I can hit the sale i'm HOPING my local dealership (Future Ford of Clovis CA) will have. Last year they offered 0 percent interest for 72 months on $25,000 on all 2006 models starting the last week of AUG and running until Labor day. I'm hoping they will have this same sale this year for their 07 models.

1st question--- Those of you that hit up the 0 percent interest offer last year, did they ask for a down payment and if so how much? I have great credit (somewhere around 770)but i'm hoping to get away without a down since all my extra money is going towards getting the credit card paid off.

2nd question--- Here is what i'm looking for and you tell me if you think it can happen.
    2007 Premium 6cyl
    Automatic
    Interior upgrade package
    17" wheel upgrade
    Leather heated seats
    Anti theft system
    I'm looking to stay under $25,000 total with taxes (7.875) so that I can keep my payment around $350 a month. What do you guys think?
    They didn't need a down payment when I bought my '06 GT convertible during that event.

However, the odds of Ford ever again running such a promotion are somewhere between slim and none. It was remarkable in two respects - 0% for 72 (not 60 months) for ANY credit tier, an unprecedented offer. And it did exactly what Ford wanted in clearing their lots of excess inventory.

Sorry, can't help with prospective pricing.
  • xlayedoutxxlayedoutx Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. I figured it was a sale that they do every year to make room for their new inventory. Hopefully with my credit I can talk them into the same deal. The car salesmen in my area talk the talk and act like they can't budge on price when you first get there, but after they throw the first offer out and you say your going to shop around a little they start doing whatever they need to do to make a sale. I had a guy last year offer me the car for the weekend just to see if I liked it, even though I told him up front I wasn't buying I just wanted to see what I could get approved for.
  • sharon06gtsharon06gt Member Posts: 1
    i was wondering if any of you who have bought the 06 mustang GT have heard from your dealers. we bought ours in april of last year and today we recieved a letter from the dealer asking to buy it back, above MSRP.
  • bminerbminer Member Posts: 4
    Buy it back? or offer you msrp on trade-in?
    There is a preowned 06 Mustang GT on my lot going for $25.9k its stick with 2,000 miles. this isn't an attempt to solicite.
  • grumblesdclowngrumblesdclown Member Posts: 20
    I "built" a GT on Ford's website and it has a $34,250 MSRP. After looking on the website inventory and dealer lots in the area, I don't think I'll get what I want without ordering it (e.g., I really want to delete the rear spoiler but I never see one without it). Any ideas on a reasonable OTD price range? Any tips for special order negotiating? Btw, DE tax is 2.75% and paperwork's roughly $100. Thanks for any and all help.
    the Spoiler is "standard" but it you can order one "spoiler delete"

Sticks are commanding a premium, maybe $700 to $1000 off of sticker. Autos are probably going for around $500 to $750 over invoice.

The one on my lot has no spoiler, so they are out there.

Mark.
    If it's a special order, why would a manual trans command a premium? Does Ford restrict the number of manual transmission cars it'll build? I know I'll probably have to order the car to get my desired color scheme with spoiler delete and other "must haves" (including manual trans). Bottom line, if the invoice on Ford's website states $32,000 and offers a $1000 rebate, would $32,500 OTD be realistic? It seems like easy money for the dealer but maybe I'm missing something.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    If they're now selling for $500 over invoice what's the time lag between ordering a Mustang GT automatic and the actual delivery?
    Part of the profit Ford looks to make on the car is in the auto trans. There is also a limit to what Tremec can supply.

The 18 inch wheels are even more limited.

You can call around and ask dealers now much over invoice they are willing to place an order for.

Make sure that the dealer actually has allocation or the car will never get scheduled. Also, make sure that the dealer gives it a priority of 10 which is the highest priority.

Mark.
    Mark - Thanks for your help.

Any idea of the lead time? I'm guessing 6-8 weeks. Do you think it makes a difference whether I order in mid-Feb or late March? I'd rather order in March, but I'd move it up if it's worthwhile.
    its probably at least 8 weeks for a Manual tranny. The key is to make sure you order from a dealer WITH allocation. If the dealer does not have allocation the car will never get built.

If you want 18 inch wheels, it might even be a longer wait. Dealers are only allowed to order a small percentage of cars with 18 inch wheels.

Mark.
    FYI, today's Houston Chronicle has an ad for Mac Haik Ford showing several new 2007 Deluxe GT Mustangs with unbelieveably low price of $20,488. 4 stock numbers listed. 2 of which were found in dealer's online inventory. No factory options to speak of. Ad claims no add-ons.
    There's a Texas dealer that often has Mustangs on Ebay (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name them here). They typically have BuyItNow prices that look pretty good. Anyone have any opinion of them pro/con?

John
    New means it was never ever titled before.

You can find this out by running a car fax if you have the vin.

Mark.