Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac GTO Prices Paid and Buying Experience

12346»

Comments

• maryowens420maryowens420 Member Posts: 8
    Let them keep their picasso. They're obviously running a museum. That's why it's still sitting on their lot two years later.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I've been thinking about getting a car drop shipped directly to Lingenfelter for years. It hasn't worked out to this point because I've always lived too far away for it to be practical. I may pursue it next time around.

It looks like Conkle only has two GTOs left: a black one and another one that they're asking $56K for. I'm not interested in black and I can only guess that the other is modified in some way...
    I can't blame the dealer for trying the old "Collector's item" game, but when a car is sitting on your lot for two whole years, it might be time to change tactics...
  • stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    Just yesterday I saw an almost-hidden black 2004 automatic w/ about 10K mi in the back of a dealer's (Tom Sparks) lot. I keep thinking I'll buy one of these (w/ manual trans.)now that they are a few years old and just have something more fun to drive than my 1994 Audi! Concerns about how bad the gas mileage is, and the strut problems: are they fixable or would it be an ongoing issue.
  • ssguy69ssguy69 Member Posts: 13
    I strongly suggest you avoid it. A 2004 with 10K and it's sitting in the back of the dealership? You didn't say whether it was actually for sale but the dots don't seem to connect. From research done online, it seems the 'tire shredding' and suspension problem was corrected for 2006 models. I live in NYC and waiting until Aug 2008 to see if I can get a dealer here to let one go for $28000.
  • mparis1mparis1 Member Posts: 107
    StormDavy:

my cyclone grey GTO 2005 17,000 miles will be ready next year for sale...keep me in mind....

any other local GTO guys on line here..? :confuse:
    whats new with the TIRE SHEDDING PROBLEM ? :confuse:
    any local speed shop COMPUTER TUNERS AROUND? :confuse:
  • cyclonehankcyclonehank Member Posts: 3
    There is a new red/red 06 auto 18" in northeast ohio Simms Buick Pontiac. red tagged as their last one for $27,900. If anyone is interested. I noticed it Friday 06, 2007 when i picked up my 05cgm6 from a service appointment.
  • teachermannteachermann Member Posts: 3
    I've posted this before, but I got a nwe '06 with auto trans for $28K fron Conkle in Kokomo, IN. That was arranged by Lingenfelter - where the car is now going through its transformation into a Revenge Lingenfelter Commemorative Edition.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    There were no "fixes" applied for 2005 and 2006 model years relating to "strut rub". They may have paid closer attention to alignment (including cradle alignment) from the factory, but any 2004-2006 GTO equipped with the factory 17" wheels, and 245 width tires, is at risk of having its tires impact the struts. As posted elsewhere, this is likely due to alignment issues which may be exacerbated by blown factory radius rod bushings as well as collapsed strut mounts. Aftermarket fix is the only solution for the first problem, and will go a long way to address the second. GM's fix of max positive camber will definitely shorten your tire life by wearing down the outer "shoulders" of the tire quicker.

Regarding the pricing on new GTO's, they are at most a year and a half old, not two (since the first 2006 models did not arrive on dealer lots until December of 2005/January of 2006). Pontiac built extra 2006's (~14k of them - Monaro production ended nearly six months before GTO production) because they knew they wouldn't have anything to replace them with until the G8 hits early next year/they knew the GTO wouldn't meet the 2007 airbag specifications.

Furthermore, with only ~600 GTO's remaining, and maybe 125-150 of those being manuals, it has come down to a seller's market. If you're in the market to get one, if you can find the color combo you want new and can afford it, now's the time.

For those wanting a good deal, GM did put many of its field reps into GTO's resulting in a large number of slightly-used (3k-6k mile) GTOs out there (sold to GM dealers only at special auctions).

The two most important things you can do if you're considering any used car are:

1) proper test drive/inspection (looking for issues)
    2) having a GM dealer run a GMVIS report on the vehicle (requires the VIN number). This will tell you the delivering dealer, date of delivery, and any service-related work done to the car, warranty or no. The last thing you want to be doing is buying SEP: someone else's problem...

Regarding mileage, no six-speed GTO owner should complain about "poor" gas mileage (unless you keep your foot buried in the throttle, and/or are driving 100+ miles/day). EPA says 21 city/29 hwy... more like 18/26 in the real world - heck, even my A4 '04 averages 18 city/21 hwy, better than my wife's 2004 GMC Envoy w/I6...

--Robert
    LS1GTO moderator
  • usa2usa2 Member Posts: 14
    I have an internet quote of $29,000 + TTL with 0%/60 months. It is a torrid red/ black/ 18"/ M6.

I am checking for strut replacement.

Can anyone do a GMVIS on VIN#: 6G2VX12U86L825371

Deal or no deal? ;)
    Thanks for clearing up whether the strut rub problem was corrected on the GTO. So currently there are the following solutions:
    1) buy a GTO with the 18" wheels with the p235 tires,
    2) Have GM do it's max positive camber adjustment only to prematurely wear the outer edges of the p245 tires,
    3) Refit with aftermarket equipment.

In the end a typical GM experience that will cost money no matter how one approaches it. I want a GTO but the common sense side is telling me not to bother.
    I don't know if anyone on here has access to GMVIS... might want to swing by the service department of the dealership (bring a box of donuts or something), and ask them to run it.

My guess is that the car is outside the range of VINs that require strut replacement. The last built car was completed on June 7 2006 and it had an 838xxx VIN. Your 825xxx VIN is probably a mid-May build; the defective strut issue afflicts cars built from mid-January of 2006 until May 4/5, so, assuming my assumptions are correct, it's unlikely you've got the bad struts...
    Well, it's up to you if you choose to buy the car. I will say that, IMHO, the GTO is not a typical GM car. The quality of the interior materials/design, and the build quality, is better than any other GM car I've owned. My car has only seen the dealership for a few minor issues (i.e. broken gas cap) and I've had some other issues (door lock buttons, scratched speaker grille, trunk lock mechanism alignment issue) taken care of - but nothing serious in almost 22k miles in 2 1/2 years of ownership.

Suspension mods to fix the weak points would cost between $120 (SuperPro Radius Rod Bushings - I bought them from http://www.autoformgroup.com) and $240 (http://www.peddersusa.com). Pedders also makes HD strut mounts and sells replacement strut bearings - $38.79 and $34.71, ea. (and bear in mind you need two of each). So, for about $375 in parts + maybe an hour's worth of labor (the radius rod bushings you can do in your driveway if you're at all mechanically inclined) + an alignment , you'd be pretty-well set.

If you've driven the car and haven't fallen in love with it, then maybe it isn't the car for you. But if you love the driving experience but are afraid of the possible things that may go wrong, well, my experiences have been overall positive/I love the car - and I know I'm not alone (there are a fair number of new GTO's which have rarely seen the dealer - as well as the occasional car that lives there - I had that experience with my first GTO, unfortunately, but GM (eventually) took care of me...
  • zq8zq8 Member Posts: 82
    That VIN IS within the bad srtut range. Do not know if they have been replaced or not.
  • usa2usa2 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Robert. I got the scoop on the other forum. It needs struts. Maybe that is why the price is so appealing?
    If they had this car on their lot the whole time (i.e. they didn't dealer-trade), it's their own laziness in not keeping up with the paperwork. Make them order them ASAP (quote the Y-6099 or whatever the field action # is) so they get replaced ASAP/don't drive the car much (or at all if the struts fail, otherwise you risk contaminating other suspension parts/brakes et. al.)
    I salivate everytime I see a GTO, but I don't have the tolerance for build issues-even if I can correct it, I shouldn't have to-when it's a brand new car. If GM fixes the issue under warranty or reimburses me for expenses to correct the problem, then I can see myself in a GTO very shortly. All carmakers have duds and quality issues, but GM and it's not-so-great quality reputation legacy are too well known for something like this with the GTO. I wonder if this was an issue for the Monaro or does it only affect models outfitted for the U.S. market? I'll figure out what to do very shortly. When you indicate "GM (eventually) took care of me...", could you explain further how so?
  • ehasleyehasley Member Posts: 18
    Hey all, I just sealed the deal on a Red on RED 2006 GOAT with... 2,041 miles! It's certified used to boot, which is amazing because I picked it up for $25,000 before a trade. I've been doing research on this car and I know about the Strut issue. The build date of my car is 07-07-06 so i don't believe it is an issue with mine. The only draw back is that it's five hours away in Virginia haha but the deal was too good to pass up. If any of my fellow GOAT owners (God it feels good to say that) have any comments or tips I would appreciate it.

Thanks-
    Evan
    EDIT: I think I have the build date wrong. the VIN is 820xxx. Does anyone have an approx. build date?
    since the last car was built on June 6, 2006 and had an 838xxx VIN. Yours is probably right around the time that the blown strut issue was discovered, but the best way to determine is to have any GM dealer pull a GMVIS report on your car. The GMVIS report shows the ordering dealer and any warranty and service work that was done on the car - if yours is susceptible to the strut issue, it will have a GM program listed - if you see that mentioned, but no strut replacements under warranty, the work hasn't been done. Oh yeah, the GMVIS also shows the "build date" but, for our GTO's, this is NOT the date the car was assembled in Australia, but instead the date the spoiler was installed when the car got off the boat in California...

GM put a ton of field reps into GTO's in July-August-September of 2006... those cars got between 2k and 6k miles on them, and were subsequently sold in a GM dealer-only auction... your car might be one of those, based upon its mileage. GMVIS is also useful because it will show you if the car was administratively bought back for any reason (someone in Waco, TX ended up with my first :lemon: GTO, unfortunately for them...)
    Thanks for the reply hammen. Here is a copy of the GMVIS for the car.

Help
    VIN : 6G2VX12U86L820669
    VEHICLE INFORMATION
    Merchandising Model : 2VX37 -2006 GTO COUPE
    GMWarranty Start Date : 08/31/2006
    BARS Order Type : 70 - RETAIL - STOCK
    Delivering Dealer : PATRICK PONTIAC-BUICK-GMC INC.
    405 S WASHINGTON HWY
    ASHLAND , VA 23005-2312
    (804) 798-4200
    Selling Source : 16 - PONTIAC
    Site Code : 04090
    Business Associate Code : 115655
    Service Contract : No
    Branded Title : No
    Warranty Block : No
    PDI Status : Paid

REQUIRED FIELD ACTIONS
    Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Campaigns

SERVICE INFORMATIONAL ITEMS
    Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Service Information

ON STAR AND XM SATELLITE RADIO INFORMATION
    Vehicle Has No Associated On Star or XM Radio Information.

APPLICABLE WARRANTIES
    Description Effective Date Effective Odometer End Date End Odometer
    36/36000 BUMPER TO BUMPER 08/31/2006 68 miles 08/31/2009 36068 miles
    72/100000 SHEET METAL COVERAGE RUST THROUGH 08/31/2006 68 miles 08/31/2012 100068 miles
    96/80000 FEDERAL EMISSION CATALYTIC CONV. AND PCM 08/31/2006 68 miles 08/31/2014 80068 miles
    36/36000 FEDERAL EMISSION 08/31/2006 68 miles 08/31/2009 36068 miles

CLAIM HISTORY
    R.O Date R.O Number Type Labor Operation Odometer Reading
    07/07/2006 A20669 I Z7000 - PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION - BASE TIME 0 miles

I'm betting you guys can interpret that better than I can, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Thanks all for the help.
    The keyword here is "Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Campaigns". You should have no worries of defective struts. Very clean vehicle. Good luck with your purchase...
    Thanks hammen. I'm counting down the minutes until I head to Virginia.
  • monarofanmonarofan Member Posts: 30
    Evan

Congratulations on the car. Have you picked it up yet? I am sure you will love it. I have a red 05.

Chris
  • irishmike1irishmike1 Member Posts: 3
    I placed an order today for an 06 GTO Auto from a dealer in CT (I am in NY). Vin 6G2VX12UX6L517974. Should I be worried about the struts. The car comes with the 3/36 warranty.
    What kind of MPG should I expect.
    Any recomendations on the milage for the first oil change?
    Yep, I picked it up last Saturday. I need to get the car inspected here in PA when I register it. There are some things that need checked out. First, it just developed yesterday, there is a whine coming from the car when in gear and accelerating. In neutral it is gone, I believe it is coming from the rear differential, I'm going to have them drain and refill it. Second the left rear of the vehicle sits lower than the right. And while going around turns there is a "clunk," so that needs checked out. I read on another forum that it could be the rear sway bar out of the bracket. Any one have any ideas? As far as the buying experience, all went smooth, until now. I feel like I'm getting the run around on it. I need the check for the taxes, title cost along with the title information so I can title and register my gto. I've tried three different people at the dealership and no one will return my phone calls.

Sorry for the long post haha
    Evan
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    Evan, you call that a long post!? pffft! :)
    it's normal for pinion gears to make *some* noise, but hey, your car is under warranty so do max out on having the dealer evaluate *anything* which concerns you including rear gear noise.
    left rear sits lower than right? that's gotta be fixed, obviously, unless you are a massive individual and are siting in drivers seat or left-rear of the car at the time! could they have forgotten to remove the "chock" spacer-thing from one side of rear suspension? - those were used for the car's long boat-ride and train/truck ride too, afaik.
    ahhhh, I'll look for some sort of chock on the passengers side then. Thanks so much for the info. I'm anxious to see what the Pontiac dealer tells me when I take it in one Thursday.
    GM sold 200 last month. Should be approximately 201 on lots.

192 are automatics, and only 9 manuals (7 Torrid Red, 1 Brazen Orange Metallic, 1 Quicksilver Metallic) are left. Some of these might be demos as well...
    Have any GM dealer pull the GMVIS report. Look for the section saying "Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Campaigns" - if so, you're great.

If it has a Yxxxx code and says something about strut replacement, yet there's nothing in the "Claim History" section showing both struts replaced, you need to get that done (dealers were supposed to proactively replace struts on vehicles in inventory, that program ended 2/28/2007, but less than 50% of Pontiac dealerships ever read the bulletins/do the work.).

MPG? Depends on how heavy your right foot is. On an '04 A4 (LS1) I get 20-21 mpg in highway driving, more like 16-18 city driving (most tanks average between 18 and 20).

First oil change? I'd do one at 500 miles, if not immediately. Your car was probably filled with oil in May of 2006 - 15+ months ago. Get that stuff out (and any metal shavings/debris that might be in the engine, as well as any assembly fluids/lube) ASAP.
    Hammen2,

I don't know how you get your info, but please never leave the forum. Your info always seems reliable and on the money. How do you know all of this info (inventory sold, how a model was prepared for shipping, etc,....)?
    Whining on accel? Yep, differential, have them flush the stock fluid. Strongly suggest replacing with Royal Purple or Torco - my diff whines on decel (45-55) and it got significantly quieter on the Royal Purple (installed at 6k miles). At 23k the whine was getting louder - swapped with Torco, it's maybe a little louder but it whines at a slightly higher mph range, so I hear it less. Still might push for replacement.

Rear springs sagging... have them replace them, common problem. Measure the stock ride height (in mm) from the bottom lip of the rim to the bottom of the fenderwell... the stock ride height figures are posted on LS1GTO, but they should notice the difference between the left rear and the right rear.

Clunk coming from the rear or front? Where are you located? You might try to find a close Pedders dealer (http://ww.peddersusa.com) to do a free 28-point suspension inspection. Of course, they'll give you some suggestions on upgrades - in many instances their stuff > stock, in others it makes sense to use your warranty. They probably know more about GTO suspension than your local dealer...
    I am one of the moderators on the most popular 2004-2006 GTO site (as well as a GTO owner for 3+ years - and my car won the 2004 GTO popular vote at the GTOAA Nationals in Louisville in 2006 :). Very familiar with the car and its issues. Got the latest sales info from this GM media site:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gm- - news/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=39053

Someone on the site did a locate on M6-equipped GTO's and came up with 9. 201 remaining, -9 M6, = 193 A4's...
    Don't you hate it when you type a 3 when you aimed for a 2? No, I did not fail math (though I dropped and then re-took Calc I in college :-)

201 GTO's
    9 M6's
    = 192 A4's.

There, that's better...
    Thanks for the info. I ran the GMVIS and "Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Campaigns". Good News. I picked the car up yesterday and had the dealer change the oil and filter before I left the dealership. Total miles after the ride home and the "spin" is 216 miles.
    Car is fast. Love the color.
  • pixdadpixdad Member Posts: 6
    Evan - Just a heads up. I have an '05. When I got it a bearing in the rear end went out. It started as a slight noise and got louder. It was fixed under warranty.

Bob
    Thanks for all the replys. I got it back from the Dealership yesterday, its not fixed yet. However, I have a brand new Diff. and a new spring coming in from Australia, they are going to call me when it comes in. It's a little more quiet because they changed the gear oil when the pulled it apart. I'm just glad to have my goat back, driving a cobalt rental for a day was pure hell haha. The thing didn't even have power windows or locks. I guess GTO has me spoiled.

~Evan
    Robert

Do you know of any good pedders dealers in the Washington DC area?

I am taking in my GTO tomorrow to the dealer. It has developed a whining sound (like cicadas) that is worse when I accelerate. I also noticed some reddish/brown fluid leaking slightly from one of two pipes on the right front underside of the engine. I can also see some stutt rub on the front right but this may have happened before my alignment a couple of months ago. I want them to check the front rod radius bushings and have them show them to me at the service.

Chris
    Does anyone know if the GTO imprinted trim (at the bottom of the rear bumper that wraps/integrates with the exhaust pipes) get matching body color treatment for 2005/2006? I don't think so, no matter what color as I recall it being a contrasting black color with the GTO imprint. I ask because I'm looking at a 'blazen orange metallic' and it's the first I've seen without the contrasting black trim. First thought I had is that it must've been repaired and repainted.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    good question, ssguy69. go over to ls1gto site and look for some pictures and maybe that will tell you the answer?
    my 05 was indeed repaired (cyclone grey) and i elected to have the aussie rear-bumper-bottom-cover installed instead. it is black and does not say G T O . also it has a square thing in the middle, a little doorway thing that maybe is there to accomodate a trailer-hitch. ?
    btw, i think the blazing orange color is awesome. but i'm color-blind, lacking most of the green-receiver cones so i'm probably not seeing the same color as you no matter what i'm looking at.
  • hquakershquakers Member Posts: 6
    Some people have painted that rear insert. You are correct in that none came painted from the factory. If you are looking at one that has been painted, don't just assume it was repaired. Some people just like the painted insert look (not me, however) and that owner may have been one of them.
    I appreciate the feedback and a person repainting the insert is an option and then there is the case that a GTO that could've been in an accident can be repaired to exterior factory specs. I'd rather have the standard factory appearance and take care of changes myself. In the end I passed on that GTO. Keeping my eyes open for the right one.
  • hquakershquakers Member Posts: 6
    Absolutely keep your eye out. There are some good deals out there, but the prices are going up a little (as far as I can tell). At about April/May they could be had for about $17k with ~30k on the odo. Now, one with the same mileage would be about $18-19k. I looked for several months before I found one at a good price that was well taken care of. Check autotrader, vehix, and the local AutoMart mags as there's always a GTO hidden somewhere. Good luck.
    I'm in mourning.

I had located in Massachusetts a silver six-speed 2006 GTO with 10,600 miles. The dealer was willing to let it go for 24,750. I had never driven a GTO prior to visiting the dealer and boy what a surprise. The car is a power house! I felt like I went on an amusement ride after I test drove it. Right there my mind said: 'this car is so impractical - what!? with all that power- at a time when gas is so expensive' and I told the dealer no. Then next day called back said I'd take it, called another day again and said no and then called and said yes and lastly called and said no. In the end I went to look at another car (Acura TL) that I thought I'd like but I kept thinking about the GTO. Unfortunately the dealer had sold the car when I called. I'm now here in mourning. I'm gonna get a GTO because I'm smitten and it's a rare ride. Somebody pass me a tissue please. ;-(
    What a shame! Depending on how and where you drive the gas mileage is not so bad, especially for the engine size. It is probably only 2-3 mpg different to the TL, which is just a few hundred bucks a year.
    What are you worried about? There's a dozen listed on cars.com within a couple hundred miles of Boston. There's another half dozen on E-Bay. You might even find a new one left on a dealer's lot if you look hard enough. Worst case scenario, wait a few months and buy a G8 when the prices come down...
This discussion has been closed.