Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    "Satellite radio, bluetooth, 6 disk CD changer with IPOD interface and SD chip, 115V power supply, pano roof, leather multi-function steering wheel, high quality appearance inside and out, TDI with real world 30's in the city and 50mph highway, well designed controls and performance".
    You have just listed most of the features of our 2007 Nissan Versa SL. but that's not what I meant when I compared the Jetta to the others in the pack.
    You see, the current Jetta is almost the exact same dimensions as all it's current completion. Going bigger will get than out of that crowed gang and give them a leg up considering the Polo will be coming in at VW's bottom end and should do well there with the Beetle TDI and Golf TDI in hatchback form .
    Then the new U.S. built VW model will be free to compete with the most popular and best selling sedan sizes on the road today..the Sonata, Malibu, Camry, and the Accord. (feel free to add all the other ones I have missed)

The question in my mind is VW up to the challenge of building a really great selling new, Jetta, (I doubt that's what they will even call it) considering they already have the bigger Passat, a kind of a sales dud, sitting on the showroom floors.

Hope your new JSW lasts forever.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,175
    Are you sure the new "american midsize" VW is going to replace the Jetta? I thought I read somewhere that the Passat(slow sales as you say) was the car being replaced.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    You might be right, I found this quote among other VW Car-Gossip on the net..

"The so-called NMS or New Midsize Sedan will replace the Passat in the US"

Could be they will just put the Passat out to pasture and see how the new..."NMS" works out. I don't think there would be much consumer backlash on that one...since thery stopped making the Passat TDI, especially in the beautiful Wagon model, who really cares?

A lot of speculation, but one things for sure, the Jetta as we know it is due for an update, one that some diehard Jetta fans won't like, but I think VW is looking for a new mass market that couldn't care less about the old VW Jetta's track record.

Get ready for BIGGER CUPHOLDERS!
  • "stripped down version of it's former self"; "don't think they really gave a hoot" - These are the comments that got my attention and disapproval. While the dimensions of the Versa and others are similar (excepting cargo of the JSW), I could not see considering any of those cars as comparable to the JSW TDI. Did I mention heated front seats and mirrors; roof racks; or virtually zero depreciation of the TDI?

As for getting out of that crowd, I think that's a mistake. VW needs a vehicle that leads the pack of these similarly sized cars (Polo is not a substitute here). The later posts and comments about the NMS are good comments - this is a new opportunity for VW to compete with the Accords, etc (between the Jetta and CC - and replacing Passat which failed in that mission).

See some NMS photos at this link: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/09q1/2011_2012_vw_passat_replacement_new_mi- d-size_sedan_nms_-car_news/gallery
  • geosamgeosam Posts: 18
    You said you got EVERY available option, but your previous post says 6 sp manual?
    I am interested in knowing how are you liking the car. I am very interested in the Golf TDI, but am having a hard time knowing it will probably cost me more than a GTI.
    Thanks, George
  • Car is ordered. STILL not here, VW is not allotting their dealers very many cars, and so I'm still waiting for one. So be prepared for a long wait. Some dealers aren't even taking any more orders, they have so many already. On the 6spd manual 2dr model, I ordered every available option. Hope that wasn't misleading
  • 1700 tax credit on TDIs with DSG is like a 5k tax write-off. Is the GTI still a better deal? By me there's a TDI for 26k with DSG. Seriously considering stopping by after work. A GTI with DSG is about the same price but no tax credit and more expensive fuel with 30-40% lower fuel economy. It'll make up the price gap quickly. As for resale - TDIs supposedly sell for a mint used.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,869
    I'd highly recommend the TDI Cup Jetta or being patient and waiting for the GTD. VWoA is seriously working on bringing the GTD to USA.

TDI Cup without the body kit is a car that I expect you would be satisfied with.
  • Dealer was closed. At 7 pm. Closed at 7?!!!
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,223
    Which dealer in San Diego? I have had pretty good dealings with Drew VW in La Mesa. Not sure they stay open past 7 PM.
  • Miramar. We happened to be near Drew later they were open but not a TDI in sight. I think only Miramar has a 4 door TDI right now.
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,223
    I know I have stopped by a few times when I get into La Mesa and rarely see any TDI models. They are usually sold when they hit the ground. From the two or three salesmen I talked to Drew does not add any premium on the Jetta TDI models. They offered to order me a Sportswagen. Not really what I want. The Tiguan 2.0L TDI with 4Motion would be a real temptation for me. They have them in the EU. No plans to sell them here. Probably sell all they can build in Europe. Why take the dollar hit over here?
  • They had Sportwagens on the lot but I have little interest in the Jetta. I prefer the Golf and the idea of a sport suspension.
  • I'd highly recommend the TDI Cup Jetta or being patient and waiting for the GTD. VWoA is seriously working on bringing the GTD to USA.

TDI Cup without the body kit is a car that I expect you would be satisfied with.

They are not going to bring the GTD to USA.
  • Went looking for a 2010 TDI found that while there are NO incentives . Prices quoted are lower than invoice on web sites???? Is there any factory to dealer Cash?????? If so how much?? I know they are NOT losing any money

Dealers are Boston Ma. area
    They are not going to bring the GTD to USA.

2.0 170HP TDI is being certified for use in USA in an addtional vehicle and this will allow GTD to also be offered. That is what I've been told "off the record" from a VWoA employee.
  • After using Edmunds.com, I put in an order at Sunrise VW in Lynbrook, NY for a white Golf TDI with DSG and 4 doors. No other options. I had to pay MSRP or $24,440 plus tax and tags. But I am going to boldly deduct my sales tax on this year's tax return even though I don't expect to receive the car until March of 2010. I might end up in jail with Bernie Maddoff but what the heck.

I also will take the $1,700 tax credit compliments of our generous government. So between the sales tax deduction and the tax credit I estimate a tax benefit of around $2,300. So my actual cost will be reduced to around $22,140 plus tax and tags.

I am expecting a 3-4 month wait for the car. But I did put an escape clause in the sales agreement. If they don't deliver the car my 3/3/10 I can get my deposit refunded and try somewhere else.

I also added a stipulation that if the manufacturer offers any incentives before I pick up the car, either cash or financing, I will be able to get them.

So now I will have 100 days of anticipation to dream about my new acquisition. I am already planning a nice driving vacation down to South Carolina in April to try to squeeze 50 mpg out of the thing.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,175
    Good luck with the IRS especially if you cancel the deal after taking all the tax credits. Bernie is in a hospital unit right now but I'm sure he'll be back in his cell to greet you upon your arrival.
    But I am going to boldly deduct my sales tax on this year's tax return even though I don't expect to receive the car until March of 2010. I might end up in jail with Bernie Maddoff but what the heck.

That is not a big deal, heck, I'm claiming you as a dependent on my tax return!
  • Thanks for the encouragement with the IRS. Those folks do scare me. But if I do cancel the deal with my local dealer it would be to purchase the same VW from another dealer. But you did alert me to a potential tax problem so thank you. I may get cold feet before filing my 2009 taxes and decide it is better to sleep at night rather than try to game the IRS.

Is anyone able to report actual gas mileage? I'm interested in your experiences with the TDI's. Also, a question: Does the neck of the fuel tank in any way prevent one from putting regular gas into the TDI? I drive other cars and worry that I might inadvertently pump regular into a diesel. I saw this happen while in Vietnam and the damn vehicle drove like a bucking bronco.