Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• ydwydw Member Posts: 14
    Thanks--I saw yours and Paul's postings over on VWvortex. Actually my dealer didn't promise me anything because I hadn't put in my order yet when we spoke last weekend, and he knew that I am in no rush to get a quick delivery. I should have no reason to doubt what he said, having known his manager and been their customer for many years. Prior to his revelation about the suspension of the custom orders for the 2010 Jettas he was also estimating a three-month delivery time. The rest is speculation (or being "uninformed") on my part. There are some differences in the market delivery options that we can order for the Jetta in WI compared with what you can order for the Jetta in CA (combination options involving the wing or lip spoilers, not talking about the PZEV), and I don't know why there is such a regional difference. Maybe there is also a regional difference in when VW is accepting custom orders? I haven't yet checked with my dealer about the 2010 prices which were supposedly released today. Will try to do that tomorrow, if I get around to calling him.
  • staceyrstaceyr Member Posts: 18
    I was rather surprised that there were so few options, colors and interior choices on the '10 JSW compared to other models and brands. VW must think American TDI buyers are "meat and potatoes" people who only care about MPG. I'm giving up a lot of bells and whistles (not to mention 166 horsepower) going from a Lexus IS350 as my everyday driver. Still, even without them the TDI pushes all the right buttons for me!
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    It might appear that way, but truly it is more like:

1. cost cutting
    2. massive improvements to overall quality
    3. moving in the direction of greater reliability (long over due)
    4. moving in the direction of even greater durability (as you know the rust through warranty has always been at 12 years, which drawfs almost all oems
  • th26th26 Member Posts: 6
    First, I also thank you for your service as well.

Second, take a step back and look at the overall picture. Many manufacturers and their dealers are offering additional incentives as well as aggressive pricing on 2009 models. In fact, Fitzgerals is aggressively pricing the Passatt. However, in the case of the TDI they have chosen to dramatically increase the price. Would you argue that a grocer has the right to increase the price of food when a severe storm is approaching just because demand has increased? Would you argue that if the government offered a $4,500 incentive to those with substandard housing the owner of rental property should increase rents of decent properties to absorb the benefit directed toward renters? The "clunker" program is similiarly directed to those with substandard transportation. It was not directed to greedy dealers.
  • annabellafitzannabellafitz Member Posts: 1
    First of all you are missing the big picture the fact remains that there are no VW Jetta TDI left. Fitzgerald's has been sold out for over a week now. Now back to common economics it is called supply and demand. There is no supply and lots of demand. So when the supply was large but the demand was down Fitzgerald wholesaled the Jetta TDI, and now we have none left, and many people got a great car for less then invoice
  • natureboy2natureboy2 Member Posts: 7
    Unfortunately you are correct. All supply and demand, and yes a grocery store can increase the prices on food and supplies of newly aquired items, not ones already in the store. I had to travel out of the way (70miles) to get my 2009 TDI for a respectable price, and only because the dealer had quite a few left. Local dealers who were out or only had a few in stock, where behaving omnipotent and rude. capitalism at its best - greed wins! :mad:
  • Gatorfan123Gatorfan123 Member Posts: 37
    I posted previously on how every dealer in my area (Florida) wanted MSRP for the 2009 TDI. The Sarasota dealer told me they were going to keep the $500 VW rebate and told me that was their additional profit. Furthermore, whenever I asked, all the dealers told me the 2010 would not arrive until October the earliest. However, the dealer in Ocala, All Pro Imports told me that the 2010's were sitting at the port and would be released as soon as the 2009 inventory was depleted. True to their word, I just got a call tell me the 2010's were coming in this week. In fact every dealer who told me no 2010's until October, e-mailed me telling 2010's were coming in this week. Furthermore, all dealers seem to be willing to negotiate the price again.

Although I have decided to purchase another car, I just wanted to give a shout out to All Pro Imports for at least being honest with me.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Gatorfan, your post puts to bed a lot of speculation and confusion about the "when" for the 2010 Jettas.
    The C4C program should put VW out of stock, but it seems that the Ford Focus, and Toyota Corolla are the 2 top favorites of the C4C shoppers and VW Jetta TDI doesn't make it in the top 10 cars being sold to this market...(probably because the VW lots are bare.)
    I noticed Fitzmall moving up the TDI prices about a month ago, and also couldn't help noticing that the people on this forum are seriously PO'ed about it. Hasn't stopped them from selling out of stock, but it does seem like really poor PR for future $ales.

(I'm waiting to see the all new 2011Jetta TDI)

Our only hope for some TDI price break is that other car builders can figure out the emissions secrets and give VW some competition soon.
    I have read posts from Subaru owners complaining that they want the TDI engine, but not in a VW thanks, Ford has the popular diesel Focus all over the planet except North America, Honda is sitting on a great 2.2 ltr diesel in an Accord that just missed the cut on emissions that would be an instant hit with Honda fans.
    Rumor has it that Hyundai is working on a TDI type engine for their Elantra.

Diesel should be the 50 mpg 'alternative' fuel that will get us through the next few years of trial and error Hybrids (see Chevy Volt) and other oddball, underpowered overpriced experiments.

Right now my only sensible option is to buy a used 2006 Jetta TDI and run it until the market gives me some options. (Til then I will have to be happy with my 2 diesel tractors.)
  • th26th26 Member Posts: 6
    Great to hear from Fitzgerald and their short term view of Sales 101 (e.g., "we will screw you whenever we can" aka "supply and demand"). You got a brief reprieve from the slump in sales. It will soon be over and the economic reality of the 2009/2010/2011 market will return...but will your customers?

That my friend is the BIG PICTURE.
    Those wandering the differences between 09 and 10, the big differences I saw were the radio and the steering wheel.

If anyone is interested, All Pro Imports in Ocala, Florida has the car on their lot. I know it is against forum rules to post the name of anyone, but the person who has been helpful to me is Dustin.
    Has anyone seen the pricing these first 2010's? Shouldn't the pricing be on the window sticker...even if the "official" prices have not been released?

If you spot one these '10s, please post the MSRP pricing...and pictures too!
    The window sticker was $24,985. The only options I remember was iPod cable and DSG transmission. Bluetooth is now a standard option.
    Thanks. I figure that's about a $340 increase over the '09 with iPod, Bluetooth and DSG. If true that's about what I expected. I hope VW doesn't up the JSW price any more than that. They might be tempted to due to it's increase in demand recently.
    Thanks. Tempting, but I still want the utility of the Sportwagen. Still no official 2010 Jetta pricing though. Odd considering the first cars are starting to show up at dealers. Too bad mine won't be along for a couple more months.
  • oli1oli1 Member Posts: 33
    What dealer did you purchase at?
    If you are looking for a 2010 Jetta TDI, there are 2 of them for sale on eBay right now.

The pictures show them still covered in plastic right off the truck.

I guess the dealer wants to get them out there before the C4C program ends tomorrow.
  • oli1oli1 Member Posts: 33
    I saw those pics and they are the '09 models, unless I am mistaken and they(VW) is still going with the chrome grill for 2010
    The chrome grill remains on 2010 Jetta TDI. On the TDI Sportswagen it is been said that the chrome grill will be replaced. But I don't think anyone knows for sure that the grill will be gone.
  • escape6escape6 Member Posts: 7
    I live in Canada and understand the Golf will get a TDI wagon for 2010 and that Jetta wagon disappears. However when I go to the build a car option on the VW. ca website there is no wagon available for either the golf or jetta. The only wagon available is the PASSAT and under TDI the only vehicle listed was a Tiguan. Any tips from the list. Looking around the 2009s still available here they are mostly black or ugly grey with sunroofs. I am looking for white TDI wagon with auto and no sunroof.

Rocky
  • ydwydw Member Posts: 14
    The 2010 models have been gradually appearing on VW's Canadian website over the past week. I recall the 2010 Jetta appeared a few days after the 2010 Passat, for example. So keep checking the website for the Sportwagen . . .
  • bwgordonbwgordon Member Posts: 1
    Stevens Creek VW, San Jose CA has two 2010s on the lot. I drove one of them (DSG) - didn't perceive much difference from the 2009, some cosmetic differences is all, nothing that would change my mind one way or another.
    Rocky, Your dream Jetta might be on eBay today.

All the ones I have seen on the lots have that "Panorama" roof that turns the car into a boiling goldfish bowl in the summer heat.
    I have read reports of owners trying to devise a way to keep the heat out of the vehicle by fitting a cardboard covered with tinfoil under the glass.
    One of the differences in the 2010's Sportwagons is supposed to be the removal of that roof antenna for the radio.

FYI, You might want to watch the bidding on this white 2009 SportWagon 6 speed, on eBay..a few of this guys "Salvage" repaired cars have been imported into Canada with no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-VW-JETTA-TDI-WAGON-6SP-SHIFT-NO-RESERVE-BLUE- - TECH_W0QQitemZ230370817815QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item35a32bb717&- - _trksid=p4506.c0.m245
  • auromedauromed Member Posts: 1
    Well... After reading here about the supply trickling in and checking around the local dealerships for new cars coming in, I ended up buying a 2010 Jetta TDI yesterday. I either wanted the Platinum Grey or the Graphite Blue, and most everything around here was either red or black. The first dealership had a blue one, wouldn't give much for my trade and wouldn't budge off MSRP.

I ended up selling my trade to Carmax, which was surprisingly easy, quick and they gave me a great offer. Cash in hand... I called around to the other dealers in the area and found one that had a Grey MT and a Grey DSG. I opted for the DSG, and while not the great deals from a couple months ago, got it for a little over $220 off MSRP. (Sticker was 24,895... Paid 24,667). Used the PenFed 3.9% financing, which was also very simple... The dealership pretty much just had me call penfed, ask for a verification of the loan to be faxed over, and I was done.

While I was there, the dealership (Leith) got 2 more TDI sedans off the truck, but had sold all the ones actually on the lot.

Anyway... That's my story... just figured I'd share.
  • bolekbolek Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for sharing your story. I (my wife and I) share the same as you color preference. We Have one gray Prius already so the Jetta must be the
    Graphite Blue...

In NY/NJ the situation is pretty much same. By now all the dealers are getting in the TDI sedans regularly. I got two of them commit to the MSRP-$300 and the other one Invoice+$500 which is quite close as I've been told that the markup between Invoice and MSRP is only about 1K. The Invoice+500 offer I got through the AAA buying program. We are holding off for the Sportswagens and then will make a decision...
  • texasnightowltexasnightowl Member Posts: 31
    ahh...I went by Leith tonight and test drove a White TDI w/DSG. I was impressed. But I still want to drive a stick before I commit to a DSG. The sales guy is supposed to call me when they get one in. I really liked it overall, especially when compared to the Toyota's I've already test driven (Matrix, Prius, and RAV4). Right now, the TDI Jetta and the Mazda 3 are at the top of my list and the price difference is pretty significant between the two...in favor of the Mazda.
  • murfemurfe Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have any knowledge as to what the dealers in St. Louis are asking for the TDI with auto? I am not interested in buying add on options . Edmunds list the 2010 at $24,070 including destination for the 2010. Any info would be appreciated
    If it were not for 3/4 drivers wanting a automatic (DSG), my .02 cents would be for the 6 spd stick.

To make more apples to apples, etc. comparisons, to be fair the other vehicles are not in the same ballpark for a host of reasons. One that is would be VW Jetta gaseers in either the DSG/6spd manual.
  • texasnightowltexasnightowl Member Posts: 31
    yep, you're correct...the Toyo's and the Mazda are not in the same category really as the TDI...but they're all I've driven so far.

re: stick or DSG...all I've ever owned/been primary driver of have been sticks. I've never owned any sort of automatic. I'm not necessarily against them, it's just the way things went that I always bought a stick.

As much as I love the idea of the TDI, there are a couple of reasons against for me...1 is that it's at the very top of my range (actually a bit over), 2 high demand so little movement on price, 3 it would take a long time to make up the price difference given I only average about 12k miles a year, 4 I don't really know how much maintenance would cost for the VW but I'm assuming a bit expensive.

I actually did start to think about considering the SE gasser. It's amazing with all the talk about gas mileage and high efficiency cars that once you really start shopping, there are only a few of them and everything else is stuck in the mid 20 mpg range. Especially if you want to avoid a Corolla/Civic/Focus.

(Note: I'm looking at replacing my 2000 V6 Camaro - 5 speed. I've loved it, but there is *no* space to carry anything. I got it literally in June 2000 and I'm only now at 97k miles. Plus repair expenses are starting to mount.)
    "... Especially if you want to avoid a Corolla/Civic/Focus"...

Indeed these are the mileage leaders in the price ranges that I think you are talking about. The Mazda 3 seems to be the ticket, EXCEPT the epa and real world mileage ranges are not that impressive. On the other hand that is probably one reason why the car is so cool.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    This morning I was at my VW dealer for some minor service on my 2009 Jetta TDI and while waiting, I walked around the lot and noticed that they had a few 2010 Jetta TDI sedans and wagons. What I found interesting was that each one had a second sticker that stated: Los Angeles Market Adjustment - $2,500.00. When I bought my 2009 at the end of June I paid $1,000 below invoice and there was no second "market adjustment" sticker.

BTW, none of the 2010 gassers had a "market adjustment" sticker.
    You saw 2010 SportWagens on the lot? Did you happen to jot down the MSRP? I've yet to hear pricing for a 2010 JSW yet and I'm hoping the increase is no more than the sedan's was (around $360). I have on on order at MSRP (Orange Co., CA) so some dealers aren't being greedy. I guess we'll see how long that "market adjustment" lasts once the pipeline is refilled from Cash for Clunkers.
    Well that sounds way cool. Especially if they didn't mark it up by 2,500 to 5,000 so they could give you a LA LA LAND -2,500 adjustment.

If I recall correctly, NorCA dealers started off selling 2009 Jetta TDI's @ 2,000 over MSRP (September 2008)
  • jswtdifanjswtdifan Member Posts: 9
    What dealership? I don't think the first JSW sportwagens arrive until the end of this week at the port.
    It was Livingston VW in Woodland Hills. I only saw one JSW. There was no factory sticker just the "market adjustment" sticker and it was covered in plastic.
  • jswtdifanjswtdifan Member Posts: 9
    I just spoke with a salesman at Livingston VW in Woodland Hills. They will not have any 2010 JSW TDI's until October. They only have 2010 TDI sedans and no TDI JSW for 2009 or 2010 at this time.
    Any word on the rumor that the 2010 JSW may be offered only in diesel?
    Ah yes, the dreaded "Side Sticker Scam" the VW dealer in Great Falls has been pulling that one on people for the past couple of years.

They just put any number they think the traffic will bear and put it next to the factory MSRP and give you a song and dance about how much dealer prep they need to do, how hard it is to take all the plastic off, bla bla bla, all with a straight face.

Montana has no State Sales Tax so the Stealership think they have the captive market to screw the customer out of it anyway. There's plenty of profit for everybody at MSRP, this Side Sticker crap is just a blatant rip off.

I hope customers tell the dealerships about Sex and Travel on their way out. :mad:
  • murfemurfe Member Posts: 9
    I was in st. louis over the weekend and stopped at Suntrup VW to view the 2010 TDI and they had about 6 of them on their lot. All of them had a market adjustment and other additional options that the dealer added , such as pinstriping, paint sealant, fabric protection, etc. that added about $3000 to the MSRP.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Are all these crazy VW dealers hoping for another C4C handout? This is a recession. They will be lucky to sell at MSRP. I hope they rot on the lot. It reminds me of Honda and the Accord Hybrid they were so proud of. They had $3000 added to the one I looked at and would not let anyone test drive it. Well those were a Big Bomb for Honda. Hopefully a few greedy dealers do not destroy the market for the VW TDIs.
    Well it was a wagon and it was a TDI. I didn't talk to anyone but without the factory sticker I would guess that it was not for sale at this time.
    I also think (from my 2009 VW shopping experiences anyway) that while the local dealership started out @ above MSRP (2,000 over) , they really "got with the program" so to speak as the 2009 model year sales effort progressed. This is despite a HUGE interest in the TDI option.

This is probably a cruising straight and level @30,000 foot, 20/20 hind sight statement. I think the VW system thought the 2009 goal of 25% diesel was probably VERY aggressive. So I think they just gave the green light to do what it reasonably took to hit those goals. For the JSW, while I do not know the exact TDI target %, even they acknowledged they were more than pleased and did not fore see an 81% JSW TDI scenario. This probably caused a logistic hiccup in providing 56% more TDI engines and drive trains. So I read in passing while the 2009 goal was 25%, they look almost slam dunk to post app 30% or 20% better. I also read in the same article they leaped out and set 40% TDI targets for 2010 MY.
    If VW sells 40% diesel, you can bet Honda and some of the others will get off the dime and bring there own.
    I think that VW might see that 40% diesel target and execution as a two edged sword. :blush:

On the other hand, if the factors coalesce, why would they not want to EXCEED 40% ? Say like 50-55%?.

That 81% TDI JSW (Jetta Station Wagon) figure must have really jazzed them, especially if the target was 25% !?
    I am not sure what this will ultimately mean, but it would seem the buzz would annoint the 2009 JSW TDI an almost instant "CLASSIC".

There is some serious talk the 2010 JSW (wagon) will be cosmetically changed on the road to being rebadged a GOLF (Jettas are merely a variant of "GOLF" in European markets) and the model year after (2011) will be "Americanized". 2011 is supposed to be slated for a "design change?" aka MK (6) VI (vs current MK V (5)) Lastly if the Chattanogga, TN plant is finished in time, "assembled in AMERICA". I am sure they will have articles describing the operative terms to all of this.
    I fully expect that the Jetta SportWagen will lose the Jetta name after this year. As the 2010 front end is now a copy of the MkVI Golf while the sedan retains the '09 front clip for it's final model year before it's redesign in 2011, I'd guess that JSW will become either a Golf SportWagen or just "SportWagen" after 2010.

Call it what you want...I can't wait to pick up my ordered '10 TDI SportWagen!
    And we are eager to hear how well you like it.
    Indeed !!

This might also serve to make the 2009 & 2010 JSW, two of the hottest used car models. (starting in 2010 on up (for the 2009 obviously) )
    I think the biggest advantage of the 2010 SportWagons is the fact that VW has put the steering wheel controls back on them.

I just bought my Jetta TDI this week but it's a 2006 71,000 miles White with beige leather, rear deck spoiler, wood dash trim kit and Package 2 options. :shades:
    Did you get the manual or DSG? In any case, congrads !