Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

DODGE DAKOTA QUAD CAB

Comments

• bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Andrew, you have but two choices regarding the differential ratios, and they are: 3.55 and 3.92. The 3.55 provides better mileage but sacrifices some towing capacity (if you need it). The 3.92 subsequently offers more grunt, but at the cost of higher RPM and mileage. Now Andrew, if you are considering a 4X4 configuration, the limited slip differential is the only way to go. As a matter of fact it is very important for 2WD as well. As far as braking is concerned, I have never been a fan of 4 wheel ABS although many folks opt for them. I don't believe it has any effect on durability but it does perform differently than standard braking (2 wheel ABS). The problems experienced by some posters, is regarding the quality of the braking components provided as OEM by the manufacturer (Daimler/Chrysler). Hope this helps.

Bookitty
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Anyone have a clue if the $2000 cash back will continue on the 2001s? Edmunds is still showing them expiring 10/31.
  • slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    there is a difference i'm almost 99.5% sure by ordering antiocks the front brake rotors are increased from 11in to 13 in......
  • traumagastraumagas Member Posts: 64
    I have a 01 quad with 4.7 4x4 limited slip 3.55 rear end. The rear end starts howling once the truck has come to speed and the engine is just maintaing speed. Howl stops under torque. Dealer has had the truck twice in the past 9000 miles. dealer states they have replaced everything except the rear end housing, I have been away from site for a while a wanted to know if you guys had any Ideas
    Thanks in advance
    Traumagas@aol.com
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    Jon, My 2000 QC4x4 had a whine from day one. At 9000 miles dealer tried new ring and pinion set, but didn't even leave the new gears in as they wouldn't set up any better than the originals. They then ordered the whole rear end housing with gears and installed. That cured my problem. Hopefully your service dept has a GOOD rear end guy. A very slightly bent axle tube will cause a whine that can't be removed with out replacing the housing. My service mgr. thought that the axle may have been damaged in transport, but who knows. Any way I would push to replace the whole rear enh housing and all. It worked for me. Good luck. Nick
  • namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    Sorry but they are exactly the same size. 11" front discand 9" rear drum unless you get the 2000 payload you get 11" rears drums.

I actually pulled the wheels on a few before I ordered mine. Besides, think about about DC advertising. If the brakes were bigger they would boast about it to sell more.
  • n8magicn8magic Member Posts: 15
    I have been in the market for one of these for a while now, and the time has drawn nearer for me to make a purchase.

What I would like to know is, is the Dakota scheduled for a redesign anytime soon? I hate buying a car and having them redesign it the next year.

I like the current model, but if a redesign is coming soon, I can wait for a little while. BTW, the reason I ask is because of the new Ram 1500's. What a nice looking truck!
  • tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    I believe the redesign is scheduled for '03 for the '04 model year
  • rdavidcoxrdavidcox Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my 2000 QC SLT 4WD 4.7 3.55 on Oct 1, 2000. As of today I have 19650 miles, and so far, have not had a single problem. The truck is white with the gray trim. I added custom gray wheel fender trim, an ARE bed top with carpet all around, window and front hood trim, and Yakima roof bars. Also gray merino wool front seat covers and Husky floor covers.
    I get 15-16 mpg in daily suburban driving, but on a recent trip from NC to New England and back, got 18-19 interstate 70+mph. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic and change it every 3 months. I have seen the other makers try to "catch up" to the Dakota, and those space cadet vehicles are quite humorous. With my truck/suv "look", I get comments almost every where I go.
  • fvracerfvracer Member Posts: 13
    According to Autoweek, the Dakota is scheduled for an '05 redesign. Not surprising that the dates have been moved back due to the financials D-C has been experiencing.
  • yoshioyoshio Member Posts: 18
    Hi....I'm new to this forum..but have been reading a lot here and trying to absorb as much as I can.
    Has anyone heard anything about replacing the 3.9 engine with Chryslers new 3.7? I know that it has 210 hp and the mileage rating is 16-20. Does anyone have more info on this engine. this sounds like a good engine for the dakotas. What do you think?
  • scoutxscoutx Member Posts: 10
    Y'all -

Does anyone know how you can track the status of a factory order via the Internet once the dealer has actually placed the order for you? I thought someone mentioned that before.

I placed an order for a 2002 QC (4.7L V8, 5 spd, 4WD, tow pkg, etc.) at the end of October, and I'm dyin' for it to get here (and I've only called the dealer once to check)! If possible, I'd rather ping Dodge's website instead of the poor dealer...

- ScoutX
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (yoshio) It is expected that the new V6 based on the 4.7L V8 hemi will replace the present gas-guzzling V6 in the Dak. It is presently available in the JGC where the 4.7L V8 hemi was showcased.

I would hope that it would get better than the 16-20MPG you suggest. The 4.7V8 hemi will get over 19 MPG in a 4X4 configuration. I just finished a 1000mile trip with an average of 19.39 MPG.
  • jl130661jl130661 Member Posts: 6
    any advice on all weather floor mats and seat covers? anyone used husky or catch-all floor mats or duragear seatcovers?
  • jmuquadjmuquad Member Posts: 1
    Scoutx:

I tracked my order, in May 2001, from the factory in Warren MI. to the rail terminal in Maryland. Your truck will likely take a different rail carrie than mine, or at least a different terminal (they used CSX for my truck.) If you have the VIN number, the rail carriers's web site will allow you to track the rail car. Updates were posted several times a day. The truck was then delivered via auto carrier from the rail terminal. This web site helped a lot

http://www.dakota-truck.net/order_status.html

Good luck!

Let us know how it goes.

• thesandmanthesandman Member Posts: 40
    We have over 24,000 miles with out a hitch.It's a 2000 SLT Quad with 4.7,auto,3.92 diff.,4x4 and 31.50 tires and wheel package.This truck is driven on a very tough dirt road daily.Right now there is 8" of new snow on this dirt road.It is a private road without government services.I change the oil every 3 months and use only Chevron fuel.We live at 5500 ft. and commute to Reno NV. at 4500ft. and get 15 to 16 MPG @ 65/70 MPH freeway.Great truck very pleased. No problems,can't say that about the 3 new Toyotas I've owned at this mileage point.We'll keep counting......
    jmuquad -

Thanks for the link to the Order Status web page!

All -

I picked-up my new 2002 Dakota Quad Cab yesterday, AND I LOVE IT!!! I have to say that I'm really impressed with the drivetrain:

- The 4.7L V8 is quiet & powerful.
    - The clutch is light.
    - The gearshift is smooth and nicely synchronized.
    - The gearshift is shorter and more agile than older models from the 1990's -- it's perfectly sized with the middle compartment which acts as an armrest for the stick.

This is a vast improvement over previous models which had true truck transmissions -- a long rugged gearshift and a somewhat clumsy clutch. They've really transformed the Dakota from a mid-sized pickup into a more refined SUV.
    As I was first driving the vehicle, I surprised myself a couple of times with the available power in 1st and 2nd gear -- the horsepower is quite generous. The 4.7L V8 is deep and throaty, but not obnoxious -- I gave a gal a ride in it, and she was thoroughly impressed.

Anyway, there was a problem that I encountered since I ordered it from the factory. The rear window was shattered during shipping! The Dodge dealership was really good cleaning up the vehicle about finding a temporary replacement for the window. I say temporary because the window matches in tint, but it has the electrical filaments for a rear window defroster, which I didn't order, so it's not functional. The dealer is ordering a normal rear window in the meantime at no additional charge (it comes out of the shipping company's pocket).
    I got the vehicle for factory invoice + $100 - $1000 rebate. I declined any additional warranties, and made out paying slightly over $27K after tax. This was the best deal I could find in the Central Texas area -- I configured the vehicle on the Dodge website:

http://www.4adodge.com/PriceEquip/zipcode?appStr=priceEquip&marketing_family=dakota&family=dakota

Then I submitted quote requests to a number of dealers in the area -- obviously, prices were higher in the metro areas, so the best deals were out there in small town dealerships -- like Maxwell Dodge in Taylor, Texas. You've gotta get the dealers bidding against each other in order to gain leverage in the buying process -- it makes a world of difference.

And yes, the Edmunds website ROCKS! Thanks for all the great car-hunting advice.
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Congratulations on your new truck!
    Sounds like a similar setup to mine. Yea, the truck has some get up and go in 1st & 2nd gear.
    Glad to hear the dealership is on the ball, and is helping you out with the rear window.
    Good luck,
    Bob
    Bob -

A funny thing happened to me yesterday. I decided that I kinda liked the the defroster lines in the back window -- don't ask me why. I called the dealership and told them not to worry about ordering a plain rear window as a replacement!

I really enjoy this vehicle -- it makes driving an absolute pleasure. How has your Dakota held-up for you?

ScoutX
    Kevin, is there any way that the rear window defroster could become active. Most wiring is already present in cars and trucks to facilitate installation of various options. It may be a simple connection, and perhaps the dealer would do that for you in lieu of re-installing a plain window glass. In the 2000 model, the rear window defroster/heated mirrors option was not available with the sliding glass. Or else I would have ordered it. Both items often come in handy. Talk to your dealer as they seem eager to make amends. Good luck with your new truck and enjoy it.

Bookitty
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    one of the Dealers you checked with? I haven't checked there lately, but they used to sell for $100 over invoice as standard practice. Except of course the PT Cruiser!
  • yank2yank2 Member Posts: 49
    I would like to thank you all for the help you gave me these past 2 years with my 2000 Quad . I liked my Quad except for the problems. DC was nice enough to give me a new 2002 1500 Ram Quad for no money even got some cash back. The Ram has been trouble free. The dealer even asked why I haven been back yet. I love the 4 wheel disk brakes and the built in oil filter drain funnel. The AC condenser has a separate fan and the gas mileage is better. I hope the good luck with this truck keep up. And good luck to you all with your trucks. Thanks again.
    Kevin,
    The truck has been great! Had for over a year now, just passed the 6300 mile mark.

Had one window regulator replaced, (bad upon delivery), 2 flat tires (stuff happens), had 2 recalls on it (4x4 transfer case reprogramming, and front seatbelt anchor bolt.

No other problems.

Great in the snow.

Gas mileage could be better, but, it is a sweet machine. The 4.7L V8 is nice and powerful. Gets out into traffic quickly.

Like bookitty mentioned, it may be possible to hook up the rear window defroster with a seperate switch. (Wish I had the heated mirrors and rear window defroster at times).

Hope you like your truck.
    Bob
  • gator72gator72 Member Posts: 115
    With the summer heat long gone, I haven't had to turn on the A/C. Now, when sitting at stop lights (engine warm), I notice the engine idles up and down between 500~550. When the A/C is on, the engine idles at about 750.

Dealer says its a common problem b/c everyone "overfills" when pumping gas. I quit doing that and the problem persists. Does anyone have any ideas or tips.

FYI: I have a 2001 QC SLT-Plus HD, 4.7L, with auto. tranny. I also have the large, folding, heated mirrors (they're great).

Another FYI: I dropped off for a while when Edmunds made it more difficult to find this board. I see that the traffic on this board has dropped off a lot since the change. Did the crowd go to another board or what?
    Hi Bill, welcome back. I'm sorry that I don't have an intelligent answer (or any other kind) for your perplexing problem with the idle, but we continue to have a bunch of interested and interesting posters. I recently posed that very same question, but responses indicated that it was only slowed down due to the holiday season. Many of the questions asked when this forum was at first created, have been answered so many times and there is much more information available now that this series of Dakotas has been on the market
    for a few years. Bill, I am certain that someone like mopar67 or bpeebles will be able to offer an explanation that will address your idle problem. Have a happy and safe holiday.

Bookitty
    any explanation as to how "overfilling" affects the idle??? Sounds strange to me.
    (gator72)
    Does it happen in "neutral" as well as in "drive"?
    Only when engine is at normal operating temp?

If your engine continues to do this after ample time is allowed for the ECU to "learn" the new operating conditions, (No AC, lower temps...etc) then to the dealer you should go.

DO NOT allow them to tell you it is somehow YOUR fault. If you have these symptoms AT ALL TIMES when idling... there is somthing amiss.

The 4.7L V8 hemi should idle so smooth that a glass of water on the engine will not even ripple.
    (OK... that may be exagerating a bit... but it IS smooth)
    They were obviously refering to the EES (EvaperativeEmmissionsSystem). By overfilling the gas tank, it is possible to suck raw fuel into a hose that is supposed to have just gas fumes in it.

This causes the myrid of sensors, solenoids, servos...etc to get confused. The ECU then would attempt to compensate by "dumping" this raw fuel into the intake manifold at idle.

I hope this simplified explanation is sufficent to explain how overfilling the gas tank COULD affect the idle quality.
  • furrydog1furrydog1 Member Posts: 35
    Picked up a '02 4.7, Auto, QC Sport last night! After being a silent observer to this forum for the last year and a half I can finally put in my 2 cents. I wanted the Toyota Double Cab b/c when we buy a car we keep it for a long time but my wife prevailed with the Dakota. (Can somebody reassure me that I made the right decision?)

The whole dealership process made me feel like I had been violated. The funniest part was how the sales people said what a great truck it is and then the Extended Warranty salesman asked me if I had read Consumer Reports and seen the terrible repair record of the Dakota (I had). My wife thought the whole process was amusing, but realized how important it is to be prepared when facing these people. Just a quick note for future buyers, I used carbuyingtips.com as a valuable resource before going into the dealer. Also, I found that carsdirect.com had a lower price than a similarly equipped Dakota with Edmunds TMV! (I actually used the carsdirect.com price as my final # and I actually got it. My wife and I walked out and the salesman came running after us and gave us what we wanted)
    Sorry about the long post but I guess I'm a little excited. One last thing...I will be buying a cap and probably a spray in liner, any ideas on websites or research places for these items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.
    CB, I think that you and your wife made a good choice (especially since your wife persisted) in that you bought a Dakota. I love mine (2000 Quad) and it is my second Dakota (1995) and i have been very satisfied and happy with them. Good luck with your truck and a happy and safe holiday to you and yours.

Bookitty

PS Do you know how to tell if a dealership person (sales/service) is lying? Look closely, and if their lips are moving: They're lying.
    I resemble that remark! I sold new and used cars for a few months then worked at a small used truck lot for about a yr. Two things I discovered, the Customers lie just as much as car salespeople do and you can't make it in sales if you are totally honest. Needless to say I'm no loger in sales. Happy Holidays y'all.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    If your experience resembles mine, (and I hope it does not) then plan on getting new rotors about every 8-9,000 miles. If and when the dealer does not want to work with you, go out and get some Raybestos or Powerslots and be done with it. Then fax a copy of your bill to Daimler Chrysler HQ in AUburn HIlls MI with a nasty but direct note. Personally I would like to take a you know what in the hat of the bozo who had any input whatsoever on the brakes and then pull that full hat down over his ears!
    Then buckle up and motor on!
    Not much traffic here lately. I buy a Dakota and everybody takes off.
    Anyway, tomorrow I am getting a Line-x spray in bedliner put in and then on Friday we'll get the bug shield put on. We still need to put a topper on but haven't decided who to go with. The only names I can come up with are Snug Top and Leer. Anybody have some advice on these things? (Brand preference, cost, is price negotiable, etc)
    So far so good, 600 miles and no problems. I told my wife that if we have any problems within the first 20,000 miles we're going to trade it in and get a Toyota. Hope that doesn't happen.
    CB, you may also want to look at A.R.E. I currently have their fiberglass lid (it is my second purchase as I had one on my '95 Dakota). The quality is there, and the paint match was perfect. Their site address is http://4are.com. They make various models of caps as well.

Bookitty

I have an ARE CH model cap on the truck. No problems with it.

See which brand caps are available in your area and then decide. I originally wanted a Snugtop but they were not available through the local cap dealers.

Also have a Bedrug bedliner in the truck. Real nice.

Now I'm looking for a ladder rack for the truck. Not many available for the Quad cab. There is the Renegade XT and one by Hauler Racks. Still waiting for a few more responses from manufacturers before deciding on one.
    Good luck,
    Bob
  • gator72gator72 Member Posts: 115
    Hey, BPebbles, Thanks for the response. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you before now. But, my wife and I took a "road trip" for Christmas.

The idle only fluxes while in "drive"; when stopped at a traffic light or stop sign; (engine is warmed up - normal operating temp.). (The A/C has been turned off since early November). Occasionally, it will hover around 600 rpm while idling in drive; but, that's the exception - not the rule.

For the 1st year, my 2001 SLT-Plus 4.7 WAS as smooth as glass; never felt any vibration - whether the A/C was engaged or not. Since the end of the 12th month it has been a different story.

The dealer/mechanic says I must be "overfilling" when refueling thereby "dumping" raw fuel into the hose that recovers fumes. If that is the case, I wonder why this problem just started after a year of refueling the same exact way?

This might be classified as a "dumb" question, but why the heck would the recovery hose be placed in such close proximity to the filler neck; almost guaranteeing an overflow???

FYI: Sometimes I'm guilty of "rounding up" to the next "5" or "0"; but, most of the time, when the auto-handle shuts off, I stop there.

One more point. I love my QC. There is nothing else on the market that approaches the looks, engines, size and quality of the Dakota Quad Cab. I bought my 2001 QC in October 2000; special ordered it with all the bells and whistles; heavy duty everything. If I had it to do all over again, I would still buy the QC!

THANKS AGAIN BPEEBLES!
  • kojak3kojak3 Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone have Dodge HQs address to write to someone at the top?
    I hope your dealer can help you out on this one... it is NOT normal for the idle to "hunt" as often as you suggest yours is doing.

I have found that my dealer ALWAYS trys to "blow me off" when I first approach them with a problem. Unfortunatly, it must be "Standard Operating Procedure" to tell the customers that it is their fault and see if they come back again later.

I have taken to insisting that they formally "log" my complaint in their computer each time. This way, there is a record of when I came to them with a problem. This seems to keep me from being "blown off" and they actually LOOK at my problem.

To answer your question;
    ..why the heck would the recovery hose be placed in such close proximity to the filler neck...

The vapor recovery is in the filler neck since this is the highest part of the gas tank.
    The filler neck should NEVER have raw fuel sitting in it. (completely full gas tank) Instead, the raw fuel only "passes thru" the filler neck on the way to the tank. The vapor-recovery hose is designed in such a way that raw fuel will not enter it under normal conditions.
    Well, I read the Consumer Reports reviews, read the posts by disgruntled Quad owners and even went against my best judgement and caved in to my wife and bought a Dodge. With 1000 miles on it I am having my first problems. I got a call from my wife at work and she couldn't get the truck started. It kept turning over but wouldn't start. I had had the same problem a couple of days ago but got it started after depressing the gas pedal half way down and cranking it for about 15 seconds straight. I had her call raodside assistance that Dodge offers and she was on hold for 3 HOURS and finally hung up as the work day was over. (Can you frickin' believe that!! What if she was stuck on the side of the road in a snowstorm, I was livid!) I ended up starting the truck by pushing the gas all the way to the floor again. The dealer can't fit me in for about a week and a half so I have to deal with this problem until then.
    What really upsets me is that the whole point of buying a new vehicle is for peace of mind for three years, and now I have to treat this vehicle like a used car that could break down at anytime.
    So last night for New Year's Eve, I end up taking out my '86 4Runner with 215K miles so we don't get stranded.
    Making I'm getting worked up and it is simply a minor adjustment, but it sure isn't a good way to start a relationship.
    Sorry about the long post again, but I sure need to vent. AHHHHHHH.
  • dakmaybedakmaybe Member Posts: 10
    Hey man, I can feel for you... I have been very interested in buying a 02 QC. I love the look of the truck and the spacious interior and the excellent handling. But I checked very carefully the ratings and reports and the comments of owners. I could not in good conscious buy a $23,000 truck that I can't feel I can rely on. The fricking rotors go very 7-9000 miles, and the all-around mysterious dodge ailments have scared the crap out of me. I will not lay that cash out unless I am very reasonably assured that I won't have to continually deal with the nasty dodge service people who repeatedly rape owners who bought their product in good faith. Seriously man, make the move and go with toyota. I'm leaning that way myself. I am passing on dodge.
  • toadmantoadman Member Posts: 39
    Sorry to hear about your problems with the QC. I also had been thinking of getting a QC last year. The styling is great as is the 4.7l engine but after reading all the reviews and hearing the complaints about mostly minor problems, I decided against the Dodge. (My brother-in-law just took his Durango in for brakes on a recall.) Anyway, I settled on the Toyota Double cab SR5 package with 4WD and have been very pleased with the vehicle to date. My wife who said she would never drive it is always driving it. I figured if I had bought the Dodge I would have wanted the extended warranty for peace of mind which would have brought it in at the same price as the Toyota. I hope the dealer works with you. You might find that after owning the QC with the larger interior and engine that "downsizing" to the DC is not to your liking.
  • surffla1surffla1 Member Posts: 52
    If there has been a brake recall on Durango, why not the Dakota? Aren't they basically the same vehicle? Anyone?
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    If it is a choice between the Dakota and the Toyota buy the Toyota. Now with that out of the way keep in mind that most of the posters have an had a problem with their vehicle and need to vent. Any vehicle, regardless of brand can have problems. Yes the domestics probably have a higher share. I have a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab. It is 2 wheel drive with the 4.7l v8 and the 5 speed manual. It has been back to the dealer once because of a faulty remote door opener which was replaced on the spot. I have been fortunate to have purchased my Dodge from a 5 star dealer who deserves the rating. I also have a Dodge dealer a mile from my home who is aspiring to 5 star status. They do the service on our 2 1999 Neons and all our warranty repairs. My parents both drive older Toyotas that they bought new. They have provided exceptional service although they have had parts break over the years. The Toyota dealer is adequate and they they are fair as they seem to overcharge everyone equally. I am on my second Dakota and have not had unusual problems with brake pads or rotors. I suspect that is the case with the majority of Dakota owners. So buy your Toyota and I hope you enjoy driving it as much as I enjoy My Quad. Rick
    Toadman, thanks for the sympathy. Iowabigguy, I am having second thoughts on the QC but I am definitely being realistic about this. One minor problem, which I think this is going to be, won't make me throw in the towel. Unfortunately I didn't buy the QC from a 5 Star dealer so I hope that isn't a problem. They too are striving to be a 5 Star dealer so maybe they will go out of there way to make this problem right.
    I also agree with you that this board is probably skewed towards disgruntled Dakota owners who need to vent over their problems but it seems that the Toyota site doesn't have as many unhappy owners griping. I hope that my future posts will be positive and will focus on the QC's nice ride, power and passenger room and not the little things that give it a bad name.
    I drop the QC off on Friday so I'll give an update on the diagnosis(the engine turns over but it won't start unless I push the gas pedal to the floor) and the dealer experience.
  • bobsyveebobsyvee Member Posts: 63
    All may be well at the Toyota love fest site you visited, but problems do exist. Visit tundrasolutions.com to get a real view of what's happening.
    CB, one of the reasons that one may see more problems is statistical given the greater activity of the Dakota's owner group and the number of sub topics. This is an extremely active site. I am on a Jeep Wrangler topic subscription as well, and have not seen a post in months (including any answer to a question I posed some months ago). I continue to be a happy Quad owner and think it's a great truck that meets my particular needs. Will I ever incur problems (other than a faulty air bag light)? I am certain that I will because it is only a product designed and manufactured by human hands. Do I love this truck? Darned right, I do!

Bookitty
This discussion has been closed.