Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• kab2kab2 Member Posts: 9
    Actually I think that is pretty good. Maybe the dealer cash is more than I suspected!
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    I just picked up a new Jetta TDI sedan, black on black with DSG, 17" wheels, and mat kit for $22,500 before TT&L. The price was $1,000 below invoice and I got it at Livingston VW in Los Angeles.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Way to go. And do not forget you can write off the sales tax on your Federal Income tax and of course the $1300 tax credit should be yours as well. Good to see they are dealing in So CA on these babies.
  • sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    congratulations!!! Is it automatic? what is your out the door price?
  • bradnjessbradnjess Member Posts: 3
    Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster...

Thanks to everyone for the time you take to post good info; this forum helped me get a good deal on my new TDI in Vancouver, WA / Portland, OR. Dealers in the area were quoting $600 to $800 below invoice. I paid $500 below invoice to buy at a dealer close to my home. The Hannah VW dealer in Vancouver would not give me a price quote, but I was able to research and come up with a solid offer that I could stick to and the whole price negotiation took 15 minutes (no trade, pre-approved at my credit union). I paid taxes and title, but no other fees of any kind. In every other way, Hannah was superb; I just wish that they would give up a no nonsense price to start with.

My new ride is is Blue Graphite with sunroof, protection kit and premium IPOD adapter. I am REEAAALLLY enjoying it! Thanks again all!
    Hannah VW was one I contacted in 2005. They quoted over MSRP for the Passat TDI Wagon and I did not pursue them. They need to learn about internet shoppers. We don't kick tires. We go for the best deal without using a drop of gas or diesel.

I am glad you got a great deal. And hope the TDI is just what you hoped for.
    Now I want to take it to the local AQMD/CARB office and show those idiots just how clean it is. It's nice to see D2 at $0.25 less than RUG at my local Exxon and Shell stations.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    I wish the RUG was .25 cheaper here. Last week when I fueled up (for the first time) diesel was 4 cents a gallon MORE than RUG.
  • tdifuntdifun Member Posts: 10
    Over here in NM, we are about the same as RUG. If that stays the same, I’ll be very happy as the performance and mileage are huge improvements over any gas engine. Even if D2 goes over the cost of premium it would still be worth it in my opinion.
    Its so nice to get on the freeway with 4 people with the A/C on full and have no worries! I test drove a few other gas cars and they could not even come close to this performance. Now it is not sport car performance I’m talking about, but everyday driving.
    I've had my TDI for a week and I love the power on the freeway. Part of my drive to work is up hill and I love the kick when I blow by the Civic's, Elantra's and other smaller gasers.
    Anyone have any insight on how this car is with kids (space and safety wise)?
    Anyone know what the incentives are this month? Last month was dealer cash....is that still going on?
  • mickster2mickster2 Member Posts: 7
    Is there a break in period for a Jetta TDI sportwagen? I'd like to buy the car in Denver and drive it a few days later to Los Angeles.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Yes there is. It is a minimum of 10,000 miles and from 10,000 to app 60,000 miles. Denver to Los Angeles is not that far. ;)
  • mwclaremwclare Member Posts: 2
    I was recently quoted a price of $25,600 for a 2009 Jetta TDI with DSG, sunroof, bluetooth, and Navigation in the Chicagoland area. According to Edmunds, it is about $100 below invoice. Does this sound like a reasonable price or should I try to negotiate further? Thanks!
    Is this the sedan or wagon? I just got the TDI sedan with DSG, 17" wheels and mat kit for $22,500 which was $1,000 below invoice. I bought the car at the end of June while VW was giving $500 cash to dealers on TDI sedans but I don't know if that program is still going on. BTW, I live in Los Angeles.
  • mwclaremwclare Member Posts: 2
    It's for the sedan in Candy White. I was thinking I could do better than $100 under invoice, but I wasn't sure since the demand seems to be picking up quite a bit lately. Thanks for the info.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    25,600 and that includes NAV. I say jump on it.
    I paid $25,000 for an '09 TDI with DSG, 17" wheels, sunroof, that worthless Ipod adaptor and rubber mats. The NAV package is a $1990 option. Sounds like a good price to me.
    Last month they had dealer cash going. Anyone know what's going on for this month? Anyone bought one in July yet?
  • donna388donna388 Member Posts: 69
    :D

Don't bank on anything for the TDIs. :(

Generally, when VW does this, they are trying to move their less desireable models.

The TDIs are a hot item, especially the TDI Sportwagen and if you'll
    recall, those low interest loans offered earlier excluded the TDIs.

:)
    It looks like VW dropped the $500 cash to dealers program on the TDI's.
  • vwgregvwgreg Member Posts: 22
    you are correct. there are almost no vw incentives on tdi now. i would not expect any at all in july/aug. i will also expect most dealers to be a zero inventory on them within a month due to the increased sales pressure from the cash for clunkers program and the current price of diesel fuel.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    VW is riding a sales wave these days and obviously are not cutting any deals as the 09 inventory is almost dried up.
    Even the big East Coast, 'Benchmark' online dealer Fitzmall is getting harder to deal with these days, an identical TDI model I was tracking has had a price increase of almost $3,000 over a month ago. (there goes your "Cash for Clunkers" advantage.

Thing is, the 2010's are due to hit the lots this fall with several improvements over the current Jetta.
    ( Like, steering wheel controls for the Sportwagon and standard Bluetooth in all, even my $10,000 cheaper, Nissan Versa has that )

GearHead Gossip has tracked some info that the Jetta TDI is going to get a full, frame up overhaul for 2011.

If you can wait, I'd wait.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    GearHead Gossip has tracked some info that the Jetta TDI is going to get a full, frame up overhaul for 2011.

If you can wait, I'd wait.

Be prepared for the possibility of a 2011 "VW Camcord" Jetta as VW has said they will "Americanize" the Jetta. Expect VW style and technology in a larger vehicle with number and dumber handling. VW is at the start of a drive to triple their sales in the US.

If I had to wait until 2011 to buy a diesel VW, a Golf or Polo would likely be my choice.

If the past is any indicator of the future, best deals on 2010 Jetta will be available from February thru April of 2010 for the 2010 model year.
    vw is building a plant in tennessee now that will produce a sedan specifically aimed at the US buyer. it is expected to target the accord/camry/altima buyer and will likely be priced under them. there is also some wild speculation about a vw truck coming out of this plant. i dont see that happening.
    I got my TDI end of June. The color is platinum grey with everything except navigation, with 17" alloy wheels and even Michelin tires for $24k and out the door was 27k. I paid $299 for window tinting.

I tired even costco program and the dealer was not able to beat this price so I sent costco surevey and got call from them as well.

This is the best I got I even tried going 100 miles away from my place.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    "Be prepared for the possibility of a 2011 "VW Camcord" Jetta as VW has said they will "Americanize" the Jetta."

Sounds like a good plan to me. Right now the VW Jetta is sized along with the Toyota Corolla and Hyundai Elantra, etc.

Without getting into the 'Diesel Thing', I imagine that many new car shoppers just don't get the premium prices and skimpy VW warranties on a car in that size range.
    Lots of VW owners have complained about the cramped space in the back seat of the Jetta, while the competition has made their cars with less trunk space and better 'people' space.

The Jetta has been slowly growing bigger over the years, but so has the rest of the compacts in that catagory. Breaking up into the Camry/Accord size and replacing the Jetta size with the 'Polo' makes good sense.
    It's not even that big of a jump, and if nothing else it might get Honda back to the drawing board on their own version of their well recieved EURO Accord TDI, for the N. American market.

From a car buyers point of view, I say, bring it on, the more TDI's to chose from the better.
    what was the sticker price?
    The sticker price was $26,250
  • johnnybumpsjohnnybumps Member Posts: 2
    Here in MD, I live minutes from Fitzmall and have tried 14 or so other dealers looking for a TDI DSG sportwagon. The only one willing to sell below MFG suggested window sticker price is a dealer (many miles away) selling a stripped model without sunroof, etc.
    I am so mad, I hope they all go out of business! The whole idea of supply and demand makes me want to buy a bicycle (if work were not so far).
  • anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    I live in Georgia. Went to the dealer on Saturday. They have only 2 Sportwagen TDIs in stock. They will not get anymore until the 2010's arrive. So they're unlikely to deal on cars that are in high demand, with months to go before new stock arrives.
    I think that VW was caught with their pants down on the Sportswagen TDI. When they sell 80% diesel in a given model it throws them all off. They did not think the American buyer was that savvy. Hopefully they catch up with demand soon. I have thought of one but am hoping they will put the same engine in the Tiguan. I want more ground clearance.
  • dice4dice4 Member Posts: 9
    I agree!. "If they dont deal dont buy', we dont make our living buying cars, they depend on sales. Fitzmall got greedy and did not keep their word. They still think they are in control, at least for me if this keeps up they all can control who will be the last employee to turn off the lights! I can set on the cash payment.
  • johnnybumpsjohnnybumps Member Posts: 2
    Good for you!
    When I called the Annapolis VW dealer, they were only quoting me prices 2K over MSRP. They said these were popular models and would not go any lower, so I purchased at another dealer.
  • soonercatsoonercat Member Posts: 48
    Thanks to our legislative leaders the VW Jetta TDI if off the table until the clunkers crap program runs out of money (our money). Rumor has it that massive amounts of clunker folks get the full $4,500 off the TDI due to 10+ gain. that is nice. The real market for them was below invoice in June now MSRP plus $2500. Sweet to know my tax dollars are being used to keep me from buying a car and to fill VW dealers pockets with cash.
    thoughts-- :mad:
  • karthur1karthur1 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased mine in the first of July but the dealer had incentives.. this was at Pugi in Chicagoland... I got mine for invoice minus about $1000... and I had a trade-in. It probably depends on location as I tried other dealers and they weren't close to that price. It was a 2009 Jetta TDI without NAV but with everything else.

Kris
  • natureboy2natureboy2 Member Posts: 7
    Kris... bravo.

can you give me the name and location of the Chicago dealership and sales man. Here in MI the dealerships are Omnipotent and are not willing to sell any of their stock at below MSRP, not even for the options. I can't condone to such behavior and will not buy from such dealers. It's insane how they claim the car is SO HOT that they will just sit on it, even the new 2010 -they will take your holding payment without giving you a price for the car. WOW! Guess they must be making tons of cash....
    thanks

Shai
    I guess I need to check my manual if I can use bio diesel in my TDI. Anyone knows what is the difference in diesel and bio?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    The answer is yes. Up to B5 has been certified by VWA to use to "maintain" the meager warranty of 3 years 36,000 miles and whatever the drive and power train warranties are.

You might want to do a google for some of the differences and similarities. I personally have avoided using bio diesel for 128,000 miles sans one tank of B5 that I took from Chevron on the road. While VW engines have been shown to run on WVO to B100 (modifications of course). The fact of the matter is they are designed and specified to run on D2 and with 51 cetane ratings.

I personally think diesel engines should be designed to specifically run on BIODIESEL, B5 to B100 and from first generation to latest generation. I am however aware that I might hold a VERY minority opinion.
  • mdl3r1mdl3r1 Member Posts: 21
    Many of us intended/hoped/figured on using biodiesel on 2009 Jetta TDI's...only to find out that it does not really work out very well. The issue is the new DPF-Diesel Particulate Filter with the 2009 emissions system, etc.
    A guy named Jason Burroughs bought a 2009 Jetta TDI with the express purpose of using only b100 from the beginning and showing viability for B100 on the 09 Jetta TDI. Sadly, the CEL(check engine light) came on and other issues came up, mainly showing the issue related to the emissions/DPF.
    Jason detailed out his experiences on a forum; just google his name and Jetta TDI 2009 biodiesel and you're sure to hit it..
    The Jetta does run on b100, and that's not the real issue; the extra dilution of engine oil by the extra biodiesel seeping into the crankcase and the extra damage that may happen to the engine, a topic highly techinical and debatable/still being debated, is another issue. Some have suggested just changing oil more often than the mfg recommeneded 10k miles, but the CEL light coming on and having the dealer reset it, is the problem issue, again, set off by the DPF.
    And, anything beyond B5 then VW seeks to deny responsibility and rescind warranty, which is another highly debated issue....
    That's all I'll say so as not to hijack this thread...only to give a brief synopsis and asnwer to sohna99 and ruking.. :-)
  • jdeluca81jdeluca81 Member Posts: 9
    Hello All,

I'm preparing to return my leased 2006 VW Passat in the coming weeks and would like to negotiate on a VW Jetta TDI.

I've priced one out on the site for $27,339 including the following options:
    Automatic Transmission
    Chrome Mirror Caps and Rear Accent Strip
    Power Sunroof and Air Deflector
    DVD Navigation
    Rear Side Airbags
    Mat Kit
    Trunk Liner

I am planning to start negotiations @ 24,605 (90% of list). Thoughts and experiences? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks for any feedback.
    you have zero chance at getting a jetta tdi at $1,500 below invoice.
    perhaps ask yourself why a dealership would want that deal.
    I think it's well understood that $1,500 below invoice is a stretch.

If I can score half of that, I'd be satisfied. I would say that its realistic given the current economic climate to expect a below invoice purchase. Wouldn't you?
    You may get a good price on the Jetta Sedan TDI. I know there are about 50 available here at San Diego dealers. If you are looking at the Sportwagen, I doubt you get down to invoice. Your best bet is trading in an old clunker if you have one..
    I hear you. I know they're doing that $500 cash rebate for clunkers, but I don't have one to trade.

Was hoping to learn of additional dealer holdbacks that could get me to the negotiating table around or even below invoice.

Here in Atlanta there's over 150 Jettas in stock at the Top 3 VW Dealers and I'd be willing to hike out to an additional 2 if they were pricing competitively.
    absolutely not. the shortest deal that i would take is about $300 over invoice when i have inventory which i do not have now.
    there is no earthly reason why a dealer would take below invoice on a tdi.
    You really know how to reinforce a stereotype!
    if it is a bad stereotype to expact to make 3% profit on a viable item then i plead guilty.
    It's a lot easier to make said profits if you're eloquent and respectful in your educated response.

I got what I needed regardless, but the experience sucked. Kind of like buying a car!

Thanks.
    If you only make 3% on an invoice sale, something is wrong. The last vehicle I bought was exactly $10,000 under MSRP and a bit more than $5000 under Invoice. I suspect the Toyota dealer still made something. That was in October 2007 on a loaded Sequoia Limited 4X4. In 2005 I bought a new Passat TDI Wagon in Portland OR for $1500 under Invoice. That was a great buy as I sold it 13 months later and made $3000 in CA. It was never licensed in CA so no killer sales tax was added. If there are 150 Jetta TDI's on dealers lots it is a buyers market. Though I am sure the C4C program will suck those up pretty darn fast.