Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the forum. Interesting experience. You should post over in Diesels & hybrids. Maybe save some others the pain of overpaying for a Prius when they can get a great little diesel.

ruking1, "Hybrids & Diesels: Deals or Duds?" #208, 14 Sep 2005 6:16 pm!make=CATS&model=Hybrid&ed_makeindex=.ef7fe1d
  • bruceleeccbruceleecc Member Posts: 11
    What do you think? A good price would be say... $18,000? With AWD $19,000?

I'm going to go check it out tonight, am curious if it is a returned lease car and why it was returned.

Any thoughts on whether to get an 04 vs. 05 (and save a few thousand) or a TDI vs. a 1.8L? I would get an auto either way, since I don't drive manuals.

Thanks.

Should add this is at a certified dealer.

Also, it's in California. Can I drive this guy around for a few months before I move to Chicago??
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    There is no AWD diesel in the US for starters. I don't know the Cali market. My coworker has a 2004 tdi w 35k miles and has been offered 21k here in TX. Unfortunatly the price of Diesel change by the moment. Personally id wait until they drop more. Lots of people buy them on a whim ,and don't like them ect and you can find a better deal. At least in my area. Btw gas has went from $3.33 here to $2.50 in the last week.Hope that trend continues.
    good luck,
    DL
    The TDI was a hoax, they mis-labeled it online and when i got to the dealer, no car. Ah well...
  • billmdbillmd Member Posts: 24
    I have been looking, researching and test driving TDI's for the past month. I've been laughed at, snickered at, etc by high and mighty VW sales people simply for asking to see a TDI. These things are not that valuable. Do the math. Unless you are driving a tremendous amount of miles they are not cost effective. I went out tonight and bought a fully loaded, sharp looking and comfortable Hyundai Sonata for $6000 less than the cheapest VW TDI that I priced. And I didn't have to wait 3 months to get it. In 60000 miles (5years) I will burn about 800 more gallons in the Sonata. Thats $2400 at $3 per gallon. I'm still $3600 to the good with the Sonata and I don't have to mess with Diesel or Canola Oil. This TDI thing is almost cultish.
    yeah but you own a hyundai sonata...

hm i was actually about to look at one. I mentioned that to the VW sales people and they just laughed at me. Seriously, they just started laughing. They didn't laugh when I said I just got back from the honda dealer.

But actually, i will still probably go look.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I'm not singing the praises of the TDI, but you've left resale value out of the equation... What is a 5-year old Sonata going to be worth, compared to a 5-year old TDI?

1) Depreciation

2) Financing

3) Maintenance

4) Insurance

5) Fuel

Those are the costs related to owning a car.... The only clear advantage the Sonata has over the VW is financing... as you would borrow less money to purchase it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You are correct about the "current" resale value of the TDI. I probably won't be trading for at least 5-7 years, maybe longer. By that time I doubt that VW will have a corner on the diesel or high mpg market. Its already happening. What will that do to the resale value then, who knows, but I will bet it won't be anything like it is now. The Sonata that I bought is warranted for 5yrs/60000 bumper to bumper and 10yr/100k drivetrain. That means a lot to me in addition to the safety rating, comfort etc. I'm not pushing the Hyundai brand here, that's just the direction that I went. I am saying that when you try to lower your driving costs that you have to look at more than just mpg.
  • widow1widow1 Member Posts: 39
    After an exhaustive search for a new 2005 MK IV VW Jetta TDI in a manual tranny in the lower 48 I turned to Canada. As Canadian VW dealers are prevented by VW from selling a new VW directly cross border to American buyers (they can sell you a used one), I had to find a Canadian intermediary to buy the vehicle for me. I found that intermediary in Superior Auto Sales, an independent dealer in the Buffalo, NY area. Discovered SAS, a Registered Importer listed on the NHTSA website, in a 2003 Edmunds article on Grey Market Cars from Canada. Thanks, Edmunds ! Superior does this by maintaining a leasing company in Ontario that purchases the car which is then resold to you. Canada still had manual tranny Jetta TDI wagons in 2005 models with a $1500 Canadian dollar ($1269 USD) rebate. There are,as well, 2006 MK IV Jetta TDI iwagons in Canada as VW in its infinite wisdom continues to import the wagon to Canada while the U.S.is cut off from Jetta wagon imports until the fall of 2006 when the MK V Jetta is produced in wagon form as a 2007 model with its own badging. For a 2005 model that MSRP'd for $22800 in the U.S. I was offered the car by Superior for $24900. That price includes the Provincial (8% in Ontario) and Federal Government tax (7%) that must be passed on and the $1500 factory rebate. If VW allowed me to buy a new Volkswagen directly,the Canadian tax would be refundable when I brought the car to the U.S. and paid my state sales tax. However, by this intermediary method, an American buyer must suffer double taxation. In addition, as the Jetta TDI wagon is made in Germany, I had to pay a 3 % U.S. Customs tax as it is not duty free under NAFTA as a Jetta TDI sedan would be because it is made in Puebla, Mexico (the new MK V Jetta wagon will be made in Mexico along with the sedan to avoid USD/Euro exchange rates which are not favorable to the American buyer). That came to another $700. So my cost came to $24900 + 700 import fee + $600 U.S. state sales tax for a car worth $22800 in the States. VW further complicates matters for the American buyer by refusing to issue the buyer a letter from the manufacturer that states the car is in compliance with U.S.emissions, safety, and environmental laws. You must go to a Registered Importer who provides proof that the car is in compliance. In the case of the VW that is confined to the speedo/odometer. The VW speedo registers in metric and in miles, but the odometer is metric. If a conversion is done, it must be at a franchised VW dealer to protect the warranty. Though VW has tried to make it impossible for an American to buy new in Canada, they did tell me they would honor the warranty if I could pull it off. I did not try to buy a duty free MK IV Jetta TDI sedan as the Canadian supply was dried up -the MK V sedan having arrived. I eventually passed on the deal. I also investigated buying the car in Mexico where it might have been cheaper, but could find no one like Superior with an avenue to purchase the car in Mexico. Furthermore, as in Canada, VW will not allow a Mexican VW dealer to sell a new car directly to an American.
    I agree you have to want a TDI. I don't think you can really compare the Sonata to a Jetta. The Jetta is safer, better handling, higher mileage, better braking, higher resale etc,etc, etc. I thought the Hyundai was bumper to bumper 10yr 100k mile warranty.

The VW dealer that I use for service is also the Hyundai dealer. They gave us a Hyundai as a loaner. I was VERY glad to get back into my Passat TDI. I cannot think of one thing I liked about the car, except it was a free loaner.

Pricing right now is too high for the TDI models. I called the dealer that I bought my Passat TDI from. I wanted a Beetle TDI. She told me that they were tough to get at MSRP. She offered to buy my Passat Wagon for what I paid in April. I told her I had better offers already. Timing is everything. Buying a high mileage car right now is bad in a sellers market. I'll wait till the price of gas drops. If it doesn't go down. I feel just like you, I can buy a lot of fuel for the difference between invoice and MSRP.
    I tried to do that with a Ford Ranger diesel from Brazil in 1999. It is such a hassle. Sounds like you got further than I did before you gave up. Hope you get what you want one of these days. Free trade seems to only benefit the big guys.
  • widow1widow1 Member Posts: 39
    I have decided to wait for the new generation MK V Golf TDI. The MK V Golf has been out in Europe since 2004 so hopefully all the first year glitches are gone unlike the situation with the MK V Jetta which was introduced here before it appeared in Europe. Hoping the TDI's fuel efficiency won't be as compromised as the new longer, wider, heavier, 16/17" tire clad Jetta's is. As far as buying in Canada, from what I gleaned from the 2003 Edmunds "Grey Market Cars" article (I hope Edmunds updates this article to reflect current conditions), there was a flurry of Americans buying in Canada a few years back because the exchange rate was so favorable. In addition, manufacturers "priced to market," i.e., because of the higher taxation in Canada and the lower wage scale prices were adjusted downward, particularly so with American cars. The Edmunds article cited a Montana car dealer who bought Dodge Caravans north of the 49th parallel for $19500. Here the vehicle was priced over $28000. Hondas could be had over there at a retail price that was below U.S. invoice. Honda tried to stop the American buying in Canada in 2003 by refusing to honor warranties on Canadian bought cars brought to the states. Other manufacturers followed suit. Not the case with VW which does not now price the cars lower in Canada and who will honor a new car warranty if you succeed by guile in getting it over the border.
    I have a friend who's worked for many years for GM's part supplier, Delphi, who explained to me how American car makers can "price to market." His plant could produce an A/C unit for a Chevy truck for $149; yet, if you went to a dealer's parts department you might be charged $339 for just the evaporator. So don't believe all the talk from the automakers that blame their woes primarily on the wage, pension, and health care costs extracted from them by the UAW. And you are right, gagrice, the free trade mania being pushed now by the Republicans benefits the big guys - the corporations and the wealthy - and is an assault on the working classes as Perot and Buchanan pointed out in the 1990s in their criticism of NAFTA. As for as auto makers like VW's prohibition of cross border sales of new vehicles, I believe there have been some lawsuits in the courts for some time now alleging monopolistic price fixing.
    I think I did compare a Sonata to a Jetta. Just because the Jetta is imported from Mexico does not make it safer ( 06 Sonata is 5 star Front AND Side impact ), nor better handling/ride as I have driven both nor better braking as Sonata has 4 wheel disc. The Jetta has better mileage, Sonata 28, Jetta 45 and the Jetta has a better resale right now. I have heard many owners complain about VW service, or lack thereof and the numerous "engine light" and other issues.

Sonata is US built and has 10 yr or 100000 mile drivetrain warranty and 5yr 60000 mile bumper to bumper........soooo, I agree. You have to really want a TDI.
  • dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Where are you finding bio here @ $1.75?
  • bogidubogidu Member Posts: 2
    What seems to be missing is the simple issue of economy. I drive a kia and get just under 300 miles to a tankful . . . . and I've been told I could get 600 with a tdi. I drive 100 miles roundtrip to work . . . . .it doesn't take much convincing despite the flaws.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    This really isn't a comparison forum between Kia and VW..

If you have specific Prices Paid or Buying Experiences related to a VW TDI model, feel free to post them... but, off -topic posts need to go elsewhere.. Use the "Browse By Vehicle tabs to the left to find the appropriate forum.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• koolkinkajoukoolkinkajou Member Posts: 15
    Some people are saying they areI no more will come out until the get the next model 5 in?
    I havent seen any in dealer inventory anywhere.
  • johannesjohannes Member Posts: 1
    I am surprised Superior charged you the Ontario taxes. For them / and Revenue Canada, it is a car for export so they can claim their 8 & 7 % back. Just a matter of paperwork. It might have been ea nice 15% extra margin! I just had a car exported, used www.fochleasing.com and did not have to pay any taxes. New car also (BMW). Just so that you know the next time.
  • cnfmsucnfmsu Member Posts: 6
    I would to know what I have to pay for a 06 Jatta TDI. The local deal quoted me $22,980(MSRP), + $499 (dealer fee) + tax and tag. For package#1, it is $1,600.
    Is this reasonable?
    Thanks in advance for any feedbacks and advices!
  • fowlefowle Member Posts: 4
    I would suggest that 499 dealer fee is silly high. I would approach another dealership and tell them you will pay MSRP but no extra fees beyond 50 bucks. Unless you really want the car from them. There is talk on other boards that VW of A is at its limit for orders for this year for TDi's in USA so you might want to make a decision soon.

PS MSRP is 23505 for TDi Package 1. They are quoting you a price above MSRP without Package 1 it appears.
    I forgot to metion that it is Auto-Transmission.
    Thanks you for the suggestions.
  • debskydebsky Member Posts: 4
    I had my name on a waiting list with a 100 dollar deposit. One TDI was suppose to come in at the end of November, Jetta with Package 2, AT. I went to talk to them today about price and it appears that they will sell only at 900 dollars over MSRP, which is somewhere around 28,000. I didn't even bother asking them for any other fees. Salesmen were jumping up all over saying how they wanted it. I will go where I can get a Honda for 416 over invoice in Ok. and I live in Nebraska.
  • leimleim Member Posts: 5
    I like to drive on dirt road in summer and due to snow in winter around here, I am thinking about trade-in my 03 Golf TDI for a Subaru Forester. Dealer gives me a trade-in price of $13500. I feel it is not enough. What are the opinions here? (My Golf has 48,600 miles, GLS 4 door, premium sunroof)

I am debating whether I should keep this great fuel saver or not.... :confuse:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Since your question is about trading in rather than purchasing this vehicle, I'm going to suggest that you visit our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Please look at the suggested information above the "post a message" box and list details about your vehicle, and someone should be able to help you determine whether trading in is a wise decision.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• leimleim Member Posts: 5
    thanks, Kirstie.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    I am on the hunt for an '06 TDI automatic, pkg 1 or pkg 2. I spoke to a VW dealer in the mid-Atlantic region...Maryland...that will sell it for $669. over their invoice, plus $99. "dealer fee." The only "catch" is that there are none in stock. A $500. deposit and your written purchase order is all they need. Expect a January or February delivery date, so patience is a virtue. This is a refreshing change from all other dealers I have spoken to, where MSRP for TDI is a fact of life. Now, are there any other dealers charging less than $669 over invoice?
  • ejam08ejam08 Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering the same thing. I'm looking for better mileage for a min. 80 mile a day commute and besides a Civic or Corolla the Golf TDI looks great. However, I went to our VW dealer yesterday to look at a Golf, while there I asked about the TDI engine and the salesman said VW wasn't sending anymore until the diesel fuel was cleaned up. Any knowledge of this would be helpful.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    Yes, they are still being sold. But, any TDI's that have landed...or are incoming soon, that may be it for the year. Orders being taken now...mid October, won't likely arrive until February 2006. This is what I was told by a Maryland dealer. The diesel fuel situation that the salesman mentioned doesn't make any sense to me. The cars are being delivered to Federal states. California emission states....NY, MA, CT, VT, ME, CA....forbid initial registration for 2006. The restriction for delivery to those states should end when low sulfer diesel fuel makes its debut and further refinements in emissions standards are met at the same time. You didn't say what state you live in. If you live in a Federal emissions state, then start shopping at another dealership. I don't believe that the answer he gave you was helpful. There are some Northeast dealerships that have the TDI's...with automatic tranny and package 2. I spoke to two of them in the last day or two. Price at the cheaper dealership was $25,971 for package 2 and auto.
    A little too steep for my blood, but for others might look attractive.
  • mitchcmitchc Member Posts: 39
    Paid MSRP on a Jetta TDI with Pkg 1 and DSG here in Texas. Was about 25.5K I believe. Ordered it two weeks after Katrina hit. I was actually in the market for a used one before the gas price surge, but after that, all the used ones (with auto tranny) in the state were pretty much sold out during that first weekend of September.

Tried to haggle with the dealer, but there was no movement. Everyone at the dealership wanted a TDI. There was some hysteria at that time. One lady was complaining that the Cabrio Beetle TDI someone else was test driving was "hers" as she wanted to buy it on the spot, right after testing it earlier (it was the last TDI left). The dealer wouldn't even throw in the free mats. Of course, I could have waited and saved a couple of bucks, but I will probably save $100 in gas by the end of the month as we put 250 miles on the vehicle per week. On the upside, didn't pay any fees. Just a small doc fee of about $100 to get the tags and sales tax. Besides, buying a Jetta diesel is not a purely economic decision.

Car was ordered early September with an arrival date of 24 October. Was actually delivered first week of October.

On my first tank of gas with mostly highway but also bumper to bumper traffic and short distance errands to various stores through stop lights & parking lots, etc., got 40 mpg. Big improvment over the 17 mpg I was getting in my SUV!
  • mitchcmitchc Member Posts: 39
    Error above. Actually paid $24,580 - exactly the MSRP as posted on edmunds (not 25.5K). Out the door was about 25,800 after taxes and tags, plus 500 deposit paid earlier when car was ordered. That was quite a surprise to me - that they hadn't inflated that MSRP number considerably with "add-ons" - seems to be a favorite tactic at toyota.
  • dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Ummmm....I do not believe that you had a first tank of 'gas' :D

I think you were part of the hysteria paying MSRP... :blush:
    I got this unbelievable deal last Friday from Brandon VW $22920 out of door (inc tax) for auto TDI, north sea green. There are 6 more TDIs.
    Check their web site and ask for the internet sales mgr.
    Good luck!
  • jimbrowncfhpjimbrowncfhp Member Posts: 3
    I received a similar deal on 2006 Jetta TDI w/ package 1 and additional heated seats, rubber floor and trunk mats for 22,905. I think there is more room for negotiation than they let on.

Good Luck :shades:
    That is a very good deal. Does the deal (TDI w/package 1) for $22,905 include the tax? I was looking for package 1. But there was nothing from that dealer.
    No, it is plus tax, but includes the dealer prep fee of 298
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    What is this dealer prep fee of 298 comprised of? Is it temporary Tag and title registration fee? If it is, its too high. Here in PA, I only paid $10 for temp tag.
    my price for TDI @22,920 was included everything (tax, dealer, temporary tag...) out of the door.
    :D
    what options did you have? ie: package 1 or no package etc.
  • oaktreeoaktree Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking of getting a TDI Golf. I need the hatch or I would get the Jetta. I really don't like the colors offered with the Golf but I am worried about ConsumerReports.com poor reliablity ratings of all VW's? I reviewed a website talk forum over Christmas time and there were many first time VW owners who were ditching their cars after 1 1/2 to 3 years because of maintenance costs? There were trading in for Toyotas and Hondas where to keep the warranty you didn't have to go through so much money in scheduled maintenance.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Just wait a few months... The new Volkswagen Golfs (completed redesigned) will be coming out shortly.

I, for one, will be test driving the new GTI as soon as I possibly can.

:P
  • glowplugrelayglowplugrelay Member Posts: 2
    Well since you got a good car it doesnt really matter that much if you paid a little bit more.

It should repay you in saved fuel.
  • wpenhallwpenhall Member Posts: 1
    Hello -

I'm quite close to finalizing a deal on a used TDI, but I wanted to get some input from some of the members here. I'm new to diesels, but not to VW's (currently own a '91 GTI). My wife and I are currently expecting, and we've decided that we really need a wagon. We both enjoy the style and driving feel of Passats, and the idea of saving some gas $$ by owning a diesel. So, the TDI seems a natural choice.

Obviously TDIs (particularly Passat wagons) are getting rather scarce right now, but after calling 25 dealers in a 50 mile radius of my home, I managed to find a single one: a CPO 2004 Passat TDI GLS wagon with 17k miles for $22.6k. It has leather(but no wood), ESP, power sunroof, rubber floormats, 15" wheels, and is in excellent condition cosmetically. We test drove it, loved it, and started negotiating. The dealer won't budge from $22.6k plus $100 in "dealer fees." He's holding it for us, and we have a week to decide.

Everything I've read suggests that this is probably a pretty great deal, but I would really appreciate some input from the community of experts.

Thanks!
  • silversbulletsilversbullet Member Posts: 3
    I stopped by our vw dealer car shopping in Aug of 2005 asked about the diesel car, drove a 2.5 package 2 Jetta liked the power seats on both front seats, rain sensing wipers, the auto dimming rearview mirror and the auto head lights. The wood trim was a nice. Liked the car so much I order the TDI Package 2 with Nav and automatic. I was told it would be just like the 2.5 I drove. I ordered the Jetta on Sept. 1 2005. I was looking forward to have a cd player the played MP3's. Keep checking with the dealer about delivery about the end of Nov. the schedule was March 27 2006. In January I found out all of the features I like had been dropped from the 2006 Model. I was just ready to cancel and order a prius and wait another six months for a car. The only feature lacking on the prius was the rain sensing wipers and power. I test drove the prius on monday and was ready to cancel the TDI on Tuesday. My TDI arrived that day. The dealer offered a discount for the lack of information about my car. I now have 800 miles on it and enjoy it. But since I put the Navigation system on the car I lost the ability to play MP3's T :( his has not been well documented and I think VW has droppped the ball on this car. I paid $1800 to have a top of the line radio/Nav system. I could by $40 cd player and get MP3 to work. If input in a 3.5 MM jack or Ipod system it disables the CD player. I did not expect the Nav system to be a negative on this car.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Just talked to a local VW dealer about a pkg 2 TDI Jetta, & he tells me the TDI will not be imported in model year 2007. I like the TDI, but am reconsidering purchasing something that might end up an orphan.
  • evenst4revenst4r Member Posts: 1
    Houston Volkswagon dealers are totally unprepared for dealing with customers; and have been given the impression that Volkswagon is unprepared to sell, market, or service cars in the USA. I had a Golf when I was in Norway; the car was excellent, and the dealers very customer oriented.
  • pupspups Member Posts: 2
    Am seriously thinking of purchasing 06 Beetle TDI, but have not been able to determine if these vehicles can take biodiesel fuel. Dealers unable to make claim. Can anyone tell me if they know whether of not the Beetle 06 Diesel can accept the fuel. If they can, where in Pinellas Co. Florida does one buy the fuel. I heard that Shell is selling the fuel. About how much does it cost per gal. Also, can anyone tell me if the Feds, or State will offer tax credits for these fuel efficient cars? A fast reply would be great as I am in negotiations with a dealer and want to close one way or another. has anyone info regarding the accurate miles per gallon the Beetle diesel 2006 actually gets highway/ city.
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    http://www.tdiclub.com/

Im sure you might get the answer here, but the TDI Club is your best place for answers.
    You might check out this link. BIO-Beetle of Hawaii just opened an office in LAX to rent VW Beetles running on 100% biodiesel. Also Kettle Chips in Portland is running a fleet of VW Beetles on their used cooking oil. I would say it is one of the most tested cars using Biodiesel. You should average 45 MPG with either the Manual or DSG transmission.

http://www.bio-beetle.com/
  • 6yearoldpassat6yearoldpassat Member Posts: 26
    2006 Silver TDI with Pkg2/XM and rear airbags. $25,400 including $500 owner loyalty.

They made a lousy offer on my 1998 Passat, but will sell the car at that price without the trade. It's ~ $1K below TMV for my area (Austin, TX).
  • fenris2fenris2 Member Posts: 31
    Afaik they take up to B5 (5% bio D) and you keep your warranty, more and you risk losing your warranty on fuel related components.

Apparently there have been a wide number of expensive warrenty claims VW has had to cough up for from bad biodiesel - both from bad commercial BD and poorly created home brew BD as well. So, they are far more restrictive here than they are in europe. Personally I would only use high levels of biodiesel if I made it myself, which I am considering, or if I were sure the source made good BD.

There is some debate on how biodiesel will work with the PD diesels (MY 2004+). Some are indeed doing so w/o problems, but the biggest number I have seen is 19K miles from that biodiesel beetle auto rental place mentioned earlier. So, a bit too early to tell for sure I guess

I do not think there are tax credits for the VW diesels as you need to have a clean emissions diesel to qualify. AFIAK the bluetech diesel from mercedes qualifies/will qualify, and (cheapest car I have seen it in) will be found in the jeep grand cheerokee sometime soon

As to future diesels? VW will hopefully quailify with the new line of common rail diesels they are suppose (rumor has it) to be bringing out across their product line in MY 2008.