Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    The vihicle is in Houston Texas, I live in Alberta...real handy.

Will probably "fly down and drive it home", a typical eBay car story. Probably take me about 5 days of steady driving to do it, so if there is anything that can go wrong, it probably will on the trip home.

This guys buys Slavage cars and rebuilds them. He has sold a pile of VW's over the past few years and everybody seems to think he is a VW Guru, one guy in Canada has brought back 2 of his projects for his personal use, and loves them.

The cars selected for his re-builds are all repaired with new VW OEM metal and parts, no bondo work. He stays away from anything that has flood or frame damage.

It's a big leap of faith I know, but this particular DSG car and options is exactly what I wanted, so who cares if the front end tin, bumper, hood, radiatior and headlights are all brand new?

Time and the drive 2500 miles home will tell.

Wish me Luck! :shades:
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    It sounds like a GREAT road trip !! All the best !! These TDI's are literally tailor made for road trips as you outline !!
  • thammer62thammer62 Member Posts: 48
    I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I am fired up about the 2010 Jetta sportwagen tdi with the new face as well as the 2010 Golf tdi. They seem to be the best of both worlds (fuel miser world and fun to drive world). I mean even driven hard these bad boys get low to mid 30s mpg. Name another car that when driven hard can obtain such mileage. It's a very short list. Bravo Vdub.
  • sailakfansailakfan Member Posts: 28
    Greetings everybody,
    I am in the market for the 2010 JSW Tdi and is being quoted $2500 over msrp. I know this is ridiculous but would like to know what should I expect and any suggestions for a dealership in the Dallas/FortWorth region. Here are the excerpts from the dealers email.

"These cars haven't been given prices from VW yet, however, just like every TDI in the country since 2006, they will sell for over sticker. The range, depending upon who you are dealing with, is MSRP + 2500-7500. We only add 2500"

Thanks everybody and hope the dealers attitude does not steer me away from the VWs.
    Depending on what you perceive as available options and/or opportunities, I would not rule out cross country dealers. Of course, it would have to make economic sense at some level. On TDIClub.com you might want to look up a poster 3193 and start a conversation with him.

It is the beginning of the new MY and of course dealers want to sell for as high as they can for as long as they can. So if time is not of the essence,you might want to wait a bit, doing your research in the mean time and go try out the JSW @ different times and dealerships and test the pricing waters. As time progresses, the prices might get more to your liking or to be perfectly honest, not. The 2009 worked that way at about the 3rd month, or early January. All the best.
  • sailakfansailakfan Member Posts: 28
    ruking1,

Thank you very much for the reply and the suggestions. I can wait until earlier part of next year. My only concern is that I will lost the $1300 tax credit but if I am saving 2-3 grant then it is definetly worth waiting.

As you suggested I will contact 3193 at tdiclub.

Appreciate it.
    sailakfan
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think the dealer is stretching the truth a bit. The Sportswagen is virtually sold off the truck as they come in here in San Diego. However our dealers are selling them at VW MSRP. I would email dealers in other states and cities and see what they can do. You would be better off ordering just what you want. If you are using a trade that does confuse the situation. I highly recommend selling rather than trading. By the way Sedan TDIs were selling at invoice not that long ago. The JSW has never been an easy buy below MSRP. Maybe if they ever catch up with demand it will change.

PS
    the $1300 tax credit is good till VW sells 60,000 TDIs. I don't think they are close yet.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I think I read somewhere where the state of Texas has some kind of income tax credit for the sales tax and also if buying this year there is the Federal income tax deduction for the sales tax. The Fed tax deduction is not worth that much but every little bit helps. All of this in addition to the Fed tax credit for the high efficiency autos.
    It can be a tad complicated, but yes $1,300 FED tax CREDIT. I read Conn had state sales tax exemption (for 2009 VW TDI). Shoot the Fed might even bring back the $4,500 CFC program???
  • plarsenplarsen Member Posts: 3
    Please forgive me if I posted in the wrong area.

What year can I start buying a new model TDI? Someone explained to me that there are older TDI's and new ones...and that I wanted a newer one with newer technology that burned cleaner and ran quieter.

But I am not sure what model year I can start safely looking for the TDI with this new technology. I did notice that in 2006 there was a new type of diesel being created, but I am not sure if that means I should be looking for a 2006 TDI or newer?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Phil
    The 2009 Jetta TDI is the latest technology. The 2006 was a good diesel engine for sure. Just did not meet CA emissions. Though you can bring a used one into CA and register, as long as it has 7500 miles or more. Finding a used 2009 Jetta TDI will be a trick. I would just buy a new one and get the full warranty. Shop around as there are a lot of dealers gouging customers on the price. Send emails to as many dealers as you can.
    Upshot: Starting with the 2009 MY.

If I understand what you are asking. So for example, if you are asking about the so called "latest" 50 state legal standards.

The 2003 MY on back were actually 50 state legal !! :shades: New cars sales of MY 2004 to 2006 were banned from 5 states. So by process of subtraction was 45 state legal, new car sales were legal in 90% of these here USA. A bit not so clear cut, as however CA, which was one of the so called leaders in this, would/will allow registration with 7,500 miles, aka, USED car. I am sure the remaining 4 states have/had similar exemptions. However, the only one that I know of for sure is CA.
  • radicalmoveradicalmove Member Posts: 6
    I spoke with these folks trying to make a deal to take advantage of the clunkers
    program. Even then they were not quoting above MSRP. However, in the end, they could come through with a vehicle. Apparently there was another dealer sitting on a couple of TDI sportwagons who they had purchased a couple from.

I'd be interested to know if they actually have the cars. A dealer in Salt Lake is trying to tell me they have 3 2010 TDI Sportwagons. Others are telling me they can't get them until end of October.

Also, I'm finding a couple of 2009 TDI sportwagons that are apparently the result of deals falling through.

I'd be interested to hear what others are finding at dealers new them.
  • jobayjobay Member Posts: 2
    Basically bought mine online. My credit union has a direct connection with the dealers. I typed all local dealers,told them the color and features I wanted- and what I was willing to pay. I let them know the other dealers who were giving me quotes- and let them battle it out online. I never even stepped into a dealership until the day I bought it. I had a trade in-(02 passat) that I was upside down on- they worked with me. Very happy with my purchase...Bought it March of '09 from a dealer in Marin ( Northern California)- Sonnen
    Most of the San Diego dealers have a good supply of 2010 Jetta TDI sedans. I don't see any of the new Sportwagens yet. In all SD there is only one Sportwagen gasser listed. I would guess by next week you can get a good buy on a Jetta TDI sedan.
  • bgkanne1bgkanne1 Member Posts: 18
    Just a note. I work in California for a VW dealer in a major metro area. No dealer anywhere in this state will be selling Jetta TDI SportWagons for MSRP; there are just too few of these cars coming in. If someone does claim they bought one for MSRP, that dealer is likely on it's last legs financially. You must remember we are in the biggest slowdown in vehicle sales ever. If a dealer is going to survive it must have at least one vehicle that is profitable; they can't survive on service operations. Just check how many dealerships have gone out of business.

2010 Jetta TDI sedans can sell relatively close to MSRP, since there will be more of them. Due to the relatively low price of diesel fuel (it's about $.20 a gallon less than regular gas) and the diesels far better long term operating cost over hybrids it's by far the smart choice for owners that keep their cars a long time or drive alot of miles.
  • murfemurfe Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan today and got it for about $200 under invoice at Suntrup VW in St.Louis. They just received 2 of the 2010 TDI SportWagons and I was told that they already had offers to pay the MSRP but the owner is holding out for more as they are so hard to come by.I live 90 miles from St. Louis and this was the very best deal I could get as the dealers who are closer did not have any TDI's on their lots. I was afraid that I would lose the Federal Tax Credit if I waited too much longer that is why I went ahead and payed more than I wanted to.This is the first VW Jetta , the first TDI, that I have ever owned and the ride home was just great. Seventeen inch wheels made the ride smoother and handling was a dream. I can't wait to see what my mileage will be after the first tank. It is a great vehicle.
    I would say that is a very good deal. Keep us posted on your mileage and how well you like it. I would not expect to get a great deal on the Sportwagen TDI until about the end of November. That is depending how many they bring in. They only dribbled the 2009s in so they were a tough car to deal on.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    I have a really hard time believing that. Did you mean to say $200. under dealer MSRP? Or $200. under any dealer add-ons to the MSRP sticker? If you paid more than you wanted to, why would anyone believe your story then?
    These cars are in short supply and high demand, even in middle America. Perhaps
    pricing will drop in January once the Federal tax credit expires. But certainly not now.
    For some, the gasoline version may be the better deal overall. Especially the new Golf 2.5 liter 3 door hatch. Unless one does more than 15,000 miles a year, I really don't see any advantage to going to TDI for the added premium one must pay.
    I cannot find any information that says the tax credit ends in January. The VW tax credit will be cut in half after they reach 60,000 total TDI sales. Toyota and Honda have phased out. Ford will phase out 4/1/2010. VW, BMW & MB have a ways to go before they are cut in half. You will always get the premium back on resale. Unless you keep the car a long time.
  • bigeyedfish81bigeyedfish81 Member Posts: 1
    I bought one today, Black\Black, Auto Trans, 17" wheels from Bommarito VW in Hazlewood MO.

The MSRP was 26,369 and I ended up getting them down to $25,000 (+ the standard $199 rip off processing fee). Two weeks ago the same dealer said they couldn't deal on the TDI and probably wouldn't since they are one of the cars that isn't hard to move. The sales guy (Les) basically said that they haven't moved any cars this month so they are now selling them below MSRP (no dealer add-ons, just the straight MSRP). If your in the market for one I would check them out in the next few days and see what they can do.
  • anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    Placed an "order" for a 2010 Golf 2 DR TDI 6spd manual yesterday. Fully loaded, $29,000 out the door. That's MSRP. Given that it's a brand new model, I don't feel bad. Edmunds says TMV is MSRP. Anyone order one for less?
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    I have to say it. That is a pretty outrageous price for a 2 door hatchback. I'm sorry,
    that kind of value, in my book, is non-existent. What happened to just getting the
    $23k Golf TDI 2 door? What options did you get? Horrible deal.
    Appreciate the comment, but perhaps I wasn't clear.
    1. I paid MSRP, no more, no less. If anyone has paid less than MSRP for the 2010 Golf TDI, I'd love you to post. That's what this forum is for.
    2. As mentioned, the car was equipped with EVERY available option
    3. You can look at it as bad value; but out the door (which includes 7% state tax, tag, title and 'document' fees), with every available option, the car is $1500 less than an Audi A3 TDI's base price before options, state tax and fees. As we're going from an Audi A3 to the Golf, I see the car as representing excellent value. Name another attractive, diesel, manual car capable of carrying 4-5 folks. There isn't one in the US market, currently. Hence, the decision to purchase was easy.
    For clarification, I paid $200 under the MSRP sticker. There was no dealer add-on sticker as the dealer found one with the options I wanted on the delivery list going to another dealer. They traded for it. I have never paid MSRP for a car in over 40 years so I was not going to start at this time in my life, so that is why my comment that I paid more than I wanted to . Considering all factors I think I got the best deal available at the time. So believe it or not that is your option. I have driven over 370 miles on the initial tank of diesel and I am still at the 3/8 full mark and that is mostly city driving. I will let you know the mpg when I fill up next week.
    I just got back from filling up my new 2010 Jetta TDI for the first time since getting it new from the dealer. Other than the 100 highway miles I put on it getting it back home from St. Louis I have put on over 300 city miles for a total of over 405 miles. I figured it to be about 37mpg. I am extremely happy with the mileage and I know it will get better the more I break it in. It is a great car to drive , great handling ,smooth ride on the 17" wheels. I do have the auto trans so I know that also had some impact on the mpg . I plan on going to Chicago in the next couple of weeks, around 400 miles roundtrip, so I will check the mileage again. This is my first VW ever and the first Diesel so I am still getting used to driving it but at this point in time I am really glad I did not go out and buy a Prius. Thanks to all who provided me the information I needed to make a good solid decision.
  • oli1oli1 Member Posts: 33
    Just came back from my dealer and was quoted OTD of $29,130 for a JSW TDI auto, without Nav. or moon roof. Do you think I could do better? Will it pay to buy it out of state and then ship or drive it back, it worked with my mini S?
    Since I am not in a hurry, I will probably wait until the main rush to the showrooms is over and then see what the prices will be this time 2010.
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    Just a note. I work in California for a VW dealer in a major metro area. No dealer anywhere in this state will be selling Jetta TDI SportWagons for MSRP; there are just too few of these cars coming in. If someone does claim they bought one for MSRP, that dealer is likely on it's last legs financially. You must remember we are in the biggest slowdown in vehicle sales ever. If a dealer is going to survive it must have at least one vehicle that is profitable; they can't survive on service operations. Just check how many dealerships have gone out of business.

2010 Jetta TDI sedans can sell relatively close to MSRP, since there will be more of them. Due to the relatively low price of diesel fuel (it's about $.20 a gallon less than regular gas) and the diesels far better long term operating cost over hybrids it's by far the smart choice for owners that keep their cars a long time or drive alot of miles.

I am an Internet Sales Manager at a family-owned dealership in a major metro area in California.
    We have a policy to never mark up cars, and TDI's are no exception.
    I have sold all our 2009 Jetta sportwagen TDI's for MSRP, have already sold 4 2010 JSW's myself for MSRP, and have more available.
    We are surviving just fine, and have been for over 60 years under the same ownership.

Pleas check your facts before you make such statements.
  • newtdiguynewtdiguy Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    Looking to buy a NEW 2010 Jetta TDI sedan. Does anyone know if there are any incentives down the road? Or what have people been paying for the 2010 model? Does any VW dealership deal in DEEP discounts for internet sales????
  • usma78usma78 Member Posts: 4
    The dealer in Greeneville, SC is giving us an "internet deal" of $250 below MSRP for a 2010 sportwagen TDI. MSRP is $24310 plus $1100 (auto) and $700 destination charge. Our car is due to arrive next month. I understand that they now have a backlog of orders.

Has anyone out there had a trailer hitch installed on their sportwagen? Any issues with that other than appearance? We'd like to have the option of hauling a light trailer or attaching a hitch-mount bike rack.
    So out the door price was how much?
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    I had mine installed a couple of months ago (2009 Tdi SportWagon 6peed manual) The shop did the installation and I did the wiring and module installation. VW just came out with a bulletin that specifies towing and hitch weight limits - just got mine in the mail from VW the other day. Make sure you get one that has 3 point attachments (left/right and spare tire well bolt). Works fine on hauling bikes and towing small U-Hauls.Had to raise rear coil springs with rubber spacers from JPEGs because the car was hitting the road on steep inclines and/or over the speed bumps. Car (rear) is now 1" higher and the problem was solved.
    We don't get the car until November. Total should be $26110 plus another ~$250 for tags/document fee. Not counting sales tax, of course.
    Thanks for the feedback on the hitch. I'll have the dealer get it installed and will be sure to ask about the clearance issue.
  • stackabonesstackabones Member Posts: 7
    I finally placed my official order for my TDI today. I put a $500 deposit down a couple of months ago to secure my spot on "the list". I talked to my dealer today to confirm specs. Agreed upon price is MSRP.

Of note:

I've been dealing with a couple of Seattle VW dealers, and I seem to be getting all sorts of conflicting information. Carter, the one I've placed my order through, has been told that the Golf TDI's should arrive some time this spring...perhaps sooner.

But I just got an email from University VW's Internet Sales Manager stating this:

"We just found out from VW of America yesterday that the US will only be getting 3,000 TDI Golf. They will distribute them based on regional volume. That means some dealers will get none, some will get 5 or 6. They will be taking no factory orders. We don't know why - sometimes the German mentality is beyond me.

If you are interested in one, at this point we will sell them on a first come, first served basis as they arrive at the end of the year. If that changes, I will let you know. We have no idea how many we will get - we could get three for the year, we could get 10. I know our new car manager will be calling dealers out of state to try to buy theirs if their area is not a big diesel market, but it they have ANY brains they will keep them. At this point we are not adding a second sticker markup. Some of the other dealers will be adding on as much as $10,000.

That's where we are right now. I will advise of any changes/updates."

Only 3,000 Golf TDI's?! That's a bit hard to believe. And I wonder why she says there'll be no factory orders since I just placed my order with Carter this morning.

Curious stuff...
  • covwcovw Member Posts: 1
    That is similar information to what our store received yesterday from our regional rep. VW plans to import no more Golf TDI models for the 2010 model year than they did Sportwagen TDI models in 2009. Our rep stated that the Golf is a global car, and the US market is not the main consumer of this vehicle, therefore not enough product will be imported to our shores this model year. Count yourself lucky to have a confirmed order :) .
  • stackabonesstackabones Member Posts: 7
    Interesting...it seems with demand they'd plan otherwise. Wow. Well, I guess I'll do as you said and count myself lucky!

Thanks for the info!
  • udaygudayg Member Posts: 4
    Just came back from a dealer in San Jose, CA asking $1000 over MSRP for 2010 Jetta TDI with auto and 17" wheels and couple of other options. Started with $3000 over MSRP..

I guess I have to either wait for this dealer to make a better offer or go to another one..
    The dealer in Greeneville, SC is giving us an "internet deal" of $250 below MSRP for a 2010 sportwagen TDI. MSRP is $24310 plus $1100 (auto) and $700 destination charge. Our car is due to arrive next month. I understand that they now have a backlog of orders

Would you mind telling me what is the name of the dealership there?
    Thanks
  • maigremaigre Member Posts: 16
    Are you talking about the sedan or the wagon, udayq?

If it's the sedan, stay away from that dealer. Is it the one on Stevens Creek? You can get TDI sedans in the bay area for less than MSRP without too much trouble. The dealers might pretend that they're flying off the floor, but though they seem to be selling steadily, the demand isn't THAT extreme. You'll find a reasonable deal somewhere. A place in Hayward (I haven't been there) even advertises various TDI sedan configurations at as much as $1400 or so below MSRP, which is bordering on invoice.

Wagons can be had for MSRP or slightly below depending on the dealer, but that might take more work. Just hold your ground.
  • rlw1953rlw1953 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Jetta TDI 9/29/09 from the dealer in Huntsville, AL. To get your best deal, run the Edmunds True Market Value price report to see what others are paying in your area. I found this tool to be really helpful, thank you Edmunds! I initially had to order the car and made the dealer an offer of approx $600 over Edmunds dealer invoice with a 3-month delivery time. We made a deal at $500 under MSRP. In the mean time a TDI arrived at the dealer that was close to the one I ordered. We re-negotiated and I bought it. The MSRP is $28,135 for 2010 Jetta TDI automatic, blue graphite metallic, beige v-tex interior, options are 3FE power sunroof, JTI Southern Kit, PJI 17" avignon alloy wheels, PNI Navigation System + MDI. I paid $27,435, which is $700 under MSRP (or $1,069 above Edmunds dealer invoice). $30,511 out the door including tax, title, doc fee and extended warranty. I am happy with my deal and love the car, which I intend to run until it turns to dust. My only complaint is that the Nav unit CD to load the maps has not yet arrived, but it is "in the mail." :)
  • udaygudayg Member Posts: 4
    Hey maigre
    This was for a Sedan and at Capitol VW at San Jose. Infact the steven's creek dealer is offering at 200$ over invoice ( he is pricing it for Costco members even though Costco does not have a a deal for TDI). I am a little skeptical of the Stevens Creek dealer as I have read not so good reviews about them.

Also I have a Trade in for 2001 Jetta GLS about which Stevens Creek guy does not know about but Capitol guy knows and is ready to offer $5000 for it even though the car is giving a bit of problem recently.

Know any good VW independent mechanics/repair shops in San Jose area
  • maigremaigre Member Posts: 16
    udayg, $200 over invoice sounds great. I'm hoping to get my sedan somewhere in that range.

Stevens Creek seems like the typical car dealer. I'm kind of avoiding them. I haven't been to Capitol yet, but I didn't like what I heard over the phone when I called there. Good VW dealers in the bay area aren't easy to find.

DynoSpotRacing is a terrific shop, very able and honest. They're near Almaden and Alma. Though they specialize in mods and racing things, they do great work on regular cars, too. My Passat is one of the latter and they've solved nagging issues nobody else had a clue about. It goes through too much oil, but otherwise runs great at 181,000 miles. There's no way on earth I'd still have the car without them.
    I've dealt with Jim Ellis for years now. Here's what they just sent me today on the 2010 Golf 2Dr 6Man I ordered. "Just a quick update. VW has reviewed and accepted our Sold Order Build, they should start production on your Golf in the next 7 - 14 days. :)"
    I have a feeling dealers that say you can't place an order and that low numbers are coming are trying to make a quick sale. I'll keep the forum updated when the car arrives.
  • chrishhchrishh Member Posts: 17
    which Ellis are you dealing with, Atlanta or Marietta?
    Atlanta, but Marietta actually offered another $150 off whatever my best deal was. For me, the drive wasn't worth it.
  • bingocimobingocimo Member Posts: 1
    I am about to give up.

This is the car I want but I refuse to pay over MSRP. And now with so few available it's even harder. The VW dealers are the WORST.

Does anyone know if VW is planning to ship more of these at anytime soon?

Otherwise I'll pocket $7,000 and get a Hyudai Elantra Touring.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    bingo, you might try working with a dealer anywhere else in USA. many might be willing to do a "courtesy delivery" to your local dealer. At MSRP.
    Steve White Audi and VW.
  • jswtdifanjswtdifan Member Posts: 9
    Call Bridget at VW in Santa Monica for a fair deal. Expect MSRP.