Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche 911

Comments

• spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    I just took delivery of a 997 Turbo, Metior Grey/ Blck Full Leather.

First of all, if you are planning on keeping the car 10 years and driving the wheels off of it, I would get what you want and stop worrying about resale. At least don't make it a BIG CONSIDERATION. You'll be lucky to get 30% of your purchase price back on a 10 year old high mileage Turbo.

My opinion of some of the options you are considering:

- Wood looks great in a SL 600. It's a luxury car, NOT a sports car. Wood wouldn't look good in a Ferrari 430. In my opinion, it looks out of place in the 911, especially the Turbo.

- Try to find examples in used cars of the two tone colors you are considering. Pictures can be deceiving. You can't really go wrong with full black leather interior, but you can end up with a funky look on some of the two tone and heavy aluminum/carbon accents.

- I take it the Tiptronic is a no brainer because of your wife? I posted previously that a new Turbo owner contacted me to see if I would do a swap after getting the Tiptronic on account of his wife and then disliking it. If you are going to keep the car for 10 years and are concerned about resale, you might want to ask your dealer when the DSG will be available. It's not a big deal if you like the Tiptronic, but I'd hate to have ordered a Tip only to find out I could have waited a couple of months for the DSG. I had heard the DSG would be available on Turbos by early spring, but not sure if that was a reliable source.
  • hfanghfang Member Posts: 31
    I totally agree with you. Most of us will not have the time or the financial capacity to participate in intensive driving schools- which does not necessarily mean we are "wasting" a great vehicle like a 997 GT3. I'm also considering a GT3 in '07, especially considering that a well-equipped C2S will cost $90k, and a new GT3 about $20K more, which I think is completely justified, especially when you consider that the X51 pack costs almost as much. However, I wish that the rear wing could be "deleted"- I wonder how much Porsche would charge for that!
  • amerikanischamerikanisch Member Posts: 20
    Spirit,

First of all, if you are planning on keeping the car 10 years and driving the wheels off of it, I would get what you want and stop worrying about resale. At least don't make it a BIG CONSIDERATION. You'll be lucky to get 30% of your purchase price back on a 10 year old high mileage Turbo. >>

I agree but if we do sell or we eventually give the car to our daughter, I would not want the interior to be too odd-looking.

My opinion of some of the options you are considering:

- Wood looks great in a SL 600. It's a luxury car, NOT a sports car. Wood wouldn't look good in a Ferrari 430. In my opinion, it looks out of place in the 911, especially the Turbo.

Okay.

- Try to find examples in used cars of the two tone colors you are considering. Pictures can be deceiving. You can't really go wrong with full black leather interior, but you can end up with a funky look on some of the two tone and heavy aluminum/carbon accents.

Good idea.

- I take it the Tiptronic is a no brainer because of your wife?>>

Yes and she is stubborn. Believe me, she will NEVER learn how to drive a stick shift. This car is supposed to be a late Xmas present, so a stick is OUT. I will wait for the new tranny, however, if it is coming out in less than a year. Otherwise I'll take my chances with the tip.

I posted previously that a new Turbo owner contacted me to see if I would do a swap after getting the Tiptronic on account of his wife and then disliking it. If you are going to keep the car for 10 years and are concerned about resale, you might want to ask your dealer when the DSG will be available. It's not a big deal if you like the Tiptronic, but I'd hate to have ordered a Tip only to find out I could have waited a couple of months for the DSG. I had heard the DSG would be available on Turbos by early spring, but not sure if that was a reliable source.

I have heard estimates as high as two years. I won't wait that long as I am no spring chicken anymore. When I was in my late 20s I owned little metallic blue 914. I LOVED that car. It was my little go cart! Unfortunately, they had a propensity to develop gas leaks and burn and thus I lost my true love. I was all bummed out until I found out that I was getting a check for $8900 (replacement value). I had only paid $5700 a couple of years earlier.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "Most of us will not have the time or the financial capacity to participate in intensive driving schools."

You would spend $90K+ on a sports car, but you can't spare one day and $180 for a PCA HPDE a few times each year?!?!

IMHO, if you buy a GT3 and don't intent to track it - at least recreationally a few times per year - you're wasting your hard-earned money and a world-class sports car.

You'll never see a road where you can discern the differences between a GT3 and C2, and (more importantly) you'll never attain the driving skill to exploit those differences.

Now, if you want a GT3 simply because it's rare, special, nicer than your neighbors Aston Martin, you've always wanted a Porsche and only the best will do, etc., well that's fine too. Order it with every factory option, pay someone to professionally detail it, park it in your 8-car garage (you know, the one with the checkered tile floor and racing posters on the walls), and rub it with diapers once a week. Enjoy!
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    Life is short, get what you want.
    Having said that, try not to "[non-permissible content removed]" the inside up too much.
    You'll never get your investment back on loading up the car with costly Porsche accessories. Put your money in the stock market if you're looking for a return on capital.
    The P-car is a beautiful wonderful expensive toy, I don't care what anyone tries to make it into.
    And remember, money and good taste don't always travel the same road.
  • ifpskenifpsken Member Posts: 39
    To: Amerikanisch

I took delivery of my 997TT in late August and was told by my dealer that his next delivery is November. What are you being given for a delivery date? The dealers here in So Cal are quoting 2 years plus for orders.

Options... I also agree that the wood, in my opinion, does not suit the TT. Mine is Slate Grey with Black/Terracotta with many aluminum, and leather, trim pieces. Do you have many dealers in your area? I visited 5 in So Cal and the 911s I saw on the floor gave me an excellent experience to view the different options. I was given an order cancellation and therefore did not have any ability to select my options and therefore wanted to see what I would be receiving.

As it turns out, I totally enjoy my OVER OPTIONED TT. I could have saved a bunch not ordering certain options, but oh well, I waited only 2 months for it.

I thought I might not like the Tip, but I totally enjoy it! Using the Sport mode, when it senses you are driving hard, it changes its shift patterns. It will shift harder/later or softer/earlier depending how it senses you are driving. Also, EVERY article I have read that quoted race drivers, stated the race drivers preferred the Tip. Only the testers or Porsche enthusiasts preferred the manual. My experience has been... it has soooo much power that the Tip allows me (the relatively untrained driver) to handle the vehicle safely while experiencing the extremely quick acceleration runs. I have only had two sessions at the Streets of Willow, but more will come.

"Bang for the Buck" I believe I am going to lose a bundle on this toy, but I have accepted that and enjoy a Porsche that looks tremendous due to the options that it came with. I like the yellow calipers, they draw a lot of attention.

The DSG is supposed to be the next big thing for Porsche, but how much quicker could it make the TT go?
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Redsoxgirl, let me suggest that "casual weekend winery tours" in the Finger Lakes would be a great way to exercise a GT3. It was anyway back in '69 in a 912 (all my Vietnam savings could swing). I can even visualize it in my mind: leaving Ithaca at the Octopus and heading up the western side of Cayuga Lake to the winery in Trumansburg. Then back down the lake, stopping at the Rongovian Embassy for refreshments, then turning right and heading west toward Hammondsport...
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Thanks for your help form all of you kind folks. With the help of a very nice lady salesperson who stepped in to help out her collegue (my salesman was not there), I pretty much picked my options for my 911 turbo.
    As stated earlier, I do not much care for carbon fiber. I like contrasts.
    I tentativly chose the GT silver metallic- a very rich color that looks like the same color as a burnished bar of silver- omly a deep, rich silver color. It is also the color used on the $450,000 GT model, It was a $2380 option.
    The lady suggested that I do the lighted threshold option. When you open the door, the word "turbo" lights up on the doorsills. She said this is good for the "WOW" factor. Cost: $780
    Next, I chose to have the back of the center console done in matching black leather with the word "turbo" embossed on the lid. Cost: $293
    The front portion of the console will be painted in GT metalic silver to match the exterior paint and contrast with the jet black seats (thus the contrast): $730 ( a real rip-off!)
    Another option I opted for was the multifuncyion steering wheel for hands free telephone, radio adjustment and tiptronic: $259.
    Next, I opted for the $250 foot rest because I thought it might be comfortable.
    I opted for the tiptronic tranny but I think I will hold out a while for DSM:
    cost $3420.
    Park assist may come in handy: $530
    Sport Chrono Package: $1840
    Module for telephone: $960 (soon only hands-free telephone will be legal in cars in Calif.).
    Black matts with Pirsche logo (a relative SUPER bargain) $115.
    Heated seats. This is sunny California but the lady said it was good for resale as a seperate heating zone thus eliminating the need to heat the entire car. She said women DEMAND heated seat: $480
    Porsche embossed crest on the hradrests (why not)? $270.

Base price $122,900
    Options 12,307
    Taxes/ Lice. 13521

Total 148,728 plus delivery out the door

WOW!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "The DSG is supposed to be the next big thing for Porsche, but how much quicker could it make the TT go"?

As I understand it, the Tiptronic is a manually shifted automatic transmission with a torque converter. The DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox), will employ two electronic clutches that will allow very fast shifts up and down, with no torque converter. I agree with you, I caon't see how much faster that will make the Turbo in acceleration, but supposedly the engagement action will be much faster and mechanically "direct".

Can anyone explain to me what the actaul mechanical difference is between the current non-Turbo 911 Tiptronic and the Turbo Tiptronic? The non-turbo model is slower than the 6-speed (i.e. a C2 6-speed is a couple ticks quicker than the C2S Tiptronic), but the Turbo Tip is quicker. They are both listed as 5-speeds and cost the same $3,400 +/-. But I have to believe there is a difference, given the different performance results.
    I read that the Turbo Tiptronic downshifts much faster than the non-turbo version.
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    The TT tip also is networked to the rest of the car, hence the car can keep the boost up during upshifts.

"This is the result of the interaction of the turbochargers with their variable turbine geometry, the Porsche Traction Management, and the new Tiptronic S set-up."
    Just to let you folks know, we ordered the 911 Turbo today. The wait from the Newport Beach dealer is over a year and they do not even issue you a reference number until Porsche accepts your order. We ordered from Woodland Hills and they gave us a reference number immediately and they said the wait time will be about 6 months. I think the salesman is telling the truth. I came in under the Costco auto buying program and I think it behooves the salesmen to deal honestly with Costco customers. I did not get a discount from MSRP, but getting the car twice as fast is a bonus of sorts. A dealer in Northern California offered a whopping $100 discount from MRSP under the Costco program, but I did not think the distance (about 400 miles) justified the savings.
    Anyway, I did as much research as I could about the new DSG Transmission. After talking to several people ar Porsche, I decided to go ahead with the purchase of the turbo with the tip tranny. If the new transmission comes out with the '08 model which is a distinct possibility, the high demand might mean a significant rise in the base price PLUS, who knows what the DSG will cost? AS much as I would like to have the latest and the greatest transmission, I do not want to pay a huge premium for it. If the turbo's base price increases 20% due to high demand and the new DSG is, say an additional $12,000, I could be looking at another $40,000 in a worst case scenario. Anyway, I can see a $25,000 increase EASILY. No, it isn't worth the risk. I can live with the tiptronic.
    It is possible that the DSG will come out in Europe in "08 and not come out in North America until "09. I suppose I could buy an '09 from a german dealer but I am not sure. Also, there may be problems with a new tranny but I doubt it given German efficiency. Anyway, I can hardly wait until April!
    You might want to lighten up on the "large font" button. It's a little too "in your face", which I don't think is your intention.

Congratulations on your order, but for the record, I don't agree with your financial analysis of future pricing.

The 2007 Turbo was long awaited and a very substantial improvement over the outgoing 996 Turbo S. Yet, in terms of price, its hardly any more, equivalently equiped. My dealer claims it's actually less, given the new standard PASM and other features.

The DSG was originally intended to be introduced with the 997 Turbo, but for some engineering reasons, was delayed. I've been told when I toured the factory that the Tiptronic is just a 1+/- year substitute and will not be available after introduction of the DSG. It may indeed be more than the $3,400, but I seriously doubt more than another thousand or two. And, at least according to my dealer, approximately 75% of the Turbos sold are being ordered with manual 6-speeds, so it's unlikely that the DSG by itself is going to increase demand that much or effect overall market pricing. Especially given that the huge difference in going from the 996 to 997 model didn't result in a price increase and Porsche has scaled back production due to market concerns. I suspect the DSG introduction will go unnoticed except by enthusiasts. If you keep the car for 10+ years, it won't make much of a difference on resale. But if something changes I suspect a 3-4 year old Turbo with Tip will take a hit in resale when the DSG takes over, only because it is the top of the line Porsche. I mention this only because of your stated concern on resale.

Also, there are numerous dealers on the East Coast that have slots for ordering a Turbo for delivery before April. My dealer ships 5-6 cars a year to buyers from the West, at a current shipping price of $1,600, which they generally split with the buyer. I have at least 3-4 business associates in California and Arizona that have ordered Porsches and BMW M cars from the east at either substantial savings, faster delivery, or both.
    Spirit,

Thank you for your informed opinions. I use the larger font so I can read it better. It is not my intention to "shout". There must be a way to make my font look larger when I type and not larger when you see it.
    Thanks for the tip on delivery, but I think I can make it until April without blowing a gasket :).
    Regarding the tip tranny, I am sure it will be obsolete within one to two years and maybe a bit sooner, but I drove the turbo and it is wicked fast. I cannot imagine the DSM shaving off more than another one tenth of a second or two at the very most from zero to 60. Would I like to have that extra boost? You bet! And I am shelling out the extra $1800 for the Sport Chronometer function. But I am not so sure that Porsche will not raise the price considerably for the '08 models given all of the publicity and the waiting lists. There is a decent chance that the new DSM will only be available on the '08 models next summer and if Porsche is a "nice guy" and not known for taking advantage of market demand, I could be wrong BUT, I think waiting until summer hoping for a modest price increase may not be the wise move. Anyway, I have read numerous driving reviews and I have yet to read a review that trashed the tiptronic. At least one of the professional race car driver reviews that I have read stated that the race car driver preferred the tip over the manual. I presume they were not paid to say that (or pressured) but I could be wrong. As for the guy who hated his tip so much that he wanted to swap for a manual tranny, I think he just prefers the total involvement of the manual transmission.
    So, I think while the tiptronic will soon be obsolete, it is sort of like- scholastically speaking- going from a B+ to an A and while the improvement will probably be noticeable, in most probability it will not be like going from a C to an A. Of course of you are a true aficionado and you notice every minor detail, it may very well be a big deal to you and I guess when you are paying $150,000 for a car, you are paying for details. While I enjoy getting involved in the purchase of such a fine machine as the Turbo, I am not a true aficanado. This is a nice reward for all of my hard work and if the new DSM is a bit better, I think I can live with it.
    Spirit says:

>

But this was before all of the publicity about the Turbo being the "perfect super car for every day use" and a "bargain" (Road and Track October 2006). Once you put "perfect" and "bargain" together, you usually get a spike in demand. As the word gets out the waiting times may well increase before summer and if Porsche isn't Santa Claus. I think a substntial price increase may be in the offing for the '08 models. If the new DSM is introduced with the new '08's, the price increase could easily be $25,000. I just do not think the Porsche people would pass up a nice profit. After all, they are in business to make money. If not, remind me not to buy their stock.
    Dear folks,

I hate to monopolize this forum but I have another request for advice from you experts.
    We made some changes in our options on the 911 Turbo, and we have one week to tweak this list before the order becomes final.

Color: When we went to order the Turbo, my wife noticed a lavender tone in the GT Silver color that I never noticed. She said she did not want to have a "prissy" color so we opted for jet black instead. I thought whoever said there was "pink" in GT Silver was color blind. Apparently, not. Not only do we save the $2300 option upgrade, but the black car looks almost "mean" and aggressive and much sharper. The $800 upgrade to metallic black would be easier to keep clean but not as dramatic looking. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and keep the car clean. I may get away for washing once a week if I use a California duster every day.
    The telephone options are quite confusing. The first salesperson who helped me out said I should take the $960 module telephone option and keep a second cell phone in my car to make it convenient rather than change chips back and forth. The last salesman said to forget the option and just get a bluetooth with a headset from my cell phone provider. Can anyone help me on the best and cheapest way to handle the hands-free telephone problem? Calif. will soon ban hands-on telephones in moving vehicles so I must address this concern.
    Supple leather: Yes, it makes the seats look more luxurious BUT several salesmen told me the quilted look also shows wear much faster. The last salesman recommended this $395 option as a bargain. I looked at a used car that had the supple leather and had 44,000 mils on the odometer. Yes, the leather was creased and did not look new, but did not look bad either but probably not as good as standard leather would have looked. Does anyone have experience with supple leather? Can you give a recommendation?
    Electronic log book: I am self employed and declare mileage on my income tax so I thought this option at $650, was expensive but useful. The last salesman cautioned me that this function may not be easy to use. Since the whole idea is convenience, I am reconsidering this option. Do any of you entrepreneurs have an opinion?
    Remote CD Changer in the trunk: getting mixed reviews. Any opinions?
    Rims and caps exterior. Any pictures available?
    Rear window wiper- sounds good from a safety standpoint but I have yet to see a model with this option so I presume it impedes the appearance of the car. This option is free. Any comments? I live in So. California so snow and a lot of rain is not a big factor.
    The new salesman recommends red seatbelts in the black/black car to coordinate with exterior red brake calipers. This option at $530 plus seems overly pricey. A touch of red in the cabin might give a more sporty appeal but would have to make an impact to justify the expense. Comments?
    Embossed Porsche crests on the headrests ($270)-not real noticeable but noticeable might not be in good taste. Worth it?
    The $250 muti-function upgrade to regulate the radio and navigation system without moving hands from wheel seems like a relative bargain.
    Rear console- the $1260 to leather-up the front portion of the console seemed excessive but we opted to leather the lid portion including stitching- with "TURBO" logo, it came to $293. A bit pricey but a relative bargain. I didn't think it added much but the wife liked it.
    Here's something that's really a "pickem". The door entry guard in stainless steel with the illuminated "TURBO" logo was extolled as great bang for the buck for "WOW" factor. Second salesman said it's only noticeable at night and not worth it. Does anyone have this option? Would you order it again?
    That's about it, friends. I did not opt for the really astronomically priced options. You can spend 40 grand on upgrades that really do not make a big impact, I only have a week to finalize the order so your help is much appreciated.
    Thanks for your indulgence
    I'll take a shot at a couple of your options, but before I do, I'll add my opinion that Porsche will NOT substantially increase the price of the Turbo for 2008, DSG or not. I have been called by my dealer asking if I would like to upgrade (I have a C2S Cab) Turns out that the demand here in the DC/Baltimore area is strong, but not way above demand. And, from what my dealer and friend who is a lobbyist for Porsche both tell me, the company is tring to increase profitability through increased US volume, not by raising prices the way they did in the 90's. According to the Kelly Blue Book, a 1997 911 Turbo S carried an MSRP of $150k. :surprise: Makes $140k in 2007 look like a bargain.

On a couple of your options questions:

- CD changer seems like a no-brainer, if you listen to CD's. If not, then save the money. Get XM, now that it's available.

- Bluetooth headset is not a substitute for hard-wired hands free phone, IMO. Unfortunately, I don't have it in my 911, but do in our Acura's. I tried the Motorola earpiece headset and hated it. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but it seemed more distracting than holding a handset to my ear when driving. If the Porsche hands free system allows you to voice dial similar to the standard Acura system, I'd get it. Even if you have to use the dash keypad, I'd rather be speaking through the cars speaker system than wear the earpiece microphone like a secretary.

- Red seatbelts. Sorry, too funky for me. I'm not a fan of those kind of options. When I was considering selling/trading my Seal Grey for a Speed Yellow this spring, I was offered a great deal on a Speed Yellow that a dealer ordered with Yellow seat belts, instrument dials, center console, etc. Made me sick to my stomach. Kept Seal Grey.

- Black exterior. Been there, done that. Very Happy with metallic Seal Grey. Would get the Turbo in Meteor Grey. Like the slightly darker look, but flat black would drive me nuts tring to keep clean, fixing chips and avoidign swirl marks. You did say you were going to drive the wheels off the car for 10 years , correct? That wear and tear will show a lot more in falt Black than any other color.

- Embossed head rests. I have them and they look nice in a Cab with the top down, but I wouldn't get them in a coupe.

All my opinions, obviously.
    You seem to have an "in" and I was wondering if you could possibly get an educated idea of when the DSM will be available including any waiting time. Traveling to Germany to cut time is a possibility but that would be an extra 4 grand (tourist delivery) on top of any other additional expense.

On a couple of your options questions:

- CD changer seems like a no-brainer, if you listen to CD's. If not, then save the money. Get XM, now that it's available.

Okay.....

- Bluetooth headset is not a substitute for hard-wired hands free phone, IMO. Unfortunately, I don't have it in my 911, but do in our Acura's. I tried the Motorola earpiece headset and hated it. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but it seemed more distracting than holding a handset to my ear when driving. If the Porsche hands free system allows you to voice dial similar to the standard Acura system, I'd get it. Even if you have to use the dash keypad, I'd rather be speaking through the cars speaker system than wear the earpiece microphone like a secretary. >>

The salesman says the engine noise makes the driver hard to hear. That is why he recommended blue tooth. He says you can hear them but they have problems hearing you because the microphone picks up the engine growl. I think I may need another alternative.

- Red seatbelts. Sorry, too funky for me. I'm not a fan of those kind of options. When I was considering selling/trading my Seal Grey for a Speed Yellow this spring, I was offered a great deal on a Speed Yellow that a dealer ordered with Yellow seat belts, instrument dials, center console, etc. Made me sick to my stomach. Kept Seal Grey. >>

You dislike loud colors. I don't like them either. Red belts are 86ed.

- Black exterior. Been there, done that. Very Happy with metallic Seal Grey. Would get the Turbo in Meteor Grey. Like the slightly darker look, but flat black would drive me nuts tring to keep clean, fixing chips and avoiding swirl marks. You did say you were going to drive the wheels off the car for 10 years , correct? That wear and tear will show a lot more in falt Black than any other color. >>

I realize that taking care of a black care requires some anality that I am not sure I possess.

- Embossed head rests. I have them and they look nice in a Cab with the top down, but I wouldn't get them in a coupe.

Okay, I think you have something there. The embossed seats are out.

All my opinions, obviously.

Obviously.
    If you can get any ideas on availability timeframe for that new DSG, please enlighten me or send me the leads so I can do the research. I do believe that summer is about as long as I want to wait. Summer is the time I like to be out on the road.
    Thanks for your imput. I very much appreciate your taking the time.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Here is my 0.2

Color - Triple Black looks mean but you really need to take good care of it. Why not guard red or Speed Yellow? By the way, I don't think California duster is a good idea, it leaves some wax residue on your paint.

666 options - if you do want it, all you have to do is to buy an extra simcard from your provider and keep it in your car.

CD changer - the head unit can play both MP3 and WMA so why bother with a changer (btw it cannot play MP3 nor WMA)

Red seatbelts - I think it looks good with black exterior and interior...just don't wear anything green. I actually wanted Speed Yellow seatbelts but my wife told me not to because of her color crashing theory.

Embossed Prosche Creast on heardrest - It is very hard to see in a coupe, would make more sense in a cab.

I like the Turbo logo on lid and the illuminated logo sills options.
    To: Amerikanisch

My comments differ slightly....

CD Option - I like it, especially the one disc player in the dash. I load the cartridge with favorites that I will listen to for awhile and leave the single dash-player empty for other options. XM is NOT available for me and I cannot have parts dept add the XM option. Can you order a 997TT with the sat radio? I just called parts and was told I do not have any options to add Sat radio unless I go to aftermarket.

Phone - Mine came with the phone option but I have Verizon and it is not compatible with the TTs system. I would have to change carriers to use this option. I have the Bluetooth in my Lexus LS430 and prefer not to use it. I receive complaints from the other end of the line so I often use the Bluetooth headset from Plantronics. It works much better than the Motorola headset. I have tried Motorola, Jabra and Plantronics and favor the Plantronics. It works fine in the Porsche (no complaints from whom I am speaking to unless the air conditioner vent is pointed at my face). Therefore I disagree with Habitat, I think it is an Xlnt alternative to the phone option.

Red Seatbelts - I agree, I don't think it reflects class.

Black Exterior - Also, been there, done that. Mine is Slate Grey, have owned it two months, have 1100 miles on it and it still has not seen a hose. I clayed it two days after taking possesion and I wipe it down once a week with a wet micro fibre cloth and dry it with a turkish towel. (no streaks or residue left using the towel as the final drying). Have you ever owned a black car? Spend time (a lot of time) and it will look great, after a few years you will not spend the same amount of time on it.

Mine has the the embossed head rests, stainless door sill w/turbo illuminated and I would do it again. The Turbo lit up does look nice.

You have not mentioned the Adaptive Seats, they are great! Comfortable, fully adjustable, but an expensive option.

This saturday, Nov 4, the Orange County Porsche club meets at Mikes in Santa Ana, on 1st street, for breakfast at 8am. I will be there (my first visit with Porsche OC) unless it rains... drop by, introduce yourself, and look at my options. You will be able to make a better decision as to what you really would like and what you don't need.
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    1.) Black is a beautiful and sexy color for a P-car, one of the nicest. Also, one of the very worst to keep looking good and EVERY ONE I've seen shows those nasty swirls in the paint that just seem to happen. LIke habitat1, I have Seal Grey and the worst that happens when it needs a bath is it loses a bit of its luster. I'd also recommend you at least take a look at Meteor Grey.
    2.) If you can burn MP3 CDs, you honestly don't need the CD changer. If you don't know how to do this, pay any 8 year old to make/burn them for you from your CD collection. Not trying to be a wise guy, they just know how to do this.
    3.) I guess if you get the red seat belts you can rent the TT out to a pimp on the weekends. Sorry, couldn't resist.
    That said, my 911 goes to the dealer for its first oil & filter change in the morning, will have had her almost 1 year. That's a year of (mostly) smiles.
  • eewatcheewatch Member Posts: 8
    I was hoping to have ordered a 911 C2 in the August-October timeframe, but decided to push out the date due to a few factors. Anyway, I think I pretty much know what I'm going to order:

A 911 C2 with the following options:
    1) Arctic silver paint / black interior
    2) Xenon headlights
    3) Sport Chrono package

That's it! Trying to keep the cost as low as possible. I'm REALLY trying to keep the cost to $80k out the door. I live in CA/Bay Area (so figure 10% on top of the car & options for tax and lic). That's puts me at around $82.5k

I'm hoping to place the order around the dec-feb timeframe. When the time comes, I'm planning on emailing and or calling a bunch of dealers to see who will give me the best discount. I'll do a check of inventory on their websites as well just in case they have something lightly optioned that's close to what I'm looking for. Obviously they'll give me a better deal than ordering.

So my question: do you think it's realistic to expect a dealer to give me at least a $2.5k discount on such a lightly optioned car if I do end up ordering it?

Also, I'm still confused as to what "partial leather seats" means? Does that mean the seat/back portions of the seat are leather and the sides/back are leatherette?

habitat1: I think I read sometime ago that you ordered your car from AZ? I checked the Scottsdale dealer's website and they had a ton of 911 C2's in stock....more than any other dealer I've checked. Care to throw out a wild guess on what that dealer might offer me as a discount for the car I've spec'd above?

Thanks in advance for any and all info.
    Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions. I DO very much appreciate the help of you P -aficionados.
    No, I have never had a black car but I have always admired them from afar. There is something about a handsome, glossy black car with chrome accents that really gets my adrenalin pumping. I think the combination is simply unbeatable.
    Thank you for the invitation to the Orange County Porsche Club. If I am up early, I will try to show up in Santa Ana for breakfast. Santa Ana is a little drive as I live in the south Orange County coastal area. Do you suppose it would be possible to E mail a pic of that illuminating door sill to me?
    Sport seats are pretty much out. I'm over 50 and I have not been to the gym lately. Getting out of that low car is hard enough with the regular seats so I think I'll save the difference and not have to squeeze past the extended bolsters of the sport seats.
    I was thinking (a dangerous practice). Since that new DSM tranny will be out within 2 years for sure, what do you guys think about my doing a lease instead of a purchase? After 2 years I simply turn in this car and buy the new Turbo with the new tranny. If you guys are right and the prices are not stratospheric, that might be the best move. I have always owned and never leased but this is a may be the best way for me to go. What do you think?
    1. Not sure if you value trunk space but the CD changer does take up some space from the small trunk. If you can burn MP3 disks, the single CD player is good enough. Personally, I went Nav-TV iPod kit, even though it's a little buggy.

2. I'm the color blind one who noticed the pink hue in the GT silver. I went artic which is zero maintenance and goes well with the aluminum multi-function steering wheel. I like the contrast between the black interior and silver exterior. The aluminum multi-funciton wheel is also slightly thicker than the normal multi-function steering wheel so you should check it out.

3. I ordered the phone option and would do it again. Put in an extra SIM card from the GSM provider. I normally use CDMA too so have to call forward. Call forwarding is a little annoying but I like the integrated look.

4. They also say natural leather is quite nice, haven't seen it so no comment.

5. Stayed away from those color seatbelts, only cosmetic option is the headrest crest. Rear console in leather can be nice.
    "habitat1: I think I read sometime ago that you ordered your car from AZ? I checked the Scottsdale dealer's website and they had a ton of 911 C2's in stock...."

Actually, I bought my (in stock) Seal Grey C2S Cab from Hunt Valley Porsche in Baltimore. I had ordered the Speed Yellow from them as well. I did have a guy from Scottsdale that was interested in my Seal Grey, but then I decided not to sell.

Regarding the price, you should be able to do substantially better than $2.5k off. I would guess at least $5k off. Less markup on a low option base 911, but still enough to get you more than $2,500 off.

Seats: I have the $1,520 black (all) leather seats. And the $1,550 power/memory seats/mirrors option. ($3,070 total) I wouldn't order all leather seats if you are trying to save money. The partial leather seats (vinyl inserts) look quite good and you have to pay close attention to see the difference, especially in black. The rear jump seats are vinyl/leatherette vs. leather but again, hard to tell. If you were inclined to get leather and power/memory, I'd go for the adaptive, which are both, plus the side bolster adjustment, for only a little more. But if you are the only driver and you want to save money, go with the standard partial leather non-memory seats.
    I don't have any reliable information on when the DSG transmission will be available for the 997TT or other models.

In my opinion, leasing a new 997 Turbo Tip for a couple of years so that you can buy a 997 Turbo DSG in 2008 would probably not be prudent. I have to believe that 2 years of lease payments on a Turbo would run you $40,000+. And, from what I understand, you are perfectly happy with the Tiptronic. I think the DSG will appeal more to those who don't like the "automatic" Tiptronic and would rather have a "manual" DSG that allows for more complete control, faster downshifts, etc. But I would still personally prefer a traditional 6-speed 3-pedal manual. So if you are content with the Tip and plan on keeping the car for 10 years, I think you should go for it. Worst possible case you decide to sell in 3 years and take a little more hit in resale. But it sure as heck won't be $40k more.
    1. Not sure if you value trunk space but the CD changer does take up some space from the small trunk. If you can burn MP3 disks, the single CD player is good enough. Personally, I went Nav-TV iPod kit, even though it's a little buggy. >>

"Burning" is a skill I have not acquired. M3 disk? Not sure what this is.

2. I'm the color blind one who noticed the pink hue in the GT silver. I went artic which is zero maintenance and goes well with the aluminum multi-function steering wheel. I like the contrast between the black interior and silver exterior. The aluminum multi-funciton wheel is also slightly thicker than the normal multi-function steering wheel so you should check it out.

You have sharp eyes. I never would have noticed the lavender/ pink hue if my wife had not pointed it out. I wonder how many macho guys do not know they are driving a lavender car? LOL.

3. I ordered the phone option and would do it again. Put in an extra SIM card from the GSM provider. I normally use CDMA too so have to call forward. Call forwarding is a little annoying but I like the integrated look.

Can the people you talk to hear you easily over the engine growl? That is supposed to be the problem with the Porsche car microphone. If you do not take many calls in your car, it might be okay. I conduct business calls from my car so for me, this is important.

4. They also say natural leather is quite nice, haven't seen it so no comment. >>

Natural gray looks even darker than stock black, but it is also an option upgrade costing $1510. Not worth it, in my estimation.

5. Stayed away from those color seatbelts, only cosmetic option is the headrest crest. Rear console in leather can be nice. >>

If I did the color seatbelts, it would be in silver to coordinate with the aluminum accents in the stock car but $500 plus seems an outrageous price for this touch. If I lease, I certainly would not consider this.

We have opted for the leather and embossed logo console lid for less than $300. The leather upgrade for the front of the console is about $1200. It would be a nice luxury touch but this seems outrageously high. $500 would be plenty. Another possibility- to contrast with the black seats, I was thinking of making the front of the console aluminum -look but even that is $730. Clearly a rip-off but if it didn't look cheap, it would make a nice contrast to the black all around it. Does anyone have this aluminum look console? Does it look tinny or does it look good?
    I don't have any reliable information on when the DSG transmission will be available for the 997TT or other models.

In my opinion, leasing a new 997 Turbo Tip for a couple of years so that you can buy a 997 Turbo DSG in 2008 would probably not be prudent. I have to believe that 2 years of lease payments on a Turbo would run you $40,000+. And, from what I understand, you are perfectly happy with the Tiptronic. I think the DSG will appeal more to those who don't like the "automatic" Tiptronic and would rather have a "manual" DSG that allows for more complete control, faster downshifts, etc. But I would still personally prefer a traditional 6-speed 3-pedal manual. So if you are content with the Tip and plan on keeping the car for 10 years, I think you should go for it. Worst possible case you decide to sell in 3 years and take a little more hit in resale. But it sure as heck won't be $40k more. >>

The car without tax or license is going to run a bit over $131,000- with tax and license, a bit over $144,000. So you are saying I can drive this car for three years and sell it for more than $91,000 (before T/L) or more than $104,000? How much of a depresiation hit do you think I would take once the new DSM comes out? I think if they raised the price significantly for the new tranny, it would not hurt my resale much. None of you seem to think that will happen, therefore, I can only conclude that the new technology will hurt my resale price somewhat. I would really appreciate a good estimate of what I could sell a car in good condition in ten years for after considering the options available to the buyer. Can anyone help?

If I was going to be the only driver, I would probably opt for the manual tranny, but my wife is the one who wanted the P- car in the first place. We test drove the Carrera S 4 and my wife really liked it. She liked it better than the Mercedes SL 600 we test drove. Personally, when I am paying $95,000 for a Porsche, I expect a little zip and the acceleration on the Carrera was nothing special. It was 355 HP if I remember correctly. Anyway, I decided to get the Mercedes but I noticed that the SL600 models take a big hit of depreciation after two years and a friend of mine bought an '03 SL 500 just like new with 5,000 miles on it for only $61,000. So, I thought, why not let someone else take the depreciation? I can pick up a low mileage SL600 in mint condition in the low 90s when the it cost about $145,000 new two years before.Sounded like a plan. Well, I was going to buy my wife a rolex for Christmas and she said "forget the rolex. I'd rather have a Porshe." Fine, I thought, but the Carerra did not impress me that much so I picked up a Road and Track magazine and found the new turbo with 480 hp. I thought it would make us both happy. She gets her Porche and I get the performance. I figure I have worked hard for 30 years- saving, investing and doing without- I was driving a VW bug in high school and college and saving my money when my friends were driving Z 28s and Corvettes. They used to kid me about my economy ride. Today I could buy and sell all of them together ten times over- no brag, just fact.
    The whole idea was to sacrifice when I was young so I could have a nice house and nice toys later on. I do not regret my frugal years but I'm middle aged now and not getting any younger. Now, I figure is the time because as they say, "You can't take it with you". That being said, I still like to get value for my dollar. Some things never change.
    I would really appreciate a good estimate of what I could sell a car in good condition in ten years for after considering the options available to the buyer. Can anyone help?

SORRY, I MEANT to say:
    I would greatly appreciate an educated estimate of what the 2007 turbo with tip tranny will be worth in 2010 ( in THREE years, not ten). Cost today with T/L- about $144,000.
    Your lease thought is not valid. If you lease a TT for 2 years you will pay a higher payment as opposed to a longer lease, is the higher payment acceptable? What if in two years the DSG trans is not yet available, your lease term would be ending. If you select a longer term lease, you cannot simply turn the car in, if it is worth less than the residual value you will have to come up with the difference. If it is worth more than the residual value you would be giving away the difference unless you buy it out of the lease and resell it.

The benefit of leasing is, in my opinion, twofold, if it can be considered a business car you will be able to write-off more than a purchase, secondly if the car is not worth the residual value at lease end you are NOT at risk. The leasing company takes the loss.

Accept the fact, this is a toy Not an investment. Expect to lose a bunch on it. I would rather waste money on my toy as opposed to the $1,000+ bottles of wine (they only last few minutes).
  • redsoxgirlredsoxgirl Member Posts: 67
    "If I was going to be the only driver, I would probably opt for the manual tranny, but my wife is the one who wanted the P- car in the first place. We test drove the Carrera S 4 and my wife really liked it....I expect a little zip and the acceleration on the Carrera was nothing special."

What you do to please your wife is none of my business, but since you seem to be fishing for opinions...

1. A C4S Tiptronic would be significantly slower off the line than a C2S 6-speed. Numerous road tests of the C2S 6-speed put it at 3.9 to 4.2 seconds in 0-60. That's not far off the 996 Turbo and at least halfway to the 997 Turbo from the C4S Tiptronic that you drove. Not to mention, $10,000 cheaper than the C4S Tip.

2. A Tiptronic, at $3,400, has zero or negative value on resale. This is true of Boxsters, 911's and, especially the Turbo. It's not necessarily reflected in the "book values" but, as we all know, prices are heavily negotiated when you go to trade or sell a car. A 911 is not an SL (thank goodness). Most serious sports car enthusaists that shop Porsche want a 6-speed and that factors into resale.

3. The cost of a Porsche Performance Driving school starts at around $1,800. Two of you could go for the price of a Tiptronic.

My point in all of this (if not evident) is that if you (a)are really worried about the resale of the Tiptronic (b) you don't want to have an "obsolete" Tip when the DSG comes out, (c) you would probably opt for the 6-speed yourself then .... help your wife to learn how to drive a stick. It's not that hard. And is a lot more fun. Even with the slightly faster tiptronic in the Turbo, according to my brother, among his Porsche employee friends, there is not a single driving instructor or race team member he knows that would take the Tip over the 6-speed manual in their personal Turbo.

I don't mean to try to impose my own preference for a 6-speed on you or your wife. But there is so much more to the driving experience of a 911 than mashing your foot on the gas. I had a chance to trade the C2S I had on order for a Turbo. I would have done it, but it didn't have the sport chrono package.

It sounds like you and your wife have made it and deserve a little self indulgence. Ordering a 997 Turbo 6-speed and then, before it arrives, taking off a long weekend for the Porsche driving school would be a romantic alternative. And the best alternative for future resale. Humor me - think about it. ;)
    Here is a couple of pics of the Alumimum console, it doesn't look tinny. Some people like it and some don't.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    That looks great!! My concern is if it would be easily nicked or dented?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

"Can the people you talk to hear you easily over the engine growl? That is supposed to be the problem with the Porsche car microphone. If you do not take many calls in your car, it might be okay. I conduct business calls from my car so for me, this is important."

The voice quality is average to be honest. I conduct business calls as well and find the SL better in this respect (Mercedes also have bluetooth).

The good thing about the Porsche phone module is the caller ID part as it mutes the music. Sometimes I prefer to pull aside and actually turn off the engine to properly talk. Regardless of which phone you use in the car, the idling/engine noise is fairly noisy in my opinion.
    Redsoxgirl,

You must be female (RedsoxGIRL) and coming from a female makes your point all the more relevant. My wife is a sweetheart, but she is very stubborn. I will run it past her for sure but I do not expect miracles. She has emphatically stated that she does not want a stick shift. I suspect that while she has no interest now in learning, once she learned, she would have a BLAST. In fact I am almost sure of it. The problem is that once she makes up her mind, that is pretty much IT. I doubt if she would change her mind even if I threw the Rolex into the bargain but I will run it past her. I just thought it would be pretty bad if she asked for the car and then I was selfish and got the car for me. Wish me luck!
    By the way, the dealer agreed IN WRITING to let me move to the DSM tranny line without losing my deposit if Porsche started taking orders before the car was delivered to his dealership (probably April). I guess I have a chance of getting the new tranny, but I might have a better chance if I was in a longer wait line.

Thanks for your help.
    Thanks for going to the trouble, Tom. I am kind of neutral on this option. It does break up all of that black which is good, but $730 is still a big hit for a little paint. The carbon fiber option which is also available doesn't do much for me because the color just blends in. If you are going to spend the $, I think the option needs to be noticeable.
    So far so good. I don't think it can be any worst than the "regular" console. I had the regular black one and had someone painted it to get that factory "aluma look". It's cheaper than what Porsche would charge but it did take me 2 hours to uninstall/ install it
    No trouble at all. I didn't like the carbon fiber look on the console. If you decide to stay with the regular console or leather. I think the CF e-brake and shift nob (or even the steering wheel) would look good and help breaking up the interior a bit.
  • hotrod88hotrod88 Member Posts: 17
    I don't talk on the phone in the car, nevertheless, I wanted to make it a little quieter, so I ordered sound proofing material from b-quiet.com. I bought the 1/2 thick stuff - it weighs 8 pounds for an 8 foot-square section (4x2). I installed one piece of it from the base of the back seat upto the rear window (my P-car does not have the rear speakers behind the seat). I plan on putting it on the sides, where the rear wheels are, and perhaps under the rear seat, but have not gotten around to it. I have not measured the effect with a decibel meter, but subjectively, I think it does reduce the engine noise somewhat.
    From your response to redsoxgirl, you sound like the twin brother of the guy who was trying to swap his Tip for my 6-speed: Initially considered an SL55. Wife preferred 911 but refuses to consider leaning how to drive a manual. Fifties and ready to splurge on a sports car...

In any event, regardless of your transmission choice, I'll strongly "second" the suggestion of redsoxgirl to take your wife to a performance driving school. If she has never learned how to drive a stick and is "very stubborn" about learning and/or getting one, is it fair to guess that she has little or no experience or skill in driving a high performance sports car? Unless you are going to set the governor at 55 and limit her to trips to the beauty salon, I think a Porsche or Skip Barber weekend course wouldn't just be fun, but prudent.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that the PSM and AWD of the 480 hp Turbo will make up for a lack of driver skill. I could put my wife in a 1970's Honda Civic and she would avoid accidents that would send her friends to the hospital or morgue in their 2005 BMW's. But as a young adult, she had an Alfa Romeo and an uncle who was a semi-pro driver for Jaguar teach her how to handle a sports car. It literally sends chills up my spine when I hear of someone about to go from 30-40 years of driving family sedans, minivans and SUV's to a Porsche Turbo or Ferrari 430. Not as much as the rich idiot parent giving their 16 or 17 year old a BMW for their birthday, but not far behind.
    From your response to redsoxgirl, you sound like the twin brother of the guy who was trying to swap his Tip for my 6-speed: Initially considered an SL55. Wife preferred 911 but refuses to consider leaning how to drive a manual. Fifties and ready to splurge on a sports car... >>

You don't suppose that was me, do you :-)? No, it wasn't.

In any event, regardless of your transmission choice, I'll strongly "second" the suggestion of redsoxgirl to take your wife to a performance driving school. If she has never learned how to drive a stick and is "very stubborn" about learning and/or getting one, is it fair to guess that she has little or no experience or skill in driving a high performance sports car? Unless you are going to set the governor at 55 and limit her to trips to the beauty salon, I think a Porsche or Skip Barber weekend course wouldn't just be fun, but prudent.

I think it would be a BLAST to go to Porsche driving school. In fact, I think I WILL.
    As fas as my wife goes, I showed her RedSoxGirl's response and she said "I just won't drive it then." You see what I am up against, folks. STUBBORN, STUBBORN, STUBBORN.
    Anyway, you guys convinced me about that new DSG tranny and I E mailed my salesman and he agreed to put me on the tentative list for the DSG Turbo. I just hope I don't have to wait too long. BUT I plan on getting the SL in the meantime so I won't be too, too misearble.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that the PSM and AWD of the 480 hp Turbo will make up for a lack of driver skill. I could put my wife in a 1970's Honda Civic and she would avoid accidents that would send her friends to the hospital or morgue in their 2005 BMW's. But as a young adult, she had an Alfa Romeo and an uncle who was a semi-pro driver for Jaguar teach her how to handle a sports car. It literally sends chills up my spine when I hear of someone about to go from 30-40 years of driving family sedans, minivans and SUV's to a Porsche Turbo or Ferrari 430. Not as much as the rich idiot parent giving their 16 or 17 year old a BMW for their birthday, but not far behind. >>

Oops..... COINCIDENTALLY
    I gave my daughter a Beemer when she turned 16. She has done okay so far and she's almost 18. It is a little 325i -not too powerful- and she is a girl and doesn't drive crazy.
    Thanks the installation looks a little hardcore on the web page. Do you have pictures of your installation?
    I haven't done a proper installation, like you see on their website. The Porsche dealer printed out instructions for removing the side and rear panelling, but I have not had the nerve to actually do that - afraid I might damage something... The dealer actually said they would install the stuff for me, properly, but I had just got the car and did not want it messed with, so I did the following. Hope you can picture this. I covered from the bottom of the rear seat-backs up to the rear window. It takes a bit more than one 4x2 sheet. The large area behind the rear seats upto the rear window was done with one piece, trimed to fit. Behind the rear seat-backs was done with an additional piece. Velcro, glued to the material, can be used to hold it in place if necessary (although I have not done that yet). The visible part is black, and my interior is black, so it is not too visible, nevertheless, I may cover it in velcro someday.
    B-quiet makes several types of material - I chose their heavy stuff ( I think it is called LComp ). So if you were to get 1 sheet of it, cutting it to fit behind the seat would not be a lot of effort - but it may not make enough difference for you either. BTW, it seems that folks who install car stereos know something about these things...
    Re: Thanks the installation looks a little hardcore on the web page. Do you have pictures of your installation?

Oops, I should have just said, I do not have a picture, instead of rambling on...
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Reality check: Either you are putting us on or I am in the wrong business.

Like you, sign me, WOW!
    Thank you for the detailed notes hotrod88!
  • marinedocmarinedoc Member Posts: 8
    I have owned six 911's over the last thriry years, all having 6 speed transmissions. I am currently driving a 2004 Carrera 4S Coupe, which I love, but spend a lot of time in rush hour traffic and was looking for an "easier way". I test drove a 2007 S with Tiptronic Shift last week, and was somewhat bothered by the "lag" when accelerating both on the highway and into and out of curves. I have held an SCCA racing License and also attended many driving schools, so I have more than casual experience driving these cars. I'm not saying that I won't purchase the Tiptronic, but I would definitely advise anyone considering the purchase of this vehicle to test drive both the standard and Tiptronic shift prior to purchase.
    Thank you. I think I will hold out of the DSG tranny. I doubt if that will have much of a lag. By the way, what is anyone's opinion on the luxury supple seats? Do they wear well? I have heard conflicting comments. Also, is it sacrilege to put supple (puffed luxury) seats in a turbo?
    I have seen the supple seats and don't like them, a little out of place like wood steering wheel in a sports car.
  • jakeman1jakeman1 Member Posts: 8
    A Porsche dealer has a 2006 911 with 2000mi on it. The MSRP was 78820. I was hoping to get it for 65K, but the lowest they will go is 67.5K, which is about 14% off. It's in service date is 07/07/06 and is not certified. I've been looking around and think that their price is fair, but wanted to see what others think. It's hard for me to stretch above 65K though. I thought I'd call back in a week and see where they are with things.

Searching on the Porsche webagent, their price seems good, as most of the dealers with 2005 cars that want less have over 20K miles on them.

Here are the details and thanks!

Silver with black interior
    Bose
    Heated Seats
    Electrical seats
    dimming mirrors
    Xenon
    Manual tranny