Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I am going to try to test drive a TDI today when my car goes in the shop. I really think it could be a good car for me. I do mostly highly, so I should achieve some pretty good mileage. Also, I really want to feel out the torque in the car. That is what really attracted me to the 2.0T gas, it was so much fun! I plan to get the car in red, tint the windows a bit, and it will be one sharp looking car! I really like the DSG option. Though, I probably wouldn't use it all the time, but if it is higher quality it might be more of use, rather than the wanna be shift options on some cars. On them, I would rather not use the option. They claim the DSG is pretty darned smooth.

I will get a quote.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    While the host has reminded us this is a pricing thread, let us know your impressions about the car and of course pricing, if you happen to decide to start negotiations. This is an excellent road car. It is also good for highway commutes of a half an hour or more.

It was not too long ago (118,000 miles) I was debating the pluses and minuses about paying a 246. premium (over a 1.8 T gasser). Of course the 2009 app 1,000 premium was not a welcomed addition. However the IRS (/VW) has sweetened the deal with the $1,300 clean diesel tax CREDIT. So really it is app minus - 200 cheaper . Also the mpg is @ 25 combined vs 33 combined. In a highway commute mode, three drivers get a range of 39-45. Since it is in an "initial" break in stage till at least 10,000 miles (first oil change) I am more concerned with good/correct break in than good mpg. So a recent 2300 mile R/T with 3 people and trunk packed to the gills, in the herky jerky break in style yielded an over all 43.5 mpg.

While it is a DSG, I would have been just as happy with a 6 speed manual. Well, might have been happier with a manual ,as it will probably be cheaper to fix and last longer (old 2003 clutch life expectancy of 400,000 miles)
  • jktxjktx Member Posts: 2
    Hopefully this will help others in the market.

I recently purchased an 09 TDI... not my first VW. I paid 21,500 + TTL for it - manual, rear airbags, spoiler, sunroof, mats. I think this was a fairly decent price. I got a range of prices from different dealers (most starting at 1.5K below MSRP). I agonized over the whole car purchase ordeal for a while, and like many others, researched heavily. I debated between a TDI and a 2.5 VW. Even though everyone's numbers might be different, I still wound up with a 5 year ownership cost for the diesel being higher than a SE which I was considering (no options, manual for 17995). I decided to go for the diesel because it is "the right thing to do". I think over time too that the resale will be higher on the TDI. By the way, my first road trip (several hundred miles) yielded 44 mpg!
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I think that you made a good choice. Fuel prices are on the rise. There is a limited amount of oil left on the planet and supply and demand will kick in again at some point. Good luck with the TDI! :)
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Have any of you use Costco's Auto Buying Program to purchase you 2009 Jetta TDI? If so, how was the price and how much was it above or below invoice. I see that there is currently a $500 cash to dealer program from VW.
  • jktxjktx Member Posts: 2
    The dealer in the Costco program offered 1K below invoice on any TDI.....
    That's not bad. With the 2010 due out in another month or two I wonder if I can go a little lower. I've got six VW dealers within 45 minutes of my house but only one is part of the Costco program. I'm thinking of getting the Costco member price and seeing if any of the other dealers can beat it.
  • conger14conger14 Member Posts: 25
    I am trying to find out what the money factor and residuals are for leasing an 09 TDI (6M) for 36 months for 12k and 15 miles?

I want to make a purchase in a week or so but I first want to make sure I know what the rates are.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Volkswagen (VW) vehicle recently (within the past four months). Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, June 5, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tdifuntdifun Member Posts: 10
    First time poster.. read loads of posts regarding the TDI .. thanks to all those.

I purchesed a 09 TDI auto for $20,992 gray.... should pick it up in a week... can't wait.

I'll follow up with my reivew and MPG.
    That looks like a great price. Where did you get it and how much work did you have to do to get that price?
  • tdifuntdifun Member Posts: 10
    I didn't have to work at all.. got it at fitzgerald automall and having it shipped to my house. It was still cheaper then what I could get it where I lived ro though costco program. Their prices are on the internet and when I took it to my local dealer they just said no we can't match that price.
  • 2newonesfor092newonesfor09 Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up my white Jetta TDI with moonroof, automatic on June 2, 2009. Used the Costco Auto Program. Got it for $250 over invoice, plus dealer and VW had another $1000 off for end of month sale on TDI. I live in NY so with all cost plus tax, came out to Total $24949.64. (Had a trade in of $850 also on a '97 Civic) Thought the price was reasonable for the amount of car you get. Only thing I didn't like, was I had to travel over 30 miles to nearest participating Costco Auto dealership. My Jetta even has splash guards and ipod adapter (but reading other peoples review, I would have been better off with aux jack). Mileage great so far. Put on 200 miles already just to test it. Great pick up, but tends to slow down quickly when you take foot off the pedal.
  • mag225mag225 Member Posts: 3
    Going down today to check out a 2009.

I've been quoted $21,009 (email) which includes destination, plus $100 doc and $10 for temp tag.

It's a TDI in Salsa Red, 6 speed manual. Don't need/want sunroof (have a Mustang Convert). So pretty much no options.

The price almost seems to good. But I do have it in writing.

So your thoughts?

Thanks
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Your quoted price or $21,000 for a Jetta TDI without the roof, sounds pretty close to the bone for the dealer.

VW deals are so tough to find that I wish you would post the source of the offer, Dealership and Location. That's information everyone looking for one, needs.

The FitzMall guys are asking $ 21,702 internet price for a TDI w/o the roof, but with the DSG powertrain, an extra $900 or so.
    Thats the lowest price on their inventory today.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    I will second that. Why don't you post the name of the dealer and city? It sounds like a deal, better than FitzMall or Costco deal.
    Those are my thoughts. How about an amended (updated) message?
  • mag225mag225 Member Posts: 3
    Just got back from the dealer.

Paid $22,838 OTD price. Salsa Red with 6 speed manual.

That included the JIM package, tax (7%), doc fee and temp tag.

The dealer is VW of Shrewsbury in New Jersey. He had to get it from another dealer. So picking it up sometime next week.

The only other option I might get is the bluetooth package. Can't see spending $500 but I have aftermarket bluetooth in my other cars and would prefer to have a factory/dealer kit where I can use the steering wheel control for it.

Plus I should be getting a $1300 tax credit. Nice!
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    http://www.shrewsburymotors.com/vehicle/inventory/new?model=Jetta+Sedan

I just looked at the dealer's inventory and you must have caught them sleeping.

Their internet price posted on an 09' Jetta TDI with DSG. mats and liner, ipod adaptor and sunroof is $25,418. Sounds pretty much, MSRP to me.
  • nyyacenyyace Member Posts: 15
    Just picked up a Silver 09 Jetta TDI, 6 speed manual, Sunroof, Rubber Mats, Spolier, 17" rims. MSRP 25,098 selling price 22,998... no haggle, no problems.

I was given this price immediately, and it is $1800 LESS than edmunds what others are paying price and $1500 less than carsdirect selling price for the area.

They also gave me $500 MORE for my trade then Edmunds quoted. Anyone looking for a TDI I STRONGLY recommend Palisades VW in West Nyack, NY. It is located right over the Tappan Zee bridge, just north of NYC.
    Send me a message, and I can recommend a great salesman.

Dave
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The dealers around here almost always post MSRP on all their vehicles. Hoping some sucker will walk in and pay full price. You have to get aggressive to move them below Invoice. One dealer has $5000 over MSRP on one of the new VW Touareg TDI V6 models. They may be like the Sportwagen, that is harder to find than the Jetta Sedan TDI. Makes getting a good deal a bit more of a challenge.
  • acmaintaineracmaintainer Member Posts: 1
    Not to worry. The quick slow down is a design feature of the transmission.
    Indeed he should also try the sequential 6 speed +/- shift gate !!!
  • jettabuyer1jettabuyer1 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer says sticker price is 27,000 and will take 23,500. I did a builder online at vw.com and can build my own new one with more options for 26,488. How much do you think they should take off for the miles?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    $1500 to $1750 discount for the demo miles is what I'd ask for. At least $2500 UNDER invoice including the demo discount. There are a fair number of very low mileage used 09 TDI available so do a search on Autotrader and compare the used prices as a reference value.
    What advantage is there to getting the 17” rims? Are there any disadvantages?
    Disadvantage - at least $398 (invoice cost) more for 17'
    Disadvantage - more susceptible to damage from potholes and such
    Disadvantage - higher cost to replace 17' tires

Advantage - minor improvement in handling. Most people would not notice a difference.
    add to disadvantages-

4. 17 in tires do not last as long as 16 in stock tires
    5. loss of hp and torque
    6. lower fuel mileage
    7. loss of braking (takes longer to stop)
    Don't forget the rougher ride with the 17" tires. The only advantage to low profile is handling. The rest is all negative, unless you count looks as important. I can't see them when I am driving so could care less.

PS
    and all the things ruking added also.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Seems like that would adversely affect mpg but maybe save a little brakepad. But since mpg is the name of the game it seems strange that would be designed like that. There's probably a good reason that I'm not seeing, anybody know why?
    There are literally a host of unseen things about this 2009 VW Jetta TDI. An easy "no see em" is "no fuel draw" when no demand (let up on the throttle in this example) is made on the drive by wire accelerator pedal.
    Yes, I think most cars use less fuel(understand that the TDI may use even less) when you take your foot off the gas. I was just wondering why the transmission causes the car to slow down versus just coasting to a stop with no drag. There must be a good reason.
    The answer might be too far afield, given the topic. However the answer is it is a 6 speed DSG. How a DSG works can be googled or it is posted on the www.Edmunds.com "The Future of The Manual Transmission". It is an easy over ride: just put the shifter physically in neutral. However, why would you want to do that? (given no fuel draw and the sequential gear line up, etc.)
  • dedemaodedemao Member Posts: 2
    I received my 09 Jetta TDI Sedan with Sunroof, DSG and Bluetooth last night. I hope this helps people who are hesitant to purchase out of state. My dealer would not match the price locally. I paid 20995 plus 725.00 for shipping (Maryland to Phoenix!) at Fitzmall. Transaction was flawless. I noticed that their prices are higher now than when I secured my 2 weeks ago. Also try Penfed credit union rate was 3.99 for 60 months and they allow you to purchase a car anywhere. Good luck to all
    That was something I did not like with the Mercedes GL320 CDI. It has a 7 speed transmission. When you let off the gas it slows very fast and even downshifts. Was one reason I ended up with this gas guzzling Sequoia. The BMW X5 diesel with 6 speed does not do that. It may be computer design and programmable.
    That is at least $3346 below invoice. Dealer sold it for $1500 or more less than dealer cost, and that's even taking into consideration holdback and manfacturer support.
    What color did you get on your TDI?
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    I'm guessing that you are breaking your TDI in correctly by driving in sport mode. In sport mode, the transmission will downshift when you let off the accelerator. After the initial break in period, try the drive mode and you will notice that it coasts nicely. Coasting in neutral is illegal in most states. Enjoy your good buy.
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    Not particularily interested in biodiesel or saving the world- am interested in a competent, good handling car that happens to get pretty great fuel mileage. Drove one and it seemed very tight, was good handling, and had a nice interior and gearbox. Basically, I liked the car. I happen to live in CT, which exempts the TDI from sales tax because of it's mileage. So The federal government is issuing a 1300 tax credit and CT will save me 1200-1400, making the TDI probably cheaper than the gas Jetta. What am I missing, how is this not a no brainer?
    Ah, it is a no brainer. , It is best to stay with D2, and skip the biodiesel, B5 to B100. If I read the warranty correctly, it can be revoked past B5. This is sort of weird in that even with gassers, a bad tank (full) is never guaranteed anyway.

The regulatory agencies are really anti biodiesel despite the Federal mandate for alternative fuels. Not surprisingly also biodiesel @ 0 to 5 ppm is factorially cleaner than RUG to PUG @ 30 ppm . For arguments sake, RUG to PUG is 30 x to 6 x dirtier. They basically make the regulations so onerous as to border on economic insanity and then try to come across like an un bias referee. It is interesting to note that no PAST or current 50 state legal diesel is specified to run on bio diesel from say B6 to B100.

For that matter they are anti diesel, even as diesel is the backbone of the whole economic, logistical systems.
    That sounds like a great deal. California does nothing for those that buy fuel efficient vehicles. Tax on a new Jetta in CA will be about $2300. Makes buying used from an individual much more tempting. I would grab one while the discounts are being offered. Diesel on average is 30 cents cheaper than regular unleaded.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Diesel on average is 30 cents cheaper than regular unleaded.

Isn't that a summertime phenomenon?
    Works out real well as we take our driving vacations in the summer. The point being even when the price is lopsided in favor of RUG, the Jetta TDI is less expensive to drive than the gas version. People that own the new Jetta TDI and they are selling well are getting way over EPA estimates. The average TDI owner is getting over 40 MPG the average Jetta gasser is getting 25 MPG. That means when RUG is $3 per gallon diesel would have to be $4.14 per gallon to be equal. No time has diesel been that much more than RUG. Now they are reaping real benefits. Add to that a lot less CO2 being put out. Far less CO and dozens of other bad things in gasoline. I see the VW TDI as a complete winner for the environment.
  • dedemaodedemao Member Posts: 2
    Not sure of the dealers net cost but was given a copy of the invoice and your numbers are correct based on the invoice cost. The color I purchased was Candy White.
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    Unfortunately here in CT that was the spread last winter before the bottom fell out of gas prices. Diesel was running at least 50% more than RUG. Diesel becomes expensive in the winter because of the use of heating oil.
  • getwirednengetwirednen Member Posts: 44
    My dealer is offering to sell me a TDI Sportwagen for invoice. Asside from dealer holdback, are there any incentives that I am unaware of that I might be missing out on. This would be a special order, not vehicle on the lot or dealer transfer.
    The average TDI owner is getting over 40 MPG the average Jetta gasser is getting 25 MPG. That means when RUG is $3 per gallon diesel would have to be $4.14 per gallon to be equal. No time has diesel been that much more than RUG

I think you may be exaggerating some. Are you talking avgs? I don't think "the average TDI" averages over 40 mpg unless the average TDI owner only drives on the freeway and if that's the case then compare it to a gasser that does the same. I think most of the 2.5 gasser drivers get wll over the EPA hwy estimate on straight hwy trips. I'm all for explaining the attributes of D2 but lets keep it real.

Also, last winter the price of D2 was over a dollar more than RUG in Chicago area. I think I actually posted a comment about it on this forum. Can't remember if it was $1.14 more but darn close.
    Well I happen to know Gagrice does not have the 2009 VW Jetta TDI (JSW would be his pick if he did) but a range of 39 to 45 mpg is what we are getting and with the additional variable of... 4 drivers.

The car has only 6800 miles and it has been run in the herky jerky break in style, (as per TDI specific procedures per TDI web site) The GPS when it is... ON... says.... I did not exceed 90 mph.

A 2003 TDI Jetta gets 48-52 mpg in a daily commute. The worst was 44 mpg in 300 miles of stop and go Las Vegas downtown and strip driving with the A/C blasting (mere 102 degrees or so) 4 people in the vehicle. (taxicab ish) The best is 62 mpg.

I think all you have to do is the math. If you don't want to do the math, I have posted real world results on other thread sites. At the time, ( per mile driven) RUG cost 82% MORE. Prices of D2 RUG to PUG of course vary ALL the time, and in relationship to each other.
    You're right, I was referring to the 2009 Jetta TDI and I can see where using the earlier models would make the comparison closer. I guess the 2009 model is bringing the "average" down a bit.
    Lets see the 2009 has 55% more hp and 53% more torque... what would be the contrast on a gasser undergoing this same change /"upgrade"?

Since I drive both, I am a tad "sitting" on the fence. I like the fuel mileage of the 2003, but just LOVE the torque difference on the 2009. So for the power difference, (39-45 mpg vs 48-52 mpg is) not a bad compromise. I dare say, either is better than... most vehicles !!?? Either is better than "like model" gasser Jetta's.

The other truth is the 2009 is much more "BMW like" than the 2003. Part of this translates to the 2009 VW Jetta TDI... weighing more; ( +335 #'s).

A rule of thumb is 1 mpg per 100#'s (plus+ or minus-).

Right there structurally,minus - 3.35 mpg. So really, it is not so much the additional hp/torque, as the ...weight.
    Gee, let's see, I would expect the mpg to go down some on either. I didn't say there wasn't a good reason for the decrease in mpg just that it's there and will reduce the average mpg for the "average TDI driver".
    My average is 41.7 mpg. Yes it is a 2009. There is some highway miles in that average, however, the daily drive during the week is 18.7 miles each way with no highway and mix of speeds between 30 and 45 mph.

Mileage discusson is better suited to Jetta TDI general topic I suspect.

If you are able to obtain invoice cost on TDI wagon, that is an excellent price.