Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    That might be hard to really say as taxes, license and dealers fees, etc. are essentially all over the place. So the agreed upon price might be a little cleaner to evaluate.
  • mzak1mzak1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply, the agreed price without the tax and other fees was 24,200.00.
    Not addressing the 700 miles issue, that is considered a GREAT price.
  • vincevw329vincevw329 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Do you know the current lease rates for a 2011 Jetta SE Auto Conv. 12,000/36?

Thanks in advance
  • slowryd76slowryd76 Member Posts: 1
    Just got my VW Golf and I'm loving it. I think I got a good deal, but I was curious what others are paying in other places.

For $24,500, I was able to get the 2-door, manual golf with Xenon headlights, Dynaudio and sunroof from a dealership in Houston. Is that about average? Wasn't sure how fuel prices have impacted the sticker prices lately.
  • todittodit Member Posts: 10
    Purchased 4/14/11 2011 Golf TDI 4dr DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, splashguards, floor mats and chrome exhaust tips, cold weather. Sticker $27,731, paid $25,805, with 3.19% @ 60 months. Car had been on the lot for 3 months and they had two others of the same color, so they really wanted to get rid of it. I stressed that I wanted a manual, but for the price, the DSG is just fine.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    What part of the USA did you buy your TDI?
  • todittodit Member Posts: 10
    VT
  • eltipo1smeltipo1sm Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Looking for info from anyone who has recently purchased a 2011 4-dr Golf TDI (preferably automatic, but if you bought manual, that info is fine too) in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Please respond with the following:

Final negotiated price (without tax):
    Transmission type:
    Additional options purchased (i.e. Dynaudio Advanced Sound, Rear Side Airbags, etc.)
    Dealer city

Thanks in advance!
  • morocco_molemorocco_mole Member Posts: 1
    Great thread. I'm shopping for a JSW TDI and just want to confirm that the only difference between PREMIUM PKG (P72) & WHEEL & SUNROOF PKG (P75) is just:

- touchscreen navigation system
    - media device interface (MDI) w/iPod cable

Trying to determine if the pricing difference is worth those 2 items.

Thanks in advance.
  • sgt253sgt253 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2011
    Hey all,
    I was quoted a price of $23,800.00 on an MSRP of $25,514.00. Used a variety of consumer shopping tools to determine "deal or no deal". I feel it is a fair price for the vehicle. VW's buy and lease rates are pretty high considering the market. Buy rate 3.99%. I am quoted a Money Factor of .00181 and 50% residual on 15k per year. I would welcome any and all comments. Regards.
    Car Man, what do you think?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello sgt253. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Jetta Sedan TDI is .00174. The residual value that you were quoted is low, too. VW Credit's current residual value for a 36 month, 15,000 mile per year lease of this car is 55%.

Having said that, the selling price that you were quoted for this car is outstanding...below dealer invoice on a car that has no cash incentives available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • singap0reanb0isingap0reanb0i Member Posts: 2
    is 21,995 a good deal for a 2010 jetta sportwagon or do you think I can get it down lower because its a 2010 model?
    If it is brand new, I would say it is a good buy. I don't think there is any changes in the Sportswagen from 2010 to 2011 MY.
  • singap0reanb0isingap0reanb0i Member Posts: 2
    it is a brand new from the dealership.

2010 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 4dr Auto SE PZEV SportWagen
    with navigation no sunroof

it is a 2.5 L gas engine.
    has there been any problems with that particular engine? or the car in general?
    Thanks a lot for your information CAR MAN .Found out the dealer was making profit on back end of the lease via the residual value. How is this possible? Can leasing companies set their own residual values? Also, how can a dealership apply tax credit(s) to my deal from another source? Is this legal? Do I have to worry about tax fraud?
    I thought it was the TDI. The engine is fine. I don't think you will get even EPA mileage they claim. That engine is not known for good mileage. That is the reason the dealer still has a 2010 on his lot. Everyone wants the diesel model. I think the ratio on the Sportswagen is 80% diesel sold. You will also take a bigger hit when you trade in with the gas engine. If you really like the car the price is probably pretty good.
    Indeed. Depending on the time frame, diesels will probably maintain higher value than the gassers. The 03 TDI Jetta vs the 03 1.8T Jetta (gasser) is an example. Just look on used cars Edmunds.com. The TDI was a $236 premium over the 1.8 T. FF to 2011 and the TDI is worth more. ( app 40%)
  • mark983mark983 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone bought a New Sportwagen TDI or Jetta sedan TDI in the Dallas/Ft Worth area lately? I am looking at buying soon, but my first discussion started out at MSRP. Apparently they aren't too flexible right now?? I don't know that for sure yet because I am waiting on the other dealer quotes, but I was hoping to get some feedback from someone that purchased a TDI in the Dallas area (or in Texas) lately. I would be willing to take a road trip for a better deal.
  • jmk421jmk421 Member Posts: 4
    Hello All. I'm new to this forum and I was able to read some of the posts but I wanted to throw out my current deal I'm working on. First off I'd like to say clearly this is a bad time of the year to be car shopping. It's like pulling teeth to even get a salesman to respond to my questions or get me into the dealership.

I was offered a 2011 Jetta TDI Automatic w/Nav (all the goodies including the chrome and dealer installed appearance package) for $24,500. They are currently working on trying to find the color I want but they got me some quotes. For a 36 month lease and nothing down (12K) they want $450/mo for 15k they want $465/mo. Now I've done some research and that seems really high even without money down.

Their financing wasn't much better and I have no idea how they got these numbers because he gave me the standard rates and I did the math with tax, registration, tags, and $99 dealer fee. He quoted me $515/mo for 60 months (I was given 4.39% standard rate).

I'm just wondering if I'm going nuts or if those numbers are real high...btw i'm in MD.
    Hey jmk421, Is the car your looking at the sportwagen? If so than the price of 24500 is great. The 4.39 rate is not. I bought a 2011 sportwagen Tdi with just no options for 24,200 with a rate of 1.9. I bought the car in early April.
    Hope the info helps.
  • jmk421jmk421 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    Nope it's the sedan. I think the price is good. I'm not liking the lease and finance offers. How do you like the sportwagon?
  • mnr49mnr49 Member Posts: 7
    I'd call Hamilton VW in New Jersey. They are a large volume dealer and had the best pricing of any dealers in the PA, MD, DE, NJ area. Your interest rate is negotiable--and seems quite high.
  • about2bjswabout2bjsw Member Posts: 6
    Haven't bought a new car for 12 yrs, very out of practice, could sure use feedback.

Lou KY area, I've narrowed to 2 cars I'd buy, but heavily leaning towards JSW TDI automatic transy totally loaded. Located exact color/options I wanted nearby. 2nd drive and talk today w/sales. I really wanted to talk bottomline $ but in a hurry after work and all I got was MSRP and printout of retail price sheet, which I already knew. They showed tiny $300 discount (I smirked), said low inventory on TDI, so premium price. Said when you're ready to make the deal, come back and we'll talk nitty gritty.

$26,095 is retail ($24,800 is est invoice I know from other book sources)
    $770 dest charge

They wrote out MSRP $29,650 less $300=$29,350 (including dest charge)
    (tagged on $60 license fee, $249.50 doc fee, tax $1601)
    $31.260.60 delivered. TOO HIGH

Went in thinking $1,500-2,000K under MSRP. Would that be a fair offer to shoot back? Been in research/hunt for 6 weeks now, ready to make deal and move on, but also want best deal.

See some getting $2,000-$2,696 under MSRP recently, in different parts of country; and I do believe inventory is getting tight on the 2011 JSW TDIs from research.

Hope to be driving one by weekend.
    I just looked at the inventory for Louisville area. Within a hundred miles there are 8 VW dealers with 42 JSW TDIs in stock. I would send an email to each of them with what you want. Some will respond, some will not. You can take the best deal to your dealer and say match it or I will go elsewhere. If you are trading and financing? That makes it easier for them to screw you over. If financing get an approval from your Credit Union if possible.

If you are willing to go 200 miles there are 23 dealers with over 100 vehicles available. Use the Edmunds inventory feature to narrow down to what you want.
    Many thanks. No financing, no trade (will sell 2000 Quest outright, good shape 138,000 20mpg, no issues, just ready to move up in mpg). Yes, keeping it bare for the deal. 2.7% credit union (in same building two offices down, their car books were helpful to compare $). Will check online inventory and do as you recommend.

After my post, I later found Truecar.com pricing for local area good price/avg price. Wasn't necessarily planning to use that service, but was helpful to see what they are going for. Does anyone know if their $ are on target? (sorry, maybe a competitor for edmunds).
    I would use any online source available to get the best price. Which dealer were you talking to? It is fine to name a dealer, just no salesman names, phone or email addresses.

And welcome to the forum. We can use all the diesel fans we can get to promote the fuel in this country. I see diesel and RUG are very close in price in your area. That is great. That makes the TDI an even better deal.
    Big fan of the JSW Tdi. The interior is great and I believe you get more for your money by going with the JSW. Try a test drive and compare. Good Luck.
    I test drove the Sportwagen the other night and liked it, but I am leaning towards the sedan now. I have a quote for the following:

Candy White w/ Titan Black interior. It has a sunroof and no navigation and manual transmission.
    MSRP is $24,414, Invoice is $23,344, and your sale price is $23,844 plus TT&L

Is that a fair price? Any feedback would be great.
    5 responses to my emails today to dealers. Three only willing to -$200 off MSRP, which I don't consider serious offer. This one is the most promising:

"Don't have the exact car you are looking for (JSW TDI automatic fully loaded). DO have with the Beige Int MSRP $28,850 which as you know carries an invoice price of $27,511. Obviously we would need to sell for invoice or above. We would prefer somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 over plus taxes (7%) and fees ($199). If we have to locate and trade for a car, we would still be able to sell it to you for $200 over plus whatever cost we incur to go get it (typically another $100 or so). The final price would depend on exactly how the car we get for you would be equipped."

$199 fee? (license and ?)
    $100 or so, to truck it in
    $270 in add'l 'l taxes, 1% more I'd have to pay than locallly
    Where is destination charge?

$200 over retail is better price than TrueCar local avg price shows, and same as Nat'l average currently selling. However the $270 extra taxes I'm not excited about, or I'd jump on it. Search indicates there are exact matches within about 85-150 miles of me. Offer above is 80 mi away.

Am I getting closer for the best price?

Oddly, just realized, I can't match up his $27,511 dealer invoice cost to a $28,850 MSRP. My $29,650 MSRP shows a base dealer invoice of $24,797+770+Prem Pkg (about $2K Invoice I'm guessing, if retail is $2550). That's $27,567 on my higher MSRP. So how could his be $27,511 with an MSRP that is $800 less?

I think it's way too late and too many #s, thanks for making it this far (if you did).
    For what it's worth $23,328 comes in as "good" nat'l cost on Truecar, that's only up about $28 on the avg sale of that sedan since January, but I honestly think it totally depends on the dealer and where you're at. But throw a larger net and you may save a bit more. It's not a terrible price.

I've seen that myself. Had to hit about 6 dealers today to even get one halfway decent quote on a JSW TDI automatic, rest were only $200-300 under MSRP. (I was told loaded JSW TDIs are low in inventory, and I would guess they are lower than other models.)

Good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback. I was giving a quote of $25400 on the JSW before I decided to pursue the sedan. It did not have navi or a sunroof. Another quote for a JSW with Navi and Sunroof was $27699 (both from a Houston dealer).

I have been told that the JSW's have more room to work with (if you can find a dealer willing to budge from MSRP) over the sedan. I am going expand my search area and see what I can come up with. Hopefully I will get my first TDI today!
  • dobrovoddobrovod Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2011
    Hi all,

I'm enjoying my Golf TDI so far with 1,200 miles in just over two weeks (mostly due to a recent move from an apartment to a house and a week-long visit from my mom). My only thoughts so far are should I have considered a wagon instead? I downgraded in size from a gas-guzzling mini-van but kind of miss the hauling space. I've searched some sites and can't find much information to realistically compare the two. I guess that I should note that I'm in Germany and love cruising at speeds between 75-93 mph.

Other than trunk space and tire size is there much difference between the German built Golf TDI and the NA built Jetta Sportwagen TDI? Do they both have the sport tuned suspension and handle about the same?

Also, has anyone had front and rear park assist installed at a dealer? I'm wondering if this is possible and what it cost. It would be so convenient in such tight spaces here.
    I did indeed get my first TDI this past Saturday and absolutely love it! The problem is so does my wife! I ended up with the same deal mentioned before but was able to have window tint thrown into the deal. Maybe not the best deal, but we're really happy with the car so far.
    Did you get the Golf GTD or the standard TDI. We cannot get the GTD over here in the USA. It has more HP and GTI suspension. In Germany you should be able to get the Golf Estate which is the same as our Jetta Sportswagen. I doubt the wagon would handle quite as well as the standard Golf with more than a foot longer.

Have fun with your new ride.
  • dobrovoddobrovod Member Posts: 15
    I got an American spec Golf TDI. I didn't want to pay the euro prices for the vehicle and want to be able to bring it back to the states if and when I get back. Even without the GTD HP and suspension, I feel that it does well on the autobahns.
    Here's the situation, I finally was able to nail a price for JSW TDI DSG (auto) prem pkg, white gold/black interior.

But dealer has to do trade. Finally got a TDI in today to trade, similar, but two dealerships who should have my car have not returned their calls today (not normal, since one they trade 5 cars a week with and they generally get answer quickly).

The other dealer who I wrote off last week for too high $, emailed agreeing to same price, same car. Think they are looking at same car. He just got a TDI today also to do trade with.

They have said within 200-250 miles. One dealer is local, the other is in Evansville about 150 miles from me.

Short of calling 50 dealers in a 200-mile radius, how do I determine WHICH DEALER might have my car so I can just make an offer directly? (I can't even find the white gold one online anymore either.) Is there an EASIER way for me to find out where this car is and just offer $ to seal the deal?

They are all saying very hard to get a dealer to make a trade on these now, hot/tight inventory. So I feel like I'm stranded hitchhiker with money stuck out t :confuse: and NO ONE will pick me up. Disguisted. I thought once we reached a $ figure agreement, that was the hard part....but it seems getting the car is. (If I would just take a non-loaded one, much easier....but I do want the loaded one for the $ I'm paying.)

tks for any recommendations!
  • anandchicagoanandchicago Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2011
    have been all over the place from civic to elantra and now landed into VV diesel camp (was outside US for past 3 years and have been driving a manual Diesel so comfortable). have a 100 mile commute so need higher mileage cars.

I am getting a quote for base jetta TDI manual tranny at invoice and roughly about 24K OTD (incl 7% T + TL). is this a good price for 2011.. not sure when 2012's come out, i think i can get around at least 23500..
    I would say that is good. The 2012 will not be changed. The 2012 Passat will be coming in soon and it will compete with the Jetta. It is bigger and rated a little better on mileage. If you can get a deal on the Sportswagen TDI, I would think it will hold its value better than the sedan. Same MPG would be my guess. Also the Golf may get slightly better mileage. The stick shift will have lower maintenance than the DSG. Though I don't think the manual will improve the mileage.
  • frugalscfrugalsc Member Posts: 24
    Been looking but there's only 2 Opera Red TDI premiums within a 75 mile radius of NYC. Why is that? Can I order one and if so how long is the wait?
  • frugalscfrugalsc Member Posts: 24
    Sorry should have been clearer. I'm talking about the 2012 Passat TDI Premium trim
    Typically there is greater demand and much less supply. Your local dealer can query the system to see if what you are specifically looking for IS in the system. They can make arrangements to do a "swap" or you can shop where you chose or you can actually order the next model year. The dealer will know the current estimated waiting times, which will vary due to a lot of variables.
  • bdewittbdewitt Member Posts: 13
    Anyone buy a Passat TDI recently? I am looking at a 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Sticker is 33,335. What price should I shoot for for a straight cash buy???
  • kerrietkerriet Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Ready to purchase a 2012 Jetta SportWagen TDI with sunroof and nav. Dealer's price is $300 below invoice, including all fees other than TTL.

Based on information I've seen elsewhere on the this model, price seems very good. Any input indicating otherwise would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to make this deal within the next 7 days.

Best
    You must not be in CA. Hard to get anything below MSRP here. I would jump on it. Welcome to the Forum and keep us posted on how you like the car.
  • kerrietkerriet Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Maryland. I drive a major corridor every day and see lots of TDIs, both sedans and wagons. Word from the dealer is that they sell very well and while aren't plentiful, he is able to get me the exact JSW I want within the week. I'll be back after the purchase to download the particulars, but with this dealership the internet price is $300 below invoice. We'll see what happens next week.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Last report the Sportswagen sales are 85% TDI. My wife's grandaughter loves hers. She drives about 30 miles one way to work, 3 days a week. Has not checked the mileage. She does not have to fill more than twice a month.
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    Just got my Reflex Silver Jetta TDI Premium with a manual transmission.

Final Price: 24200 (did not come with the TDI Protection package, just the car)
    Trade: 17300 for 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited with 18K miles
    Tags, Title: 165
    Missouri and City Tax: 436
    Total: 7501 OTD

First tank got 40mpg. Great car. Well worth the extra money to get a way better car than the Hyundai
  • danman8171danman8171 Member Posts: 1
    kerriet,

I am in NoVA and am looking to buy a 2012 Passat TDI. Which dealer is quoting you $300 below invoice (before TTL)? Thanks for you help.

Danman