Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-2X Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nlightnnlightn Member Posts: 1
    just to confirm, did you mean $500 lower than the GM Supplier pricing + take off $7000 incentive?
    Is supplier pricing = dealer invoice?
    I missed May incentives but am heading to the dealer this week. I appreciate any comments about June deals.
    I am not a Suburu guy, and drive a 2000 9-3, but will test drive the 92-x linear. If I like, i will buy. Need the AWD where I live.

Thanks,
    nlightn
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    seems like about $7,500 - $8,500 off MSRP, depending on the model, is the going ballpark range. Supply, however, seems to be a problem, so you may not have the opportunity to be pickey.

A linear with some options for 17ish doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• enroncfoenroncfo Member Posts: 5
    When playign around with the payment calculator on the Saab website, it lists the interest rate for the Linear as 0% and the Aero as 9.49%. Obviously you could do better with a bank on the Aero, but has anyone financed through Saab? Are you getting the 0%? Is it only on the Linear? Thanks.
  • amychowusamychowus Member Posts: 5
    2005 Linear with Automatic and cold package. MSRP: 253xx. GM Employee price - $5000 rebate = $18,5xx. This dealer in NJ was very nice and told me this is the best price, Is it? Thanks in advance for any comments.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    Yes... Employee pricing minus the rebate is the best price..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    I was quoted just a little over $17k for a linear on June 2. I requested quote for automatic plus cold, but the dealer did not specifically state that these were included.

However, I have decided not to pursue the quote, so I do not know how reliable it was...
  • harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    The zero percent financing mean you give up the rebate - not a good deal when you are getting $5000-6000!

Jim
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I see advertised for $17,992. I believe this ad has run for a couple of weeks, so maybe they have a few and there's no stampede.
    The only dealer in Cincinnati has seven 9-2Xs..

3 Aero.. all automatics

4 Linear.. two auto, two manual..

They also own the dealership in Dayton.. Not sure of the stock there, but he did say he had one manual transmission Aero at that facility.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Do you guys think the incentives will get better or worse when the GM Employee pricing for everybody expires on July 5? The deals now are great, but the May deals were $1400 better on Linear and $2000 better on Aero for people who qualified for GM employee pricing.

If GM goes back to the May pricing again in July/August, I may be forced to pull the trigger.
  • stocktonstockton Member Posts: 8
    :surprise: $23,784. This is what I’m paying for a 92x Linear “delivered” fully loaded (cold weather pkg, auto trans, premium package with leather and power moonroof), taxes, registration, plates…etc, included. Tell me if this is a great deal or what?!?! This is in NJ.
    Anyone here getting a better deal? I’m curios.
  • enroncfoenroncfo Member Posts: 5
    At that price, why not take an Aero?
    You need to separate the tax/title/license so we can tell the actual vehicle price. Taxes vary by state and that muddies the waters.

Did you get exactly the GM employee price? You can find it around the web. You should not have paid more than that.
    Typically, the GM Card earnings cannot be used when the GM employee price (GMS) is utilized. Does anyone know if GM is allowing the GM Card earnings to be applied?

Seems it might boil down to semantics-- if GM is offering non-employees the same price as the GM employee price but not considering it an employee-price deal, then maybe the GM Card $$ can be used. But if GM considers it an employee-price program deal, then probably no GM Card $$ on the deal.
  • cntwllcntwll Member Posts: 2
    Can anything be negotiated below employee pricing? I have a linear with automatic trans & cold weather at ~ $18,400. Is the dealer making money? If yes, why can't I get more off? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good price. I just wanted to know if I was being mislead when the salesman said that is the lowest he can go...
    There's a huge thread on a 'deal site' not a car site, and I have seen a couple people there say they bought a 9-2X for less than employee pricing during the current 'employee pricing for everybody' promotion. A couple of those comments were for demos / not-brand-new units, but at least one was for a new unit.
    This seems awfully high. What is the MSRP?

I might be wrong, though... You do have a lot of options..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I've read exactly that in another thread..

It is the GM employee price, but not the GM employee purchase program.. and, GM card $$ can be used..

Just what I've heard...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I’m getting the Linear because the Aero requires 93 gasoline. The Linear will work on 87. The way gas prices are these days it just doesn’t pay. Besides I drove both the Aero and the Linear. You’d actually have to floor the Aero in order to see a bit of difference in my opinion.
    actually, i looked on gmcard.com a bit today, and GM Card earnings cannot be used on Saab vehicles.

But it appears GM is paying dealers 5% of MSRP for vehicles sold during this current promotion, to ensure dealers make money on these vehicles. That would support the idea that the employee price is negotiable during this promotion.
    Msrp= 29,230
    Tax= 6%
    Title, reg, and whatever else included in the price below
    My price = 23,784 delivered.
    All packages included.
    I’m actually paying $1000 less than a similar Aero configured on carsdirect.com and these guys sell cars in general cheaper than the dealers. You basically buy the car at invoice price. Which dealer will sell you a car at invoice price?
    Why do you think I'm paying high? Please explain.
    Please list the details - base price (MSRP and selling price), and each option's price.

Off the top of my head, the Aeros have been going for $7,x00 to $8,x00 off MSRP with the current GM employee price for everyone deal. Backing tax out of your deal, are you around $22,500 pre-tax? That would put your discount off MSRP at less than $7,000 and that doesn't sound right.

Either the dealer is adding on some extra charges, or I'm misunderstanding the numbers, or dealer isn't giving you the employee price, or something strange.
    That is why I asked for your MSRP... At that MSRP, it sounds about right...

The GM employee price is actually under invoice.... Invoice minus holdback.. However, the Linear has $1000 less dealer cash incentive than the Aero.

I've heard the same thing about acceleration comparisons, when both are equipped with automatic.. Evidently the automatic is not a good combination with the turbo motor..

Interesting about the GM card points... I guess I've heard that before about Saab, but didn't remember.. One more reason for me not to get the GM card.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    He said it was 23,784 including 6% tax.

Selling price of the car was under $22K, I'll bet.
    At $22K, he pays tax on $27K... that's $1620, and only leaves $164 for doc fee and the actual state paperwork.

Compared to an MSRP in the $29s, I'm pretty sure he did just fine.

Now if I can just find one of these puppies to drive. Subie dealer here in Wilmington NC has one automatic OB Sport and one 5-speed WRX sedan, and Saab has zero 9-2X's. Not going to buy sight unseen either, ya know?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • scootertrash2scootertrash2 Member Posts: 71
    Both models Linear/Aero have the "discount" But the Aero has a $7-8000 rebate and the non-turbo has a much smaller rebate- in the $2-3000 range.
    Also you do not HAVE to use premium. The ECM will make the necessary adjustments and will run fine on whatever gas you use.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    The "discount" gets you the car at invoice less holdback.

The Aero has a $6000 rebate; the Linear has a $5000 rebate. In most states your sales tax is figured before this amount is subtracted.

The net result of the discounts and rebates is that a Linear starts at roughly $16,8 while an Aero starts near $19,4.

AFAIK, IMHO, YMMV, etc. Options, doc fees, tax, title, license are all extra. I have a feeling that options and doc fees may be where some negotiating still takes place. I would imagine the bottom dollar would be invoice on the options.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • saabarudrvrsaabarudrvr Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at an offer for $18405 as a "net cash price" for a black 9-2X linear with manual, with the cold package and a sun/moonroof. It comes from an MSRP of $25,485, a GM employee price of $23,405 ($2080 less) and then $5000 (rebate) off the the employee price.

Is this "good"? Should I be doing much better?

Thanks -
    Guys need your help here. A few days ago I posted about how happy I was buying a new 92X Linear for $23,784 fully loaded. At first I really thought I hit the nail in the head. However some of you were skeptical of my deal (in other words the car was too expensive)
    I have not seen the sticker price of “my new car” because this particular dealer does not have it in stock but is able to get it from somewhere else, however here I’ll be talking about the invoice price based on Edmunds.com and the price I will be paying.
    I was given the above price including all taxes (NJ 6%), fees, title, plates, etc.
    The Linear has a base price of $16,821 with nothing in it (based on saabusa.com and edmunds.com). I’ve opted to by all packages and these include:
    $ 1,238 auto trans
    $ 552 cold weather pkg
    $ 2,295 premium pkg
    $ 1,104 pwr moonroof
    $ 695 dest. charge

So, base price of $16,821 + $5,189 (all the options) = $22,010
    $22,010 + $695 = $22,705
    $22,705 + $1,660 (tax rounded up including the rebate) = $24,355
    So, invoice price + tax (minus fees, title, plates, etc.) = $24,355 and I’m paying
    $23,784 (delivered). Why is this bad? It is below invoice.

Now, I persuaded my dealer even more I asked for four more options which he agreed to install: (wheel locks $26, rubber cargo mat $55, rear cup holder $28 and armrest extension $119). Dealer installed options amount to $228.

Reason for posting this is that I keep reading that on top of the $5000Linear or $6000Aero GM discount there would be another $2000/3000 rebate. What am I doing wrong here? Has anyone bought a similar Saab? How much you paid? I’m open to advice.

Thanks.
  • jtomjtom Member Posts: 26
    Hi all-

A little late to the party, but I see Saab has the employee discount price and I want one. I see a base linear comes up at $16,821. This appears to be the exact amount of employee pricing +$695 transportation and $130 prep and handling charge.But I see carsdirect has a pricing of $17666 which seems to be $16821 PLUS these charges. This seems high as the Advertised price all over the internet is $800 less. Anyhow, any insight is helpful. I don't have a dealer on our island(maui). Who has experience using a third party mechanic for warranty issues with Saab? Thanks in advance, this forum has been helpful to say the least. - julie
  • jtomjtom Member Posts: 26
    Stockton-

From what others have posted, it seems the $16821 base includes the destination fee of $695

see the link the GMC 'suppliers price list' a few threads prior and download the file, then you can do the math yourself.

employee program price 9-2x linear base =20996
    $20996-5000 rebate=15996
    15996+$695 dest and $130 prep&handling fee=BINGO **$16821**

so, I'd ask your sales guy why he added the $695 as appears to be included already. The website says add tax, doc fee, etc. BUT doesn't mention destination fee. Please correct me if anyone knows otherwise.thanks.

julie
    I think your numbers all add up...

Initially, it looked high, as I (and others, I presume) didn't realize that a Linear could be optioned out to $29,xxx..

It looks to me, like you got the employee price minus the $5000... I don't see a problem with your deal.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• btimmons710btimmons710 Member Posts: 8
    I haven't made it to my dealer yet, but thought I'd ask some questions before I go to try and make sure I'm totally informed. Can anyone confirm exactly how this discount works w/the cash allowance? I'm thinking discount price ($19,425 for Aero) less the cash allowance ($6,000 for Aero) drops the starting price to roughly $13,500? That sounds WAY too good to be true. Perhaps the $19,425 includes all incentive? Can someone set me straight on exactly how this promotion works?

Thanks....
    The $19,425 includes the incentive..

Employee price is invoice minus holdback.. then, the incentive is subtracted from that..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• carnutzcarnutz Member Posts: 4
    I would like to know if when you get the employee pricing and you get $5000 rebate from GMAC, do you have to finance the vehicle thru GMAC? Also, do all dealer get this 5% of MSRP back from GM. that means that still that price is negotiable? thank you for the response :)
    Yes... the dealer gets 5% back from GM.. but, since the Employee price is below invoice, I don't think that all of that is gross profit.. You might be able to negotiate a few hundred more, but I wouldn't bet on it..

If you finance, you can use anyone you wish... If you lease, you have to go through GMAC to get the special price..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• troynohtroynoh Member Posts: 3
    GM pricing on the 9-2X Linear, including the discounts, is 16,821 for a nearly 24k Linear. Can you beat that? You cant get a Impreza RS for that and to be able to own a SAAB. I think it is one hell of a deal. No Civic, Corolla, Mazda 3, can be had for that. People should be running out to steal those cars. Having driving an Impreza I know the SAAB is a good car. I look forward to buying one this week.
  • wolftimwolftim Member Posts: 34
    Just a little note for anyone who is worried about the Aero using 93 octane. You don't have to use it, the turbo runs just fine with 87 or 89. I know the owners manual says to use 93 octane or whatever the highest your gas station uses. The truth is, and I have talked to a lot of mechanics about this, is that 87 octane gas will still work just fine. If you feel your car is acting sluggish run some good stuff in it to clear it out. I run 89 most often only because I don't trust 87 octane for any car I drive, turbo or not. Every once in a while I will run some 93 through it and everything is all good. Besides, what are you really saving between the cheap stuff and the good stuff, 20 cents per gallon. If you fill up with 12 gallons that's only $2.40 in savings, and who can put a cost on the funfactor difference between a turbo and non-turbo?
    There is no "good stuff" or Bad stuff" and it's actually not good to "once in a while I will run some 93 through it "

The only difference is octane. There is no difference in additives or any curative power in using higher octane fuel unless you have an old car with a carburetor.

It's bad to occasionally run other fuel octane through it --you are confusing the computer. It makes timing and fuel adjustments based on it's last few hundred miles of use. Just use the lower octane and stick with it. Your cars computer and sensors will make the necessary adjustments and it will run perfectly.
  • mahoneyjamahoneyja Member Posts: 4
    Hi there,

Just a point of clarification, to get the $5000 incentive do you have to finance/ lease? I am looking to pay cash on the car.

Also why don't other Saab owners like these cars? Is it because the 9 2-x is shared with Subaru that they don't like them? :confuse:
    you get the $5000 rebate on Linear, or $6000 on Aero, if you purchase. Not necessary to lease.

Yes, I suspect most Saab owners - and remember, Saab has a much more fanatical/enthusiast following than the typical mainstream car brand - do look down on the 9-2X because it's not a 'real' Saab. They are right - it isn't. But it is still a good car and at these prices, a great value.
    What would a "real" Saab small car be if they were to design one from scratch?

It would be a small, all wheel drive, 4 cylinder (with optional turbo) small sedan or wagon.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?
    i agree with you 100%.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    It would be a front drive turbo charged hatch. Saab did not make AWD cars until they borrowed from Subaru.
    Did anyone out there actually negotiate the price after all the discounts?
    I'm hearing from 2 Mass and 1 chicago dealer this isnt an option.

Just a sanity check...
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    What seller in their right mind is going to encourage a buyer to negotiate... or erode profit margins? Everything is negotiable! Remind the stealership that they want to "earn your business". ;) Clearly, you may request an "incentive" to buy from this seller. But obviously, they may just bow out... :sick:
    Good point, my question is really has any actually been successful doing so this month. :shades:
  • mike72mike72 Member Posts: 2
    When I do a TMV Pricing Report on the 9-2X (Aero with Sport and Aero Premium packages) on Edmunds.com, the total with options and destination comes up as $29,968, but then they discount it $12,000!!! This would be a great price, but it seems ridiculously low. Is this a reasonably close number to take to a dealer or would they laugh me out of the showroom? Anybody come close to this number? I live in Maryland, just outside of DC.

I'm trying to decide between 9-2X and Mazda3. Both nice cars, but a $30,000 car for under $20,000 would be hard to pass up.
    Not sure how TMV works.. it can be way off sometimes..

A Saab dealer showed me the employee price on a 9-2X Aero that he had sold recently..

MSRP $31,9XX
    GM employee price $29,3XX
    Rebate $6000
    Final price $23,3XX

Or, about $8600 off MSRP..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mike72mike72 Member Posts: 2
    Just noticed that Edmunds changed the "Incentives & Rebate" discount on TMV to $6,000. Looks like they accidentally doubled the rebate. Wouldn't that have been nice!!! Still a good price for the car. Plus, I've got a certificate for another $1,000 off for being an Oldsmobile customer.

I love the Mazda3, but gotta think real hard about the 9-2X at that price...
This discussion has been closed.