Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I'm all for explaining the attributes of D2 but lets keep it real.

Check 2009 Jetta TDI automatic. 20 owners reporting mileage. Average 40.3 MPG.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Thanks..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• johnm12501johnm12501 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at the TDI and am wondering if the $1300 good gas millage voucher will be in addition to the $4500. I've got a '99 Honda van I'd like to trade ... this would certainly sweeten the deal!
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Think of it as an $1,300 rebate with.... a lot of paper work. It may/may not apply to you. Here is a link to the IRS form 8910 link title. (aka rebate form :P )

Like everything the government does, there are conditions...( time limits, cut offs, situations, catches, procedures, inclusions, exclusions, updates, etc, etc., )

You can google IRS.gov site for the lastest information. Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit link title ... "Advanced Lean Burn Technology Vehicles Purchasers of advanced lean burn technology motor vehicles may claim a credit of $1,300 per vehicle."...
    The clunker program is different and not related. It is between the car dealer and the Feds. You bring in a clunker that qualifies and the dealer gives you $4500 toward your new higher mileage vehicle. The $1300 tax credit comes from the IRS if you meet the criteria. If you pay AMT you cannot get any tax credits. I would look for the dealers to try and steal most of that $4500 from poorly equipped buyers. Go in and make your deal. Then bring your clunker in for the final. If you pay MSRP for the Jetta TDI the dealer is gouging about $1300 of your clunker right there. Paying over invoice is just crazy. Supposedly the Clunker plan will be retroactive back to March. I think I would take a chance and make a deal now if it fits the current criteria. I would not count on the Honda being eligible. The Odyssey is rated 19 MPG which is not in the criteria mentioned in the bill. The vehicle has to get 18 MPG or less to qualify.
  • getwirednengetwirednen Member Posts: 44
    If people are reporting paying under invoice for a TDI Sportwagon, there must be a dealer incentive. Anyone know how much? I'm guessing about $1000. Thoughts?
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    09 Reflex silver, auto, sunroof, 17" Avignon wheels, rubber mats and trunk liner, I pod adapter, 84/60,000 extended. $7,800 trade in on my '03 TrailBlazer. OTD price including TTL was $21,271.00.
  • mag225mag225 Member Posts: 3
    "#483 of 526 Looking at 2009 TDI by mag225 Jun 06, 2009 (9:00 am)
    Going down today to check out a 2009.

I've been quoted $21,009 (email) which includes destination, plus $100 doc and $10 for temp tag.

It's a TDI in Salsa Red, 6 speed manual. Don't need/want sunroof (have a Mustang Convert). So pretty much no options.

The price almost seems to good. But I do have it in writing.

So your thoughts?

Thanks "

Just picked up the Jetta $22,837 OTD price.

BTW. It came with a free sunroof. Yep a free sunroof. The dealer and VW couldn't explain it as it's not on the window sticker.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    A free sunroof???? That saved you a $1,000. Wish they would have made that kind of mistake for me. Enjoy.
  • seekerbargainseekerbargain Member Posts: 11
    The $4500 Clunker plan will not be retractive. The way I read it, the plan starts when the law is enacted. Here's the section of the bill:

(A) GENERAL PERIOD OF ELIGIBILITY- A voucher issued under the Program shall be used only in connection with the purchase or qualifying lease of new fuel efficient automobiles that occur between--
    (i) the date of enactment of this Act; and
    (ii) the date that is 1 year after the date on which the regulations promulgated under subsection (d) are implemented.

Also, check the combined milage of your Clunker on the govt. website: fueleconomy dot gov.
    The older Odysseys got 19 mpg combined which as johnm suggests is 1 mpg too high to qualify. More recent year Odysseys get 18 mpg which would qualify for the voucher.

Keep in mind that if you take the $4500 voucher the vehicle has to go straight to the junk yard. So you are probably better off trading the Odyssey if it's worth more than $4500.

If you want to read the law go to the website house dot gov and look up HR2751, which from what I'm hearing will pass the Senate this week and go to the pres. for signature.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    So you are probably better off trading the Odyssey if it's worth more than $4500.

Plus you would save the sales tax on the trade-in amount in most states....over $400 in Chicago.
  • gasmangasman Member Posts: 16
    Hi nyyace,

What was the invoice price of your Jetta TDI?

Please send me the name and number of the salesman by pm to dwbonanza@aol.com.

Thanks
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Deductible sales tax is another reason to buy a new car now but I'd rather save the tax then deduct it.
  • vwgregvwgreg Member Posts: 22
    I am vw dealer. there in no manufacturer incentive on a tdi wagon. nearly all of them are sold before hitting the ground
    The 1300 is a federal income tax credit. the 4,500 is a cash voucher for trading an older and less efficient vehicle
  • mam567mam567 Member Posts: 2
    After much shopping around, I finally have a car on its way to me. It's the wagon, manual, blue graphite, with roof and 17" wheels. I would rather not have the 17" wheels, but I have looked for months for a manual wagon with a roof and feel lucky that the dealer was able to snag this one that just arrived at the port. I am getting it for $500 over invoice. My other option was to have a dealer do a trade with another dealer, but then someone else would have had to drive the car. This one will have no miles on it.

Anyone know how long it takes for a car to clear customs and make it to the dealer? I am so anxious to have it!

Someone a few posts ago recommended Palisades VW, and I second that, even though in the end, we are buying the car from our local dealer. It was Palisades that originally offered me this price. Another dealer that was very nice to deal with and that was willing to give the same price was Faulkner Ciocca in PA.
  • seekerbargainseekerbargain Member Posts: 11
    Fantastic deal! :) Sounds too good to be true!
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    quote:(I am vw dealer. there in no manufacturer incentive on a tdi wagon. nearly all of them are sold before hitting the ground)

My local dealer has had a couple wagons sitting on the lot now for at least a month.And he has at least a dozen sedans also just sitting....
  • philoslphilosl Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Dave:

Please kindly send me the name and the number of the salesman at philosli@gmail.com. Thank you!

Best regards,
    philos
  • brisket_loverbrisket_lover Member Posts: 7
    Where are you located? Im in southern MD and see that Fitz is only about 2 hours away. They have a wagon that looks close to what I want but it has 17 inch tires for 25,186.00.

TDI Wagon
    i am in florida. i can look in the vw vehicle locator and see what is near you.
    Thank you that would be great.
  • dice4dice4 Member Posts: 9
    would you mind discloseing the dealer. I contacted the dealer in maryland conserning your price and expressed that I felt there prices seem to be creeping up. They said that they could not find any record of this sale. I will be returning from overseas (panama) and will drive the jetta back to montana, After short visit with family/frends will relocate to surprise area. Retired so drive back will offer sightseeing opportunities for foreign born wife. Thanks
  • zambaqzambaq Member Posts: 14
    Yesterday I was finally able to travel to Langhorne, PA to take possession of the car I agreed to buy 3 weeks ago, and I really enjoyed the drive back to NYC! Details:

Color: Blue Graphite/Art Gray
    Options: DSG; Lip Spoiler; Mud Flaps
    Cash Price: $21,708
    Experience: Smooth and hassle-free, both via internet and in-person
    Initial Mileage: 38.8 mpg
    Post-Purchase Anxiety: That all the high-tech computerized/electronic gadgetry packed into it will go haywire as soon as the warranties expire!

I felt a slight twinge over not waiting for the more attractive (to me)2010 Golf TDI, but figured I'd have to wait until this time next year for the price to go below invoice, and I'd lose out on the sales tax deduction. I'd also thought of waiting until the "Cash for Clunkers" law went into effect, but I checked and discovered that my '95 Honda Odyssey was rated at 20 mpg and wouldn't qualify. C'est la vie!
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you did the research and it paid off. Keep us posted on your experience with your new car.
    looks like king vw in giathersburg has a few and russel vw in baltimore also.
    Well I decided I'm going to get the sedan. I just like the looks of it better and Fritz seems to be at least $1000 below invoice if not more on them. All Im waiting for is cash for clunkers to start.
  • lali3lali3 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone checked this out

If you closely see MSRP in ad is 23740 and their stock # says they are Automatic

I see 2 cars left in stock

http://www.koeppelvw.com/MiscPage_2
    http://www.koeppelvw.com/VehicleDetails/355282713
    http://www.koeppelvw.com/VehicleDetails/326252423

I live in PA so too far to checkit out, Looks like a good bargain

Folks in NYC has a great chance
  • torqueytorquey Member Posts: 1
    Congrats. Which dealer did you get it from? I've been looking for something similar. So far, best offer on first round is right around invoice.
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    Customs clearance does not take more than a day or two. Tdi Wagons come from Mexico by vessel, clear customs in Galveston and then on, via rail or car transporter to the final dealer. $ 500 over invoice is about an average - I got mine for invoice and told them to take the 17" wheels off. 16" wheels are fine, actually the car looks better with 16" wheels. Mine is pearl white with moonroof. I have added trailer hitch, hard wired Garmin GPS, added extra cig. power outlet between front seats. First thing was to tint windows (not sure why they don't come with tinted glass here in the South (FL). I am into 6 months (7500 miles) ownership. Dash board A/C outlet is an overkill - I just purchased a tray that will replace it. Here in FL, when A/C runs, the dash board A/C outlet fogs out front windshield from outside as it cools glass too much. You have to run half heat and A/C at the same time to eliminate this problem. Moon roof is nice but a bit too large because even with textile mesh closed the sun generates too much heat inside the car. I suggest a sun shield between moon roof and textile mesh in summer months. I cut a card board 29" x 47" covered with aluminum cooking foil and solved the problem.
  • joeyjoejoejoeyjoejoe Member Posts: 68
    I purchased a cargo van a few weeks ago dirt cheap and thought as a side note maybe it could be used for the cash for clunkers deal. Now I see that it has been passed, but requires the annual ownership, registration, and insuring of the trade-in vehicle to qualify. I was just doing the numbers in my head of that $4,500 credit, my normal vehicle trade-in for around $5,000, and then the current $1,300 diesel tax credit. That would be one solid deal. Especially if you were to get a TDI for the $18 and change described a couple posts above. Good luck!
  • mevander1mevander1 Member Posts: 43
    Sounds just like what a dealer would say:) Sorry Sparky, but dealers in my area (50 mile radius) have them on the lot.
    ok sport. i am giving the guy real market information. i am not even trying to see a car. so feel free to take your comments and stuff them under your tin foil helmet.
  • mam567mam567 Member Posts: 2
    Interesting to hear that customs only takes a short time. The dealer told me it could be several weeks. Maybe he just doesn't know when the shipment will arrive.

Glad to hear you got a good deal for your wagon. It took me a lot of work to get the deal I did. Most dealers I spoke to refused to budge from MSRP.

Did you have to pay the dealer to take off the 17" wheels? Did they just happen to have the 16" ones around?
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    I'm getting a TDI sedan and I would like to know where you got the tray to replace the dash A/C vent? Also, where are you mounting your Garmin?
  • karthur1karthur1 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking to purchase a Jetta 2009 TDI and am trying to figure out what I should pay and which warranty I should buy for it. I will put nearly 30,000 miles per year on it so the standard warranty will blow out in a matter of a 1.25 years. I need this car to at least last me 100,000 to 160,000 miles (to cover the 5 year financing).

Best warranty and cost/price from VW? Can't find much info on the official VW website.

Thanks,

Kris
    Looking to purchase and trying to determine between Bill Jacobs (Naperville) and Pugi (Downers Grove)... any experiences good/bad?

Thanks!
  • kab2kab2 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know the specifics of the dealer incentives going on right now? Something is going on but we can't quite figure it out....if you have the know, let me know ;)
    I normally go with Warranty Direct. It has worked out well for me
    there is $500 of dealer cash on the tdi sedan right now. nothing on the wagon. i would not expect any real incentives on the tdi anytine soon as sales are outpacing supply right now on all tdi.
  • sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    I'm getting for $26700 out the door w/o navigation, everything else is included, moonroof, alloy 17" wheels?

Do you guys think it will be a good deal or it can be a better?

I'm thinking to buy from sacramento, CA.

Any feedback will be appreciated?
    What was your out the door price? Who was the dealer? Please email me their website or phone number at dial1010usa@yahoo.com

thanks
    They have dealer cash going till June 30. I was quoted $25,500 for what sounds like the same vehicle. The key is knowing what promos they have going on. VW is very secretive about them! That is an automatic I am guessing? Good Luck let us know how it works out.
    Is $25,500 out the door? Will you please give me more details or link for your quote of $25.5k? Yes, it will be an automatic.
    All,

I have a LONG commute (126 miles roundtrip per day.. reverse commute in Chicago on 355/I80/I65S from Naperville to Merrillville, IN takes an 1hr 5 mins each way per day).

I have tried out a number of cars and while I enjoy the TDI's feel and great gas mileage will the seats be comfortable enough and will it be reliable enough to handle nearly 30,000 miles per year in Chicago?

The Acura handled very nice, smooth acceleration.. but only gets 29 mpg and requires premium fuel. It's obviously much more expensive (about 5k difference OTD after my trade-in).

If VW had great reliability the Jetta TDI would probably get the nod... I'm just not sure with all those miles I might pay more for the Jetta with all the maintenance costs in the long-run.

I looked at the Civic and the seats were too uncomfortable.

So for those who have long commutes in their TDIs... how are the seats? how is it for a long-commuter car?

Thanks,

Kris Arthur
    Sorry I guess I didn't note your "out the door". The price I told you was just the base price. It didn't include tax or destination (you should not be paying for any other fees). Did your price include that? What was your MSRP price? Mine was 27,073.
    We too have an Acura now and are planning to purchase a Jetta TDI next month. Our other vehicle is a Lexus and it is impossible to beat that kind of comfort!
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    King Arthur,
    I have commuted bostonorlando many times with TDI,
    and bostoncalifornia twice. Most recently with 06 jetta TDI.
    The seats are good for long commutes, but there are cars with better seats, probably all for significantly more $.
    Probably the VW/optional package-2/lumbar seats better for such, however those are optioned in the current models (the 09/010 do share much with the 06).
    I've never ridden in acura anything for long commutes, so can't compare directly
    to TSX, only to early-1990s honda civics... 06 jetta tdi seats are WAY better than the early 1990s civic-seats, probably no surprise there.
    sincerely,
    Lancelot
    $26700 is out the door, including tax title and all other misc fees.

Is it a good deal or anyone can beat it?

The color will be black, everthing except navigation, 17" alloy wheels & automatic.