Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• oli1oli1 Member Posts: 33
    Does this mean that if you do a "courtesy delivery" and you live in another state, you wouldn't have to pay shipping costs?
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    "Otherwise I'll pocket $7,000 and get a Hyundai Elantra Touring"

With that extra $7,000 you will also get a better warranty, a vehicle with a terrific reliability reputation, and no need to scrounge for service stations with ULSD diesel pumps.

There are some trade offs of course and I'm sure VW fanboys will be glad to point them out.

In our area a JettaTDI wagon is over $33.000 before taxes. A loaded Elantra Touring is $10,000 less.

Personally I think they are all too much money, as the last round of car company discounts seems to show that dealer "invoice" is a joke and more like what MSRP should be, for starters.

Don't get me started on the Stealerships that are tacking on another $2,000 over MSRP just because they can...see the extra "$2,000 side stickers" at the Great Falls Montana VW dealer.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    oli1, i do not recall any additional charge but it was long ago...
    things may have changed and my knowledge about courtesy-deliveries is probably old/stale - maybe they are not done nowadays. salesfolks at the dealerships should be able to tell you the current info.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    quote longo2-
    There are some trade offs of course and I'm sure VW fanboys will be glad to point them out.-end

VW haters are mired in the past. VW improved it's reliability.
    Recommending Hyundai for it's quality over VW is so ironic in the overall context it is almost beyond funny to absurd.

The below commentary from Warren Brown column is relevant.

-from Warren Brown column-
    Baltimore, Md.: I've seen you recommending the VW Jetta TDI for the past several weeks now, and after taking one on a test drive, I'm now really interested in buying one. However, many people have emphatically told me to steer clear of VWs, citing numerous reliability and maintenance problems they've had over the years. Has VW taken any steps to address these problems for the '09/'10 models?

Warren Brown: Reputations. Good ones are easily lost. Bad ones tend to hang around long after things have changed. At VW, particularly in the mid-Atlantic region in the matter of maintenance and repairs, things have changed for the better. The Jetta TDI is a darned good car now backed by a company that acts on the notion that "total quality" includes repair service.
    -end
    "Recommending Hyundai for it's quality over VW is so ironic in the overall context it is almost beyond funny to absurd."

Well mopar, sorry to say it's neither ironic, funny, or absurd, check the latest JD Power reliablity reports and see who got the better scores.

Just to save you some time, its Hyundai 13 out of possible 20

VW 8 out of possible 20

I wish it were the other way around, I have a Jetta TDI sitting in the garage, if you really wanted the most reliable car out there today, the reports says...Buy a Buick.
  • maigremaigre Member Posts: 16
    I've had mostly good luck with my '99 Passat. It's still running pretty well, even if it goes through too much oil. But there's no getting away from the harsh realities that so many people have had to deal with in recent years. The JD Power survey numbers aren't lying. And then, there are those VW dealers...

I'm shopping for a new one now and am not exactly impressed with the scene at the dealers I've visited. VW's always talking about being dedicated to improving quality control, but until it's been proven over a period of at least a few years, it's all talk. And why they continue to allow their dealers to behave the way they do is beyond me. Makes it even harder to take the pronouncements about their determination to make things better seriously.

That said, I'm getting a Jetta TDI anyway. Originally, I wasn't going to get another VW because of all the quality and service issues. But I ended up deciding I wanted the TDI. Even though I've had a good experience (I don't take it to the dealer for service, of course), I have eyes and ears and literally nobody else I know who has had one in the years since I got mine is happy enough to stick with VW.
    "VW's always talking about being dedicated to improving quality control"

Actually what they've been talking about lately is cutting build time, content and their costs. They complain that it takes way too much time on the production line to build a Jetta.

So, look at what they've taken from the Jetta TDI from the past 2006 model year, no more real leather, no dual control climate package, no more power memory seats, now only grey and black interiors etc etc...the next VW move to cut costs and put them together them faster is a new factory in Tennessee to build a 2011 "American Model"..any VW buyers out there want their new Jetta to be built..faster?
    Just to save you some time, its Hyundai 13 out of possible 20

VW 8 out of possible 20

8 and 13 out of a possible 20 what?

Colored in circles?

2.6 problems per vehicle for VW

1.5 problems per vehicle for Hyundai
    20 being the best, or, no reported problems, perfect score

0 score being a vehicle that's just been crushed?
  • kingsfan2kingsfan2 Member Posts: 22
    I'm also very interested in the Jetta TDI, but drive about a 1000 per wk alot of
    it in traffic. Have an 07 Accord with 150k that has been absolutely bulletproof, but
    love the way the TDI drives and the mileage. Really need and automatic but the
    reliability of the DSG makes me nervous. What are peoples thoughts? Get the
    TDI with 6spd, try the DSG, or stay with another Accord?
  • rcarr7rcarr7 Member Posts: 19
    link title

Above is a nifty .gov comparo. You can customize the C/H miles percentages, fuel costs etc.

Upshot: you save $1,778 per year or $148 per mo.

There is no doubt in my mind the 07 Accord will easily do you 300k, if not 400k.

So being as how you already have/own the Accord:

1. Accord A/T (I presume)
    2. TDI, manual 6 sp
    3. TDI DSG 6 spd.
    I agree with rcarr but for slightly different reasons.

You already have a ton of miles on your Accord, so keeping it for another year won't make that much differece on a trade in.
    (and as he points out, you save a lot of money each month by keeping it)

By then the total re-designed Jetta TDI's will be out in 2011.

Or if you got real lucky, Honda will get off their [non-permissible content removed] and bring over their 2.2 ltr Diesel Accord they have had running around Europe for years.
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

I have read on Euro TDI forums that this 2.2 Diesel gets about the same mpg's as the VW TDI.

Seems it didn't pass the emmisions tests for the U.S. in a/t form. In Standard transmission, however it did.

Honda packed it up, went home in a huff and I haven't heard a peep of gossip, news, speculation or hints of it coming to North America since all the Hoopla in 2007 when they brought over the TDI test cars.

If the rest of the Auto Builders are noticing that VW's TDI's are hot items in N.A. we should be seeing some clues soon.
    I for one had been looking forward to a Honda (Civic) iTEC. The news took various twists and turns and it went from Civic to Accord to Acura TSX...back to nada.. However, I think one of the reasons Honda did not bring an iTEC Accord to the US market was / probably continues to be price.

Just a quick snapshot shows (gassers) VW Jetta to be app $3,000 cheaper than a comparable Honda Accord.. When I purchasted a 03 VW Jetta TDI, there was considerable angst and criticism with a sub $300. premium over a turbo gasser Jetta !!?? Fast forward to 2009/2010 time frame and Edmunds.com (last I checked) showed the TDI to have up to $3,500 over the 1.8 T Jetta. Current TMV price difference is $2,300. (generic- not indepth)
    "Fast forward to 2009/2010 time frame and Edmunds.com (last I checked) showed the TDI to have up to $3,500 over the 2.0 T Jetta."

Now don't you wish you had bought an extra 03' as a hedge against the crazie$ out there now?
    TMV
    (true market value) is an elusive number when you are dealing with VW on a TDI.

Right now they pretty much have this diesel car market all to themselves.
    I know there are a couple of other options, but all upscale' from the Jetta, Golf and Beetle.

It's a market that is ripe for Ford, (they already have a couple of great little diesels in Europe), Honda, if they want to jump in with their already proven 2.2 and even Hyundai is (gossip alert) working on a diesel Elantra.

Til then it seems VW is the only game in town for a moderately priced high MPG diesel vehicle, so TMV is tough to get on the table at buying time. .

In the U.S.A. the auto makers are all fighting a diesel head wind in the market...iffy availability of ULSD (could only find 2 places in Helena Montana on the trip home, and a big truck stop in New Mexico where everybody thought I was crazy when I filled up the Jetta at the diesel pump) and for some strange reason, some sort of a Diesel is 'Anti American' feeling.

I have made the rounds of dealerships and looked at the shrunken list of options now available and the rising M$RP's on Jettas, decided to buy a low mileage 2006 Jetta with DSG and full Option 2 package, and call it done.
  • anasazi1anasazi1 Member Posts: 2
    Last week I paid a deposit for a 2010 VW Golf TDI, 2DR, MT, grey metallic, with Emlich VW in Denver. Purchase price was MSPR ($23,388) which included cold weather package and car mat options. Reminder that Bluetooth is now mandatory for every TDI. Had to pay the usual Denver area VW handling fee of $399 (ouch) for a total of $23,787 (that figure does not include regional sales tax).

Car should eta 1st week of December. In my discussions with various VW dealers, not a lot of Golf TDIs' will be arriving in Colorado in 2009. Not an issue of negotiating a fair price as much as trying to find the car you want at this early date. Negotiated over the internet, relatively painless experience.
    It has been indeed a pleasant surprise knowing used TDI's sell for much more than the TMV.

Your (Montana) lack of diesel experience is really the first I heard of D2 not being available. Even in 03 when according to .gov statistics app 1 in 4 stations carried D2, I have NEVER had an issue getting D2 fuel. But then again, I have only been to app 12 or so states and 1 foreign country and not the other 38 states. (with the TDI's)

I am guessing the 2009 TDI sales went a long way to "create a demand, spotlighting", etc. for TDI's. There were some so called "touch and go" months, even for VW TDI sales. I have read on another web site that the 2009 MY TDI's were 38,000.

I would hope you are happy with your 2006 TDI w / DSG !
  • hammerjhammerj Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the heads up on the 2011 models. hoping for AWD model
    I might be totally off base here, but AWD is probably not in the cards for VW Jetta's TDI's. So if you are talking of staying in the VW family, even the 30k MSRP Audi A3 might be the ticket. However its TDI doesn't have AWD. The next model A4 has AWD but no TDI. As well designed as the A3 is, the high prices (over its competitors and VW Jetta ) seems to put a damper on "robust" sales.
    moparbad -"Recommending Hyundai for it's quality over VW is so ironic in the overall context it is almost beyond funny to absurd."

longo2- Well mopar, sorry to say it's neither ironic, funny, or absurd, check the latest JD Power reliablity reports and see who got the better scores.

Check the latest 2009 Consumer Reports longo2 and here is what you will find

The VW Jetta's Recommendation now extends to the diesel version, making it the only diesel Consumer Reports currently recommends.
    ..."The VW Jetta's Recommendation now extends to the diesel version, making it the only diesel Consumer Reports currently recommends"...

Well these items have to be cool beans ! VW seems to have made good on past initiatives to constantly improve.
    If Subaru came out with a good TDI in their AWD line it would sell like Hotcakes! The vehicles are great, but their Hiway mpg's with the gas engines are pretty grim.

I for one would be first in line. AWD is almost mandatory where I live, even if you just want to get out of the yard in the winter.
    (I keep running an old 1992 Dodge Caravan with AWD for that)

The Subaru Wagon with high clearance, 30+ mpgs, heated seats and tons of torqe would be a winter dream machine around here.
  • kingsfan2kingsfan2 Member Posts: 22
    Can anybody give me any feedback as to what they have been able to pay at
    any Northern California dealers for a 2010 Jetta TDI? Interested in what the best'
    deal would be in relation to MSRP before TTL.
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    I'm looking at the Wolfsburg and the TDI. The best I've heard in the East Bay area is MSRP for the TDI and various discounts for the rest of the Jetta lineup.
    Just read this in the Washinton Post Auto section.. from a guy who could have recommened any brand, any model to this readers question...
    .Looks like VW has a long uphill PR battle ahead.........

Arlington, Va.: "We are looking to buy a small "commuter" car (good gas mileage, low maintenance, etc.) and don't have a lot of money. What do you recommend?

Warren Brown: Hyundai Elantra. First choice, best value for dollar.

Chevrolet Aveo. Second. Good value for dollar.

Honda Fit Sport. Third. Excellent quality. Most fun-to-drive. But could be pricey."

I think VW Pricing and reliability issues has somehow put it completely out of the minds of such reviewers when thinking of the criteria of this buyers question.

VW has now seems to be an 'up-scale' kind of product..a long way from it's roots.. my first VW was a new 1959 Beatle at $1700.00....
    my last bug was a new 1971 Super Beatle (I think the best one they ever made) at $1921.00...they are now selling for up to $6,000.00

"Herman" as we called it, would have been a better investement than money in the bank, mind you that's not saying much is it. The U.S. market really needs the "PoloTDI" to get back to reality.

Road Test: Volkswagen Polo TDI
    By Damien Tomlinson - 20/Oct/2006

The Volkswagen Polo is a very small car. It measures less than 4 metres long and only 1.65 metres wide, and competes for market share against similar sized vehicles like the Toyota Yaris, Peugeot 206, Mazda2, Holden Barina and Ford Fiesta. Unlike most of these cars however, the Polo has two very neat tricks up its sleeve.

The first is the GTI model, powered by a turbocharged 1.8-litre petrol engine. Feann reviewed this one and gave it an 80% score, which you can read about here. The second neat trick in Volkswagen Australia's Polo range is the TDI model. This cheeky little German car is powered by a 1.9-litre turbo diesel engine, giving the vehicle incredible fuel efficiency figures of 56mpg, an impressive cruising range and plenty of power.

And at the time of writing it has no direct competitors.

IMHO that's where VW should be again.
    Is there anyway to rent a JSW TDI for a long trip, just to see how it feels?
    you can trust me the sedan TDI is fine on a long trip, such as about 10 BostonOrlando local drives, as well as a Boston SanJose commute. the satellite radio is crucial too!
    The Sportswagen might be different, no?
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    Just bought 2010 TDI MSRP 26,025.00.

Paid 25100.00 + tax, license and 55.00 doc fees.

Every internet quote I received was 500 - 1000 over MSRP. I visited 3 dealers on Saturday to introduce myself and to completely examine the car. When I got home 2 dealers left internet quotes of -500 and the third was at MSRP. I picked the dealership I felt most comfortable with and I said let's cut the B.S. "I will not pay 5000 over what this car is really worth, but I'll pay 4000 more than it's really worth".

So, I worked out a 975.00 savings and still overpaid by thousands. I'm happy, I hope my daughter likes here new car.

Additionally, if this car has average or above average reliability, then this car truely makes the Prius (great transportation/reliability) look and drive like a golf cart. I'll get back to you in 5 or 6 years on the reliability thing.
    hello oli. i doubt the wagon is any more or less comfy on a long trip than a sedan.
    fwiw, i put 80k miles on an 03 TDI non-sport wagon, including many boston/orlando drives. it was fine on a long trip but after 75k i found the shocks/struts were dead.
    ps - say hi to kukla and fran if you see them around!
  • jfish4jfish4 Member Posts: 1
    ok in Seattle area, have test driven 2010 golf TDI Manual, sunroof cold weather, and 2010 golf TDI Automatic, Sunroof, cold weather package. both are 4 door. Manual asking no demanding 25,700 and Automatic asking 27,890 this if before tax, title lic.
    at least one of the dealers on the sticker put "Market Adjustment $1990" So looking at 27,000 OTD for the Manual and probably 29,500 on the Automatic. Yes I know these are in minute supply but this gouging on pricing is ridiculous. Yes? Yes I know the ride is sweet and the power of the cars is great but, this car seems like a vehicle that should be 24,500 OTD. Am I wrong?
    I advise you to wait for a price of MSRP or less. Call/email around to a few dealers and I bet you will find one that will do the deal @ MSRP.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think you will find the dealers in Portland area easier to deal with. I have not been able to deal with Washington dealers the last 15 years. It must be the atrocious taxes in your state.
  • anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    I did my Golf TDI deal at MSRP. In this time of tight supply, high demand, I thought that was reasonable. Now, just waiting for it to arrive....
  • jingormjingorm Member Posts: 12
    I was able to negotiate a Jetta TDI for $500 below MSRP in the DC area. While at the dealership I asked what kind of deals they are offering on 09 Passat sedans. It appears that dealer and a few others in my area are selling them for 3000-6000 below MSRP or roughly 24-26k on a 29-31k MSRP car. The TDI MSRP is 25,945 and the deal is for 25,495.

I am buying this car for primarily for commuting as my growing family now needs a second car. Our other car is a BMW X3 which will be the kid-hauler. I like the idea of driving fuel efficient car and my commute is about 45 miles round trip. I also drive to NY/Boston 2-3 times a year. But the "deal" on the Passat is very attractive and the additional space, especially in the rear, would be helpful as my two kids grow out of their car seats.

Any insights on the pros and cons of each car relative to the other would be appreciated. I am especially interested in the historical long term reliability of both models. I also heard that you can use regular fuel in a Passat. Does that worsen the mileage on the car. That's what I was told about my BMW so I use premium, but my sister uses regular gas on her Audi A4 wagon.
  • krldrummerboykrldrummerboy Member Posts: 1
    Just bought mine in Santa Clara at Stevens Creek. It's a base base manual. I really enjoyed the test drive of the 6-speed manual. Lots of power!

It listed for $25,060 and they wanted $30,060. After 5 hours I got it for $27,060 + ~$200 for the rubber floor and trunk mats (they really wanted that $60 bucks, too). This was for a model that they had to bring in to california from texas. So, there were some import costs they had to incur. If I wanted the silver (instead of blue) one they had at the location I probably could have paid ~$500 - $700 less.

Also, I bought the extended 60k warranty for $1250 (down from $2200). That took a while, too. Wanted it for $800 but it wasn't in the cards

If anyone wants a manual silver TDI wagon with base options go to Steven Creek ASAP.

Can;t wait to pick it up at the end of the month.

How do you claim the $1300 tax credit????

Woohoo
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    You're right! :mad:
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    In search for my rear windshield wipers I stopped at a local VW dealer (NW Florida) and asked if they have any TDIs on the lot. They had one Golf (formerly Rabbit) Tdi in stock and advised that there are no more coming until March 2010.
    For the one on their lot (due to supply/demand) they want 2 to 3 K over MSRP... and they claim they can get it - that would translate into appx 28 K before taxes and fees.
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    I have 09 SportWagen Tdi (manual) and not long ago I took a ride in Tdi sedan with DSG automatic - I found sedan's suspension a bit stiffer than my Wagon. Other than that there is not much of a difference except Wagon has more space in the back.

I found the styling of Wagon "cool" (as some teens would comment) - it's no longer soccer mom's taxi-type vehicle (never been in Europe anyway). It's a good alternative to small SUV with much better mileage although I would prefer Subaru Forester diesel. Last thing I've heard is that Subaru doesn't have the right automatic transmission to match their diesels (Subaru diesels running the 2nd year in Europe all have manual transmissions).
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Hi Jogo,

Thought you might like to see the Subaru AWD Diesel wagon that they are quietly building at their plant in the U.S.A.

They ship them to Europe for sale over there.

I think they are a 2 ltr, 258 ft pounds of torqe, diesel boxer engine that gets about the same mpg's as the Jetta TDI's.

If they ever go on sale in North America, that will be my next new car.
    So close yet so far. I have to wonder if they are trying to meet the CARB diesel emissions or just using our cheap labor to build cars here. I would sure consider one if they are sold here. Good clearance and just about the right size. Someone needs to offer a CUV/SUV with a 4 cylinder diesel.
    Right now I don't see Subaru working on meeting higher emission standards, the boxer diesel engine only meets tier 4 standards as a result of a lax emissions loophole for 4 wheel drive vehicles in the EU.

Here's a quick look at how that's going down in England.

"The European Federation for Transport and the Environment (T&E) strongly supports stronger emissions standards but regrets the weakness of the Euro 5 and 6 standards, notably as regards NOx emissions, which it says cause smog, respiratory problems and acid rain. The NGO also deplores the fact that four-wheel drive vehicles have been allowed an additional three year transition period before having to comply with the new rules. "The Parliament, in its 'wisdom', has concluded that these unsafe, antisocial, heavily-polluting cars - should be allowed to pump lethal emissions into the air for an extended period," said T&E Director Jos Dings. He added that the new legislation created an "unbelievable situation" where Euro 6 standards, to be enforced after 2014, will be weaker than those in California and ten other American states (40mg/km for both petrol and diesel cars):
    "An American consumer can buy a super-clean diesel today at their local dealer, while a German will have to wait until 2015 to buy something even remotely similar. There is simply no excuse for allowing Europe to lose its leadership in this area."

So it would seem that Subaru U.S.A. has found a temporary Euro market for a new vehicle that pollutes like our older VW TDI acid rain makers.. ;)
  • north52north52 Member Posts: 11
    Hi folks, just picked up a 2009 Jetta TDI Highline DSG. Our model had all available options: ESP,Rear Airbag, Sirius and Bluetooth. This model is brand new with 53km (32mi) on the odometer.

I was originally going to wait for Honda to release their diesel - last year they announced that the Acura TSX (European Accord) would be available with Honda's 'clean diesel'. But a couple of months ago Honda announced that, mainly due to current market conditions, they would delay the release for the foreseeable future. Too bad - the current 2.2 turbo-diesel Honda sells in Europe is pretty much the equal of VW's TDI.

VW's TDI was always my first choice, but I wanted to see and drive this new Acura (Honda), but no such luck this year.

Over the next few weeks, we'll keep the forum posted of our family's first impressions!
    Be sure and keep us posted. Let us know how it does in the snow and ice. I would have thought that Subaru would sell their AWD diesel models in Canada. Or the A4 Allroad TDI should be available. Hope you enjoy your new ride.
  • newtdiguynewtdiguy Member Posts: 4
    Hello good luck !! I have a question though "What is a Highline" TDI. Never heard of one ? Looking at the 2010 sedan model presently
    In Canada, VW sells the Jetta in 3 different trim levels, the most expensive one with the most standard goodies is called the "Highline"
    (up here they are ALL expensive!)

If I were in the market for a TDI type of new vehicle I would wait until the 2011's come out next fall. The next Gen. Jetta is supposed to be a little bigger all around, and will be a total re-do.
    If I were in the market for a TDI type of new vehicle I would wait until the 2011's come out next fall. The next Gen. Jetta is supposed to be a little bigger all around, and will be a total re-do.

If you are referring to the new VW to be made in Chattanooga, there are many reasons to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

1. The plant is brand new, with brand new workers and a brand new design. I would not want to buy a first year design from a first year assembly plant.

2. VW has stated repeatedly that they are making the car appeal to American tastes to include more and bigger cupholders and handling that is not so firm, as well as making the vehicle bigger. So basically a supersized, numb and dumb version between a Jetta and Passat. VW CamCord?

3. Polo is coming. If Jetta is larger than what you need, (Jetta and Golf are larger and heavier and less fuel efficient that what I'd like) then Polo may merit consideration.

Pricing may improve, so that is good news, VW recognizes that they are priced higher than their competitors and they plan to reduce prices. Unfortunately it may come at the expense of content.
    VW has been busy busy busy decontenting the Jetta since 2006. It's already a stripped down version of it's former self. The 2009's and 10's are the last of the Mark 5 line and I don't think they really gave a hoot.
    The Jetta is in the same bag as the Corolla, Mazda, Fiesta, Versa, Cavalier, and the list goes on...so getting out of that crowd is a must if VW is ever going to step up and start selling more cars.
    I think their game plan is a good one to do that, my only hope is that the new JettaCamryCord will be up to the job.

My 2006 Mark 5 is already an orphan in VW's line up, hate to see them bomb with it's new replacement.

You are right tho about all the possibilites of disaster considering very few of the new workers will know what the hell they are doing, and VW will be using the buyers of this untried model as road testers.

What could go wrong with that... :lemon:
  • jswtdifanjswtdifan Member Posts: 9
    Hi Longo - I don't know what you're talking about. While I have no experience with the 2006 Jetta, I did own (and have since sold) a Corolla from that vintage. Now I have the 2010 JSW TDI and it's a world of difference compared to the Toyota.

Satellite radio, bluetooth, 6 disk CD changer with IPOD interface and SD chip, 115V power supply, pano roof, leather multi-function steering wheel, high quality appearance inside and out, TDI with real world 30's in the city and 50mph highway, well designed controls and performance.

It's clear to me that the 2010 JSW TDI is not "in the same bag" as the cars you listed. The fact that VW lots are empty of this model suggests a lot of others agree with me on this one. I'm glad you're happy with your 2006, but I'd suggest you're wrong to disparage the newest JSW.