Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac GTO Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lovegtolovegto Member Posts: 23
    Thanks, I stand corrected. I looked at Cars.com and there are indeed sixteen 2005 GTO's within 500 miles. Perhaps you know why one dealership in Illinois, Dan Wolfe Pontiac, has 5 of these 16 used cars on his lot. Is it that big or does it specialize in repossessions or some other esoteric form of acquiring used GTO's? It does seem to be a statistical anomaly.
    Since I was never was in the market for a used car and live 450 miles from the Dealership, my question is strictly academic.
    My posting is from Western Pennsylvania so the 500 mile radius includes from east of New York to West of Chcago, a lot of dealerships.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It is possible that those are all new cars.. and he has them listed as used, just so they pop up when people do a search...

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of "slightly" used cars on the market... Once I buy a car, I'm married to it for at least three years... But, there are so many cars out there with under 5K miles, that I just quit asking why...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Have you been trying to buy a GM vehicle with the employee discount, but have had trouble finding the model you want in stock at a dealership? If so, please send your name, daytime phone number and city/state of residence to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, July 29, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• elkiiielkiii Member Posts: 50
    If you click on the ads you'll find that most are new cars. You'll also find that they are offering "internet pricing" and that the price listed on cars.com may not be the internet price. As to the internet price, take it for what its worth. Nothing. The only price that matters is the one on the bottom line when you drive away. (And maybe not even then).
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    tulley pontiac in nashua nh has a black 2005 6-spd, used, 8k miles.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    Has anyone bought a GTO since 7/26?
  • gxpgtodanmangxpgtodanman Member Posts: 210
    The dealer I bought my GTO from in the norther nj area has a black with red interior, Automatic trans, NEW in the showroom. Not sure on mileage, but probably under 100.

IN fact if you do a GTO car search, it shows a few dealers in my area having a couple each. ONe dealer supposedly had 5.
  • lovegtolovegto Member Posts: 23
    If the Pontiac locator board is correct, there has been very little activity in GTO sales in my area since the end of the employee discount in June. First hand knowledge is that the same cars I saw in the lots in May have not been sold as yet. It seems to be a dealer issue, in that the dealers knowing they have a limited quantity of these vehicles want to hold out for the highest possible price. This seems to have been the case even when the employee discount was in effect for some dealers. A few of the dealers in my area emptied their lots of the GTO's in June but others did not move any. Perhaps the dealers who would not sell at the employee discount, adjusted for the employee discount by lowering their offer on the used car trade or some other dealer ploy.
  • pjj14pjj14 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone recently purchased a GTO in the Washington, D.C. area? If so, what kind of deal were you able to negotiate? A local dealer has offered me $500 above invoice. Thanks.
    That's a decent price right now. But with the last wave of '05s now hitting the US and premium gas approaching $4/gal if you can wait you'll get a better deal soon enough.

Because of no incentives, low inventory and high gas prices these cars just don't seem to be moving, at least not where I live. I see the same ones day after day at the dealer I pass on the way to work.
  • elkiiielkiii Member Posts: 50
    Bought mine under the employee pricing plan prior to the GTO being cut from the second round of the plan.

Since June I've seen some, but not many.

I also suspect that the GTO is not a high margin car for dealers. When I was looking they were less than enthusiastic about selling the car. Its generating enthusiasm among enthusiasts, but not among the general public. As a result they haven't been able or willing to use it as a halo car to define pontiac. This despite the fact that the "Driving Excitement" division doesn't have anything remotely exciting to drive other than the GTO. (Although someday they might have the Solstice)

BTW: The cars listed on the GM/Pontiac web site show up there when the cars hit these shores. Its still several weeks (or possibly months), before they actually show up on dealer lots. Also, this includes cars that have outstanding orders. So just because its on the web page doesn't mean its available for sale.
  • pjj14pjj14 Member Posts: 13
    A local dealer has just informed me that the 2005 GTO is now back on the employee pricing plan. Can you please provide me with any information you may have about how the employee pricing plan works. In particular, I would like to know whether the discount comes off the MSRP or the invoice price, and whether I can still negotiate with the dealer if I opt to take advantage of the plan. Also, can you tell me what kind of deal you were able to get under the employee pricing plan? Thanks.
    Here's the employee pricing:
    2005 GTO Automatic: MSRP: $34,395.00 Sale Price: $30,995.53
    2005 GTO 6 Speed: MSRP: $33,690.00 Sale Price: $30,293.23

It's not a discount. It's a set price. The 18" wheel option is extra. The GM website can confirm the employee pricing on a specific car but may not be updated yet re the GTO. The dealer will not be eager to negotiate on anything but your trade if you have one.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    I just saw an adv on Mercury news this weekend that one dealer advertise an 05 M6 below 30K. Apparently they have 3. For anyone interested. But may be waiting for an 06 for Nov and Dec is a better bet since the residual will be higher (unless you drive the car to the ground then the residual will not mean much)
    Just saw elsewhere that Arnold Pontiac (east coast dealer) is now offering $3500 under invoice on all remaining '05s in stock. That price must include the "secret" $2K in GM to dealer cash and all their holdback.

The dealer near me still has the same 8-9 cars they had since summer. Just wait until December/January when the '06s start to hit. Then you'll really see some deals!
  • kbobe67kbobe67 Member Posts: 23
    Local dealer (Wade Raulerson, Gainesville FL) is sitting heavy with two Quicksilver/Black 05's (an A4 and M6) and a Cyclone Gray/Black 05 A4. I bought my Phantom Black/Black 05 M6 out the door for $29k after Employee Pricing and $1k dealer cash.
  • jswhighamjswhigham Member Posts: 1
    I've been given a quote from the internet sales manager, of $31544 plus tax, title and tag, no dealer fees and no hidden charges for a new '05 auto with 18" wheels. Is this a good deal now that the employee pricing program is over? Or should I push for a better price?
  • kbobe67kbobe67 Member Posts: 23
    Go for it.
  • gtojoe2gtojoe2 Member Posts: 2
    Just came from 2 dealers in NJ and the GTO is selling for 30k. They were generous with my 2000 WS6 Trans Am trade in approaching 12.5k plus an additional 5k added by me to bring the payments down to $355 for 48 mos. I have 2 vintage GTO's and wanted to add this to the herd but opted for the Grand Prix GXP V8 instead. I'm real happy too...Great car with plenty of power. Smooth ride and all the creature comforts.
  • gtokengtoken Member Posts: 3
    I was eyeing a leftover '04 on a dealer's lot, but he's holding fast at $25k. Now I'm thinking I might be better off with an '05. The Red Tag on the car I'm looking at is $30486, but I'd like to get it lower. Anyone know if there are other incentives GM has provided to dealers to move the remaining '05s? I remember they did something similar in December of last year for the '04s. There's tons of '05s to be had around here so they can't be moving that fast. I've already seen a few '06s on lots.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    I would be very reluctant to pay $25K for a new 2004 GTO. For whatever reason there are lots of slightly used 2004 GTOs in most markets. By slightly used I mean that they have 5-12K miles and are in like new cosmetic shape. For example I loooked at a repo GTO in Massachusetts now listed at $18,900 with 7200 miles and it had an after market stainless steel dual exhaust system. I was in essentially new condition. Dealers advertise prices in the $22-25K range but deal readily (or should). After all the 2006 models are the present state of the art. For my money the 2004 with 350 HP is plenty of power and the interior hasn't changed much. If budget issues prevail and you have to have a GTO, I would recommend surveying the availability of 2004 GTOs by using edmunds used car search engine. Good luck.
    I don't feel comfortable paying $25k on that car either when they are commonly going for $19k elsewhere in the country. I offered them $22.5k for it but haven't heard back. I figured the fact that it is brand new is worth something. I've been scouting out used '04s in my area, most are priced around $25-26k. The lowest I've found is priced at $22.3k. Most, if not all are around or under 10k miles. IMO, they are all overpriced. However, like you said, they *should* readily deal.
    If you are interested in the 2004 (Black on black) gto I looked at in Massachusetts I would be happy to send you the dealers address and telephone. I am 61 years old and finally decided that it was too much car for my age and pragmatism. It was in great shape and the last time I looked was listed at $18.9K. The dealers were straightforward, no pressure and did mention that they were thinking of taking it to auction if it didn't sell soon. 7200miles. Fine shape in and out. New aftermarket SS dual exhaust with separate exits at the bumper. No other modifications I am aware of. It was the best deal I could locate.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Sorry, no contact information. Dealership name, city & state only. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• travisgreggtravisgregg Member Posts: 9
    Hi That one sounds very interesting, especially if its a 6 speed. What dealership is it ? Thanks
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    There were something like 165 '04's left on dealer lots back at the beginning of November (here's a hint... go to the Pontiac dealer locator, which defaults to the 2005's.... edit the URL in your browser window to 2004, and it will show you what cars are available. This also works for 2006 models).

The reason that most dealers don't like to go under $25k for the '04 GTOs is because that's the price point at which they break even. Figure dealer invoice, less holdback and the $5000 buyout GM gave them last January, and you're in the $25k neighborhood.

GM doesn't care/won't put incentives on these cars, for, as far as GM is concerned, these vehicles are already sold - to dealers.

I'm not standing up for the price, just trying to explain their logic. At this point in time I wouldn't pay $25k for a brand-new, never-titled '04 GTO - I think your offer of $22.5 was the sweet spot. For $25k I'd buy a used '05, or maybe pay $20k for a slightly-used '04 and put a ton of mods on it...

--Robert
    I found out about the $5k buyout from a couple friends. An acquaintance who used to work at a dealer estimated they could sell the car for $24.1k without losing any money. This takes into account the invoice price, buyout and holdback. I realize the dealer is trying to minimize his losses and understand the figure he came up with. It just doesn't make any sense to spend that kind of money on a new '04 when I can get a used one around $20k with less than 10k miles. I suspect I'll hear from this dealer before the end of the year. I'm sure they don't want to pay taxes on it again.

I found the link you mentioned to all remaining '04s in another forum. There's an identical car to this one about 50 miles away so I'm going to see what kind of a deal I can get on that one.
    I had attempted to leave the dealers name, town, state and phone number but the post was removed. Reading the above rules I guess the phone number was not allowed.

Anderson Automotive
    Grafton, Massachusetts (near Worchester)

Good luck.
  • stevietgtostevietgto Member Posts: 1
    Hopefully this is helpful to some other buyers, will be picking up my 2005 M6 w/18" wheels on Friday, $28,900 + tax, title, & tag. Was awaiting a post Red Tag return of the $3K incentive, but doesn't look likely, at least until January. I wanted specific color (MNB) and didn't want to chance losing the few left in inventory w/low mileage.

Yes, I was willing to travel. AirTran and Southwest have good one-way rates, most dealers will pick you up at the airport. Allow them to earn your business by knowing what's left nationwide. Watch out for those "doc fees", they're negotiable...

Good luck to all!
  • redacrredacr Member Posts: 24
    damn, what a steal :(

i mean, even at 25k the car is a great bargain.

man, i wish i had a gm card.

too bad i have the subaru mc.

gonna go to a dealer in the next hour or so. maybe they'll go into holdback, lol rwd v8 the day after christmas ;)

wow, according to edmunds, the trade in value on a 6speed with 1 mile on it is 22k. even at 25k, i'd already be upside down by 5k since all dealers by me use galves.
  • rcc442rcc442 Member Posts: 56
    OK, so the Red Tag sale is over, and unlike Ford and Chrysler, GM has not extended their program. However, it appears the $2000 rebate is still available. Here in South Florida, the number of '05's on the lots has dwindled significantly with the end of the Red Tag promotion, but the one I have my eye on hasn't sold yet.

So, I wonder what will be next... Will the rebate simply go up to $3000 as it did for the '04's? Will we see another promotion? Or, will the dealers simply get an incentive (as reported elsewhere in this forum) as they did last January for the '04's?

Anyone know if the dealers have any extra incentives now? (Knowing if there are any would help in negotiating a price.)

Unfortunately by waiting, the extra GM Card Bonus cash ($500) also expired on Jan 3....

My worst fear is that things will simply stay the way they are right now and the dealers will be able to sell the remaining '05's simply with the customer rebate, making the '05's $2000 less than the '06's "while they last".

(By the way, I saw a new orange '06 yesterday... personally, I don't like the color at all (and I usually like orange... the old "Hugger Orange" from 1972, to be exact!). The new red is not bad, but it is only available with a black interior, not the red leather.)
  • rcc442rcc442 Member Posts: 56
    Well, the move to a $3000 rebate hasn't happened yet, Red Tag has not been extended, and now I doubt it either will happen, since there are so few 2005's left on the dealers' lots (here in South Florida, anyway).

But, here's something interesting... it appears GM has reduced the price of the 2006 model by $1005 (base MSRP now $31,990, vs $32,995), and there is a $500 rebate. Since the 2005 rebate is still $2000, that effectively makes the 2006 model only $495 more than the 2005, which is WELL worth it. Of course, this doesn't take into account how much more a dealer might be willing to deal on a 2005 versus 2006, and any incentives GM may be throwing at dealers on 2005's (which, of course, an ordinary person can't find out, meaning you are, in effect, bargaining with one eye closed).
  • gtoguygtoguy Member Posts: 2
    Go used I got an 04 with 9900 Miles Blk/red out the door with tax for $22,000. The selling point was they let me (an unaccompanied 21 year old) walk on the lot and test drive it on the spot without any salesman with me. After one drive I was sold.
  • aldencabotaldencabot Member Posts: 7
    I bought a 05 6speed and I love it. One problem : the seat makes an audible click on acceleration... major pain on the rear.

I am not convinced that the local dealership has any clue about what to do... so I'm a bit concerned.

Drive your GTO hard on the test drive and make sure that you drivers seat doesn't 'click'.(esp around corners under acceleration)
  • blesseuerblesseuer Member Posts: 12
    Any recent prices out there. i am in ohio and looking at '05s in the $25-29 range. think this is better than paying full price for '06 and getting depr. hit since no major changes in car from 05' to '06.
    so looking for any interesting new news!
    thanks.
  • usa2usa2 Member Posts: 14
    I am looking to lease a 2005 GTO. What kind of lease rates, mileage restriction, and residual value should I expect? Could anyone share their experience? Was it a difficult negotiation?
    :confuse:
  • magnumforcmagnumforc Member Posts: 16
    I'm selling my 05 for 27K here in California. 7200 miles and showroom perfect. That's about as good a deal as it gets as the dealers seem to still have some inflated pricing before the last 06's show up.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    ...to get an '05 for $26k or so. This depends on the dealer selling at invoice, $2500 rebate on the '05's, $1000 in Instant Value Certificates, and $500 in March Madness rebate. If you have a non-GM vehicle registered to your address you'd be looking at another $1k. If you had a new GM Card with $1000 in earnings, you could take that off as well, otherwise if you have the old card, there's no redemption limit...

There were less than 900 '05's left at mid-month. Just like the '04's, the 6 speed manual trannys are going first... the A4's are a bit more plentiful. I believe the incentives expire April 4 and they won't get better...
  • hilgardpeakhilgardpeak Member Posts: 1
    Just paid $25.9k for a new 2005 6 speed GTO. $2500 rebate + $1000 non-GM incentive. They wanted to get the last of their 05's off the lot. Buy one before they are gone! :)
  • sssstsssst Member Posts: 21
    I am in the process now of looking up and down the east coast for the best quote on a 06 GTO spiced red, 6sp, 18" wheels, ground effects kit & grill inserts. So far my best quote is 32500. I'm not saying where but this one is looking real good. What have you guys paid for one similer? ;)
    M
    Hold out for $500 under invoice (about $30,300) for 6 speed trans. Now that spring is here, this may be tough but internet shop price and then visit on the last weekend of April.
  • bitymanbityman Member Posts: 2
    Sounds pretty close to list, maybe a hair under. In any event, you might want to see how they are moving off the lot right now since GM made the decision to end production. I know that they haven't been selling that fast, and, come mid summer, you might find one that a dealership is willing to unload. The only thing is that, for a reason that seems completely illogical to me, manuals are not easy to find. They had to bring mine for south of Cleveland! In any even, the packages are all dealer installed, so it's not a big deal to wait.

The 18" wheels are a must! The car looks better, and the ride is still supurb!
    Does anyone know a web site or any other way to find out how many cars they have sold for a given model year?
  • jack0565jack0565 Member Posts: 6
    I just started looking for an 06 6AT here in San Jose, Ca.
    The one dealership that I looked at had serious markups,
    around 6 grand,listed on the price sheet. Has anyone made any recent purchases in the area? I would do some driving to save money. The price they list totaled over 38,000. That's crazy. Just trying to get a reference point for cost.
  • bitymanbityman Member Posts: 2
    I have heard that SoCal is the hot place for GTO's since they are sort of a blank slate and they are perfect for the drift crowd. Search around for them in other places and buy the $300 one way. I know a buddy of mine was looking at an '04 a while back that a dealership in Missouri was going to unload for the mid $20's. But I also know that all of the company GTO's at GM evaporated the minute they announced the EOP. You might be caught in the rush to get the last ones.
  • sammy15sammy15 Member Posts: 5
    SF dealer with 5 new MT '06 GTOs list them at $32,685 and $33,165 (with 18 in wheels) before $700 destination. Seems to me you should be able to bargain maybe $1,000 to $2,000 lower. Say $1,500 less is good, then they go for $31,185 and $31,685 (w/ 18" wheels) before dest charges.
    Now they have also one new leftover AUTO Cyclone Grey GTO with 18" wheels. MSRP is like $34,800 including the $700 destination and the $1,300 gas guzzler tax. (Remember GM lowered MSRP ~$1,000 on '06.) Dealer has best buy sale on the new '05 for $28,995. WHAT IS IT WORTH? I was guessing $25,000 + $700 dest + $1,300 gas tax = $27,000 is fair. No clue whether dealer would take it. Is $28,000 reasonable?
    What about the incentives? Various different websites say $500, $750 & 1,000. Should that be factored in? I have GM CARD Earnings, which should save me $1,000 according to GMCARD.COM.
    I will also buy front mesh grills ($235 - $270)and smokers package ($100 - $140) and maybe emergency car kit ($65 - $75)
    Finally, if I go with sunroof (hope it doesn't reduce headspace too much as I am 6'4"), should I have dealer do it and at what cost ($1,100?) or find an authorized Westgo dealer to install it at what cost - $1,200?
  • theericharris1theericharris1 Member Posts: 13
    The lowest quote I received on a leftover 2005 was $27000 (automatic, 17" wheels).

GM is going to offer 0% financing for 72 months on 2006's, the rumor has it. Should start either tomorrow or on the 1st of July.

Don't settle for a 2006 (M6 18") for more than $30,000 and the 0%/72 months.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I'm also 6-4 and there's barely enough headroom for me with the solid roof.

I've been getting internet quotes on new '05s here in Ohio and the numbers have been surprisingly high - mostly mid 28s and up. For another 1k, I could buy an '06.
  • sammy15sammy15 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks all. I am worried about being 6'4", but I sat in one in the dealer and it seemd okay for a 2+2 coupe. I think I will pass on the sunroof if I will lose 1-2 inches as I guess I would.
    The next reply points out the new '06 should be ~$30K for M6. That's $30.7K w/ dest. charge. Auto would be ~$29.3K + $700 dest. + $1,300 gas guzzler = $31,300. That's about $1K less than I thought you could get in the Bay Area, but what do I know.
    The question then is a new leftover 2005 Auto w/ 18" wheels worth what I think is $26K? $27K? or is it closer to the dealer best buy price of $29K? I assume that price covers the $700 dest. + $1300 gas guzzler, since they advertised it against the MSRP of 2005 which also included those numbers plus the $495 for the 18" wheels.
    I like the 2005 model I saw (the only AUTOMATIC there), I like that the changes to the 2006 are minor and mean very little to me, and I like the car dealership being right near my home, all pointing toward paying a little more. But I have heard the resale value of the GTO is not as high as a Toyota or Honda (duh!), so am afraid the car has depreciated over 1 year more than the dealer would admit to.
  • mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    Name me the toyota or honda that compares to the driving experience of a GTO. Obviously you haven't driven one. Just buy the car for the best price you can and enjoy it.
This discussion has been closed.